PDA

View Full Version : Biggest surprises this season?

rockets-fan
03-26-2015, 12:51 PM
What are the biggest surprises rhis season in your opinion?

Imo, the Warriors and Hawks leading their conferences is a huge surprise. Not because they weren't capable of it but I just didn't expect them to be this freakingg good. I know the West is always open with the amount of talent it has but I would be shocked if GS didn't go to the finals.

Honorable mention:
Westbrooks triple double streak, dude is a man beast

Rockets earning the 3rd seed after being predicted to miss the playoffs

Loves minimal impact on the Cavs and his distance from the team

KD going down again.

goingfor28
03-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Hawks steam rolling thru the east. Definitely did not see that happening.
Also how poorly Spencer Hawes has played. Thought he'd be a good fit in LA

FraziersKnicks
03-26-2015, 01:04 PM
The Hawks having such a good record.

The Knicks having such a bad record. Was genuinely expecting us to fight for the 8th seed and hover around 40 wins. Actually so glad we haven't got stuck in that limbo position and sucked as bad as we have when there are some nice draft prospects.

I didn't expect the Cavs to be as good offensively as they have. Especially considering Love hasn't really been a big part of it. LeBron's arrival has helped Kyrie take that next step and become a top 5 PG in the league.

ewing
03-26-2015, 01:29 PM
Good thread

The Hawks are the oblivious answer. If anyone saw this record coming Kodos.

draymond green's emergence is one for me

kdspurman
03-26-2015, 01:41 PM
Rudy Gobert has been a bit of a surprise.

Hawks I thought would be good and one of the top teams in the east, but didn't think they would have been this good.

Cal827
03-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Hawks record has caught me off guard, that's for sure.

Houston able to stay near the top in the West is the other (also Golden State as the 1). Harden is having an MVP type season, and there are legitimate arguments that he should get it over Curry, but I'll never admit it, just so I can troll Bosstone.

Smaller Surprises: Indiana is still there fighting. After the hell they endured last off-season, losing their best player to a horrific injury, and another significant contributor in Stephenson... I thought they would end up with a high pick in the draft, then fight hard next season at the top, guess I was wrong.

Neither the Wizards or Raptors taking off to me was surprising to me too. Thought it would be a 4 team race for the 1 seed coming into this season, with Toronto/Washington being 3/4, but still very, very close to the top. Now, it looks like both teams are pretty much tanking to make sure that they get each other in the first round, cause pretty much anyone else can probably take them down :laugh2:

ewing
03-26-2015, 10:26 PM
Rudy Gobert has been a bit of a surprise.

Hawks I thought would be good and one of the top teams in the east, but didn't think they would have been this good.

is not a practice player? The first time i saw this guy, i was like holy ****! What can he actually do with a ball, and if its anything...

Tony_Starks
03-26-2015, 10:31 PM
Milwaukee Bucks not only refusing to join the tank trend but actually competing despite a new coach, Larry Sanders debacle, Parker injury, and Knight trade.

Mad props to them and J Kidd for being the team and coach nobody is talking about....

JasonJohnHorn
03-27-2015, 12:00 AM
I would go with the Hawks.

I certainly expected them to be good and in the playoffs, but I wasn't even anticipating home court in the first round for them.

The Warriros are not surprising to me, outside of the fact that Kerr is a first-year coach. They had the talent.
They've drafted well, and unlike OKC, paid to keep their players.

slaker619
03-27-2015, 12:29 AM
Hawks came out of no where balling & didn't expect Celtics/Pistons to still be playing good

sixer04fan
03-27-2015, 12:40 AM
The Sixers being this good, sadly, is pretty shocking to me. I thought we'd be in the running for worst record ever. Not only due to lack of talent, but mostly due to lack of experience and chemistry.

They've been coached into being a top 10 defense and certain players have come out of nowhere and developed quickly. We'll now finish with around 20 wins and have a better record than 2 or 3 other teams.

On top of that, we traded two of our better players at the deadline and continue to put together wins with D-League call ups and 2nd round picks starting for us.

ewing
03-27-2015, 01:14 AM
Milwaukee Bucks not only refusing to join the tank trend but actually competing despite a new coach, Larry Sanders debacle, Parker injury, and Knight trade.

Mad props to them and J Kidd for being the team and coach nobody is talking about....

the knight trade was real interesting b/c i like MCW but it was exactly what the bucks didn't need. more length and less shooting. i am actually rooting for the kid but it is an interesting move

ewing
03-27-2015, 01:17 AM
Hawks came out of no where balling & didn't expect Celtics/Pistons to still be playing good

the celtics winning any games is a giant surprise. I know the east is bad but on paper I thought these guys looked terrible and they might make the playoffs. kudos to them,

ewing
03-27-2015, 01:18 AM
The Sixers being this good, sadly, is pretty shocking to me. I thought we'd be in the running for worst record ever. Not only due to lack of talent, but mostly due to lack of experience and chemistry.

They've been coached into being a top 10 defense and certain players have come out of nowhere and developed quickly. We'll now finish with around 20 wins and have a better record than 2 or 3 other teams.

On top of that, we traded two of our better players at the deadline and continue to put together wins with D-League call ups and 2nd round picks starting for us.

you are an optimist

lol, please
03-27-2015, 01:55 AM
The biggest surprises to me: The Hawks being this good for this season. I don't think it's sustainable, but I don't want to take away from what I believe is a cinderella season.

The Knicks, thought they would be primed for a deep playoff run around this time back in the offseason.

Harden, how fans continue to blindly ignore his flaws and petty tactics, is crazy.

Tony_Starks
03-27-2015, 01:59 AM

the knight trade was real interesting b/c i like MCW but it was exactly what the bucks didn't need. more length and less shooting. i am actually rooting for the kid but it is an interesting move

To me that would've been more of a trade to do before the season started, but I guess they had to wait until Knights trade value was up to get it done. At least they get some good playoff experience this year though.....

ewing
03-27-2015, 02:05 AM
To me that would've been more of a trade to do before the season started, but I guess they had to wait until Knights trade value was up to get it done. At least they get some good playoff experience this year though.....

i think its interesting b/c they were doing well and I have no idea what direction they are going to take to try and build this team. I do see MCW as a guy that J Kidd might like. I would also assume J Kidd has a huge voice but i cant imagine him not being a win now guy that and and wondering if they are willing to spend make its interesting. It hope they just give him the reins but it almost seems like it might be a power clash waiting happen.

mrblisterdundee
03-27-2015, 02:34 AM
1. The Hawks are quote possibly the second-best team in the league, using a bunch of B-level talent that fits well together. Last year, they were in the middle of the league. Another surprise I'll include within the Hawks is Kyle Korver, a 33-year-old, spot-up shooter All-Star shooting nearly 50 percent from 3-point land.
2. Rudy Gobert is the main cog of a Utah Jazz defense that has been the best in the league since All-Star break. Utah's playing a very smart game.
3. The Pacers, sans Paul George and Lance Stephenson, are battling for a spot in the playoffs with a bunch of spare parts and eight players averaging between nine and 13 points per game 10 average between eight and 16. The offense is horrid, but the defense is earning them a trip to the postseason.
4. Russell Westbrook's shatters Kobe Bryant's usage rate and production from 2005-06.
5. Kevin Durant plays six more games this season than Greg Oden did his second season. Hopefully this isn't a pattern.

FlashBolt
03-27-2015, 02:38 AM
1. The Hawks are quote possibly the second-best team in the league, using a bunch of B-level talent that fits well together. Last year, they were in the middle of the league. Another surprise I'll include within the Hawks is Kyle Korver, a 33-year-old, spot-up shooter All-Star shooting nearly 50 percent from 3-point land.
2. Rudy Gobert is the main cog of a Utah Jazz defense that has been the best in the league since All-Star break. Utah's playing a very smart game.
3. The Pacers, sans Paul George and Lance Stephenson, are battling for a spot in the playoffs with a bunch of spare parts and eight players averaging between nine and 13 points per game 10 average between eight and 16. The offense is horrid, but the defense is earning them a trip to the postseason.
4. Russell Westbrook's shatters Kobe Bryant's usage rate and production from 2005-06.
5. Kevin Durant plays six more games this season than Greg Oden did his second season. Hopefully this isn't a pattern.

Uhhh, no Whiteside?

LA4life24/8
03-27-2015, 04:55 AM
The Hawks being this good (would surprise me more if they made it to the finals)
Golden state winning the west (would have predicted the clips or thunder beginning of the season)
The Lakers not being the very last seed with such a terrible roster lol (Homer pick)
Multiple players such as gobert green etc playing the way they have
Harden having been able to keep the rox rolling basically by himself

NBA-GMaster
03-27-2015, 05:03 AM
Hawks And Grizzlies are very suprising team from the bottom place in the last playoffs into the best teams this season..
Draymond Green And Hassan Whiteside very productive minutes and stats..
The fall of Knicks..
Bucks in playoffs race despite of Parker injury and Sanders departure.. Good job Jason Kidd..

Already guess that Westbrook and Harden will have an Mvp stats this season And Love stats will fall down just like Bosh in Miami trio..

kozelkid
03-27-2015, 10:23 AM
They've drafted well, and unlike OKC, paid to keep their players.

You sometimes amaze me with some of these baffling generalizations. I'm sure Harden would still be playing for the Thunder if either Westbrook or Durant were criminally underpaid like Curry is. Let's wait and see just how willing Warriors will be to give Green max this offseason because that's likely the offer that will be getting sent his way.

Capital G
03-27-2015, 11:09 AM
whiteside has to be #1.

hawks/warriors.

westy's play. he's always been great.... but man.

celtics fighting for playoff spot (although it is in the east)

gobert doesnt surprise me. he just needed to start.

HeatFan
03-27-2015, 11:22 AM
For me it is the Hawks record and them having so many players on the all-star team this year. Honorable Mention to Steve Kerr's Warrior being so insanely fun to watch and successful, which I also think is tied to the development of Draymond Green, which is a surprise in itself.

HeatFan
03-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Honestly another big surprise, although some could see it coming, for me is Lance Stephensons uselessness after an impressive playoffs last year.

cmellofan15
03-27-2015, 11:28 AM
The nuggets and shaw being so bad was surprising for me

Obviously the hawks and korver especially

Kyries improvement has been kinda surprising

Gobert and whiteside

ewing
03-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Honestly another big surprise, although some could see it coming, for me is Lance Stephensons uselessness after an impressive playoffs last year.

i predicted that. someone fine the thread! i think i actually said it could work but i did not like that back court on paper at all and that they were probably better off with Gerald Henderson

HeatFan
03-27-2015, 05:38 PM
i predicted that. someone fine the thread! i think i actually said it could work but i did not like that back court on paper at all and that they were probably better off with Gerald Henderson

Well congrats. However, for the most part it is a surprise. Fell from his high horse quicker than I'd expect.

Ty Fast
03-27-2015, 05:56 PM
I thought the spurs would be better

FlashBolt
03-27-2015, 06:22 PM

They were rotating all season with injuries. When healthy, they are still the best team in the NBA. It's just difficult to know because some days, Parker/Gino are practically useless but then there are days where Parker is putting up 26+ points.

kdspurman
03-27-2015, 07:15 PM
They were rotating all season with injuries. When healthy, they are still the best team in the NBA. It's just difficult to know because some days, Parker/Gino are practically useless but then there are days where Parker is putting up 26+ points.

Yea, I'm shocked people aren't aware of that even at this point. Their starting lineup has proven to be one of the best easily, just like last year. It just took time for everything to come together and everyone to shake the rust off.

Saw this graphic during on of the recent games- http://oi62.tinypic.com/xp93x2.jpg

Don't know if they will have a magical run in them like last year, but they are certainly one of the best in the business and when clicking on all cylinders, probably still the best.

HeatFan
03-28-2015, 12:13 PM

I've learned to never use the Spurs regular season as an indicator. They have too much chemistry, experience, talent, etc., to make the regular season any indication of what is to come in the playoffs (which BTW, goes both ways with them).

Scoots
03-29-2015, 12:39 AM
Hawks didn't surprise me, they were showing signs last year but couldn't stay healthy. If they were healthy this year they were always going to be very good.

Warriors being 10 up in the ultra competitive west with a couple weeks to go is a surprise.

The Jazz suddenly playing defense after trading Kanter.

Dragic being traded WITH Thomas.

The Lakers re-signing Kobe.

The Knicks paying Carmelo.

The Pistons flat dumping Josh Smith.

The Mavs breaking the most efficient offense in the NBA for a dysfunctional PG.

lol, please
04-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Hawks didn't surprise me, they were showing signs last year but couldn't stay healthy. If they were healthy this year they were always going to be very good.

Warriors being 10 up in the ultra competitive west with a couple weeks to go is a surprise.

The Jazz suddenly playing defense after trading Kanter.

Dragic being traded WITH Thomas.

The Lakers re-signing Kobe.

The Knicks paying Carmelo.

The Pistons flat dumping Josh Smith.

The Mavs breaking the most efficient offense in the NBA for a dysfunctional PG.
Hawks sure surprised me, them again I have paid zero attention to that team in any way for as long as I can remember. I don't even know their starting 5 and they are having a great season.

Not sure why the warriors surprise you since you are a fan, unless you are a post jackson era bandwagon fan, we have been on the cusp for 3 years and were 2 injuries away from deep runs in back to back seasons.

Also, kobe being resigned to the Lakers shouldn't be a surprise to a anyone. That's what should happen even with a small market team, when you are a franchise icon and got drafted by said franchise, exceptions should be made every time. regardless if he has poor seasons for the rest of his career, he should never wear another jersey. It wouldn't be right. As a franchise you bite that bullet, for the fans and for legacy, every time.

goingfor28
04-04-2015, 11:48 PM
Except Kobe wasn't drafted by the lakers

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/960/713/hi-res-94ded209ab9242bddeacfb0238af1c89_crop_north.jpg?w= 759&h=506&q=75

lol, please
04-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Except Kobe wasn't drafted by the lakers

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/960/713/hi-res-94ded209ab9242bddeacfb0238af1c89_crop_north.jpg?w= 759&h=506&q=75
I know technically not but you know what I meant, don't nitpick lol.

goingfor28
04-04-2015, 11:54 PM
I know technically not but you know what I meant, don't nitpick lol.
You left yourself wide open for that one, couldn't help it :)

lol, please
04-04-2015, 11:55 PM
You left yourself wide open for that one, couldn't help it :)
Fair enough lol. you did me like curry did Chris paul.

goingfor28
04-04-2015, 11:55 PM
Fair enough lol. you did me like curry did Chris paul.
Ouch

hidalgo
04-05-2015, 12:01 AM
warriors. they're gonna win 69 games, i guarantee it. tied for 2nd best record ever. WTF? uhhh ok, who saw this coming? they're unbeatable apparently

Verbal Christ
04-05-2015, 01:54 AM
And with their luck the first year they suck again they will get the 1st pick and nab another generational talent and set themselves up for yet another decade.

lol, please
04-05-2015, 02:42 AM
And with their luck the first year they suck again they will get the 1st pick and nab another generational talent and set themselves up for yet another decade.
The warriors? I had high hopes for Udoh and Bazemore, but they are panning out to be busts. Tyler too. Can't always count on draft picks, they don't work as often as people act like they do.

Scoots
04-05-2015, 03:28 AM
Hawks sure surprised me, them again I have paid zero attention to that team in any way for as long as I can remember. I don't even know their starting 5 and they are having a great season.

Not sure why the warriors surprise you since you are a fan, unless you are a post jackson era bandwagon fan, we have been on the cusp for 3 years and were 2 injuries away from deep runs in back to back seasons.

Also, kobe being resigned to the Lakers shouldn't be a surprise to a anyone. That's what should happen even with a small market team, when you are a franchise icon and got drafted by said franchise, exceptions should be made every time. regardless if he has poor seasons for the rest of his career, he should never wear another jersey. It wouldn't be right. As a franchise you bite that bullet, for the fans and for legacy, every time.

Hey, if Harden should be MVP because of all the non-talent around him ... how can Budenholzer be coach of the year with 4 all-stars while Kerr has to get by with only 2? :)

I said I was surprised the Warriors had a 10 game lead in this western conference ... I'm not surprised they are very good.

Kobe signing 2 years and what, like 45 mil? That's more than a surprise, that was a shock ... and it was a bad move by the Lakers.