PDA

View Full Version : How would you gameplan against the X team in the playoffs?

Vee-Rex
03-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Choose your team. I'm picking the Golden State Warriors because they are the top team in the league and to be honest, there's not really much you can do. You can play the best way possible against them and still lose by double digits. They are elite at both ends of the floor.

1. Slow the game down. I don't think there is any team in the league that can play high tempo and hope to defeat the Dubs. Klay and Curry are both able to attack the rim or stop on the dime for the transition three. If you get into a back and forth game it'll most certainly haunt you as they defend so well and play almost flawless transition offense.

It'll take more than just slowing the game down, of course. Another frightening thing with GS is that they have a terrific half-court offense. They move the ball very well and play with high energy the entire game. Still, a high tempo game will almost certainly end in a loss for the opposing team.

2. When defending in half court offense, pressure the perimeter as best as possible. I know this sounds goofy but there's not much you can do to defend them in the first place. The LAST thing you want to do is allow the Splash Brothers to take threes. They'll rain it on you even with a hand up, so you gotta make sure you get in their grills. Make sure Harrison Barnes doesn't get that stupid corner 3 point shot.

Force Klay/Steph around you, rotate your defense and settle for a driving floater or a long layup. Make them beat you in a half court offense with their bigs. Surrender position to Bogut/Lee about 5-6 feet away from the basket and have them take contested baby hooks in a slower paced offense. The entire defense should be extremely physical, especially against Bogut. Try to get them to settle for 2 point shots that aren't necessarily automatic.

This is the best way to defend GS IMO.

It's not necessarily a wonderful defensive strategy and of course you won't stop them from getting good looks at the perimeter and around the basket, but it's moreso an attempt to redirect the focus of their offense. Try to get them to settle for 2 point shots that aren't necessarily automatic.

3. Attack their defense relentlessly in the half-court offense. Attack, attack, attack. This is where having a Superstar-caliber player makes a huge difference and why I believed a healthy OKC had a chance to upset them (only if Westy could play smart and efficiently in a 7-game series, but we all know the chances of that).

Try to avoid taking long jump shots as that only serves to ignite their crazy transition offense, and you won't out shoot the Splash Brothers anyway. Only take them if they're wide open looks. Otherwise, pound the ball inside. Turnovers will ignite that high tempo as well.

I like Memphis in that they play so tough and can get extremely physical and can pound it inside. Their bigs have high basketball IQ, can pass it very well, and their point guard is methodical. Conley can run the offense and not cause turnovers, which would ignite GS's offense.

There's my formula for beating the Dubs in a 7-game series. May not work but I think it's a solid plan against them.

Clippersfan86
03-24-2015, 09:57 AM
I don't necessarily agree that slowing down GS and getting them in the half court will still lead to a beatdown. The Clippers gave Golden State their worst loss this year (at least up till that point in the season) and that's exactly how they did it. Chase them off the 3 point line and towards DeAndre and let them try to beat you with floaters and midrange jumpers.

I think the bigger issue facing this GS team is their physical defense. They just have so many great defenders. Klay/Iggy on perimeter and Dray/Bogut inside are all ELITE defenders when most teams may have only one of them.

valade16
03-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Any gameplan to stop GS sounds good on paper, but it's pretty hard to put that paper into practice vs them. They are good at nearly everything.

flea
03-24-2015, 10:47 AM
Any gameplan to stop GS sounds good on paper, but it's pretty hard to put that paper into practice vs them. They are good at nearly everything.

They are strong but they have a few readily identifiable weaknesses.

1) Rebounding. They play undersized very often so this is expected, and most of the league's teams that have gone to perimeter-oriented offenses suffer here. It's not a death knell but it can be very problematic against certain matchups. When you shoot well and get into transition it's ok. When the game is slow and you start leaking possessions it's a problem. It was the major weakness for the Heat over the last 4 years and something they had to overcome basically every year, even in their weak conference.

2) Defending without fouling. They are a bottom 10 team in this, and it can hurt you in the playoffs - especially when you are such a good jumpshooting team like they are and want to get looks before defenses are set. I'd argue this is perhaps a bigger weakness of their defense than their rebounding problem. The worst part is, both of those weaknesses manifest themselves against post-oriented teams.

3) Lack of a reliable post game offensively. Barnes can be utilized in certain matchups as a post option, and Lee is still a factor even if he's more of a face-up guy, but outside those 2 they have paltry little in the way of post options. They are bottom half of the league in both percentage of shots taken in the low post area and shooting percentage on those shots. I am a firm believer in offensive balance, but IMO this weakness I believe is less glaring than the above 2. First, they are basically elite everywhere on the court except the low post. They always have 4 shooters on the floor and pretty much all of them can drive (as seen by their very good rates at the rim). Still, in a half-court context late in games or when the long balls aren't falling, it's tough to have to rely on your screening game to open up jump shots.

The tough part about these 3 weaknesses is that the same types of teams can exploit all 3. Memphis, San Antonio, and Portland all rebound well, defend without fouling, and have some of the best post-oriented offense in the league. Even Dallas and Atlanta can be problematic on some of these fronts. All that said, they're still the favorites but they are far from an invulnerable team.

Goose17
03-24-2015, 11:50 AM
I actually agree with Vee-Rex in point 1. Slowing golden state down should be priority number one.

This part made me chuckle though "Surrender position to Bogut/Lee about 5-6 feet away from the basket and have them take contested baby hooks in a slower paced offense."

First of all Lee doesn't get a lot of minutes now. Not sure what Kerr is planning on the rotations but time will tell. Secondly. Lee can finish contested shots, with either hand. In fact he's a really good low post scorer despite not being the biggest guy. He has good ball handling, can finish with either hand and can definitely finish through contact.

But most importantly. Those two are great passers for their position. Especially Bogut. In fact, Bogut is often the focus of our offense in regards to running it through him, he initiates a lot of plays. He might not make the assist but when he's on the floor more often than not he's the guy making the pass to the guy making the assist. His passing is very undervalued by regular fans and he can definitely pass it from the post.

The Hawks played us quite well in the first half of the most recent game but we adjusted.

It will be interesting to see if Kerr can make adjustments on the fly in the post season but I'm sure Gentry will help him out. Turnovers may be an issue for us.

I'm not overly worried about rebounding if we can keep up the pace we usually play at. Bogut, Lee and Green can all crash the boards.

So yeah, slowing us down would be a great place to start. But it's beating our defense that's key. That's where we are truly elite. I don't care if it sounds homer, maybe it is, but I'm willing to argue we have the best defense in this league and more talent defensively than any other team (in terms of depth). It's not just defensive talent it's the I.Q as well. And the fact that even when we play small it's the biggest small ball you'll see. We don't play small we play long.

Calling it now. Blitzbolt is going to come in here talking about the Dubs being soft in the paint. It's his favourite narrative.

tredigs
03-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Be the Spurs firing at 100% championship level. That's how you beat Golden State with HCA. I don't see another team doing it right now.

nastynice
03-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Be the Spurs firing at 100% championship level. That's how you beat Golden State with HCA. I don't see another team doing it right now.

Tha Thizzlies

tredigs
03-24-2015, 12:44 PM
Tha Thizzlies

Don't worry me. Offense is meh, they wouldn't keep up. They along with other teams could obviously pull it off, I just wouldn't bet on it.

Blitzbolt
03-24-2015, 12:47 PM
I think my Grizz take the warriors in 5 games. The warriors by far are a better team then us but our playing style is basically made to beat them.

Best big combo in the game top 10 In rebounds and we play the slowest pace in the game plus top 5 in defending the 3 with Allen /Conley and Lee.

We are also 16 and 1 in the last 17 vs the warriors and the only win was with Gasol injured so home court means nothing.

And yea no lie 16 and 1 in the last 17 lol.

Vee-Rex
03-24-2015, 12:51 PM
They are strong but they have a few readily identifiable weaknesses.

1) Rebounding. They play undersized very often so this is expected, and most of the league's teams that have gone to perimeter-oriented offenses suffer here. It's not a death knell but it can be very problematic against certain matchups. When you shoot well and get into transition it's ok. When the game is slow and you start leaking possessions it's a problem. It was the major weakness for the Heat over the last 4 years and something they had to overcome basically every year, even in their weak conference.

2) Defending without fouling. They are a bottom 10 team in this, and it can hurt you in the playoffs - especially when you are such a good jumpshooting team like they are and want to get looks before defenses are set. I'd argue this is perhaps a bigger weakness of their defense than their rebounding problem. The worst part is, both of those weaknesses manifest themselves against post-oriented teams.

3) Lack of a reliable post game offensively. Barnes can be utilized in certain matchups as a post option, and Lee is still a factor even if he's more of a face-up guy, but outside those 2 they have paltry little in the way of post options. They are bottom half of the league in both percentage of shots taken in the low post area and shooting percentage on those shots. I am a firm believer in offensive balance, but IMO this weakness I believe is less glaring than the above 2. First, they are basically elite everywhere on the court except the low post. They always have 4 shooters on the floor and pretty much all of them can drive (as seen by their very good rates at the rim). Still, in a half-court context late in games or when the long balls aren't falling, it's tough to have to rely on your screening game to open up jump shots.

The tough part about these 3 weaknesses is that the same types of teams can exploit all 3. Memphis, San Antonio, and Portland all rebound well, defend without fouling, and have some of the best post-oriented offense in the league. Even Dallas and Atlanta can be problematic on some of these fronts. All that said, they're still the favorites but they are far from an invulnerable team.

I agree with all of this. Very good analysis IMO.

I agree with this too. You can have the perfect gameplan for GS but execution is an entirely different matter altogether. GS doesn't just play a great team game, but they have true star power with Curry/Klay. If you look at Memphis, San Antonio, Atlanta... those teams play great team ball yet don't have the same talent as GS (if Tony Parker gets going then there you go).

So even if you play GS as best as possible, they can just turn around and put up mad points based off Curry/Thompson's talent alone.

The playoffs will be sooo interesting.

Vee-Rex
03-24-2015, 12:53 PM
I think my Grizz take the warriors in 5 games. The warriors by far are a better team then us but our playing style is basically made to beat them.

Best big combo in the game top 10 In rebounds and we play the slowest pace in the game plus top 5 in defending the 3 with Allen /Conley and Lee.

We are also 16 and 1 in the last 17 vs the warriors and the only win was with Gasol injured so home court means nothing.

Wow that's pretty crazy.

A Memphis/Golden State WCF would be fun to see.

kdspurman
03-24-2015, 12:57 PM
I agree with all of this. Very good analysis IMO.

I agree with this too. You can have the perfect gameplan for GS but execution is an entirely different matter altogether. GS doesn't just play a great team game, but they have true star power with Curry/Klay. If you look at Memphis, San Antonio, Atlanta... those teams play great team ball yet don't have the same talent as GS (if Tony Parker gets going then there you go).

So even if you play GS as best as possible, they can just turn around and put up mad points based off Curry/Thompson's talent alone.

The playoffs will be sooo interesting.

Idk, GS has more guys in their prime, but SA has one of the best defensive wing tandems out there in 2 guys who have shown they can at least disrupt Curry/Klay offensively. Kawhi on Klay in particular has proven to be very successful.

I don't think it'd come down to stars if it came to these 2 teams facing off, but rather who could impose their style of play

nastynice
03-24-2015, 12:59 PM

1-0 this yr blood. Don't get too excited. Rox had almost as impressive record vs us before this yr

Blitzbolt
03-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Hopelly someone does this with the Spurs I don't think no one in the West has figure it out San Antonio.

kdspurman
03-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Just to throw another team in there, with Houston. The obvious, try your hardest to keep Harden off the FT line, swarm Dwight in the post (frustrate him a little too) and try and run their guys off the 3 point line.

Goose17
03-24-2015, 01:05 PM
1-0 this yr blood. Don't get too excited. Rox had almost as impressive record vs us before this yr

Yep^

Honestly Grizz and Spurs are the teams that worry me most. Grizz because of their ability to slow the game down plus Gasol. Spurs because they're the Spurs.

Neither of them are beating us in 5 games. That's some B.S. They could beat us in 6 or 7 though.

We get to play the Grizz this week. On the road. Should be very tough. Very testing. Can't wait to see it.

Vee-Rex
03-24-2015, 01:17 PM
There's not much you can do against the Spurs either. I do think if you want to attack them you're best off trying to increase the tempo rather than letting them settle into their half court defense.

As for defending them, I'd rather see Tony Parker and Kawhi Leonard take long jump shots. Obviously forcing them to do that is a task all on its own and sometimes it just won't matter anyway.

Blitzbolt
03-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Beating the Grizzlies is extremely easy.

1.Make Zbo run not only in transition but in the half court anyone with a strecht 4 should be able to do this.

2.Guard Zbo 1on1 no doubles and this the most difficult since almost all the strecht4s suck in the post I only seen Duncan/Diaw/Splitter do this(ibaka/collinson/Perkings sometimes).

3.The strecht 4 has to rebound 10 to 12 rebounds a game.

The reason we don't shoot well is not because we suck at it is because our bigs take all the shots.

bgdreton
03-24-2015, 01:41 PM
Beating the Grizzlies is extremely easy.

1.Make Zbo run not only in transition but in the half court anyone with a strecht 4 should be able to do this.

2.Guard Zbo 1on1 no doubles and this the most difficult since almost all the strecht4s suck in the post I only seen Duncan/Diaw/Splitter do this(ibaka/collinson/Perkings sometimes).

3.The strecht 4 has to rebound 10 to 12 rebounds a game.

The reason we don't shoot well is not because we suck at it is because our bigs take all the shots.

Ummmm don't bigs usually have higher fg percentages? I don't understand. ..

Vee-Rex
03-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Hey, why not do it with my own team?

The strategy for beating the Cavs is pretty simple. You should do any number of these things:

1. Slow the game down. Cavs half-court offense isn't as strong as their high tempo game.

2. Move the ball around. Cavs have a tendency to over-commit on defense and some really good ball movement should net a high percentage shot.

3. Try everything possible to keep Lebron out of the paint. If you can manage this from great one-on-one defense, he isn't able to throw a bullet pass to an open shooter. If you can force him to take tough jump shots, you've done well, whether he hits them or not.

4. Collapse on Kyrie when he drives. His passing is often underrated but it isn't terrific either. He is more prone to taking a tough shot or forcing a turnover with a lot of guys around him. The more dribbling he does the better, try to keep him from taking perimeter shots as he can heat up pretty quickly.

5. Overall, play physical and with high energy. Don't let the Cavs hang around 'til the end or they can pull off a win just from LBJ or Irving jacking up shots.

nastynice
03-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Hey, why not do it with my own team?

The strategy for beating the Cavs is pretty simple. You should do any number of these things:

1. Slow the game down. Cavs half-court offense isn't as strong as their high tempo game.

2. Move the ball around. Cavs have a tendency to over-commit on defense and some really good ball movement should net a high percentage shot.

3. Try everything possible to keep Lebron out of the paint. If you can manage this from great one-on-one defense, he isn't able to throw a bullet pass to an open shooter. If you can force him to take tough jump shots, you've done well, whether he hits them or not.

4. Collapse on Kyrie when he drives. His passing is often underrated but it isn't terrific either. He is more prone to taking a tough shot or forcing a turnover with a lot of guys around him. The more dribbling he does the better, try to keep him from taking perimeter shots as he can heat up pretty quickly.

5. Overall, play physical and with high energy. Don't let the Cavs hang around 'til the end or they can pull off a win just from LBJ or Irving jacking up shots.

I don't know, I'd say basically don't give Love any breathing room. One guy on him like white on rice without the ball, and every time he touches the ball, two guys on him. Make Kyrie or Lebron beat you one on one. They can't do it.

Blitzbolt
03-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Ummmm don't bigs usually have higher fg percentages? I don't understand. ..

From 3 I mean.