PDA

View Full Version : DeAndre Jordan and Chris Paul have had falling out throughout season

spreadeagle
05-18-2015, 02:42 PM
"Things aren't good there," Reiter reports a source telling him, citing Paul's high-strung drive grating on Jordan.

"(Jordan) might leave. He really might."

@sportsreiter
"Sources: DeAndre Jordan and Chris Paul have had falling out throughout season, a fact that could push Jordan to another team in free agency."

Locker room dissent between players generally isn't covered in-depth by beat media, but there had been season-long rumblings that some of the Clippers didn't like each other.

Jordan wasn't talking free agency after Sunday's Game 7 loss to the Houston Rockets as both he and Paul were still coming to terms with another postseason failure. While coach Doc Rivers sounded confident Jordan will be back, it's probably not a slam dunk - even if for just salary cap reasons.

"It ain't easy with us contractually," Rivers said after Sunday's defeat. "There are no big deals out there that we're going to make, most likely. Our first priority is DJ."

Jordan, the NBA leader in field goal percentage and rebounding, is expected to listen to all offers this summer - with the Dallas Mavericks likely chief among them. As always, only Jordan's current team can offer him the max of five years and about $109 million. http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/766491

FlashBolt
05-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Rivers needs to go. Our first priority is DJ? Bull... You first priority should be getting a bench that can take the ease away from CP3/Blake. DJ can't score for crap and with an aging CP3, you're going to need to get it done soon. Rivers is forever overrated as hell. Wouldn't be surprised if he offers his son the max...

Scoots
05-18-2015, 07:13 PM
DJ is their first priority because they don't have any other moves they CAN make right now.

Clippersfan86
05-18-2015, 07:52 PM
DJ is their first priority because they don't have any other moves they CAN make right now.

Actually that's not exactly true. Moves are limited but there are a couple.

1. Clippers will have MLE. Have DJ's bird rights, so can sign full MLE THEN sign DJ after from what I read.

2. Clippers can trade DJ in a sign and trade for something decent. I'd love a package like Wilson Chandler+Jusuf Nurkic from Denver is we can. Gives a young center with great size, good defense and physical play. He has upside. Wilson Chandler had a nice little bounceback year and is just twice as good as Matt Barnes, does a bit of everything.

Cracka2HI!
05-19-2015, 12:06 AM
I honestly can't imagine the team without DJ. Who will get a rebound?

Bostonjorge
05-19-2015, 01:58 AM
Sign and trade to New Orleans for Asik and Gordon.

RaiderKid318
05-19-2015, 02:36 AM
Sign and trade to New Orleans for Asik and Gordon.

I wish lol

Nikeman
05-19-2015, 02:45 AM
I tell my friends this everyday.. its pathetic to watch Howard and Jordan shoot FTs.

If I am making 10+ mill, and I have ONE JOB, play basketball, and I am shooting 30% from the FT line, I would in my off-time, get a shooting coach and spend 6 hours a day shooting FTs. These guys dont seem to work at it one bit. Game after game, season after season they continually shoot horrendous percentages from the FT line.

Like dude, it can't be that hard to learn if you worked at it.

Saddletramp
05-19-2015, 02:57 AM
I tell my friends this everyday.. its pathetic to watch Howard and Jordan shoot FTs.

If I am making 10+ mill, and I have ONE JOB, play basketball, and I am shooting 30% from the FT line, I would in my off-time, get a shooting coach and spend 6 hours a day shooting FTs. These guys dont seem to work at it one bit. Game after game, season after season they continually shoot horrendous percentages from the FT line.

Like dude, it can't be that hard to learn if you worked at it.

"Hey, DJ, go spend 6 hours a day in the gym working on your free throws for your next contract"
"Oh, that'll earn me the max?l"
"No, you've already earned it. Now go get in the gym!"
"Already earned it? I'm good."

Scoots
05-19-2015, 03:40 PM

1. Clippers will have MLE. Have DJ's bird rights, so can sign full MLE THEN sign DJ after from what I read.

2. Clippers can trade DJ in a sign and trade for something decent. I'd love a package like Wilson Chandler+Jusuf Nurkic from Denver is we can. Gives a young center with great size, good defense and physical play. He has upside. Wilson Chandler had a nice little bounceback year and is just twice as good as Matt Barnes, does a bit of everything.

I know that if a team is against the cap and uses a S&T or the MLE then they are hard capped so I don't know if the Clippers can do both. They can't use the MLE until free agency starts. I know they don't have a 1st round pick I think they have a LATE 2nd round pick if I understand the trade language correctly. So you are correct, there are 2 things the Clippers can do now ... they can prepare to use a late late draft pick and see what kind of show that makes for the public, or they can talk about re-signing DJ. But that's about all they can do right now and one of them has a much better public show to it thus Doc saying "Our top priority right now is signing DJ" ... other than a late 2nd round pick (or cutting players) there is literally nothing else they can do.

After free agency starts they get more options ... but not a lot more.

From what I've read and heard the Clippers are not seen as a great free agent destination these days (the Lakers always seem to get deals nobody else can get) so free agency may come down to who the current Clippers players can sell on coming to join the team cheap.

Scoots
05-19-2015, 03:46 PM
"Hey, DJ, go spend 6 hours a day in the gym working on your free throws for your next contract"
"Oh, that'll earn me the max?l"
"No, you've already earned it. Now go get in the gym!"
"Already earned it? I'm good."

LOL.

Work ethic is a very hard thing to judge. One of my favorite stories I read this year was that supposedly when Draymond Green came in as a rookie 2nd round pick he was assigned a veteran and before his first season had started and in the middle of practice Green declared he needed a new veteran as his old one didn't want to work hard enough. The veteran in question was soon off the team and Green was assigned to David Lee.

Players who don't work hard hate players who do, and players who work hard hate players who don't. I don't know if it can be fixed if it's true that DJ doesn't put in the work.

Chronz
05-19-2015, 04:05 PM
wake me when real **** goes down

THE MTL
05-19-2015, 04:14 PM

Im just being "that guy". But blake is a pretty good rebounder and compensated for DJ when hackajordan brought him to the bench

beasted86
05-19-2015, 04:28 PM

False on signing DJ and having the full MLE. Trust me, I wish it were true. I've looked into it extensively. It would mean similarly the HEAT would be able to sign a player to the full MLE and then use Bird rights to resign Dragic (as a large raise for him over his current $7.5M would similarly put the HEAT into the luxury), but its against the rules.

The way the full MLE and BAE work is at no time before or after you use the exception can you be a luxury tax team for the duration of the season you used it. You cannot sign players after to go in the tax, nor can you make a trade that would raise the overall payroll into the luxury tax.

The Clippers and likewise HEAT will both be left with only the tax payer MLE, and won't get either the full MLE nor the BAE.... Either that or something went really wrong in free agency/trades.

beasted86
05-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Just missed that another poster basically explained it in fewer words.

Yeah, you're hard capped once you used the full MLE.

Chronz
05-19-2015, 05:54 PM
Im just being "that guy". But blake is a pretty good rebounder and compensated for DJ when hackajordan brought him to the bench
I hope ur right Just In case Hes gone but It didn't seem that way for the majority of the season

Method28
05-19-2015, 05:58 PM
Don't worry, Barnes will be starting at SF and he ALWAYS boxes out. He's our guy 😒

goingfor28
05-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Rivers needs to go. Our first priority is DJ? Bull... You first priority should be getting a bench that can take the ease away from CP3/Blake. DJ can't score for crap and with an aging CP3, you're going to need to get it done soon. Rivers is forever overrated as hell. Wouldn't be surprised if he offers his son the max...
First priority has to be DJ. Obviously they need a bench and a better starting SF but if DJ leaves they don't magically have a ton of money to spend.

Doc the GM does suck though.

Clippersfan86
05-19-2015, 10:41 PM
I know that if a team is against the cap and uses a S&T or the MLE then they are hard capped so I don't know if the Clippers can do both. They can't use the MLE until free agency starts. I know they don't have a 1st round pick I think they have a LATE 2nd round pick if I understand the trade language correctly. So you are correct, there are 2 things the Clippers can do now ... they can prepare to use a late late draft pick and see what kind of show that makes for the public, or they can talk about re-signing DJ. But that's about all they can do right now and one of them has a much better public show to it thus Doc saying "Our top priority right now is signing DJ" ... other than a late 2nd round pick (or cutting players) there is literally nothing else they can do.

After free agency starts they get more options ... but not a lot more.

From what I've read and heard the Clippers are not seen as a great free agent destination these days (the Lakers always seem to get deals nobody else can get) so free agency may come down to who the current Clippers players can sell on coming to join the team cheap.

Huh? Clippers have been the biggest draw in NBA free agency the last 3 years or so. They've gotten 90+ percent of the players they have pursued pretty much. Drawing free agency hasn't been an issue at all. The issue has been the players Doc has pursued to begin with. A bunch of has been, washed up, declining players. Hawes had like 7 suitors, 3 of which offered more money for example. But said he couldn't pass up the chance to play with stars like Griffin/CP3 for Doc.

blahblahyoutoo
05-20-2015, 12:40 AM
I guess dj isn't black enough for cp3

Cracka2HI!
05-20-2015, 01:02 AM
If the Clippers re-sign DJ they will be a tax team and have whatever exception is available for tax paying teams. I think they will use that to re-sign Baby or Austin. Maybe they can re-sign those guys without using it? I can't see anyone taking on Hawes. Crawford can be cut and is only guaranteed $1 million. I do think they could move that contract and someone would cut him for the savings. Question is...who can that get you? PJ Tucker would be a great fit and has had legal problems. Would Phoenix dump him? Even if they could they could probably get better. Point being...the roster will likely be worse again next season. That has been the theme of Doc's off-seasons. Imagine if DeMare Carrol and a warm body were brought in for the MLE instead of Spencer Hawes.

For outsiders thinking Clipper fans on this board are piling on now that it's gone south you are wrong. There are only 4 other Clipper fans that post here that I know of and none of us have liked any of Doc's moves. Ironically we all kind of tolerated the Rivers trade and that was by far his best move so far.

Saddletramp
05-20-2015, 05:10 AM
If the Clippers re-sign DJ they will be a tax team and have whatever exception is available for tax paying teams. I think they will use that to re-sign Baby or Austin. Maybe they can re-sign those guys without using it? I can't see anyone taking on Hawes. Crawford can be cut and is only guaranteed $1 million. I do think they could move that contract and someone would cut him for the savings. Question is...who can that get you? PJ Tucker would be a great fit and has had legal problems. Would Phoenix dump him? Even if they could they could probably get better. Point being...the roster will likely be worse again next season. That has been the theme of Doc's off-seasons. [b]Imagine if DeMare Carrol and a warm body were brought in for the MLE instead of Spencer Hawes[/i].

For outsiders thinking Clipper fans on this board are piling on now that it's gone south you are wrong. There are only 4 other Clipper fans that post here that I know of and none of us have liked any of Doc's moves. Ironically we all kind of tolerated the Rivers trade and that was by far his best move so far.

Carroll broke out this year, true, but I'm not sure he would of had the same sort of success on the Clippers. Atlanta has a better system for a journeyman that hadn't latched on yet anywhere. Actually, if you switch Hawes and Carroll, we might be having this same convo but switched.

Scoots
05-20-2015, 11:32 AM
Huh? Clippers have been the biggest draw in NBA free agency the last 3 years or so. They've gotten 90+ percent of the players they have pursued pretty much. Drawing free agency hasn't been an issue at all. The issue has been the players Doc has pursued to begin with. A bunch of has been, washed up, declining players. Hawes had like 7 suitors, 3 of which offered more money for example. But said he couldn't pass up the chance to play with stars like Griffin/CP3 for Doc.

They are going to have to take a LOT less next year to play for the Clippers I think. I'm not sure but the Clippers have 6 free agents and 1 draft pick so they need to fill 5 spots, 1 goes to DJ so they need to get 4 players for the MLE and those 4 players need to contribute if the Clippers bench situation is going to change.

Clippersfan86
05-20-2015, 01:17 PM
http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2015/05/19/chris-paul-and-deandre-jordan-beef-is-total-bs-says-clippers-teammate