PDA

View Full Version : The State Of Rondo

Stunner
04-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Sadly I don't see a " playoff team " that would pay Rondo to replace their current PG

I really hope the Lakers don't go after him and mess up Clarkson's growth not to mention he's already better .

Honestly the only team I could see Rondo start on are the 76ers and that's if they don't get Russell or Mudiay . Knicks could be a possibility as well if they no longer run the Triangle because he can't shoot .

I think Rondo is basically a high profile back up pg right now and shouldn't get anywhere near 8 million annually .

Hawkeye15
04-22-2015, 10:19 AM
I mean, I have been hard on Rondo forever, I always thought he was a very overrated player in Boston, and I would never have had him as my lead guard on a team by choice.

As I stated, I always wanted to see what he looked like with his HOF offensive and defensive talent around him peeled away. We are seeing it. He is a below average PG.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-22-2015, 10:26 AM
He's breaking down badly. Lost his athletic ability and shows it now on defense. He cant shoot so he's basically worthless. Vet minimum tops. But most teams rather give young players a chance instead.

Thumper 88
04-22-2015, 10:27 AM
Source close to Rondo said it's either him or Rick. If they choose Rick then he's going to the Lakers.

As a Mavs fan I say "FOH Rondo" no way ever never do you let Rick go.

Thumper 88
04-22-2015, 10:28 AM
Honestly I would give him one more chance and if he doesn't give his all then I would bench him for the playoffs

chi-townlove1
04-22-2015, 10:28 AM
Damn you guys are harsh lol I love rondo. He's struggling, but I still don't take 12 other guys at that position over him.

Thumper 88
04-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Here's the link

Report: Rajon Rondo is done in Dallas if Rick Carlisle remains coach http://t.co/qWoCbKNWPw http://t.co/uJN5Q8XE58

gatkins11
04-22-2015, 10:41 AM
Good riddance.

Hawkeye15
04-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Damn you guys are harsh lol I love rondo. He's struggling, but I still don't take 12 other guys at that position over him.

really? I would have taken 10 over him during his Boston chip days

jp611
04-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Does anyone remember the Rondo trade thread when the Mavs fans in this same thread were mad because people said this is exactly what would happen? :laugh2:

Thumper 88
04-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Does anyone remember the Rondo trade thread when the Mavs fans in this same thread were mad because people said this is exactly what would happen? :laugh2:

Yeah I remember. I've backed Rondo for sometime now. In all honesty he looked good when he showed up.

I can't back him anymore.

People said it wouldn't work with him and monta but I don't remember anyone saying he would give up which is why it isn't working.

KnicksorBust
04-22-2015, 10:54 AM
I love that the Mavs took the gamble on him to raise their ceiling but its fallen flat. It almost seems like wherever he goes it would be a bad fit.

xxplayerxx23

I'll take 15-20 pgs over him

SportsFanatic10

wow i think that's crazy! he's not that good at all man.

now that he's almost for sure done in dallas, i feel almost certain the lakers are going to make the mistake of signing him this offseason.

Vee-Rex
04-22-2015, 11:01 AM
In no particular order:

1. Jeff Teague
2. John Wall
3. Stephen Curry
4. Chris Paul
5. Damian Lillard
6. Kyrie Irving
7. Russell Westbrook
8. Mike Conley
9. Kyle Lowry
10. Brandon Knight
11. Reggie Jackson
12. Derrick Rose
13. Goran Dragic
14. Tony Parker
15. Ty Lawson

That's 15 I'd take over Rondo right now.

Then you got guys like Jrue Holiday and Marcus Smart and Deron Williams and Elfrid Payton and Isaiah Thomas who could arguably be of more value than Rondo at this point.

MrfadeawayJB
04-22-2015, 11:06 AM
I only see him getting 1 yr deals. To big of a risk

NYKnickFanatic
04-22-2015, 12:39 PM

Have you even been watching the series so far? Dude looks like he doesn't even want to play...

I wouldn't call it struggling.

Bostonjorge
04-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Rondo was still guarding Harden the best in game 1. In game 2 he just quit or was mad at something most likely the coach.

Shaq explained it the best. Rondo needs to run the offense and call the plays. He can't be looking at Jim carry to see what play is being called. Let rondo be free and see what you get.

NYKnickFanatic
04-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Rondo was still guarding Harden the best in game 1. In game 2 he just quit or was mad at something most likely the coach.

Shaq explained it the best. Rondo needs to run the offense and call the plays. He can't be looking at Jim carry to see what play is being called. Let rondo be free and see what you get.

http://www.awolfamongwolves.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/CarlisleCarrey.jpg

LakersIn5
04-22-2015, 02:00 PM
**** the haters i hope he proves the haters wrong ala josh smith

Hawkeye15
04-22-2015, 02:04 PM

I am praying the Lakers sign him long term

IversonIsKrazy
04-22-2015, 02:13 PM
I think Lakers are the only team that takes the gamble and throw a lot of $$ at him. Knicks would just be ridiculous if you want to run triangle lol.

GiantsSwaGG
04-22-2015, 02:13 PM

They will give him the full max and watch him and Kobe clash

GiantsSwaGG
04-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Rondo is either a laker or out of the league

Blitzace137
04-22-2015, 02:21 PM

Me too, can you imagine Rondo and Kobe butt heads lol

Chronz
04-22-2015, 03:10 PM

I think the "hate"/criticism against Rondo is more justifiable than Smooves. Smith was miscast as a SF in his ****** situation, Rondo is simply struggling at his natural position.

That said, I would love to see him and Kobe for the simple fact that I think Kobe needs someone to set him up at this stage in his career. If Kobe intends on sticking to iso and post ups tho, Rondo will definitely inhibit that. Hes inhibited the post game of every one hes ever played with. Its why Bostons offense could survive without him during the regular season, because they simply played more spread PnR through Pierce and posted up KG ALOT more. Actions they couldn't do as efficiently when Rondo played off the ball.

Chronz
04-22-2015, 03:12 PM

Kobe doesn't butt heads with like minded *** holes

ewing
04-22-2015, 03:13 PM

Josh Smith had a good game, he still sucks

KG2TB
04-22-2015, 03:16 PM
him or rick :laugh:

touch call rajon....keep a top 5 coach in the league or one of the worst starting PG's in the league. the suspense is killing me. what a clown.

ewing
I think the "hate"/criticism against Rondo is more justifiable than Smooves. Smith was miscast as a SF in his ****** situation, Rondo is simply struggling at his natural position.

That said, I would love to see him and Kobe for the simple fact that I think Kobe needs someone to set him up at this stage in his career. If Kobe intends on sticking to iso and post ups tho, Rondo will definitely inhibit that. Hes inhibited the post game of every one hes ever played with. Its why Bostons offense could survive without him during the regular season, because they simply played more spread PnR through Pierce and posted up KG ALOT more. Actions they couldn't do as efficiently when Rondo played off the ball.

Sorry, i am allowed to hate anyone that cant shoot 50% from the line but and goes around jacking threes. even last night he was 1 of 5.

cmellofan15
man i really hope the Mavs do the unexpected and get rid of Carlisle and by some miracle the nuggets get him.

bleedprple&gold
04-22-2015, 03:26 PM
him or rick :laugh:

touch call rajon....keep a top 5 coach in the league or one of the worst starting PG's in the league. the suspense is killing me. what a clown.

Yea it's laughable that Rondo would even think he would have the power to get them to get rid of the coach, especially with him playing like garbage. Just shut up and play (or dont) and wait for free agency and leave. No need to pull this him or me bs. Please please keep him away from the Lakers.

bleedprple&gold
04-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Rondo is either a laker or out of the league

I'm sure there are a number of teams that would be willing to give him the minimum as a backup, but would Rondo be willing to accept that role? We may see him playing in China next year.

TheNumber37
04-22-2015, 03:34 PM
I think Rondo is fine. He may not he a top 10 PG right now, but if he goes to a team where is the 4th best player that won't matter.

Chronz
04-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Sorry, i am allowed to hate anyone that cant shoot 50% from the line but and goes around jacking threes. even last night he was 1 of 5.

I took it more as him saying he could raise his level of play in a better situation. Rondo will never be a good player again but he can be a serviceable one in an absolutely perfect situation ala Smith.

bleedprple&gold
04-22-2015, 03:36 PM
I think Rondo is fine. He may not he a top 10 PG right now, but if he goes to a team where is the 4th best player that won't matter.

So basically he needs to go to a team like Philly or New York because he wouldn't be the 4th best player on any other teams.

Mr.B
04-22-2015, 04:15 PM
rcb05 (@rcb05)
4/22/15, 3:06 PM
Doctors were shocked to find that Rajon Rondo had sustained a back injury, as all previous evidence had led them to believe he had no spine.

For those who haven't heard yet Rondo officially ruled out for remainder of playoffs due to a "back injury".

HoodedSB
04-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Every time I hear "rondo" and "lakers" in the same sentence my blood boils. Seriously if they give him a contract I will lose my ****.

L8kers4life
04-22-2015, 04:22 PM

First off let me start by saying I absolutely would not want the Lakers to sign Rondo. But the fact that you guys think Rondo and Kobe would butt heads is pretty funny. Primarily because they are friends and are both like minded. They are both huge students of the game with very high basketball IQ's, they are both chippy, angry and do not pull punches with teammates no matter who their teammtes are (Garnett, Shaq, Pau, Pierce, Allen). Kobe wants winners and Rondo is proven when he is engaged and given the keys he can win.

But with all that being said, Rondo is not even better than Clarkson at this point. Unless the Lakers plan to go with a small line up of Rondo, Clarkson, Kobe, Randle and Draft pick Center or Brook Lopez or DJ, this just would not work, you can not stunt the growth of Clarkson at this point.

Thumper 88
04-22-2015, 04:27 PM
Rondo is in the playoffs and he's not engaged and that being on a contract year.

The dude just doesn't care obviously

Snakeyestx
04-22-2015, 05:11 PM
rcb05 (@rcb05)
Doctors were shocked to find that Rajon Rondo had sustained a back injury, as all previous evidence had led them to believe he had no spine.

For those who haven't heard yet Rondo officially ruled out for remainder of playoffs due to a "back injury".

I saw that story and my immediate reaction was "That's about as likely as me being a Chinese Jet Pilot for the Scandinavian Air Force." :D

This is Cuban giving Rondo a dignified exit so he can stop poisoning the roster with his s**tty attitude.

SF8
04-22-2015, 05:18 PM
Mavs fans, what's worse, Rondo trade/situation or Odom trade/situation?

I know Cuban recently said that the Odom trade is the biggest regret of his life (not letting Nash walk).

I wonder if he still feels the same way.

Thumper 88
04-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Rondo because he showed signs of being very good for us but then he literally gave up on the team in the playoffs

Chronz
04-22-2015, 05:26 PM
rcb05 (@rcb05)

Reminds me of when he got that "injury" to call out of the Olympics right before it came time to cut PG's

Mr.B
04-22-2015, 05:29 PM
Rondo because he showed signs of being very good for us but then he literally gave up on the team in the playoffs

I'd definitely say the Rondo trade was worse. At least we know that Odom was on drugs, what's Rondo's excuse for quitting?

Corey
04-22-2015, 05:44 PM
Wonder how many Celtic fans can see how awful he is now that it's for another team

Hawkeye15
04-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Wonder how many Celtic fans can see how awful he is now that it's for another team

while he is at a new level of awful, yeah, some of us have been saying it for a long time, how completely and totally overrated Rondo is.

Thumper 88
04-22-2015, 05:51 PM
Carlisle: "Rondo sustained a back injury at the 11-mark of the first quarter last night. He attempted to take a charge on James Harden."

Rick Carlisle on if he expects Rajon Rondo to wear a Dallas Mavericks uniform again: “No, I don’t."

Carlisle on if he believes he can coexist with Rondo as a coach: “Absolutely. I like Rondo. My relationship with him was professional."

FlashBolt
04-22-2015, 05:52 PM
There is zero chance Mavs are resigning him. Cuban either likes you or doesn't and so far, nothing about Rondo implies that he wants him.

zn23
04-22-2015, 05:52 PM
At this point in his career he's a back up point guard at best, and really has been for the last few years.

The game has evolved past Rondo. Back in 2008 he could get away with not shooting well and having teams play off of him. The game has changed now. You can't be such a liability offensively that teams start to play so far away from you because you can't shoot.

He never developed a jump shot, and now he's pretty much worthless to any team. His defense hasn't been that great either.

So you have an aging point guard, whose athleticism is declining, who still can't shoot, and who wants to get paid top dollar. Good luck finding a team.

GiantsSwaGG
04-22-2015, 05:55 PM
I just don't understand how a guy who's been in the league so long not develop at least a respectable jumpshot

Hawkeye15
04-22-2015, 05:57 PM
I just don't understand how a guy who's been in the league so long not develop at least a respectable jumpshot

You will probably ask the same thing about Rubio in like 6 years.

Hawkeye15
04-22-2015, 05:57 PM
At this point in his career he's a back up point guard at best, and really has been for the last few years.

The game has evolved past Rondo. Back in 2008 he could get away with not shooting well and having teams play off of him. The game has changed now. You can't be such a liability offensively that teams start to play so far away from you because you can't shoot.

He never developed a jump shot, and now he's pretty much worthless to any team. His defense hasn't been that great either.

So you have an aging point guard, whose athleticism is declining, who still can't shoot, and who wants to get paid top dollar. Good luck finding a team.

his defense was never great. He was allowed to gamble with KG/Perk/Pierce behind him.

Mr.B
04-22-2015, 05:58 PM
SportsCenter (@SportsCenter)
4/22/15, 4:52 PM
THIS JUST IN: Dallas coach Rick Carlisle says he does not expect Rajon Rondo to wear a Mavericks uniform ever again. pic.twitter.com/3hO9XSFqCb

zn23
04-22-2015, 06:03 PM

Celtics fans should be very happy they got Isaiah Thomas. Who is a far better player than Rondo.

Saddletramp
04-22-2015, 06:23 PM
I'd definitely say the Rondo trade was worse. At least we know that Odom was on drugs, what's Rondo's excuse for quitting?

He's an *******? He's selfish? He's tired of Carlisle's coaching style already? He values himself more than he's worth? He's mentally weak? He has a sandy vagina? All of the above?

JasonJohnHorn
04-22-2015, 06:27 PM
Rondo's strengths were his defense and playmaking ability. He could attack the rim effectively, make plays and defend, but he has always been a liability from outside, which makes him easy to guard, so unless you have great perimeter players, he can really hurt you on offense. And he needs a post player that can hit a 15-20 footer, like KG, to spread the floor.

The curious thing is that he seems to have all of that in Dallas right now. Dirk and Parsons both spread the floor, as does Ellis, so as long as Chandler is on the opposite side of the post, that should give Rondo plenty of space to work with. And oddly enough, he's actually shooting fairly well from beyond the arc in Dallas. What is the problem them?

I'm on the east coast and I don't have cable, so I don't see too many Dallas games, buy my best guess is that when Monta is handling the ball and Rondo is on the court, defenses just slack off on Rondo and it tightens up the rest of the offenses. That's what they did in Boston if Pierce brought the ball up when Rondo was on the floor. On defense, if Rondo is a step slower than he was before he injury, that means the value he brought defensively is reduced greatly and that he may not be making up for his other short comings. That might also make him less effective when attacking the basket. I've heard people complaining that he's not as athletic. If that's true, it is a HUGE hit on his game.

A max deal seems out of the question, but looking at what Ricky Rubio is making, it doesn't seem unreasonable that he would get 10 mil a year from somebody, especially considering that the cap is going to be jumping up.

Tony_Starks
04-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Rondo and Clarkson as our pgs? Works for me! One helluva lot better than Lin and Ronnie Price!

Tony_Starks
04-22-2015, 06:36 PM
SportsCenter (@SportsCenter)
4/22/15, 4:52 PM
THIS JUST IN: Dallas coach Rick Carlisle says he does not expect Rajon Rondo to wear a Mavericks uniform ever again. pic.twitter.com/3hO9XSFqCb

Damn. Failed experiment for real!

Andrew32
04-22-2015, 06:39 PM
From the moment they traded for Rondo I told myself that it was an atrocious trade and that Rondo was a terrible fit on this Dallas team.
This end result in no way surprises me and I feel bad for Maverick fans.

Now that Rondo has lost a good deal of his youthful athleticism and can no longer even shoot FT's I am not sure how much value the dude really has.
I wouldn't want him running my offense in a big role (he ain't Jason Kidd) and even in a smaller role his lack of shooting ability makes him a semi-liability in this current 3pt shooting league.

Dude had amazing talent coming into the league but now after injuries and his lack of improvement in key areas you'd hope a PG would improve in has led him to this.

Plus as a side note I would add that I always thought his playmaking ability was overrated mainly because he is not good at "getting his" within the flow of the offense.
Even when he is trying to get assists he seems more like a SG isolating then a natural point simply running the offense ala a guy like Jason Kidd.
That might be extreme but I think its to some degree true.
Rondo has never in a big role run a decent offense. Those older Boston teams generally had really crappy offenses.
Great natural individual talent but lacks intangibles and never learned how to shoot.

Munkeysuit
04-22-2015, 06:47 PM
We all know how great Rondo is with the right players around him, so let's not act like he sucks all of a sudden.
I personally think he is on the wrong team right now, this Mavs team does not even need Rondo, they don't even know how to use Rondo! That is pretty crazy to say because they have some of the best minds at work out there in the big D, but I honestly think they acquired Rondo because they were/are desperately trying to stay relevant in a quickly ascending Western Conference.

Hawkeye15
04-22-2015, 07:00 PM
We all know how great Rondo is with the right players around him, so let's not act like he sucks all of a sudden.
I personally think he is on the wrong team right now, this Mavs team does not even need Rondo, they don't even know how to use Rondo! That is pretty crazy to say because they have some of the best minds at work out there in the big D, but I honestly think they acquired Rondo because they were/are desperately trying to stay relevant in a quickly ascending Western Conference.

if Rondo needs a magical combination of on of the top 3 shooters ever, a HOF isolation scorer, and a top 3 PF ever, along with a wall of defense behind him to be great, what does that say?

He never sucked. He just wasn't even remotely a top tier PG. Ever.

kobe4thewinbang
04-22-2015, 07:02 PM
The State of Rondo:

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2hd4caa.jpg

FlashBolt
04-22-2015, 07:13 PM
The State of Rondo:

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2hd4caa.jpg

Are the Lakers trying to rebuild or tank? Getting Rondo when you can get so many other PG's is a mistake. Not being able to score/shoot/hit FT's as a PG? I don't care how many rebounds you can get.. Jason Kidd had to reinvent himself because he couldn't shoot. You just can't win like that unless you have a stacked team.

Mr.B
04-22-2015, 07:58 PM
He's an *******? He's selfish? He's tired of Carlisle's coaching style already? He values himself more than he's worth? He's mentally weak? He has a sandy vagina? All of the above?

Hahaha! Sandy vagina

Mr.B
04-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Rondo and Clarkson as our pgs? Works for me! One helluva lot better than Lin and Ronnie Price!

Be careful what you wish for.

kobe4thewinbang
04-22-2015, 08:02 PM
Be careful what you wish for.Rondo > Lin, obviously. But maybe Kobe could convince Rondo to take a little discount. Or heck, maybe Rondo goes somewhere completely different.

Blink
04-22-2015, 08:06 PM
Raiders

Mr.B
04-22-2015, 08:08 PM
I think Rondo would be horrible for Clarkson's development in LA. Rondo is also a locker room cancer. It's no coincidence that Monta all of a sudden reverted back to the old Monta once Rondo got to Dallas.

Mr.B
04-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Rondo > Lin, obviously. But maybe Kobe could convince Rondo to take a little discount. Or heck, maybe Rondo goes somewhere completely different.

Honestly the only thing Rondo will have to be convinced is that he's not worth more than the MLE. As I stated I really think he would be horrible for Clarkson's development.

lakerfan85
04-22-2015, 08:16 PM
I pray he doesn't come to Lakers..

zn23
04-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Rondo > Lin, obviously. But maybe Kobe could convince Rondo to take a little discount. Or heck, maybe Rondo goes somewhere completely different.

Isn't that just lesser of two evils?

Tony_Starks
04-22-2015, 08:24 PM
I think Rondo would be horrible for Clarkson's development in LA. Rondo is also a locker room cancer. It's no coincidence that Monta all of a sudden reverted back to the old Monta once Rondo got to Dallas.

I'm not so sure. Dallas looks like they lack in the leadership department. Lakers leaders are pretty clear, Byron and Kobe. Byron seems to really be a pgs coach and Rondo and Kobe both have the same mentality. Not to mention Rondo would be voluntarily signing on as opposed to being shipped here.

It could work. Its definitely worth a investment before the next CBA kicks in and salaries go up. I think eventually Clarkson is going to be a all-star caliber pg regardless so if Rondo starts messing up the program you just cut bait pronto...

GiantsSwaGG
04-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Rondo's strengths were his defense and playmaking ability. He could attack the rim effectively, make plays and defend, but he has always been a liability from outside, which makes him easy to guard, so unless you have great perimeter players, he can really hurt you on offense. And he needs a post player that can hit a 15-20 footer, like KG, to spread the floor.

The curious thing is that he seems to have all of that in Dallas right now. Dirk and Parsons both spread the floor, as does Ellis, so as long as Chandler is on the opposite side of the post, that should give Rondo plenty of space to work with. And oddly enough, he's actually shooting fairly well from beyond the arc in Dallas. What is the problem them?

I'm on the east coast and I don't have cable, so I don't see too many Dallas games, buy my best guess is that when Monta is handling the ball and Rondo is on the court, defenses just slack off on Rondo and it tightens up the rest of the offenses. That's what they did in Boston if Pierce brought the ball up when Rondo was on the floor. On defense, if Rondo is a step slower than he was before he injury, that means the value he brought defensively is reduced greatly and that he may not be making up for his other short comings. That might also make him less effective when attacking the basket. I've heard people complaining that he's not as athletic. If that's true, it is a HUGE hit on his game.

A max deal seems out of the question, but looking at what Ricky Rubio is making, it doesn't seem unreasonable that he would get 10 mil a year from somebody, especially considering that the cap is going to be jumping up.

Why don't you have cable?

GiantsSwaGG
04-22-2015, 08:26 PM

Talk about SLIGHT upgrade

Saddletramp
04-22-2015, 08:57 PM
I'm not so sure. Dallas looks like they lack in the leadership department. Lakers leaders are pretty clear, Byron and Kobe. Byron seems to really be a pgs coach and Rondo and Kobe both have the same mentality. Not to mention Rondo would be voluntarily signing on as opposed to being shipped here.

It could work. Its definitely worth a investment before the next CBA kicks in and salaries go up. I think eventually Clarkson is going to be a all-star caliber pg regardless so if Rondo starts messing up the program you just cut bait pronto...

1. So Dirk and Carlisle aren't leaders? And Kobe isn't a leader, he's.......well, we've seen him "leading" this year. Not exactly Magic over there.
2. I doubt he takes a short deal and the way he's headed, why would any team think he won't be a head case?

Young2Kinsler
04-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Good riddance at this point. Guy has completely quit. Any team who signs him, even to a minimum deal, will be ****ing up.

This guy has everything to play for and literally does not care. I'm glad Dallas did the right thing and removed him from the team. I think with his distraction gone we can still make this a series with Houston.

Logical Mavs fans knew this was a risk when the trade was made, but we never envisioned this. Might be the most hated basketball player in Dallas when all is said and done.

Chronz
04-22-2015, 09:15 PM

That's the thing, his j has improved, its his slashing game that's declined

Chronz
04-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Right. Even if true, odds are its not worth it if hes demanding a higher salary than Lin

Tony_Starks
04-22-2015, 09:33 PM

LOL! Biggest laugh I had since Coming to America!

Mr.B
04-22-2015, 10:08 PM

Well both Doc Rivers and Carlisle are considered better coaches than Byron Scott. Carlisle also has a history or turning around the careers of troubled guards and Rondo couldn't get along with either one. And just because Kobe and Rondo are friends doesn't mean they can play well together. Rondo and Monta are friends two and everyone has seen how that worked. Also Kobe is a more ball dominant guard than Monta is.

As I stated before Rondo is a cancer. He will ruin Clarkson.

Mr.B
04-22-2015, 10:10 PM
1. So Dirk and Carlisle aren't leaders? And Kobe isn't a leader, he's.......well, we've seen him "leading" this year. Not exactly Magic over there.
2. I doubt he takes a short deal and the way he's headed, why would any team think he won't be a head case?

Tyson is also a very vocal leader

Saddletramp
04-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Tyson is also a very vocal leader

Good point.

Also, Byron Scott has been throwing some of his players under the bus this year and who else is there? Rookies? Jordan Hill? Carlos Boozer? C'mon. To say the Lakers have better leadership is wishful thinking but totally wrong.

nastynice
04-22-2015, 10:23 PM
I didn't see the first half of the mavs rox game the other day, but if he did indeed just give up on his team, I don't know man. I can imagine only a very desperate team would be willing to sign him. Its one thing to have attitude issues, or have locker room problems between players, but for a player to give up on his team on the court during the playoffs..!? wow, that's crazy, I wouldn't want that anywhere near my team, and I'd want to think every other gm in the league is thinking the same thing. Some team is going to be in a desperate situation tho, and someone is gonna give him a contract, but either way, I can't imagine him going to a good situation.

Jayb587
04-22-2015, 10:26 PM
Good point.

Also, Byron Scott has been throwing some of his players under the bus this year and who else is there? Rookies? Jordan Hill? Carlos Boozer? C'mon. To say the Lakers have better leadership is wishful thinking but totally wrong.

dallas has no on court leaders. no one directing traffic, who even calls plays on the court in a pinch? I remember when I could hear rondo yelling out plays and at boston players to get them In their spots and then run the offense, I don't see why he cant do that anymore. chemistry was sorely lacking in dallas, rondo didn't know where anyone would be on the court and dallas players didn't know when or where to expect passes from rondo. with that said ill take him on the lakers pending how much money he wants.

Thumper 88
04-22-2015, 10:33 PM
Good riddance at this point. Guy has completely quit. Any team who signs him, even to a minimum deal, will be ****ing up.

This guy has everything to play for and literally does not care. I'm glad Dallas did the right thing and removed him from the team. I think with his distraction gone we can still make this a series with Houston.

Logical Mavs fans knew this was a risk when the trade was made, but we never envisioned this. Might be the most hated basketball player in Dallas when all is said and done.

I agree y2k

Even the people that said it wouldn't work didn't think it wouldn't work like this

LA_Raiders
04-22-2015, 10:41 PM
I agree, he is nothing more than a great back up PG. I hope he signs with the Lakers for cheap as a back up.

Stunner
04-22-2015, 11:03 PM
Lin better than rondo

NYSpirit1
04-22-2015, 11:05 PM
Rondo went from a likely max last year to a guy that won't get more than $7-8 million annually next year. I expect him on the Lakers.

Someone will get him a chance. The Mavs just aren't that good of a team. They're full of former Knicks - Amare, Felton and Chandler. I first hand know how much all those guys suck. And something was clearly going on with Carlisle-Rondo-Mavs.

How do you average almost 12 assists with nobodies on the Celtics and then average like 6.5 with Dirk, Ellis, Parsons, etc.

More-Than-Most
04-23-2015, 12:13 AM
i wouldnt want him on the sixers... I am and have always been in the same boat as hawk... He was a product of his team and not even close to as good as some tried to make him.

sixer04fan
04-23-2015, 01:30 AM
I think we could still see the good Rondo if the situation was perfect. I don't know if we ever will see that situation, but I wouldn't write him off as a player and put the nail in the coffin quite yet.

Either way, I'm totally against his behavior and all that this year. Dude is a moron and he's costed himself tens of millions as an impending FA because of his stupidity.

Mave1002
04-23-2015, 01:44 AM
Sadly I don't see a " playoff team " that would pay Rondo to replace their current PG

I really hope the Lakers don't go after him and mess up Clarkson's growth not to mention he's already better .

Honestly the only team I could see Rondo start on are the 76ers and that's if they don't get Russell or Mudiay . Knicks could be a possibility as well if they no longer run the Triangle because he can't shoot .

I think Rondo is basically a high profile back up pg right now and shouldn't get anywhere near 8 million annually .

I'm sure he's really considering signing with Houston right now and I hope the feeling is mutual.

D12-DMo
Jsmith-Jones
Ariza-Brewer
Harden-Terry
Rondo-Beverly-Prigioni

kobe4thewinbang
04-23-2015, 02:00 AM
Rondo went from a likely max last year to a guy that won't get more than $7-8 million annually next year. I expect him on the Lakers.

Someone will get him a chance. The Mavs just aren't that good of a team. They're full of former Knicks - Amare, Felton and Chandler. I first hand know how much all those guys suck. And something was clearly going on with Carlisle-Rondo-Mavs.

How do you average almost 12 assists with nobodies on the Celtics and then average like 6.5 with Dirk, Ellis, Parsons, etc.Because Dallas took the ball out of Rondo's hands. In Boston, he was making an assist on nearly every play, if it weren't for Bass missing those jumpers (good gawd). Bass sucks...

DODGERS&LAKERS
04-23-2015, 02:09 AM
Rondo sucks. Its one thing to have a crappy attitude when you are a great player. People can overlook that. But when you can't shoot to save your life and don't play defense like you used to, having a crappy attitude is the nail in the coffin. If he wants to play for the Lakers, 1 year 5 million. He pays them.

Tony_Starks
04-23-2015, 02:26 AM
How quickly people forget who was leading the league in assist before he got shipped.

Sometimes situations don't fit, doesn't make him a cancer. Case in point, look at the "cancer" Josh Smith.

There's still no excuse for quitting but I'm not overreacting as far as his skills.....

Bostonjorge
04-23-2015, 02:44 AM
Rondo didn't suck game 1. Jim Carey and rondo are just beefing. Game 2 rondo got benched after he was about to fight harden. Bucks got into a fight with Bulls and magically got into the series. Jim Carey just looking for a reason to bench rondo.

BornReady
04-23-2015, 03:17 AM
Rondo didn't suck game 1. Jim Carey and rondo are just beefing. Game 2 rondo got benched after he was about to fight harden. Bucks got into a fight with Bulls and magically got into the series. Jim Carey just looking for a reason to bench rondo.

Rondo didn't suck in game one bc the rockets literally didn't guard him all game to shadow other shooters and Dirk. on the switches they would double more on the other player than Rondo, that's why he was so open on al the jumpers. that was mchales plan, to worry about ellis parsons and Dirk and let rondo score bc we all know rondo can't carry that offensive load and it worked, they won

Lakers + Giants
04-23-2015, 03:31 AM
For years i have prayed for players to come to the lakers, this time praying he stays away from us.

TylerSL
04-23-2015, 05:41 AM
I generally try to avoid topics that involve Rajon Rondo, but I've said he has always been the most overrated player in basketball since 2012. The dude probably isn't even a top 20 point guard (I can name at least 13 point guards that I would want over him easy) and he is costing himself tens of millions.

The guy is an entitled dumb ***. He's quitting on Dallas because he can't get along with the coach and showing the basketball world he is nothing more than a brat on the national stage. There were always rumors of him in Boston, but Doc/KG/Pierce/Allen covered it. In fact wasn't it because of Rondo that Allen left Boston to begin with?

Funny thing is, before all this Rondo could have probably convinced some dumb *** team to give him 4 years 70+ million, maybe even a max. Now he'll be lucky to see a 4 year deal at all. I bet he ends up getting something like 3 years 35 million at the most. And that's STILL overpaying him.....

Mave1002
04-23-2015, 05:56 AM
Wow. A lot of hot heads in here. Chill folks. It's only Rajon Rondo :)

Thumper 88
04-23-2015, 08:10 AM

How do you average almost 12 assists with nobodies on the Celtics and then average like 6.5 with Dirk, Ellis, Parsons, etc.
Just because the NYK suck doesn't mean Tyson Chandler sucks. The dude has been a beast all year and he's the vocal leader of this team.

How quickly people forget who was leading the league in assist before he got shipped.

Sometimes situations don't fit, doesn't make him a cancer. Case in point, look at the "cancer" Josh Smith.

There's still no excuse for quitting but I'm not overreacting as far as his skills.....
Pretty much this. Rondo doesn't suck.. People keep saying I told you so that it wouldn't work. Well yeah it didn't work because Rondo quit on the team not because he sucks.

Yes and no. Rondo not only gave up on the coach, he gave up on his teammates and fans.

Ariza's Better
04-23-2015, 08:35 AM
I'm sure he's really considering signing with Houston right now and I hope the feeling is mutual.

D12-DMo
Jsmith-Jones
Ariza-Brewer
Harden-Terry
Rondo-Beverly-Prigioni

http://youtu.be/umDr0mPuyQc

Hawkeye15
04-23-2015, 09:24 AM

not hard to do when you have a top 3 shooter ever, another great HOF scorer in Pierce, and KG down low...oh, and you refuse to shoot cause you are terrible at it

Hawkeye15
04-23-2015, 09:25 AM
Pretty much this. Rondo doesn't suck.. People keep saying I told you so that it wouldn't work. Well yeah it didn't work because Rondo quit on the team not because he sucks.

the problem is, Rondo is a PG that ONLY works in a specific blue print. If he doesn't have shooters/scorers on offense, and rim protection on defense, he offers little to nothing.

Unfortunately, not every situation is that of a championship roster for support...

pacofunk64
04-23-2015, 10:20 AM
He's the Percy Harvin of the NBA.

Mr.B
04-23-2015, 10:24 AM

The reason his assists went down is because the Mavs offense is built on ball movement. They like to swing the ball instead of just having Rondo dribble the ball for 20 second and then catch and shoot. That was one of the problems Rondo had with Carlisle. Carlisle wants to run and then swing the ball so that the best shot is taken. Rondo prefers to walk the ball up the court, hold it and then pass at the last second so he'll get the assist.

Mr.B
04-23-2015, 10:27 AM

What was Boston's record with Rondo getting all those assists compared to their record after he was traded?

Tony_Starks
04-23-2015, 11:28 AM

not hard to do when you have a top 3 shooter ever, another great HOF scorer in Pierce, and KG down low...oh, and you refuse to shoot cause you are terrible at it

This year bro, was leading the league in assist this year playing on a JV team....

Tony_Starks
04-23-2015, 11:35 AM

What was Boston's record with Rondo getting all those assists compared to their record after he was traded?

What was Detroit's record when J Smooth left? Started winning all over the place, yes? Smith still went to Houston and balled out. Rondo is still very capable of having success in the right situation .

Hawkeye15
04-23-2015, 11:48 AM
This year bro, was leading the league in assist this year playing on a JV team....

while sucking beyond belief in every other aspect of the game..

Chronz
04-23-2015, 12:53 PM

But would you really take pride in having a player who would rather rack up assists than improve his teams offense? Its no coincidence the team took off once they got rid of that cancer. Its no coincidence the Mavs offense fell off a cliff once he joined either. Dude is truly effective the worse his team is now.

Saddletramp
04-23-2015, 02:23 PM
The reason his assists went down is because the Mavs offense is built on ball movement. They like to swing the ball instead of just having Rondo dribble the ball for 20 second and then catch and shoot. That was one of the problems Rondo had with Carlisle. Carlisle wants to run and then swing the ball so that the best shot is taken. Rondo prefers to walk the ball up the court, hold it and then pass at the last second so he'll get the assist.

I hate to be like youknowwho, but great post/point. This pretty much explains it.

Interesting to see what happens Friday.

NYKnickFanatic
04-23-2015, 02:27 PM
I hate to be like youknowwho, but great post/point. This pretty much explains it.

Rondo is done. He is out indefinitely due to a "back injury".

NYKnickFanatic
04-23-2015, 02:28 PM
http://www.si.com/nba/2015/04/22/rajon-rondo-dallas-mavericks-back-injury

Slug3
04-23-2015, 02:40 PM

And that's one of the reasons why I was a little shocked Dallas traded for him. Maybe they just thought his defense would be way better and benefit them more.

Mr.B
04-23-2015, 02:49 PM

I think the Mavs will play better and will definitely play hard and may even win a home game but ultimately Houston still has more talent and will likely win the series. We won't have to see the Mavs offense grind to a halt anymore though since Rondo has been banished from the team.

Kashmir13579
04-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Mavs was a horrible fit

Kashmir13579
04-23-2015, 02:52 PM
I mean, I have been hard on Rondo forever, I always thought he was a very overrated player in Boston, and I would never have had him as my lead guard on a team by choice.

As I stated, I always wanted to see what he looked like with his HOF offensive and defensive talent around him peeled away. We are seeing it. He is a below average PG. so the mavs dont have HOF offense and devense... Thats news to me

Mr.B
04-23-2015, 02:55 PM
And that's one of the reasons why I was a little shocked Dallas traded for him. Maybe they just thought his defense would be way better and benefit them more.

I can understand why they made the trade. At the time Rondo was still viewed (at least by Cuban and Donnie Nelson) as being a top PG, or at very least better than Jameer Nelson. When you look at all of the other PG's in the West the Mavs have to go against its clear there is no way Nelson was going to get the job done. Rondo has proved to the Mavs though that their faith in him was completely wrong. The guy is exactly what all the nay sayers said he was. A cancer and just not very good at all. Dallas may have still got beat in the playoffs with Nelson but at least they would have been fun to watch. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

citolindo
04-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Rondo will be fine, he is not a good fit for dallas at all. You cant have two guys who start that cant score the ball worth a lick, Tyson is bad on offense and rondo is no better. It so easy to play defense when its 5 defense players vs 3 offense. They didnt lose because of rondo. They lost cause Dallas as a team play bad. Dirk has the smallers guys on him alot but was missing his cupcake shots, jj was playin heroe ball and when taking it to the basket didnt look to pass. But to get back on topic rondo will be back and will put up good numbers. He still got alot left in the tank.

Saddletramp
04-23-2015, 03:49 PM
Rondo is done. He is out indefinitely due to a "back injury".

That's my point. Now that they don't have to worry about his assist padding, they can go back to what MrB said. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if they win Game 3.

NYKnickFanatic
04-23-2015, 04:05 PM
That's my point. Now that they don't have to worry about his assist padding, they can go back to what MrB said. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if they win Game 3.

My fault. I wasn't caught up in the thread.

Saddletramp
04-23-2015, 04:54 PM
My fault. I wasn't caught up in the thread.

All good.

kobe4thewinbang
04-24-2015, 11:58 PM
Hmm...right in the game in Game 1 against Houston, Rondo playing well, game 2 no Rondo basically and they lose, no Rondo in Game 3 and they lose...it's a pattern ain't it?

sep11ie
04-25-2015, 12:56 AM
I don't see your point, unless you are just saying how they lost all 3?

Saddletramp
04-25-2015, 02:44 AM
Hmm...right in the game in Game 1 against Houston, Rondo playing well, game 2 no Rondo basically and they lose, no Rondo in Game 3 and they lose...it's a pattern ain't it?

Rondo plays - Double digit loss.
Rondo plays - Double digit loss.
Rondo doesn't play - 2 point game.

I know the Mavs were at home, but I don't think they win with Rondo.

jerellh528
04-25-2015, 02:44 AM
I hate almost everything about rondo and if the lakers give him a max, I'll throw up.

JNA17
04-25-2015, 06:52 AM
I hate almost everything about rondo and if the lakers give him a contract, I'll throw up.

Fixed.

If the Lakers even consider Rondo, the front office really doesn't have a clue. Clarkson is not only younger, cheeper and the future, he's a better player than Rondo at this point.

Lakers don't settle for B tier players either. If they did, Lakers would have signed Lance Stephenson and Isiah Thomas last off season.

Which gives me hope that they will look to spend their cap on much more worthy players that would actually fill a need. Like Khris Middleton, Tobais Harris, or DeAndre Jordan depending on how the lottery and draft goes. I wish Jimmy Butler but no way Bulls let him go.

Sssmush
04-25-2015, 06:57 AM
while Rondo's behavior is obviously way out of bounds and I am highly skeptical of him coming to the
Lakers, especially as part of a "fourth wave" Kobe reinvention project that will extend another 2-3 years
or whatever... just regarding what I've seen in Dallas I don't put all the blame on Rondo.

I mean Rondo was making plays and making opponents look bad in Boston sometimes when he was playing, and obviously before the injury he had a mental bag of basketball tricks that really impressed me, the way
he was way ahead of plays and seemingly toying with the game and really kind of dominating in a weird way.
I guess it was questionable whether "the Rondo show" could really be the center of another complete team but it was definitely impressive.

Carlisle's system in Dallas seems pretty worthless from what I can see. I mean maybe if they hadn't traded those other guys for Rondo... maybe they'd still be good. But Rondo probably sees what the rest of us see, that Monte Ellis and some of the other good players in Dallas could probably be better if they had more freedom, and that Carlisle's Calipari routine isn't getting them very far in the playoffs for *a while*

Of course they are playing close games with Houston, who is a very strong team this year, losing in game three by two points and in the first game I think Houston won by 8 points (??) but Houston also shot some record number of free throws, 42 or 52 freethrows or something gross, so a game like that doesn't prove
anything, except that Harden and Howard are viewed as marketable stars whose time *must* come now. And last year Dallas gave the Spurs a series in the first round but that is a really tough draw.

So maybe you could say Dallas isn't really bad it's just the draw in the tough West, and that if Dallas was in the East they'd be playing in the ECFs for sure and might even realistically come out of the East. And so what is Rondo's freakin problem... is he a weird diva prima donna or just really doesn't like the coach? Or is he a basketball wizard that can't deal with the mistakes and oversights of a possibly mediocre coach Carlisle?
Or is he doing a "Tyson bites the ear" or "Duran no mas" routine to try and save face because he just can't get it done on the court. Who knows. It's certainly incredible that he was in line for a $20M+ 4 or 5 year deal and was being actively wooed and a month later he is a huge question mark to even be wanted onto a team for a vet minimum.

And yikes because "Kobe likes Rondo" and made that known this year, and because I guess Rondo "wants to become a Laker" the Lakers might be stuck with him and probably even give him $10M. And if not then you're already ramping up Kobe's displeasure and the coming stew of 1. Jim Buss espn radio rants 2. Kobe contract controversies 3. Kobe free agent controversies 4. Kobe is retiring/not retiring/wants a trade/doesn't want a trade/likes Byron/hates Byron/helps recruiting/hurts recruiting rumors stories reports etc... all of which realistically nobody even cares about because Kobe has now gone two solid years at $25m-$30m without even playing and with never even showing anybody on the Lakers any support. And sorry to say I am a huge Kobe fan but this routine is brutally boring and tiring and after two years I really hope management doesn't believe that they are just obligated and have no choice but to give it two or three more years.

seriously, all the radio people say "after next year Kobe comes off the books" but I haven't heard ANYBODY in the Laker organization even hint at that or much less say it. NOBODY is saying Kobe coming off the books, and listen to me know and believe me later by October all you are going to be hearing is "Kobe extension".

So I don't know maybe the Lakers are just ****ed for the foreseeable future and I should just sleep until 2020
when something new might be going on with the Lakers. And jeez if you sign Rondo to this Lakers team that is
possibly ridiculous. I mean seriously? And then if you add Kevin Love as the big free agent signing *hahahahahahahahahahahahaha* you have the weirdest team ever, top to bottom. AND of course you'll sign him for a max with a one year opt out so we can just keep the weirdness getting weirder every year.

actually it's super interesting because it is actually SOOOOO easy to fix this Lakers team, but let's just see
if they can actually do it or if the gears are intractably glued and stuck together

JNA17
04-25-2015, 07:01 AM
Let's clear some things up first:

1. Kobe has absolutely ZERO power in any moves the FO. None whatsoever. Mitch and co have never catered to Kobe's wants and desires before, so why would they suddenly start now on a Kobe's last legs?

2. Mitch made a few clear points himself. Points such as "we're not going to spend for the sake of spending or because we can (I'm paraphrasing but that's pretty much the just of it)". Or "we won't sign B tier players (he did say that word for word)"

3. Clarkson is the point guard here and will stay that way unless he's traded. Until then, Lakers themselves have made it clear that he is an important piece here as well as Randle. Which tells me that the Lakers are finally looking into building a core foundation and going into this youth movement with Clarkson, Randle, and whoever we pick with the top 5 pick.

Rondo's chances of coming to LA are slimmer than most people think. Not once has LA expressed any interest in Rondo since the trade deadline and they could care less what Kobe wants assuming he still even wants Rondo here now in the first place.

Thumper 88
04-25-2015, 11:29 AM
No.. They played so much better in game 3 than in 1&2. Rondo being gone made them better.

One could say they are 0-3 in the series is because rondo was in 2 games and Parsons has missed two games

Thumper 88
04-25-2015, 11:29 AM
JJ Berra > Rondo

Shareeb_omac2
04-25-2015, 12:49 PM
Jason Kidd and Carlisle didn't see eye to eye but Kidd eventually bought in and they won a championship...

Captain Moroni
04-25-2015, 12:57 PM
This has Stephon Marbury written all over it.

MDD
04-27-2015, 09:51 AM
I always thought Rondo was way overrated!!!!!!!

slashsnake
04-27-2015, 01:57 PM
Let's clear some things up first:

1. Kobe has absolutely ZERO power in any moves the FO. None whatsoever. Mitch and co have never catered to Kobe's wants and desires before, so why would they suddenly start now on a Kobe's last legs?

2. Mitch made a few clear points himself. Points such as "we're not going to spend for the sake of spending or because we can (I'm paraphrasing but that's pretty much the just of it)". Or "we won't sign B tier players (he did say that word for word)"

3. Clarkson is the point guard here and will stay that way unless he's traded. Until then, Lakers themselves have made it clear that he is an important piece here as well as Randle. Which tells me that the Lakers are finally looking into building a core foundation and going into this youth movement with Clarkson, Randle, and whoever we pick with the top 5 pick.

Rondo's chances of coming to LA are slimmer than most people think. Not once has LA expressed any interest in Rondo since the trade deadline and they could care less what Kobe wants assuming he still even wants Rondo here now in the first place.

1. Really? You are buying that? Kobe wants minutes, he gets minutes, he wants to not be on the end of the bench when hurt, he can be in Europe if he chooses, he wants the ball, he gets the ball, he is upset with a teammate, they pull that teammate. He wants to play another couple years, they will sign him up for it. He doesn't want Shaq anymore, they trade him and THE VERY NEXT DAY he drops the Clippers deal and signs with the lakers. He doesn't run the show, but it would be wrong to say he has no pull with that front office.

3. Clarkson is a 2nd round PG thrown in the starting lineup because Nash and Randle got hurt, and averaged 3.5 assists a game. I wouldn't consider him much of anything until he proves he can play ok for a good team.