PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons and ESPN to Part Ways

NYKnickFanatic
05-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Bill Simmons, who built a personal empire at ESPN and is one of America’s most influential sports personalities, will leave the media giant when his contract expires in the fall. He and the company were unable to reach an extension after months of talks.

“I’ve decided that I’m not going to renew his contract,” said John Skipper, the president of ESPN. “We’ve been talking to Bill and his agent and it was clear we weren’t going to get to the terms, so we were better off focusing on transition.”

Skipper said that the differences between the company and Simmons were “about more than money,” although he would not offer details. He added: “We’ve had an excellent run with Bill, almost 15 years. It’s been good for us and good for him. It was a decision I had to make and he had to make to move forward.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/09/sports/bill-simmons-and-espn-are-parting-ways.html

Even though he is such a homer, I liked him.

goingfor28
05-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Finally. He is soooo fkn annoying. Bout time.

GiantsSwaGG
05-08-2015, 02:08 PM
I don't watch ESPN anymore but finally

Sportfan
05-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Bad moves for both parties IMO

ESPN got a lot out of Simmons. 30 for 30, Basketball hour podcast, Grantland will all take massive htits. That said, Simmons won't be able to find a platform bigger than ESPN

TheIlladelph16
05-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Love Simmons. I don't think ESPN will necessarily be hurt by this much, but I can't wait to see where Simmons goes now. Hopefully some affiliation with HBO so we get an unfiltered version of him.

Tony_Starks
05-08-2015, 02:39 PM
Sounds personal. Simmons was pretty annoying tho. The guy with the least basketball experience but still felt he was the biggest basketball expert. Hey, that almost sounds like......

jerellh528
05-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Good riddance bill. He was awful

Chronz
05-08-2015, 03:23 PM
I cant wait to hear Bill's side of the argument. A huge loss for one of the greatest fans of the game and a true student. I disagreed with him plenty, but I'd be lying if I didn't learn alot about nba history if it wasn't for his plethora of access.

Expect Laker fans to diss him tho, only the snarky Laker fans understood he did it as a shtick

L8kers4life
05-08-2015, 03:38 PM
I cant wait to hear Bill's side of the argument. A huge loss for one of the greatest fans of the game and a true student. I disagreed with him plenty, but I'd be lying if I didn't learn alot about nba history if it wasn't for his plethora of access.

Expect Laker fans to diss him tho, only the snarky Laker fans understood he did it as a shtick

NAH, I love Simmons, dude is hilarious, and I love how he needles the Lakers, god knows they need it.

HandsOnTheWheel
05-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Hopefully Broussard meets the same fate.

RowBTrice
05-08-2015, 04:18 PM
This will be ESPN's loss.

xnick5757
05-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Putting aside his homerism,

he attracted a ton of talent to Grantland (Lowe, Barnwell, etc).

I hope ESPN isn't going to shut it down

GiantsSwaGG
05-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Hopefully Broussard meets the same fate.

With his reliable sauces, I doubt it

Pfeifer
05-08-2015, 05:05 PM
I sports hate Bill Simmons

flea
05-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Good riddance. He turned sports journalism into stream-of-consciousness adolescent musings on the nature of basketball. Now every hack thinks they should talk about what movies and music they like in their columns. He is unreadable to me. And don't even get me started on that forray into broadcast journalism - TV is not made for squeaky midgets.

RLundi
05-08-2015, 05:17 PM
He will be dearly missed by me.

ThuglifeJ
05-08-2015, 05:39 PM
He hated all my favorite players and was obsessed with Paul Pierce and ripped on anyone who threatened his 'legend'.

He was always so bitter about Kobe, Tmac, VC, Iverson getting all the love over him in the day and it was annoying.

But, hes hands down one of the smartest and knowledge's ESPN guys by far. He actually knows the game and doesn't bs. Hes just biased that's all.

I'll miss him even annoying and all.

sens#11fan
05-08-2015, 05:42 PM
I actually liked him, but i'm honestly surprised that he was commanding 6 million dollars. That more than most athletes are making.

numba1CHANGsta
05-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Ive been following this guy for the longest, seems like ever since he stopped writing articles and said things that ESPN wanted and then went to being more about his own point of views and opinions about stuff, and thats when everything started to fall apart. ESPN will censor your voice.

MonroeFAN
05-08-2015, 06:04 PM
^they were paying him a fat salary. It's not bleacher report. Figure the personal stuff out on your own time, no one cares.

Stunner
05-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Hope Beadle is next

tredigs
05-08-2015, 09:09 PM
I've enjoyed his writing long before he became popular and apparently cool to hate, and am fairly happy that he's leaving ESPN due to the censorship stranglehold they have on him. Even if you disagree with him, he offers fun insight and poses questions with a fans mindset. In my experience the first to really pull that off in the mainstream.

It will be interesting to see where Grantland goes now. He was the brains behind it and may pull some of the best writers away, but without a massive company to keep it afloat (it's not a revenue generator, the article are too long and nuanced for the modern 'page click' age) it won't be able to exist. Which would be a shame, because it churns out some awesome content.

numba1CHANGsta
05-08-2015, 09:34 PM
^they were paying him a fat salary. It's not bleacher report. Figure the personal stuff out on your own time, no one cares.

People do care, not everyone cares about just the money bro

tredigs
05-08-2015, 10:00 PM

Why compromise your voice if you and your future generation are already set for life?

sens#11fan
05-08-2015, 10:23 PM

So people can complain about athletes making a lot of money, but not sportscasters?

Akagaminosteven
05-08-2015, 10:48 PM
I enjoy him, but understand why others do not. Although you can really tell they were on bad terms and ready to part ways:

Skip--says a rape accusation gave Kobe street cred in the NBA.
Stephen A--essentially calls Chip Kelly racist, makes a bizarre defense of Ray Rice.
Cowherd--weird racial comments.
Simmons--says Goodell has no testicular fortitude, gets cut. lol

torocan
05-09-2015, 12:34 AM
Not all of Simmons stuff was great, but 30 for 30 and Grantland did really nice stuff.

Can't say I'm surprised after last year's showdown over calling out Goodell.

I think he'll do fine. Someone will pick him up... they won't be ESPN, but he's not going to exactly vanish either. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up doing more syndicated stuff or on Fox or a digital outlet like Yahoo or Vice.

LA_Raiders
05-09-2015, 12:39 AM
Both suck, good move

DamnGoat
05-09-2015, 04:28 AM
I've been a big fan of Grantland for some time now, both the site and the podcasts they put out weekly, so I'm most interested in how this will impact them.

Simmons can be annoying when he puts his homer goggles on and tries to push an agenda non-stop, but he's a good writer and his podcast (BS Report) has always been solid, plus being responsible for Grantland & 30 for 30 should count for something.

I would guess he'll go to work for Turner or HBO or something along those lines and I'll be interested in hearing what he has to say about ESPN in the aftermath of all this.

SupremeNY.
05-09-2015, 04:43 AM
hopefully broussard meets the same fate.

lmaoo

JasonJohnHorn
05-09-2015, 08:57 AM
I notice a lot of people hate this guy. I'm not enamoured with him, but I enjoy the Grantland interviews and conversations he has with Jalen Rose. He's pretty much the only basketball guy that I don't want to punch in the face at ESPN (I'm talking to you Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless).

I mean, really... regardless of how much you might hate Simmons, aren't SAS and Skip WAY easier to hate?

Sportfan
05-09-2015, 12:11 PM
I notice a lot of people hate this guy. I'm not enamoured with him, but I enjoy the Grantland interviews and conversations he has with Jalen Rose. He's pretty much the only basketball guy that I don't want to punch in the face at ESPN (I'm talking to you Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless).

I mean, really... regardless of how much you might hate Simmons, aren't SAS and Skip WAY easier to hate?

It's mostly because of his fandom and conspiracy theories (Harden trade) that people hate him. But the guy has done so much with Grantland, the podcast, 30 for 30, I feel like you have to look past all that

HeatFan
05-09-2015, 02:13 PM
might have been good behind the scenes but on the set analyzing NBA games he sucked!!

TC9415
05-09-2015, 02:20 PM
I was never a huge fan of Bill Simmons, so not going to miss him that much.

JasonJohnHorn
05-09-2015, 05:48 PM
It's mostly because of his fandom and conspiracy theories (Harden trade) that people hate him. But the guy has done so much with Grantland, the podcast, 30 for 30, I feel like you have to look past all that

I realize that people can put a conspiracy narrative around a number of scenarios, but I have to admit that certain calls in favour of certain players, and certain lottery results.... they seem REALLY convenient. I think questioning those things is reasonable.

JEDean89
05-09-2015, 06:31 PM
the next chris sheridan. most of you are probably asking, who?

Tony_Starks
05-09-2015, 07:13 PM

Don't hate any of them. I find Simmons more in depth than Skip but doesn't really have the big picture perspective. More of a cold hard facts guy. I don't put him even in the same conversation with SAS. Not on the same level imo.....

cmellofan15
05-10-2015, 02:15 AM
not on the same level in what regard?

Sadds The Gr8
05-10-2015, 02:22 AM
Bad moves for both parties IMO

ESPN got a lot out of Simmons. 30 for 30, Basketball hour podcast, Grantland will all take massive htits. That said, Simmons won't be able to find a platform bigger than ESPN

agreed. sucks because I liked some of the stuff on grantland and I think it'll really decline without him. ESPN and Simmons both need each other.

soonabooma
05-10-2015, 02:46 AM
Simmons did nothing more than take up space. I never could figure out how he got that job in the first place. He must have performed some serious favors.

Big Zo
05-10-2015, 03:56 AM
How anyone can sit there, and listen to that nasally voice, and not want to punch him, is beyond me...

DreamShaker
05-11-2015, 10:25 PM
Enjoyed his writing, but he was cringe worthy on tv.

Sadds The Gr8
05-12-2015, 12:31 AM
How anyone can sit there, and listen to that nasally voice, and not want to punch him, is beyond me...

I couldnt ****in stand listening to him at first when I started listening to his podcast...then I got used to it.

IKnowHoops
05-12-2015, 01:39 PM
I actually liked him, but i'm honestly surprised that he was commanding 6 million dollars. That more than most athletes are making.

Wow, I remember when Max Kellerman got let go from around the horn cause he wanted a mill. I think Micheal Smith also makes a Mill. Id rather listen to or talk sports with both of them over Bill. I don't mind Bill, but I don't like him or want to listen to him. He's just there. 6 Mill? Did he want more than that now? Crazy, sat 6 mill he was getting over.

Chronz
05-12-2015, 01:50 PM
I love that he was let go for being money hungry. I feel like he has an overinflated sense of self. I guess thats kind of hard to avoid when you have guys like me fawning over his wealth of basketball resources and interesting articles. I'll miss him but part of me loves that hes not getting a **** ton of money. ESPN used him up, it was a smart decision. At some point , a mere writer is not worth 6M, I dont know if that time has come but if nobody offers him anything close to that, then that time has clearly come. He had alot of great ideas, those ideas aren't unlimited tho.

BTW, has he spoken out yet?

IKnowHoops
05-12-2015, 02:13 PM
Simmons did nothing more than take up space. I never could figure out how he got that job in the first place. He must have performed some serious favors.

Seems like he'd be down for whatever.

Vinylman
05-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Why compromise your voice if you and your future generation are already set for life?

he did that the day he sold out and signed his first ESPN contract... It is easy to be principled when you got 30 million in the bank.

Burkey3472
05-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Espn will be fine. Every time a big name leaves they are always able to bounce back. Simmons on the other hand might have some issues. Usually people that leave ESPN don't have more success at a competing network.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-14-2015, 04:16 AM
agreed. sucks because I liked some of the stuff on grantland and I think it'll really decline without him. ESPN and Simmons both need each other.

I've heard both sides- that Grantland will be fine without him and/or that it could collapse. But if I had to guess, I think it'll be fine.

Sadds The Gr8
05-14-2015, 04:18 AM
I've heard both sides- that Grantland will be fine without him and/or that it could collapse. But if I had to guess, I think it'll be fine.
I think it'll last but I don't think it'll be nearly as good. I hear that ppl shouldn't be surprised if some of the writers look to leave

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-14-2015, 04:35 PM
If Grantland collapses it's probably because Simmons takes the majority of them with him to the next website he starts.

Scoots
05-14-2015, 05:39 PM
I think Grantland is independant and not owned by ESPN.

c33
05-14-2015, 05:51 PM
I think Grantland is independant and not owned by ESPN.

"Grantland is a sports and pop-culture blog owned and operated by ESPN."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grantland

tredigs
05-14-2015, 08:28 PM
If Grantland collapses it's probably because Simmons takes the majority of them with him to the next website he starts.

They would never leave Grantland to join Simmons unless he has the backing another massive entity that can absorb the losses that a site like Grantland incurs. It's only able to exist without the sensationalist headlines + articles about Lebron/Kobe, etc because ESPN sees value in it in other ways. Under Simmons alone it would fail unfortunately.

TopsyTurvy
05-15-2015, 02:04 AM
Simmons will land softly with some decent angel funding to set him up similarly to Dan Patrick's leaving the mothership.