PDA

View Full Version : Pop or Thibs

JasonJohnHorn
04-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Pop and Thibs are likely regarded by most as the two best coaches in the league right now, and in that order, and they both have distinct approaches to minutes. Pop brings out the bench early and often, rests his gives, and ensure long, healthy careers with less wear and tear on joints. Thibs wants to put his best players on the floor for as many minutes as they are effective.

If you were a player coming into the league right now, and you were playing your prime for one of the coaches, would you rather play for the guy who is going to play you for 30-33 minutes and let you rest to rest your joints, or a guy who will give you old school minutes at 38+ minutes so you can show your stuff and impact that game more, but perhaps not have as much longevity.

I get the feeling that guys likes Westy and Kobe would want a coach like Thibs, where KD, or AD would content to play with Pop.

JV35
04-16-2015, 07:55 PM
I disagree with the premise that they are the "two best coaches in the league right now".

But, between them, I'd take Pop in a landslide.

SPURSFAN1
04-16-2015, 07:55 PM
Carlisle is the 2nd best coach in the league.

tredigs
04-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Well Duncan didn't play 29-33 mpg until his mid 30's. When he was younger he was their horse; averaged more MPG in his first 7 years (>39 mpg) than any player played this season. After year after year of deep playoff runs that started to rightly taper off in his 30's. TP played 33 mpg pretty much his entire prime, so that's on the lighter side but not crazy.

Anyway, definitely Pop. He's clearly a much better coach than Thibs and won't ground you into a nub. I would also disagree that Thibs is a consensus top 2 coach. I think you're in the minority there.

JasonJohnHorn
04-16-2015, 08:04 PM
I disagree with the premise that they are the "two best coaches in the league right now".

But, between them, I'd take Pop in a landslide.

I didn't say 'are', I said 'are regarded by most'. But that isn't even point of the thread. This isn't a 'who is a better coach', but 'what minutes would you prefer: 30-33 or 38+'.

JasonJohnHorn
04-16-2015, 08:05 PM
I would also disagree that Thibs is a consensus top 2 coach. I think you're in the minority there.

I didn't use the word 'consensus'.

tredigs
04-16-2015, 08:10 PM
I didn't use the word 'consensus'.

Pop and Thibs are likely regarded by most as the two best coaches in the league right now

^That's what consensus means chief.

Anyway, I gave my opinion: It's a slightly false premise, but Pop.

Sadds The Gr8
04-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Pop ez

goingfor28
04-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Carlisle is the 2nd best coach in the league.
I would agree w this. Jim Carey is a great coach

Pop is clear cut #1

flea
04-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Well Duncan didn't play 29-33 mpg until his mid 30's. When he was younger he was their horse; averaged more MPG in his first 7 years (>39 mpg) than any player played this season. After year after year of deep playoff runs that started to rightly taper off in his 30's. TP played 33 mpg pretty much his entire prime, so that's on the lighter side but not crazy.

Anyway, definitely Pop. He's clearly a much better coach than Thibs and won't ground you into a nub. I would also disagree that Thibs is a consensus top 2 coach. I think you're in the minority there.

Agreed, this "minutes management" explanation for Spurs success is just like some Jalen Rose talking point. Duncan puts most people to shame when it comes to the amount of minutes he's played in the regular season - and in the playoffs he has no equal for MP. Parker and Ginobili always played less than other "stars" but I think it's more about their role in the Spurs system than anything. Both guys play with the ball a lot, and expend a lot of energy offensively. Parker is a purely one-way player, while Ginobili's style of defense is more about activity than it is about discipline.

The only strange thing about Pop is that he has 12 players avaiable every night and he uses most of them even though he his top 7 are fantastic too. He can do this because he has the players that don't bring demands to him, unlike most NBA players. It seems quaint now but there was a time when NBA players actually didn't want to leave the game for a rest (and certainly not for a midseason vacation).

R. Johnson#3
04-17-2015, 09:41 PM
No disrespect to Thibs but this shouldn't even be a question. Pop is in a league of his own.

Shammyguy3
04-17-2015, 09:52 PM
In response to the question that this thread is asking: in my prime, which coach would I want managing my minutes? Well, it doesn't matter. All of the all-time greats play 36-42mpg every game for seasons on end in the middle of their 20s. Pops did the exact same thing Thibs is doing with Jimmy Butler, and what he did with Luol Deng.

blahblahyoutoo
04-17-2015, 09:56 PM
thibs, most 2nd in overrated next to Doc.

Redrum187
04-18-2015, 12:27 AM
Carlisle is the 2nd best coach, so the answer is quite easily Pop.

1.) Pop
2.) Carlisle

3.) ?

BornReady
04-18-2015, 01:04 AM
Pops
Carlisle
Thibs
Rivers

Shammyguy3
04-18-2015, 02:11 AM
It's not my intention to hijack this thread, but if I could get a couple of responses for why people find Carlisle and/or Rivers as a superior coach to Thibs?

BornReady
04-18-2015, 03:08 AM
Thibs really struggled to adjust vs the Heat in 2011 ECF, while Carlisle's coaching on the other hand, was a huge part why the Mavs beat the Heat in 2011, also last years 7 game series vs the Champs proved that he's the only coach who can go toe to toe with Pops

Hope they meet again this year in the second round

mngopher35
04-18-2015, 03:57 AM
Ya this is really easy, pop for sure. I get what you are saying with the resting vs. going all out but that is partially due to their age too.

Shammyguy3
04-18-2015, 11:33 PM
Thibs really struggled to adjust vs the Heat in 2011 ECF, while Carlisle's coaching on the other hand, was a huge part why the Mavs beat the Heat in 2011, also last years 7 game series vs the Champs proved that he's the only coach who can go toe to toe with Pops

Hope they meet again this year in the second round

what did Thibs not do that he should have done against the Heat in the 2011 playoffs? Rose was playing like garbage, even worse than he played most of this season. Boozer was playing with turf toe, and Asik was injured in game 4.

More-Than-Most
04-19-2015, 12:08 AM
The disrespect honestly... Nobody is close to pop.

Stunner
04-19-2015, 06:46 AM
what did Thibs not do that he should have done against the Heat in the 2011 playoffs? Rose was playing like garbage, even worse than he played most of this season. Boozer was playing with turf toe, and Asik was injured in game 4.

People forget how offensively challenged that roster was in terms of creators . Rose was the only one and was in the backcourt with Keith Bogans .

alexander_37
04-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Pop is a hard guy to play for for some people but hes my kind of coach.

As for the minutes honestly id trust the coach they can often tell if you need to rest better than you do sometimes.