PDA

View Full Version : Pick your Western Conference playoff upset

NOsportsFAN
04-16-2015, 12:25 AM
With the Western Conference seeding set, what match up do you think is most likely to be an upset? And what upset would you like to see most?

1.Warriors
8.Pelicans

2.Houston
7.Dallas

3.Clippers
6.Spurs

4.Blazerz
6.Grizzlies

I'll start

Most likely:Spurs over Clippers
Spurs could have been the second seed up until final game of season.

Upset I want: Pelicans over Warrior
Yes I am a Pelicans fan but I like pulling for the underdog!

FlashBolt
04-16-2015, 12:42 AM
Pelicans vs Warriors and Clippers vs Spurs are the only two possible upsets.

Most likely upset between these two scenarios: Clippers beats Spurs.
Upset I want: Clippers beat Spurs. I want to see GSW in the Finals TBH. Would make for a compelling series.

lakerfan85
04-16-2015, 12:46 AM
Spurs and the Mavs..

BornReady
04-16-2015, 12:52 AM
Dallas going to beat the Rockets

Bostonjorge
04-16-2015, 01:04 AM
Clippers will upset the Spurs.

TylerSL
04-16-2015, 01:07 AM
I would pick Memphis over Portland as the most likely to happen, and I believe San Antonio will beat Los Angeles too. Houston-Dallas could go 7, and the Pelicans could at least make it interesting.

TylerSL
04-16-2015, 01:08 AM
Clippers will upset the Spurs.

a 3 seed can't upset a 6 seed.

goingfor28
04-16-2015, 01:12 AM
I don't think most people favor the clippers. Idk what the odds are but them winning would probably be considered an upset by a lot of people.

BornReady

all those teams basically have the same record so the 2nd seed - 6th seed should be looked at which team is simply better and Spurs are a better team, so he can call an upset on that

Bostonjorge

Only when the 6th seed is the defending champs and have the same championship team.

Cal827
04-16-2015, 01:24 AM
Pelicans will beat the Warriors.

Tony_Starks
04-16-2015, 01:37 AM
Hard to call anything in the Wild West a upset but Rick Carlisle is very capable of pulling a rabbit out of his hat in round one, plus Rondo is extremely reliable in the playoffs.....

BornReady
04-16-2015, 01:38 AM
Hard to call anything in the Wild West a upset but Rick Carlisle is very capable of pulling a rabbit out of his hat in round one, plus Rondo is extremely reliable in the playoffs.....

Let's go!!

KG2TB
04-16-2015, 01:38 AM
Mavs over rockets

FlashBolt
04-16-2015, 01:40 AM
I have Mavs beating Rockets 4-2. Betting against Nowitzki in the playoffs? Not a good bet you want to take.

Tony_Starks
04-16-2015, 01:52 AM

Let's go!!

Oh snap you're a Mavs fan? Well you're in luck, this is probably the one team they would pick to play against.....

Vinny642
04-16-2015, 01:53 AM
Lets get these W's Pels

BornReady
04-16-2015, 02:06 AM
Oh snap you're a Mavs fan? Well you're in luck, this is probably the one team they would pick to play against.....

wouldnt call myself a fan fan, but I do like the Mavs a lot in the West and predicted them to get to the finals all the way back in pre season before Rondo ruined everything lol

Sadds The Gr8
04-16-2015, 03:08 AM
Seeds are irrelevant here. Spurs will definitely be the betting favorite.

I don't see an upset happening but I think the best chance of one is Dallas over Houston. Would like it a lot if Parsons was healthy

BKLYNpigeon
04-16-2015, 09:59 AM
It would be an upset if the Pelicans beat the Warriors. The other games are a coin toss. It should a fun first round (in the West).

Clippersfan86
04-16-2015, 10:03 AM
I think the Pelicans can actually push the Warriors to the limits, so them first. People don't realize that talent wise there isn't a big disparity between these teams as you'd expect for a 1 and 8 seed. The bigger disparity is mentally. Golden State is tougher, more physical and more experienced. If Pelicans can steal one of the first two in GS though, it can become a series.

Also the Clippers are the second choice. People saying it can't be an upset need to look at Vegas odds and merely read articles and forums lately. The Spurs are being considered the best in the league, the Clippers pretenders by most. So you bet it would be an upset even as the higher seed. Plus the Spurs are the defending champs for a reason.

lamzoka
04-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Spurs will beat the Clippers

Dallas will beat the Rockets

Pelicans will beat the Dubs (wishful thinking)

Grizz over Blazers

Moyaz
04-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Dallas Over Rockets
Spurs Over Clippers is not an upset, Spurs are the favorites one to win this series.

I want Boston to Beat Cleveland !!

LakersIn5
04-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Nets and pelicans

Vinny642
04-16-2015, 03:34 PM
I think the Pelicans can actually push the Warriors to the limits, so them first. People don't realize that talent wise there isn't a big disparity between these teams as you'd expect for a 1 and 8 seed. The bigger disparity is mentally. Golden State is tougher, more physical and more experienced. If Pelicans can steal one of the first two in GS though, it can become a series.

Also the Clippers are the second choice. People saying it can't be an upset need to look at Vegas odds and merely read articles and forums lately. The Spurs are being considered the best in the league, the Clippers pretenders by most. So you bet it would be an upset even as the higher seed. Plus the Spurs are the defending champs for a reason.

I dont really like the term more experienced.
Cole has a ring, also QPon has been in it too. The Warriors are experienced at losing in the first round I guess.

ISIAH_THOMAS
04-16-2015, 03:35 PM
Mavs over Rockets if there was one

Spurs over Clips is not an upset

Thumper 88
04-16-2015, 04:08 PM
Mavs in 6

Saddletramp
04-16-2015, 05:06 PM
The only possible upsets are GS losing to the Pels (which I don't think will happen) and the Rockets losing to the Mavs. If I had to pick one, I guess the Mavs getting lucky but I doubt it.

I guess the Blazers beating the Grizz might be considered an upset with all the injuries but the Grizz have their fair share, too.

lakerfan85
04-16-2015, 05:27 PM
I dont really like the term more experienced.
Cole has a ring, also QPon has been in it too. The Warriors are experienced at losing in the first round I guess.

They made it to the second round 2 years ago..

brandt
04-16-2015, 07:21 PM
Everyone saying the Pelicans and Mavericks, are smoking crack. Especially the one's saying Pelicans. The OP said most likely, not who you want to see pull off the upset. Golden State and The Rockets, beat their upcoming opponents for the playoffs in the regular season, 3 to 1. Golden State finished 11 games better than the Pelicans, and the Rockets finished 6 games better than Dallas. Most likely to pull off an upset are the Spurs, especially the way they have been playing as of late. Grizzlies would be my next pick.

tredigs
04-16-2015, 07:21 PM

You think? I don't see it. They have the advantage at starting PF (where he'll be going up against an All NBA 1st Team defensive 4/5), in no other facet of talent, team chemistry, coaching, bench, offensive or defensive efficiency/production do they have the advantage imo. What is your argument for NOR?

My upset pick if I had to make one is LAC over SAS in 7. That HCA in a potential game 7 is a big deal. I give 'em a 40% chance to take the series.

JV35
04-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Most likely:Spurs over Clippers

No kidding.

I wouldn't even consider a Spurs win an "upset".

tredigs
04-16-2015, 07:33 PM
Oh, yeah, to be clear I'm considering the Spurs the favorite because they are. But if you go by just seeding then yeah, obviously Spurs over Clips is the most likely. But it's also the most likely the other way, if that makes sense.

kobe4thewinbang
04-16-2015, 08:39 PM
It's gotta be the Clippers. If they defeat the defending champs...it'll be big news, considering the twist of fate that kept the Spurs from currently being 2-time defending champions.

Thumper 88
04-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Everyone saying the Pelicans and Mavericks, are smoking crack. Especially the one's saying Pelicans. The OP said most likely, not who you want to see pull off the upset. Golden State and The Rockets, beat their upcoming opponents for the playoffs in the regular season, 3 to 1. Golden State finished 11 games better than the Pelicans, and the Rockets finished 6 games better than Dallas. Most likely to pull off an upset are the Spurs, especially the way they have been playing as of late. Grizzlies would be my next pick.
Misleading those numbers are. The Mavs got the rocket on the back end of a b2b all 4 games.

Thumper 88
04-16-2015, 10:27 PM
Spurs are the Vegas favorites so how can they be the upset by winning?

tredigs
04-16-2015, 10:46 PM
Spurs are the Vegas favorites so how can they be the upset by winning?

That's sort of what I meant with my 2nd post. If we're going purely by seeding then my answer is San Antonio obviously. But on paper for 1st round matchups it's the Clippers over San Antonio. Also, Portland has the higher seed due to winning their division, but with more wins Memphis actually has HCA and are the favorites with how banged up Portland is.

But actually the Cavs and Warriors are tied as the Vegas favorites to win it all (both basically 2 to 1). The Spurs are third at 4 to 1 and everyone else is listed at >15 to 1.

THE MTL
04-16-2015, 10:52 PM
Clippers upsetting the Spurs! Lets go CP3!

brandt
04-17-2015, 03:19 AM
Misleading those numbers are. The Mavs got the rocket on the back end of a b2b all 4 games.

Good point. But you could also say that Howard, Beverly and Terrance Jones were never playing at the same time either though because of injuries, and they are 3 pretty important pieces when playing together. They still won't have Beverly, but the Mavs will have their work cut out for them especially with the way Harden has been playing.

BornReady
04-17-2015, 03:23 AM
The reason Houston is going to lose in the first round is bc Beverley and D-mo are out for the season and Howard, Tjones JUST came back. we all saw the last two weeks how Houston struggled a bit bc the entire year harden was running the show with d-mo and Ariza as second and third options and now they will have trouble bc harden has to get used to playing with those two all over again. especially if howard doesn't play like he did in last years playoffs, I just don't see them coming out on top bc Harden hasn't proved yet in the past that he's a playoff killer. what was it last year one game? 35 points on 37 FGAs...shiiiii but we shall see how he handles it this year, he's an improved player but needs the rest of the team to step up big

Jeffy25
04-17-2015, 03:59 AM
I mean....Spurs over Clippers I think is by far the most likely (a 5 beating a 4 isn't an upset in the emotional sense)

I guess Pelicans COULD upset the Warriors, but it's not something I would even bother placing a minimal bet on.

valade16
04-17-2015, 09:25 AM
For the life of me I cannot see how so many people think the Pelicans can upset the Warriors.

Thumper 88
04-17-2015, 10:03 AM
For the life of me I cannot see how so many people think the Pelicans can upset the Warriors.

I agree

GREATNESS ONE
04-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Spurs and the Mavs..

Taking this.

Iron24th
04-17-2015, 11:19 AM
Pelicans vs Warriors and Clippers vs Spurs are the only two possible upsets. Most likely upset between these two scenarios: Clippers beats Spurs.
Upset I want: Clippers beat Spurs. I want to see GSW in the Finals TBH. Would make for a compelling series.

Excuse me?! Dallas could beat Houston in a 7 games series without HCA.

Sly Guy
04-17-2015, 01:00 PM
Spurs and the Mavs..

those would be my calls too. West playoffs is always a dog fight.....lookin forward to it

BornReady
04-18-2015, 12:49 AM

I'm quite confused on that too. If it was OKC with healthy KD and serge, then yes but Pelicans? eehhh

ewing
04-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Griz take out GS in 6- round two

Mr.B
04-18-2015, 12:36 PM

Regular season series have almost zero impact on a playoff series. Playoffs are a completely different animal because teams can actually game plan for their opponent. Mavs/Spurs last year is a perfect example. Spurs won the regular season series last year 4-0 and every game was a blowout, yet in the playoffs the Mavs took them to 7 games.

cab6131
04-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Clips winning would be the upset pick.

ewing
04-19-2015, 09:38 PM
Griz take out GS in 6- round two

by guys a looking good through 1 half.