PDA

View Full Version : Roy Hibbert future with Pacers doubtful, where does he end up?

AllBall
04-18-2015, 09:45 AM
Pacers trying to give Roy Hibbert shove to Force Opt-Out.

Saw this on PTI, surprised there was no thread on it

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2015/04/17/vogel-on-hibbert-roys-role-will-be-diminished/25934333/

Does he stay for the money and ride the bench?

What team would pick him up? How much?

What team makes the most sense for him?

slashsnake
04-18-2015, 02:02 PM
Talk about a surprise. I remember a few years ago watching him late in the year and in the playoffs thinking he was going to be a stud for sure. Last year with the need to pick up scoring... he doesn't.

Still a solid defender, but nothing like what I thought he would be..

If I was his agent, I'd be telling him that his only option is to accept that player option. They don't want to play you, you can make a bit of stink over it in the media, and they'll trade you, some team will want that expiring contract. That isn't the issue. 15.5 million bucks is the issue. That's likely to be 15 - 20 % of the money he will make in his entire lifetime. You take that. If it costs you 500 minutes of playing time, so be it. He's what? A year younger than guys like CP3 and JR Smith. He isn't exactly a young guy you work on fundamentals with and spend big on what he can be in another 5 years.

Ezio
04-18-2015, 02:18 PM
He'll be stupid not to take the money from the player option.

chi-townlove1
04-18-2015, 02:21 PM
If they don't draft a young big, I could Honestly see the Bulls trading taj and let Hibbert start at center next to Pau and have Noah come off the bench for his health.

curtcocaine
04-18-2015, 02:21 PM
Would say My warriors but Ezile has been emerging could be the future of our post D. Idk maybe the rockets on a vet min?

Detroit?

Ezio
04-18-2015, 02:22 PM
If they don't draft a young big, I could Honestly see the Bulls trading taj and let Hibbert start at center next to Pau and have Noah come off the bench for his health.

We already have to pay Jimmy max money now you want to increase the tax for Hibbert?

mngopher35
04-18-2015, 02:31 PM
I feel like he's going to take that option whether pacers want him to or not

NYKnickFanatic
04-18-2015, 02:47 PM
Hopefully not NY.

RaiderKid318
04-18-2015, 03:10 PM
I think he would be a nice cheaper option (probably not by much) than Asik. Let Asik walk and bring in hibbert.

FlashBolt
04-18-2015, 03:21 PM
I think he would be a nice cheaper option (probably not by much) than Asik. Let Asik walk and bring in hibbert.

Hibbert is not getting $15m anywhere else. He's better off staying and then trying to improve his game (for a new contract) and then stick back to sucking.. because he sucks. No way a center of that size should be shooting 45% from the field when he strictly is a post type player. It's ridiculous.

slashsnake
04-18-2015, 03:41 PM
Hibbert is not getting $15m anywhere else. He's better off staying and then trying to improve his game (for a new contract) and then stick back to sucking.. because he sucks. No way a center of that size should be shooting 45% from the field when he strictly is a post type player. It's ridiculous.

Yeah, that is crazy money. He makes Russell Westbrook, Lamarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, Dwyane Wade comparable, top 25 in the league pay.

And honestly, it made sense at the time. 7'2" 280 lb, rim protecting, rebounding, always healthy, 50% shooting, steadily improving 25 year old all star who just averaged a double-double for you in the post-season? Who wouldn't pay that good money? And a year later he was the guy averaging 22-10 on 56% shooting in the series vs. the Heat. He was the 2nd best player in that series to only Lebron. With hindsight, awful deal it looks like, but at the time... it seemed like an obvious choice.

GiantsSwaGG
04-18-2015, 07:14 PM
Hibbert SUCKS, he would be dumb to leave that money on the table

dhopisthename
04-18-2015, 07:27 PM
hibberts fg%. the last 3 years .448, .439, .446. that is just really bad for a big. his defense is pretty good, but he has a ton of flaws.

FlashBolt
04-18-2015, 08:11 PM
Yeah, that is crazy money. He makes Russell Westbrook, Lamarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, Dwyane Wade comparable, top 25 in the league pay.

And honestly, it made sense at the time. 7'2" 280 lb, rim protecting, rebounding, always healthy, 50% shooting, steadily improving 25 year old all star who just averaged a double-double for you in the post-season? Who wouldn't pay that good money? And a year later he was the guy averaging 22-10 on 56% shooting in the series vs. the Heat. He was the 2nd best player in that series to only Lebron. With hindsight, awful deal it looks like, but at the time... it seemed like an obvious choice.

Well yeah, because Bosh couldn't defend the paint at all. If you look at Miami's playoff runs, they always get exposed on the frontcourt. That is due to Bosh's inability to hold his position. Bosh is agile and that is why he's usually a better team defender than a man on. Not a slight against him but everyone knew Miami's weakness was the post presence.

Jarvo
04-18-2015, 08:55 PM
He's trash man

Mr. Baller
04-18-2015, 09:29 PM
He'd be an idiot to opt out of 15M

CityofChaos
04-19-2015, 05:46 AM
I've always felt that Hibbert was overrated especially in terms of his 'defensive ability.' Yes he is, or WAS a good defender but he has never in his career consistently held down his postion against elite big men, hell, even Al Jefferson would give him the work. He is terrible offensively, can't pass like Joahkim Noah or Bogut, and lacks aggression for a guy his size.

IndyRealist
04-19-2015, 08:13 AM
I've always felt that Hibbert was overrated especially in terms of his 'defensive ability.' Yes he is, or WAS a good defender but he has never in his career consistently held down his postion against elite big men, hell, even Al Jefferson would give him the work. He is terrible offensively, can't pass like Joahkim Noah or Bogut, and lacks aggression for a guy his size.

It's proven, statistically, that Roy Hibbert shuts down the paint and forces teams into midrange jumpers. His offense is atrocious, but his defense has never been in question. He was the lynchpin for the #1 rated defense several years running.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-19-2015, 11:37 AM
Glad the Bucks didn't trade for him last summer.

mrblisterdundee
04-19-2015, 07:30 PM
I could see the Cavaliers going after him, along with most other teams. I wouldn't mind getting him in Portland, even if it means giving up Sideshow Bob.

ManRam
04-19-2015, 07:46 PM
I hesitate calling him "overrated" because I think up until about halfway thru the 2014 season he wasn't ever overhyped. And I think people VERY quickly realized he wasn't the same and gave him plenty of **** for it in 2014. When he started sucking, people weren't looking the other way. I think he's consistently been fairly valued by the general population.

And if anything was ever overrated about him it wasn't his defense. That's a preposterous claim. Just go back and revisit those Heat playoff series and see how much of a terror he was for those Heat players.

Now, obviously he isn't the same player at all. He's an absolute liability on offense and doesn't quite move well enough on defense to be the anchor he once was. But he still has value and I'm sure will get a solid long-term contract if he entered free agency. Even for a backup center, 8+ million a year should be easy to get. Especially with the upcoming CBA. If he thinks he can secure a long term deal I don't think opting out is a bad move. And I do think he still has value. He's still easily a top-10 defensive center a huge net positive on that end.

Silent
04-20-2015, 01:03 AM

:laugh: not a chance in hell the bulls do that u play way 2 much 2k

cmellofan15
04-20-2015, 08:03 AM
Knicks

cssdmark
04-20-2015, 08:54 AM
if I am him they are paying me, he will not get that anywhere else. I would be like 15 mil to ride the bench okay and then leave the following year and sign with another team with a rested body.

JasonJohnHorn
04-20-2015, 09:03 AM
Trade him to NY for their first!

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-20-2015, 09:14 AM
Trade him to NY for their first!

Hibbert isn't worth a top 4 lottery pick.

Vinylman
04-20-2015, 11:32 AM
He isn't overrated... he is overpaid...

People always get the two confused.... at $5-6 million per year he is great value which is what he will make on his next deal unadjusted for the new cap

JasonJohnHorn
04-20-2015, 11:43 AM
You give him 36 minutes, he gets 15 points, 10 boards, and 2 and a half blocks... for 15 mil in today's NBA, that seems like a good trade, especially since unlike most centers in the league, he can actually shoot a free throw.

Didn't make time to watch any Pacers games this season, but statistically he is far from awful. No sure if his defensive movement is where it was when they took Miami to 7 games, but I'd be willing to bet that there are any number of teams willing to take a gamble on him.

He can't help that Vogel is giving a ton of his minutes away to Mahinmi, who really isn't anything to write home about other than his work on the glass, which isn't much better than Hibbert.

ewing
04-20-2015, 11:45 AM
he's just a lazy guy

missionh1llpart
04-20-2015, 12:13 PM
I'd take him on the Celtics for Sullinger and Gerald Wallace.

cmellofan15
04-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Hibbert isn't worth a top 4 lottery pick.

it doesn't matter what he's worth if the knicks want him.

TheNumber37
04-20-2015, 12:41 PM
Centers like him and others really need to play in Tandem with guys who are similar.
If ALL a team needs is a big who can defend and block some shots with size, but does't have to play heavy mins... They should get TWO quality guys like that.

IF not that situation, they are voids in the Atlantic Division (Not a fit for NY), The Spurs could work with him.

lakerboy
04-20-2015, 12:42 PM
He's not worth the max but in this market he will get one, especially since he is a 7 footer. Tall players always get paid..

Lakers can sign him and Rondo this off season, then potentially trade J Randle + Clarkson (don't kill me LA fans) for his teammate, Paul George. That'll actually work well for us.

Hibbert
Towns/Okafor
George
Kobe
Rondo

valade16
04-20-2015, 03:39 PM
He's not worth the max but in this market he will get one, especially since he is a 7 footer. Tall players always get paid..

Lakers can sign him and Rondo this off season, then potentially trade J Randle + Clarkson (don't kill me LA fans) for his teammate, Paul George. That'll actually work well for us.

Hibbert
Towns/Okafor
George
Kobe
Rondo

That team would have the worst spacing possibly in NBA history.