PDA

View Full Version : Stockton and Malone

ManningToTyree
03-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Watching videos on Stockton it was incredible how many easy baskets he got for Malone. Then I thought to myself, I wonder how many plays Malone was able to finish for the Stockton assist that other players wouldn't.

Which that line of thinking in mind I ask, which player benefitted more from playing with the other? How would their careers have been effected from not having the other to depend on? Stat projections welcomed.

Raidaz4Life
03-24-2015, 05:55 PM
I think people exaggerate the effect either had on the other. I think both players were independently good outside of each other but meshed well on the basketball court.

KnicksorBust
03-24-2015, 05:55 PM
I think we had this thread before. I think it's pretty close. Malone's ability to finish at the basket while also having one of the best mid-range games in the league made him deadly and a perfect fit with Stockton. To me, Karl Malone deserves a small edge in the relationship because his fitness regimen is legendary. His longevity is as impressive to me as any player in nba history. Stockton was blessed to play with a bigman with that level of dedication.

Bring The Heat
03-24-2015, 07:48 PM
The best point guard/power forward combo the league has seen.. Stockton is my favorite PG of all time and imo the best to do it... It's a shame they didn't win a ring because the Bulls and the best player in the game were on an epic run.

Phantom Dreamer
03-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Stockton and Malone each played 19 seasons.

Chronz
03-25-2015, 02:04 AM
Wish we had some +- from back then

JasonJohnHorn
03-25-2015, 07:27 PM
It's hard to say... Stockton wouldn't have gotten nearly as many assists playing under Jackson's system if they have Stockton instead of Pippen say. But with a team like the recent Boston championships, he would have gotten as many per100 possession if he were on the team instead of Pearce and Rondo.

Malone benefited greatly from Stockton's play making, but he would have been 25+ regardless... put him on a team with Jordan, he would have been at 18-22 points.

It's all about who else is on the squad. They were luck to have each other, because Stockton could get open shots with guys double-teaming Malone, and Malone had a pass-first-second-and-third point guard who wanted to set up other guys.

Funny thing, you watch Stockton play, and you get the distinct feeling like he could score on just about any play if he really wanted to. I played with a guy like that. He had such ball control and was such a good scorer, and so good and driving to the whole, but he was always passing the ball and setting other guys up. Some times I think the Jazz would have been better off is Stockton took Chris Paul's approach.

ewing
03-26-2015, 09:57 AM
It's hard to say... Stockton wouldn't have gotten nearly as many assists playing under Jackson's system if they have Stockton instead of Pippen say. But with a team like the recent Boston championships, he would have gotten as many per100 possession if he were on the team instead of Pearce and Rondo.

Malone benefited greatly from Stockton's play making, but he would have been 25+ regardless... put him on a team with Jordan, he would have been at 18-22 points.

It's all about who else is on the squad. They were luck to have each other, because Stockton could get open shots with guys double-teaming Malone, and Malone had a pass-first-second-and-third point guard who wanted to set up other guys.

Funny thing, you watch Stockton play, and you get the distinct feeling like he could score on just about any play if he really wanted to. I played with a guy like that. He had such ball control and was such a good scorer, and so good and driving to the whole, but he was always passing the ball and setting other guys up. Some times I think the Jazz would have been better off is Stockton took Chris Paul's approach.

that is an interesting comment. I don't know if i buy that Stockton could score anytime he wanted but i do remember always being a little surprised by just how good a scorer he was. With regard to Paul i think since he has joined the Clipper he has actually taken a little too much of the Stockton approach. Both guys are hard to fault b/c they never make a mistake, but i do think there have been times were the Clips would have benefited from CP3 deciding to take over the game