PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rivers states the Clippers team was laughable when he took over

jakub
05-18-2015, 07:12 PM
"I want to fix it,” Rivers told USA TODAY Sports. “I want to win. That’s why I came here. I knew when I came here that roster-wise it was going to be very difficult. The first thing I did before I took this job, I looked at the roster and we laughed. I was like, ‘What the (expletive) can we do with this?’ It was more the contracts. But we have to try to do it somehow. I don’t know how yet, but something will work out.”

I guess a core of Griffin, CP3, and Jordan is nothing.

Redrum187
05-18-2015, 07:16 PM
I hope he doesn't make the same mistake as another player and call Griffin, CP3, and Jordan "pieces". lol

Raidaz4Life
05-18-2015, 07:21 PM
Doc is the only joke were laughing about in this conversation.

Clippersfan86
05-18-2015, 07:49 PM
Doc is a fraud in every sense of the word. Team was actually MORE talented when he took over than this ******** he built. The only reason the team hasn't gotten worse is that Griffin/DJ both took leaps, very little of which was caused by Doc most likely considering their age, athleticism and upside. His ONLY key addition has been Redick, which came at the cost of Bledsoe. Olshey drafted Griffin/Jordan and traded for Bledsoe on draft night. He also traded for CP3.

Redrum187
05-18-2015, 07:51 PM
Doc is a fraud in every sense of the word. Team was actually MORE talented when he took over than this ******** he built. The only reason the team hasn't gotten worse is that Griffin/DJ both took leaps, very little of which was caused by Doc most likely considering their age, athleticism and upside. His ONLY key addition has been Redick, which came at the cost of Bledsoe. Olshey drafted Griffin/Jordan and traded for Bledsoe on draft night. He also traded for CP3.

lol That's a good point. Perhaps the team was more talented then than it is now.

Clippersfan86
05-18-2015, 07:55 PM
People like to say Doc improved us? Vinny's last year here... Clippers won 56 games, got to 2nd round of playoffs as well and that was with a raw 18 ppg Griffin that Vinny stupidly played just 21 mpg and DeAndre who's confidence he killed and played very little. The defense was ranked 10th that year. Hey we got an elite defensive coach supposedly right?? Yet we ranked 16th defense this year. I'm trying to figure out what Doc has even improved? Gentry improved our offense a ton two years ago and this year it merely sustained because the system was in place.

flea
05-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Doc is just as self-absorbed as ever. Take some responsibility for your team's collapse, please. I'm not big on blaming coaches for teams falling apart but that's what they're supposed to do - take the blame when it's bad and don't get credit when it's good. Look at Spoelstra, he's a top half coach IMO yet everyone demonizes him rather than blame the players for failing. He doesn't whine about having a bunch of primadonnas and outsized egos around him.

JEDean89
05-18-2015, 08:03 PM
Wow, Doc is imo, back to needing to prove his worth in this league. The fact is that he traded his most valuable piece, Eric Bledsoe, for Jared Dudley and JJ Redick. Bledsoe should have netted them that young upcoming wing that put them over the top. That is imo, their biggest weakness, their wings suck. Rivers, Crawford, Barnes. He didn't have to trade Bledsoe when he did, and I believe he could have played together next to Paul. The fact is, that Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Garnett core was so good that all he had to do was let them play. To be in a situation now, where he has to make up for roster deficiencies against a team with plenty of their own is apparently really challenging for him. CP and Blake were 2 of the 5 best players this playoffs imo. Cp3 is getting old. I think they will have a shot next year but with OKC coming back, SA not going anywhere (and possibly acquiring a new star), GS maturing in their prime, the Rockets only improving and it will be tough. This should have been their year but they choked.

PowerHouse
05-18-2015, 10:57 PM
When the fuq did Doc say this? The only thing laughable is that Doc cant out-do what Vinny did.

KB24PG16
05-18-2015, 11:06 PM
thibs made doc

Mr_Jones
05-18-2015, 11:14 PM
Get my son here now. Get rid of everything for god sakes trade everything for my son!!!

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-18-2015, 11:20 PM
He lauded at what he inherited? Wtf? This can't be real. I would kill to have that team as a start.

bluefire7002
05-18-2015, 11:21 PM
Doc can never take blame for anything, which is why I've never liked him. I remember when his Celtics lost game 7 he kept saying afterwards his team was still better and it was due to injuries they lost.

Anyways, He has too much on his plate with the Clippers. Id honestly would of kept Dudley than having his son come in.

bluefire7002
05-18-2015, 11:22 PM
Get my son here now. Get rid of everything for god sakes trade everything for my son!!!

I was laughing so hard those first 2 games against the Rockets when he crossed himself over and fell :laugh:

Clippersfan86
05-18-2015, 11:45 PM
http://clipperblog.com/2015/05/18/doc-rivers-comments-about-clippers-cap-situation-say-more-about-him-than-the-team/

Good, short read on this

Cracka2HI!
05-18-2015, 11:48 PM
There isn't much doubt that the roster has far less talent overall than it did when Doc took over. I'm not sure who you can blame for the biggest playoff collapse I can remember if not the Coach and GM. I hope he doesn't really feel that way.

tredigs
05-19-2015, 12:04 AM
The question is, does Ballmer do anything?

FOXHOUND
05-19-2015, 12:04 AM
"I want to fix it,” Rivers told USA TODAY Sports. “I want to win. That’s why I came here. I knew when I came here that roster-wise it was going to be very difficult. The first thing I did before I took this job, I looked at the roster and we laughed. I was like, ‘What the (expletive) can we do with this?’ It was more the contracts. But we have to try to do it somehow. I don’t know how yet, but something will work out.”

I guess a core of Griffin, CP3, and Jordan is nothing.

Guys, he says it right there.

And he was right, speaking about the depth. The team had no young talent to develop for role players, so they've had to rely on makeshift options like a Matt Barnes. They had no cap flexibility, so they had to rely on limited resources. Now I will say the Hawes signing was clearly a large mistake, although hindsight is always 20/20 and big man depth is always important. Still, that signing clearly blew up in their face badly as one of the few resources they had to get a good player and it ended up being used on a big who wasn't even consistently in the rotation.

Still, the point he made was about the contracts and lack of resources and he has a point there.

Cracka2HI!
05-19-2015, 12:14 AM
The team had plenty of assets considering they had just acquired CP3. They still had Bledsoe and Caron Butler's valuable expiring contract. What is laughable is turning that into JJ Reddick and Jared Dudley. Then trading a #1 pick to get rid of Dudley the next year. Best part is...The Bucks ended up taking Butler from Phoenix later that off-season. Doc could have gotten Reddick for Butler straight up if he had any savvy at all. That is the worst part of the Bledsoe trade and most people don't even know it.

Clippersfan86
05-19-2015, 12:37 AM
The question is, does Ballmer do anything?

Unfortunately no. He's been super passive all year. I was expecting Cuban 2.0, instead he hired PR people and doesn't do interviews even now.

Clippersfan86
05-19-2015, 12:38 AM
Doc has traded at least 3 draft picks too. Let us not forget 2nd round picks netted role players like Brewer, KJ McDaniels and a few others at the trade deadline. He traded away all our picks when their value was at a record high.

FOXHOUND
05-19-2015, 12:56 AM
The team had plenty of assets considering they had just acquired CP3. They still had Bledsoe and Caron Butler's valuable expiring contract. What is laughable is turning that into JJ Reddick and Jared Dudley. Then trading a #1 pick to get rid of Dudley the next year. Best part is...The Bucks ended up taking Butler from Phoenix later that off-season. Doc could have gotten Reddick for Butler straight up if he had any savvy at all. That is the worst part of the Bledsoe trade and most people don't even know it.

I don't think it's fair to call that return laughable, JJ Redick is a good player and Dudley is solid. Of course is hindsight it's easy to say look at how good Bledsoe did vs what they got, but it's not like GM's are looking to give away talent either. They definitely could not have gotten Redick for Butler straight up. I definitely agree with you on the #1 in the Dudley dump, THAT was straight bad.

Even then though, that's not plenty of assets. Really all they had was Bledsoe as an asset, and yeah in hindsight walking away with Redick, Rivers and a #1 less is definitely a blunder. But that's really it though. The rest of the roster is mostly the same. Crawford and Barnes were already there, there were some vets like Grant Hill, Chauncey Billups and Lamar Odom who had no long term potential.

I think the thing is when you have such low flexibility you just have that much less trial for error, and building teams isn't that simple. I think the Hawes signing is the biggest mistake, because at least in that trade they got a good player and potential like that only goes so far in a trade.

FriedTofuz
05-19-2015, 12:58 AM
clippers should fire doc and sign thibs if the bulls let him go.

DillyDill
05-19-2015, 01:46 AM
Can a Clipp fan tell what happen to GM Neil? He was building that team up rather nicely

Cracka2HI!
05-19-2015, 02:06 AM
I don't think it's fair to call that return laughable, JJ Redick is a good player and Dudley is solid. Of course is hindsight it's easy to say look at how good Bledsoe did vs what they got, but it's not like GM's are looking to give away talent either. They definitely could not have gotten Redick for Butler straight up. I definitely agree with you on the #1 in the Dudley dump, THAT was straight bad.

Even then though, that's not plenty of assets. Really all they had was Bledsoe as an asset, and yeah in hindsight walking away with Redick, Rivers and a #1 less is definitely a blunder. But that's really it though. The rest of the roster is mostly the same. Crawford and Barnes were already there, there were some vets like Grant Hill, Chauncey Billups and Lamar Odom who had no long term potential.

I think the thing is when you have such low flexibility you just have that much less trial for error, and building teams isn't that simple. I think the Hawes signing is the biggest mistake, because at least in that trade they got a good player and potential like that only goes so far in a trade.

I see it differently. Saying there weren't any assets is also not giving Doc credit for his 2 1st Round draft picks Reggie Bullock and CJ Wilcox. He has traded all 2nd Round picks as well. When Doc took control of the team the assets looked like; Bledsoe, Butler(expiring), and 3 1st Round picks. That seems like it could have given the team a better bench than; Big Baby, Hawes, Rivers, Turkuglu and Hudson. I'd like to see Doc hire a proper GM.

bleedprple&gold
05-19-2015, 02:46 AM
The only thing laughable is some of the moves Doc has made. That Dudley trade was straight awful. They unloaded him at the expense of a 1st round pick, for what? So they could clear cap space? They were already well over the cap with or without Dudley. Doc must not understand how the salary cap works. And If they kept Dudley he could have helped them and been their best option at the 3 this year, or they could have used that 1st Doc coughed up in the Dudley trade for you know, a perimeter player that could have actually helped the team like Arron Afflalo. Also Doc making Dudley play with a fracture knee was dumb as hell. Or he could have used the mid-level last year on a 3 instead of wasting it on Spencer Hawes. Their poor perimeter play was nobody's fault but Doc's, making one awful move after another.

Clippersfan86
05-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Can a Clipp fan tell what happen to GM Neil? He was building that team up rather nicely

Donald Sterling offered him a 1 year, minimum GM salary. Paul Allen offered like 2 or 3 mill a year for 3 years. Sterling had him working off contract for years man. Cheap Mofo.

KnicksorBust
05-19-2015, 09:55 AM
Starting to wonder if he is just overrated in general. He was the worst coach in the nba before the Celts got KG. Suddenly with vet leaders like KG, PP, and Ray he is a top coach...

Scoots
05-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Cool story Glenn.

Being a Warriors fan I want Doc to stay out his contract ... the Clippers will never be heard from again.

tredigs
05-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Seems like they may be losing DJ now, and they don't even have the cap space to replace him next year.

b_russ
05-19-2015, 12:27 PM
The best offseason move the Clippers could make would be Doc relinquishing his player transaction duties.

True Sports Fan
05-19-2015, 12:57 PM
It's funny because he left Celtics as soon as they went into a rebuilding faze and left for team with two stars and DJ and claims the roster was laughable.

Wasn't the greatest team, but clearly better than the situation he bolted from in Boston. One of the most overrated coaches ever.

FOXHOUND
05-19-2015, 12:58 PM
I see it differently. Saying there weren't any assets is also not giving Doc credit for his 2 1st Round draft picks Reggie Bullock and CJ Wilcox. He has traded all 2nd Round picks as well. When Doc took control of the team the assets looked like; Bledsoe, Butler(expiring), and 3 1st Round picks. That seems like it could have given the team a better bench than; Big Baby, Hawes, Rivers, Turkuglu and Hudson. I'd like to see Doc hire a proper GM.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I'm definitely not saying he's made great moves by any means. Bullock and Wilcox are late first round picks though. It's hard to get those kind of picks to turn into anything, especially in the first year or two of their careers.

Right, they had Bledsoe, Butler and a 1st round pick each year, and with their records those are later first round picks.

He moved Bledsoe and Butler for Redick and Dudley

He moved Dudley and a 1st to clear cap space to maintain the ability to use the MLE and BI-annual after signing Baby and Hedo.

He used the MLE on Spencer Hawes
He used the BI-annual on Jordan Farmar

He traded Reggie Bullock for Austin Rivers

He used a 1st on CJ Wilcox

----

Idk if I missed any, but I think those are all his major moves since taking over.

I think the Bledsoe trade was OK. Definitely not great in hindsight, but idk if it's fair to call is bad either considering the circumstances at the time and the fact that they did walk away with a good player in Redick and a solid one in Dudley.

The Dudley trade looking back, not a bad move at all. Dudley didn't fit in with them and while losing a 1st sucks he did it to maintain the ability to use the exceptions, which was a good trade off for a late first round pick when you're trying to win now. It also allowed the flexibility to resign Baby and Hedo, so essentially Dudley and a late 1st became four players. I would say that was a good move, it was a good plan to fix their depth problems.

The MLE signing of Hawes - horrible
The BI-annual signing of Farmar - horrible

This is where I think he screwed the team, just completely wasted those crucial assets.

Trading Bullock for Rivers - Good trade

1st on Wilcox - way too early for anything

So looking back, I think his plan was good. He had limited resources and set up a plan to turn Bledsoe, Butler and a 1st into 5 players, one being a starter. Good plan on paper, and Hawes certainly wasn't a bad player last year while Farmer has proven to be solid here and there.

The question is what failed more, Rivers the GM in signing those players with the exceptions or Rivers the coach in not finding a way to use them at all? Idk, either way not good for him.

no1baller13
05-19-2015, 02:42 PM
Even if embellished, he is an idiot for saying that. I doubt he would have left the Celtics if the roster was "laughable." This guy just does not know when to shut his mouth. His team lost in an embarrassing fashion after beating the Spurs and is trying to compensate by making these ridiculous comments.

leprechaun5
05-19-2015, 03:05 PM
"The reason that I wanted this when it was made available [was] because of what they have and not what they don't have," Rivers said. "So I clearly think this is an extremely talented basketball team. There were times last year when they were the best team [in the league]. But what we have to figure out is, with the group we have, can we now do that in the postseason as opposed to just the regular season. So, I like the talent we have here, and obviously we're going to keep looking to improve."

He said this in introduction as Clippers coach. I also remember him calling Clippers roster more talented than Celtics team he had in 2008.

lol, please
05-19-2015, 03:19 PM
They are laughable now, so I don't really catch his drift.

One of the most overrated coaches ever.

Spoelstra? I agree.

Vinylman
05-19-2015, 03:23 PM
Doc is the epitome of a whiner...

There are tons of guys at the vet minimum that contribute...

just look at the Lakers ... ed davis, wes Johnson, ellington... None are "name" guys but all are solid role players off the bench.

Doc is not a good talent evaluator which is why he was lazy with the bench players he signed last season.

Aust
05-19-2015, 08:59 PM
If by laughable he means laughably stacked, then yes.

magic0320
05-19-2015, 10:18 PM
This coach is so overrated he made clippers worse and talking trash. how was that 3-1 lead xD haha

FOXHOUND
05-19-2015, 10:33 PM
He said this in introduction as Clippers coach. I also remember him calling Clippers roster more talented than Celtics team he had in 2008.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Why did I try to defend this idiot (Doc). Sorry.

Clippersfan86
05-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Seems like they may be losing DJ now, and they don't even have the cap space to replace him next year.

CP3/Griffin/Redick alone good for 50 wins, 5-8 seed and 2nd round probably. Then the following year cap soars like 20 million. Even if they can't somehow S&T DJ... they only have to wait 1 season to get a 3rd seed. AND if he does leave they will have full MLE.

Cracka2HI!
05-20-2015, 12:47 AM
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I'm definitely not saying he's made great moves by any means. Bullock and Wilcox are late first round picks though. It's hard to get those kind of picks to turn into anything, especially in the first year or two of their careers.

Right, they had Bledsoe, Butler and a 1st round pick each year, and with their records those are later first round picks.

He moved Bledsoe and Butler for Redick and Dudley

He moved Dudley and a 1st to clear cap space to maintain the ability to use the MLE and BI-annual after signing Baby and Hedo.

He used the MLE on Spencer Hawes
He used the BI-annual on Jordan Farmar

He traded Reggie Bullock for Austin Rivers

He used a 1st on CJ Wilcox

----

Idk if I missed any, but I think those are all his major moves since taking over.

I think the Bledsoe trade was OK. Definitely not great in hindsight, but idk if it's fair to call is bad either considering the circumstances at the time and the fact that they did walk away with a good player in Redick and a solid one in Dudley.

The Dudley trade looking back, not a bad move at all. Dudley didn't fit in with them and while losing a 1st sucks he did it to maintain the ability to use the exceptions, which was a good trade off for a late first round pick when you're trying to win now. It also allowed the flexibility to resign Baby and Hedo, so essentially Dudley and a late 1st became four players. I would say that was a good move, it was a good plan to fix their depth problems.

The MLE signing of Hawes - horrible
The BI-annual signing of Farmar - horrible

This is where I think he screwed the team, just completely wasted those crucial assets.

Trading Bullock for Rivers - Good trade

1st on Wilcox - way too early for anything

So looking back, I think his plan was good. He had limited resources and set up a plan to turn Bledsoe, Butler and a 1st into 5 players, one being a starter. Good plan on paper, and Hawes certainly wasn't a bad player last year while Farmer has proven to be solid here and there.

The question is what failed more, Rivers the GM in signing those players with the exceptions or Rivers the coach in not finding a way to use them at all? Idk, either way not good for him.

I see you came around in another post but yea I'm not sure what you are trying to defend. Even if I am being too hard on Doc for his moves. I think it's more reasonable to say a good GM could have gotten JJ Reddick who was a Free Agent for Caron Butler. I can see a position where someone can defend the Bledsoe trade but the best player he got in the deal was a freakin Free Agent. I actually think he overpaid big for Reddick too. I don't think he would have had teams burning his down his door at nearly $7 million per year. The Bucks took on Butler's contract later in the off-season so saying Doc could have gotten Reddick for Butler is more accurate than calling it a good return imo.

Those late 1st's should have been traded if Doc couldn't bring in a decent player. Why would draft an old 1 dimensional shooter like Bullock and follow it up with a carbon copy in Wilcox? Why not draft NBA caliber athletes instead of veteran college players that could never make it due to lack of NBA talent? Admittedly low picks rarely make it but 23 year old rookies make it even less. Doc doesn't like young inexperienced players but that doesn't mean a 1st and Jared Dudley for Chris Dougals Roberts, Epke Udoh and Hedo Turkuglu is a good trade.

You put a nice spin on that trade but he did not free up exceptions by doing that deal. You sort of have it backwards. It was another HUGE folly. A bigger blunder than I can imagine a proper GM ever making. Doc already used the exceptions before he looked at the hard cap I guess. The rule is if you use the exceptions you can't go over the hard cap at any point. Well Doc got there. The only way he was able to fill out the roster was by moving Dudley for a 1st. He backed himself into a corner he couldn't get out of and had to pull the trigger. I think it's more than fair to say any GM and really any knowlegable fan could tell you keeping your 1st Round pick and signing a PG for the minimum like Ramon Sessions would have been WAY better than signing Jordan Farmar and losing a 1st Rounder.

I try not to rip my team. I really do. I honestly think calling Doc the worst GM in the league is very fair. I'd love to get Elgin Baylor for crying out loud.

DillyDill
05-20-2015, 01:45 AM
Donald Sterling offered him a 1 year, minimum GM salary. Paul Allen offered like 2 or 3 mill a year for 3 years. Sterling had him working off contract for years man. Cheap Mofo.

Damn succs if he was their that roster would be looking killer

Scoots
05-20-2015, 12:32 PM
CP3/Griffin/Redick alone good for 50 wins, 5-8 seed and 2nd round probably. Then the following year cap soars like 20 million. Even if they can't somehow S&T DJ... they only have to wait 1 season to get a 3rd seed. AND if he does leave they will have full MLE.

In 2 years not only will the cap go way up, Barnes and Crawford will likely be dumped and the Clippers have a 1st round pick. It's just that next year is going to suffer in the meantime.

Clippersfan86
05-20-2015, 01:29 PM
In 2 years not only will the cap go way up, Barnes and Crawford will likely be dumped and the Clippers have a 1st round pick. It's just that next year is going to suffer in the meantime.

Actually Clippers may cut Barnes/Crawford now. They only are guaranteed like 1 mill this coming season.

Scoots
05-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Actually Clippers may cut Barnes/Crawford now. They only are guaranteed like 1 mill this coming season.

Yes, and 1 or 2 more roster spots to fill. The Clippers could get lucky and find some cheap young players they can develop, but Doc is not big for developing players from what I've seen.

JasonJohnHorn
05-20-2015, 03:56 PM
I still think Doc is one of the better coaches in the NBA, but his performance was underwhelming against Houston.

You blow a team out in games 3 and 4 and take a 3-1, there is no excuse for losing.

Scoots
05-20-2015, 04:07 PM
I still think Doc is one of the better coaches in the NBA, but his performance was underwhelming against Houston.

You blow a team out in games 3 and 4 and take a 3-1, there is no excuse for losing.

Has Doc ever developed a young player from rookie to star?

FOXHOUND
05-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Has Doc ever developed a young player from rookie to star?

I have never been a big fan of his and always found him overrated, but Rajon Rondo would qualify. There's also that Tracy McGrady guy, he did pretty good at age 21 under Doc in Orlando.

Doc Rivers has coached for 15 full seasons and only 2 of those have been losing seasons. I get the annoyances with him, but if anything he's become underrated. You don't coach that many years with that kind of record (700-524 for .572) by accident.

FOXHOUND
05-20-2015, 08:24 PM
I see you came around in another post but yea I'm not sure what you are trying to defend. Even if I am being too hard on Doc for his moves. I think it's more reasonable to say a good GM could have gotten JJ Reddick who was a Free Agent for Caron Butler. I can see a position where someone can defend the Bledsoe trade but the best player he got in the deal was a freakin Free Agent. I actually think he overpaid big for Reddick too. I don't think he would have had teams burning his down his door at nearly $7 million per year. The Bucks took on Butler's contract later in the off-season so saying Doc could have gotten Reddick for Butler is more accurate than calling it a good return imo.

Those late 1st's should have been traded if Doc couldn't bring in a decent player. Why would draft an old 1 dimensional shooter like Bullock and follow it up with a carbon copy in Wilcox? Why not draft NBA caliber athletes instead of veteran college players that could never make it due to lack of NBA talent? Admittedly low picks rarely make it but 23 year old rookies make it even less. Doc doesn't like young inexperienced players but that doesn't mean a 1st and Jared Dudley for Chris Dougals Roberts, Epke Udoh and Hedo Turkuglu is a good trade.

You put a nice spin on that trade but he did not free up exceptions by doing that deal. You sort of have it backwards. It was another HUGE folly. A bigger blunder than I can imagine a proper GM ever making. Doc already used the exceptions before he looked at the hard cap I guess. The rule is if you use the exceptions you can't go over the hard cap at any point. Well Doc got there. The only way he was able to fill out the roster was by moving Dudley for a 1st. He backed himself into a corner he couldn't get out of and had to pull the trigger. I think it's more than fair to say any GM and really any knowlegable fan could tell you keeping your 1st Round pick and signing a PG for the minimum like Ramon Sessions would have been WAY better than signing Jordan Farmar and losing a 1st Rounder.

I try not to rip my team. I really do. I honestly think calling Doc the worst GM in the league is very fair. I'd love to get Elgin Baylor for crying out loud.

Yeah his media comments at times are definitely dumb. I don't agree with the Redick for Butler thing, but your other points are plenty valid I think. The Clippers do have a proper GM, while Doc just makes the final decisions. I would have to think that they knew what they were doing cap wise before they made those signings, but you could be right. We don't know what kind of talks are going on behind the scenes, there could have been a number of moves being looked at.

Like Phil Jackson just recently revealed, the Lakers had a handshake agreement to trade for Garnett back before he ultimately went to Boston. You just never know what's actually going on. I do think that saying Rivers the executive has been in over his head so far is a very fair statement though.

Cracka2HI!
05-20-2015, 10:38 PM
Doc has done great job developing DJ in my mind. Blake has come a long under Doc as well but I think Blake was going to get there no matter what. He certainly is not great at developing young talent but he does deserve a lot of credit for DeAndre's Jordan defensive game.

Scoots
05-21-2015, 01:39 AM
He certainly is not great at developing young talent but he does deserve a lot of credit for DeAndre's Jordan numbers game.

Fixed it for you :)

I don't know how much Rondo developed ... I never could tell what he was going to do from one game to another and McGrady was already pretty good before Doc got a hold of him. I get the impression that Doc will build up the confidence along with the playing time of players he likes while destroying the confidence and taking all playing time of players he doesn't.

I don't think Doc is a bad coach, I think he's a bad GM and I think he's either a bad person or delusional based on the things he says to the press ("I'm not one to complain", "this team was a laughable") and his lunatic rantings on the sidelines.

JJ_JKidd
05-21-2015, 01:42 AM
The Clippers are still a joke last time I checked? Even after Doc taking over.

JNA17
05-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Doc is the epitome of a whiner...

There are tons of guys at the vet minimum that contribute...

just look at the Lakers ... ed davis, wes Johnson, ellington... None are "name" guys but all are solid role players off the bench.

Doc is not a good talent evaluator which is why he was lazy with the bench players he signed last season.

Ed Davis is a solid role player.

Ellington and Wes Johnson however are pure utter garbage.

Vinylman
05-22-2015, 03:31 PM

no they aren't for the minimum which was the point... their numbers are as good as Matt Barnes were this year and they were not the last man guarded on the floor like he was

Chronz
05-22-2015, 07:30 PM

When you're playing hedo Turk in 2015, you'll gladly take what you consider garbage

Vinylman
05-23-2015, 02:01 PM
When you're playing hedo Turk in 2015, you'll gladly take what you consider garbage

exactly... and i only used vet min guys on a **** team like my Lakers... there were plenty of other guys available.

Scoots
05-23-2015, 08:25 PM
I wanted Ed Davis for the Warriors ... but that Lakers draw pulled him in :)