PDA

View Full Version : David Blatt Almost Cost The Cavs Game 4

Rivera
05-11-2015, 08:21 AM
David Blatt made two potentially disastrous coaching mistakes in the final seconds of the Cleveland Cavaliers' 86-84 win in Game 4 at the Chicago Bulls.

Blatt attempted to call a timeout, unaware the Cavaliers were already out of timeouts.

Blatt's assistants, most notably Tyronn Lue, pulled him off the court as he was attempting to walk on the floor to call the timeout.

After the ball went out on the Cavaliers' baseline and the play was reviewed, Blatt originally drew up a play that would have had LeBron James take the ball out.

"There was doubt at first," said J.R. Smith.

James overruled Blatt wanting the ball.

"To be honest, the play that was drawn up, I scratched it," James said. "I just told coach, 'Just give me the ball. We either going to go into overtime or I'ma win it for us.' It was that simple.

"I was supposed to take the ball out, "I told coach, 'There's no way I'm taking the ball out unless I can shoot it over the backboard and go in.' So I told him to have somebody else take the ball out, give me the ball and everybody get out the way."

The playcall ended up having Matthew Dellavedova take the ball out and James' flashed to the corner for a buzzer-beating shot from the corner.

****** STAFF REPORT

HTTP://BASKETBALL.******.COM/WIRETAP/237746/BLATT-TRIED-TO-CALL-TIMEOUT;-HAVE-LEBRON-TAKE-BALL-OUT-ON-FINAL-PLAY

lakerfan85
05-11-2015, 08:49 AM
Did he draw the play up for Smith to shoot?

kdspurman
05-11-2015, 08:50 AM
rookie mistake by blatt almost pulling a c webb..

im not a fan of lebron and co. publicly second guessing/ throwing their coach under the bus. but im not surprised since its happened before. its like he wants everyone to know he calls the shots. i feel like its a slap in the face of the coach regardless if he's wrong or not.

kobebabe
05-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Did he have to go public about it? Had he missed the shot would he have admitted he scratched coache's call? Just wondering

FraziersKnicks
05-11-2015, 09:57 AM
But LeBron is scared of the last shot isn't he?

Chronz
05-11-2015, 10:08 AM
rookie mistake by blatt almost pulling a c webb..

im not a fan of lebron and co. publicly second guessing/ throwing their coach under the bus. but im not surprised since its happened before. its like he wants everyone to know he calls the shots. i feel like its a slap in the face of the coach regardless if he's wrong or not.

Its been happening for a LONG time before Blatt. I remember on Dunleavy's first day with the Lakers, he had like this 100 page playbook. Magic threw that **** in the trash and told his coach "Dont worry, I got this".

Blatt has been in over his head this year, no doubt about it.

kdspurman
05-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Its been happening for a LONG time before Blatt. I remember on Dunleavy's first day with the Lakers, he had like this 100 page playbook. Magic threw that **** in the trash and told his coach "Dont worry, I got this".

Yea I mean personally, whoever it is, why make it public?

I'm not disagreeing he's in over his head, but still. Throwing your coach under the bus publicly is never cool, and vice versa a coach doing it to a player publicly.

RowBTrice
05-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Should of been a technical foul and Bulls' ball. Nice.

Chronz
05-11-2015, 10:50 AM
Yea I mean personally, whoever it is, why make it public?

I'm not disagreeing he's in over his head, but still. Throwing your coach under the bus publicly is never cool, and vice versa a coach doing it to a player publicly.

Maybe he doesn't see it that way, he does have the authority to overrule his coaches decision and hes letting us know he did so. I personally dont care, some coaches deserve more respect that others IMO.

Jarvo
05-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Should of been a technical foul and Bulls' ball. Nice.

True, I was losing my **** at that lol.

jerellh528
05-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Nice to see James taking control of that moment. As a guy still considered a top 3 player, he's supposed to want that shot. Glad he didn't go for the "best basketball play" or whatever.

ewing
05-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Maybe he doesn't see it that way, he does have the authority to overrule his coaches decision and hes letting us know he did so. I personally dont care, some coaches deserve more respect that others IMO.

Bron did the right thing on the court. Off it, he should have kept his mouth shut and you know it

Chronz
05-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Nice to see James taking control of that moment. As a guy still considered a top 3 player, he's supposed to want that shot. Glad he didn't go for the "best basketball play" or whatever.

What makes you think he didn't go for the best basketball play? Theres not much time to get an open shot for someone else in this situation. Even the craziest of gunners like Westbrook admit when they make mistakes by going for glory rather than hitting the open man.

Chronz
05-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Bron did the right thing on the court. Off it, he should have kept his mouth shut and you know it

Nope, remove the controversy and see it for the normal basketball act its always been.

D-Leethal
05-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Nope, remove the controversy and see it for the normal basketball act its always been.

There would be no controversy if LeBron didn't air his coach out publicly and unsolicitedly. He should have some more respect for his coach than to make him look like a fool after the game was over and won.

ewing
05-11-2015, 11:13 AM

you remove the controversy by keeping your mouth shut. seriously you are just being a fan boy at this point. its not a big deal but he should have kept his mouth shut

Chronz
05-11-2015, 11:17 AM
There would be no controversy if LeBron didn't air his coach out publicly and unsolicitedly. He should have some more respect for his coach than to make him look like a fool after the game was over and won.

Im saying there is no controversy because players overruling their coaches happens alot.

Hawkeye15
05-11-2015, 11:17 AM
I personally don't think Bron should even bring up that he made a play change, but people do need to stop acting like this hasn't been done by a lot of players before.

Chronz
05-11-2015, 11:18 AM
you remove the controversy by keeping your mouth shut. seriously you are just being a fan boy at this point. its not a big deal but he should have kept his mouth shut

No you remove the controversy by understanding the game you watch. I mean, you guys are speaking as if its become a national story, oh my the controversy. Maybe I dont like Blatt but kindly link me to these talking heads making such a big deal about it.

ewing
05-11-2015, 11:22 AM
No you remove the controversy by understanding the game you watch. I mean, you guys are speaking as if its become a national story, oh my the controversy. Maybe I dont like Blatt but kindly link me to these talking heads making such a big deal about it.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/

it was on the front page when i came here.

you never tell anyone outside the family what you are thinking.

D-Leethal
05-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Its one thing to tell the media "Coach was drawing up and a play and I said just give me the ball and get out of the way", another to preface that with "this idiot wanted me to inbound the ****ing ball". It was a stupid thing to do from Blatt, but LeBron doesn't need to let the world know that.

Chronz
05-11-2015, 11:26 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/

it was on the front page when i came here.

you never tell anyone outside the family what you are thinking.

I dont see any talking heads defaming anyone there. Pointing out the fact of the matter isn't controversial. Scottie Pippen refusing to come in the game because he hated his coaches decision, THATS controversy. Everyone and their moms was defaming Pippen for that. I dont see any talking heads critiquing anyone here, prolly because there is nothing to talk about.

valade16
05-11-2015, 11:26 AM

Agreed. Whether you think a player overruling a coach is commonplace or something worthy of controversy, you have to realize that given the context of who said it about who and the rumors that have been going all season; it was going to turn into a controversy.

kdspurman
05-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Im saying there is no controversy because players overruling their coaches happens alot.

Yea totally. Just like QB's calling an audible last second. But there's ways to say it without making your coach look bad

nickdymez
05-11-2015, 11:27 AM

Why do you always feel the need to justify or defend Lebron all the time? Regardless if magic, kobe, jordan, whoever did it in the past, it's wrong. You shouldn't call out the coach on TV period. It would have been just as easy for him to say "WE" decided to switch up the play.

Chronz
05-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Its one thing to tell the media "Coach was drawing up and a play and I said just give me the ball and get out of the way", another to preface that with "this idiot wanted me to inbound the ****ing ball". It was a stupid thing to do from Blatt, but LeBron doesn't need to let the world know that.

He was ASKED, "were you suppose to in-bound the ball" and he answered the Q without your exaggerated tone.

nickdymez
05-11-2015, 11:29 AM
In reading through this thread, it looks like Chronz ruined it with his constant defense of Lebron like he's his lawyer or some ****.

FlashBolt
05-11-2015, 11:32 AM
Lmfao, of course, these LeBron haters are always quick to make something out of nothing. Blatt has already said numerous times that he takes LeBron's advice very seriously because of LeBron's experience. Blatt at this point could learn off James because he's the most experienced player in these playoffs (with Duncan gone). This happens all the time. With 1.5 seconds left to go, your only choices are J.R. and James. It's clearly going to be a shot or going to OT. LeBron has praised his teammates and coach all the time. His postgame interview was all about him admitting to his mistakes and thanking the guy above for granting him that shot. But he's throwing others in deep water? Oh stfu.

D-Leethal
05-11-2015, 11:33 AM
He was ASKED, "were you suppose to in-bound the ball" and he answered the Q without your exaggerated tone.

I stand corrected if that is actually what he was asked. I assumed he would ask something along the lines of "LeBron walk us through that last play". Why would a reporter come out and ask the best player in the world if he was supposed to inbound the ball on the final possession of the game if he just nailed the game winner? I'll go back and look but I'm skeptical of your account.

My exaggerated tone is representative of the face and smirk he put on when he said it.

Chronz
05-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Why do you always feel the need to justify or defend Lebron all the time? Regardless if magic, kobe, jordan, whoever did it in the past, it's wrong. You shouldn't call out the coach on TV period. It would have been just as easy for him to say "WE" decided to switch up the play.

I disagree completely, its not wrong, its COMPLETELY NORMAL.

Can you guys wake me up when the talking heads start crucifying Bron for his horrendous comments. It might be a big deal, but as it stands, just looks like you guys are trying to tmz this **** up. OMG did you hear wat bron sed last night OMFG that traitor.

ewing
05-11-2015, 11:34 AM
it's getting cultish around here

FlashBolt
05-11-2015, 11:35 AM
I disagree completely, its not wrong, its COMPLETELY NORMAL.

Can you guys wake me up when the talking heads start crucifying Bron for his horrendous comments. It might be a big deal, but as it stands, just looks like you guys are trying to tmz this **** up. OMG did you hear wat bron sed last night OMFG that traitor.

Dude, they know the difference between these things. They just love to hate him for any particular reason. I have found that if you're the best at anything, they will hate you regardless. It's definitely true in this example. Just gotta ignore them. Say your piece and GTFO before you succumb to their hatred.

kdspurman
05-11-2015, 11:36 AM

C'mon... Players can answer things differently in a way that's not like "my coach doesn't know what he's doing so I took over" attitude. Everyone knows Lebron does what he wants and will more times than not make the right basketball decision.

But, the way he says things come off as a slight towards his head coach, who whether he likes it or not IS the head coach for the time being.

I just think the way he answered was a bit off, and there are ways he could have gotten the same point across but maybe more respectfully towards Blatt

Chronz
05-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Agreed. Whether you think a player overruling a coach is commonplace or something worthy of controversy, you have to realize that given the context of who said it about who and the rumors that have been going all season; it was going to turn into a controversy.

We disagree on the context. We already know Blatt is on board with Bron overruling him, hes admitted as much in the regular season and has reiterated the point here as well. Again, maybe Im letting my dislike of Blatt influence me here but its really not a big deal to me.

Chronz
05-11-2015, 11:39 AM
C'mon... Players can answer things differently in a way that's not like "my coach doesn't know what he's doing so I took over" attitude. Everyone knows Lebron does what he wants and will more times than not make the right basketball decision.

But, the way he says things come off as a slight towards his head coach, who whether he likes it or not IS the head coach for the time being.

I just think the way he answered was a bit off, and there are ways he could have gotten the same point across but maybe more respectfully towards Blatt

The way he says things? Perhaps you are taking offense where no one hes describing does.

How would you have answered the question? In a Tim Duncan manner that comes off as emotionless? Sure, I guess he could be that person, but Im not gonna crucify him for being who he is. I let people be who they are, when they do something truly controversial, thats when I inject my own personality breakdown. This is not one of those instances.

Its like, why does he have to "be more respectful" when neither side finds the original comments to be disrespectful ? Maybe when Blatt comes out with a tell all book about his disrespected he was by Brons inane comments, then Ill believe you. Until then, I'll laugh with him at the comparisons he makes about Bron picking up the bill or whatever he said.

Chronz
05-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Not being cordial is not the same thing as being disrespectful. Thats all Im going to say on the matter, feel free to crucify him.

ewing
05-11-2015, 11:44 AM
He was probably to be cool like Pierce stuck his foot in his mouth

FlashBolt
05-11-2015, 11:45 AM
But J.R. and Thompson said the same thing and no one has a thread about them.

kdspurman
05-11-2015, 11:51 AM
The way he says things? Perhaps you are taking offense where no one hes describing does.

How would you have answered the question? In a Tim Duncan manner that comes off as emotionless? Sure, I guess he could be that person, but Im not gonna crucify him for being who he is. I let people be who they are, when they do something truly controversial, thats when I inject my own personality breakdown. This is not one of those instances.

Its like, why does he have to "be more respectful" when neither side finds the original comments to be disrespectful ? Maybe when Blatt comes out with a tell all book about his disrespected he was by Brons inane comments, then Ill believe you. Until then, I'll laugh with him at the comparisons he makes about Bron picking up the bill or whatever he said.

ha.. nah, Duncan just knows the difference between keeping some things in house and not letting the media bait him into saying things that will cause controversy. (that's what the media is trying to do a lot of times btw) You don't think TD has ever did something out there that Pop never drew up?

Like you said, maybe your dislike for Blatt is affecting your decision. But we'll just have to agree to disagree

FlashBolt
05-11-2015, 11:53 AM
If LeBron was inbounding: "James didn't want to take the last shot so he'd rather inbound."

LeBron decides he wants to end the game since he's so scared of the last shot: "James is throwing his coach under the bus by scratching his play."

He just said his coach drew up a play but he wanted to be the one to shoot it since it was either shooting it or going to OT. Nothing wrong with what he said. He hugged Blatt after the game. They respect one another but James has been in this environment before whereas Blatt hasn't. I bet none of you are going to talk about Lue pulling Blatt from the sideline and saying how Lue was throwing Blatt under the bus. Did James even hint anything about that altercation? But he's throwing his coach under the bus?

kdspurman
05-11-2015, 11:58 AM
But J.R. and Thompson said the same thing and no one has a thread about them.

The focus will always been on Lebron, that just comes with the territory. But yea, same for those guys and any player. Just best to keep some things within the team. Of course that's just my opinion

FlashBolt
05-11-2015, 11:59 AM
ha.. nah, Duncan just knows the difference between keeping some things in house and not letting the media bait him into saying things that will cause controversy. (that's what the media is trying to do a lot of times btw) You don't think TD has ever did something out there that Pop never drew up?

Like you said, maybe your dislike for Blatt is affecting your decision. But we'll just have to agree to disagree

Are you seriously going to compare Pop to Blatt in the sense of a player's understanding of it? Duncan isn't that type of person. This guy is the nicest player you'll ever meet. No one is saying James is an angel but this talk of him bashing Blatt is stupid and you know it. Blatt made a stupid t/o call and James could have called him out for that. But we're going to talk about how James said he wanted to take the shot so he changed the plans? Is that really something we need to talk about or are we just that bored today?

FlashBolt
05-11-2015, 12:07 PM
I think Blatt is the one to blame for this. As a player of James caliber, you should not let him inbound the ball like that. I don't know what happened there but that's like having Kobe inbound the ball. You just don't do that. I don't care what fg% he is on, have him decoy and let J.R. take the shot. You just don't have the best player in the world inbound the ball in such a critical point of the game. That is absurd.

NYKnickFanatic
Who was more clutch?

Tyronn Lue or LeBron James?

I'll go with Lue, pulling Blatt off the court like a child running into the street lol.

Hawkeye15

there is no doubt that LeBron sucks at public speaking. He has routinely come off as a victim, said stupid things in error, and simply isn't great in front of a mic. What he did I don't think needs to be done, but it's not something new either. And really, LeBron could get Blatt fired a nanosecond after the season ends if he wants.

Again, while I personally don't think a player should kind of throw his coach under the bus, it's not new. At least he had the common courtesy to admit he made a ton of mistakes yesterday before hitting that game winner haha.

Hawkeye15
05-11-2015, 12:10 PM
The focus will always been on Lebron, that just comes with the territory. But yea, same for those guys and any player. Just best to keep some things within the team. Of course that's just my opinion

right but the point is, this isn't even a big deal, just because it's LeBron. Players have been doing this forever. Calling out coaching, teammates, management, etc. Some don't like that, some don't care. Is what it is.

NYKnickFanatic
05-11-2015, 12:11 PM
I think Blatt is the one to blame for this. As a player of James caliber, you should not let him inbound the ball like that. I don't know what happened there but that's like having Kobe inbound the ball. You just don't do that. I don't care what fg% he is on, have him decoy and let J.R. take the shot. You just don't have the best player in the world inbound the ball in such a critical point of the game. That is absurd.

I don't know what play he called, but I can understand having LeBron inbound. He is their best playmaker/passer, so I would expect maybe a lob to the rim for JR or Mozzy?

kdspurman
05-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Are you seriously going to compare Pop to Blatt in the sense of a player's understanding of it? Duncan isn't that type of person. This guy is the nicest player you'll ever meet. No one is saying James is an angel but this talk of him bashing Blatt is stupid and you know it. Blatt made a stupid t/o call and James could have called him out for that. But we're going to talk about how James said he wanted to take the shot so he changed the plans? Is that really something we need to talk about or are we just that bored today?

Chronz brought up Duncan, hence my comparison. But the point is still valid. Some things are best to be kept in house, don't you agree?

I just think Lebron being the leader of the team should do a better job and be a better example when answering some of these questions. Not everything needs to be out in the open. Him saying "i scratched that" in regards to what Blatt drew up? He didn't just say I wanted to take the last shot, he made it known that he was not going to run what Blatt drew up. Period. Which is fine... Just don't feed the media that sort of stuff.

And to be fair, Lebron was like 9-29 at that point? so maybe it was the best interest of the team to get someone like JR an open look. And Lebron being the passer he is, would be trusted to make the inbounds pass. It's not that out of this world for that to be suggested.

Chronz
05-11-2015, 12:12 PM

They seem well versed in avoiding controversy but tell me, what did you think of Pop throwing it out there that Duncan would definitely be returning. Duncan refused to believe his coach said that and ignored the interviewers line of questioning.

I took it as a joke by Pop, but thats definitely more disrespectful than this. On one hand, Pop was speaking on behalf of Duncan's private matters on the other hand, Blatt and Bron are VERY open about how they interact with regards to strat. In either event its a non-story.

kdspurman
05-11-2015, 12:15 PM
there is no doubt that LeBron sucks at public speaking. He has routinely come off as a victim, said stupid things in error, and simply isn't great in front of a mic. What he did I don't think needs to be done, but it's not something new either. And really, LeBron could get Blatt fired a nanosecond after the season ends if he wants.

Again, while I personally don't think a player should kind of throw his coach under the bus, it's not new. At least he had the common courtesy to admit he made a ton of mistakes yesterday before hitting that game winner haha.

That is definitely true... I noticed that a lot with some of the things he says. It's probably just who he is, but surely you can understand why some view it as kind of a slight to the coach.

I do agree it's not new, but it's what we're discussing now. Lot of things have happened in the past that aren't right and happen now, that doesn't justify what's happening now IMO.

Chronz
05-11-2015, 12:17 PM
I don't know what play he called, but I can understand having LeBron inbound. He is their best playmaker/passer, so I would expect maybe a lob to the rim for JR or Mozzy?

I dont even think it was a bad decision. The Cavs were struggling with their out of bounds plays, Bron was struggling with his shot. It was definitely defensible but Bron overruled it. Blatt was trying his hardest to throw the game away yesterday but I dont think that final play would have been the worst.

How is he throwing his coach under the bus when he's answering questions about something thats commonplace in the NBA?

jimm120
05-11-2015, 12:20 PM
I think Lebron/smith should have said, "a play was drawn up but then I asked/pleaded/said I wanted the ball in my hands. The play was changed"

The way it was said, it is a big eff you to the coach.

FlashBolt
05-11-2015, 12:20 PM

I very much doubt they were going for a lob with 1.5 seconds left. That's too much time. In any case, you don't do that. You only let your best player inbound the ball in those moments if there were enough time for them to get the ball back.

Chronz brought up Duncan, hence my comparison. But the point is still valid. Some things are best to be kept in house, don't you agree?

I just think Lebron being the leader of the team should do a better job and be a better example when answering some of these questions. Not everything needs to be out in the open. Him saying "i scratched that" in regards to what Blatt drew up? He didn't just say I wanted to take the last shot, he made it known that he was not going to run what Blatt drew up. Period. Which is fine... Just don't feed the media that sort of stuff.

And to be fair, Lebron was like 9-29 at that point? so maybe it was the best interest of the team to get someone like JR an open look. And Lebron being the passer he is, would be trusted to make the inbounds pass. It's not that out of this world for that to be suggested.

To be fair, why are we looking at Blatt as a non-factor here? He messed up with that T/O thing and you should not tell LeBron to inbound the ball when there is enough time for a good look at the basket. That is not something you do and I'm sure it probably did tick LeBron off. He's a 4x MVP who has made clutch shots before but you want him to inbound the ball? I'm not buying that he can pass b.s. He should have been a decoy or the one taking the shot, period. Like I said before, this is not a big deal. James took the shot, said he scratched the previous play because he wanted to take the shot, and he made it happen. He has been hard on his own game this entire series and shelled away from blaming anyone but himself. If he meant to slight Blatt in any way, it wasn't intentional.

NYKnickFanatic
05-11-2015, 12:21 PM
I think people are blowing, what LeBron said, wayyy out of proportion.

At the end of the day, he won them the game and that's all that matters.

kdspurman
05-11-2015, 12:21 PM
They seem well versed in avoiding controversy but tell me, what did you think of Pop throwing it out there that Duncan would definitely be returning. Duncan refused to believe his coach said that and ignored the interviewers line of questioning.

I took it as a joke by Pop, but thats definitely more disrespectful than this. On one hand, Pop was speaking on behalf of Duncan's private matters on the other hand, Blatt and Bron are VERY open about how they interact with regards to strat. In either event its a non-story.

I don't even understand the comparison! lol... I actually remember Pop saying "they'll probably come back because the paycheck was good." Did the media then translate that to telling Duncan "Pop said you'll definitely be back?" Or did I miss Pop's quote?

Pop has a way of saying things in a serious/joking matter. Just like him saying when Duncan walks he walks, yet he signed a 4-5 year extension and said he loves coaching Kawhi. It goes unnoticed, people ran with Pop walks when TD walks quote.

kdspurman
05-11-2015, 12:24 PM
To be fair, why are we looking at Blatt as a non-factor here? He messed up with that T/O thing and you should not tell LeBron to inbound the ball when there is enough time for a good look at the basket. That is not something you do and I'm sure it probably did tick LeBron off. He's a 4x MVP who has made clutch shots before but you want him to inbound the ball? I'm not buying that he can pass b.s. He should have been a decoy or the one taking the shot, period. Like I said before, this is not a big deal. James took the shot, said he scratched the previous play because he wanted to take the shot, and he made it happen. He has been hard on his own game this entire series and shelled away from blaming anyone but himself. If he meant to slight Blatt in any way, it wasn't intentional.

No one knows that but him, but I think you might be right. It's just Lebron not really being a great speaker with the mic in front of him and maybe things come off differently than he means.

And yea Blatt was going to get blasted enough for the T/O thing. Just dont feed the media more than they need to get him even more crap. At least that's how I see it.

Redrum187
05-11-2015, 12:29 PM
So it seems everyone is completely okay with LeBron scratching the last play and taking the game winning shot himself. Seeing as everyone is on board with that and doesn't have an issue with him doing that, how then is letting the media know what the initial plan was, equating to "wrong"/"disrespectful"?

LeBron was asked "how much of a benefit was it to have a free time out [from the refs reviewing the play]"... He said that he scratched the original play and wanted the ball... meaning, had the Cavs had 5 seconds or 5 minutes, he would have called for the ball, so there was not a huge advantage because of the review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXa8CwbCIOU

Chronz
05-11-2015, 12:29 PM
I don't even understand the comparison! lol... I actually remember Pop saying "they'll probably come back because the paycheck was good." Did the media then translate that to telling Duncan "Pop said you'll definitely be back?" Or did I miss Pop's quote?

Pop has a way of saying things in a serious/joking matter. Just like him saying when Duncan walks he walks, yet he signed a 4-5 year extension and said he loves coaching Kawhi. It goes unnoticed, people ran with Pop walks when TD walks quote.

Yeah he said probably, in either event Duncan refused to entertain the notion that Pop said that, even tho he did. Unless I didn't catch the media saying the words definitely but I remember them quoting Pop verbatim.

The comparison is made because you are taking offense to something the coach doesn't yet ignoring Duncan clearly not trying to speak on something Pop said about his own career decision. Which is more invasive?

Chronz
05-11-2015, 12:33 PM
So it seems everyone is completely okay with LeBron scratching the last play and taking the game winning shot himself. Seeing as everyone is on board with that and doesn't have an issue with him doing that, how then is letting the media know what the initial plan was, equating to "wrong"/"disrespectful"?
Yeah makes no sense. We ALL should be OK with it, the players are OK with it, the Coach is OK with it (in fact he actually encourages it) and its something that has happened and will continue to happen in the NBA. Players SHOULD be allowed to speak freely about something so common. Truly much ado about nothing.

Chronz
05-11-2015, 12:34 PM
And yea Blatt was going to get blasted enough for the T/O thing. Just dont feed the media more than they need to get him even more crap. At least that's how I see it.

Who in the media gave him crap about something so common ? Really would love to see why you "see it" that way. I've been asking for the link to this alleged defamation since pg1.

72 Wins
05-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Personally, I think Lebron should not have been that honest with the media. What was the point of that? Maybe in the heat of the moment Lebron didn't think about it, but I find that very hard to believe considering how intelligent and calculated Lebron is.

But let's just say the Cavs stuck with Blatt's plan and lost the game, we would have been ALL OVER Lebron for not demanding the ball, etc. ALL OVER HIM.

Hawkeye15
05-11-2015, 12:36 PM
I dont even think it was a bad decision. The Cavs were struggling with their out of bounds plays, Bron was struggling with his shot. It was definitely defensible but Bron overruled it. Blatt was trying his hardest to throw the game away yesterday but I dont think that final play would have been the worst.

How is he throwing his coach under the bus when he's answering questions about something thats commonplace in the NBA?

throwing under the bus is a harsh term. It's the way LeBron says things at times. Just doesn't come off well. Meh

Hawkeye15
05-11-2015, 12:38 PM
I will say, LeBron can't win in some people's eyes haha. Does nothing? People criticize that he didn't take control. Takes control and hits the game winner? People criticize the way he did it.

Dude can't win. Hence why I even started to pull for him a number of years back. He could save a baby from traffic and a portion of people would complain that he did it wrong.

FlashBolt
05-11-2015, 12:39 PM
RedRum187 said it perfectly. That's all there is to it to be honest.

Chronz
05-11-2015, 12:41 PM
throwing under the bus is a harsh term. It's the way LeBron says things at times. Just doesn't come off well. Meh

Its not only harsh, its completely false. His own coach encourages it from Bron. If he encourages it, why would Bron not be able to speak on it ? I dont know why you guys seem to think it doesn't come off well, he tried to make fun of it IMO. All I know is that MUCH worse things have been said and done by superstars, this is truly a non-issue. Interesting but a non issue.

72 Wins
05-11-2015, 12:44 PM
He could save a baby from traffic and a portion of people would complain that he did it wrong.

:laugh::laugh: I'm not a fan of Lebron whatsoever, but you have to give credit when credit is due. There are alot of ppl just hating to hate.

FlashBolt
05-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Its not only harsh, its completely false. His own coach encourages it from Bron. If he encourages it, why would Bron not be able to speak on it ? I dont know why you guys seem to think it doesn't come off well, he tried to make fun of it IMO. All I know is that MUCH worse things have been said and done by superstars, this is truly a non-issue. Interesting but a non issue.

From my take on it, Blatt has encouraged James to become more of an adviser rather than just a player because he said it himself that James has more experience than anyone else. So why is it that when James goes out there and tells the media that he did scratch a play that Blatt drew up, do we call it throwing under the bus? Throwing under the bus would imply that these two aren't in-sync. They both acknowledged that they could learn from each other.

D-Leethal
05-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Yeah makes no sense. We ALL should be OK with it, the players are OK with it, the Coach is OK with it (in fact he actually encourages it) and its something that has happened and will continue to happen in the NBA. Players SHOULD be allowed to speak freely about something so common. Truly much ado about nothing.

The coach is OK with it because he would be fired if he wasn't OK with EVERYTHING LeBron says or does. LeBron knows this and leverages it which is why he can get away with insinuating his coach would have lost them the game if he didn't come save the day.

Question: Does anyone think LeBron brings up the fact that he overruled the coach on the final play if he misses the shot?

It was a chance for him to publicly stroke his own ego at the expense of his coach. It is what it is, thats LeBron.

kdspurman
05-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Yeah he said probably, in either event Duncan refused to entertain the notion that Pop said that, even tho he did. Unless I didn't catch the media saying the words definitely but I remember them quoting Pop verbatim.

The comparison is made because you are taking offense to something the coach doesn't yet ignoring Duncan clearly not trying to speak on something Pop said about his own career decision. Which is more invasive?

Duncan & Pop have a relationship far, far stronger than Blatt/Bron man, c'mon. That's not even remotely close to being the same. Duncan was not going to comment on anything because the media has a way of twisting peoples words around and he didn't hear it from Pop himself.

He'll comment on what he wants to comment on. Whether Pop said something or not, he wasn't going to answer questions about retiring/returning.

NYKnickFanatic
05-11-2015, 12:53 PM
I very much doubt they were going for a lob with 1.5 seconds left. That's too much time. In any case, you don't do that. You only let your best player inbound the ball in those moments if there were enough time for them to get the ball back.

For some reason, I keep thinking they only had .08 seconds. :hide:

NYKnickFanatic
05-11-2015, 12:57 PM
I will say, LeBron can't win in some people's eyes haha. Does nothing? People criticize that he didn't take control. Takes control and hits the game winner? People criticize the way he did it.

Dude can't win. Hence why I even started to pull for him a number of years back. He could save a baby from traffic and a portion of people would complain that he did it wrong.

Pretty much this.

He is basically in a 'damned if I do, damned if I don't' situation.

Mr.ATLHawks
05-11-2015, 12:58 PM

1 on 1 is the right basketball play in that situation. He made a nice stepback and shot i dotn think he passes that up 10 out of 10 times.

Chronz
05-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Duncan & Pop have a relationship far, far stronger than Blatt/Bron man, c'mon. That's not even remotely close to being the same.
I know its not the same, my argument is that its worse. On one hand, we have a mutual understanding on the other, we have a coach speaking on behalf of his player on a subject he refuses to entertain.

Duncan was not going to comment on anything because the media has a way of twisting peoples words around and he didn't hear it from Pop himself.

Thats kind of my point. Hard to twist reality, by the logic in this thread, Pop should have kept his mouth shut before speaking on behalf of his player on a sensitive/personal subject.

He'll comment on what he wants to comment on. Whether Pop said something or not, he wasn't going to answer questions about retiring/returning.
Do you have a link handy? Really want to revisit that interview now. Either way, I dont see how you dont get my point. I know he doesn't want to comment on it, from what I remember he looked perturbed by the line of questioning ( a line of questioning that would have been avoided had Pop "Kept it in-house"), it did seem like he thought the media was twisting his words but it was in fact reality.

The coach is OK with it because he would be fired if he wasn't OK with EVERYTHING LeBron says or does. LeBron knows this and leverages it which is why he can get away with insinuating his coach would have lost them the game if he didn't come save the day.
The same way you guys think Bron could have worded things differently is the same reason I dont buy this. Its one thing to be OK with it, but to go out of your way to say you encourage it, thats a coaching philosophy. And I highly doubt he gets fired given that hes in Y1 of a big contract and the team is still paying for Brown and Scott IIRC.

Question: Does anyone think LeBron brings up the fact that he overruled the coach on the final play if he misses the shot?

It was a chance for him to publicly stroke his own ego at the expense of his coach. It is what it is, thats LeBron.
Depends, do the Cavs win in OT?

NYKnickFanatic
05-11-2015, 01:13 PM

Honestly, if LeBron missed the shot, I could see him bringing it up.

See Friday's post game interview. The reporter brought up about Kyrie having 0 assists again and LeBron took the blame on himself. He said maybe if he had 4 turnovers instead of 7, or shot 12-25 instead of 8-15, they win that game. "Don't put that on Kyrie, put that on me. Kyrie is going to be great"

kdspurman
05-11-2015, 01:35 PM
I know its not the same, my argument is that its worse. On one hand, we have a mutual understanding on the other, we have a coach speaking on behalf of his player on a subject he refuses to entertain.

Thats kind of my point. Hard to twist reality, by the logic in this thread, Pop should have kept his mouth shut before speaking on behalf of his player on a sensitive/personal subject.

Do you have a link handy? Really want to revisit that interview now. Either way, I dont see how you dont get my point. I know he doesn't want to comment on it, from what I remember he looked perturbed by the line of questioning (a line of questioning that would have been avoided had Pop "Kept it in-house"), it did seem like he thought the media was twisting his words but it was in fact reality.

Can't find the full press conference, but you can see how Pop says it here- http://www.nba.com/spurs/tim-duncan-postgame-4/30/15

Tim was going to get that line of questioning anyway btw. Had Pop said nothing that question would have come up. It came up last year after a finals win and came up in 2013 after a finals loss. Tim gets like that whenever you ask him, it annoys him. Like, the media knows he's not going to tell them what he's going to do right after a loss, but they continue to ask. I guarantee had they not asked Pop about it and it never came up, they would have asked him about it.

Completely different cases man. For all we know, Pop already knows Tim's plans and he's just saying whatever. But yea... Look at how Pop answered that question and see if you still think he's airing out Tim's business

Hawkeye15
05-11-2015, 01:35 PM

well yeah

G_S_W
05-11-2015, 01:46 PM
Bron's goin to get hated on, period.

Prior hate: "Bron won't take the big shot. He'll pass off to mookie instead."

Current hate: "Bron wants to take the big shot and throw his coach under the bus. Shoulda kept his mouth shut and listened to coach. Insubordinate b......'

Sactown
05-11-2015, 02:29 PM
Mike and Mike tried to make this a big deal this morning and Chauncey Billups was like, yeah not a big deal happens all the time, even I've done it

Minimal
05-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Seriously LeBron most likely made the right call to scratch the play. With 1.5 left he had the best chance at creating a proper shot for cavs, because of his elevation on jumpshot, noone can block it or contest it properly, if he would have took the ball out, its most likely would go to JR, and Bulls knew it, they would have denied him.

valade16
05-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Would people's opinion of how much/little these incidents matter if Blatt is fired/let go in the offseason?

Wouldn't that lend credence to the idea that these things were either indicative of a problem between him and Bron or that they possible compounded the situation?

valade16
05-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Bron's goin to get hated on, period.

Prior hate: "Bron won't take the big shot. He'll pass off to mookie instead."

Current hate: "Bron wants to take the big shot and throw his coach under the bus. Shoulda kept his mouth shut and listened to coach. Insubordinate b......'

Doesn't this preclude a third possibility? That he overturned his coaches play call and doesn't tell the media?

NYKnickFanatic
05-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Mike and Mike tried to make this a big deal this morning and Chauncey Billups was like, yeah not a big deal happens all the time, even I've done it

"During a timeout, Larry Brown drew up a play for Rip. Coming out of the timeout, I huddled the guys and told them this is what we are going to do."

Mr. Big Shot!!!

KnicksorBust
05-11-2015, 02:42 PM
I have absolutely no problem with what LeBron did. If your coach is going mental, someone has to right the ship. It also doesn't really seem like Blatt cares... It's not like when he and Spolestra had that little riff. Blatt seems okay with just getting walked all over as long as it works out in the end.

Saddletramp
05-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Can't find the full press conference, but you can see how Pop says it here- http://www.nba.com/spurs/tim-duncan-postgame-4/30/15

Tim was going to get that line of questioning anyway btw. Had Pop said nothing that question would have come up. It came up last year after a finals win and came up in 2013 after a finals loss. Tim gets like that whenever you ask him, it annoys him. Like, the media knows he's not going to tell them what he's going to do right after a loss, but they continue to ask. I guarantee had they not asked Pop about it and it never came up, they would have asked him about it.

Completely different cases man. For all we know, Pop already knows Tim's plans and he's just saying whatever. But yea... Look at how Pop answered that question and see if you still think he's airing out Tim's business

What I got from Pop talking was that it was about the money. Sure, as long as everyone comes back they'll be a top tier team still but his quote of "they pay us a lot of money {paraphrased}" had me thinking "why would I and them leave when we make so much?"

Not all about the money, but that the money is a huge swayer. And that could be construed in a wrong way. It's like saying "Ehhhh, we've won enough and we're getting older. The fans are great, but at the end of the day, it's all about money". And it might only be about the money but you can't put those kind of words in another guys mouth.

About the Bron thing, who cares? He was asked a question and he answered it honestly. Why on earth would he throw the ball in and not be at least a decoy? Blast probably does need to go, btw. He's in over his head.

jerellh528
05-11-2015, 04:43 PM
1 on 1 is the right basketball play in that situation. He made a nice stepback and shot i dotn think he passes that up 10 out of 10 times.

Well, I think it would've been whatever the coach drew up. By not going for the best basketball play, I mean screw what the coach drew up and just take a contested 3 under pressure. By not passing that up 10/10, I think he's definatley passed up that opportunity many times or else he wouldn't have the reputation he does as a deferring type. It was a sight for sore eyes to see James want that moment, especially in a do or die game pretty much. Also I think people are saying that Lebron "can't win with people, either he does or he doesn't" or whatever. I think if he would've kept his mouth shut about scrapping his coaches play, that would've easily been seen as a win in most people's eyes by taking that shot, but the fact that he tried to over glorify himself in that statement just puts a sour taste into some people's mouth, so Lebron really brings the criticism on himself a lot of the time. Not mine through, I like when a player wants to dominate the moment.

NYKnickFanatic
05-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Well, I think it would've been whatever the coach drew up. By not going for the best basketball play, I mean screw what the coach drew up and just take a contested 3 under pressure. By not passing that up 10/10, I think he's definatley passed up that opportunity many times or else he wouldn't have the reputation he does as a deferring type. It was a sight for sore eyes to see James want that moment, especially in a do or die game pretty much. Also I think people are saying that Lebron "can't win with people, either he does or he doesn't" or whatever. I think if he would've kept his mouth shut about scrapping his coaches play, that would've easily been seen as a win in most people's eyes by taking that shot, but the fact that he tried to over glorify himself in that statement just puts a sour taste into some people's mouth, so Lebron really brings the criticism on himself a lot of the time. Not mine through, I like when a player wants to dominate the moment.

It was a two.

jerellh528
05-11-2015, 04:49 PM
It was a two.

Oh, looked like a 3 before I turned it off.

SF8
05-11-2015, 04:52 PM

That's why I became such a big fan of his too haha.

ChitownSports16
05-11-2015, 05:42 PM
But LeBron is scared of the last shot isn't he?

He wouldn't have taken that shot if the Bulls were up by 2 and he would have someone else take it.

InRoseWeTrust
05-11-2015, 06:03 PM
(1) The Bulls lost this game by not protecting a lead. So when I make point #2, I'm not making excuses for the loss. The Cavs outplayed the Bulls in the 4th and the Bulls have an L as a result.

(2) For the life of me, I cannot understand how officials and the league can say, with straight faces, that they couldn't see Blatt on the floor, between three players and past the 3 point line in the middle of a play. I mean....wow.

Edit: And kudos to LeBron for a clutch step back 2. That was deadly.

FlashBolt
05-11-2015, 06:32 PM
The very fact is, Blatt doesn't care unless they win because he's still a rookie. He has more pressure on him than Spo because with Spo, you knew Pat was going to stick with him. Really, Blatt has so much pressure on him that he has to rely on whatever works rather than what he thinks -- especially when it's LeBron out there. For all of you saying James would pass that if this or that was the case, what's wrong with passing? Your most clutch player may not always be your best player. Example, I would rather take James Jones shooting a game winning three than LeBron. That's just how it is. He's not passing that with 1.5 seconds. That's not enough time. He made a tough shot and at the end of the day, you have to tip your hat to that whether or not you hate him.

LA_Raiders
05-12-2015, 12:48 AM
Lol, come on Leflop, grow up already. I believe the coach had a good play, smith was shooting well.

Saddletramp
05-12-2015, 02:53 AM
Lol, come on Leflop, grow up already. I believe the coach had a good play, smith was shooting well.

I'd take LeBron over Blatt any day of the week. And you'd rather have him throw in the ball instead of at least being a decoy? You'd rather have Delladova shoot than LeBron? Lol. Plus, Butler was on LeBron. If LeBron woulda thrown in, Butler woulda been on someone else, probably JR. LeBron's better than Butler, Butler's better than JR.

You'd really want LeBron to throw it in?

NYKnickFanatic
05-12-2015, 09:20 AM
I honestly feel like Blatt will be gone after this season, even if they win it all.

FraziersKnicks
05-12-2015, 09:27 AM
I'd take LeBron over Blatt any day of the week. And you'd rather have him throw in the ball instead of at least being a decoy? You'd rather have Delladova shoot than LeBron? Lol. Plus, Butler was on LeBron. If LeBron woulda thrown in, Butler woulda been on someone else, probably JR. LeBron's better than Butler, Butler's better than JR.

You'd really want LeBron to throw it in?

Of course he would. Then he could say "LeBron was scared to take the last shot!" and wouldn't have to deal with the fact he made a great game winning shot in the playoffs.

valade16
05-12-2015, 09:40 AM
People are acting like there were only 2 options:

1) Go with the play call and people accuse him of being afraid to take the last shot
2) Scrap the play call and shoot it himself, then throw his coach under the bus

Those were most certainly not his only two options, he could have:

Scrapped the play call and not mentioned it to reporters

Scrapped the play call and mentioned it to reporters in a way that didn't throw his coach under the bus.

There are two issues here, the first (changing the play call) was absolutely the right move. The second (the decision to publically throw his coach under the bus) is not as cut and dried.

kdspurman
05-12-2015, 10:56 AM

1) Go with the play call and people accuse him of being afraid to take the last shot

Scrapped the play call and mentioned it to reporters in a way that didn't throw his coach under the bus.

There are two issues here, the first (changing the play call) was absolutely the right move. The second (the decision to publically throw his coach under the bus) is not as cut and dried.

Agreed, this is what I was saying as well..

InRoseWeTrust
05-12-2015, 12:42 PM
Did he have to go public about it? Had he missed the shot would he have admitted he scratched coache's call? Just wondering

The better question is the completely reversed scenario - if LeBron had missed the shot, would Blatt have come out post-game and gone "Well, gee guys, I wanted LeBron to inbound on that play to take advantage of his court vision but for some reason he changed the play on the floor. I would have like to see what would have happened but the game is over."

ewing
05-12-2015, 01:11 PM
The better question is the completely reversed scenario - if LeBron had missed the shot, would Blatt have come out post-game and gone "Well, gee guys, I wanted LeBron to inbound on that play to take advantage of his court vision but for some reason he changed the play on the floor. I would have like to see what would have happened but the game is over."

I've heard Bron encourages that

Chronz
05-12-2015, 01:23 PM

Agreed that they are separate issues entirely, not sure why people are going that route when arguing the insignificance of "throwing his coach under the bus" .

Chronz
05-12-2015, 01:30 PM

So you would rather him lie to the media than be open about something that is a complete non-issue to anyone whos paid attention to the NBA? I mean, why does the man have to cater to irrelevant people?

And his reputation is one of someone who makes the right basketball play, the high% look if you will. People that think he defers are people who dont understand basketball.

Chronz
05-12-2015, 01:38 PM

It led me to a different video where the Series was still in question. Definitely not the interview I saw.

I dont know why you keep mentioning they are different cases, I've never denied that and obviously Tim would be asked about his return during exit interviews, just not with the same accusatory tone that clearly bothered Tim. Whereas Blatt openly jokes about why Bron is allowed the freedom to change plays and isn't in the wrong for responding to a reporters question. I really dont think you understand just how common this kind of thing is and why its such a non-issue to comment on something that EVERYONE ENDORSES.

Chronz
05-12-2015, 01:43 PM
OMG look at the controversy, Bron was truthful about something that happens all the time. Next time he should just lie and say, " no, I didn't change the play, dont care what anyone has said about some alleged audible play, coach knows I want the ball and he made the right call by getting it to me".

I mean really, why lie when nobody should give a **** about the truth? Has it really come to this, THIS is what you guys consider throwing your coach under the bus? Man thats sad. How come no thread about Bron propping his coach up?

NYKnickFanatic
05-12-2015, 01:44 PM
OMG look at the controversy, Bron was truthful about something that happens all the time. Next time he should just lie and say, " no, I didn't change the play, dont care what anyone has said about some alleged audible play, coach knows I want the ball and he made the right call by getting it to me".

I mean really, why lie when nobody should give a **** about the truth? Has it really come to this, THIS is what you guys consider throwing your coach under the bus? Man thats sad. How come no thread about Bron propping his coach up?

Preach brotha!

valade16
05-12-2015, 02:05 PM

Because you aren't propping your coach up when you're throwing him under the bus…

It's not even that he told the media about the change in play call, it's that he did so in a way clearly designed to make Blatt look foolish, stupid, inexperienced, etc.

He could have worded it in a million different ways that didn't sound like "**** my coach".

But I've asked before and I'll ask again, would your opinion of how big an issue this is change if Blatt is fired this offseason?

ewing
05-12-2015, 02:09 PM

OMGs, how could someone criticize the beautiful LeBron? How dare people think he is douchy. He has been so efficient!

Chronz
05-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Because you aren't propping your coach up when you're throwing him under the bus…
Explain.

It's not even that he told the media about the change in play call, it's that he did so in a way clearly designed to make Blatt look foolish, stupid, inexperienced, etc.
Thats your opinion, I found it to be said with humorous tone when the reporter asked him if there was a change of play call. I mean, its like you guys think him being cocky is a F-U to Blatt, thats just his personality. There was no throwing under the buss here.

He could have worded it in a million different ways that didn't sound like "**** my coach".
Which of his words implied "**** my coach" again?

But I've asked before and I'll ask again, would your opinion of how big an issue this is change if Blatt is fired this offseason?

Dont see why, I dont think the man was fit for the job before last nights blunder but the Cavs are giving him a chance cuz they are paying like 3 coaches at the moment. I hope if Blatt gets outclassed that the team would let him go regardless of their success, we'll see how the rest of these playoffs go.

Chronz
05-12-2015, 02:12 PM
OMGs, how could someone criticize the beautiful LeBron? How dare people think he is douchy. He has been so efficient!

Beautiful? Man you got low standards.

I dont care if people think hes douchy

Hes actually been inefficient.

Up your troll game breh

ewing
05-12-2015, 02:13 PM
Beautiful? Man you got low standards.

I dont care if people think hes douchy

Hes actually been inefficient.

Up your troll game breh

i stick by my original statement!

mngopher35
05-12-2015, 02:15 PM
I totally get why the timeout attempt is a big deal, but really don't get the issue with the final play (players bringing it up or the fact Blatt did it). J.R. and (I think) thompson talked about the final play changing as well and don't quite get how any of them are throwing the coach under the bus by being honest about it.

Blatt did what a coach is supposed to do imo. He drew up a play at the end of the game hoping to give his team the best chance to win. In his opinion maybe the earlier struggle to get the ball in was an issue and he wanted to ensure a good inbounds with no to's left (and JR was shooting well too). After drawing it up the best player on the team told the coach that he wants the shot and the coach obliged (as one probably should with players of that caliber). I don't really understand what Blatt did wrong in that situation?

5ass
05-12-2015, 02:19 PM
How is he throwing him under the bus though? I see that as a compliment to blatt actually for knowing to trust bron.

Chronz
05-12-2015, 02:20 PM
i stick by my original statement!

mi tree

Chronz
05-12-2015, 02:23 PM
J.R. and (I think) thompson talked about the final play changing as well and don't quite get how any of them are throwing the coach under the bus by being honest about it.
Their argument is because when Bron says it, it comes with the implication that he hates his coach and is trying to get him fired. This despite the numerous times hes stood up for him, including after his monumental gaffe. The only way Bron can ever escape criticism if he removes his ego/personality from any and all questions. A simple yes and no should suffice from here on out. Anything more makes a mockery of his coach, even tho the Coach does that on his own.

mngopher35
05-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Their argument is because when Bron says it, it comes with the implication that he hates his coach and is trying to get him fired. This despite the numerous times hes stood up for him, including after his monumental gaffe. The only way Bron can ever escape criticism if he removes his ego/personality from any and all questions. A simple yes and no should suffice from here on out. Anything more makes a mockery of his coach, even tho the Coach does that on his own.

I know that's what it is like with a few posters but I feel like some of the people responding here generally have solid insight.

Not only do I question if the players honesty is an issue but my other point is how are they throwing him under the bus when he didn't do anything wrong in this situation (and as you said the one place he was wrong Lebron stood up for him)?

ewing
05-12-2015, 02:36 PM
How is he throwing him under the bus though? I see that as a compliment to blatt actually for knowing to trust bron.

his intent was to make the coach look like a fool and to make himself look cool and he succeeded half way. he made it clear that he thought found it incredulous that he was asked to be the inbounce man. In no way was the his comments intended to be a compliment as is evidenced by the media attention they created and reporters running to other players to get their comments on it.

"There's no way I'm taking the ball out unless I can shoot it over the backboard and go in." Jesus, he sounds like some sassy big girl getting an attitude.

Saddletramp
05-12-2015, 02:40 PM
What's awesone is even if LeBron didn't answer the question he was asked, but others talked about it, because, you know, others were there, then the story would be that LeBron changed the play anyway.

Be honest that it was a bad play call and you (the best player in the world) changed it or deflect the question, still be shown that you knew it was a bad call and changed it. The guy just can't win.

kdspurman
05-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Explain.

Thats your opinion, I found it to be said with humorous tone when the reporter asked him if there was a change of play call. I mean, its like you guys think him being cocky is a F-U to Blatt, thats just his personality. There was no throwing under the buss here.

Which of his words implied "**** my coach" again?

Dont see why, I dont think the man was fit for the job before last nights blunder but the Cavs are giving him a chance cuz they are paying like 3 coaches at the moment. I hope if Blatt gets outclassed that the team would let him go regardless of their success, we'll see how the rest of these playoffs go.

You've got yours on the subject like we do :) I think that much we can agree on

Saddletramp
05-12-2015, 02:43 PM
his intent was to make the coach look like a fool and to make himself look cool and he succeeded half way. he made it clear that he thought found it incredulous that he was asked to be the inbounce man. In no way was the his comments intended to be a compliment as is evidenced by the media attention they created and reporters running to other players to get their comments on it.

"There's no way I'm taking the ball out unless I can shoot it over the backboard and go in." Jesus, he sounds like some sassy big girl getting an attitude.

No, he sounds like a superstar wanting the game on his shoulders. Goddamn you LeBron haters are awful. If he throws it in you'd cry that the ball should be in his hands in the final seconds but he's scared. Some of you guys just need to grow up and stop acting like he personally stole your lunch money in middle school.

ewing
05-12-2015, 02:53 PM
No, he sounds like a superstar wanting the game on his shoulders. Goddamn you LeBron haters are awful. If he throws it in you'd cry that the ball should be in his hands in the final seconds but he's scared. Some of you guys just need to grow up and stop acting like he personally stole your lunch money in middle school.

Everyone say he did the right thing on the floor. Its you dick riders that need to grow up. He did the right thing on the floor and then opened his mouth when he should have kept it shut. he made his coach look like a fool, even if he thinks he is one, it should be kept in house. If he isn't smart enough to realize how these type of comments are going to be taken, he shouldn't should be more careful.

TheIlladelph16
05-12-2015, 02:54 PM
PSD is a prime example of why I will always root for Lebron James, unless of course he starts kicking puppies or something in his spare time. This is a non-issue, like 90% of things that people choose to ***** about regarding Lebron.

As to the actual topic of the thread, Blatt got really lucky there that no one saw his TO attempt. Granted, it never should have occurred with Lebron having been hacked badly by Noah right beforehand with no call, but still got lucky there.

Minimal
05-12-2015, 03:02 PM
Funny thing is Tyronn Lue most likely saved Blatts NBA career.

Chronz
05-12-2015, 03:08 PM

Or like someone making a joke.

ewing
05-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Or like someone making a joke.

he's a douche or he is stupid.

Chronz
05-12-2015, 03:11 PM
You've got yours on the subject like we do :) I think that much we can agree on

Agreed. Which is why the talk of motives should extend beyond this circumstance. Hes defended blatt from the ACTUAL criticism but there's only a thread about the NONISSUE simply because you guys are overly sensitive to his tone? My god that's biased

Chronz
05-12-2015, 03:14 PM
he's a douche or he is stupid. or he doesn't care about how the uninformed interpret his personality. What He cares about are actual issues

Chronz
05-12-2015, 03:16 PM
PSD is a prime example of why I will always root for Lebron James, unless of course he starts kicking puppies or something in his spare time. This is a non-issue, like 90% of things that people choose to ***** about regarding Lebron.

As to the actual topic of the thread, Blatt got really lucky there that no one saw his TO attempt. Granted, it never should have occurred with Lebron having been hacked badly by Noah right beforehand with no call, but still got lucky there.
Agreed. Puppy kicking is indefensible

kdspurman
05-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Agreed. Which is why the talk of motives should extend beyond this circumstance. Hes defended blatt from the ACTUAL criticism but there's only a thread about the NONISSUE simply because you guys are overly sensitive to his tone? My god that's biased

He's defended Blatt but you can't pretend that stuff earlier in the year didn't happen right? I get it was earlier, but there was a disconnect, and we don't know if there's still one or not. I don't think it's as crazy as you are making it out to be. I don't think it's overly sensitive. You have to take the evidence/facts at hand when talking about this stuff. It has nothing to do with hate or being overly sensitive.

Yes it's been done before. Lots of things have. We can still discuss them if they're relevant today

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/12/lebron_james_chill_mode.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2275582-david-blatt-would-love-if-lebron-james-let-him-do-his-job

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/01/14/lebron-v-blatt-video-evidence-of-their-disengagement/

ewing
05-12-2015, 03:31 PM
or he doesn't care about how the uninformed interpret his personality. What He cares about are actual issues

OK he's a self centered douche

TheIlladelph16
05-12-2015, 03:34 PM

Lebron is a self-centered douche because he doesn't care was PSD user "ewing" thinks about his comments. You make a fantastic point here.

ewing
05-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Lebron is a self-centered douche because he doesn't care was PSD user "ewing" thinks about his comments. You make a fantastic point here.

If its that he doesn't care how he is interpreted he doesn't care that people take his comments as making his coach look like a fool, that his coach then as to defend himself, that his teammates now have to deal with trap questions from reporters looking to stir the pot.

Saddletramp
05-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Everyone say he did the right thing on the floor. Its you dick riders that need to grow up. He did the right thing on the floor and then opened his mouth when he should have kept it shut. he made his coach look like a fool, even if he thinks he is one, it should be kept in house. If he isn't smart enough to realize how these type of comments are going to be taken, he shouldn't should be more careful.

Jesus, dude. He was asked a question. I see you conveniently disregarded my other post and just cherry picked:
"What's awesone is even if LeBron didn't answer the question he was asked, but others talked about it, because, you know, others were there, then the story would be that LeBron changed the play anyway.

Be honest that it was a bad play call and you (the best player in the world) changed it or deflect the question, still be shown that you knew it was a bad call and changed it. The guy just can't win."

So he made the right call on the floor but he shouldn't have said the truth in the presser? WHAT SHOULD HE HAVE SAID WHEN ASKED ABOUT IT? A LIE? Then he'd be LiarBron and everyone would say that he can't tell the truth about something that obviously happened. Get off the guy's dick for petesakes. You don't like how he left Cleveland although it was perfectly justified; we got it. Cool. Move on or keep acting like a butthurt scrub. Not like the guy beats his wife, cheats on his wife, has DWIs, films a "snitches get stitches" video, gets in bar/strip club fights, etc. like a lot of guys in the NBA have done/are doing. Yet ewing is still crying about a free agent move from 5 years ago. It'd be laughable if it wasn't sad.

Saddletramp
05-12-2015, 04:21 PM
If its that he doesn't care how he is interpreted he doesn't care that people take his comments as making his coach look like a fool,

Don't act like a fool, won't be made to look like a fool (unless you're LeBron for some inexplicable reason)

that his coach then as to defend himself,

Didn't he agree? It's embarrassing only because of the play call (amplified because of the nontimeout), not because of LeBron answering a question honestly when he's been as hard or harder on himself in this post season.

that his teammates now have to deal with trap questions from reporters looking to stir the pot.

Like you're stirring the pot right now?

JasonJohnHorn
05-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Better coaching would have won them game three as well. This series could be 3-1 right now....but you take close games like that I guess. The argument could be that the Cavs might be down 1-3 instead.

I'm surprised the George Karl signed mid-season with a $#!T team when OCK and Cleveland might both have been available. He's already lost out on the OCK job...

Hawkeye15
05-12-2015, 04:34 PM

LeBron has a history of poor public speaking. He may have had zero intention at all, he just tends to say the wrong thing sometimes haha

ewing
05-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Jesus, dude. He was asked a question. I see you conveniently disregarded my other post and just cherry picked:
"What's awesone is even if LeBron didn't answer the question he was asked, but others talked about it, because, you know, others were there, then the story would be that LeBron changed the play anyway.

Be honest that it was a bad play call and you (the best player in the world) changed it or deflect the question, still be shown that you knew it was a bad call and changed it. The guy just can't win."

So he made the right call on the floor but he shouldn't have said the truth in the presser? WHAT SHOULD HE HAVE SAID WHEN ASKED ABOUT IT? A LIE? Then he'd be LiarBron and everyone would say that he can't tell the truth about something that obviously happened. Get off the guy's dick for petesakes. You don't like how he left Cleveland although it was perfectly justified; we got it. Cool. Move on or keep acting like a butthurt scrub. Not like the guy beats his wife, cheats on his wife, has DWIs, films a "snitches get stitches" video, gets in bar/strip club fights, etc. like a lot of guys in the NBA have done/are doing. Yet ewing is still crying about a free agent move from 5 years ago. It'd be laughable if it wasn't sad.

Poor LeBron.

ewing
05-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Don't act like a fool, won't be made to look like a fool (unless you're LeBron for some inexplicable reason)

Well, that's self centered

Didn't he agree? It's embarrassing only because of the play call (amplified because of the nontimeout), not because of LeBron answering a question honestly when he's been as hard or harder on himself in this post season.

he's was put in a position to defend his ability to coach publicly, his players shouldn't put him in that position

Like you're stirring the pot right now?

I don't think it was a big deal, he is hardly the first and wont be the last athlete to make a mistake with the media but he clearly did. If this was the only thing i didn't like about LeBron id say he was stupid but so what?

Saddletramp
05-12-2015, 04:48 PM
Poor LeBron.

LeBron will be fine. Worry about the guy that you can control that's crying to strangers on a message board about something inconsequential.

Saddletramp
05-12-2015, 04:49 PM
I don't think it was a big, he hardly the first and wont be the last athlete to make a mistake with the media but he clearly did. If this was the only thing i didn't like about LeBron id say he was stupid but so what?

You say mistake, I say big deal. Cool.

ewing
05-12-2015, 04:55 PM
LeBron will be fine. Worry about the guy that you can control that's crying to strangers on a message board about something inconsequential.

how'd you know i was crying?

valade16
05-12-2015, 05:13 PM
LeBron has a history of poor public speaking. He may have had zero intention at all, he just tends to say the wrong thing sometimes haha

True, if the "decision" has taught us anything it's that he's not always great with public relations.

Hawkeye15
05-12-2015, 05:18 PM
True, if the "decision" has taught us anything it's that he's not always great with public relations.

I mean even more than that. He comes of as a victim sometimes, just says things that most likely have no intention, he just doesn't understand they can come off as kinda douchey. Like after the Dallas series, how he goes back to his job now, and we go back to ours. I know he meant that despite his critics, and the loss, he is going to get back on that horse, but the way he said it made it sound like, "you mignons can suck it".

It's my only real criticism of the man. Think before you speak, and limit what depth you go into, cause you are just not great at speaking in public. Lots of people like that.

infinity2152
05-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Whats funny is all these people acing like Lebron called a great play, for a player whos been shooting poorly all night to shoot a long contested jumper. Brilliant play call :) This conversation goes completely different if Lebron misses that shot. As for "Lebrons so great taking the final shot" if he had missed the game would have continued, he had zero risk hero-balling that shot. Make it, you're a hero, miss, you get to be a hero in overtime. Dont know who Lebron was supposed to pass the ball to, but it was probably somebody shooting better than Bron. The fact hat he made the difficult shot does not make it a better call.

IKnowHoops
05-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Whats funny is all these people acing like Lebron called a great play, for a player whos been shooting poorly all night to shoot a long contested jumper. Brilliant play call :) This conversation goes completely different if Lebron misses that shot. As for "Lebrons so great taking the final shot" if he had missed the game would have continued, he had zero risk hero-balling that shot. Make it, you're a hero, miss, you get to be a hero in overtime. Dont know who Lebron was supposed to pass the ball to, but it was probably somebody shooting better than Bron. The fact hat he made the difficult shot does not make it a better call.

The call that wins the game is the right call always.

infinity2152
05-12-2015, 06:11 PM
The call that wins the game is the right call always.

We'll never know if Blatt's play would have won the game, so we'll never know if it was the better play by that logic

ewing
05-13-2015, 12:01 AM
I mean even more than that. He comes of as a victim sometimes, just says things that most likely have no intention, he just doesn't understand they can come off as kinda douchey. Like after the Dallas series, how he goes back to his job now, and we go back to ours. I know he meant that despite his critics, and the loss, he is going to get back on that horse, but the way he said it made it sound like, "you mignons can suck it".

It's my only real criticism of the man. Think before you speak, and limit what depth you go into, cause you are just not great at speaking in public. Lots of people like that.

i agree. I do think he is a mercenary and that might be part of what lead him to say something stupid but i also honestly think he was just trying to be cool. He probably saw Pierce being off the cuff after his buzzer beater, tried to do the same thing, and misspoke. Its not a big deal but it was a mistake and its silly when people say he was paying the coach or compliment or that Blatt likes this. No, he doesn't

FlashBolt
05-13-2015, 12:11 AM
LeBron could have had Blatt removed and replaced anytime he wanted during the season. That should end talks of him trying to throw Blatt under the bus. I'm with Chronz on this particular issue. If your coach has publicly admitted to not caring about it, then how is he throwing him under the bus?

goingfor28
05-13-2015, 01:06 AM
The 2nd part is exactly what I wondered. And I think there is zero chance he man's up if he misses. Douchey move to throw Blatt under the bus like that.

valade16
05-13-2015, 10:10 AM
We'll never know if Blatt's play would have won the game, so we'll never know if it was the better play by that logic

We may never if the other play call was better but we know Bron's play call can't be worse because it also won the game. The only thing Blatt's play call could have done was also won the game, since he couldn't have won it better.

LeBron could have had Blatt removed and replaced anytime he wanted during the season. That should end talks of him trying to throw Blatt under the bus. I'm with Chronz on this particular issue. If your coach has publicly admitted to not caring about it, then how is he throwing him under the bus?

You can still throw someone under the bus even if they don't care about it. If a fellow employee goes up to your boss and says you're a terrible worker who comes in to work late and copies projects from others, whether or not you care about what they are doing, they are still throwing you under the bus.

FlashBolt
05-13-2015, 12:05 PM
We may never if the other play call was better but we know Bron's play call can't be worse because it also won the game. The only thing Blatt's play call could have done was also won the game, since he couldn't have won it better.

You can still throw someone under the bus even if they don't care about it. If a fellow employee goes up to your boss and says you're a terrible worker who comes in to work late and copies projects from others, whether or not you care about what they are doing, they are still throwing you under the bus.

There's a huge difference in that. If you acknowledge that you're a terrible worker who comes to work late and copies projects from others and tell that to your boss, is it throwing someone under the bus when that worker who happens to eavesdrop on that convo, tells your boss that exact same thing? I don't see it as throwing someone under the bus in this or LeBron/Blatt's case. I see it as two individuals who are contempt with their roles because they have a mutual understanding. And of course, let's thank the media for blowing this up. This was a no big deal scenario. The worst thing that came out of James was either the Decision or the unlimited rings debacle.

NYKnickFanatic
05-13-2015, 12:31 PM
You know what's funny, people are calling for LeBron's head, but BEFORE Bron was interviewed, about 5 or 6 Cavs players were interviewed and mentioned the same thing LeBron did. So before LeBron even spoke about it, his teammates had brought it up first. Why is no one mentioning that?

kdspurman
05-13-2015, 12:44 PM
You know what's funny, people are calling for LeBron's head, but BEFORE Bron was interviewed, about 5 or 6 Cavs players were interviewed and mentioned the same thing LeBron did. So before LeBron even spoke about it, his teammates had brought it up first. Why is no one mentioning that?

It's not a good look for any player to do it. Lebron being one of the faces of the league and with his status, of course it will be magnified more. Comes w/the territory.

But unless i missed the quote, Lebron was the only one to say he scratched the original play

mngopher35
05-13-2015, 12:53 PM

Except in this case there isn't a negative like that. Blatt didn't do anything wrong so how is it throwing him under the bus? This is more like saying a co-worker had a plan to finish the project but I just went ahead and did it myself (coming from the veteran superstar employee if you will). If anything it's more braggy than negative towards blatt.

I still don't get how it's a big deal for lebron to say this when others had said it too and blatt wasn't in the wrong anyways.

valade16
05-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Except in this case there isn't a negative like that. Blatt didn't do anything wrong so how is it throwing him under the bus? This is more like saying a co-worker had a plan to finish the project but I just went ahead and did it myself (coming from the veteran superstar employee if you will). If anything it's more braggy than negative towards blatt.

I still don't get how it's a big deal for lebron to say this when others had said it too and blatt wasn't in the wrong anyways.

That would be the act of overruling the play. To continue your analogy,

it would be like if you finished the project and then went to your boss and told him it was you and not the other employee who finished the project.

mngopher35
05-13-2015, 01:54 PM
That would be the act of overruling the play. To continue your analogy,

it would be like if you finished the project and then went to your boss and told him it was you and not the other employee who finished the project.

In this case the other employee can't finish the project he can only make the plan though. Lebron just came in and said nope don't worry about it I'll just do it myself (after years of proving he could and is the one of the best worker in the industry).

I don't know its hard to make the right analogy but there was a plan in place and he scratched it because he wanted the shot. That isn't a negative for Blatt, if anything give him credit for letting his star player take on that responsibility instead of being set in his ways. That's why if anything it sounds more like bragging than throwing anyone under the bus. Other players said similar things in the locker room and Blatt said he doesn't care, I just don't see the big deal at all (other than Lebron being involved).

valade16
05-13-2015, 02:23 PM
In this case the other employee can't finish the project he can only make the plan though. Lebron just came in and said nope don't worry about it I'll just do it myself (after years of proving he could and is the one of the best worker in the industry).

I don't know its hard to make the right analogy but there was a plan in place and he scratched it because he wanted the shot. That isn't a negative for Blatt, if anything give him credit for letting his star player take on that responsibility instead of being set in his ways. That's why if anything it sounds more like bragging than throwing anyone under the bus. Other players said similar things in the locker room and Blatt said he doesn't care, I just don't see the big deal at all (other than Lebron being involved).

Once again, that is the act itself. I have no problem with that, it was the right decision. But to then go to the media and make it a point to not only say "I scrapped Coach's play" but to also let people know that the play was to inbound the ball and I said "the only way I do that is if I can shoot it over the backboard and have it go in" is basically saying "I changed the play because it was stupid".

That is throwing your coach under the bus. You can disagree, but it was. It's obvious it was because there is a big media deal about it. Enough people perceived it that way that it became a news story. So whether he intended to throw his coach under the bus or not is irrelevant to the fact that he did.

Chronz
05-13-2015, 02:23 PM
He's defended Blatt but you can't pretend that stuff earlier in the year didn't happen right? I get it was earlier, but there was a disconnect, and we don't know if there's still one or not. I don't think it's as crazy as you are making it out to be.
I don't think it's overly sensitive. You have to take the evidence/facts at hand when talking about this stuff. It has nothing to do with hate or being overly sensitive.

Yes it's been done before. Lots of things have. We can still discuss them if they're relevant today

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/12/lebron_james_chill_mode.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2275582-david-blatt-would-love-if-lebron-james-let-him-do-his-job

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/01/14/lebron-v-blatt-video-evidence-of-their-disengagement/
Im not pretending, I see the facts, I just dont come to the conclusions you have because I dont just focus on the negative press but the times hes stood up for Blatt as well. Even MJ didn't fully trust Phil Jackson of all coaches until he won. Hell, Magic Johnson was a coach killer even after he had won with the coach. Now THATS controversy. And even then Magic was in the right for getting that buffoon canned. I let players be themselves and judge them by their success. Not all personalities mesh nor should we expect them to. Blatt has done a subpar job and very nearly lost his team the game when it mattered most, a guy like that should not be respected beyond what is normal IMO.

What were your links suppose to get at? I mean one of them was *****ing about his chill mode. Sounds like something overly sensitive people who dont understand NBA history would ***** about.
Players pace themselves because they know their bodies and the rigors of the NBA better than anyone, Bron doesn't care as much about the regular season because hes seen it work for him in the past. And when questioned by the reporter trying to spin his words, Bron actually responds intelligently IMO, telling him to try that **** with someone else.

Bron has scrapped Blatt's plans before, thats all I see. I forget who said it but players will sometimes huddle together and disregard what the coach laid out and run their real play. It really depends on the level of trust and I think you're expecting every coach to garner the same amount of respect regardless. I dont see why that should be the case, and if it were something to aspire to, coaches wouldn't command vastly different salaries based on how they lead.

If its that he doesn't care how he is interpreted
You read that wrong, he doesn't care how hes interpreted by the uninformed. When a real issue comes up, he clearly cares about his perception. This is not one of those issues because it happens all the time. He made a joke you didn't like is what this comes down to.

he doesn't care that people take his comments as making his coach look like a fool, that his coach then as to defend himself, that his teammates now have to deal with trap questions from reporters looking to stir the pot.
Thats the thing, there is no trap unless you're blind to the normalcy of it. In which case nobody within the team cares, its why they all admitted the play was changed instead of lying about it.

As most stars are, but in this situation, hes making a joke about something only the uninformed complain about. He may very well hate Blatt, but this is some truly TMZ caliber gossip.

It's not a good look for any player to do it. Lebron being one of the faces of the league and with his status, of course it will be magnified more. Comes w/the territory.

But unless i missed the quote, Lebron was the only one to say he scratched the original play

To do what? Admit that they changed the play? I thought you guys were over that, isn't it about how Bron said it that you guys are sensitive to?

If its simply that he admitted the play change was made, why should Bron care what people who dont understand how common/accepted it is think of how it looks?? Why do irrelevant appearances matter more than reality?

If its that he disrespected his coach, only to back him when it matters, then we can all simply agree to disagree. I dont know their relationship, I do not pretend to know their relationship. I do think Bron doesn't fully trust Blatt, that much is clear, I just dont think he should given the inadequacies hes shown thus far.

Chronz
05-13-2015, 02:27 PM
The Decision would have been a great move, had he actually stayed in the Cleveland.

Hes allegedly very calculated, reporters have spoken about how different he sounds when hes talking about a subject hes been coached on and stuff thats off the cuff.

Its those rare moments when he injects his personality/humor that he says things people can misconstrue.

The reason I dont make a big deal about it is because I dont want players to be robots, I like them showing their ego.

mngopher35
05-13-2015, 02:43 PM
Once again, that is the act itself. I have no problem with that, it was the right decision. But to then go to the media and make it a point to not only say "I scrapped Coach's play" but to also let people know that the play was to inbound the ball and I said "the only way I do that is if I can shoot it over the backboard and have it go in" is basically saying "I changed the play because it was stupid".

That is throwing your coach under the bus. You can disagree, but it was. It's obvious it was because there is a big media deal about it. Enough people perceived it that way that it became a news story. So whether he intended to throw his coach under the bus or not is irrelevant to the fact that he did.

I see where we disagree and its the bold part. To me that is the part that I am claiming was braggy. Lebron wants it to be known that he wants the last shot, especially with his "haters" questioning that about him. Like I said Blatt didn't do anything wrong so I don't see it as throwing under the bus since that would involve there being a negative here. I guess I haven't heard the story via the media so maybe they are making a deal of it, but they do that with anything they can (and Lebron draws people in).

To me it is Lebron saying that he wanted the last shot and was going to take it no matter what. I don't think he would have defended Blatt for the attempted TO if he was trying to throw him under the bus, it doesn't make sense. Sure I think he was trying to do it in a braggy way but that is far from a big deal.

Chronz
05-13-2015, 02:57 PM
I see where we disagree and its the bold part. To me that is the part that I am claiming was braggy. Lebron wants it to be known that he wants the last shot, especially with his "haters" questioning that about him. Like I said Blatt didn't do anything wrong so I don't see it as throwing under the bus since that would involve there being a negative here. I guess I haven't heard the story via the media so maybe they are making a deal of it, but they do that with anything they can (and Lebron draws people in).
I never got that impression either, all I've seen is the media head bring it up and the former player/analyst speak on how common it is. Hardly the big deal hes trying to make it out to be, but when its Bron, EVERYTHING is magnified.

To me it is Lebron saying that he wanted the last shot and was going to take it no matter what. I don't think he would have defended Blatt for the attempted TO if he was trying to throw him under the bus, it doesn't make sense. Sure I think he was trying to do it in a braggy way but that is far from a big deal.

He made a joke that guys that have no idea of the culture in that locker room are trying to heighten to an insult. Really makes me wonder what you guys would have done to Magic had he played in today's nba and Magic is considered one of the greatest teammates of all time.

Chronz
05-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Am I the only one who likes a star player inserting himself as an authority figure for his team? Maybe I just dont understand why someone like Blatt deserves such high respect.

Saddletramp
05-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Am I the only one who likes a star player inserting himself as an authority figure for his team? Maybe I just dont understand why someone like Blatt deserves such high respect.

Because the other guy is LeBron, I guess.

As far as that dumb analogy with the office workers goes, it was off. The real analogy would be if the team leader (Blatt) was in way over his head and set up the presentation (play) and had his choice of 5 guys to make the actual presentation (final shot) and instead of having the best presenter on his team, in the building, in the world, he wanted that guy to run the projector/computer (inbound the ball) which anyone could do and pick one of the other inferior presenters seconds before the actual presentation.

We all agree LeBron made the right call here in overruling Blatt but disagree that it should have/shouldn't have been discussed with the media. But that analogy is if after the presentation (last shot) won over the clients (win the game) and the bosses (the media) started asking all of the office workers and team leader (players and coach) about how they got it to all work and others involved (the four players not named LeBron) told the story of how the team leader (Blatt) wanted their best presenter to just run the projector/computer (inbound the ball) and when the bosses (media) asked the client winning (game winning) presenter (LeBron), he told the truth about the matter.

Now, the bosses like to stir **** up to get people talking so people look at their product (their reports, shows and stories) more than just about the physical item (the actual game) that they are involved in. The more people talk and discuss, the more they present, and the more they present, the more they're noticed which is good for business.

What the **** am I talking about?

FlashBolt
05-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Well it's really simple. When you're the best player in the world and such a prominent public figure like Bron, there are always going to be criticism. I like how he's dealt with it all. You can't name me one person who receives the same scrutiny James goes through on a daily basis and handles it in such a fashion. I mean, Lynch has been publicly making a fool of himself on media interviews and people are literally praising him for it. Let's be honest here.

kdspurman
06-18-2015, 03:02 PM
Just because there was some debates about this, here's another link about Lebron not really respecting Blatt, released today.

I saw it from close range in my role as sideline reporter through the Finals for ESPN Radio. LeBron essentially calling timeouts and making substitutions. LeBron openly barking at Blatt after decisions he didn't like. LeBron huddling frequently with Lue and so often looking at anyone other than Blatt.

There was LeBron, in one instance I witnessed from right behind the bench, shaking his head vociferously in protest after one play Blatt drew up in the third quarter of Game 5, amounting to the loudest nonverbal scolding you could imagine.

More in the link below.

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/3896/lebrons-handling-of-blatt-unbecoming

kovacs22
06-18-2015, 04:09 PM
I wish Blatt did cost the Cavs the game... D Rose + Butler FTW!

Rivera
06-18-2015, 07:41 PM
I was just about to post this article because I thought it was well written and true.

ChI_ShIzzLe
06-19-2015, 02:30 AM
If it wasn't for the Bulls choking away game 4, Blatt would be back in Russia right now. He should be sucking Lebron's toes everyday if he's still coaching in the NBA next season.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Just because there was some debates about this, here's another link about Lebron not really respecting Blatt, released today.

More in the link below.

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/3896/lebrons-handling-of-blatt-unbecoming

When a player openly disrespects the coach it makes it near impossible for that coach to lead the rest of the team. Knicks fans have seen that. That is why Duncan is so great. He always showed Pop respect even before Pop was Pop as another article pointed out.

Minimal
06-19-2015, 09:05 AM
Bron is probably making calls to Tom Thibodeau right now and about to fire Blatt.

IBleedPurple
06-19-2015, 09:10 AM

Bron did the right thing on the court. Off it, he should have kept his mouth shut and you know itAgree. Shut up about it, and this sounds eerily similiar to Bron doing the same thing before with a drawn up play....

Scoots
06-19-2015, 11:51 AM
It's pretty *****ty of Bron to coach the team and blame Blatt for mis-coaching the team :)