PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs have reached 50 wins for the 16th straight season

Purch
04-03-2015, 10:50 PM
18th straight season if you count the 50 game lockout season in which they won 37 games and the championship

FlashBolt
04-03-2015, 10:52 PM
The most successful NBA franchise behind Lakers/Celtics.

WOwolfOL
04-04-2015, 12:22 AM
So basically David Robinson's broken foot was a well disguised stroke of immeasurable good fortune.

ISIAH_THOMAS
04-04-2015, 12:30 AM
Spurs are going to win the West.

JasonJohnHorn
04-04-2015, 12:47 AM
50+ win or equivalent winning percentage for 18 years! WOW!!

The next longest current playoff streak is 7 years from the Bulls (only two of which were 50 or more wins).
Then the Heat with 5 (six assuming they make the playoffs this year).
OKC also has 5 and will likewise have six assuming they clinch that final spot.

It's pretty incredible that the next longest consecutive playoff streak is only on third the length, and no 50+ win season streak is even that high.

naps
04-04-2015, 12:51 AM
Greatest basketball team since Jordan's Bulls, by far. Incredible consistency of pure dominance. Pop and Duncan should be hailed as good as any coach-player duo in NBA history.

FlashBolt
04-04-2015, 07:03 AM
18 seasons.. Meaning, if you were born in 1996, they have been winning 50+ games since (lockout year exclusion).

JasonJohnHorn
04-04-2015, 09:19 AM
18 seasons.. Meaning, if you were born in 1996, they have been winning 50+ games since (lockout year exclusion).

Yeah... kids born in the mid 90's have never seen a season where the Spurs weren't a contender. Crazy!

JasonJohnHorn
04-04-2015, 09:22 AM
So basically David Robinson's broken foot was a well disguised stroke of immeasurable good fortune.

Other teams picked up all-time greats on draft day and haven't had this kind of consistency. See the Lakers and Kobe. Dallas and Dirk. Garnett and the T-Wolves. Miami and Wade.

They were VERY lucky to get Duncan, but their drafting and development over the years hasn't been luck, and that, as much as Duncan's presence, is the reason for their consistency.

basch152
04-04-2015, 10:13 AM
I was going to say something about the Wings postseason streak, but considering the current race for the last 2-3 seeds and games left to play, I'm just going to STFU.

Clippersfan86
04-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Amazing. Spurs will be remembered as one of the greatest dynasties. They set the bar on how an organization should be run. I feel like currently basketball fans take the Spurs for granted because we are so used to their greatness.

KnicksorBust
04-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Tim Duncan 4th greatest player in NBA history.

IversonIsKrazy
04-04-2015, 05:16 PM
I started watching NBA in 2001, I am yet to see them as a non-threat lol. AMazing

AllBall
04-05-2015, 12:00 AM
Yet, people still sleeping on them

kobe4thewinbang
04-05-2015, 12:07 AM
Spurs still got a chance...especially if OKC knocks off the Warriors.

More-Than-Most
04-05-2015, 12:17 AM
might be one of the most impressive things ever... Like legit shocked at this for some reason... Pop to me is Goat.... Its a joke that people think Phil is a better coach... Give Pop MJ and those bulls teams or Kobe/Shaq. I think its a slap in the face to pop if people honestly think Phil is better.

TylerSL
04-05-2015, 12:34 AM
Its the 18th straight season. They should just amend that the Spurs 37-13 season in 98-99 counts as a 50 win season because that's on pace to a 60 win season. So for me, I have always added the extra 2 years to their current streak. I'm hoping they can do it for 2 more years so it can be 20 years of 50 wins.

Just an insane streak, one that will never be replicated. It's the greatest sustained success ever seen in any sport. Sure teams like the 60's Celtics and 90's Bulls had better short term runs winning 11 titles in 13 years and 6 titles in 8 respectively, but the Spurs have sustained their success far longer than either of those franchises did, and 5 titles in 15 years is no joke either. The Spurs have made the playoffs 18 years in a row, this season included (the all time record is 22 straight season btw), but also 25 times in the last 26 years. A streak like this will never be seen again. Personally, I am pulling for them to win 50 games next year and the year after that so they can have 20 straight 50 win seasons by all accounts, and I hope they make the playoffs for the next 5 seasons after this so they can break the record for consecutive seasons making the playoffs. At this point, that franchise deserves it.

basch152
04-05-2015, 06:27 AM
Its the 18th straight season. They should just amend that the Spurs 37-13 season in 98-99 counts as a 50 win season because that's on pace to a 60 win season. So for me, I have always added the extra 2 years to their current streak. I'm hoping they can do it for 2 more years so it can be 20 years of 50 wins.

Just an insane streak, one that will never be replicated. It's the greatest sustained success ever seen in any sport. Sure teams like the 60's Celtics and 90's Bulls had better short term runs winning 11 titles in 13 years and 6 titles in 8 respectively, but the Spurs have sustained their success far longer than either of those franchises did, and 5 titles in 15 years is no joke either. The Spurs have made the playoffs 18 years in a row, this season included (the all time record is 22 straight season btw), but also 25 times in the last 26 years. A streak like this will never be seen again. Personally, I am pulling for them to win 50 games next year and the year after that so they can have 20 straight 50 win seasons by all accounts, and I hope they make the playoffs for the next 5 seasons after this so they can break the record for consecutive seasons making the playoffs. At this point, that franchise deserves it.

The patriots success is pretty much equivalent, in a league where wins and playoffs are FAR harder to come by. 12 straight 10 win seasons in the NFL is unreal, 14 straight 9 win seasons.

JasonJohnHorn
04-05-2015, 08:19 AM
might be one of the most impressive things ever... Like legit shocked at this for some reason... Pop to me is Goat.... Its a joke that people think Phil is a better coach... Give Pop MJ and those bulls teams or Kobe/Shaq. I think its a slap in the face to pop if people honestly think Phil is better.

In defense of those who pick Phil, he had 18 seasons as coach with 50 or more win and was NEVER under .500 as a coach. That is pretty impressive.

More-Than-Most
04-05-2015, 10:23 AM
In defense of those who pick Phil, he had 18 seasons as coach with 50 or more win and was NEVER under .500 as a coach. That is pretty impressive.

He has 2 of the 4 best players ever and one of those 1 were the best player ever and 2 of the best all around teams ever.

Purch
04-05-2015, 10:39 AM

He had 17

In 1994-95 he went 47-35
In 2005-2006 he went 45-37
In 2006-2007 he went 42-40

KnicksorBust
04-05-2015, 10:47 AM

Pop does not win 11 rings coaching the Bulls and Lakers.

More-Than-Most
04-05-2015, 11:03 AM

of course its easy to assume that because again its 11 rings but for alll we know he could or could have more... Sorry but Rings are cool and all but its not the end all argument... Pop has done more with less... I think Timmy is amazing but the spurs teams are not the lakers/Bulls teams... Phil is amazing but He had one of the most dominate players ever and the GOAT along side some of the most stacked teams we have ever seen.

Purch
04-05-2015, 01:48 PM
This isn't even a Pop vs Phil thread..

IKnowHoops
04-05-2015, 02:05 PM
This is one of those things that Pop has on Phil that bolster his argument as G.O.A.T coach. He is the best coach in NBA history in my book...at least my lifetime of watching. I think Pop is the best coach in sports history.

More-Than-Most
04-05-2015, 05:04 PM
This isn't even a Pop vs Phil thread..

It is to a point... They are the 2 best minds and coaches of all time. When one does something like this and one person thinks he is the goat it will always lead to a debate between the top 2. These 2 guys are the cream of the crop

R. Johnson#3
04-05-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm 25 years old. In my lifetime, there has been no better franchise in all of sports than the San Antonio Spurs. The closest would be the Yankees.

KnicksorBust
04-05-2015, 05:34 PM

of course its easy to assume that because again its 11 rings but for alll we know he could or could have more... Sorry but Rings are cool and all but its not the end all argument... Pop has done more with less... I think Timmy is amazing but the spurs teams are not the lakers/Bulls teams... Phil is amazing but He had one of the most dominate players ever and the GOAT along side some of the most stacked teams we have ever seen.

Its not even debatable. Pop is a disciplinarian. Can you imagine him trying to check MJ or Kobe or Shaq?? Lmao.

D-Leethal
04-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Its not even debatable. Pop is a disciplinarian. Can you imagine him trying to check MJ or Kobe or Shaq?? Lmao.

I was gonna come in and post this. I honestly might give Pop the edge over Phil all things considered, but to say Pop would waltz in and manage those egos AND keep them focused to three peat is not reasonable just because Pop had has success in his own way with a completely different cast of personalities and talents.

Pop hasn't been able to put together a back to back let alone a three peat. It takes a special leader to administer 3 straight titles.

slashsnake
04-06-2015, 01:01 AM
This is one of those things that Pop has on Phil that bolster his argument as G.O.A.T coach. He is the best coach in NBA history in my book...at least my lifetime of watching. I think Pop is the best coach in sports history.

It makes it closer for sure.

But both Pop and Phil have seventeen 50 win seasons.

Pop is the only one of the two to ever have a losing season.

He still needs to raise up his win% to catch Phil. If Popovich goes 82-0 next year, he still would be behind Phil in win %.

He still needs another 138 regular season wins and another 80 playoff wins (basically Pop + Chuck Daly and you ALMOST have enough playoff wins to equal Phil)

He needs another 7 conference championships to tie Phil

He needs another 6 rings to tie Phil. (basically Pop + Pat, and you are still behind in championships)..

If you pick Pop's most successful season, Phil has 5 that are better.

Pop needs to win his division twice more to catch Phil.

Pop needs 7 more 10 win post-seasons to catch Phil (and already has double the number of 4 win or less post-seasons).

16 straight 50 win seasons is nice, but to beat out #1 all time win%, #1 all time games over .500, #1 all time playoff win %, #1 all time championship series and games coached, and #1 all time championships won I think you need a little more.

I get that Phil got some great players to work together to win. But so has Pop. For every "Phil has Jordan or Kobe" there's the same argument that the flip of a coin didn't make Popovich the coach that took Keith Van Horn #2 overall. And of Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, and Jordan, the only player with a 50 win season without one of those guys was Phil winning 57 games in Chicago with no Jordan.

When it comes to the greatest to ever do something, I usually tend to side with those that accomplished the most over those who didn't but had excuses.

More-Than-Most
04-06-2015, 01:22 AM
It makes it closer for sure.

But both Pop and Phil have seventeen 50 win seasons.

Pop is the only one of the two to ever have a losing season.

He still needs to raise up his win% to catch Phil. If Popovich goes 82-0 next year, he still would be behind Phil in win %.

He still needs another 138 regular season wins and another 80 playoff wins (basically Pop + Chuck Daly and you ALMOST have enough playoff wins to equal Phil)

He needs another 7 conference championships to tie Phil

He needs another 6 rings to tie Phil. (basically Pop + Pat, and you are still behind in championships)..

If you pick Pop's most successful season, Phil has 5 that are better.

Pop needs to win his division twice more to catch Phil.

Pop needs 7 more 10 win post-seasons to catch Phil (and already has double the number of 4 win or less post-seasons).

16 straight 50 win seasons is nice, but to beat out #1 all time win%, #1 all time games over .500, #1 all time playoff win %, #1 all time championship series and games coached, and #1 all time championships won I think you need a little more.

I get that Phil got some great players to work together to win. But so has Pop. For every "Phil has Jordan or Kobe" there's the same argument that the flip of a coin didn't make Popovich the coach that took Keith Van Horn #2 overall. And of Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, and Jordan, the only player with a 50 win season without one of those guys was Phil winning 57 games in Chicago with no Jordan.

When it comes to the greatest to ever do something, I usually tend to side with those that accomplished the most over those who didn't but had excuses.

You cant just ignore the talent level and use accolades at determining something... Its similar to how people think James is already ahead of Kobe on the all time list and so on.... Phil has had 2 of the best teams to ever step on the court.... Pop has had talent around him but not close to the likes of which PJ has had in my opinion.

slashsnake
04-06-2015, 04:31 AM
You cant just ignore the talent level and use accolades at determining something... Its similar to how people think James is already ahead of Kobe on the all time list and so on.... Phil has had 2 of the best teams to ever step on the court.... Pop has had talent around him but not close to the likes of which PJ has had in my opinion.

I agree on that part. People do forget what players in the past have done and seem to hop on the guy who's newest to the game. I think this is why we are having this conversation. If Phil was winning his 11th championship last year and Pop had been out for 4-5 years with a 5 ring career we wouldn't be talking about this.

And I agree Phil has had more talent at the top. You can't ignore that. But you can't just say that having a better player is worth 5 rings either. Shaq won 60+ games multiple times before Phil. Jordan won 55 before Phil. They didn't have rings before him. Sure, if Tmac had better talent maybe he'd win 6 more rings and been better than Kobe and right up there with MJ. But until that happens, I am not ignoring 6 fewer championships.

And if you can't ignore talent... Pop has had a lot more talent than Chuck Daly ever had, even though Chuck is a lot closer to Pop in playoff success than Pop is to Phil (3 rings away vs. 6 rings away). So do we say Chuck is the best ever because he didn't have the talent of Pop but was twice as close to pop as pop is to Phil? What about Lenny Wilkins... Larry Brown? They won with a LOT less talent than Pop, and are closer to him in rings than Pop is to Phil too. Can you even name the best player on that Sonics team? Aren't they then better by that logic?

Your point is a good point. But like I said, for me, I know Phil can win 11 championships. I know he can win double digit games in 14 playoffs. I don't know if Pop could win no matter the scenario. So I will go with the guy who did that, rather than the guy who maybe could have. I don't know. Maybe Pop pisses off a "me first" superstar like Kobe, Shaq or Jordan. Maybe that implodes and he doesn't win a single ring? Maybe he wins 15? I don't know. I do know Phil won 11.

Phil Jackson 6-peated. (last 3 years in Chicago and first 3 in LA). Seriously... that is sick. What other coaches have championships in 6 straight years that they coached? Auerbach in the 50's/60's in an 8 team league... Wooden at UCLA? The greatest championship coaches ever. And this is the modern era, top level of basketball with the most teams and most parity. Not even Uconn Womens basketball can say that with Geno Auremmia (can't spell that).

I don't care the talent you have, I don't see Pop winning 6 straight championships. I don't see him winning 9 championships in 11 years. I'm going with the guy who did something rather than the guy who might have been able to meet or surpass in a different situation.

I don't mind your point, just that's mine when talking for the best of the best ever. Either do it or don't and get in line for the top 5 list with the reasons you didn't.

Purch
04-07-2015, 02:21 PM
It is to a point... They are the 2 best minds and coaches of all time. When one does something like this and one person thinks he is the goat it will always lead to a debate between the top 2. These 2 guys are the cream of the crop
I'm not necciserily sure they should automatically be put above Riley. Riley's ability to adept to Completly different cores, and be successful with different playstyles is unmatched in nba history.

Hawkeye15
04-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Death, taxes, and Spurs winning 50 games seems to be all that we know will happen.

goingfor28
04-08-2015, 02:23 AM
Another cool feat by the Spurs happened tonight:

Duncan, Ginobili and Tony Parker have now played the most games in NBA history as a trio (730), passing previous record-holders Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish.

-rotoworld

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-08-2015, 06:52 AM
I agree on that part. People do forget what players in the past have done and seem to hop on the guy who's newest to the game. I think this is why we are having this conversation. If Phil was winning his 11th championship last year and Pop had been out for 4-5 years with a 5 ring career we wouldn't be talking about this.

And I agree Phil has had more talent at the top. You can't ignore that. But you can't just say that having a better player is worth 5 rings either. Shaq won 60+ games multiple times before Phil. Jordan won 55 before Phil. They didn't have rings before him. Sure, if Tmac had better talent maybe he'd win 6 more rings and been better than Kobe and right up there with MJ. But until that happens, I am not ignoring 6 fewer championships.

And if you can't ignore talent... Pop has had a lot more talent than Chuck Daly ever had, even though Chuck is a lot closer to Pop in playoff success than Pop is to Phil (3 rings away vs. 6 rings away). So do we say Chuck is the best ever because he didn't have the talent of Pop but was twice as close to pop as pop is to Phil? What about Lenny Wilkins... Larry Brown? They won with a LOT less talent than Pop, and are closer to him in rings than Pop is to Phil too. Can you even name the best player on that Sonics team? Aren't they then better by that logic?

Your point is a good point. But like I said, for me, I know Phil can win 11 championships. I know he can win double digit games in 14 playoffs. I don't know if Pop could win no matter the scenario. So I will go with the guy who did that, rather than the guy who maybe could have. I don't know. Maybe Pop pisses off a "me first" superstar like Kobe, Shaq or Jordan. Maybe that implodes and he doesn't win a single ring? Maybe he wins 15? I don't know. I do know Phil won 11.

Phil Jackson 6-peated. (last 3 years in Chicago and first 3 in LA). Seriously... that is sick. What other coaches have championships in 6 straight years that they coached? Auerbach in the 50's/60's in an 8 team league... Wooden at UCLA? The greatest championship coaches ever. And this is the modern era, top level of basketball with the most teams and most parity. Not even Uconn Womens basketball can say that with Geno Auremmia (can't spell that).

I don't care the talent you have, I don't see Pop winning 6 straight championships. I don't see him winning 9 championships in 11 years. I'm going with the guy who did something rather than the guy who might have been able to meet or surpass in a different situation.

I don't mind your point, just that's mine when talking for the best of the best ever. Either do it or don't and get in line for the top 5 list with the reasons you didn't.

Am I missing something? Jackson never won 6 championships in consecutive years. Spurs won in 99.