PDA

View Full Version : Pelicans fire Williams

Stunner
05-12-2015, 01:00 PM
@WojYahooNBA: New Orleans has fired coach Monty Williams, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

kdspurman
05-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Wow.. Didn't see that coming. Seems they were headed in the right direction

sixer04fan
05-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Not really fair. They were decimated with key injuries all year long. They still made the playoffs in the Western Conference. And apparently they told Monty at the beginning of the year that he had to make the playoffs to keep his job... Well...

But that's the name of the game. They think they can do better. I don't necessarily disagree.

diu9leilomo
05-12-2015, 01:20 PM
still waiting for BREAKING: RAPTORS FIRED DWAYNE CASEY

lamzoka
05-12-2015, 01:27 PM
still waiting for BREAKING: RAPTORS FIRED DWAYNE CASEY

This.

koreancabbage
05-12-2015, 01:34 PM
still waiting for BREAKING: RAPTORS FIRE DWAYNE CASEY

please.

NYKnickFanatic
05-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Wow...

They should wait on Thibs or hire Mark Jackson?

lol, please
05-12-2015, 01:46 PM
I don't understand this at all. Monty was a quality coach that could have led a more experienced team in the finals.

I see Mark Jackson landing in NO and making them perennial contenders.

cmellofan15
05-12-2015, 02:35 PM
hahahaha mark jackson won't make anyone a perennial contender.

but I do agree that this firing is questionable. this was an extremely successful year for NO and most of the bad parts of it you can attribute to injuries. oh well...just adds another guy to the list of people denver should consider.

mjarmentasr
05-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Just Wow.

Your owner gives you a vote of confidence and two weeks later your fired. Doesn't AD really like Williams as both a coach and a mentor/friend?

I just assumed he would sign his extension as soon as possible. If he goes the qualifying offer route towards free agency with the Pelicans look back to this day as the day this franchise died.

WHODAT8o8
05-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Uhhhhh what??? If they go for a Kevin Ollie type coach, I will rage. Why go for another unestablished/rookie head coach when we spent the last 5 years or so with Monty. Makes no sense unless we get a better veteran coach.

TheNumber37
05-12-2015, 02:58 PM
You know... If a defensive assistant were forced upon him as always. This might be a good job for Mike D'Antoni
I don't think he'd make them a contender, but he could do wonders with Davis. Davis Amrare 2.0 with Defense, he's faster, a better passer, shooter and has a higher IQ than Stat at his age.

Jrue Holiday
Eric Gordon
Tyreke Evans
Ryan Anderson
Anthony Davis

I think Mike d would start that unit and move Asik for depth. Everyone can shoot except for Tyreke really so spacing would be fine. Mike would rejuvinate Ryan Anderson and trun Davis into a 26+ppg scorer... Inflated stats aside, Davis, Holiday and Tyrke are decent defedners so D'antoni can't mess that up too much

WHODAT8o8
05-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Hoping for Thibs :hope:

TheNumber37
05-12-2015, 03:02 PM

Thibs will Run Davis into the ground and Jrue Holiday Eric Gordon are already fragile. Anderson had that neck thing too.

I like Thibs in Orlando, younger defensive legs in Payton, Oladipo, Gordon, (maybe Justice Winslow)

Stunner
05-12-2015, 03:10 PM

Gotta give us a 2016 1st

JeffG20
05-12-2015, 03:17 PM
The guy was the 4th longest tenured head coach in the NBA. He had more than enough opportunity. The game they blew against GS sealed it.

Wouldnt mind going after Thibs or Calipari if he has interest

dnl123
05-12-2015, 03:21 PM
This is another example of why the Spurs are one of the only teams that know what they're doing organizationally. Teams don't appreciate the power of a consistent philosophy. They don't take the time to build something solid and they just keep dumping out coaches every 2 or 3 years. I say be picky with your coaching choice and give him 5 years to try and change the culture and develop a winning team, but I'm not the one paying out millions of dollars either.

lol, please
05-12-2015, 03:24 PM
This is another example of why the Spurs are one of the only teams that know what they're doing organizationally. Teams don't appreciate the power of a consistent philosophy. They don't take the time to build something solid and they just keep dumping out coaches every 2 or 3 years. I say be picky with your coaching choice and give him 5 years to try and change the culture and develop a winning team, but I'm not the one paying out millions of dollars either.

You should add the Bulls and Warriors to that list as well.

kdspurman
05-12-2015, 03:32 PM

Not quite. Maybe they're on the right track. (GS more so and Atl as well) But yea. How SA's organization is run is something that may not be seen again.

JasonJohnHorn
05-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Had they fired him last year, I would have been fine with it, but he did a great job. depleted with injuries and in the toughest division in the league, and he still helped them get to the playoffs. And Davis liked him a lot from what I hear.

WTF?

Guys like Chuck Daly would have never been with a team long enough to win a title had they coached these days instead of back in the day. Guys get fired part way through the first season on a new deal.

JeffG20
05-12-2015, 03:36 PM

We did do that. You dont keep a guy just for the sake of it. He had ample enough time.

JeffG20
05-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Had they fired him last year, I would have been fine with it, but he did a great job. depleted with injuries and in the toughest division in the league, and he still helped them get to the playoffs. And Davis liked him a lot from what I hear.

WTF?

Guys like Chuck Daly would have never been with a team long enough to win a title had they coached these days instead of back in the day. Guys get fired part way through the first season on a new deal.

They have to have a guy in mind that they know they can get. Benson doesn't just fire coaches on a whim.

SF8
05-12-2015, 03:47 PM

Bulls and Thibs have a toxic relationship for past 3 years so I don't think that's a good team to follow.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-12-2015, 03:58 PM
I don't understand this at all. Monty was a quality coach that could have led a more experienced team in the finals.

I see Mark Jackson landing in NO and making them perennial contenders.

Doesnt your second sentance kind of explain why you dont understand.

Stunner
05-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Pelicans should hire Ron Adams

Vinylman
05-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Gonna be interesting what AD has to say about this...

Did Monty ask for an extension or something?

valade16
05-12-2015, 04:17 PM
The Pelicans went from:

21 wins
27 wins
34 wins
45 wins

That seems like growth to me.

JeffG20
05-12-2015, 04:19 PM
AD will probably have input on the next guy.
GS players loved Mark Jackson, but it doesnt seem to bother them now. If we get an upgrade, AD will be just as happy if not more.

Preferred they waited till after the extension but oh well.

PurpleLynch
05-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Highly questionable decision,I would have kept Williams,he did a very good job with the team he had.

Are they gonna take another coach from the Ncaa?

Hawkeye15
05-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Highly questionable decision,I would have kept Williams,he did a very good job with the team he had.

Are they gonna take another coach from the Ncaa?

If I were them, I wait to see what the Bulls do with Thibs.

Dade County
05-12-2015, 05:22 PM
AD might not want to re-up with them as of right now... So organization might be going into panic mode (Maybe asking AD, who would you like us to hire? That old played out trick) .

Don't worry, Pat Riley is going to save you AD (just give him time).

Stunner
05-12-2015, 05:35 PM
Welp Thibs out

@ChrisMannixSI: Thibodeau says he is disappointed by Monty Williams firing in New Orleans. Calls Williams a great coach, great friend, great person.

flea
05-12-2015, 05:44 PM
I knew this had to happen eventually, glad they went ahead and ripped the band-aid off. Thibs is right, he is a great person. Great coach? Ehh, not so far. I actually preferred watching a number of West teams over the team I'm a fan of (Pels) because of how ugly their basketball was. It shouldn't be like that with a generational talent.

It was entirely inexcusable for the team to be so bad defensively. Davis is nothing close to what casual fans think of him defensively, but he's a solid average defender already in the league. But Asik, Cunningham, Holiday and later Pondexter are all plus-defenders in the right system. Gordon is fine except against bigger guys but he's not really developed much. Same for the team's other promising players (Ajinca, Evans, etc.). We need a coach that can clearly outline players' roles and develop them for that. Monty just wasn't that.

Thibs is the dream scenario. Mark Jackson is the nightmare scenario. George Karl wouldn't be bad, and my favorite retired coach of years past would be great (Adelman) but I think he's done for good.

Hawkeye15
05-12-2015, 05:49 PM
I knew this had to happen eventually, glad they went ahead and ripped the band-aid off. Thibs is right, he is a great person. Great coach? Ehh, not so far. I actually preferred watching a number of West teams over the team I'm a fan of (Pels) because of how ugly their basketball was. It shouldn't be like that with a generational talent.

It was entirely inexcusable for the team to be so bad defensively. Davis is nothing close to what casual fans think of him defensively, but he's a solid average defender already in the league. But Asik, Cunningham, Holiday and later Pondexter are all plus-defenders in the right system. Gordon is fine except against bigger guys but he's not really developed much. Same for the team's other promising players (Ajinca, Evans, etc.). We need a coach that can clearly outline players' roles and develop them for that. Monty just wasn't that.

Thibs is the dream scenario. Mark Jackson is the nightmare scenario. George Karl wouldn't be bad, and my favorite retired coach of years past would be great (Adelman) but I think he's done for good.

yes, thank you

JeffG20
05-12-2015, 05:57 PM
AD might not want to re-up with them as of right now... So organization might be going into panic mode (Maybe asking AD, who would you like us to hire? That old played out trick) .

Kind of a stretch dont ya think? Curry didnt exactly demand to be traded after Jackson got fired.

Too much has been made of their relationship and had AD and Monty been as close as people thought, I doubt this happens.

No one turns down 140 million for the qualifying offer. Keep dreaming. AD will be for for the foreseeable future.

xbrackattackx
05-12-2015, 06:03 PM

Davis and Whiteside together would be a force on the boards and defense.

chi-townlove1
05-12-2015, 06:05 PM
Hello THIBS? I'm sure NO fans would love it

Dade County
05-12-2015, 06:43 PM
Kind of a stretch dont ya think? Curry didnt exactly demand to be traded after Jackson got fired.

I'm just talking crap man lol

Too much has been made of their relationship and had AD and Monty been as close as people thought, I doubt this happens.

No one turns down 140 million for the qualifying offer. Keep dreaming. AD will be for for the foreseeable future.

I hope he does, but it's not going to happen... I would like to see AD competing in the Final's year in and year out. I only trust a hand full of organizations (winning organizations); and I don't want to see AD waste 5yrs of his carrier not getting to the Final's, just to have fans throw hate his way when he decides to leave after that contract runs out.

If he was drafted to the Lakers, or another winning franchise, then I wouldn't be saying this.

And yes you are right, I am dreaming (I see KD & AD in HEAT uniforms with in 2yrs). But once again, it just a dream.

Davis and Whiteside together would be a force on the boards and defense.

I know this wouldn't happen, but I've been thinking about this for like 3 months ... lmao

I know Pat isn't going to let Whiteside go (unless it was for AD), and if both of them was on the HEAT; that means they would have traded Bosh.

JeffG20
05-12-2015, 06:53 PM

I hope he does, but it's not going to happen... I would like to see AD competing in the Final's year in and year out. I only trust a hand full of organizations (winning organizations); and I don't want to see AD waste 5yrs of his carrier not getting to the Final's, just to have fans throw hate his way when he decides to leave after that contract runs out.

If he was drafted to the Lakers, or another winning franchise, then I wouldn't be saying this.

And yes you are right, I am dreaming (I see KD & AD in HEAT uniforms with in 2yrs). But once again, it just a dream.

I know this wouldn't happen, but I've been thinking about this for like 3 months ... lmao

I know Pat isn't going to let Whiteside go (unless it was for AD), and if both of them was on the HEAT; that means they would have traded Bosh.

Fair enough, but Pels fans get a little uneasy after the whole CP3 deal ya know lol. We are very scared about losing our guys because ultimately we know its going to happen at some point.

However, you have to remember that Davis is having a hard time playing a full season. Can he really afford to risk playing on a 1 years deal only to get a severe injury? The guy needs to get that first big pay day.

After This extension all bets are off and I can see him bolting. But we just want to be able to enjoy having him before the time comes when other teams will take him. lol

He's really the only thing left keeping me watching the NBA. Tired of being the Lakers, Bulls, Heat farm system.

Dade County
05-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Fair enough, but Pels fans get a little uneasy after the whole CP3 deal ya know lol. We are very scared about losing our guys because ultimately we know its going to happen at some point.

However, you have to remember that Davis is having a hard time playing a full season. Can he really afford to risk playing on a 1 years deal only to get a severe injury? The guy needs to get that first big pay day.

It's like you just said, I don't think anyone could turn it down.

But damn it, get another star player there, like now. Trade whatever you have to trade, to team up AD with someone.

I just hope N.O doesn't let him waste 3 years, then try to trade for a sub par star player, then scream bloody murder when AD tries to leave.

After This extension all bets are off and I can see him bolting. But we just want to be able to enjoy having him before the time comes when other teams will take him. lol

He's really the only thing left keeping me watching the NBA. Tired of being the Lakers, Bulls, Heat farm system.

lol... Hopefully they can actually get enough assets to trade for a another star player, or get one in free agency when the cap goes up.

5ass
05-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Pelicans ****ed their team up when they rushed the rebuild. It was a stupid move from day one. Why would you have Gordon, Holiday and Evans on the same team? Still dont understand what their idiot GM was thinking.

JeffG20
05-12-2015, 07:38 PM
It's like you just said, I don't think anyone could turn it down.

But damn it, get another star player there, like now. Trade whatever you have to trade, to team up AD with someone.

I just hope N.O doesn't let him waste 3 years, then try to trade for a sub par star player, then scream bloody murder when AD tries to leave.

lol... Hopefully they can actually get enough assets to trade for a another star player, or get one in free agency when the cap goes up.

Problem is we are not an attractive FA destination so the only way to get guys is via trade thus giving all these first round picks. Its easy to say we should get such and such but if the players don't chose us what can ya do.

The only thing we can do right now would be to clear off enough space and make a run at Durant. but that's a dream at best.

JasonJohnHorn
05-13-2015, 07:51 AM
AD will probably have input on the next guy.
GS players loved Mark Jackson, but it doesnt seem to bother them now. If we get an upgrade, AD will be just as happy if not more.

Preferred they waited till after the extension but oh well.

It seems weird doesn't it? For the last 15 years, it seems that whenever these superstars have an issue with the coach, the coach is fired. Now it doesn't matter if the player likes the coach or not, or even if the coach has show he can make the team better every year.

Williams and Jackson were both liked and respected by their players, and both saw improvements each year they coached. I'm not sure what else a guy has to do to keep a job in this league.

xbrackattackx
05-13-2015, 08:13 AM

I know, but for Davis. I see Riley trading anyone but Wade and Whiteside. I mean how many Blocks a game would they avg? I would trade my whole Lakers team for Davis and Ryan Anderson. Lol.

xbrackattackx
05-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Pelicans ****ed their team up when they rushed the rebuild. It was a stupid move from day one. Why would you have Gordon, Holiday and Evans on the same team? Still dont understand what their idiot GM was thinking.

I agree with you, except on Gordon he was having a great couple of seasons. But then got injured, they took a risk thinking he was gonna bounce back. It didn't pay off. If NO had just a solid point guard like Teague,Lowry or Bledsoe and a 3 and D guy then I think Evans would be okay. But they should have gotten two or three high lottery picks. Plus it sucks after Ryan Anderson was killing it the first half. He got injured.

Dade County
05-13-2015, 08:24 AM
I know, but for Davis. I see Riley trading anyone but Wade and Whiteside. I mean how many Blocks a game would they avg? I would trade my whole Lakers team for Davis and Ryan Anderson. Lol.

Just stop it!

It would be devastating ... A beautiful wet dream, over and over again lmao!!!

The only thing we can do right now would be to clear off enough space and make a run at Durant. but that's a dream at best.

Sorry, KD coming to Miami

MonroeFAN
05-13-2015, 10:22 AM
This team is blowing it's load before it even had a chance. No surprise that rumors are surfacing about Joe Dumars having an impact in their decision making process.

:clap:

Not sure what the expectations are/were for a roster like that, but the front office and fanbase only has themselves to blame if they were higher than a first round exit in a tough western conference.

MonroeFAN
05-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Seriously, 28M per season for a guy who has already had an injury and got swept in the first round of the playoffs. That decision wreaks of Dumars. Yes, he's an incredible player, but the guy couldn't dominate his way to one win?

I'm not suggesting that it was a bad move locking a talent like that up. But that amount of money would suggest that the FO was bidding against themselves. Makes perfect sense now, Joe is famous for that.