PDA

View Full Version : Knicks Jeopardizing Tank

Tony_Starks
04-14-2015, 12:32 PM
They've won 2 straight and decreased their chances of getting the number one pick behind the lowly Wolves. This is just so ironic/funny/sad at the same damn time. I don't support tank movements by any teams ever at any time but come on man! Why now? Out of all the times why now? Let those poor Knick fans have some hope.....

Cal827
04-14-2015, 12:36 PM
I think I read that if they win their final game and Philly Loses, then they fall even further when it comes to percentages.

If they somehow pick less than 4th overall in this draft, there will be some angry threads calling for the head of Fisher :laugh2:

Hawkeye15
04-14-2015, 12:40 PM
like it matters, the Wolves hold the worst record, and we know they will never be awarded the #1 pick. Ever.

Tony_Starks
04-14-2015, 12:40 PM
I think I read that if they win their final game and Philly Loses, then they fall even further when it comes to percentages.

If they somehow pick less than 4th overall in this draft, there will be some angry threads calling for the head of Fisher :laugh2:

It is going to be hilarious to see who can out-tank who for the final game. We're going to see D league call ups, 5 guard lineups, intentional delay of game technicals....

Chronz
04-14-2015, 12:42 PM
Yeah. Kinda dumb.

Tony_Starks
04-14-2015, 12:44 PM
like it matters, the Wolves hold the worst record, and we know they will never be awarded the #1 pick. Ever.

Your Laker/Kobe hatred is about to bring about the ultimate karma my man. Lakers get the #1 pick and your Wolves get #5!

Cal827
04-14-2015, 12:45 PM
It is going to be hilarious to see who can out-tank who for the final game. We're going to see D league call ups, 5 guard lineups, intentional delay of game technicals....

:laugh: Someone's gonna sign Ricky Davis for the primary reason of trying to score on their own basket.

I remember watching a game between the Raptors and Nets a few years back. It was both of their last games of the year, and they were tied for lottery pick positioning. Toronto tried to play their back-ups for the majority of the game, but New Jersey one upped us: They started Deshawn Stevenson..... at Power Forward.

lamzoka
04-14-2015, 12:47 PM
Yeah it's kinda stupid but then again the worst overall record does not guaranteed you the first overall pick in the draft. In fact the third worst team wins the lotto 6 times out of 10.

archdevil84
04-14-2015, 12:47 PM
Your Laker/Kobe hatred is about to bring about the ultimate karma my man. Lakers get the #1 pick and your Wolves get #5!

nah, the cavs wil probably win the #1 pick

Hawkeye15
04-14-2015, 12:50 PM

jokes on you, we can't fall any further than 4th hahahaha (I expect to drop to 2nd btw).

mightybosstone
04-14-2015, 01:01 PM
It's dumb, but at the same time, let's not forget that the lottery is still a lottery. Even with the worst record in the league, the Knicks aren't likely to get the first overall selection. The worst record just essentially guarantees that team a top 4 pick. And sure, having the 4th pick is obviously better than having the 5th pick and you want your chances to be as high as possible, but this isn't the NFL where your top pick is guaranteed.

PhillyFaninLA
04-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Funny thing is they aren't tanking, they are terrible. They where supposed to be a playoff team prior to the start of the season.

A tank and being terrible are different. Sixers, trading away contracts the past 2 years, acquiring a bunch of draft picks, a ton of cap space, and pieces like Noles, Embiid, and Saric...while hoping to get lucky to land the stud. They actually have some nice bench pieces.

The Knicks resigned Melo (I have no respect for him or the Knicks because if you can play in the allstar game you don't shut it down the next day).

They are bad, not tanking. Tanking teams don't sign guys like Melo, tanking teams trade guys like him.

mightybosstone
04-14-2015, 01:06 PM
Funny thing is they aren't tanking, they are terrible. They where supposed to be a playoff team prior to the start of the season.

A tank and being terrible are different. Sixers, trading away contracts the past 2 years, acquiring a bunch of draft picks, a ton of cap space, and pieces like Noles, Embiid, and Saric...while hoping to get lucky to land the stud. They actually have some nice bench pieces.

The Knicks resigned Melo (I have no respect for him or the Knicks because if you can play in the allstar game you don't shut it down the next day).

They are bad, not tanking. Tanking teams don't sign guys like Melo, tanking teams trade guys like him.

Mmm... I'd still absolutely call it tanking. A team with playoff aspirations at the start of the season can still tank, and that's exactly what's happening here. As soon as they knew they were done, they started imploding, trading off anybody with any decent trade value for assets and picks. And you said it yourself, Melo played in the All-Star game and then sat out. If the Knicks weren't tanking, would Melo do that? Hell no.

kingsdelez24
04-14-2015, 01:12 PM

:laugh: Someone's gonna sign Ricky Davis for the primary reason of trying to score on their own basket.

I remember watching a game between the Raptors and Nets a few years back. It was both of their last games of the year, and they were tied for lottery pick positioning. Toronto tried to play their back-ups for the majority of the game, but New Jersey one upped us: They started Deshawn Stevenson..... at Power Forward.

Didn't Ben Uzoh finish with a triple double in that game? Lol

2-ONE-5
04-14-2015, 01:19 PM
Yeah it's kinda stupid but then again the worst overall record does not guaranteed you the first overall pick in the draft. In fact the third worst team wins the lotto 6 times out of 10.

irrelevant thought. worst record still has best odds and thats what you want.

GiantsSwaGG
04-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Who cares, the Cavs will win the lottery again anyway

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-14-2015, 01:26 PM
You want #1 draft slot before the lottery. Cause last year as a Bucks fan we all knew if it went bad in the lottery worst we could drop was #4.

FraziersKnicks
04-14-2015, 01:27 PM
Tbh as long as we finish with the 2nd worst record we only have a 12% chance of falling out the top 4.

Obviously are chances at #1 go down, but only by 5%. I kinda secretly want us to get the 3rd pick so D'Angelo Russell just falls into our lap. Draft him, sign Monroe and some good defensive role players and I will be very happy.

Tony_Starks
04-14-2015, 01:29 PM

Im not saying tank like just throwing the season like what Philly is doing. They started the season with full intentions on competing, but once they shut Melo down and gave away Shump and JR I think they were full tank mode from that point on.

5ass
04-14-2015, 01:41 PM
Tbh as long as we finish with the 2nd worst record we only have a 12% chance of falling out the top 4.

Obviously are chances at #1 go down, but only by 5%. I kinda secretly want us to get the 3rd pick so D'Angelo Russell just falls into our lap. Draft him, sign Monroe and some good defensive role players and I will be very happy.
Ya i honestly see them drafting okafor and signing hibbert. Pacers would draft cauley stein and sign tobias harris. Thats what i think happens for those two teams.

PhillyFaninLA
04-14-2015, 01:55 PM
Mmm... I'd still absolutely call it tanking. A team with playoff aspirations at the start of the season can still tank, and that's exactly what's happening here. As soon as they knew they were done, they started imploding, trading off anybody with any decent trade value for assets and picks. And you said it yourself, Melo played in the All-Star game and then sat out. If the Knicks weren't tanking, would Melo do that? Hell no.

Tanking and losing are different.

Tanking and having a disappointing year are different.

They are not tanking, they are just bad.

PhillyFaninLA
04-14-2015, 01:56 PM
Im not saying tank like just throwing the season like what Philly is doing. They started the season with full intentions on competing, but once they shut Melo down and gave away Shump and JR I think they were full tank mode from that point on.

I don't agree but I respect and understand the view

PhillyFaninLA
04-14-2015, 01:57 PM
Ya i honestly see them drafting okafor and signing hibbert. Pacers would draft cauley stein and sign tobias harris. Thats what i think happens for those two teams.

Personally I'm hoping 2 teams currently outside of the top 5 get in the top 3 and either the Knicks, Minny, or Philly end up with the remaining pick

NYKnickFanatic
04-14-2015, 02:05 PM
You act like the players are out there to lose. No. The players are playing to actually try and win. Front office might be 'tanking' but the players are not. The players the Knicks have are just not good enough to win games but you get lucky once in a while.

mightybosstone
04-14-2015, 02:09 PM
Tanking and losing are different.

Tanking and having a disappointing year are different.

They are not tanking, they are just bad.

Agree to disagree. They started off the year just bad. Now they're bad AND tanking.

GiantsSwaGG
04-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Agree to disagree. They started off the year just bad. Now they're bad AND tanking.

We suck, sucking and tanking are the sixers. We just flat out suck so he's right

LongIslandIcedZ
04-14-2015, 02:30 PM

I think this pretty wrong.

1. Benching Melo after the All-star game is a tanking move. Like you said, if he was healthy enough to play in the all star game, you dont shut it down. Unless you're tanking. Obviously I have no proof, but if the Knicks were in first, Melo wouldnt have been shut down.

2. "Tanking teams don't sign guys like Melo, tanking teams trade guys like him." They werent tanking when they signed him. They started off the season with all intention of making a playoff run, realized they sucked, then started to tank for the first pick. Tanking isnt always a multi-year plan. It makes perfect sense for the Knicks to trade their contracts away and free up cap space.

3. Knicks and Sixers are both tanking. There is no set rules for what constitutes a tank. Sixers are probably in a better position, but it doesnt mean that they are tanking and the Knicks arent. I'd prefer the Sixers method, but the Knicks are doing what they can with the hand they were dealt (lack of draft picks, no young assets).

This post just seems like someone who really hates the Knicks.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Knicks are back!

nycericanguy
04-14-2015, 02:55 PM
Knicks got rid of Amare, JR, Shump, Dally, & Prigs, and got no one in return... and then they shut down Melo...they absolutely are tanking.

But hey at least they TRIED to win early in the year, Phil was just smart enough to realize it wasn't working and moved on.

Tony_Starks
04-14-2015, 02:55 PM

Personally I'm hoping 2 teams currently outside of the top 5 get in the top 3 and either the Knicks, Minny, or Philly end up with the remaining pick

I'd like to see Lakers, Knicks, Orlando, Wolves, Philly. In that order.

Hearing the conspiracy theorist and small market fans outraged cry about the NBA "rigging" the draft to put the Lakers/Knicks on top would be pure comedy, even tho both teams have horrible records...

mightybosstone
04-14-2015, 03:09 PM
I think this pretty wrong.

1. Benching Melo after the All-star game is a tanking move. Like you said, if he was healthy enough to play in the all star game, you dont shut it down. Unless you're tanking. Obviously I have no proof, but if the Knicks were in first, Melo wouldnt have been shut down.

2. "Tanking teams don't sign guys like Melo, tanking teams trade guys like him." They werent tanking when they signed him. They started off the season with all intention of making a playoff run, realized they sucked, then started to tank for the first pick. Tanking isnt always a multi-year plan. It makes perfect sense for the Knicks to trade their contracts away and free up cap space.

3. Knicks and Sixers are both tanking. There is no set rules for what constitutes a tank. Sixers are probably in a better position, but it doesnt mean that they are tanking and the Knicks arent. I'd prefer the Sixers method, but the Knicks are doing what they can with the hand they were dealt (lack of draft picks, no young assets).

This post just seems like someone who really hates the Knicks.

Pretty much this. Plus the fact that the Knicks dealt Shumpert, Smith and Prigioni for picks and prospects. Those are tanking moves. And, no, it's not tanking to the extent that a team like Philly is tanking, but it's still tanking nonetheless. "Tanking" isn't exactly a black and white term that teams either are or aren't doing. If you are not a good basketball team and you make moves or sit players because you'd rather not win any more basketball games, then that's tanking in my opinion.

KnicksorBust
04-14-2015, 04:35 PM
If you don't think Phil has his own frozen envelope then you are not zen.

TheNumber37
04-14-2015, 04:52 PM
How often does the team with the worst record get the 1st pick?

The knicks thinking is forced on Towns/okafor

I actually think it would be wonderful if they ended up with the 3rd or 4th and got Russell/Winslow.

I think people want to play with Russell more than Towns/okafor

KnicksorBust
04-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Nate Silver trolled the Knicks:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/a-simple-knicks-proof-proposal-to-improve-the-nbas-draft-lottery/

TheNumber37
04-14-2015, 04:56 PM
Knicks won't win 1st overall. The NBA Hates the knicks. It's more likely that Phili or the magic snag the 1st overall... Look out for Miami, haha

PhillyFaninLA
04-14-2015, 05:33 PM
I'd like to see Lakers, Knicks, Orlando, Wolves, Philly. In that order.

Hearing the conspiracy theorist and small market fans outraged cry about the NBA "rigging" the draft to put the Lakers/Knicks on top would be pure comedy, even tho both teams have horrible records...

If the Lakers don't get number 6 than I don't care where they get....If the Lakers get number one I'm fine with that, I care about the Sixers and the Lakers pick being number 6 makes the Sixers a better team

Cal827
04-14-2015, 10:20 PM
Didn't Ben Uzoh finish with a triple double in that game? Lol

:laugh: **** I forgot about that, he played like 47 mins to get it.

Here's the recap of that glorious game :laugh2:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201204260TOR.html