PDA

View Full Version : Spurs planning on targeting LaMarcus Aldridge in Free Agency

TylerSL
04-25-2015, 05:45 PM
The San Antonio Spurs have their new franchise cornerstone in Kawhi Leonard, the two-way superstar who scored 32 points while smothering the Los Angeles Clippers in Game 3 on Friday. He'll be a restricted free agent in July, and the Spurs are hoping to lock him up with a max deal, then chase another free agent -- Portland Trail Blazers big man LaMarcus Aldridge, according to Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski:

In a perfect scenario, the Spurs have a full understanding of the futures of [Tim] Duncan, [Manu] Ginobili and Danny Green when they walk into a 12:01 a.m. ET meeting on July 1 with Leonard and his agent, Brian Elfus, in Los Angeles. The Spurs will offer Leonard a full maximum contract extension, get a commitment and turn themselves toward prying Aldridge back to his Texas roots.

For now, there's no scenario where Leonard plans to pursue offer sheets on the market, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Leonard wants to be a Spur, and the Spurs are expected to come calling on July 1 with the max offer that they resisted delivering Leonard in the preseason, a move born out of preserving cap space to bring on a star free agent this summer.

The Spurs can't be sure how they'll proceed on July 1 until they know Duncan's and Ginobili's plans. Whatever they decide, the possibility of pursuing Aldridge on the recruiting trail could offer the Spurs the chance to do the only thing that they've never done in the NBA: Lure an All-Star free agent in his prime, beat New York and Los Angeles somewhere besides the basketball court.

Adding Aldridge, who turns 30 in July, would obviously extend the Spurs' championship window. It would also mean he'd be going back on his word -- the four-time All-Star said last summer that he definitely intended to sign a five-year deal in 2015 and wanted to become the best Blazer of all-time.

The Oregonian's Jason Quick, however, called Aldridge fickle, moody and unpredictable when reporting that at least one Blazer thought there was a 50-50 chance he'd leave. While he's beloved in Portland and has a great running mate in Damian Lillard, San Antonio would offer him a chance to play in his home state, under Gregg Popovich, alongside Leonard, Tony Parker, great role players and possibly Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, depending on if they want to make another run. There have been rumors about this for a long while, and he'd be crazy not to at least consider it.

The funny thing is imagining Leonard playing the role of recruiter. He's the quietest guy in the league, and it's incredibly difficult to picture him trying to convince any free agent to do anything. Fortunately for the Spurs, his play is doing the talking for them.

The Spurs will have more than 37 million in space this summer and a Kawhi Leonard max would be 5 years 90 million and would start at 16 million next year. That would leave them with 21 million left but unless one or both of Duncan and Manu retire, I'm almost certain they would have to bring them back before they could try to sign a max or near max level player. I also don't believe they will be able to retain Danny Green, somebody is going to overpay for him in free agency. Because of this, I could see San Antonio just renouncing his bird rights.

Maybe the Spurs could move Splitter (8.5 million) or Diaw (7.5 million) to create more space. If the Spurs could move Diaw that would give them 28.5 million in cap after a Leonard max and letting Green walk. I believe Duncan and Manu will both retire after next year so I see them both coming back one more year. To allow San Antonio to try to bring in a max level player they would both have to come back on even much cheaper deals than they are currently making. I can see 1 year 5 million contracts for both of them.

That would give San Antonio around 18.5 million but I could see a scenario where Aldridge only signs a 1 year deal. If Aldridge waits until the summer of 2016 to sign a huge contract he could get a lot more money, and not just because of the cap increases. This is Aldridge's 9th NBA season, after the 15-16 season he will be 10 year veteran, allowing him to sign for the highest max possible. Instead of signing for 30% of the 67.1 million dollar cap this summer, he could sign for 35% of the 89 million dollar cap next summer. I believe Aldridge will only commit to a 1 year deal this summer so he can make a lot more next. Obviously he has to say in Portland to make the absolute most, but the Spurs could pay him this summer and next summer too. He could sign a 1 year 18.5 million dollar contract with San Antonio this summer, then a 4 year max next summer.

What's most scary is that the Spurs really can win the NBA Championship again this season and they could walk into next season with a starting lineup of

Parker
Mills
Leonard
Aldridge
Duncan

And with Manu and Splitter coming off the bench that would make the Spurs that much more potent. This team has been crazy good for 18 years and a trio of Leonard Aldridge and Parker could make them crazy good for at least another 5. Not saying this is going to happen but would anyone really be that shocked it did? Will this team ever be bad again???

Discuss

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25162933/report-spurs-to-pursue-lamarcus-aldridge-after-giving-kawhi-leonard-max-contract
http://www.businessinsider.com/lamarcus-aldridge-free-agent-2015-4

SPURSFAN1
04-25-2015, 05:54 PM
We need green more than mills. I like LA though. Only reason he stays in a blazer uniform is for money. We actually have cap space for once. This a superstars player wet dream. The pieces are there. Just insert yourself and enjoy the ride. And we have a coach that will save your legs for the playoffs and the best tactician in the league. He is already in his prime. Don't waste it like many other players.

Muttman73
04-25-2015, 05:59 PM
This would be sweet

Clippersfan86
04-25-2015, 06:01 PM
God, when will the Spurs go away lol? They are like a never ending nightmare. At least the Lakers infighting broke them up after a few dominant seasons. Kawhi/LA will be as good as just about any 1-2 punch in the NBA and very balanced offense/defense. Then we all know the Spurs will do a great job finding underrated role players to fill the team in.

kobe4thewinbang
04-25-2015, 06:07 PM
If they somehow acquire him, Spurs will still be contenders after Duncan hands over the reigns so to speak and Ginobili retires. Who know what will happen--Duncan is an ageless warrior but may want to call it quits after this season. They had the perfect revenge on Miami last time around, yet he still wasn't ready to retire. He is still a clutch player...Ginobili is even more of a question mark, unless I'm way out of date on rumors and both are likely to retire.

Anyway...acquiring Aldridge would be awesome. Him, Kawhi and Parker would be a good core moving forward. Trouble is paying the bench and with Spurs having a good bench is key to success. Aldrige has been great in Portland but Blazers keep spinning wheels while he's dropping 50 on Dwight and whatnot. His defense would be lesser than Duncan, but Kawhi will hopefully make up for it.

It would be a great move. But like the article says, he'd be contradicting his loyalty to Blazers.

So, like you said...

Parker (locked in on new deal, which I think is a bit long year-wise and bit too pricey if his health gets worse)
Ginobili (?)
Kawhi (max deal)
LMA
Duncan (?)

They'll probably have to let Green go, and he's not worth overpaying for. A good shooter but also hot/cold. I'm sure there are more Patty Mills-z out there.

TylerSL
04-25-2015, 06:22 PM
If they somehow acquire him, Spurs will still be contenders after Duncan hands over the reigns so to speak and Ginobili retires. Who know what will happen--Duncan is an ageless warrior but may want to call it quits after this season. They had the perfect revenge on Miami last time around, yet he still wasn't ready to retire. He is still a clutch player...Ginobili is even more of a question mark, unless I'm way out of date on rumors and both are likely to retire.

Anyway...acquiring Aldridge would be awesome. Him, Kawhi and Parker would be a good core moving forward. Trouble is paying the bench and with Spurs having a good bench is key to success. Aldrige has been great in Portland but Blazers keep spinning wheels while he's dropping 50 on Dwight and whatnot. His defense would be lesser than Duncan, but Kawhi will hopefully make up for it.

It would be a great move. But like the article says, he'd be contradicting his loyalty to Blazers.

So, like you said...

Parker (locked in on new deal, which I think is a bit long year-wise and bit too pricey if his health gets worse)
Ginobili (?)
Kawhi (max deal)
LMA
Duncan (?)

They'll probably have to let Green go, and he's not worth overpaying for. A good shooter but also hot/cold. I'm sure there are more Patty Mills-z out there.

Under my scenario Danny Green would walk, they would dump Diaw, and Duncan and Manu would come back at 5 million each. So their salaries next year would be

Parker-13.4 million
Mills-3.2 million
Leonard-16 million
Aldridge-18.5 million
Duncan-5 million
Manu-5 million
Splitter-8.5 million
Kyle Anderson-1.1 million

They would have to fill out the rest of their team through exceptions, veteran minimum's, and the draft. With that the Spurs could easily find 2 more coach-able players that could thrive in their rotation.

SPURSFAN1
04-25-2015, 06:33 PM
I'd probably drop splitter and keep Green in your scenario. The cap is also raising too. I don't mind going into the tax 1 year to keep some players.

TylerSL
04-25-2015, 06:38 PM
I'd probably drop splitter and keep Green in your scenario. The cap is also raising too. I don't mind going into the tax 1 year to keep some players.

That would be insane lol. Who knows, I'm just not sure what kind of offers Green's going to get on the market. If possible they should keep Green. That's scary lol

kdspurman
04-25-2015, 06:43 PM

If the opportunity presents itself, it would be hard to think Holt doesn't go into the tax for a year. especially after the way the team has been playing the last couple years.

Seems like an easy decision with the new cap the following year

CityofChaos
04-26-2015, 04:16 AM
The only thing I worry about regarding Aldridge is his defensive ability and his tendency to take bad shots and settle for the isolation post ups considering the Spurs emphasize defense and ball movement.

KG21
04-26-2015, 05:05 AM
The Spurs will have more than 37 million in space this summer and a Kawhi Leonard max would be 5 years 90 million and would start at 16 million next year. That would leave them with 21 million left but unless one or both of Duncan and Manu retire, I'm almost certain they would have to bring them back before they could try to sign a max or near max level player. I also don't believe they will be able to retain Danny Green, somebody is going to overpay for him in free agency. Because of this, I could see San Antonio just renouncing his bird rights.

Maybe the Spurs could move Splitter (8.5 million) or Diaw (7.5 million) to create more space. If the Spurs could move Diaw that would give them 28.5 million in cap after a Leonard max and letting Green walk. I believe Duncan and Manu will both retire after next year so I see them both coming back one more year. To allow San Antonio to try to bring in a max level player they would both have to come back on even much cheaper deals than they are currently making. I can see 1 year 5 million contracts for both of them.

That would give San Antonio around 18.5 million but I could see a scenario where Aldridge only signs a 1 year deal. If Aldridge waits until the summer of 2016 to sign a huge contract he could get a lot more money, and not just because of the cap increases. This is Aldridge's 9th NBA season, after the 15-16 season he will be 10 year veteran, allowing him to sign for the highest max possible. Instead of signing for 30% of the 67.1 million dollar cap this summer, he could sign for 35% of the 89 million dollar cap next summer. I believe Aldridge will only commit to a 1 year deal this summer so he can make a lot more next. Obviously he has to say in Portland to make the absolute most, but the Spurs could pay him this summer and next summer too. He could sign a 1 year 18.5 million dollar contract with San Antonio this summer, then a 4 year max next summer.

What's most scary is that the Spurs really can win the NBA Championship again this season and they could walk into next season with a starting lineup of

Parker
Mills
Leonard
Aldridge
Duncan

And with Manu and Splitter coming off the bench that would make the Spurs that much more potent. This team has been crazy good for 18 years and a trio of Leonard Aldridge and Parker could make them crazy good for at least another 5. Not saying this is going to happen but would anyone really be that shocked it did? Will this team ever be bad again???

Discuss

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25162933/report-spurs-to-pursue-lamarcus-aldridge-after-giving-kawhi-leonard-max-contract
http://www.businessinsider.com/lamarcus-aldridge-free-agent-2015-4

No way they move Diaw, dude is basically a play maker for the spurs, he can make shots, defend and like i say make plays. Green would be the most logical choice due to having Patty.

GiantsSwaGG
04-26-2015, 09:29 AM
He would be dumb not to go to SA

JasonJohnHorn
04-26-2015, 09:39 AM
This makes no sense to me. The Spurs should be pushing to get Gasol. His style of play is perfect for SAS. LMA's is perfect for a playoff team that isn't going to be contending.

nycericanguy
04-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Under my scenario Danny Green would walk, they would dump Diaw, and Duncan and Manu would come back at 5 million each. So their salaries next year would be

Parker-13.4 million
Mills-3.2 million
Leonard-16 million
Aldridge-18.5 million
Duncan-5 million
Manu-5 million
Splitter-8.5 million
Kyle Anderson-1.1 million

They would have to fill out the rest of their team through exceptions, veteran minimum's, and the draft. With that the Spurs could easily find 2 more coach-able players that could thrive in their rotation.

Khawi's cap hold is only $7m... they can go over the cap to resign him as long a they don't renounce that $7m cap hold.

I would be shocked if Duncan took $5m also

nycericanguy
04-26-2015, 10:03 AM
This makes no sense to me. The Spurs should be pushing to get Gasol. His style of play is perfect for SAS. LMA's is perfect for a playoff team that isn't going to be contending.

well maybe they know Marc isn't leaving... and he doesn't have any Texas ties...

ewing
04-26-2015, 10:11 AM

whats does this mean? That don't like him :confused:

Jarvo
04-26-2015, 10:43 AM
Gasol would be a damn good fit for us, But knowing The Grizz is going to the 2nd round I don't see him leaving. LMA can learn from Duncan and Pop to be a more complete player and will have a vet in Parker to make him look better and set him up for better shots.

YAALREADYKNO
04-26-2015, 11:04 AM
Man Aldridge to the Spurs? That would be beast AF

NYSpirit1
04-26-2015, 12:25 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2015/04/trail_blazers_owner_paul_allen_and_a_lonely_saturd .html

Doesn't sound like a man who is staying at ALL.

On a side note, I don't see him going to the Spurs. No FA has ever signed there, they've always opted for the bigger market. And plus, they won't have cap either. They have $33 million in committed salary right now and will have cap holds from Danny Green, Duncan, Ginobili and Belinelli, which will probably total another $25 million. They have to renounce rights to all of them to even have the cap to sign him. If Duncan returns, they little percent chance at Aldridge. And I don't see why Duncan would retire, he's still playing at a really high level and they're still really good.

Yes SA has such a winning organization, but I don't know if the championships continue without Duncan/Ginobili there.

Can you really imagine Kawhi Leonard making a FA pitch? He's the last player on Earth I can imagine doing that with his personality. His interviews last year after the Finals were so awkward.

nycericanguy
04-26-2015, 12:31 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2015/04/trail_blazers_owner_paul_allen_and_a_lonely_saturd .html

On a side note, I don't see him going to the Spurs. No FA has ever signed there, they've always opted for the bigger market. And plus, they won't have cap either. They have $33 million in committed salary right now and will have cap holds from Danny Green, Duncan, Ginobili and Belinelli, which will probably total another $25 million. They have to renounce rights to all of them to even have the cap to sign him. If Duncan returns, they little percent chance at Aldridge. And I don't see why Duncan would retire, he's still playing at a really high level and they're still really good.

Yes SA has such a winning organization, but I don't know if the championships continue without Duncan/Ginobili there.

Can you really imagine Kawhi Leonard making a FA pitch? He's the last player on Earth I can imagine doing that with his personality. His interviews last year after the Finals were so awkward.

They could EASILY make room for LMA

Splitter could be traded... or Green could leave... lots of options.

They probably can't bring EVERYONE back and sign LMA... but letting go one guy could get them the necessary cap space.

NYSpirit1
04-26-2015, 12:33 PM
We need green more than mills. I like LA though. Only reason he stays in a blazer uniform is for money. We actually have cap space for once. This a superstars player wet dream. The pieces are there. Just insert yourself and enjoy the ride. And we have a coach that will save your legs for the playoffs and the best tactician in the league. He is already in his prime. Don't waste it like many other players.

Lol a superstars wet dream? Really? Has any superstar in this league ever wanted to go to a market like San Antonio? No.

Let's look at track records.

Players that were superstars in 2010-2011: LeBron & Bosh to Miami, Amare to NY, Deron to BKN, Melo to NY, Boozer (fringe star) to CHI

Players that were superstars from 2011-on: CP3 to LAC, Dwight to LA then HOU, Harden in HOU, Rondo to DAL, Pau to CHI (directly chose an injured Rose and CHI over OKC, Durant, Westbrook), Dragic (fringe star) to MIA

In all of these scenarios, none of these players wanted to go to small markets. SA was an option for many of them, but didn't even consider it. They all had lists and forced trades or signed with big market, glitzy cities. LA, NY, CHI, DAL, HOU, BKN.

Don't fool yourself and think a superstar will end up in SA. Jason Kidd didn't even choose to go there in Duncan's prime in 2003 and chose to stay in the NYC Metro area.

And if you're going to give a rebuttal to this, please don't use LeBron back to his hometown, CLE as an example. That's weak.

NYSpirit1
04-26-2015, 12:35 PM
They could EASILY make room for LMA

Splitter could be traded... or Green could leave... lots of options.

They probably can't bring EVERYONE back and sign LMA... but letting go one guy could get them the necessary cap space.

He won't sign there. Read my last post. He'll be a Laker or Knick before he signs there. It's just the way it is, unless you are a player like Leonard who is so shy and such an introvert, players love the ability to be able to get major endorsements, get recognition.

For example, Aldridge will become a huge star in NYC, more than he's ever been in Portland. I actually have never seen Aldridge on a commercial. Look at Melo's brand in NYC. It's exploded. He had little to no brand in Denver.

That's what these big cities bring.

nycericanguy
04-26-2015, 12:37 PM
He won't sign there. Read my last post. He'll be a Laker or Knick before he signs there. It's just the way it is, unless you are a player like Leonard who is so shy and such an introvert, players love the ability to be able to get major endorsements, get recognition.

For example, Aldridge will become a huge star in NYC, more than he's ever been in Portland. I actually have never seen Aldridge on a commercial. Look at Melo's brand in NYC. It's exploded. He had little to no brand in Denver.

well then ok... thanks for clearing that up! :rolleyes:

NYSpirit1
04-26-2015, 12:41 PM
well then ok... thanks for clearing that up! :rolleyes:

Nice job reading a sentence and then not reading the entire point.

The truth is, Duncan is one of the greatest players ever. But he does NOT get the recognition a Jordan, a Bird, a Magic, a Kobe, a Shaq got. The publicity, the glamor. He's always flown under the radar. How does a guy with 5 titles fly under the radar?

Don't think this isn't important to players. They don't want to be under the radar, they want to be the spotlight. Barkley, who won no titles, arguably was way more famous in PHI and HOU than Duncan ever was here. But Duncan and Leonard are similar.

Listen, winning is important. Very important. But don't dismiss all the other factors in play here, publicity, fame, endorsements, big city living -- all these MATTER to NBA players.

nycericanguy
04-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Listen not everyone is interesting in being in a huge market or "big city living" and "building their brand"... if that was the case NY would be signing everyone... and we know that hasn't happened. I know you want to spin everything into PRO NY but be realistic.

LMA seems like a low key Texan kind of guy...not to mention taxes in Texas are MUCH lower than NY..

and this isn't 1995, with the internet and the NBA being so globally popular, you can be a star anywhere you play... maybe you havent seen LMA in commercials because he doesn't want to be in them!

GiantsSwaGG
04-26-2015, 12:58 PM

1. Marc isn't leaving
2. LA fits perfectly as well.

You can't go wrong with both but LA imo would be the better signing!

kdspurman
04-26-2015, 01:07 PM

Whos to say he wants that.. Not to mention he has serious ties to Texas. And all promos and endorsements for the Blazers, its Lillard, not Aldridge. Maybe he doesn't want that stuff either.

Only LA knows what he wants. No one here does, all we can do is speculate and use the info/reports available

Jarvo
04-26-2015, 01:18 PM

I'm thinking Pop would do all that, The history of The Spurs speaks for itself.

RLundi
04-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Nice job reading a sentence and then not reading the entire point.

The truth is, Duncan is one of the greatest players ever. But he does NOT get the recognition a Jordan, a Bird, a Magic, a Kobe, a Shaq got. The publicity, the glamor. He's always flown under the radar. How does a guy with 5 titles fly under the radar?

Don't think this isn't important to players. They don't want to be under the radar, they want to be the spotlight. Barkley, who won no titles, arguably was way more famous in PHI and HOU than Duncan ever was here. But Duncan and Leonard are similar.

Listen, winning is important. Very important. But don't dismiss all the other factors in play here, publicity, fame, endorsements, big city living -- all these MATTER to NBA players.

What are you even talking about? Maybe Duncan flies under the radar because he WANTS to. He's a low-key guy like Leonard. If he wanted the ads and commercials and such, he'd get them. If he was flashier or more expressive or outwardly fun or entertaining, like Shaq for example, he'd be a superstar. But that's just not his personality.

And you think ALL players want to play in big markets? I think you think all players are like Melo. That's not true at all. Lots of FA's spurn LA and NY every single year. A winning culture matters. Plus, like nycerican said, you can get endorsements anywhere. It just depends on if the companies want the player and if the player wants the endorsement. Aldridge is assertively not going to choose New York or Los Angeles, two franchise that currently are in much worse situations than his current team and a team like the Spurs.

NYSpirit1
04-26-2015, 01:33 PM
Listen not everyone is interesting in being in a huge market or "big city living" and "building their brand"... if that was the case NY would be signing everyone... and we know that hasn't happened. I know you want to spin everything into PRO NY but be realistic.

LMA seems like a low key Texan kind of guy...not to mention taxes in Texas are MUCH lower than NY..

and this isn't 1995, with the internet and the NBA being so globally popular, you can be a star anywhere you play... maybe you havent seen LMA in commercials because he doesn't want to be in them!

I'm not spinning it into pro NY. The Knicks never had the cap room to sign any of those guys or the team to surround them with. Obviously having a decent team matters a lot. That's just bad Knicks management.

Doesn't mean guys didn't want to come here. CP3 would be a Knick if they had cap in 2011-2012. Fact. They didn't and he was traded to LA.

Most players are interested in brand, big cities. Did you see that list? What guy went to a small market that changed teams recently?

You're telling me Kobe would've had the same effect in SA? Or Jordan wouldve in Milwaukee? C'mon get real.

This is just history. Kareem left Milwaukee in the 70s for Los Angeles. And Milwaukee had an amazing team at the time.

raiderposting
04-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Patty mills>Danny Green

NYSpirit1
04-26-2015, 01:39 PM
What are you even talking about? Maybe Duncan flies under the radar because he WANTS to. He's a low-key guy like Leonard. If he wanted the ads and commercials and such, he'd get them. If he was flashier or more expressive or outwardly fun or entertaining, like Shaq for example, he'd be a superstar. But that's just not his personality.

And you think ALL players want to play in big markets? I think you think all players are like Melo. That's not true at all. Lots of FA's spurn LA and NY every single year. A winning culture matters. Plus, like nycerican said, you can get endorsements anywhere. It just depends on if the companies want the player and if the player wants the endorsement. Aldridge is assertively not going to choose New York or Los Angeles, two franchise that currently are in much worse situations than his current team and a team like the Spurs.

I don't think any player WANTS to fly under the radar. It's just a natural thing. Duncan has no control over if SA gets publicity or not. They're almost never talked about on SportsCenter. People would rather talk about how bad the Knicks are rather than how good the Spurs are. It's just a more riveting, interesting story.

Most players want to play in big markets:

Players that were superstars in 2010-2011: LeBron & Bosh to Miami, Amare to NY, Deron to BKN, Melo to NY, Boozer (fringe star) to CHI

Players that were superstars from 2011-on: CP3 to LAC, Dwight to LA then HOU, Harden in HOU, Rondo to DAL, Pau to CHI (directly chose an injured Rose and CHI over OKC, Durant, Westbrook), Dragic (fringe star) to MIA

But you're right, a winning culture matters. A player isn't going to go to a crappy team with no chance at a title. NY never had the cap to acquire guys. Now they do. Let's see what happens.

Is Aldridge going to choose playing in glitzy NYC, with a fellow star in Melo, under the tutelage of Phil in the weak East over going to SA, in a championship organization, but with little publicity or recognition? Time will tell.

I'd put all my money on a player rather being in NY, LA, CHI in less of a winning situation, but STILL the possibility of winning and going far over SA with a certainty of winning.

NYSpirit1
04-26-2015, 01:45 PM
Whos to say he wants that.. Not to mention he has serious ties to Texas. And all promos and endorsements for the Blazers, its Lillard, not Aldridge. Maybe he doesn't want that stuff either.

Only LA knows what he wants. No one here does, all we can do is speculate and use the info/reports available

He has serious ties to Dallas, not San Antonio.

LaMarcus is December: “Of course, every time I’m here, on Twitter, Instagram, everywhere, I think that fans that are here are very loyal and they definitely talk to me about trying to come here,” Aldridge said before facing the Knicks on Sunday at the Garden.

LaMarcus in February at AS break: He was asked about the prospect of being in New York generally, saying, “It’s one of the cities that most guys look forward to coming to. Always a lot going on, fashion capital, so I think guys like coming here.”

He was asked about the triangle offense. “I’m a post player,” he said. “So I don’t mind it. I feel like I could play in it and I could do well in (the triangle).”

He was asked about Phil Jackson’s struggles in his first year running the Knicks, and spoke highly of the 11-time champ/guru: “I don’t think we are really overanalyzing that. I think we are in the season, and you’re only focusing on your team and what’s going on with them. I think we all understand how great he is and how he understands the basketball game to another level, so I don’t think anyone’s doubting him. He’s been spoken of so highly by Kobe that I don’t think he’s going to fail. When you’re rebuilding — I went through it two times in a row. It just takes time.”

NYSpirit1
04-26-2015, 01:49 PM
I don't even know why this is a topic of discussion. I think the idea of SA pushing hard for Aldridge is far fetched.

Duncan, Ginobili, Bellinelli, Baynes, Cory Joseph, Leonard and Danny Green are FA. Say they make a deep playoff run and Duncan/Ginobili don't retire. The Spurs are going to dismantle their core to make a max contract offer to Aldridge, who probably won't fit as well as Duncan does even at 39?

That seems very un-Spur like.

Let's play this scenario out. Cap is $68 mil. Spurs have $33 committed, leaving $25 mil in cap room, before signing all those guys. They can go over the cap to sign Leonard. Take that out.

They go into FA, get the commitment from Leonard, don't sign him right away to go after Aldridge. Make the max offer to Aldridge, sign him and now have $51 mil in cap. You're telling me they're going to get Duncan, Ginobili, Bellinelli, Baynes, Joseph and Green for under $17 mil? Okayyyy...

Duncan will want at least $8-10 mil, Green $8 mil, Ginobili $5-7 mil. Re-signing Baynes, Joseph and Bellinelli is absolutely isn't happening then. It would never work.

RLundi
04-26-2015, 01:51 PM
I don't think any player WANTS to fly under the radar. It's just a natural thing. Duncan has no control over if SA gets publicity or not. They're almost never talked about on SportsCenter. People would rather talk about how bad the Knicks are rather than how good the Spurs are. It's just a more riveting, interesting story.

But you're right, a winning culture matters. A player isn't going to go to a crappy team with no chance at a title. NY never had the cap to acquire guys. Now they do. Let's see what happens.

Is Aldridge going to choose playing in glitzy NYC, with a fellow star in Melo, under the tutelage of Phil in the weak East over going to SA, in a championship organization, but with little publicity or recognition? Time will tell.

I'd put all my money on a player rather being in NY, LA, CHI in less of a winning situation, but STILL the possibility of winning and going far over SA with a certainty of winning.

Some players DO want to fly under the radar. Many players simply do not appreciate publicity. Duncan seems like one of those players. If Duncan was a free agent in his heyday and the Knicks and Lakers came calling, do you think he'd leave the Spurs? Leonard is set to be a free agent this summer. Do you think he'll bolt for LA or Miami or New York?

Some players love the spotlight: Melo, LeBron, Kobe, etc, but not every player is like that. You conveniently left out Nowitzki during that year LeBron went to Miami. He could've signed with the Heat with LeBron and Wade but he chose to stay in Dallas. You brought up Boozer; he signed with Utah before signing his next contract with the Bulls. It happens all the time: players will play where they feel comfortable with the culture of the team and where the money is. You're putting every player in an umbrella and pigeon-holing them. Truth is, NY, LA and Miami aren't everything to everyone.

Verbal Christ
04-26-2015, 01:54 PM
Why not just tank and nab another generational player and continue to rule for another 20 years?

SPURSFAN1
04-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Some players DO want to fly under the radar. Many players simply do not appreciate publicity. Duncan seems like one of those players. If Duncan was a free agent in his heyday and the Knicks and Lakers came calling, do you think he'd leave the Spurs? Leonard is set to be a free agent this summer. Do you think he'll bolt for LA or Miami or New York?

Some players love the spotlight: Melo, LeBron, Kobe, etc, but not every player is like that. You conveniently left out Nowitzki during that year LeBron went to Miami. He could've signed with the Heat with LeBron and Wade but he chose to stay in Dallas. You brought up Boozer; he signed with Utah before signing his next contract with the Bulls. It happens all the time: players will play where they feel comfortable with the culture of the team and where the money is. You're putting every player in an umbrella and pigeon-holing them. Truth is, NY, LA and Miami aren't everything to everyone.

Kawhi is restricted but even then he'd find it hard to leave a winning culture like SA.

NYSpirit1
04-26-2015, 02:00 PM

Didn't I say that? Some players don't want the publicity? They have to have the personality. Duncan has the personality. But you're not taking the context of FA into consideration here. Most players won't reach FA until they've been in the league for 7, 8 years. You obviously don't understand that if you say Leonard is set to be a FA, will he sign with those teams? He's restricted. Young, max, talented FAs never reach free agency because their current team matches ever offer. They go through two contracts before getting to FA. It's the way the CBA is set up.

I didn't leave out Nowitzki, he was already in a big city in Dallas and had been there for years. Why would he leave? Yes, Boozer signed with Utah back in 05, but he wasn't an All-Star then, he was just looking for money. He was when he went to Chicago.

You can single out three cities, but that wasn't my point. There's probably 10-12 really appealing cities in the NBA and 18-20 that aren't. New York, Los Angeles (Clips and Lakers), Houston, Brooklyn, Dallas, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Golden State. All things considered, if these teams have a nice core, maybe a star to play with, they're going to get the player over a small market team.

Let's go back in history and play the percentage game of star players changing teams. What percent went to these 12 teams and what percent went to the rest?

SPURSFAN1
04-26-2015, 02:04 PM
The NY homer telling us why NY is the best spot.

NYSpirit1
04-26-2015, 02:10 PM
1970s: Kareem leaves MIL for LA
1982: Bernard King traded to NY
1995: Drexler traded from POR to HOU
1995: Rodman signs with CHI
1995: Alonzo Mourning traded to MIA after rejecting contract extension
1996: Tim Hardaway traded to MIA
1996: Shaq signed with LA, Kobe forced trade to LA
1996: Barkley traded from PHX to HOU
2001: McGrady and Grant Hill leave TOR and DET for Disney World
2004: Carter traded to BKN/NJ
2005: Webber traded to PHI
2006: Ben Wallace signs with CHI, leaving DET
2007: Allen and Garnett traded to BOS
2007: Pau traded to LA from MEM
2010: LeBron and Bosh sign with Miami
2010: Amare signs in NY
2010: Boozer signs in CHI
2011: Deron traded to BKN
2011: Melo traded to NY
2011: CP3 traded to LAL first, then LAC
2012: Dwight traded to LA, signs with HOU in 2013
2014: Pau signs with CHI
2014: Rondo traded to DAL
2015: Dragic forces trades to MIA

C'mon people. Look at the facts. Why do you think small market owners forced a huge lockout in 2011? It's because of this. Players signing in big cities, forcing trades to big cities. There's really no argument here. MOST players want to play in glamorous cities. F-A-C-T.

When Melo, Amare, LeBron, Bosh, Dwight all went on FA tours, they only visited big market teams. Go look back.

Please try to compile a list of players signing or forcing their way to places like San Antonio. It's just not desirable.

kdspurman
04-26-2015, 02:14 PM

If Duncan wanted the publicity, he would have had it. Some guys are like that, not everyone is an attention whore.

kdspurman
04-26-2015, 02:15 PM
Why not just tank and nab another generational player and continue to rule for another 20 years?

There won't ever be another Tim Duncan

GiantsSwaGG
04-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Paul George
Kawahi Lenard
David West
Roy Hibbert

Imagine that line up in Indy

kdspurman
04-26-2015, 02:19 PM
He has serious ties to Dallas, not San Antonio.

LaMarcus is December: “Of course, every time I’m here, on Twitter, Instagram, everywhere, I think that fans that are here are very loyal and they definitely talk to me about trying to come here,” Aldridge said before facing the Knicks on Sunday at the Garden.

LaMarcus in February at AS break: He was asked about the prospect of being in New York generally, saying, “It’s one of the cities that most guys look forward to coming to. Always a lot going on, fashion capital, so I think guys like coming here.”

He was asked about the triangle offense. “I’m a post player,” he said. “So I don’t mind it. I feel like I could play in it and I could do well in (the triangle).”

He was asked about Phil Jackson’s struggles in his first year running the Knicks, and spoke highly of the 11-time champ/guru: “I don’t think we are really overanalyzing that. I think we are in the season, and you’re only focusing on your team and what’s going on with them. I think we all understand how great he is and how he understands the basketball game to another level, so I don’t think anyone’s doubting him. He’s been spoken of so highly by Kobe that I don’t think he’s going to fail. When you’re rebuilding — I went through it two times in a row. It just takes time.”

San Antonio is much closer to Dallas than NY/LA right? I think Dallas is an option as well, but that would require Dirk coming off the bench, so that's another challenge.

And quoting what players say is useless IMO. Even Manu and Parker made comments about playing in NY lol. Guys will say stuff when asked about it. And guys will say they're 150% loyal and leave

NYSpirit1
04-26-2015, 02:31 PM
San Antonio is much closer to Dallas than NY/LA right? I think Dallas is an option as well, but that would require Dirk coming off the bench, so that's another challenge.

And quoting what players say is useless IMO. Even Manu and Parker made comments about playing in NY lol. Guys will say stuff when asked about it. And guys will say they're 150% loyal and leave

What's more appealing to a player:

Scenario #1: Go to NY, win a title in NY, become a legend in that city forever, get all the press, all the glory, all the notoriety and be the first to do it since 1973

Scenario #2: Go to SA, play with or replace Duncan, win a title, number #6 or #7 in the past 18 years, no one really cares

Honestly, which scenario would a player rather have?

It's like saying winning a World Series with the Cardinals is a better situation than the 2004 Red Sox team which will go down in history as one of the most famous, glorified teams ever.

kdspurman
04-26-2015, 02:40 PM
What's more appealing to a player:

Scenario #1: Go to NY, win a title in NY, become a legend in that city forever, get all the press, all the glory, all the notoriety and be the first to do it since 1973

Scenario #2: Go to SA, play with or replace Duncan, win a title, number #6 or #7 in the past 18 years, no one really cares

Honestly, which scenario would a player rather have?

It's like saying winning a World Series with the Cardinals is a better situation than the 2004 Red Sox team which will go down in history as one of the most famous, glorified teams ever.

It depends on the player. You seem to think there's this "1 size fits all" method for free agent stars. It just doens't work that way.

Melo working his way to NYC made sense. Aldridge? Not so much. But neither of us know, so I guess we'll see

Pakman
04-26-2015, 02:47 PM
I agree with nyspirit. Aldridge goes to a big market before he goes to the spurs. No matter the "perfect fit" u guys say

NYSpirit1
04-26-2015, 02:49 PM
It depends on the player. You seem to think there's this "1 size fits all" method for free agent stars. It just doens't work that way.

Melo working his way to NYC made sense. Aldridge? Not so much. But neither of us know, so I guess we'll see

Did you bother to read the list of players I put since 1970s that changed teams? It works that way most of the time.

Not 100% of the time, but most. All things considered, someone in acting, music, sports -- KNOWS to really make it big, you do it big in some of those cities.

But looking at it in context, like I said, players have to play 7, 8 years in one place, sometimes longer. A poor kid from a rural area isn't going to turn down a max contract from a small market team when the opportunity comes up. He's not going to take a qualifying offer for a year, just to be unrestricted and go to NY or LA.

When they have the OPPORTUNITY and the timing is right, they leave most of the time. But players like Westbrook, Irving, Love (when in MIN), Durant haven't had the opportunity to leave yet.

C'mon man, you think Irving would rather be a star in CLE or NY? This is just common sense.

If there was no cap and restricted free agency, are you honestly trying to tell me the league wouldn't blow up and all the stars wouldn't migrate to those teams?

Instead of a $90 mil payroll, NY would have a $200 million dollar payroll. Look at baseball, as much as I hate the Yankees, when a player has the opportunity to go to them or the Red Sox for the same money as some other average team, they do it.

SPURSFAN1
04-26-2015, 02:51 PM
I agree with nyspirit. Aldridge goes to a big market before he goes to the spurs. No matter the "perfect fit" u guys say

I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise because he is SO ****ing wrong. lol. Like handpalm wrong.

Scoots
04-26-2015, 03:09 PM
I think that if Timmy told LA that LA would get to own his sweet spots and that Timmy was looking to take a lesser role LA would be more willing to come. Right now their games overlap a little much for LA to be too excited I think.

IBleedPurple
04-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Look at Melo's brand in NYC. It's exploded. He had little to no brand in Denver.

That's what these big cities bring.I don't think I'd call $6 million in endorsements in 2010 while in Denver vs $8 million last year in NYC "exploding". You just see a few more billboards where you live.

RLundi
04-26-2015, 03:22 PM
Didn't I say that? Some players don't want the publicity? They have to have the personality. Duncan has the personality. But you're not taking the context of FA into consideration here. Most players won't reach FA until they've been in the league for 7, 8 years. You obviously don't understand that if you say Leonard is set to be a FA, will he sign with those teams? He's restricted. Young, max, talented FAs never reach free agency because their current team matches ever offer. They go through two contracts before getting to FA. It's the way the CBA is set up.

I didn't leave out Nowitzki, he was already in a big city in Dallas and had been there for years. Why would he leave? Yes, Boozer signed with Utah back in 05, but he wasn't an All-Star then, he was just looking for money. He was when he went to Chicago.

You can single out three cities, but that wasn't my point. There's probably 10-12 really appealing cities in the NBA and 18-20 that aren't. New York, Los Angeles (Clips and Lakers), Houston, Brooklyn, Dallas, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Golden State. All things considered, if these teams have a nice core, maybe a star to play with, they're going to get the player over a small market team.

Let's go back in history and play the percentage game of star players changing teams. What percent went to these 12 teams and what percent went to the rest?

I know how the CBA is set up. I hadn't realized Leonard wasn't unrestricted.

Go ahead and do the legwork for your last little question. I think you'll find the results surprising.

Mr.B
04-26-2015, 03:51 PM

Spurs wouldn't be able to afford Green after maxing out both Kawhi and Aldridge and filling out the rest of their roster.

Mr.B
04-26-2015, 03:55 PM
That would be insane lol. Who knows, I'm just not sure what kind of offers Green's going to get on the market. If possible they should keep Green. That's scary lol

I think the Mavs will be players for Green's services. They are likely to let Monta walk and Green is perfect type of player to help fix their perimeter defense.