PDA

View Full Version : The 2 biggest draft steals Mitch Kupchak must target

Rocco007
05-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Essentially what we do early will dictate what we do later in the 1st round... After looking at various options...I believe these 2 guys are the players we need to target...These 2 players have that it factor that made Jordon Clarkston a steal... We need a couple of steals in this next draft...not including our Lottery pick that needs to be a homerun...
Here are my options with our Houston pick...If we draft a Center early, a PG or a SF...

PG Delon Wright 6'5" 190lbs Utah

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/video/2015/03/18/rising-stars-delon-wright-utah

Center Robert Upshaw 7ft 260lbs Washington

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHUV54UoT9k

Laker Legend42
05-06-2015, 05:27 PM
What makes these two guys steals? You can't consider a guy a "steal" until wayy after the fact. Draft position + production will determine that.

Mcdoh
05-07-2015, 01:35 AM
Think there's a chance upshaw increased his draft stock..

Rocco007
05-07-2015, 02:23 AM
What makes these two guys steals? You can't consider a guy a "steal" until wayy after the fact. Draft position + production will determine that.

Do some research on these boys...flying under the radar...

jaydubb
05-07-2015, 07:00 AM
LOL!! Did your crystal ball tell you these guys are gonna be draft steals?

Vinylman
05-07-2015, 07:15 AM
LMFAO... we are gonna get a steal in the FIRST ROUND... classic Rocco

bleedprple&gold
05-07-2015, 11:44 AM
LMFAO... we are gonna get a steal in the FIRST ROUND... classic Rocco

You can get a steal in the late first round if the guy ends up being much better than everyone thought and should have been a lottery pick. You don't think Jimmy Butler was a steal as the last pick in the first round of the 2011 draft?

Triple_Ocho
05-07-2015, 12:19 PM
May not need Wright if we draft Mudiay or Russell...

Vinylman
05-07-2015, 12:56 PM
You can get a steal in the late first round if the guy ends up being much better than everyone thought and should have been a lottery pick. You don't think Jimmy Butler was a steal as the last pick in the first round of the 2011 draft?

Nope... because that is where he was mocked at.... out performing your mock status isn't a steal imo

stealing is like Clarkson which was a guy mocked in the first round who fell for some reason to a later round but still performs to his mock...

Everyone knows who the two guys he is talking about are and quite frankly Upshaw is only mocking as low as he is because he is a dip **** off the court. As far as Delon Wright... he is mocking in some places in the low-mid 20's and is well known because of his brother. Neither guy is a steal with the Houston pick... that is their range with Upshaw a reach that early

Rocco007
05-07-2015, 02:22 PM
If you look at both of these guys..They should be going higher...Wright looks as good as any pure PG...and he's big enough to play the combo...Prides himself on defense...He and Clarkson would be a potential awesome backcourt...say if we land Okafor or Towns...
But if we land Russell or Mudiay...Then Robert Upshaw looks as good as anyone not named Towns or Okafor in the post...If he kept his nose clean, he would've been a top 10 pick...His blocks per 40 were the best in the country...He averaged 11 points 8 rebounds and 4.5 blocks in just 24 mins a game...
Both of these guys are from California...Wight from LA...and Upshaw from Fresno...

Rocco007
05-07-2015, 02:33 PM
https://youtu.be/Ml8R3MP9jSs

Zachattach11
05-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Watching Upshaw I really don't see him being a steal. He looks just like Alexis Ajinca but a little smaller and less of an offensive game.
Wright looks interesting but i don't see him being able to play PG in the NBA. I question his ability to take care of the ball at the NBA level, to be specific his ball handling looked like it needs to improve in order to be able to create at the next level.

numba1CHANGsta
05-08-2015, 02:17 AM
Watching Upshaw I really don't see him being a steal. He looks just like Alexis Ajinca but a little smaller and less of an offensive game.
Wright looks interesting but i don't see him being able to play PG in the NBA. I question his ability to take care of the ball at the NBA level, to be specific his ball handling looked like it needs to improve in order to be able to create at the next level.

Why is everyone so high on Upshaw? he prob won't even be there when we draft at the end of the 1st round

Mave1002
05-08-2015, 03:06 AM
If we end up with Jahlil Okafor AND get Tyus Jones using the Houston pick @ 27, that would be better than getting a steal.

DownUnder
05-08-2015, 06:07 AM
First round steals for me would be Okafor and Payne.

Rocco007
05-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Any player that is drafted late in the 1st and actually becomes a a starter, is definitely considered a steal...
Hell...some of the lottery picks may never start...but will end up being good role players...

Rocco007
05-08-2015, 03:43 PM

Do you think Mudiay looks any better than Wright on tape? Not to me...I like that Wright loves to play defense at 6'5"...and remember we don't need a pure PG...just a combo that can play alongside Clarkson...As far as Upshaw...He's far advanced in his rebounding and shot blocking at this stage..he will only get better... especially on offense...I like that he's already 270lbs...and he is a real 7footer...jumps multiple times to block shots on a dime...

jsthornton7
05-09-2015, 12:42 AM
Do you think Mudiay looks any better than Wright on tape? Not to me...I like that Wright loves to play defense at 6'5"...and remember we don't need a pure PG...just a combo that can play alongside Clarkson...As far as Upshaw...He's far advanced in his rebounding and shot blocking at this stage..he will only get better... especially on offense...I like that he's already 270lbs...and he is a real 7footer...jumps multiple times to block shots on a dime...

Wright is like 23 years old. Mudiay is 18. Compare Mudiay at 23 vs. Wright now and it's not even close.

Rocco007
05-09-2015, 02:06 AM
Wright is like 23 years old. Mudiay is 18. Compare Mudiay at 23 vs. Wright now and it's not even close.

That's what the assumption is...or maybe he's Gerald Green who won't improve until much later...as a role player...But I rather take a guy who's doing it now...playing how you like...I would go with Russell over Mudiay...or Wright later on...Mudiay doesn't strike me as a High IQ player...

jsthornton7
05-09-2015, 04:05 AM
That's what the assumption is...or maybe he's Gerald Green who won't improve until much later...as a role player...But I rather take a guy who's doing it now...playing how you like...I would go with Russell over Mudiay...or Wright later on...Mudiay doesn't strike me as a High IQ player...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUPLzhPfAww

Here is a small sample of interviews. I think he seems pretty mature for a kid his age.

I'd be happy with either Russell or Mudiay if we draft 3 or 4.

Vinylman
05-09-2015, 11:00 AM

Unlike you there is a reason that experts have Mudiay going no later than top 5 at 18 than Delon Wright going at the end of the first round at 23...

THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT

Rocco007
05-09-2015, 12:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUPLzhPfAww

Here is a small sample of interviews. I think he seems pretty mature for a kid his age.

I'd be happy with either Russell or Mudiay if we draft 3 or 4.

He interviews well...Plays different...But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...

Rocco007
05-09-2015, 12:44 PM
No one knew who Elfrid Payton until I posted about him...
Let's wait and see after the combines...Remember I was the first again...Delon Wright...

McAllen Tx
05-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Let's wait and see after the combines...Remember I was the first again...Delon Wright...
Are you serious about us all finding out about Payton because of you? Lol

Mcdoh
05-09-2015, 01:47 PM

lol

Rocco007
05-09-2015, 06:09 PM
If I have to go back...I will...Read my initial analysis and then read through the comments from posters... Very few knew who he was...or even liked him...I did the same thing with Jordan Clarkson...I called it...He would be a stud...
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?866727-Draft-Diamonds

Rocco007
05-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Another ignorant NBA wannabe running his mouth...

yeah he is because he isn't even really a PG... he was listed as a SG and as a combo guard at best which is probably why he didn't go higher...

like I said... he isn't as good as marshall and he is only 10 months younger... he isn't some 19 year old kid which is another reason why he was drafted lower

Clarkson was the only player that looked NBA ready tonight... 1st round talent for sure...

what a shock rocco came to his lame thread to build up clarkson...

smfh

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?870193-Jordan-Clarkson-I-may-be-the-best-point-guard-in-the-draft/page4

Rocco007
05-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Who and make your case...

Me...

One reason why the Lakers should trade down if they stick with a draft plan is because of
PG Elfrid Payton out of Louisiana Lafayette....and better resume...
He's Exum without the hype machine...
I will argue has a better pace at PG for the NBA...
and plays both ends with more energy...
Best player in the Mid Majors ala Lilliard...
Projected as a mid to late first rd pick...
He'll be in LA tomorrow for a workout...which tells me LA is on their scouting game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCij475dESw

I love going into the archives...

Rocco007
05-09-2015, 09:03 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft/expert/sam-vecenie

McAllen Tx
05-09-2015, 11:55 PM
Emmanuel Mudiay NBA comparison John Wall.

Delon Wright NBA comparison Jordan Clarkston.

I would rather have 1 Wall & 1 Clarkston then 2 Clarkstons.

Rocco007
05-10-2015, 02:16 AM
Emmanuel Mudiay NBA comparison John Wall.

Delon Wright NBA comparison Jordan Clarkston.

I would rather have 1 Wall & 1 Clarkston then 2 Clarkstons.

I guess I should clarify myself...I'm not saying Mudiay isn't talented...
I'm saying I rather go another direction early instead of Mudiay and addressing the G position later in the round...Go Big or SF...or Russell...who is more polished...
One other thing that bothers me about Mudiay is his FT shooting...58%...That's crazy for an elite PG...

jsthornton7
05-10-2015, 03:10 AM
I'm saying I rather go another direction early instead of Mudiay and addressing the G position later in the round...Go Big or SF...or Russell...who is more polished...
One other thing that bothers me about Mudiay is his FT shooting...58%...That's crazy for an elite PG...

I don't think FT% means much in this situation. Russell Westbrook shot 54% in his first season at UCLA.

The fact of the matter is, that Russell and Mudiay are considered 2 of the elite prospects in this draft and we need elite talent badly. If we have a shot at either it's very much worth the risk of them being a potential bust.

ShadowX
05-10-2015, 08:12 AM
Drug and attitude problems with Upshaw? No thanks. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/washington-dismisses-troubled-nba-prospect-robert-upshaw-013702065.html

McAllen Tx
05-10-2015, 09:54 AM

Excluding Okafor & Towns, what big would you draft in front of Mudiay? Or Russell for that matter? Winslow is the only other player who is rated as high as Mudiay & Russell. I'm good with any of the 3 - Mudiay, Winslow or Russell in that order.

All 3 can be elite and if that's the case you go PG if you don't already have an elite PG. Clarkston is not elite.

Rocco007
05-10-2015, 01:11 PM
Excluding Okafor & Towns, what big would you draft in front of Mudiay? Or Russell for that matter? Winslow is the only other player who is rated as high as Mudiay & Russell. I'm good with any of the 3 - Mudiay, Winslow or Russell in that order.

All 3 can be elite and if that's the case you go PG if you don't already have an elite PG. Clarkston is not elite.

I would consider Winslow or trade down and pick up multiple picks or players...
Sacramento is a team that needs a PG...we could swap 1st round picks....plus players like Nik Stauskas/Derrick Williams and then draft Cauley Stein or put a package together for Cousins...#1 plus JHill...

But Last year's draft should be a learning lesson...
I wouldn't trade any PG for Clarkson...

I don't think Mudiay looks any better than Smart or Payton on tape... He is a very good passer....But everything else looks about the same...and I wish he was a better defender with his frame...and he's not a good enough shooter to be a combo G.
You can't definitively say Clarkson won't be elite when all he's done is improve...He's already back in the gym getting stronger and working on his game...at what point will Lakerfans give the kid his just due...

McAllen Tx
05-10-2015, 01:55 PM
I would consider Winslow or trade down and pick up multiple picks or players...
Sacramento is a team that needs a PG...we could swap 1st round picks....plus players like Nik Stauskas/Derrick Williams and then draft Cauley Stein or put a package together for Cousins...#1 plus JHill...

But Last year's draft should be a learning lesson...
I wouldn't trade any PG for Clarkson...

I don't think Mudiay looks any better than Smart or Payton on tape... He is a very good passer....But everything else looks about the same...and I wish he was a better defender with his frame...and he's not a good enough shooter to be a combo G.
You can't definitively say Clarkson won't be elite when all he's done is improve...He's already back in the gym getting stronger and working on his game...at what point will Lakerfans give the kid his just due...
You want to trade down from getting a potential elite player to get some role players?

I could kinda agree with drafting Winslow but free agency for the next few years have plenty of elite SGs / SFs. Most projections Ive read about Mudiay compare him to Wall & Rose. When do elite PGs hit free agency? They don't, you have to draft one or trade for one.

Rocco007
05-10-2015, 02:17 PM
You want to trade down from getting a potential elite player to get some role players?

I could kinda agree with drafting Winslow but free agency for the next few years have plenty of elite SGs / SFs. Most projections Ive read about Mudiay compare him to Wall & Rose. When do elite PGs hit free agency? They don't, you have to draft one or trade for one. I said swap picks plus players and draft Stein...Stauskas was #9 pick last year and can play with Clarkson...and Yes Clarkson will never be a free agent...lol

McAllen Tx
05-10-2015, 02:28 PM
I said swap picks plus players...Stauskas was #9 pick last year...and Yes Clarkson will never be a free agent...lol
I know you said swap picks and players and my question still stands, you want to trade a potential elite player (Mudiay, Russell or Winslow) for role players? WCS role player Stauskas role player Williams role player. Do you think any of them can be the 2nd best player on a contending team? Maybe not even the 3rd best player.

And I ain't even gonna go there with you on Clarkston, I hope he does become elite. But as of right now having Clarkston wouldn't stop me from drafting either Mudiay or Russell.

Rocco007
05-10-2015, 03:25 PM
I know you said swap picks and players and my question still stands, you want to trade a potential elite player (Mudiay, Russell or Winslow) for role players? WCS role player Stauskas role player Williams role player. Do you think any of them can be the 2nd best player on a contending team? Maybe not even the 3rd best player.

And I ain't even gonna go there with you on Clarkston, I hope he does become elite. But as of right now having Clarkston wouldn't stop me from drafting either Mudiay or Russell.

Let's say we are 4...and Okafor, Towns and Russell are off the board...
I think you have to consider some options here...Including trading for Cousins...
Cauley Stein is a role player only because his offense needs to develop...not because he's not an elite type player who has a purpose ala Tyson Chandler...He's a rim protector...a very good rebounder and He can guard all 5 positions....something LA can use immediately...
And the if you're the Lakers you have to ask what does Mudiay give you next season that Clarkson won't? At least Russell can shoot and has an immediate offensive game...and does play defense...I can see a Clarkson/Russell backcourt...Both Players can shoot..Both players play defense...
I wouldn't be upset if we draft Mudiay because he has talent but I don't see him having an impact next season... He'll probably come off the bench...
But I will admit if I'm wrong...if he does different...

Rocco007
05-10-2015, 03:54 PM
Nik Stauskas is a casualty of bad drafting by Sacramento...they already had Ben Maclemore... But he's another good young piece to add...He's a bigger JJ Redick type... and you can still target a SF later in the 1st... I wouldn't discount a Stauskas/Clarkson backcourt either...He can handle the rock..so the question is would you take Mudiay or Stauskas/Cauley-Stein?...

https://youtu.be/IwWFgomoRy0

McAllen Tx
05-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Let's say we are 4...and Okafor, Towns and Russell are off the board...
I think you have to consider some options here...Including trading for Cousins...
Cauley Stein is a role player only because his offense needs to develop...not because he's not an elite type player who has a purpose ala Tyson Chandler...He's a rim protector...a very good rebounder and He can guard all 5 positions....something LA can use immediately...
And the if you're the Lakers you have to ask what does Mudiay give you next season that Clarkson won't? At least Russell can shoot and has an immediate offensive game...and does play defense...I can see a Clarkson/Russell backcourt...Both Players can shoot..Both players play defense...
I wouldn't be upset if we draft Mudiay because he has talent but I don't see him having an impact next season... He'll probably come off the bench...
But I will admit if I'm wrong...if he does different...

WCS is an American born 21 year old. Meaning he's probably been playing competitive basketball since probably 8 or 9 years old. He's played 3 years under Calipari. If he doesn't have an offensive game by now means he doesn't have one.

Maybe Mudiay doesn't have a good rookie year, and? You think the Lakers are gonna be contenders next year? Im pretty sure every team that drafts top 5 are thinking about the next 6 plus years.

If teams would but thinking only about their rookie season no freshman would be drafted that high. WCS and Harrell would be the top 2 picks.

McAllen Tx
05-10-2015, 05:53 PM
Nik Stauskas is a casualty of bad drafting by Sacramento...they already had Ben Maclemore... But he's another good young piece to add...He's a bigger JJ Redick type... and you can still target a SF later in the 1st... I wouldn't discount a Stauskas/Clarkson backcourt either...He can handle the rock..so the question is would you take Mudiay or Stauskas/Cauley-Stein?...

https://youtu.be/IwWFgomoRy0
Mudiay

Let's say all three play up the projections, you say Stauskas is a bigger Redick and WCS is Chandler and Mudiay is projected either Wall or Rose

Would you take Rose or Chandler & Redick.

Actually I would draft Johnson before WCS

Rocco007
05-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Mudiay

Let's say all three play up the projections, you say Stauskas is a bigger Redick and WCS is Chandler and Mudiay is projected either Wall or Rose

Look I hope we slide up to the top 2 so no one can second guess who we pick... It's Okafor or Towns...

Rocco007
05-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Mudiay

I would be happy with Russell and Upshaw in the 1st round...

McAllen Tx
05-10-2015, 07:22 PM
Look I hope we slide up to the top 2 so no one can second guess who we pick... It's Okafor or Towns...

Same here but if not here's my 5 in order:

1. Okafor
2. Towns
3. Mudiay
4. Winslow
5. Russell

lamar2006
05-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Lakers are not gonna draft 4th. They will be either top 2 or pick 5th. A top 3 team always slides.

leftymo
05-11-2015, 01:26 PM
It's tough to say who's a steal and who isn't. It's clear Kupchak traded aggressively to get that 2nd rounder to draft Clarkson which means they knew what they had there.

It'll have to be the same parameters. Moreso with Houston's 1st rd pick, than the two 2nd rounders.

Vinylman
05-12-2015, 09:25 AM
It's tough to say who's a steal and who isn't. It's clear Kupchak traded aggressively to get that 2nd rounder to draft Clarkson which means they knew what they had there.

It'll have to be the same parameters. Moreso with Houston's 1st rd pick, than the two 2nd rounders.

Mitch/Jim wrote a check to get that pick... no one was traded.

jaydubb
05-12-2015, 03:59 PM
If I have to go back...I will...Read my initial analysis and then read through the comments from posters... Very few knew who he was...or even liked him...I did the same thing with Jordan Clarkson...I called it...He would be a stud...
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?866727-Draft-Diamonds

Dood.. You think that every player the lakers get will turn into a superstar.. Your bound to hit every once in a while when you say a player will be good every single time.. It's like blind folding someone, giving them a baseball bat and throwing baseballs at them.. Eventually the batter might make contact with one of those baseballs.

Vinylman
05-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Dood.. You think that every player the lakers get will turn into a superstar.. Your bound to hit every once in a while when you say a player will be good every single time.. It's like blind folding someone, giving them a baseball bat and throwing baseballs at them.. Eventually the batter might make contact with one of those baseballs.

it is funny isn't it ... but that is what happens when the allow children to post on here

jaydubb
05-12-2015, 06:18 PM
it is funny isn't it ... but that is what happens when the allow children to post on here

Children that like purple crayons..

I gotta admit I didn't see clarkson playing the way he did last year, NOBODY did and I don't care what Rocco says.. If teams were high on him then he wouldn't have fallen so far down the draft board and let's face it the teams have the best view point on players in the draft because all these so called mock drafts are depending mostly on rumors (which a lot of times are false) and play throughout the previous season.. They don't see the predraft workouts/team interviews like the teams do which is why players are taken higher/lower then mock drafts occasionally.

Vinylman
05-13-2015, 07:14 AM
Children that like purple crayons..

I gotta admit I didn't see clarkson playing the way he did last year, NOBODY did and I don't care what Rocco says.. If teams were high on him then he wouldn't have fallen so far down the draft board and let's face it the teams have the best view point on players in the draft because all these so called mock drafts are depending mostly on rumors (which a lot of times are false) and play throughout the previous season.. They don't see the predraft workouts/team interviews like the teams do which is why players are taken higher/lower then mock drafts occasionally.

He fell pretty hard in the draft because he had a poor second half during his final year in college that was due to some family issues. People took that as him being mentally weak when facing adversity. obviously he overcame all that in a big way and the Lakers were the beneficiaries. Mtich deserves a lot of credit for going after him and believing him. I hope he continues to develop so that he can become a legit starter in this league.

Rocco007
05-16-2015, 12:08 AM
Robert Upshaw is really going to have to screw up the interview process to not go in the first round

Coming in at 7-foot with a ridiculous 7-5.5 wingspan, Upshaw was the largest player measured at the combine on Wednesday. His 9-5 standing reach is comparable to Hassan Whiteside, DeAndre Jordan and DeMarcus Cousins in the aforementioned DraftExpress database, and in fact it's only been exceeded by three drafted collegiate players in the last 15 years (Brendan Haywood, Jordan, and JaVale McGee). His ability to block shots is well-renowned, as he swatted 85 shots in only 19 games this season. But there's more to his situation than simple stats and measurements, as he was kicked off of two collegiate teams in three seasons (as outlined here) for situations that have more questions than answers. He'll answer for those problems in the coming month, and he'll need good answers to assuage teams' fears that he may not be worth the investment.

Still though, NBA teams tend to be forgiving, and the importance and value of rim protection is at an all-time high. It would take a lot for a team to not select him in the first round given how many people pulled out of the draft and given his tremendous potential value.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25183315/five-things-to-know-about-the-nba-draft-combine-measurements