PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Redraft Quarterfinals: (1) Rochester vs (8) Meereen

Shammyguy3
05-12-2015, 07:12 PM
Each year PSD users on the forum partake in a fantasy snake-draft consisting of all-time players. Players are designated for certain eras based on their peak, and we've used a general 5 year prime to try and rank players overall value (so try and vote based on that 5-year peak as best you can). After the draft, opposing conferences voted for playoff ranking. So, given the two rosters below, if they were to face in real life (with every player in their 5-year prime), which team would win in the 7-game series?

1. Rochester (Home-Court Advantage)
PG: Penny Hardaway - Mike Bibby
SG: Tracy McGrady - Jason Richardson
SF: Bruce Bowen - Dale Ellis
PF: Chris Webber - Dan Issel
C: Shaquille O'Neal - Zydrunas Ilgauskas

8. Meereen
PG: Tiny Archibald - John Wall
SG: Reggie Miller - Richard Hamilton
SF: Shawn Marion - Marques Johnson
PF: Charles Barkley - Clifford robinson
C: Dwight Howard - Vlade Divac

Below are write-ups sent in by the GMs of the teams giving their reasons for why their team should win this matchup:

Rochester did not send in a Write-Up

Meereen Write-Up

Congrats to Killerjug Lucky and Jets. You built a great team and I love nearly every player on it. However they do not match up well to my high-flying speed that the Dragons possess. We will run the entire game with our bigs leading the sprint many times and their team (Shaq especially) aren’t great at that. Over the course of 7 games, that will wear the big fella down and without Shaq that kills everything they want to do.

Shaquille O’Neal vs. Dwight Howard
Dwight Howard is a 3-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year. Shaquille O’Neal is one of the most dominate forces in NBA history. If anyone can slow Shaq down though it is Dwight. He will slow him with his elite athleticism and defensive ability. Can’t stop him but he can definitely slow him down, especially with our point guards doubling down. Meanwhile offensively the pace we play and Dwight’s ability to run the court make it a very tough matchup for Shaq. Dwight will be pushing the tempo the entire game and sprinting from rim to rim whenever he can.

Chris Webber vs. Charles Barkley
Sir Charles is a top 10 player in NBA history, he is an elite scorer with a highly diversified offensive game. This series for Rochester will be decided by if they can stop Barkley and I don’t think they have the personnel to. Their power forward is Webber. Webber was a bad defender with terrible awareness those are two things Barkley will just expose. He will be able to score whenever he wants on him. With Barkley’s great passing, if Rochester helps (which they will have to) Barkley can find shooters and we have plenty of those on the wings. Webber will not score against me because they have Shaq inside and with him their Webber will be out of position playing in mid-range with Shaq being down-low and limiting his driving space.

Tracy McGrady vs. Shawn Marion
I love Tracy McGrady, we all love T-Mac. However if anyone can slow him down it is Shawn Marion. T-Mac loves that back down move where he can either spin and finish or hit a little fade, but he did that against other shooting guards, Marion is too big for him to back down. Marion has the quickness to stay with T-Mac and Marion can be physical with T-Mac. McGrady will score but Marion will damper his efficiency and T-Mac’s rhythm will suffer with him being a volume shooter and O’Neal demanding the ball so much. Wonder if that will be in his head with the whole ‘always lose in the first round’ thing?

Bruce Bowen vs. Reggie Miller
Bowen is not an offensive threat so that does worry me. Reggie will stay close and limit open threes. Reggie on offense feasts on players like Bruce Bowen. Bowen is a very good defender, he is also a very dirty player. Reggie made a living drawing contact and fouls and selling it to the officials. Any of the tricks Bowen pulls and gets away with against most guys, Reggie will sell and go to the line where he is a historically great shooter. Bowen won’t be able to play his game against Reggie and Reggie will be in his head and once that happens you are done.

Penny Hardaway vs. Tiny Archibald
Penny is a fantastic athlete and will be tough for Archibald to stop. That is why John Wall will be huge in this series. Tiny will start and get the offense started and set the tempo and Penny is Rochester’s fourth option so if he is shooting, that is not a bad thing for us, but in order to match up with his size, Wall will match up with him a lot and with Wall in our offense doesn’t change (we may even play faster). We can also help off of Penny (.316 career from 3) to double up on Shaq with the pesky Tiny or Wall.

Overall
While Rochester has 2 elite scoring options, I have great defenders at each spot to counter. Rochester has no option to counter Barkley and Miller is an expert with defenders like Bowen. Rochester has a fantastic team but the matchup favor me in this one.

KnicksorBust
05-12-2015, 07:45 PM
Lost me at Sir Charles is a top 10 player.

valade16
05-12-2015, 08:07 PM
I do think Dwight would be one of the better guys to guard Shaq, he's wide and stout enough he wouldn't be able to run through him like he could most guys and Charles did routinely abuse C-Webb.

My biggest concern for Meeteen would be Tiny against Penny. Penny was great for a guard at posting up and obviously someone whose nickname was Tiny is ill-suited to stop that.

This is way closer for me than I thought it'd be for a 1 vs 8 matchup.

KnicksorBust
05-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Seriously I keep trying to read this thing to the end... "Webber will be out of position in the mid-range." I just cant... maybe next time.

valade16
05-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Seriously I keep trying to read this thing to the end... "Webber will be out of position in the mid-range." I just cant... maybe next time.

Lol, yeah he should probably use a mulligan on the whole PF write-up part. C-Webb is one of the best midrange PFs ever.

Redrum187
05-12-2015, 08:49 PM
This is a really close match up for a 1/8 as Valade said. If Rochester had defenders, this would be a done deal. I love the offensive weapons and depth of Meereen, but I also love Shaq's ability to dominate a series.

I'll wait for some responses/rebuttals before voting.

KnicksorBust
05-12-2015, 09:50 PM
"John Wall will be huge in this series." Dear god my eyes!! Make it stop!!

Shammyguy3
05-12-2015, 10:05 PM
With that whole write-up being not the best, i'd love tohear from APMVP on the style of offense he wishes his team to run, and what he'll do to slow down the triangle that Rochester will run

AP=MVP
05-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Lol, I don't know what I was thinking with the CWebb comment. It was late.

Wall has to be big for me KoB cause Tiny vs. Penny is so bad for me, its only chance I have to slow Penny. My writeup is basically grasping at straws and not very well.

Well I am going to lose this and should lose it, KJ has a great team. I really like my team but this is horrible matchup for my guys.

Good luck KJ, I really think you will comfortably make the finals in this.

Shammyguy3
05-13-2015, 10:15 PM
When i'm leaning a certain way, and wait for a GM to give his best rebuttal and write-up, and he comes out praising the other team and saying he'll make the Finals comfortably, that seals my vote (and probably a half dozen others)

MFFL==FML
05-14-2015, 12:16 AM
Even though the gm is essentially giving up, I think his squad would win in 7 games. Don't give up!

I can't vote on this app, but I vote Meereen in 7.

KnicksorBust
05-14-2015, 11:23 AM
I read through the whole write-up. Clearly I am voting Rochester but for the record this vote is 17-0 and there is no way a team with Barkley-Reggie in their primes would go down that easily.

Shammyguy3
05-14-2015, 12:16 PM
I read through the whole write-up. Clearly I am voting Rochester but for the record this vote is 17-0 and there is no way a team with Barkley-Reggie in their primes would go down that easily.

Especially with Shawn Marion guarding McGrady

mightybosstone
05-14-2015, 12:28 PM
I actually think this had pretty good potential to be a decent series, but AP's write-up was pretty "meh" and I think most people would lean Rochester without any debate at all. Rochester will be hard to bring down in this game because that team is stacked full of voter friendly players, but that roster has weaknesses if the right team and GM can exploit them.

Shammyguy3
05-14-2015, 07:28 PM
This series is over, i'll be posting another matchup right now to take it's place

Ebbs
05-15-2015, 03:10 PM
in 4