PDA

View Full Version : Where does James Harden rank as alltime Rockets

JordansBulls
05-17-2015, 06:20 PM
After Hakeem where do you put him all time for the Rockets organization?

Is he ahead of Drexler as a Rocket, Barkley, Tmac, Yao, etc

SF8
05-17-2015, 06:24 PM
Ahead of Drexler for sure. Not Barkley. Over Yao (due to Yao only playing for few years) but not Tmac yet.

KnicksorBust
05-17-2015, 06:29 PM
Why rank somebody whose career could be 2x as impressive 3 weeks from now? Too soon.

flea
05-17-2015, 06:30 PM
Ahead of Drexler for sure. Not Barkley. Over Yao (due to Yao only playing for few years) but not Tmac yet.

Hopefully you mean because Drexler was already in the late stage of his career when he came to Houston, because he's definitely the superior player.

FlashBolt
05-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Hopefully you mean because Drexler was already in the late stage of his career when he came to Houston, because he's definitely the superior player.

No duh.. it says all-time Rockets. Please read carefully.

Hangtime
05-17-2015, 06:54 PM
Didn't Moses Malone play for the Rockets? Won a few MVP's while playing there. I would definitely put him right behind Hakeem.

Hawkeye15
05-17-2015, 07:26 PM
behind Hakeem, Moses, and McGrady for sure. For now.

Tony_Starks
05-17-2015, 07:38 PM
Too. Early.

mightybosstone
05-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Jesus.... OP and some of the other posters on here are fairly clueless. C'mon JB. No mention of Moses freaking Malone? If I had to rank all-time Rockets with a combination of talent, production, team success and longevity, my list would looking something like this:
1. Hakeem Olajuwon
2. Moses Malone
3. Elvin Hayes
4. Calvin Murphy
5. Rudy Tomjanovich (bonus points for being the coach in 94 and 95)
6. Yao Ming
7. Clyde Drexler
8. Tracy McGrady
9. James Harden
10. Ralph Sampson

Hawkeye15
05-17-2015, 07:47 PM
Jesus.... OP and some of the other posters on here are fairly clueless. C'mon JB. No mention of Moses freaking Malone? If I had to rank all-time Rockets with a competition of talent, production, team success and longevity, my list would looking something like this:
1. Hakeem Olajuwon
2. Moses Malone
3. Elvin Hayes
4. Calvin Murphy
6. Yao Ming
7. Clyde Drexler
8. Tracy McGrady
9. James Harden
10. Ralph Sampson

yeah, people really forget the Rox have actually had some really good teams. I just flipped over to BBR, and for sure, Hakeem, Moses, Murphy, T-Mac, Hayes, and Ming are above him. I think a case can be made Harden is over Rudy, and Clyde, but it's not worth a debate to me.

Though, Harden will probably enter top 3 by the end of this contract he is on.

JasonJohnHorn
05-17-2015, 07:57 PM
EDIT: Double post

JasonJohnHorn
05-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Seriously?

The guy has played for them for three year and won two series, and one of them barely.

He's a great player, but given that thye haven't even won a division title, let alone a conference title, let alone a championship with this guy, people talking about where he ranks because they just won a series makes it sound like you guys think the organization just opened up shop ten years ago.

If they get swept out of the next round and ended up trading him in the offseason, people wouldn't remember him being on the Rockets 15 years from now.

Let's wait until he accomplishes something significant with this team and wait until he's been around a while and time has passed before we start having this conversation.

Hakeem is the greatest Rocket ever, and frankly, Ralph Samson saw more success with the Rockets than Harden has yet. I mean, Harden has only won one more series than did Ron Artest.

Hakeem, Drexler, and Samson have all done more for the franchise, and Yao did as well. Even McGrady has sold more seats than Harden has. I mean, Rudy T, Moses Malone and Calvin Murphy have led the Rockets to a finals appearance, as has Samson. John Lucas has been to the finals twice with the Rockets. Let's wait until Harden pulls that off before we start going about what he means to the franchise historically.

Harden has put together three great years, and I look forward to more, but until and he the Rockets accomplish something other than Harden getting an impressive PER, ranking him in the Rockets franchise all-time is premature.

We might as well be asking where Anthony Davis ranks all time among forwards.

KnicksorBust
05-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Jesus.... OP and some of the other posters on here are fairly clueless. C'mon JB. No mention of Moses freaking Malone? If I had to rank all-time Rockets with a competition of talent, production, team success and longevity, my list would looking something like this:
1. Hakeem Olajuwon
2. Moses Malone
3. Elvin Hayes
4. Calvin Murphy
6. Yao Ming
7. Clyde Drexler
8. Tracy McGrady
9. James Harden
10. Ralph Sampson

You gotta be loving life right now. :)

JasonJohnHorn
05-17-2015, 08:03 PM
yeah, people really forget the Rox have actually had some really good teams. I just flipped over to BBR, and for sure, Hakeem, Moses, Murphy, T-Mac, Hayes, and Ming are above him. I think a case can be made Harden is over Rudy, and Clyde, but it's not worth a debate to me.

Though, Harden will probably enter top 3 by the end of this contract he is on.

Clyde has a championship, and Samson and Rudy T both have a conference championship, not to mention Rudy T's two rings as a coach.
Harden has to accomplish something special with the team before this conversation is even worth starting.

For all we know, they could be decimated in the next round, and Harden he be plagued by injuries the next three years and end up traded to the Suns or some $#!T like that.

Bostonjorge
05-17-2015, 08:05 PM
I would put Howard over harden

RLundi
05-17-2015, 08:06 PM
After 3 seasons and one WCF appearance?? He's behind all of the earlier-mentioned, save maybe Barkley, who did most of his damage with other teams.

mightybosstone
05-17-2015, 08:09 PM
You gotta be loving life right now. :)
I absolutely am. I'm on cloud nine right now.

I would put Howard over harden
:facepalm: Really? Howard plays a season and a half, and now he's ahead of a player who has played twice as much and had twice the impact? Howard may have played better at times in the postseason, but without Harden, the Rockets wouldn't be in the playoffs in the first place. Also, Harden has been pretty damn good in these playoffs even if he shot has been streaky at times. And he's just undeniably a better basketball player to Howard at this point in their careers.

Phantom Dreamer
05-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Ahead of Drexler for sure. Not Barkley. Over Yao (due to Yao only playing for few years) but not Tmac yet.You put Barkley ahead of Drexler?

Verbal Christ
05-17-2015, 08:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y4l16Yt3O4

Storied tradition. Beard has a little ways to go, but at this rate he will easily be one of the best.

More-Than-Most
05-17-2015, 08:29 PM
He plays no defense and in a game 7 gets all the credit even though the refs give him every call in the world while he shoots 7-20 with 7 turnovers. I have never seen a more overrated player... He is a one way player that gets Kobe Bryant treatment from the refs even though he doesnt deserve it... You wanna give Kobe every call in the world he ****ing deserves it because he put in the miles and did everything he had to do like him or hate him but holy **** Harden gets every damn call in the world.

Verbal Christ
05-17-2015, 08:51 PM
He plays no defense and in a game 7 gets all the credit even though the refs give him every call in the world while he shoots 7-20 with 7 turnovers. I have never seen a more overrated player... He is a one way player that gets Kobe Bryant treatment from the refs even though he doesnt deserve it... You wanna give Kobe every call in the world he ****ing deserves it because he put in the miles and did everything he had to do like him or hate him but holy **** Harden gets every damn call in the world.

Im collecting Hater Tears, can you bottle yours up and we can work out payment? Mmmkay thanks.

THE MTL
05-17-2015, 11:15 PM
1st all time in flopping

LakerShow
05-17-2015, 11:26 PM

Good post.

rhino17
05-17-2015, 11:38 PM
behind Hakeem, Moses, and McGrady for sure. For now.

Harden is 100% ahead of McGrady. Tmac didn't do anything better than Harden.

Dream and Moses are obviously miles ahead of everyone.

Then there are old timers like Rudy T, Calvin, Clyde, etc.

Harden has already passed Tmac and Yao, he has accomplished more than either of them did. Yao mostly because of injuries, but he is 100% ahead of tmac

More-Than-Most
05-17-2015, 11:52 PM

Harden has already passed Tmac and Yao, he has accomplished more than either of them did. Yao mostly because of injuries, but he is 100% ahead of tmac

:laugh:

Wait Harden is above Tmac? Forreal? Hey you wanna hear something interesting.. Tmac did his thing in each and every playoffs for houston and they didnt win... How the hell is that on tmac? Tmac had better playoffs then harden is currently having by alot because DEFENSE... I guess 26-6-6 or 24-7-6 while shooting over 40 percent from the field almost every year in the playoffs and playing good Defense something Harden doesn't do means Harden--->Tmac all because they are in the western conference finals.

slashsnake
05-17-2015, 11:56 PM
My list.

Hakeem, Yao, Moses Malone, Rudy T, Elvin Hayes, Ralph Sampson are the clear cut betters.

I personally would put Calvin Murphy above him.

I can see him there with Drexler, Francis, Tmac, Kojis...

So all time, 7-10 range.

lamzoka
05-17-2015, 11:58 PM
Jesus.... OP and some of the other posters on here are fairly clueless. C'mon JB. No mention of Moses freaking Malone? If I had to rank all-time Rockets with a combination of talent, production, team success and longevity, my list would looking something like this:
1. Hakeem Olajuwon
2. Moses Malone
3. Elvin Hayes
4. Calvin Murphy
6. Yao Ming
7. Clyde Drexler
8. Tracy McGrady
9. James Harden
10. Ralph Sampson

Steve Francis > James Harden

Hawkeye15
05-17-2015, 11:59 PM

how on earth has he passed Tmac and Ming?

Saddletramp
05-18-2015, 12:01 AM
He's a great player, but given that thye haven't even won a division title, let alone a conference title, let alone a championship with this guy, people talking about where he ranks because they just won a series makes it sound like you guys think the organization just opened up shop ten years ago

I agree with a lot of what you said, but they did win a division title waaaaaay back about a month ago.

More-Than-Most
05-18-2015, 12:02 AM
James Harden is averaging 10 free throws a game... Do you know how insane that is over the span of 13 plus games.... 10 free throws a game... he averaged 11 free throws a game 2 years ago and 9 last year... They are letting him go to the line over every little thing..... They did the same crap when Lebron played on the cavs a few years back... Lebron actually drove all the time back then... Harden has not been going to the rim that much this post season and yet he goes to the line 10 times a game.

rhino17
05-18-2015, 12:54 AM
how on earth has he passed Tmac and Ming?

Tmac played 5 isn seasons as a Rocket, and Harden has played 3, what exactly did tmac do that puts him higher up than Harden?

In the last 2 years alone, James has gotten not only into the 2nd round, but the 3rd, been on 2 all nba 1st teams, been runner up for MVP, and won more games in a season than tmac ever did. Tmac NEVER did any of that

There isn't one aspect of the game that tmac was better at than James while he was on the rockets.

Redrum187
05-18-2015, 01:54 AM
Tmac played 5 isn seasons as a Rocket, and Harden has played 3, what exactly did tmac do that puts him higher up than Harden?

In the last 2 years alone, James has gotten not only into the 2nd round, but the 3rd, been on 2 all nba 1st teams, been runner up for MVP, and won more games in a season than tmac ever did. Tmac NEVER did any of that

There isn't one aspect of the game that tmac was better at than James while he was on the rockets.

I actually agree with almost everything you said, but you are going to piss off some people in here. Tmac is regarded as having a peak superior to Kobe's. He is an enigma that went from underrated to overrated.

mightybosstone
05-18-2015, 08:22 AM

In terms of peak production while wearing a Rockets jersey, you could make a case for Harden as high as 3, but I think longevity has to count for something. And McGrady's postseason numbers were better. I definitely would not rank him over Yao yet.

Steve Francis > James Harden
No. Absolutely not. Francis should not be spoken in the same breath as Harden as a basketball player and he didn't accomplish remotely enough in his time in Houston.

mightybosstone
05-18-2015, 08:30 AM
James Harden is averaging 10 free throws a game... Do you know how insane that is over the span of 13 plus games.... 10 free throws a game... he averaged 11 free throws a game 2 years ago and 9 last year... They are letting him go to the line over every little thing..... They did the same crap when Lebron played on the cavs a few years back... Lebron actually drove all the time back then... Harden has not been going to the rim that much this post season and yet he goes to the line 10 times a game.
This was kind of a hysterical post to read because I think you're under the impression 10 times a game is some incredible number. You do know that it's not uncommon at all for elite scoring wing players to go to the line 10 times a game, right? Lebron, Kobe, Durant and Wade have all averaged 10+ FTA per game over the course of a season. Many of them did it multiple times. I'd have to go back and check, but I believe Oscar Robertson accomplished that feat more than any other player, so it's not even a feat held by only players of this era of basketball. And not only did MJ do it twice, but one year he went to the line like 12 times a game!

Star wing players get star calls. This is not new to the league, and Harden is not the first player to exploit that. He just does it better than most because he's smart and he knows he can do it. If you want to blame someone, blame referees. Don't blame Harden for doing what it takes to help his team win.

Ariza's Better
05-18-2015, 08:32 AM
How I rank the top 5:
Moochie Norrises bobble head
Olajuwon
Yao
Harden
Mutombo

JasonJohnHorn
05-18-2015, 01:39 PM
I agree with a lot of what you said, but they did win a division title waaaaaay back about a month ago.

D'oh! I though Memphis wrapped that up. My bad. Thanks for calling me out on that. I deserved it! If you pity the fool, pity me!

Hawkeye15
05-18-2015, 01:42 PM

Harden's first 2 playoff runs as lead dog were terrible. He also was the worst defender of anyone sniffing all star games/all NBA teams his first 2 years with the Rox (like, it was embarrassing and pointed out constantly). This season, he has been a TON better at both, but it's one year.

Hawkeye15
05-18-2015, 01:43 PM
How I rank the top 5:
Moochie Norrises bobble head
Olajuwon
Yao
Harden
Mutombo

I still have mine!

CluTcH_c1tY
05-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Ugh I get pissed when I see Ralph Sampson on any list. What could have been? Rockets should of traded him when the bulls offered MJ for him.