PDA

View Full Version : 76ers will draft D'Angelo Russell?!?

TDE
04-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Looks like they will trade down to the 3rd pick, if they get a top 2. But shouldnt they just take the best player available?

The thought around the NBA is that the 76ers hope to select D’Angelo Russell in the NBA draft, according to a league executive.

“He’s the guy they want,” the executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Saturday. “That’s the word around the league. You know the Sixers. They won’t come out and say it, but he’s the guy they want.”

The executive said the team might have to nab one of the top two selections at the draft lottery on May 19 to get the former Ohio State combo guard.

http://philadelphia.suntimes.com/phi-sports/philadelphia-76ers/7/96/118990/report-76ers-want-ohio-state-guard-dangelo-russell/

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150428_D_Angelo_Russell_a_tantalizing_possibilit y_for_76ers.html

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/04/26/philadelphia-76ers-are-smart-to-want-dangelo-russell/

MrfadeawayJB
04-28-2015, 01:25 PM
I think this guy is a sure thing as far as manufacturing pts at the sg position

2-ONE-5
04-28-2015, 01:25 PM
we should want Russell but there is no reason to beleive anything that doesnt come from hinkie himself and i can assure you that Pompey didnt get this from hinkie himself, its just kind of obvious speculation due to the fact that Mudiay cant shoot and we already have our 4 and 5 of the future. If he is the target why not try to get a little something out of another team for Towns or Okafor if that opportunity comes up?

hugepatsfan
04-28-2015, 01:28 PM
"Always go BPA" is the general rule but I think this would be one of those exceptions where it's smart to take Russell over Towns/Okafor. PHI not only has young big men, but GOOD, YOUNG big men. Russell probably isn't as good a prospect as those 2, but he's close. Kind of the perfect storm to make a rare exception, IMO.

Hawkeye15
04-28-2015, 01:57 PM
"Always go BPA" is the general rule but I think this would be one of those exceptions where it's smart to take Russell over Towns/Okafor. PHI not only has young big men, but GOOD, YOUNG big men. Russell probably isn't as good a prospect as those 2, but he's close. Kind of the perfect storm to make a rare exception, IMO.

But why not have one of those assets to trade up in the draft next year for instance, when their contract increase is a year closer?

PhillyFaninLA
04-28-2015, 01:59 PM
Trade down to 3rd pick? We could draft anywhere from 1 - 5 depending on the lottery.

OP drafting Townes or Okafor doesn't make sense when you have Noles and Embiid (and Saric), a need for a PG and SG and have guys like Russell and Mudiay available. Trading down to 3 (if he was available) and acquiring additional assets may make sense.

Russell, Mudaiy, Okafor, and Townes all have start potential.

edit....actually 1 - 6 not 1 - 5, I forgot we had 3rd worst record and not second

sixer04fan
04-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Just another rumor... Draft is almost 2 months away. The lottery is still over 3 weeks away. Silly to put any validity to this.

We don't know who they want, where they're drafting, what trade opportunities will be available, etc. Speculation at this point is pretty useless

curtcocaine
04-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Please go to the Lakers

yungincome
04-28-2015, 02:24 PM
D'Angelo :drool: ....I hope the Knicks don't pass this kid up.

FraziersKnicks
04-28-2015, 03:20 PM
D'Angelo is my main choice if Okafor is off the board.

WaDe03
04-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Russell will be the best player from this draft.

Jeffy25
04-28-2015, 03:46 PM
When is the lottery btw?

Just curious, I don't know

sixer04fan
04-28-2015, 04:33 PM
When is the lottery btw?

Just curious, I don't know

May 20 I believe

TDE
04-28-2015, 04:33 PM
Russell will be the best player from this draft.

Not better than Okafor

TDE
04-28-2015, 04:34 PM
Jeffy25 May 20

Jeffy25
04-28-2015, 04:34 PM
May 20 I believe

Thx

TDE
04-28-2015, 04:37 PM
we should want Russell but there is no reason to beleive anything that doesnt come from hinkie himself and i can assure you that Pompey didnt get this from hinkie himself, its just kind of obvious speculation due to the fact that Mudiay cant shoot and we already have our 4 and 5 of the future. If he is the target why not try to get a little something out of another team for Towns or Okafor if that opportunity comes up?

Like what? a late 1st rounder?

More-Than-Most
04-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Not better than Okafor

I dont see the omg amazing for Okafor that everyone else does honestly... I just dont see it.

2-ONE-5
04-28-2015, 04:54 PM
more likely to get a future first or 2 depending on the team and how muchthey value Towns/Okafor. If Minny were to fall to behind us I could see a potental deal getting done. Not sure whre you get a late fist rounder from when we are talking about trading with a select few teams.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-28-2015, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't trade top #1 or #2 pick yet. Bit risky hey? Embiid hasn't even played yet. See if he can play a full season. I'd take Towns at #1 and go from there. Trade the weakest link a season or so down the road.

Hawkeye15
04-28-2015, 04:59 PM
more likely to get a future first or 2 depending on the team and how muchthey value Towns/Okafor. If Minny were to fall to behind us I could see a potental deal getting done. Not sure whre you get a late fist rounder from when we are talking about trading with a select few teams.

Flip has "said" that he doesn't care where the Wolves land, the draft is top heavy and they will get a good player at 1-4.

Course, could just be saying that..

WaDe03
04-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Not better than Okafor

I guarantee it.

TDE
04-28-2015, 05:57 PM
I dont see the omg amazing for Okafor that everyone else does honestly... I just dont see it.

In college he averaged over 60%, he has very good size for his position and he has an impressive back to the basket game that we have not seen in a big for a good while. This is why he's going one.

TDE
04-28-2015, 06:04 PM

Example: If the 76ers get the 2nd pick and Lakers or Twolves land 3rd. The 76ers will more than likely trade with them if Lakers/Twolves are willing to part with this years Late pick(20's).

hugepatsfan
04-28-2015, 06:11 PM
But why not have one of those assets to trade up in the draft next year for instance, when their contract increase is a year closer?

But wouldn't you be trading up to try and draft a player like Russell anyway? I'm not disagreeing with you. I don't think there's a "wrong" answer.

Blitzace137
04-28-2015, 06:19 PM
Flip has "said" that he doesn't care where the Wolves land, the draft is top heavy and they will get a good player at 1-4.

Don't believe flip not after he said you guys weren't tanking in the end to get past the Knicks :( lol

5ass
04-28-2015, 07:01 PM
i really like him as a fit with philly, much more so than Mudiay.

KnicksorBust
04-28-2015, 07:09 PM
Good one less team in the running for Towns. Go NY go NY go

More-Than-Most
04-29-2015, 02:09 AM
Good one less team in the running for Towns. Go NY go NY go

Yea any of the top 4 or 5 are going to be great picks but i am not seeing the okafor love.... Like omg if he doesnt go one people are going to regret it type love... I dont think he is a cant miss guy like Durant/Lebron.

2-ONE-5
04-29-2015, 08:47 AM

I really cant see Minny not targetting Towns or Okafor with Rubio, Wiggins Lavine, Shabzz already there.

Example: If the 76ers get the 2nd pick and Lakers or Twolves land 3rd. The 76ers will more than likely trade with them if Lakers/Twolves are willing to part with this years Late pick(20's).

neither has another first that im aware of and it wont be that simple with Hinkie anyway.

2-ONE-5
04-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Yea any of the top 4 or 5 are going to be great picks but i am not seeing the okafor love.... Like omg if he doesnt go one people are going to regret it type love... I dont think he is a cant miss guy like Durant/Lebron.

nobosy is saying that about Okafor

Jarvo
04-29-2015, 10:26 AM

As a Duke fan and seeing him, I feel he should've stayed another year to work on his defense. He has good post moves and can score but falls asleep on defense sometimes & he sucks at the line. He's gonna be a great player but would have benefited staying another year.

2-ONE-5
04-29-2015, 10:49 AM
improving your D is not something you stay in school for espcially when you're a top pick. His D improved in the tounrey and it will continue to become at least respectable over time.

KnicksorBust
04-29-2015, 12:30 PM

I find it interesting that their are 4 elite options: 2 guards, 2 bigs
and the three terrible teams all have a clear need that basically matches the draft board perfectly:

T-Wolves = Big
Knicks = Big
Sixers = Guard