PDA

View Full Version : Best back-up point guards in the postseason

mrblisterdundee
05-10-2015, 01:56 PM
From Mike Conley cracked face and Chris Paul's pulled hamstring to Tony Parker's general malaise and Rajon Rondo's back/ego spasms, lots of injuries (and a personality quirk or two) have forced a lot of back-up point guards to take on bigger roles this postseason. Who do you think's been the best?
I'm personally including guys on teams that got eliminated in the first round, because there were some good performances then:

(Update)
1. Dennis Schroder: Somehow I spaced on this guy when creating this thread. Baby Rondo has been better than his daddy, and about as good as Jeff Teague in the playoffs, averaging 20.6 points, 7.4 assists and 2.9 rebounds per 36 minutes. I can't see Atlanta skipping a beat if he's the starter over Teague. He'll be the only German starter in the NBA by the time Dirk Nowitzki retires.
2. Austin Rivers: I'm guessing a lot fewer people are claiming nepotism against him now. He's provided good reserve minutes for the world's best point guard, averaging 18.4 points, 3.1 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.4 steals per 36 minutes while shooting 49 percent from the field and 44.5 percent from behind the arc. Then there's the 25-point outburst that allowed Paul to return on a padded carpet and provide Doc Rivers some parenting advice.
3. Patty Mills: Are we seeing the heir apparent if Parker doesn't recover to full strength? Mills averaged 10.1 points in 16 minutes per game, whereas it took 30 a game for parker to average 10.9. Mills' 35.7 percent field goal shooting looked pretty bad, until you considered he took twice as many threes and shot 57 percent from behind the arc.
4. Beno Udrih: Conley's a gladiator, but even with an ankle injury (and after divorcing possibly the hottest wife in NBA history), Udrih has still shown up big-time, essentially averaging 17, 5 and 5 per 36 minutes (with horrible shooting percentages).
5. Jose Barea: It's almost like the Rondo trade never (should have) happened. Barea handily outperformed Rondo and Devin Harris, averaging 8.6 assists per 36 minutes (with equally horrible shooting percentages) and efficiently running an improving offense for a Mavs team that never had a serious chance against Houston.

flea
05-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Schroeder has played the best to me, he's played better than his starter. Mills hit some shots but he didn't play a whole lot and he's not really a PG - just a shooter that is too small to play SG. Udrih is a really nice player for a backup - he can run the offense but he's a shoot-first PG too. If not for defensive limitations he'd be a pretty solid starter in the league.

I'll just do top 3 of guys left in the playoffs:

1) Udrih
2) Schroeder
3) Rivers I guess, even though he's not a PG and his limitations still hurt. Clips are lucky they're playing the weakest team in the 2nd round.

Clippersfan86
05-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Chronz would like to vote for Austin Rivers as well.

Clippersfan86
05-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Rivers is largely responsible for 2 of the Clippers 6 playoff wins. Not bad for a so called "Scrub" who 99 percent of people call a terrible player.

mrblisterdundee
05-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Schroeder has played the best to me, he's played better than his starter. Mills hit some shots but he didn't play a whole lot and he's not really a PG - just a shooter that is too small to play SG. Udrih is a really nice player for a backup - he can run the offense but he's a shoot-first PG too. If not for defensive limitations he'd be a pretty solid starter in the league.

I'll just do top 3 of guys left in the playoffs:

1) Udrih
2) Schroeder
3) Rivers I guess, even though he's not a PG and his limitations still hurt. Clips are lucky they're playing the weakest team in the 2nd round.

Good point. I'll add him in.

xxplayerxx23
05-10-2015, 02:48 PM
Was surprised at rivers explosiveness, still don't think he's to good lol but looks solid

ewing
05-11-2015, 09:26 AM
Schroder is the best player. My boy Jarrett Jack was also nice for Brooklyn and maybe a better player then Williams most nights at this point.

M.I.A.
05-11-2015, 09:44 AM
I'd go with Schroder but Barea is not far behind.

b_russ
05-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Rivers current play has kind of reminded me of a point guard from late winter 2012 in New York City...

Chronz
05-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Good read, I must say I did not see that scrub Austin having this good of a stretch, his highs and lows are so extreme but its fun when he finally gets going.

leprechaun5
05-11-2015, 01:25 PM
Rivers is largely responsible for 2 of the Clippers 6 playoff wins. Not bad for a so called "Scrub" who 99 percent of people call a terrible player.

You were the one who criticized Doc entire season about his awful moves IIRC. It's funny how fast people change their minds.

Clippersfan86
05-11-2015, 02:16 PM
You were the one who criticized Doc entire season about his awful moves IIRC. It's funny how fast people change their minds.

As a whole Doc has been a horrible GM. Rivers was the one trade I didn't criticize. On the Clippers forum I can pull up posts of me supporting Austin from day one. My ONLY gripe about him being on team is Doc's favoritism and super long leash for him but nobody else. That's not Austin's fault though, it's Doc's.

As a player I believe in him. I think he's got underrated athleticism and upside. He was in a mediocre environment and we've seen many times what Doc/CP3 do with young PG's. Best situation possible for his growth. Sam Cassell mentoring him too.

jayjay33
05-12-2015, 11:54 AM
Good read, I must say I did not see that scrub Austin having this good of a stretch, his highs and lows are so extreme but its fun when he finally gets going.

Don't be surprised if he keeps playing well. As long as he's playing for his dad. He's quick with good hops/handle and a decent jump shot. As long as his dad keeps with the whole "attack, I don't care if you make mistakes. I believe in you just keep attacking" spill.

He'll probably keep playing well. His confidence is so high, and unlike almost all other "scrub" players in his position. He doesn't have to look over his shoulder for the sub if he messes up or worry about not getting back in. That's huge, Doc has boosted his confidence and at the same taken all the pressure and tentativeness from worrying about screwing up off. There are a lot of scrubs out there who would play very well under those kinds of conditions. But they'll never get them.

I think he's gonna keep getting better. Because his dad is going far above and beyond to build him up. I can't blame doc though, that's his son and he believe in him.

Vee-Rex
05-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Ramon Sessions has been playing well. Matthew Dellevadova has stepped up a little bit. Just a couple extra names.

ewing
05-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Ramon Sessions has been playing well. Matthew Dellevadova has stepped up a little bit. Just a couple extra names.

I like Dellevadova's game a lot. he just seems to not quite fit right.

JasonJohnHorn
05-12-2015, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure I would argue he is playing the best, but with Wall out, Ramon Sessions is one of the most important players on their team right now.

M.I.A.
05-13-2015, 11:51 AM
i'm not sure i would argue he is playing the best, but with wall out, ramon sessions is one of the most important players in the nba right now.

fify

KnicksorBust
05-13-2015, 12:38 PM
Are any of them capable of being full-time starters on a different team?

mngopher35
05-13-2015, 03:23 PM

I think Schroder could on the right team, at least in a couple of years (he's only like what 22?)

ewing
05-14-2015, 12:29 AM

Schroder can definitely be a legit starter. if you don't ask him to be a playmaker mills could be a legit starter but he would definitely need someone to take on the play making role. I think Sessions could be a stop gag starter but i don't see him as a legit one

flea
05-14-2015, 12:32 AM
Schroder gets compared to Rondo for some reason (hand size?) but he looks way more Tony Parker to me. He's got some solid open court passing instincts but he looks to score and he's pretty effective at it with his elite handles. He'll unseat Teague next year without a doubt.

mrblisterdundee
05-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Schroder gets compared to Rondo for some reason (hand size?) but he looks way more Tony Parker to me. He's got some solid open court passing instincts but he looks to score and he's pretty effective at it with his elite handles. He'll unseat Teague next year without a doubt.

I don't think he'll unseat Teague. I think he'll leave Atlanta and be a starter elsewhere.

M.I.A.
05-15-2015, 07:49 AM
As a Hawks fan who is familiar with Schroder I can tell you that he is a very good player in the making. I don't think he is ready to start right now. He needs more development time and a good mentor if he leaves Atlanta. Coach Bud is a great mentor and I hope Schroder stays here because I like his game.

Scoots
05-15-2015, 12:07 PM
I think people are saying Rivers doesn't suck as much as they thought and confusing that with thinking he's good.

Mike Conley got divorced?!? Didn't he JUST get married?

How about the Warriors? Iguodala's per 36 11.1 pts, 4.8 rebs, 3.8 asts and a steal while playing great D. Or the combination of Livingston and Barbosa per 36 of 11.4 pts, 3,8 rebs, 3.5 asts while half playing great D :)

I think I'll go with Schroeder even with some of his bizarre decisions.

flea
05-15-2015, 01:03 PM
I don't think he'll unseat Teague. I think he'll leave Atlanta and be a starter elsewhere.

Teague is nothing but a speedster that gets overrated by casual fans because of his numbers, which are mainly a product of his team. He's certainly important to his team, but he's the 5th best starter. He's probably already reached his athletic prime and I don't see much of a future for him as a starter without his speed. If Atlanta gives up Schroder to watch Teague decline they deserve to lose - I really doubt they do that though. Schroder has top tier 2-way ability, Teague never did.

M.I.A.
05-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Teague is nothing but a speedster that gets overrated by casual fans because of his numbers, which are mainly a product of his team. He's certainly important to his team, but he's the 5th best starter. He's probably already reached his athletic prime and I don't see much of a future for him as a starter without his speed. If Atlanta gives up Schroder to watch Teague decline they deserve to lose - I really doubt they do that though. Schroder has top tier 2-way ability, Teague never did.

The only superstar we have is Horford. Everything else we've accomplished is because of Coach Bud. We've got pretty much the same team we had before, the addition of Coach Bud is what has made the difference. Coach Bud made Teague, Schroder, Millsap, Korver and everybody else on this team the players they are now by coaching maximum potential out of the entire team. He and Horford are the two guys we can't afford to lose.

Scoots
05-15-2015, 02:04 PM
The only superstar we have is Horford. Everything else we've accomplished is because of Coach Bud. We've got pretty much the same team we had before, the addition of Coach Bud is what has made the difference. Coach Bud made Teague, Schroder, Millsap, Korver and everybody else on this team the players they are now by coaching maximum potential out of the entire team. He and Horford are the two guys we can't afford to lose.

This year the Hawks added health ... otherwise it's the same roster and the same coach. Bud probably did a better coaching job last year than this year.

M.I.A.
05-16-2015, 02:28 AM
This year the Hawks added health ... otherwise it's the same roster and the same coach. Bud probably did a better coaching job last year than this year.

I disagree. Coach Bud is about player development into the Spurs' scheme and that takes time. And without Horford this team is going nowhere.

DitchDat
05-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Schröder.

Scoots
05-16-2015, 11:39 AM
I disagree. Coach Bud is about player development into the Spurs' scheme and that takes time. And without Horford this team is going nowhere.

And last year he took a bunch of mis-matched untrained players and made them play as a team at a high level despite injury issues. This year his team had already been taught the system but they were healthier.

I have no problem with him getting coach of the year ... I just think he probably did more coaching last year and it set up this year's success.