PDA

View Full Version : DeMarcus Cousins on Kings’ season: ‘It’s been a complete circus’

spreadeagle
03-24-2015, 05:54 PM
DeMarcus Cousins is the face of the Kings franchise, and is talented enough to be exactly that.

His attitude is another matter entirely, though it seemed to be in check under then-head coach Mike Malone as the team began the season by getting out to a better-than-expected 9-6 start.

But then, the wheels began to come off.

Cousins was forced to miss 10 games after being hospitalized with a viral infection, and when Sacramento dropped seven of nine in his absence, the organization used the slide as an excuse to fire Malone, when really, the coaching decision was more about the style of play than anything else.

There was the interim Tyrone Corbin coaching experience, which didn’t last long even though the Kings had signed him to a deal for the remainder of the season. George Karl has been installed presumably for the foreseeable future, but the Kings have slipped to the bottom of the league in terms of defense, while Karl predictably cranked up the offense to give ownership the faster pace it desired.

That’s a lot to deal with, and Cousins admits it hasn’t always been easy.

From Michael Lee of the Washington Post:

“It’s been a circus, man. It’s been a complete circus,” a flustered Cousins said, when asked to describe this season. “We got off to a hot start. Unfortunately, I got sick, so it ruined the look of the team. I take some blame for that. I know for a fact, if I wouldn’t have gotten sick, things wouldn’t have happened the way it happened. It was no way it could. At the same time, a lot of it is not my fault and we all know why. But this has been a disappointing year.” …http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/24/demarcus-cousins-on-kings-season-its-been-a-complete-circus/

KnicksorBust
03-24-2015, 05:57 PM
I'm sick of him. Yes I know how versatile he is offensively. Yes I know he has improved by leaps and bounds defensively. But he is still ridiculously immature and nowhere near a franchise player imo. I think he is the most overrated player in the NBA.

Crackadalic
03-24-2015, 07:58 PM
I'm sick of him. Yes I know how versatile he is offensively. Yes I know he has improved by leaps and bounds defensively. But he is still ridiculously immature and nowhere near a franchise player imo. I think he is the most overrated player in the NBA.

But is he wrong? Besides the Knicks the Kings have been a joke the last 10 years. Idk what the hell they have been doing this season. You fire a coach they connected with the team to play a brand of basketball that doesn't win?

xxplayerxx23
03-24-2015, 08:00 PM

Eh, he may not be a #1 but I think he can be your second best player on a champinship team

D-Cord916
03-24-2015, 08:17 PM
To me it seems the ownership is trying hard as hell to be something they are not.

JLynn943
03-24-2015, 08:48 PM
He's right though. Management and ownership don't seem to be on the same page, and neither were on the same page as Malone, who actually had the Kings playing well and who actually connected with Cousins. Couple that with Cousins getting viral meningitis and a second mid season coaching change and it's a miracle he's not demanding a trade. The season has been a disaster. Karl has his work cut out for him.

D-Leethal
03-24-2015, 08:53 PM

You don't think he has the right to be a little ticked off this year? Like it or not, he is their franchise player, and he loved coach Malone. They get off to the best start in like 10 years and they fire the coach? For what? Do you remember the owners explanation?

The new owners felt Malone was too strict and to get to the next level they needed a "jazz director".

I mean WTF kind of **** is that? The team instantly goes back into the gutter that Malone was able to finally get them out of. I'd be pissed as hell too, thats some looney toon, smoking way too much kush for your own good **** on the owners part.

Sactown
03-24-2015, 09:24 PM

You're honestly a hater

A team who backed the head coach as guy in the organization and fires him with under 30 games played? Then backs Corbin as the coach for the remainder of the season constantly then fires him 25 games later? Or the on and off with hiring George Karl while dragging his name in the mud when he had nothing to do with the decision but was being held back by our GM who wanted to wait till the off season but was over ridden by an impatient ownership and reminder of front office? Or how about the FO arguing over the hiring of Vlade??

They struck gold with Malone and ****ed it up by letting him go and everyone knows it.

Don't pretend this is DMCs fault who has quietly dominated night in and night out while the FO has sabotaged this season.. he has been the one class act in this horse and poney show..

lincecum=future
03-24-2015, 09:28 PM
Sorry DMC and class act should not ever be used in the same sentence

KnicksorBust
03-24-2015, 09:59 PM

You're honestly a hater

A team who backed the head coach as guy in the organization and fires him with under 30 games played? Then backs Corbin as the coach for the remainder of the season constantly then fires him 25 games later? Or the on and off with hiring George Karl while dragging his name in the mud when he had nothing to do with the decision but was being held back by our GM who wanted to wait till the off season but was over ridden by an impatient ownership and reminder of front office? Or how about the FO arguing over the hiring of Vlade??

They struck gold with Malone and ****ed it up by letting him go and everyone knows it.

Don't pretend this is DMCs fault who has quietly dominated night in and night out while the FO has sabotaged this season.. he has been the one class act in this horse and poney show..

Arent you the same guy who said DMC didnt have issues with coaches and I had to copy and paste amd correct you on your own team?

KnicksorBust
03-24-2015, 10:00 PM

But is he wrong? Besides the Knicks the Kings have been a joke the last 10 years. Idk what the hell they have been doing this season. You fire a coach they connected with the team to play a brand of basketball that doesn't win?

What has been the common denominator in all of these recent problems? Him.

Crackadalic
03-24-2015, 10:24 PM
What has been the common denominator in all of these recent problems? Him.

So he can be an emotional baby. So what. Rather that then half the bums I see play with no passion. A growing superstar at 24 who still has to be a better leader shouldn't be the reason the Kings suck for the last 10 years. He only came aboard this mess in 2010

I probably watch more kings games then i want to but outside of some few defensive lapses that make you scratch your head he's be pretty good this year on and off the court

mike_noodles
03-24-2015, 10:59 PM
Just come to Toronto Demarcus.

xnick5757
03-24-2015, 11:20 PM
He's one of the best players in the league but has been jerked around by a horrid FO/ownership. In his 4+ seasons he's had six different coaches, 2 GMs, and 2 owners.

List of point guards he's gotten to play with: Tyreke Evans, Beno Udrih, Jimmer Fredette, Aaron Brooks, Isaiah Thomas, Greivis Vasquez, Ray McCallum, Darren Collison and Ramon Sessions. That's not a great collection.

Here's some numbers (stolen from Grantland):

Boogie, last two seasons (123 games): 33.0 mpg, 23.1 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 48% FG, 25.5 PER
Duncan, ’01-’02 and ’02-’03 (163 games): 39.9 mpg, 24.4 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 51% FG, 27.0 PER

There's also this (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=4&season_end=5&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&shoot_hand=&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&birth_state=&college_id=&is_active=&debut_yr_nba_start=&debut_yr_nba_end=&debut_yr_aba_start=&debut_yr_aba_end=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&award=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=pts_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=23&c2stat=per&c2comp=gt&c2val=25&c3stat=trb_per_g&c3comp=gt&c3val=12&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws) which he is on pace to join. It's a pretty good group

JLynn943
03-24-2015, 11:51 PM
He has handled the horrible mismanagement and boneheaded decision-making extremely well though. Given how much the media questions him about it, it's a good sign. He certainly seems to be maturing.

HoopsDrive
03-25-2015, 01:55 AM
With the way the organization is being run to the ground, I'm surprised he hasn't demanded a trade. The guy may not have the best reputation when it comes to behavior and class but he's more in the right than not here. Some horrendous decisions done by ownership when things were finally starting to look midlly well. His attitude and behavior are a part of the problem for sure, but he's not wrong in saying all this.

Kashmir13579
03-25-2015, 02:24 AM
I love that I'm starting to love Boogie.

Sactown
03-25-2015, 03:00 AM
Arent you the same guy who said DMC didnt have issues with coaches and I had to copy and paste amd correct you on your own team?

you didn't prove **** he didn't advocate publicly to have Keith Smart axed nor does it matter he played hard every game and Smart was a horrible coach who won't be a head coach for a long Time.. New ownership axed everyone not Boogie ... DMC never publicly advocated firing Corbin either and acknowledged that he was put in a no win situation .. you just hate on him ...

He's no worse than Melo...

ewing
03-25-2015, 09:28 AM

would you trade the knicks pick for Boogie?

jon32
03-25-2015, 09:45 AM
I'd trade the knicks pick + a hell of a lot more for boogie personally. This year's draft is good.....but I don't see any of the top picks being potential superstars like Cousins could be.

ewing
03-25-2015, 09:55 AM
I'd trade the knicks pick + a hell of a lot more for boogie personally. This year's draft is good.....but I don't see any of the top picks being potential superstars like Cousins could be.

haven't watched near enough college to be sold on these top guys one way or the other, just thought it was an interesting question

KnicksorBust
03-25-2015, 10:56 AM
So he can be an emotional baby. So what. Rather that then half the bums I see play with no passion. A growing superstar at 24 who still has to be a better leader shouldn't be the reason the Kings suck for the last 10 years. He only came aboard this mess in 2010

I probably watch more kings games then i want to but outside of some few defensive lapses that make you scratch your head he's be pretty good this year on and off the court

So what? His being a headcase is the reason why the team never wins.

KnicksorBust
03-25-2015, 10:58 AM
He's one of the best players in the league but has been jerked around by a horrid FO/ownership. In his 4+ seasons he's had six different coaches, 2 GMs, and 2 owners.

List of point guards he's gotten to play with: Tyreke Evans, Beno Udrih, Jimmer Fredette, Aaron Brooks, Isaiah Thomas, Greivis Vasquez, Ray McCallum, Darren Collison and Ramon Sessions. That's not a great collection.

Here's some numbers (stolen from Grantland):

Boogie, last two seasons (123 games): 33.0 mpg, 23.1 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 48% FG, 25.5 PER
Duncan, ’01-’02 and ’02-’03 (163 games): 39.9 mpg, 24.4 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 51% FG, 27.0 PER

There's also this (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=4&season_end=5&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&shoot_hand=&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&birth_state=&college_id=&is_active=&debut_yr_nba_start=&debut_yr_nba_end=&debut_yr_aba_start=&debut_yr_aba_end=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&award=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=pts_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=23&c2stat=per&c2comp=gt&c2val=25&c3stat=trb_per_g&c3comp=gt&c3val=12&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws) which he is on pace to join. It's a pretty good group

Tyreke Evans has become a winning player on the Pelicans.
Isaiah Thomas was a winning player on the Suns.
Vasquez has been a winning player on the Raptors.

KnicksorBust
03-25-2015, 11:01 AM
you didn't prove **** he didn't advocate publicly to have Keith Smart axed

Okay.

nor does it matter he played hard every game and Smart was a horrible coach who won't be a head coach for a long Time.. New ownership axed everyone not Boogie ... DMC never publicly advocated firing Corbin either and acknowledged that he was put in a no win situation .. you just hate on him ...

Okay. Because he didn't publicly say the words "fire my coach" he's not a malcontent? Do you realize how far you have to go to protect him from criticism?

He's no worse than Melo...

:laugh: Relevance?

Sactown
03-25-2015, 11:46 AM
Okay.

Okay. Because he didn't publicly say the words "fire my coach" he's not a malcontent? Do you realize how far you have to go to protect him from criticism?

:laugh: Relevance?

Your constant need to make assumptions, at the end of Smarts campaign was he frustrated with the coach? Yes we had enough talent to win more but with the possibility of the move and whether anyone was going to be there the fallowing season definitely played into it.. was he the only purr who thought smart was a bad coach? No....

You keep saying headcase ? What has he done to be called a head case?

Isaiah?? Dude had no FA market and then was dumped because he constantly complained about playing time on a winning team...

Tyreke? He's playing the same type of ball that he was in Sacramento just on a team with more talent.... That proves nothing..

Yeah Boogie is the reason we're losing.. it has nothing to do with a constant turnover of players, three coaches in one season, and a season with multiple injuries.. Omri Casspi has been our best player off the bench and D Williams is fighting for the starting job at PF.. both players who are fighting to stay in the league let alone be a serious of a good teams rotation .. oh yeah Andre Miller may be our best PG right now.. but yeah it's Boogies fault

Randy West
03-25-2015, 12:20 PM
The Kings have been a circus, heck that's putting it mildly imo.

Even when the guy just tells the plain as day truth people jump all over him.

This organization has handled the last two season about as poorly as any organization in the NBA could. It's been a disaster, that isn't Cousins fault.

KnicksorBust
03-25-2015, 12:36 PM
Your constant need to make assumptions, at the end of Smarts campaign was he frustrated with the coach? Yes we had enough talent to win more but with the possibility of the move and whether anyone was going to be there the fallowing season definitely played into it.. was he the only purr who thought smart was a bad coach? No....

You keep saying headcase ? What has he done to be called a head case?

On January 1, 2012, head coach Paul Westphal sent Cousins home from the Kings' home game against the New Orleans Hornets, saying that Cousins was "unwilling/unable to embrace traveling in the same direction as his team; it cannot be ignored indefinitely."[11]

On November 11, 2012, the league suspended Cousins for two games without pay for confronting San Antonio Spurs color commentator Sean Elliott "in a hostile manner" after he criticized Cousins for attempting to bully Tim Duncan on the court.[13] Cousins was apparently informed of Elliott's remarks after the game. He left the locker room and waited on the court for Elliott to finish his post-game show before confronting him.

On December 22, 2012, Cousins was suspended indefinitely from the Kings, who accused him of "unprofessional behavior and conduct detrimental to the team." [16]

On February 26, 2014, Cousins received a one-game suspension for punching Patrick Beverley in the stomach.

:rolleyes: That was easy.

Isaiah?? Dude had no FA market and then was dumped because he constantly complained about playing time on a winning team...

He got $28 million. How is that no market?

Tyreke? He's playing the same type of ball that he was in Sacramento just on a team with more talent.... That proves nothing..

So he goes and plays with a winner like Anthony Davis and his game shines. He plays with a loser like Cousins and he fails. Sounds about right.

Yeah Boogie is the reason we're losing.. it has nothing to do with a constant turnover of players, three coaches in one season, and a season with multiple injuries.. Omri Casspi has been our best player off the bench and D Williams is fighting for the starting job at PF.. both players who are fighting to stay in the league let alone be a serious of a good teams rotation .. oh yeah Andre Miller may be our best PG right now.. but yeah it's Boogies fault

You put Isaiah Thomas and Rudy Gay with Anthony Davis or younger Tim Duncan and then we'd really see the difference between a real star and a fake one.

Sactown
03-25-2015, 02:35 PM
On January 1, 2012, head coach Paul Westphal sent Cousins home from the Kings' home game against the New Orleans Hornets, saying that Cousins was "unwilling/unable to embrace traveling in the same direction as his team; it cannot be ignored indefinitely."[11]

On November 11, 2012, the league suspended Cousins for two games without pay for confronting San Antonio Spurs color commentator Sean Elliott "in a hostile manner" after he criticized Cousins for attempting to bully Tim Duncan on the court.[13] Cousins was apparently informed of Elliott's remarks after the game. He left the locker room and waited on the court for Elliott to finish his post-game show before confronting him.

On December 22, 2012, Cousins was suspended indefinitely from the Kings, who accused him of "unprofessional behavior and conduct detrimental to the team." [16]

On February 26, 2014, Cousins received a one-game suspension for punching Patrick Beverley in the stomach.

:rolleyes: That was easy.

He got $28 million. How is that no market?

So he goes and plays with a winner like Anthony Davis and his game shines. He plays with a loser like Cousins and he fails. Sounds about right.

You put Isaiah Thomas and Rudy Gay with Anthony Davis or younger Tim Duncan and then we'd really see the difference between a real star and a fake one.

one incident since 2012 and is something Ibaka Harden and multiple other players have done.. was it a cheap shot? Absolutely does it make him a head case? Definitely not.. he was absolutely immature in 2012 but has vastly improved and that was 3 years ago... Think it's time to let go

Tyreke is playing the exact same as he was in Sacramento as he is in NO.. Anthony Davis vs DMC aren't the only players ..

NO has Jrue Holiday, Gordon, Anderson, Asik.. much better than John Salmon Isaiah jimmer and Jason Thompson.. stop acting like DMC is the only difference .. and NO isn't in the playoff seedimg and will likely be a lottery team... Again...

Isaiah didn't get nearly the money he wanted and nobody offered him a starting job.. the team that did sign him wanted to dump him after a few months

How would Anthony Davis make the kings team ( with less help) a playoff team when he can't do it with a better team in NO??

You're right he isn't like the greatest PF of all time in his prime... You got me...

KnicksorBust
03-25-2015, 02:56 PM
one incident since 2012 and is something Ibaka Harden and multiple other players have done.. was it a cheap shot? Absolutely does it make him a head case? Definitely not.. he was absolutely immature in 2012 but has vastly improved and that was 3 years ago... Think it's time to let go

Then why act like there is no reason for him to be considered a headcase? It's your own masking of the issue that is the problem.

Tyreke is playing the exact same as he was in Sacramento as he is in NO.. Anthony Davis vs DMC aren't the only players ..

I agree. Doesn't that hurt your case? Same player but more successful without Cousins?

NO has Jrue Holiday, Gordon, Anderson, Asik.. much better than John Salmon Isaiah jimmer and Jason Thompson.. stop acting like DMC is the only difference .. and NO isn't in the playoff seedimg and will likely be a lottery team... Again...

You don't get it. NO is now on the projectory toward being a real team.

Year 1 with AD: Terrible
Year 2: Improving
Year 3: Winning Record

Sacto has been Terrible every year with Cousins and showing no signs of improvement.

Isaiah didn't get nearly the money he wanted and nobody offered him a starting job.. the team that did sign him wanted to dump him after a few months

Again that's different from saying no market. No market is like Nate Robinson. Thomas had a market and got $28 million. And another team gave up an asset to get him. He's has a good season.

How would Anthony Davis make the kings team ( with less help) a playoff team when he can't do it with a better team in NO??

Never said they'd be in the playoffs? Don't just make things up. They'd definitely be better though playing with a winner like Davis.

You're right he isn't like the greatest PF of all time in his prime... You got me...

You think he's headed for stardom. Who do you want me to compare him to? Ersan Ilyasova?

Sactown
03-25-2015, 03:09 PM
Then why act like there is no reason for him to be considered a headcase? It's your own masking of the issue that is the problem.

I agree. Doesn't that hurt your case? Same player but more successful without Cousins?

You don't get it. NO is now on the projectory toward being a real team.

Year 1 with AD: Terrible
Year 2: Improving
Year 3: Winning Record

Sacto has been Terrible every year with Cousins and showing no signs of improvement.

Again that's different from saying no market. No market is like Nate Robinson. Thomas had a market and got $28 million. And another team gave up an asset to get him. He's has a good season.

Never said they'd be in the playoffs? Don't just make things up. They'd definitely be better though playing with a winner like Davis.

You think he's headed for stardom. Who do you want me to compare him to? Ersan Ilyasova?

AD hasn't won anything in the pros being kinda close to the playoffs because another team is injured to hell doesn't make you a winner

The Kings have been rumored to move and have gone through six head coaches in the last 3 years .. no player can win in this situation given the minimal talent surrounding him

I agree he had issues early early in his career but they have all but disapated and he is clearly not a head case at this point...

His numbers have I increased dramatically throughout the years and has shown growth on and off the court ...

He has shown he can win as the #1 if given healthy decent talent and a stable coach as he did before Malone was fired having a 9-5 record with the hardest schedule I'm the league with the #1 ranked defensive starting lineup .. they fired Malone because he didn't play fast enough and replaced him with a coach that drug Utah through the dirt for 3 years only to fire him 20 games later.

Crackadalic
03-25-2015, 06:12 PM
So what? His being a headcase is the reason why the team never wins.

So what's the excuse for this season? Haven't seen anything he did wrong this year. You can blame all the bs on him for previous years but he hasn't done anything off the court or locker room to have the record they have. That's like me blaming Melo that he hasn't done anything the last two years because he's a selfish volume scorer when we both know thats not the big reason.

kobe4thewinbang
03-25-2015, 06:46 PM
At the end of the day, DMC must get the heck out of town. He's going to end up like KG if he doesn't.

The Kings were making noise early in the season, looking borderline playoff, but then they fired the coach.

kobe4thewinbang
03-25-2015, 07:13 PM
Also, why speed up your team's playing style when you have DMC? Just makes no sense.

Kashmir13579
03-25-2015, 07:14 PM

would you trade the knicks pick for Boogie? God damn... Not if our pick is Towns..