PDA

View Full Version : Tibbs Treatment

Wade n Fade
05-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Is Coach Tibbs getting the Harbaugh treatment? I feel like he is. I don't think he is appreciated as well as he should be by ownership and management. I think he's anemic offensively, but has such a strong defensive game plan. Without him, they wouldn't be a top 3 seed. Probably a top 6. LeBron is tough for any team, so there is no shame in losing to him.

Redrum187
05-15-2015, 02:08 PM
I get that a lot of people think LeBron likes the "easy way out" and only wants to play on all-star teams, but if you look at the current playoff starting line-up, it is pretty horrendous.

If there was a redraft on PSD with the Bulls line up versus the Cavs starting lineup and we factor in Kyrie is injured as hell, I would say Bulls win rather easily.

PG: Irving vs Rose
SG: Shumpert vs Butler
SF: James vs Dunleavy
PF: Thompson vs Gasol
C: Mosgov vs Noah

I understand LeBron is one of the greatest players to play the game, but Tibbs can't just use that as an excuse. Do I think he should be fired? Probably not unless you got a clear upgrade replacement! Is he overrated as a coach? Absolutely!

He deserves many of the criticisms and has no one to blame but himself.

kozelkid
05-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Is Coach Tibbs getting the Harbaugh treatment? I feel like he is. I don't think he is appreciated as well as he should be by ownership and management. I think he's anemic offensively, but has such a strong defensive game plan. Without him, they wouldn't be a top 3 seed. Probably a top 6. LeBron is tough for any team, so there is no shame in losing to him.

It's rather eerie how much this situation mirrors the 49ers situation. You're dealing with two hard-nosed coaches who clashed with management and despite their talents, won't last as long as they should. However, let's not assumed (in both cases) that this is solely on the FO. It's a clash of egos on both sides.

I don't feel like going too much in-depth, so I'll leave it at this. Thibs is undoubtedly the most talented coach that the Bulls have had since Phil. He had his wrinkles: whether it's his minutes distribution that stemmed from his extreme competitiveness for any game or wanting full control down to the last detail. But he was a defensive mastermind and a great developer of young players.

In the end of the day, the team finally tuned him out. They did not play with the same urgency as year's past and barely surpassed last year's win total (despite being significantly more talented) and their defense slipped significantly. That's typically what happens with hard-nosed coaches; they wear out their welcome (see: Larry Brown, McMillan, Skiles, etc.). As a result, he has to go. Fortunately for him, he will have PLENTY of suitors. In the mean time, I hope the Bulls get some nice compensation for him and can replace him with Hoiberg whom I like a lot.

kozelkid
05-15-2015, 02:17 PM
I get that a lot of people think LeBron likes the "easy way out" and only wants to play on all-star teams, but if you look at the current playoff starting line-up, it is pretty horrendous.

If there was a redraft on PSD with the Bulls line up versus the Cavs starting lineup and we factor in Kyrie is injured as hell, I would say Bulls win rather easily.

PG: Irving vs Rose
SG: Shumpert vs Butler
SF: James vs Dunleavy
PF: Thompson vs Gasol
C: Mosgov vs Noah

I understand LeBron is one of the greatest players to play the game, but Tibbs can't just use that as an excuse. Do I think he should be fired? Probably not unless you got a clear upgrade replacement! Is he overrated as a coach? Absolutely!

He deserves many of the criticisms and has no one to blame but himself.

While I agree that Bulls had no excuse to lose this series given the injuries that the Cavs were dealing with, it isn't solely on Thibs. The team tuned him out, played with little effort, and just thought that they could wing it.

Redrum187
05-15-2015, 02:21 PM
While I agree that Bulls had no excuse to lose this series given the injuries that the Cavs were dealing with, it isn't solely on Thibs. The team tuned him out, played with little effort, and just thought that they could wing it.

I agree with you that the team tuned him out, but isn't that still on Tibbs? When a coach loses his team, it's easy to replace the coach than it is the entire roster.

I remember Avery Johnson won coach of the year and lead the Mavericks to impressive win records (he was a defensive minded coach as well)... Firing him did wonders for their organization and ultimately is the reason they now have the 2nd greatest coach in the league (Carlisle). I hope the Bulls can find an adequate replacement.

kozelkid
05-15-2015, 02:27 PM
I agree with you that the team tuned him out, but isn't that still on Tibbs? When a coach loses his team, it's easy to replace the coach than it is the entire roster.

I remember Avery Johnson won coach of the year and lead the Mavericks to impressive win records (he was a defensive minded coach as well)... Firing him did wonders for their organization and ultimately is the reason they now have the 2nd greatest coach in the league (Carlisle). I hope the Bulls can find an adequate replacement.
Blame goes around. The players deserve as much blame for tuning him out and playing lackadaisical as Thibs does. Either way, we all knew this parting was inevitable unless Bulls made it at least to the ECF if not the finals. Either way, I'm ready for a change. This team still has a lot of pieces. Hopefully a new coach and some minor tweaks can turn them into a true contender.

pacofunk64
05-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Regardless of who the Bulls lost too Thibs was pretty much gone. It would have taken Championship to keep him here and honestly that may have only band aid it for another year. I blame our FO more than anything because they have a history now of not getting along with their coaches.

SLY WILLIAMS
05-15-2015, 03:06 PM
Thib will not be out of a job long if he chooses to accept another job. He is a top 5 coach in the NBA if not higher. Other teams will recognize how good a coach he is and will make offers.

AliCat
05-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Pow-Pow's hammy and Noah's offensive skill set is what did them in.

Scoots
05-15-2015, 03:23 PM
Assuming Thibs gets another job he needs to get an ex-player to be the interface to the team and he needs to make some personal adjustments in the way he runs a team.

Mark Jackson could have kept his job if he made some specific delineated changes in how he ran the team and he refused. My guess is he won't get another job until he acknowledges the changes will be made.

Great coaches have a team of great coaches they work with. Thibs and Jackson both have a reputation of needing to "own" everything.

effen5
05-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Thibs is going to Cleveland.

xxplayerxx23
05-15-2015, 08:03 PM
Only thing he needs to chill out on playing his players do many mins, he will elevate any teams defense, pelicans are an interesting fit if he would go there