PDA

View Full Version : Would LBJ and CP3 play well together?

JasonJohnHorn
05-18-2015, 01:56 AM
Earlier this year, when people were droning on about LBJ and Love not being 'friends', LBJ said that he only had three close friends in the NBA: Wade, Melo, and CP3.

With the Clippers being in a position to make the conference finals at the very least for the past four seasons, but failing to do so even once, it seems clear that the organization will have to re-evaluate what they are doing.

I may be wrong, but I think the Cavs will see the year end with disappointment as well.

Might a Irving/CP3 trade work well for both teams? I believe CP3 is the better point guard hands down, but Irving is much younger and gives the Clippers a longer window with Blake and DaJ, while CP3 would give the Cavs that MVP caliber play they need now.

That said, I'm not sure CP3 and LBJ would be that compatible. LBJ likes to bring the ball up, and CP3 is a traditional point guard. I think CP3 would be a great point guard for Love, Smith and Shump, and I think in the open court and fast breaks, he'd be great with LBJ, but when it comes to setting up plays and running the offense, I'm not sure that they are as compatible.

Do you think CP3 and LBJ would have good on court chemistry? How would they compliment each other? Or would they?

Ty22Mitchell
05-18-2015, 02:00 AM
No. There is too much of an overlap in skill set, and both are at their best with the ball in their hands. So imo, no.

Redrum187
05-18-2015, 02:04 AM
If LeBron were to be more of a score first, passer second, it would be a magical pairing. Either way, if they were on the same team, they would be better.

slashsnake
05-18-2015, 03:01 AM
No. There is too much of an overlap in skill set, and both are at their best with the ball in their hands. So imo, no.

Kinda buying this... but to be honest, Lebron and a Lebron clone would probably work just fine together with the exact skillset as well and there aren't many guys ever I'd say that about.

I mean both are elite players so I have a feeling it would work, but both dominate the ball when they are at their best. Whereas Kyrie can play more of an off-ball scorer/penetrator without running the offense through him every possession and be extremely effective. If you really wanted a player that about any other type could work with, Lebron's ability to change his game really opens that number of teammates up. Remember as a rookie he played mostly SG, then SF most of his career, then 80% of his time at PF but still running the point the last two years in Miami, which I haven't seen since Magic's little comeback...

It would still be tough to beat, two of the best perimeter defenders together, two of the best passers at their positions.. And when you remember back to Wade/Lebron it was two guys who really dominated the ball before. Heck even Kyrie in Cle before Lebron dominated the ball. Maybe with Paul, Lebron could play a little more off ball, work his post game a bit more against smaller guys..

But if I was the Cavs, I'd stick with Kyrie. When him and Lebron were both on the floor that team was really really good and just in their first season. And he just turned 23, whereas Paul just turned 30.

Method28
05-18-2015, 03:59 AM
In an ultimate NBA2k move, Cavs and Clips agree to swap Kyrie and Love (S&T) for CP3 and Blake

slashsnake
05-18-2015, 04:11 AM
In an ultimate NBA2k move, Cavs and Clips agree to swap Kyrie and Love (S&T) for CP3 and Blake

Lol, then just add Noah and they could have 4 players on that roster who are the best passers at their respective positions.

da ThRONe
05-18-2015, 10:53 AM
I think high IQ players figure it out, however on paper their greatest strength is the same thing. I think it works now because both have become much improved jump shooters and can play off the ball a little more than earlier in their respective careers.

JasonJohnHorn
05-18-2015, 01:36 PM
I think high IQ players figure it out, however on paper their greatest strength is the same thing. I think it works now because both have become much improved jump shooters and can play off the ball a little more than earlier in their respective careers.

I'm inclined to agree with this. These guys are pros and smart and they'd find a way to win. Blake and CP3 share the ball a lot.

Hawkeye15
05-18-2015, 01:46 PM

my opinion as well.

FlashBolt
05-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Of course it would work well. The issue is whether or not it is necessary. It might be overkill to the point where you're just wasting their abilities. I think with LeBron, you don't need a superstar or anything but just a really solid team overall. He can do anything any other superstar can do better so there really is no point unless he's tired and could use that helping hand.

jerellh528
05-18-2015, 02:42 PM
Sure, cp3 can make anyone better.

Minimal
05-18-2015, 04:25 PM
Wade and bron worked well. Why CP3 won't?

FlashBolt
05-18-2015, 05:01 PM
Wade and bron worked well. Why CP3 won't?

Well, because CP3 isn't the same player Wade is. Wade is a master of playing off-ball because he's able to find his spots whereas CP3 is more accustomed to dictating every measure of the game like LeBron. Not saying Wade+LeBron is better but styles make a team and I think Wade's game fit James in terms of Wade not needing the ball as much.

Minimal
05-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Well, because CP3 isn't the same player Wade is. Wade is a master of playing off-ball because he's able to find his spots whereas CP3 is more accustomed to dictating every measure of the game like LeBron. Not saying Wade+LeBron is better but styles make a team and I think Wade's game fit James in terms of Wade not needing the ball as much.
Before they came together, Wade and James were basically the same type players. They both dominated the ball. One took a step back eventually.

FlashBolt
05-18-2015, 05:47 PM
Before they came together, Wade and James were basically the same type players. They both dominated the ball. One took a step back eventually.

Yeah, but Wade is a better off-ball player than Chris Paul. Meaning, he can cut and get into his position without the ball whereas Chris is more of a hands on kinda guy. This has nothing to do with what Wade could do before James arrived and more to do with Wade's game when he doesn't have the ball. I'm not saying it won't work but simply put that Wade's game really fit James ball dominant playing style.

ewing
05-18-2015, 11:26 PM
of course. i actually think it would be a great match.

IBleedPurple
05-19-2015, 12:06 AM
I think that duo would flop.

It would work, with adjustments to style.

flea
05-19-2015, 12:11 AM
I mean it would work because they're both top 3-5 at their position all-time. But ideally, making CP3 a spot up shooter is 10x worse than making Kevin Love one - and people *****ed about that all season. Making Lebron play off-ball half or less than half of your team's possessions is an even more pointless waste of his talent. Rather see them face each other in a playoff series TBH.

FOXHOUND
05-19-2015, 12:13 AM
A couple of years ago I would have said no, but now I think yes. Both are far more capable - and more importantly, willing - to play without the ball. They both already share the ball a fair amount with their star teammates, Kyrie Irving and Blake Griffin, so I don't see why they would fail to do the same with each other. In LeBron's case it's the same, Irving is also a point guard. It's different in Paul's a bit, but LeBron also can post up and really he can just stand to the side for open hook ups like anyone else does when LeBron is driving.

It would open the door for more options, like a Paul-LeBron PnR. How do you stop that? Probably can't.

ewing
05-19-2015, 12:49 AM
I mean it would work because they're both top 3-5 at their position all-time. But ideally, making CP3 a spot up shooter is 10x worse than making Kevin Love one - and people *****ed about that all season. Making Lebron play off-ball half or less than half of your team's possessions is an even more pointless waste of his talent. Rather see them face each other in a playoff series TBH.

really. When the Heat were at there best i think Bron was filing more lanes on the fast break and cutting to take advantage of his finishing ability a lot more. LeBron is a hell a player maker, he is also a great finisher. Cp3 would get him touches inside 3 point line on moving towards the hole. That's a problem for anyone. He also good enough a PG to let LeBron be the play maker sometimes and when he does i really don't have a problem with him shooting open jump shots. its not like Paul cant shoot the ball. It would work great b/c they are both great players who have well rounded games. Of course, they would have to both adjust but it about wins not roto states

TheNumber37
05-19-2015, 01:23 AM
See Team USA

KnicksorBust
05-25-2015, 07:24 PM
Having 2 ball handlers is always a great thing. The only issue would be if neither could shoot from the perimeter or they fought over who was the alpha dog. Neither is a problem here.