PDA

View Full Version : NBA Potentially Expanding to Montreal?

JustinTime
05-16-2015, 12:47 PM
Hopefully the NBA will expand to both Montreal and Vancouver if they do expand to Canada because Vancouver was never even give a real chance the first time around.

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/adam-silver-met-with-potential-montreal-ownership-group/#f0VJHdmMZ3vXIqoc.97

Shammyguy3
05-16-2015, 12:54 PM
too many teams as is in my opinion

Verbal Christ
05-16-2015, 12:55 PM
worked great in Vancouver why not.

lamzoka
05-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Why don't Canada just form their own league? I don't think anybody care for them, except drake. NBA doesn't need more teams. It's already water down. Too many teams, not enough talent.

TheNumber37
05-16-2015, 02:33 PM
How Bout a team in Mexico.

AllBall
05-16-2015, 02:36 PM
The NBA needs to just do the below proposal and be done with it

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/11/26/7280545/nba-schedule-reform-regions-map-playoffs

JustinTime
05-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Why don't Canada just form their own league? I don't think anybody care for them, except drake. NBA doesn't need more teams. It's already water down. Too many teams, not enough talent.

Actually i'd say there's more talent than ever it's just the talent isn't spread out thanks to Lebron's super best friends approach. Relocation is always a better option and Canada does have their own league but like every country with their own league it'll never match the NBA. Also, it's not like all the top Canadian players are going to get up and leave their big contracts in the NBA to join an unestablished start-up league so that's obviously not going to happen.

The NBA should expand to Montreal , and then relocate and expand one team to Seattle and Vancouver. That way there would be 32 team and they could make 4 divisions 8 teams, get rid of conferences and expand the playoffs to 20 teams so top 20 would make it regardless of location.

Pacific
Blazers
Sonics
Vancouver Timberwolves
Kings
Warriors
Lakers
Clippers
Jazz

North
Raptors
Montreal
Celtics
Pistons
Knicks
Bucks
76ers
Pacers

Atlantic
Nets
Cavs
Bulls
Pacers
Wizards
Bobcats
Magic
Heat

Central
Phoenix
Nuggets
Spurs
Rockets
Mavericks
Grizzles
Hawks
Hornets

RLundi
05-16-2015, 03:49 PM
I personally think the Raptors need to move to a U.S. city. Nothing against Canada, but this is a NATIONAL league. And what makes Canada so special anyway? Why aren't there teams in Mexico? Or Cuba? Or Puerto Rico? Where do they draw the line? What about London? Paris? Moscow? São Paulo? Seoul? Shanghai? Tokyo?

Better that the line be drawn to the confines of the country than to not have explicit rules on which other countries gain access. Toronto shouldn't have a team, much less Vancouver or Montreal. The United States has enough large cities that could absolutely support a team (Tampa, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, Austin, San Diego, Louisville); no need to even consider international cities.

Just my take on it.

JustinTime
05-16-2015, 03:53 PM
I personally think the Raptors need to move to a U.S. city. Nothing against Canada, but this is a NATIONAL league. And what makes Canada so special anyway? Why aren't there teams in Mexico? Or Cuba? Or Puerto Rico? Where do they draw the line? What about London? Paris? Moscow? São Paulo? Seoul? Shanghai? Tokyo?

Better that the line be drawn to the confines of the country than to not have explicit rules on which other countries gain access. Toronto shouldn't have a team, much less Vancouver or Montreal. The United States has enough large cities that could absolutely support a team (Tampa, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, Austin, San Diego, Louisville); no need to even consider international cities.

Just my take on it.

Pretty ****** take considering you can't support several teams you do have. Raptors were top 5 in attendance this year so I really don't even know why i'm wasting my time replying to this.

RLundi
05-16-2015, 03:55 PM
Pretty ****** take considering you can't support several teams you do have. Raptors were top 5 in attendance this year so I really don't even know why i'm wasting my time replying to this.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be offensive or anything. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You don't think a team in Mexico City, one of the absolute largest in the world, wouldn't support the NBA? It's not just about attendance. Why does Toronto get a team but not Mexico City? It all seems very arbitrary.

kingsdelez24
05-16-2015, 03:59 PM
This thread is really making people look ignorant about Canada, smh...

0nekhmer
05-16-2015, 04:02 PM

Just my take on it.

Maybe it has to do with basketball being a Canadian made sport? Who knows but Toronto has been a better supporting city than a lot of U.S teams so I don't see your logic in moving the raptors to the U.S

RLundi
05-16-2015, 04:06 PM
Maybe it has to do with basketball being a Canadian made sport? Who knows but Toronto has been a better supporting city than a lot of U.S teams so I don't see your logic in moving the raptors to the U.S

I don't think that has anything at all to do with it. Otherwise, there'd be more than a single team in Canada in a league of 30. I'm just saying, give other international cities a chance as well or make it solely a national league.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-16-2015, 04:12 PM

Just my take on it.

No one is saying Canada is special. It's just a market that can generate a lot of money. It's also closer than most of the cities you've listed and there is already a track record of sports in those countries with the MLB and NHL.

If you want teams in cities like Las Vegas, San Diego, etc, the Raptors aren't the first team on the list to move considering they have a strong revenue stream.

RLundi
05-16-2015, 04:16 PM
No one is saying Canada is special. It's just a market that can generate a lot of money. It's also closer than most of the cities you've listed and there is already a track record of sports in those countries with the MLB and NHL.

If you want teams in cities like Las Vegas, San Diego, etc, the Raptors aren't the first team on the list to move considering they have a strong revenue stream.

Fair enough.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-16-2015, 04:18 PM
I don't mind expanding but the most you can expand is 2 teams to make it 32.

Seattle would have to get a team though and there's ownership groups to back them.

bucketss
05-16-2015, 04:21 PM
i rather canada have one team so the Toronto can have the advantage of having a whole country behind them.

Pfeifer
05-16-2015, 04:28 PM
worked great in Vancouver why not.

You obviously don't know what happened in Vancouver with that sort of ignorance.

Pfeifer
05-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Seattle would be the first on the list and deservedly so. The way the team was ripped from them reminded me of Vancouver but way worse. Vancouver would definately be able to support a team, especially of it's owned by the Aquilini family. Basketball is huge in the lower mainland of British Columbia.

Byronicle
05-16-2015, 04:58 PM
You obviously don't know what happened in Vancouver with that sort of ignorance.

Its called sarcasm...

TC9415
05-16-2015, 05:08 PM
Actually i'd say there's more talent than ever it's just the talent isn't spread out thanks to Lebron's super best friends approach. Relocation is always a better option and Canada does have their own league but like every country with their own league it'll never match the NBA. Also, it's not like all the top Canadian players are going to get up and leave their big contracts in the NBA to join an unestablished start-up league so that's obviously not going to happen.

The NBA should expand to Montreal , and then relocate and expand one team to Seattle and Vancouver. That way there would be 32 team and they could make 4 divisions 8 teams, get rid of conferences and expand the playoffs to 20 teams so top 20 would make it regardless of location.

Pacific
Blazers
Sonics
Vancouver Timberwolves
Kings
Warriors
Lakers
Clippers
Jazz

North
Raptors
Montreal
Celtics
Pistons
Knicks
Bucks
76ers
Pacers

Atlantic
Nets
Cavs
Bulls
Pacers
Wizards
Bobcats
Magic
Heat

Central
Phoenix
Nuggets
Spurs
Rockets
Mavericks
Grizzles
Hawks
Hornets

The Wolves aren't moving...

JustinTime
05-16-2015, 05:17 PM
Sorry, I'm not trying to be offensive or anything. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You don't think a team in Mexico City, one of the absolute largest in the world, wouldn't support the NBA? It's not just about attendance. Why does Toronto get a team but not Mexico City? It all seems very arbitrary.

Mexico has a lot of issues that's why. Canada is the only other first world country that is close enough not to mess up travel within the league. Also, the border between the US and Canada is more relaxed. There are a lot of European countries where the league would work but travel is always going to be a problem, Canada and maybe a couple Caribbean countries are the only realistic options.

LA_Raiders
05-16-2015, 05:18 PM
There are too many teams already and not enough talent.

JustinTime
05-16-2015, 05:19 PM
i rather canada have one team so the Toronto can have the advantage of having a whole country behind them.

The whole country isn't behind them anyways. A lot of people in BC don't support them for example.

JustinTime
05-16-2015, 05:22 PM
I don't mind expanding but the most you can expand is 2 teams to make it 32.

Seattle would have to get a team though and there's ownership groups to back them.

Seattle would have to be in the mix with Vancouver just to make the travel work. IF both teams come back there are basically teams within a reasonable distance all the way up the west coast which is way better for travel.

JustinTime
05-16-2015, 05:23 PM
The Wolves aren't moving...

Logically they would be the first to and I even cheer for them. They bring in the least money and have the worst fan base.

TC9415
05-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Logically they would be the first to and I even cheer for them. They bring in the least money and have the worst fan base.

What do you expect? We've been terribly run for a long time. Minneapolis is a great sports city, but you have to give them a reason to come. With how we're starting to build, and with the team looking like it should start getting pretty good, the fans will come. I don't know why you would expect fans to come out to see the teams that we've put on the floor since Cassell, Spree, KG, etc.

With the lease extension and the new updates, the Wolves appear to be on strong ground in the Twin Cities for the long haul.

"For me, I have never anticipated, nor have I ever suggested that I was going to move it," Taylor said. "But it puts in place that whoever will be the future owner, it has to be somebody that understands the agreement that we've made with the city and fulfills that."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9893324/minnesota-timberwolves-give-97m-facelift-target-center

Taylor won't sell to someone that wants to move it elsewhere. Like I said, once the quality of play improves on the court, the fans will come. Hell, if they were even somewhat competitive once in a while in the past 10 years some would come out.

JustinTime
05-16-2015, 05:44 PM

I can't believe some think Seattle is more deserving than Vancouver. The NBA f*cked Vancouver way harder than Seattle. The Grizz were the worst team from and management and record standpoint in NBA history and they still had better attendances then some teams in the league today including the place they were relocated to. Just take a look at the players they passed on in the drafts and tell me we don't deserve our team back.The Raptors would have been up for relocation around the same time if they had passed on guys like Stoudimire, carter, and Mcgrady. Grizzles could have had Ray Allen, Kobe, Nash, stojakovic but took Shareef Abdur-raheim instead. We could have had Tmac but we took Daniels. We could have had Carter, Jamison, Nowitzki, or Pierce but no we took Mike Bibby.They also picked Battier over Joe Johnson, richard Jefferson Arenas and Tony Parker.

JustinTime
05-16-2015, 05:51 PM
What do you expect? We've been terribly run for a long time. Minneapolis is a great sports city, but you have to give them a reason to come. With how we're starting to build, and with the team looking like it should start getting pretty good, the fans will come. I don't know why you would expect fans to come out to see the teams that we've put on the floor since Cassell, Spree, KG, etc.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9893324/minnesota-timberwolves-give-97m-facelift-target-center

Taylor won't sell to someone that wants to move it elsewhere. Like I said, once the quality of play improves on the court, the fans will come. Hell, if they were even somewhat competitive once in a while in the past 10 years some would come out.

Taylor also said there was no one local who wanted it. Also, Taylor is probably gonna die soon and if he find no one to take over before than the NBA will probably move it themselves. There is no way the NBA wants that franchise there.

TC9415
05-16-2015, 06:15 PM
Taylor also said there was no one local who wanted it. Also, Taylor is probably gonna die soon and if he find no one to take over before than the NBA will probably move it themselves. There is no way the NBA wants that franchise there.

KG has said once his playing days are over he would like to get in with a group to buy them, and I'm pretty confident KG would not become a part of a group that would be trying to move them.

Regardless, I'm not one bit worried. If Wiggins and co. get this team going, like I said, the fans will come. There will also be more people interested in buying a young team on the upswing than a franchise that has been a joke since KG left. Check out the Wolves attendance numbers when we weren't constantly one of the worst teams in the league with no hope. We were right around the middle of the line attendance wise.

TC9415
05-16-2015, 06:22 PM
People that are likely looking to buy the Wolves look at attendance numbers and obviously think they need to move. Their most like more so about the money than anything. You have to take a look at the quality of team this organization has been put on the court and see why the attendance is low. The attendance isn't low because there isn't a fan base, it's low because no one wants to pay money to go and watch a **** show on the court. Like seriously, why would you? Draft busts like Flynn, Derrick Williams, Wesley Johnson, etc. isn't going to make the fans want to come out and watch this basketball team. Once we aren't constantly sitting at the top of the lottery and there's a reason to come out to watch people will come. People aren't going to want to come watch any team that has no chance every season. Who would? I certainly wouldn't.

Pfeifer
05-16-2015, 06:23 PM
I can't believe some think Seattle is more deserving than Vancouver. The NBA f*cked Vancouver way harder than Seattle. The Grizz were the worst team from and management and record standpoint in NBA history and they still had better attendances then some teams in the league today including the place they were relocated to. Just take a look at the players they passed on in the drafts and tell me we don't deserve our team back.The Raptors would have been up for relocation around the same time if they had passed on guys like Stoudimire, carter, and Mcgrady. Grizzles could have had Ray Allen, Kobe, Nash, stojakovic but took Shareef Abdur-raheim instead. We could have had Tmac but we took Daniels. We could have had Carter, Jamison, Nowitzki, or Pierce but no we took Mike Bibby.They also picked Battier over Joe Johnson, richard Jefferson Arenas and Tony Parker.

I agree. Hilarious what guys would complain about. Tony Massenburg couldn't get the right cereal lol. Steve Francis was hilarious at the draft. People loved the team here. Just imagine what it would be like if there was a winner in Vancouver.

bucketss
05-16-2015, 06:52 PM
The whole country isn't behind them anyways. A lot of people in BC don't support them for example.

well in that case whats to say the come and support a van city team, or is it something about toronto that the people there dislike.

da ThRONe
05-16-2015, 07:17 PM
It really makes me laugh when people say the league isn't talented enough. The league has so many guys that have talent that can't get consistent mins it's crazy. Just look at the point guard position. Guys like Isaiah Thomas and Jamal Crawford are coming off the bench.

jon32
05-16-2015, 07:26 PM
Ya......the whole country certainly is not behind Toronto. Just like B.C , the east coast has a lot of supporters of Boston and New York teams.
That being said Montreal could easily work with an NBA team......I'm pretty sure it's the largest North American city without an NBA team is it not ? Not to mention the players would probably like the party scene a lot better lol

JustinTime
05-16-2015, 07:58 PM
It really makes me laugh when people say the league isn't talented enough. The league has so many guys that have talent that can't get consistent mins it's crazy. Just look at the point guard position. Guys like Isaiah Thomas and Jamal Crawford are coming off the bench.

yea it's more talented than ever it's just that there is a trend of superstars teaming up which makes the rest of the league look bad in comparison. If the NBA put in a rule which limited a team to one franchise player or something like that than people would see just how talented the league is.

JustinTime
05-16-2015, 08:03 PM
I agree. Hilarious what guys would complain about. Tony Massenburg couldn't get the right cereal lol. Steve Francis was hilarious at the draft. People loved the team here. Just imagine what it would be like if there was a winner in Vancouver.

We were averaging something like 13000 in our last season, our team was awful, we had been told the team was leaving at the end and didn't have a tv deal,talk about loyalty. The biggest joke is they moved it to Memphis that was the biggest slap in the face haha.

JustinTime
05-16-2015, 08:07 PM
well in that case whats to say the come and support a van city team, or is it something about toronto that the people there dislike.

Raptors used to be our rival so it's kinda hard to jump ship especially when you still hope your team's coming back. There are people here who like them but it's not nearly like the ROC. We still come out for the preseason games when they are here though.

lol, please
05-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Forget Montreal, they can root for the Raptors, who need to become contenders this next season btw. No new teams.

JustinTime
05-16-2015, 11:15 PM
Forget Montreal, they can root for the Raptors, who need to become contenders this next season btw. No new teams.

Raptors need to tear their team apart to become contenders. They need a Superstar and the only way they get one is if they tank or wait for Wiggins in 5 years or whatever.

AllBall
05-17-2015, 04:51 PM

This argument is extremely flawed. This is not the Olympics or the World Cup, its a league. If all the NBA teams were in Canada except for 1 that was in New York or something, I would not root for them and would not expect the rest of the US to rally behind it.

spreadeagle
05-17-2015, 09:58 PM

Just my take on it.
"Again, there is nothing coming soon. And if a franchise does go up for sale and can be moved, expect the group out of Seattle that was close to bringing the Kings to the Pacific Northwest to be at the front of the line.

But there may be no more rabid fanbase in the NBA than in Toronto, and basketball is a growing sport in Canada — the last two No. 1 picks in the NBA Draft were Canadians. The idea that another major market north of the border could support an NBA team is a very reasonable one. And I like the idea of hearing the Canadian national anthem sung in French before an NBA game.

Montreal’s leaders were just laying some groundwork. It’s how you start a long process." http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/17/officials-from-montreal-meet-with-adam-silver-just-to-lay-some-groundwork/

valade16
05-18-2015, 09:38 AM
I'd think the NBA would look to expand back into Seattle long before they decide to try for a 2nd shot in Vancouver.

julienbball
05-18-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm an NBA fan and I'm from Montreal. Personally I think it would be a TERRIBLE idea to put a NBA team in Montreal, even though I'm a big fan of the sport.
Our fanbase is WAY too divided in terms of sports and history. Hockey is the big thing, CFL (football) is big and MLS is coming around nicely, we have F1 Grand Prix, Rogers Cup in ATP and some Golf shiznit...Historically the Quebecer is more interested in Baseball than Basketball, they are pushing hard to get and MLB team back.

Basketball wise: we host a preseason game each year for the Raptors or the Celtics for the last 5-6 years. I attended each one of them and I can say that yes the Bell Centre is full but its just because its periodical. I don't believe that an NBA team could fill the Bell Centre or any other Montreal Arena on a weekly basis.
Now lets just look at the past: Montreal first tried his luck with a Basketball team in 1993 with the Dragons in the NBL, then in 2005 with the Matrix in the ABA, then Royals in the 2007, Sasquatch in 2008 in the PBL and then recently the Jazz in the NBLC, they just opened a semi pro league as well called the LBQ Elite......ALL THOSE PROJECTS FAILED, THEY ALL ENDED IN BANKRUPCY! Because they couldn't secure regular fan buying tickets....plain and simple.

I love basketball, I love the NBA, I love Montreal, but it can't be done. Their is 4 million people in the Greater Montreal Area, and the fanbase is already separated in Hockey and Baseball (they were around for like 100 years), football, soccer, tennis, Formula 1 and finally basketball...we have to be realistic here. It's definitely not the right spot to build a money-making NBA franchise

JustinTime
05-18-2015, 01:19 PM
I'm an NBA fan and I'm from Montreal. Personally I think it would be a TERRIBLE idea to put a NBA team in Montreal, even though I'm a big fan of the sport.
Our fanbase is WAY too divided in terms of sports and history. Hockey is the big thing, CFL (football) is big and MLS is coming around nicely, we have F1 Grand Prix, Rogers Cup in ATP and some Golf shiznit...Historically the Quebecer is more interested in Baseball than Basketball, they are pushing hard to get and MLB team back.

Basketball wise: we host a preseason game each year for the Raptors or the Celtics for the last 5-6 years. I attended each one of them and I can say that yes the Bell Centre is full but its just because its periodical. I don't believe that an NBA team could fill the Bell Centre or any other Montreal Arena on a weekly basis.
Now lets just look at the past: Montreal first tried his luck with a Basketball team in 1993 with the Dragons in the NBL, then in 2005 with the Matrix in the ABA, then Royals in the 2007, Sasquatch in 2008 in the PBL and then recently the Jazz in the NBLC, they just opened a semi pro league as well called the LBQ Elite......ALL THOSE PROJECTS FAILED, THEY ALL ENDED IN BANKRUPCY! Because they couldn't secure regular fan buying tickets....plain and simple.

I love basketball, I love the NBA, I love Montreal, but it can't be done. Their is 4 million people in the Greater Montreal Area, and the fanbase is already separated in Hockey and Baseball (they were around for like 100 years), football, soccer, tennis, Formula 1 and finally basketball...we have to be realistic here. It's definitely not the right spot to build a money-making NBA franchise

Montreal only became a baseball/MLS town because somebody put a team there. NBL is a joke which does poorly almost everywhere it doesn't even have a channel which televises their games nationally so it's hard to be a fan. Toronto was originally considered an only hockey town too and now they are top 5 in attendance in the NBA. Quebec has produced the most NBA players outside of Ontario in Canada and after this draft when Olivier Hanlan gets in will have at least 3 pros in the NBA. Also, Baseball is a summer sport so it's going to have little effect on an NBA team. I don't believe that every person from Montreal only likes the Habs either or is only willing to watch one team. i'm willing to bet that there are plenty of basketball fans in Montreal just based out the talent that's starting to come out of there.

Ty Fast
05-18-2015, 01:35 PM
I think Toronto should have a team but that's it for Canada. put a team in Seattle and St Louis first.

5ass
05-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Montreal only became a baseball/MLS town because somebody put a team there. NBL is a joke which does poorly almost everywhere it doesn't even have a channel which televises their games nationally so it's hard to be a fan. Toronto was originally considered an only hockey town too and now they are top 5 in attendance in the NBA. Quebec has produced the most NBA players outside of Ontario in Canada and after this draft when Olivier Hanlan gets in will have at least 3 pros in the NBA. Also, Baseball is a summer sport so it's going to have little effect on an NBA team. I don't believe that every person from Montreal only likes the Habs either or is only willing to watch one team. i'm willing to bet that there are plenty of basketball fans in Montreal just based out the talent that's starting to come out of there.

I lived in MTL for years, not a good city to support an NBA team. UFC and Hockey dominate this city.

cgreenhill
05-19-2015, 09:42 AM
With the NBA wanting to go global, they should definitely target another franchise in Canada, and maybe Mexico City. I got it everyone says Canada is hockey country, and Mexico is Soccer country, but America is American Football country, and yet we have only pro sports that do well.

Why Mexico City........

1. The Greater Mexico City has a gross domestic product (GDP) of US$411 billion in 2011, making Mexico City urban agglomeration one of the richest metropolitan areas in the world.

2. According to the most recent definition agreed upon by the federal and state governments, the Greater Mexico City population is 21.2 million people,[8] making it the largest metropolitan area in the western hemisphere, the tenth largest agglomeration, and the largest Spanish-speaking city in the world

Why Canada....

It would be good to create some inter Canada Rivalry, that would create more interest in the league, and sport, so you would have to pick a city on the Western side of Canada. So Calgary would be the best option in my mind. It is the 3rd largest city in the country with over a million people, and it has been growing by nearly 100k people every year.

I think the NBA should target countries in the Western hemiphere before going to Europe or Asia.

cgreenhill
05-19-2015, 09:56 AM
Years from now i would expect the NBA to start moving US teams to other countries. I am a huge Memphis fan, but smaller market teams will eventually be moved around the world. I would expect to only have teams in large markets all over the world. Below is a look at the future

Memphis Grizzlies move to Tokyo, Japan
Charlotte Hornets move to Seoul, South Korea
New Orleans Pelicans move to Mexico City, Mexico
Utah Jazz move to Beijing, China
San Antonio Spurs move to Osaka, Japan
Milwakee Bucks move to Guangzhou, China
Indiana Pacers move to Moscow, Russia
Orlando Magic move to Paris, France
Sacromento Kings move to London, UK

Maybe not those exact cities, but if the league wants to remain at 30+ teams, the smaller markets will die off. If your city has less than 1.5 million people you should be worried. I get it this is an extreme because BBall would have to gain more global popularity, and it would be a slow process if it ever happens. Just something to think about.

Nosam6
05-19-2015, 10:32 AM

Just my take on it.

You realize that Toronto is the 3rd largest city in North America right (4th if you include Mexico city)? It's a huge market. The NBA is a business. They're not gonna place a team in a city simply because they can. They want to generate the most money possible. Side note: the first NBA game was played in Toronto.

RLundi
05-19-2015, 10:52 AM
You realize that Toronto is the 3rd largest city in North America right (4th if you include Mexico city)? It's a huge market. The NBA is a business. They're not gonna place a team in a city simply because they can. They want to generate the most money possible. Side note: the first NBA game was played in Toronto.

Did you read my post? It has nothing to do with size or support. I know Toronto is huge. That wasn't my point. Anyway, the moment's passed. I don't personally care enough to continue discussing all of this.

rapsjaysfan88
05-19-2015, 11:24 AM
hahaha 2 anyone who thinks a team in mexico would work... players don't want 2 play in canada which is literally america 2.0 with different coloured money and u think players would want 2 live in mexico. thats a nice dream.

JustinTime
05-19-2015, 10:16 PM
With the NBA wanting to go global, they should definitely target another franchise in Canada, and maybe Mexico City. I got it everyone says Canada is hockey country, and Mexico is Soccer country, but America is American Football country, and yet we have only pro sports that do well.

Why Mexico City........

1. The Greater Mexico City has a gross domestic product (GDP) of US$411 billion in 2011, making Mexico City urban agglomeration one of the richest metropolitan areas in the world.

2. According to the most recent definition agreed upon by the federal and state governments, the Greater Mexico City population is 21.2 million people,[8] making it the largest metropolitan area in the western hemisphere, the tenth largest agglomeration, and the largest Spanish-speaking city in the world

Why Canada....

It would be good to create some inter Canada Rivalry, that would create more interest in the league, and sport, so you would have to pick a city on the Western side of Canada. So Calgary would be the best option in my mind. It is the 3rd largest city in the country with over a million people, and it has been growing by nearly 100k people every year.

I think the NBA should target countries in the Western hemiphere before going to Europe or Asia.

There has never been an NBA player from Alberta ever despite it's large population even Manitoba has produced NBAers and Saskatchewan will have after Trey Lyles gets picked. Calgary is wealthy but I doubt it would work because the sport just doesn't seem that popular there, atleast not yet. The travel schedule would be brutal too because there are no teams anywhere close. Honestly for it to work there would have to be at least two teams in Montana, North Dakota, south Dakota, and/or Wyoming and another two in Seattle and Vancouver. The US mid-North states hardy have anyone living there so it would never work. I think those 4 states combines don't even reach 3 million people. Montreal is the easiest to do for travel and I think Vancouver would be the most successful because people there are loaded and basketball is much bigger there. Vancouver is also the warmest city in Canada so it would be able to attract more players. Random NBAers come here and really like it. I met Dwight Howard here a few years ago vacationing.

JustinTime
05-19-2015, 10:26 PM
hahaha 2 anyone who thinks a team in mexico would work... players don't want 2 play in canada which is literally america 2.0 with different coloured money and u think players would want 2 live in mexico. thats a nice dream.

Yea but the only reason Canada is America 2.0 is because the US has one of the most liberal presidents in recent memory in power and we have the most crazy conservative PM we've ever had. Point it when we both have leaders who actually represent us we're quite a lot different.