PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Redraft Quarterfinals: (1) Jerusalem vs (8) Jacksonville

Shammyguy3
05-12-2015, 06:59 PM
Each year PSD users on the forum partake in a fantasy snake-draft consisting of all-time players. Players are designated for certain eras based on their peak, and we've used a general 5 year prime to try and rank players overall value (so try and vote based on that 5-year peak as best you can). After the draft, opposing conferences voted for playoff ranking. So, given the two rosters below, if they were to face in real life (with every player in their 5-year prime), which team would win in the 7-game series?

1. Jerusalem (Home-Court Advantage)
PG: Steve Nash - Mike Conley
SG: Alvin Robertson - Eddie Jones
SF: Grant Hill - Michael Finley
PF: Dirk Nowitzki - Mychal Thompson
C : Hakeem Olajuwon - DeMarcus Cousins

8. Jacksonville
PG: Kevin Johnson - Rod Strickland
SG: James Harden - Dell Curry
SF: Julius Erving - Glenn Robinson
PF: Karl Malone - David West
C: Nate Thurmond - Otis Thorpe

Below are write-ups sent in by the GMs of the teams giving their reasons for why their team should win this matchup:

Jacksonville did not send in a Write-Up

Jerusalem Write-Up

Head-to-Head Match Up

PG: Steve Nash vs Kevin Johnson

There is no doubt KJ was a great Sun’s point guard, but Steve Nash wins this match up quite easily. A dominant majority of Suns fans would agree. Both players were capable of putting up points, but Nash was a true pass-first point guard who lead 6 of the top 12 offenses in NBA history. Nash’s ability to penetrate, pass, score, and hit a shot anywhere on the floor makes him the far superior player. Not to mention, Nash has 2 MVPs over KJ’s finals appearance.

SG: Alvin Robertson vs James Harden

These players are complete polar opposites. Harden focuses on offense and completely ignores the defensive end of the floor while Alvin focused primarily on the defensive end but was also a 19 point per game scorer (on good efficiency) in his prime. Alvin gets the edge here as he was by far more consistent and could score, rebound, pass, drive, and play elite defense.

SF: Grant Hill vs Julius Erving

Erving is a top 5-8 small forward to ever play the game while Hill is in the top 10. If we look at prime numbers and adjust for style of play, Grant Hill has had just as good (if not better) peak years as Erving. Furthermore, Erving was a weak defender, focusing his energy on the offensive end while Grant Hill was always put on the best wing player defensively. Erving wins this by a small margin for his lack of defense.

PF: Dirk Nowitzki vs Karl Malone

This is a close match up. Both players played at a high level in their peak/prime. The difference is that Dirk Nowitzki went to the finals with Jason Terry as his guard and Malone had Stockton. When Dirk finally got old man Kidd (nowhere near as elite as Stockton was by that time), Dirk beat the Trailblazers, the defending champion Lakers, the favored Thunder, and the all star team stacked Miami Heat to win his ring and earn FMVP. Dirk wins this match up.

C: Hakeem Olajuwon vs Nate Thurmond

This is an astronomical gap in talent between Olajuwon and Thurmond. No doubt Thurmond was a good center 50 years ago, but Olajuwon is regarded as top 2-5 best C the game has ever seen. Thurmond gets demolished in this match up.

Bench: Strickland + Curry + Robinson + West + Thorpe vs Conley + Jones + Finley + Thompson + Cousins

Jerusalem’s bench is superior offensively and defensively. Their passing, rebounding, efficiency, and floor spacing make them several notches above Jacksonville’s bench.

Defensive Assignments

Nash on Johnson, Robertson on Harden, Hill on Erving, Hakeem on Malone, Dirk on Thurmond. Thurmond was not the best offensive player, so Dirk won’t have to work so hard on that end. Hakeem is the greatest defending center in NBA history and being significantly taller than Malone will help to shut Malone down. Hill is big, long, and fast enough to give Erving some trouble on the defensive end. Alvin Robertson will completely shut Harden down on the defensive end. Nash will guard Johnson and go under the pick every time as Johnson was a terrible 3 point shooter.

Overall, Jacksonville’s spacing is quite terrible. Their only floor spacer on the starting unit is Harden, which wouldn’t give Erving and Malone to do their work on the inside/mid-range. A zone defense will make their starting unit quite inefficient offensively. Jacksonville does have a 3 point shooter on their bench, but they will have to sacrifice talent with a better floor spacer in Dell Curry.

Jerusalem’s bench are filled with elite defenders in Mike Conley, Eddie Jones, and Mychal Thompson. They can switch out players on their starting unit without sacrificing anything offensively or defensively, all the while keeping good spacing.

Offensively

Jerusalem has superior passing and shooting. They will look to take advantage of that by having Nash run the offense on the fast break, allowing Hakeem to attack the rim, Dirk to trail for the open 3 (which also pulls Malone away from the rim to prevent him from getting the rebound), Hill to cut to the rim, and Robertson as the other slasher, cutter, or facilitator.
With the tremendous spacing that Nash and Dirk gives their team, Hakeem will utterly destroy Thurmond on the inside. Malone was uncomfortable guarding out to the perimeter, where fortunately Dirk does the most damage. Johnson, Harden, and Erving were all subpar defenders, so stopping Nash, Robertson, and Hill from penetrating would completely out of the equation for them.

The biggest bread and butter plays will be pick and roll basketball for Jerusalem. Nash and Dirk, Nash and Hakeem, Dirk and Hakeem pick and roll would be unstoppable even if Jacksonville had elite defenders; Not having the personnel would make it exponentially more difficult to stop Jerusalem’s pick and roll.

Jerusalem’s starting 5 players had elite efficiency and could hit their free throws during the game and in crunch time.

KnicksorBust
05-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Jerusalem has the better team and a writeup. Makes it pretty easy.

killthesux
05-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Jacksonville should win this just because we didn't trade rape anyone:)

Redrum187
05-12-2015, 08:38 PM

Don't hold it against Jerusalem that they had a decent GM. The Antichrists look legit!

KnicksorBust
05-12-2015, 08:40 PM

There were no trade rapes.

Redrum187
05-12-2015, 08:51 PM
There were no trade rapes.

:hi5:

xxplayerxx23
05-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Thurmond could hold his own against Hakeem
Dr.J would smash hill

Malone and dirk is basically a wash,

Eh I don't care enough lol no point in trying lol

Shammyguy3
05-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Thurmond could hold his own against Hakeem
Dr.J would smash hill

Malone and dirk is basically a wash,

Eh I don't care enough lol no point in trying lol

don't care enough? well, you're just making your team and co-GM look bad

mightybosstone
05-13-2015, 09:04 AM
It's really unfortunate that Jacksonville opted not to put up a fight at all. Because they matchup pretty darn well with Jerusalem. This could have been a really solid 1v8 series with legitimate upset potential. But I was already leaning Jerusalem, and the lack of any argument whatsoever pretty much seals the deal.

KnicksorBust
05-13-2015, 10:59 AM
It's really unfortunate that Jacksonville opted not to put up a fight at all. Because they matchup pretty darn well with Jerusalem. This could have been a really solid 1v8 series with legitimate upset potential. But I was already leaning Jerusalem, and the lack of any argument whatsoever pretty much seals the deal.

I will never understand putting in the time and energy toward drafting a team, making trades, etc. and then just throwing away the match-up.

xxplayerxx23
05-13-2015, 11:11 AM
We had no business being this low of a seed and we had no shot At Making a run At votes. No way should this be an 8 seed.

KnicksorBust
05-13-2015, 12:31 PM
We had no business being this low of a seed and we had no shot At Making a run At votes. No way should this be an 8 seed.

No shot at making a run? You say that like a #1 has never lost before. You have KJ who would embarrass Nash with his speed. Harden's offense > Robertson's defense. Dr. J is clearly superior to Grant Hill. Karl Malone's strength and athleticism would give Dirk problems all series and you have one of the best post defenders of all-time to guard Hakeem. I would have loved to have read that write-up. Instead it sounds like sour grapes.

roshan3ai
05-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Yeah pretty disappointed in Jacksonville because they have one of those rosters that would give Redrum some trouble with any type of effort/writeup.

xxplayerxx23
05-13-2015, 09:44 PM
Lol Yeah because 13-1 is because of no write up. 1 seeds very very rarely lose these. I walked into the thread down 5-0 don't tell me there was anyway to beat the 1 seed here.

killthesux
05-13-2015, 09:56 PM
This is what I can say for my defense

1. Kevin Johnson and Steve Nash is kind of a crapshoot, can go either way

2. Hardens offense should not be contained by Roberstons D all that much

3. Dr. J is considered a top 3 SF All Time so I don't understand where Redrum says he is only a top 5-8 to ever play the game, like are kidding me on that? Im not saying he is the best ever but some people like to argue that he is a top 5 player of all time, he should have no trouble with Grant Hill at all. Also when we have Glenn Robinson coming in off the bench there shouldn't be much of a drop off in production

4. Malone and Dirk is another crapshoot

5. If Thurmond can shut down Wilt Chamberlain he can certainly shut down Hakeem.

Also Ill say that the reason that I didn't do a write-up is because im terrible at them

KnicksorBust
05-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Lol Yeah because 13-1 is because of no write up. 1 seeds very very rarely lose these. I walked into the thread down 5-0 don't tell me there was anyway to beat the 1 seed here.

It is definitely this lopsided because of no write up. There is not a doubt in my mind. You spotted him votes by not having anything prepared and then you just condeded. I was down about 10 votes in a matchup against a 1 seed but I am too competitive that even in a forum internet debate I had to win. I argued my way back and won on a tiebreak vote off. Probably my favorite win. You just were too lazy to put in the time.

As I stated before I just don't understand how someone can put a few weeks into building a team and doing rankings and then just letting yourself get dominated without putting up a fight.

Shammyguy3
05-13-2015, 10:03 PM
As I stated before I just don't understand how someone can put a few weeks into building a team and doing rankings and then just letting yourself get dominated without putting up a fight.

Ditto

killthesux
05-13-2015, 10:05 PM
It is definitely this lopsided because of no write up. There is not a doubt in my mind. You spotted him votes by not having anything prepared and then you just condeded. I was down about 10 votes in a matchup against a 1 seed but I am too competitive that even in a forum internet debate I had to win. I argued my way back and won on a tiebreak vote off. Probably my favorite win. You just were too lazy to put in the time.

I just put my argument in:(

xxplayerxx23
05-13-2015, 10:11 PM

I had class :shrug: came in down 5-0, full of **** lol no write up the teams are right there if there's any chance people would vote my way, i didn't put an effort because I found it be complete bull **** that I was an 8 seed going against a super powerd 1 seed.

KnicksorBust
05-13-2015, 10:20 PM

I just put my argument in:(

Lol yeah like +24 hours too late

KnicksorBust
05-13-2015, 10:22 PM

I had class :shrug: came in down 5-0, full of **** lol no write up the teams are right there if there's any chance people would vote my way, i didn't put an effort because I found it be complete bull **** that I was an 8 seed going against a super powerd 1 seed.

Don't worry friend I get your side. I am done responding to you. Gl in the next game. :)

Shammyguy3
05-13-2015, 10:46 PM

So you pretty much refused to give an upset a shot because you were too busy whining? That's the time to prove people wrong man

roshan3ai
05-13-2015, 11:15 PM

On the flip side, I once lost as a 1 seed :laugh2: Clearly a 1 can lose in the first.

xxplayerxx23
05-13-2015, 11:55 PM
So you pretty much refused to give an upset a shot because you were too busy whining? That's the time to prove people wrong man

I was ready to, down 5-0 didn't see the point

MFFL==FML
05-14-2015, 12:05 AM
Not that I condone quitting, but there really would not have been any point in doing a write up for this match up. Jerusalem is stacked at every position with a glove-like fit. Their bench is even superior. I don't really see any team in either conference capable of beating them.

Having said that, had I made the playoffs I'd write a huge and compelling write up, especially knowing I'm in trouble. Don't give up!

Shammyguy3
05-14-2015, 12:06 PM
I was ready to, down 5-0 didn't see the point

The poll is open for 3 days....

NYKalltheway
05-14-2015, 10:13 PM
This isn't a sweep but Jerusalem should win this in 5. Write up or no write up, it wouldn't change much.

Shammyguy3
05-14-2015, 10:22 PM
essentially a wrap, i'll be posting another matchup for us to debate/vote on

Ebbs
05-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Malone gets frustrated game #2, shoves Dirk a brief scrum ensues.
Down by 20 in the fourth quarter James Harden is 3 of 18 with 22 points. Malone jumps on him for missing another bucket, and Harden tells him to **** himself. A scrum ensues amidst the Jacksonville players.
Jerusalem wins big and gets on a plane to play the next two in Jacksonville. Jacksonville never leaves Jerusalem. They've been dismantled so deeply in their core they go to where Jesus gave the sermon on the mound and pray for guidance,

Jerusalem in 2.

Redrum187
05-15-2015, 05:41 PM
Malone gets frustrated game #2, shoves Dirk a brief scrum ensues.
Down by 20 in the fourth quarter James Harden is 3 of 18 with 22 points. Malone jumps on him for missing another bucket, and Harden tells him to **** himself. A scrum ensues amidst the Jacksonville players.
Jerusalem wins big and gets on a plane to play the next two in Jacksonville. Jacksonville never leaves Jerusalem. They've been dismantled so deeply in their core they go to where Jesus gave the sermon on the mound and pray for guidance,

Jerusalem in 2.

LMAO!!! :laugh2: