PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Redraft Quarterfinals: (4) London vs (5) Ft Lauderdale

Shammyguy3
05-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Each year PSD users on the forum partake in a fantasy snake-draft consisting of all-time players. Players are designated for certain eras based on their peak, and we've used a general 5 year prime to try and rank players overall value (so try and vote based on that 5-year peak as best you can). After the draft, opposing conferences voted for playoff ranking. So, given the two rosters below, if they were to face in real life (with every player in their 5-year prime), which team would win in the 7-game series?

4. London (Home-Court Advantage)
PG Stephen Curry - Derrick Rose
SG Manu Ginobili - Latrell Sprewell
SF Bobby Jones - Dave Debusschere
PF Kevin McHale - Rashard Lewis
C Moses Malone - Kevin Willis

5. Ft Lauderdale
PG: Magic Johnson - Derek Harper
SG: Ray Allen - Derek Harper
SF: Glen Rice - Lamar Odom - Gerald Wallace\
PF: Amar'e Stoudemire - Lamar Odom - Shareef Abdur Rahim
C: Artis Gilmore - Theo Ratliff

Below are write-ups sent in by the GMs of the teams giving their reasons for why their team should win this matchup:

Ft Lauderdale did not send in a Write-Up

London Write-Up

Why London will win:

For starters, London has the defensive versatility to bother Ft. Lauderdaleís key offensive players. Sure, theyíll try to push the tempo with Magic, Amare and their shooters, but they wonít be able to hang with London in a half-court game. Weíll switch defensive assignments so Bobby Jones (11x All-Defense and one of the greatest perimeter defenders of all-time) will guard Magic whenever heís on the floor and Curry and Manu (still capable defenders) switching to Allen and Rice. If need be, Sprewell and Debuscchere can come in to bother their perimeter shooters. However, Jones can switch on whichever opposing player 1-4 needs locking down. Stoudemire will also struggle scoring inside against the far more physical McHale. McHale and Moses (8 combined All-Defensive teams) will be an imposing force on the interior for Ft. Lauderdaleís bigs and penetrating guards. If our impressive trio of defensive bigs can slow down Ft. Lauderdale and prevent them from running, Magic and that squad could be in real trouble.

But Ft. Lauderdaleís main struggles will be on the defensive end, where they really only have one above average starter (Gilmore). The two matchups to really watch there are Magic on Curry and Stoudemire on McHale. Ft. Lauderdale doesnít have a single player in its starting five capable of guarding the current MVP and possibly greatest 3-point shooter in NBA history. Curry will carve up the 6í8Ē Magic like a Thanksgiving turkey, getting to his spots on the floor with ease and dribbling circles around Magic to penetrate and find his teammates for easy looks. And McHale (career 60.5% TS%, 61.8% TS% in the playoffs) in the low post against a historically terrible defensive big man in Stoudemire? Thatíll be a massacre. McHale, arguably the greatest offensive post player of all-time, will give Stoudemire tons of issues, and if he gets into foul trouble, who is the best offensive big man they have off the bench? Lamar freaking Odom? Thatís a major concern for them on both ends of the floor.

Another edge to watch is Maloneís offensive rebounding. Probably the greatest offensive rebounder in league history (16.3 career ORB%, 2nd highest all-time), Malone (19.8 career TRB%, 5th highest all-time) will clean up on the glass against Gilmore (17.0 career TRB% in the NBA) and Stoudemire (14.3 career TRB%). You cannot give second chance opportunities to a team with such prolific 3-point shooters as Curry and Manu or efficient low post big men like McHale and Malone.

Our bench provides not only defensive versatility, but offensive versatility. We can bring Rose (our third MVP winner) in to facilitate offensively or play off the ball next to Curry, while Lewis provides the ideal stretch four for our second unit or if we want to play small ball and stretch out Ft. Lauderdale with Malone or McHale at the 5.

Bottom line, our squad has a more well-rounded offensive game that can thrive in up-tempo or slower half-court sets and just much, much better overall individual and team defense. They could score 100+ a game with that offense, but with the defense of their starting five, theyíll give up 110+ a game. London will win this series.

KnicksorBust
05-12-2015, 07:40 PM
Amar'e vs McHale is not the massacee that London makes it out to be.

Redrum187
05-12-2015, 09:10 PM

My thoughts exactly.

I am also not convinced that Magic would be carved like a Thanksgiving Day turkey. Magic may not have been AS fast as Curry, but he is still the best PG of all time... Even if Curry was too fast for Magic, Allen could switch... Magic on Manu would be fine.

I'll wait for Baller's rebuttal.

Mr. Baller
05-13-2015, 10:42 AM
Quick writeup since I don't got much time:

We will be putting Magic on Manu and Ray on Steph. Since Bobby Jones will **** up their spacing since he can't spread the floor and hit 3's. As stated here by Bobby Jones:" I was 0-of-17 from the 3-point line but those were all end of the quarter, end of the half shots that I didnít want to take but was forced to. I donít think I ever took one legitimate 3-point attempt because I knew it was out of my range and I knew that I wasnít going to make it, so I just avoided that area!"

With that being said Glen Rice will essentially not be guarding Bobby Jones since he won't ever have the ball with Steph or Manu and we will be doubling the paint every single time ala Warriors vs Grizzlies 2 nights ago. We will force them to bench Bobby Jones and after that we are not scared of any of the other perimeter defenders on London. To continue on that message, if Curry or Manu is playing well we will gladly play Derek Harper more and go to a 3 guard set and put either Magic or Ray on Bobby Jones depending on which one is hurting us.

Offensively, I do not think McHale and Malone will be able to keep up with our speed game, and we will just pick them apart. Whether its the deadly Magic-Amar'e pick and roll, then Magic penetrating to Ray or Glen it is a matchup nightmare defensively for London. Well they have 2 great bigs defensively, Steph and Manu are not exactly a defensive juggernaut (Steph has only had 1 good year ever of defense) and I do not think either one of them could contain Ray or Glen Rice especially with Magic dishing to them all game long.

Will add more later

KnicksorBust
05-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Quick writeup since I don't got much time:

We will be putting Magic on Manu and Ray on Steph. Since Bobby Jones will **** up their spacing since he can't spread the floor and hit 3's. As stated here by Bobby Jones:" I was 0-of-17 from the 3-point line but those were all end of the quarter, end of the half shots that I didnít want to take but was forced to. I donít think I ever took one legitimate 3-point attempt because I knew it was out of my range and I knew that I wasnít going to make it, so I just avoided that area!"

With that being said Glen Rice will essentially not be guarding Bobby Jones since he won't ever have the ball with Steph or Manu and we will be doubling the paint every single time ala Warriors vs Grizzlies 2 nights ago. We will force them to bench Bobby Jones and after that we are not scared of any of the other perimeter defenders on London. To continue on that message, if Curry or Manu is playing well we will gladly play Derek Harper more and go to a 3 guard set and put either Magic or Ray on Bobby Jones depending on which one is hurting us.

Offensively, I do not think McHale and Malone will be able to keep up with our speed game, and we will just pick them apart. Whether its the deadly Magic-Amar'e pick and roll, then Magic penetrating to Ray or Glen it is a matchup nightmare defensively for London. Well they have 2 great bigs defensively, Steph and Manu are not exactly a defensive juggernaut (Steph has only had 1 good year ever of defense) and I do not think either one of them could contain Ray or Glen Rice especially with Magic dishing to them all game long.

Will add more later

I've never seen a game plan so focused on Bobby Jones before.

Mr. Baller
05-13-2015, 02:13 PM
I've never seen a game plan so focused on Bobby Jones before.

Well he is the key to their defensive gameplan, got to make the proper adjustments. And I bet you didn't see a game plan so focused on Tony Allen before 2 day ago either.

IKnowHoops
05-13-2015, 02:19 PM
All I know is that my squad last year of

PG Russell Westbrook/Stephon Marburry
SG Brandon Roy/Baron Davis
SF Larry Johnson/Jamal Mashburn
PF Blake Griffin/Bob Pettit
C Shaq/George Miken

Would destroy both these teams, but I didn't make the playoffs because this is a stupid game and owners get to vote you out. Stupid

AP=MVP
05-13-2015, 03:20 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2zWS4iIQAE8KMG.jpg

mightybosstone
05-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Why is that relevant? We have arguably the greatest 3-point shooter in NBA history and the guy who's third in career postseason 3-pointers made on my team. Our floor spacing is among the best in this entire game and every bit as good as yours. Let's not forget that Magic was a pretty atrocious 3-point shooter. I'd rather have a guy in Jones who knows his range ends at 18 feet than a player in Magic who shot 30% from the 3-point line despite attempting more than 1,000 3-pointers in his career.

With that being said Glen Rice will essentially not be guarding Bobby Jones since he won't ever have the ball with Steph or Manu and we will be doubling the paint every single time ala Warriors vs Grizzlies 2 nights ago. We will force them to bench Bobby Jones and after that we are not scared of any of the other perimeter defenders on London.

I'm sorry... what? You're just not going to defend whatsoever a guy who averaged essentially 15/8/4/2/2 for four years at his peak and had a career TS% over 60%. Awesome! Also, I love that your entire defensive gameplan is centered around "Let's not defend his fifth best offensive player and hope that he benches him so his defense sucks more." Really, really poor logic there.

To continue on that message, if Curry or Manu is playing well we will gladly play Derek Harper more and go to a 3 guard set and put either Magic or Ray on Bobby Jones depending on which one is hurting us.
When Derek Harper is your best perimeter defender in an all-time re-draft, you have a problem. Also, you can't pull Magic's minutes just to get Harper on the floor, so you'll essentially have to pull Allen to get more minutes for him. That'll hurt your offense since he's easily your best floor spacer. You could pull Rice, but then you'd have a 6'4" combo guard or a 6'5" shooting guard defending a 6'9" physical forward in Jones. That would be fantastic for our offense.

This is the worst argument you made in your entire post because you're assuming McHale and Moses couldn't beat a Magic-led team. Pop quiz: What were the only two teams to beat the Showtime Lakers in the Finals between 1980 and 1988 when Magic was in his peak and they won their four titles? The Bird/McHale/Parish Celtics and the Moses "fo fo fo" Sixers. Hell, Moses put up a ridiculous 26/18/2/2/2 in that series. And between the two times Moses played Magic and Kareem's Lakers in the playoffs, Moses' teams went 6-1 in those seven games.

Moses Malone was pretty much the Lakers kryptonite in the early 80s, and you think he couldn't hang with Magic? Completely ridiculous. Oh, and those Showtime Lakers teams were arguably better on paper than the squad you've assembled, especially on the defensive end where it's not even a competition. Meanwhile, our London squad is every bit as talented and balanced as those Sixer and Celtics teams.

And in case you're curious, Bobby Jones was getting starters minutes coming off the bench past his prime in that Sixers domination of the Lakers and was pretty damn good with a super efficient 12/5/3/2/2. You could argue that there isn't a more prepared team in this entire game to face a Magic-led team than this one.

mightybosstone
05-13-2015, 03:41 PM

My thoughts exactly.

I am also not convinced that Magic would be carved like a Thanksgiving Day turkey. Magic may not have been AS fast as Curry, but he is still the best PG of all time... Even if Curry was too fast for Magic, Allen could switch... Magic on Manu would be fine.

I'll wait for Baller's rebuttal.

Re-read what I wrote, gentlemen. I'm talking about the defensive end of the floor. Magic and Amare simply cannot defend Curry and McHale. Magic's defense on Curry is a moot point I guess since Baller conveniently switched assignments after my write-up. But you REALLY think Amare "paper post defense" Stoudemire is going to hang with Kevin McHale in the low post? Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdtgUOiWHJg

mightybosstone
05-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Well he is the key to their defensive gameplan, got to make the proper adjustments. And I bet you didn't see a game plan so focused on Tony Allen before 2 day ago either.

You didn't make any adjustments whatsoever. Your version of "adjustments" is just refusing to defend a completely capable offensive player with the hopes that I pull him off the floor. Thank god you're not an NBA coach....

Mr. Baller
05-13-2015, 04:02 PM
FTL in 6

mightybosstone
05-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Bump. C'mon guys, let's get some more votes for this thing (preferably from all the GMs who ranked London higher than Ft. Lauderdale in the first place). :)

KnicksorBust
05-13-2015, 07:16 PM
null

Great rebuttal. The idea that ignoring a hyper efficient forward who scores in the mid-teens should not be your crucial argument to win the series. Good counters on how Mchale and Moses have both proven to handle the uptempo style with success.

London in 6.

KnicksorBust
05-13-2015, 07:17 PM
FTL in 6

Was this the "more to add later" ... took you 5 hours for that?

roshan3ai
05-13-2015, 07:33 PM
McHale is arguably the best poster player in NBA history?

mightybosstone
05-13-2015, 09:15 PM
McHale is arguably the best poster player in NBA history?

In terms of repertoire of low post offensive moves, I'd say he's second to only Hakeem. Watch highlights of the guy's game. He was a magician in the paint.

I'm curious to know why you voted for Baller. Care to offer your reasoning?

mightybosstone
05-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Great rebuttal. The idea that ignoring a hyper efficient forward who scores in the mid-teens should not be your crucial argument to win the series. Good counters on how Mchale and Moses have both proven to handle the uptempo style with success.

London in 6.

That's for the verbal vote, but you think you could actually cast your vote in the poll? I started off with a 4-1 lead and haven't gotten a single vote in 24 hours despite Baller's paper thin write-up and debate. It's getting a little depressing...

mightybosstone
05-13-2015, 09:18 PM
Seriously, though, I want to see someone explain how a team with such a bad defense could win this series. Those are four average to just plain bad defenders in the starting five. It might be the worst defensive starting five in the entire game. So why is that roster going to beat London?

Cal827
05-13-2015, 09:24 PM
Bosstone, which one is your team?

Killerjug
05-13-2015, 09:28 PM
Bosstone is London, Baller is Ft Lauderdale

mightybosstone
05-13-2015, 09:29 PM
Bosstone, which one is your team?

It depends. Is that going to help me or hurt me? :D

Mr. Baller
05-13-2015, 09:34 PM
Bosstone is Losing, Baller is Winning

Fixed

mightybosstone
05-13-2015, 09:39 PM
Fixed

You're certainly better at trolling than you are debating sports. You should probably stick to that. ;)

Cal827
05-13-2015, 09:55 PM
It depends. Is that going to help me or hurt me? :D

You know why I'm here. Also, the other guy revealed the teams, so naturally, I'm gonna say Ft. Lauerdale in a sweep more hilariously bad than the Wizards crushing of the Raptors :laugh2:

It's actually quite close to me. It's funny since one team seems a lot more superior on in the back court, while the other is much more in the front court.

I'm leaning towards London though, due to the HCA, and defensive strength. Amar'e is great offensively, but pretty bad defensively (especially considering the talent he'd be facing off against, since one's a tweener). Magic is probably the best offensive player on either team by pretty far, but again, he might be giving up a ton of points back on his end. You give Steph a second, and he'll pretty much do what Ray Allen would do if you give him a second, and Derek Rose will force him to fully defend, which might tire him out. They could decide to go big with Jones/Lewis/Mchale/Malone and wreak defensive havoc.

I would pick London in 7 games.

roshan3ai
05-13-2015, 10:09 PM
In terms of repertoire of low post offensive moves, I'd say he's second to only Hakeem. Watch highlights of the guy's game. He was a magician in the paint.

I'm curious to know why you voted for Baller. Care to offer your reasoning?

I think their offense can run rampant, even with the large Bobby Jones guarding point. Don't see Curry eve limiting Ray or Rice, and Magic with all of those offensive weapons just seems like too much. I am more confident they can control the pace than you guys. They're gonna have a tough time with your squad in the half court for sure, but I trust Magic to control the pace more. And if you guys are playing at Magic's pace, I trust that team in a fast break more than I would your's. They have very good floor spacers, one of the best pick and roll finishers that we've seen, and a very good two way center. You'll probably think I'm ignoring their really poor defense, but I their offensive firepower is too much for me if they start running at their pace.

roshan3ai
05-13-2015, 10:12 PM
Also don't buy the Magic being a horrendous defender argument considering you're starting Steph who, last I checked, has been switched off to Tony Allen instead of Conley in this series. His defense gets hidden, I don't think there's any way around that. And he's gonna get exposed a great deal in this series on D because all five guys on FTL can explode any given night, they're too talented.

Shammyguy3
05-13-2015, 10:16 PM
MBT's winning the debate rather easily. In real life i think this would be a close series going game by game, but in the end London would win in about 5 games (similar to the 2011 Conference finals).

Mr. Baller
05-13-2015, 11:04 PM
MBT's winning the debate rather easily. In real life i think this would be a close series going game by game, but in the end London would win in about 5 games (similar to the 2011 Conference finals).

Because I'm not debating. Its a waste of time, nobody reads it

Sadds The Gr8
05-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Because I'm not debating. Its a waste of time, nobody reads it
I don't mind debating but writeups are dumb and overrated. I'm happy ppl care less about them now than before

Mr. Baller
05-13-2015, 11:08 PM
I don't mind debating but writeups are dumb and overrated. I'm happy ppl care less about them now than before

I don't mind going back and forth but I'm not gonna read his essay replies to my 2 sentences.

Shammyguy3
05-13-2015, 11:15 PM
I read the debates, that's the funnest part of this game.

roshan3ai
05-13-2015, 11:16 PM
Damn I hope you scrubs read my writeups

Mr. Baller
05-13-2015, 11:16 PM
I read the debates, that's the funnest part of this game.

No the draft is the fun part of the game, the rest is usually just a bunch of ******** politics.

Mr. Baller
05-13-2015, 11:17 PM
Damn I hope you scrubs read my writeups

Since you voted for me I will!

Mr. Baller
05-13-2015, 11:17 PM
Was this the "more to add later" ... took you 5 hours for that?

Yes

Killerjug
05-13-2015, 11:18 PM
youll have roughly 5 seconds of my attention make it catchy

Shammyguy3
05-13-2015, 11:26 PM
No the draft is the fun part of the game, the rest is usually just a bunch of ******** politics.

Okay you're right, the draft is the most fun part but when it comes to the playoffs, you get to debate basketball (especially in this game with these older players, you have an opportunity to learn and question playing styles and things like that which you may have not had a chance to witness live)

MFFL==FML
05-14-2015, 12:09 AM
This is a matchup nightmare for London in my opinion. FTL is too fast and king for them.

I can't vote on this app, but I'd vote FTL in 6.

Mr. Baller
05-14-2015, 12:12 AM
This is a matchup nightmare for London in my opinion. FTL is too fast and king for them.

you sir are a smart man.

Chacarron
05-14-2015, 01:41 AM
Magic!

IKnowHoops
05-14-2015, 02:41 AM

Bingo!

mightybosstone
05-14-2015, 08:04 AM
I think their offense can run rampant, even with the large Bobby Jones guarding point. Don't see Curry eve limiting Ray or Rice, and Magic with all of those offensive weapons just seems like too much. I am more confident they can control the pace than you guys.
I don't understand this logic. Why would Curry have a harder time guarding Allen than Allen would guarding Curry when clearly peak Curry is a superior player to peak Allen? That makes no sense. You're essentially giving his offensive players the benefit of the doubt and acting like our squad has no offensive advantages whatsoever.

Hell, the two worst starting defenders on either team (Rice and Stoudemire) are both on Ft. Lauderdale's squad, but you're treating it like our team has this atrocious defense because we have two average to slightly above average defensive guards. Meanwhile, Amare Stoudemire is guarding Kevin McHale in the low post, and you act like there's no advantage there whatsoever.

They're gonna have a tough time with your squad in the half court for sure, but I trust Magic to control the pace more. And if you guys are playing at Magic's pace, I trust that team in a fast break more than I would your's.
Why? As previously stated, both Moses and McHale proved they could hang and excel against the Showtime Lakers at their peak. So if the Sixers and Celtics teams who beat LA in the Finals in 83 and 84 could hang with Magic's pace with Mo Cheeks and Dennis Johnson at PG, why can't this team do it with an elite versatile back court of Curry and Ginobili? Again, I feel like you're just pulling these vague justifications out of thin air with no legitimate data or facts to back it up.

They have very good floor spacers, one of the best pick and roll finishers that we've seen, and a very good two way center. You'll probably think I'm ignoring their really poor defense, but I their offensive firepower is too much for me if they start running at their pace.
We have excellent floor spaces and two low post behemoths that will absolutely require double teaming. Our half-court offense is head and shoulders above theirs. Also, ignoring their defense is exactly what you're doing. This team has probably the worst defense of any squad in the playoffs. And if you think offensive firepower alone is enough to win championships, I'd like you to find me a single NBA champion in the history of the league that won with five scorers on the roster and one above average defender.

There's a reason Nash's Suns never won a ring. It's because they couldn't be as successful in half-court sets in the playoffs and they didn't have the defensive prowess to stop anybody. Balance or dominant team defenses will almost always win out against run and gun squads if the talent level is equal. Your "firepower is too much for me" logic is a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the NBA postseason.

Also don't buy the Magic being a horrendous defender argument considering you're starting Steph who, last I checked, has been switched off to Tony Allen instead of Conley in this series. His defense gets hidden, I don't think there's any way around that. And he's gonna get exposed a great deal in this series on D because all five guys on FTL can explode any given night, they're too talented.
Refer to my previous comment. You're essentially pointing the finger at ONE of our defenders while completely ignoring all the average to well below average defenders on his roster. It's pretty hypocritical, and you're better than that.

mightybosstone
05-14-2015, 08:10 AM

No, it's not. And I feel like I've had to say this multiple times already, but let me make this point again in bold so everyone will (hopefully) see it:

Magic's Showtime Lakers lost to only two teams in the NBA Finals between 1980-88 at the peak of their dominance: the Moses Malone Sixers in 83 and the Bird/McHale/Parrish Celtics in 84. The idea that our front court couldn't keep up with a Magic-led team's offense was historically proven wrong on the biggest stage possible.

It's pretty clear to me that no one is reading the write-ups or the debate and they're just voting immediately with no context at all. And it's sad, because many of your are GMs in this game. I assure you that if you had a write-up in your series and there was legitimate debate, I would make consider it before casting my vote with such misguided justification as this.

mightybosstone
05-14-2015, 08:13 AM
I don't mind going back and forth but I'm not gonna read his essay replies to my 2 sentences.
Umm... How about replying to my rebuttal of your terrible write-up that I tore apart like tissue paper? You're essentially winning this thing by people looking at the roster and going "Ooohhh.... Offense!" But you aren't even attempting to make legitimate basketball points in this thread or even attempting to debate anything I say. I expected more from a veteran. :pity:

valade16
05-14-2015, 09:52 AM
It's just tough for me to get around the defense in this one. As I pointed out in my PRs, The Showtime Lakers was basically a bunch of defensive role players around Magic, KAJ, and Worthy. An offense can only be so efficient. The Showtime Lakers were perenially Top 10 in defensive efficiency.

Ironically, Bobby Jones went a few picks after Glen Rice, imagine if Ft. Lauderdale had Bobby Jones in this instead of Rice? Even that one extra defender would have been huge.

KnicksorBust
05-14-2015, 11:17 AM
That's for the verbal vote, but you think you could actually cast your vote in the poll? I started off with a 4-1 lead and haven't gotten a single vote in 24 hours despite Baller's paper thin write-up and debate. It's getting a little depressing...

You got it buddy. Scoreboard is looking like 11-10 London right now. GL. People don't seem to realize your offense is as efficient as FTL and your defense is miles better. After thinking it over it seems like a no brainer to me.

Mr. Baller
05-14-2015, 11:24 AM
You got it buddy. Scoreboard is looking like 11-10 London right now. GL. People don't seem to realize your offense is as efficient as FTL and your defense is miles better. After thinking it over it seems like a no brainer to me.

Actually its 11-11 once MFFL4life enters his vote which he said was for me

Raps18-19 Champ
05-14-2015, 11:27 AM
I think it's 10-11 for Baller actually. QuarteBarton has like 8 posts and voted for London.

Mr. Baller
05-14-2015, 11:45 AM
I think it's 10-11 for Baller actually. QuarteBarton has like 8 posts and voted for London.

Great catch

mightybosstone
05-14-2015, 11:50 AM

Is the 100-post rule in effect? I don't remember reading that in the rules. If it's not in writing...

Shammyguy3
05-14-2015, 12:08 PM
I still see London winning this series (they're down 9-10 right now)

Shammyguy3
05-14-2015, 12:10 PM
We indeed ARE doing the 100 post minimum for voters (I'm sorry that I forgot to put it in the rules this time, we didn't do it for the last game I ran and it turned into a **** storm so we're implementing the unwritten rule again)

Raps18-19 Champ
05-14-2015, 12:17 PM
Is the 100-post rule in effect? I don't remember reading that in the rules. If it's not in writing...

I thought that's usually the case. Fine by me if it's not though. He also voted in our series for my team.

mightybosstone
05-14-2015, 12:22 PM
I still see London winning this series (they're down 9-10 right now)
How am I down 10-9? I looked, and I've only got one vote from a poster with less than 100 votes. It should be 10-10 by my count.

We indeed ARE doing the 100 post minimum for voters (I'm sorry that I forgot to put it in the rules this time, we didn't do it for the last game I ran and it turned into a **** storm so we're implementing the unwritten rule again)
Ugh... I'm fine with the rule, but it just seems like such an arbitrary number. I understand that the rule is in place to prevent posters from creating dupe accounts and voting in this, but a poster with 10 votes can be just as knowledgable about the game of basketball as a poster with 10,000. I'd rather there just be a rule that obvious dupe votes don't count or maybe a rule where votes don't count for posters who created an account after the start of the postseason voting. To me, that would be a much more fair, logical way to prevent dupe votes.

Hell, if I really, really want a dupe vote to count, I could create a dupe account and just spam posts in random threads until I got up to 100 posts. That's easily doable over four days, and based on the current rule, that would be totally legal within the rules of the game as long as you didn't know I was voting as a dupe.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-14-2015, 12:28 PM
How am I down 10-9? I looked, and I've only got one vote from a poster with less than 100 votes. It should be 10-10 by my count.

MFFL voted for FTL in his posts but can't see polls so couldn't vote.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-14-2015, 12:43 PM

Ugh... I'm fine with the rule, but it just seems like such an arbitrary number. I understand that the rule is in place to prevent posters from creating dupe accounts and voting in this, but a poster with 10 votes can be just as knowledgable about the game of basketball as a poster with 10,000. I'd rather there just be a rule that obvious dupe votes don't count or maybe a rule where votes don't count for posters who created an account after the start of the postseason voting. To me, that would be a much more fair, logical way to prevent dupe votes.

Hell, if I really, really want a dupe vote to count, I could create a dupe account and just spam posts in random threads until I got up to 100 posts. That's easily doable over four days, and based on the current rule, that would be totally legal within the rules of the game as long as you didn't know I was voting as a dupe.

I think a better idea for next draft would be votes for posters who joined before the game started counts (so if the signups for game started May 14, only posters who have a join date of May 13 or earlier can have votes that count).

Eliminates dupes in that case.

Killerjug
05-14-2015, 01:02 PM

you've been doing these games forever and it has always been a rule. Don't see how you can be surprised

mightybosstone
05-14-2015, 01:09 PM
you've been doing these games forever and it has always been a rule. Don't see how you can be surprised
I'm not surprised. I was looking to get any advantage I can. And since it wasn't a rule in writing, I thought it was at least worth a shot.

I notice you and Lucky are conveniently absent from the voting in this series. Afraid to face PSK and I in the second round? ;)

Killerjug
05-14-2015, 01:12 PM
or I could send you packing with the click of a button ;)

mightybosstone
05-14-2015, 01:18 PM
or I could send you packing with the click of a button ;)

If you honestly think Ft. Lauderdale is the better team, I'd be fine with it. An honest vote is an honest vote. But do you honestly think that? I'm curious to see your thoughts on this matchup.

Killerjug
05-14-2015, 01:23 PM
Nah Im going to abstain from voting whoever wins deserves it.

I do think its close unlike Shammy who thinks it'd be over in 5. I obviously like the frontcourt advantage you guys have but like Rosh said I wouldn't call McHale one of the best post players ever. On the other hand I think Magic would run rampant this series and really make their offense run efficiently. It's close as it should be 2 good teams

PatsSoxKnicks
05-14-2015, 04:10 PM

I'll try to write something up tomorrow. But no **** he gets hidden, he plays with a bunch of studs on defense. Obviously he's a worse defender than Klay or Draymond so why would the Warriors have him guard the Grizzlies best offensive player when they have Klay/Draymond? That's a ******** argument. The question is whether Curry's actually decent on defense and impact wise- he is. He's got a 1.36 defensive RPM this year- which means that after adjusting for his teammates and opponents, his +/- impact is 1.36. So he's clearly a net positive in terms of impact on defense. He forces a ton of turnovers too which is more important for PG defense than any other aspect, and his Keep-in-Front% is pretty good for a PG.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-14-2015, 04:12 PM
lol I started typing that response last night, must've fallen asleep and re-posted just now. Anyways, yeah go London!

Shammyguy3
05-14-2015, 05:19 PM

I was writing a response at work, and waited 15 minutes til I posted, it changed as I was making the comment

Shammyguy3
05-14-2015, 07:54 PM

the poll says 15-10 London, but QuatreBarton's vote does not count (he does not have at least 100 posts on the site) and MFFl's vote above is for Ft Lauderdale.

Thus, voting as of right now is 14-11 London

Saddletramp
05-14-2015, 07:57 PM

C Shaq/George Miken

Would destroy both these teams, but I didn't make the playoffs because this is a stupid game and owners get to vote you out. Stupid

How did that team not make the playoffs. Never cared for these where a few dozen or so guys vote. Too many personal feelings get involved.

Shammyguy3
05-14-2015, 08:15 PM
How did that team not make the playoffs. Never cared for these where a few dozen or so guys vote. Too many personal feelings get involved.

You need to see the rest of the rosters that made the playoffs ahead of him first, also that was a full year ago before Westbrook had an MVP-caliber year. Even if it wasn't though, every single one of his positions outside of Shaq (and Bob Pettit, who he has BENCHED) is below-average in an all-time draft.

NYKalltheway
05-14-2015, 10:23 PM
London in 6.

I agree

Saddletramp
05-15-2015, 05:49 AM
You need to see the rest of the rosters that made the playoffs ahead of him first, also that was a full year ago before Westbrook had an MVP-caliber year. Even if it wasn't though, every single one of his positions outside of Shaq (and Bob Pettit, who he has BENCHED) is below-average in an all-time draft.

This wasn't Westbrook's first good year. Also, so Pettit's on the bench and that's a bad thing? Plus, SHAQ.

Ebbs
05-15-2015, 03:18 PM

Truth.

Boom.

C Shaq/George Miken

:laugh:

Ebbs
05-15-2015, 03:20 PM
I buy Bobby slowing Magic some. I also buy hiding Curry on Allen and vice versa. So I'll go London in 6.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-15-2015, 04:06 PM
Big spike in London's voting. It was like 11-11 last time I saw.

Wish we can get 35 votes for each matchup.

Mr. Baller
05-15-2015, 05:43 PM
Big spike in London's voting. It was like 11-11 last time I saw.

Wish we can get 35 votes for each matchup.

Seems fishy to me...

Shammyguy3
05-15-2015, 06:14 PM
about 1 hour left on the poll, seems like London will advance

mightybosstone
05-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Seems fishy to me...

Before you go start fishing for evidence of foul play, I posted a link to the matchup in the Rockets Round 2 series thread in the Rockets forum like two days ago. But I did not request votes and I told people to vote honestly. And I think that earned London a whopping two votes, so that really had no effect on the series one way or the other.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Seems fishy to me...

Sounds bitter to me...Look at GM votes + people who normally vote only and you're still losing.

Shammyguy3
05-15-2015, 07:15 PM
London advances, thanks to everyone who voted

KnicksorBust
05-16-2015, 09:35 AM
Seems fishy to me...

Before you go start fishing for evidence of foul play, I posted a link to the matchup in the Rockets Round 2 series thread in the Rockets forum like two days ago. But I did not request votes and I told people to vote honestly. And I think that earned London a whopping two votes, so that really had no effect on the series one way or the other.

Lol That is so shady.

Killerjug
05-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Lol why would you do that though. That's not the reason you won but just let it be.

Sadds The Gr8
05-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Lol That is so shady.

Lol why would you do that though. That's not the reason you won but just let it be.
I can't stand when ppl do that **** either. I'd be pissed off if I was the opponent. Matchups should only be posted by commishes that aren't in the game

mightybosstone
05-16-2015, 10:45 AM
At the time, there had only been like 10-15 votes and we were losing. If you're losing and you have low voter turnout... Well you can do the math. I actually don't see anything shady about it. GMs have been doing that in PSD games for years. Plus, I respect the opinion of most of the Rockets fans who post in that forum. Most of those guys are intelligent and wouldn't vote for me just because I posted the thread in there.

I'm actually a little surprised people have a problem with this because I've seen posters do that in a ton of PSD games. But if it's that big a deal, I'll refrain from doing it in future polls.

Killerjug
05-16-2015, 12:54 PM
At the time, there had only been like 10-15 votes and we were losing. If you're losing and you have low voter turnout... Well you can do the math. I actually don't see anything shady about it. GMs have been doing that in PSD games for years. Plus, I respect the opinion of most of the Rockets fans who post in that forum. Most of those guys are intelligent and wouldn't vote for me just because I posted the thread in there.

I'm actually a little surprised people have a problem with this because I've seen posters do that in a ton of PSD games. But if it's that big a deal, I'll refrain from doing it in future polls.

I have a problem when anybody does it. Like I said it's not the reason you won, but if you tell somebody to go vote they are more likely to vote for you.