PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Redraft Quarterfinals: (3) Flint vs (6) Malignant Cove

Shammyguy3
05-14-2015, 11:13 PM
Each year PSD users on the forum partake in a fantasy snake-draft consisting of all-time players. Players are designated for certain eras based on their peak, and we've used a general 5 year prime to try and rank players overall value (so try and vote based on that 5-year peak as best you can). After the draft, opposing conferences voted for playoff ranking. So, given the two rosters below, if they were to face in real life (with every player in their 5-year prime), which team would win in the 7-game series?

3. Flint (Home-Court Advantage)
PG: Tim Hardaway - Ron Harper
SG: Vince Carter - Andre Iguodala
SF: Scottie Pippen - Shane Battier
PF: Tim Duncan - Buck Williams
C: Brad Daugherty - Walt Bellamy

6. Malignant Cove
PG: Mo Cheeks - Bob Cousy
SG: Michael Jordan - Michael Ray-Richardson
SF: Kiki Vandeweghe - Klay Thompson
PF: Pau Gasol - Spencer Haywood
C: Yao Ming - George Mikan

Below are write-ups sent in by the GMs of the teams giving their reasons for why their team should win this matchup:

Malignant Cove did not send in a Write-Up

Flint's Write-Up

I will do the rest of the debating for this match-up within the thread, but there is one very important note that I want you all to know before you vote: Vince Carter will NOT be covering Michael Jordan. Scottie Pippen will be on him for the vast majority of the game, with Battier and Iguodala getting a few minutes on Jordan as well. But Vince Carter will be covering Kiki.

With that in mind, best of luck to Jon! May the best team win.

Shammyguy3
05-14-2015, 11:57 PM
this is the proper thread, please vote here guys

KnicksorBust
05-15-2015, 06:08 AM
I would put Duncan on Yao and start Buck Williams. Pippen guarding Jordan is imho the most interesting matchup in any of these series.

Ebbs
05-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Like I said glad to see the MJ team improve. Still think Flint in an epic game 7.

Shammyguy3
05-15-2015, 07:39 PM
C'mon more votes please

Shammyguy3
05-15-2015, 07:41 PM
Whoever Kiki guards is a huge problem for Malignant Cove. Do you put Jordan on Carter, or on Pippen? Which big do you have guard Duncan?

Right now there are more questions for this MJ team than there are for the Duncan/Pippen team.

jon32
05-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Kiki covers Pippen.......Mo and Jordan on Hardaway and Carter will force a lot of turnovers and limit their perimeter game more. They have a ball dominant guard in Hardaway who's pretty inefficient that I don't think would do to good against Mo.....and Jordan can fairly easily handle Carter. They are going to heavily rely on Duncan and Pippen to score.
Yao and Pau can certainly at least alter shots with their size and like I said......I think there would be a lot of turnovers that result in a lot more chances for me on the other end.

Shammyguy3
05-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Well, Duncan/Pippen is a really good combo and if they're relying on them to score I don't think that plays into your hands well because those are their 2 best guys that would play wonderfully off each other.

I want to know what style of offense Flint plans on running though, to see if they'd really capitalize off of your defensive strategy

unleashthebeast
05-16-2015, 12:39 AM
Call me crazy but I like Tim Duncan offensively over those Malignant Cove bigs than I do Michael Jordan being covered by Scottie Pippen and Battier and Iggy. Those guys are all-time great defenders and can cause Jordan fits and can at least make him somewhat inefficient, whereas I think Duncan will absolutely dominate.

mightybosstone
05-16-2015, 11:49 AM
This is a surprisingly tough decision. The acquisition of Pau made Malignant Cove legitimately dangerous. Both teams are well rounded and dangerous offensively. Flint is the better defensive team, but MJ has to account for something and he's more than enough talent on that starting five to compete in this series.

It's a coin flip for me right now, but I'd like to see a little more discussion and debate before casting my vote.

KnicksorBust
05-16-2015, 12:17 PM
Well, Duncan/Pippen is a really good combo and if they're relying on them to score I don't think that plays into your hands well because those are their 2 best guys that would play wonderfully off each other.

I want to know what style of offense Flint plans on running though, to see if they'd really capitalize off of your defensive strategy

Flint should run the triangle and put Klay Thompson at the 1. Realistically Jordan and Kiki will run the offense and even Pau is an above average passer at PF. Get Klay's elite shooting and solid defense on the floor.

jon32
05-16-2015, 01:57 PM
If I put Klay at the 1......would you move jordan to Sf to guard Pippen and put ray Richardson at 2 to cover carter?

Klay - Hardaway
Ray-Richardson - Carter
Jordan - Pippen
Pau - Duncan
Yao - Daugherty

Obviously triangle is being run but I get elite D on Carter and Jordan on Pippen.

Then Kiki and Cheeks off the bench

jon32
05-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Or really just
Cheeks
Klay
Jordan
Pau
Yao

Which is the 5 I'd probably go.

Shammyguy3
05-16-2015, 03:08 PM
bump

Shammyguy3
05-16-2015, 03:12 PM
jon, how much will you utilize your bigs though? Will we see most of the offense run through Pau, with Yao on the low block or will Yao space the floor on the baselines?

I think the talent is even on both teams so i'm looking for reasons to vote a certain way

KnicksorBust
05-16-2015, 03:17 PM
Or really just
Cheeks
Klay
Jordan
Pau
Yao

Which is the 5 I'd probably go.

I would rather see Kiki on the floor than Cheeks.

jon32
05-16-2015, 03:32 PM
How the bigs are used will be determined by how the players read Flints D with the triangle tho with Duncan on Pau I'd like to have Pau use his midrange game to get Duncan away from the basket.

Shammyguy3
05-16-2015, 11:58 PM
about 24 hours left in this matchup

jon32
05-17-2015, 12:12 AM
What's the voting ? I can't see it on my ipad

Mr.Nate30
05-17-2015, 12:32 AM
What Jon said. On vacation for a week can't see polls

jon32
05-17-2015, 01:17 AM
with this matchup I could throw a lineup of

Klay Thompson - Tim Hardaway
Michael Jordan - Vince Carter
Kiki Vandeweghe - Scottie Pippen
Pau Gasol - Tim Duncan
Yao Ming - Brad Daugherty

I have elite 3pt shooting in Klay while Jordan dominates the ball handling ( with Jordan a PG is of least concern) . I am running triangle offence so with Pau and Jordan as perfect fits and Klay shooting from downtown, Pau being an elite mid range shooter should pull Duncan away from the basket and let Jordan/yao/Kiki kill it under the basket. With Hardaway on Klay and Pippen on Jordan.....when Jordan can't score , Klay will easily hit that 3 as Hardaway isn't a great defensive PG (size should play) .
On the defensive end. Klay on Hardaway is pretty even, illl then put Jordan on Pippen as size isn't a concern. I'd rather Kiki on Carter since he's not extremely efficient anyway.

Then my backups destroy Flint (2 top 10 players at their positions)

Bob Cousy
Mo Cheeks
Michael Ray Richardson
Spencer Haywood
George Mikan

My defence is beyond elite with cheeks and Richardson and I have the perfect scorer off the bench in Haywood, Cousy and Mikan and the icing on the cake

Shammyguy3
05-17-2015, 01:25 AM
poll reads 11-2 Flint in the lead

jon32
05-17-2015, 01:25 AM
With their line up, I don't see how they score more points. Hardaway doesn't stop Klay. Pippen slows Jordan down but he easily put up 30 pts. Carter on Kiki doesnt stop Kiki from scoring 20(his step back was pretty unstoppable) Pau will put up 20 regardless if tim is guarding and Yao will quite frankly destroy Brad Daugherty........if Yao wants to back his *** down....he'll dunk it on Tim or Brad with his height.

jon32
05-17-2015, 01:29 AM
Seriously???its weird......some NBA threads you read MJ can't be beat regardless of who he has as teammates. Then with redrafts MJ can be beat with Vince Carter. No offence......but the votes here don't make a lick of sense.

jon32
05-17-2015, 01:31 AM

IKnowHoops
05-17-2015, 01:36 AM
This is a great matchup, I actually have to really think about this one. Would of been an awesome game to watch for real.

jon32
05-17-2015, 01:42 AM

IKnowHoops
05-17-2015, 01:47 AM
Flints backups suck too.....and he hasn't even rebutted........yet I have Jordan and I'm losing 11-2 ??!

You know what, I think its so close but I ended up going with the Flints just ever so slightly. The deciding factor for me was that Flint had Scottie who I thought could slow down Jordan enough to where the rest of the team talent would overtake. I love Tim Hardaway, I like Vince a lot, and Tim Duncan is the second best player on the floor and there is no one that can slow him down at all. Gaol is great, and Yao is great so that was tough too. It was going to be a great game but and even though I went with Flint, I still am up in the air about it.

jon32
05-17-2015, 01:48 AM

jon32
05-17-2015, 01:54 AM

IKnowHoops
05-17-2015, 02:10 AM
No I don't think Pippen out doors Jordan at all. But I think he keeps him human. Prime Tim is unstoppable. Prime Tim like 3rd year on golden state Tim before he tore his ACL Tim, would move on Klay easily. Kay could not check Tim Hardaway. Tim got like 22 and 11. Prime Vince was a beast too. Common now Prime Vince was almost at Prime Kobe level. At one point it was Kobe,Tmac, Vince as the top 3 wings. But either way its a tough game to call.

IKnowHoops
05-17-2015, 02:11 AM
Tim Hardaway dropped 42/18 on Gary Payton. Klay aint gonna do ish.

jon32
05-17-2015, 07:20 AM
Kiki dropped 51, jordan dropped what 61? Loads of players drop points.......Hardaway also had one of the most inefficient games in nba history.

mightybosstone
05-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Like I said before, this was a coin flip series for me. I do think that Flint was the better constructed team, but the talent on the two squads is relatively similar and there's no freaking way they should be beating an MJ/Pau/Yao team by 13-2. That team is getting crazy underrated for some reason. I don't think either team (especially Flint) has done a particularly good job at arguing their case, but I'm giving my vote to Malignant Cove because I could really go either way and there's no reason why this matchup shouldn't be closer.

Raidaz4Life
05-17-2015, 11:48 AM
I think the Daugherty/Duncan pairing is nothing short of masterful honestly. Offensively that would be impossible to stop. Flint just has an insanely good construction to their team. Really just a bad matchup for an underrated team Jordan that should have been ranked a lot higher than they were.

Shammyguy3
05-17-2015, 12:03 PM
Agreed with Raidaz and MBT, and I'm guessing that's the same with the rest of the voters. This is one of those series where it's just soooo close, but everyone agrees on one team winning. Flint's bench factored into my choice as well, another oddity

Shammyguy3
05-17-2015, 12:58 PM
essentially a wrap, but about 10 hours left of voting time still

unleashthebeast
05-17-2015, 07:53 PM
:dance:

NYKalltheway
05-17-2015, 08:09 PM
There's no way Jordan's team will lose to the other team, which is quite strong itself, but Cheeks-Jordan-Kiki with Cousy and Sugar Ray off the bench and Yao Ming in his prime? On any other situtation, I'd be rooting for Flint, as I like their structure, but they're in no way superior to Jordan's team.