PDA

View Full Version : Pop Quiz: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

KnicksorBust
03-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Without checking, how many 3pt attempts does MKG have this season and how many 3pt makes?

goingfor28
03-22-2015, 08:55 PM
27 for 61 ??

goingfor28
03-22-2015, 08:58 PM
I was wrong. Without spoiling, I looked it up after guessing and the answer surprised me

tredigs
03-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Yeah, super ineffective/unwilling 3pt shooting team in general. Unsurprisingly, a terrible offense.

I'll guess he's taken a couple off of heaves. and shot clock violation scenarios. I don't think anybody in the Charlotte FC will shoot 3's (Zeller might... don't think so tho). And probably 0 makes if you're making this thread.

ewing
03-22-2015, 09:30 PM
5 of 19

ewing
03-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Yeah, super ineffective/unwilling 3pt shooting team in general. Unsurprisingly, a terrible offense.

I'll guess he's taken a couple off of heaves. and shot clock violation scenarios. I don't think anybody in the Charlotte FC will shoot 3's (Zeller might... don't think so tho). And probably 0 makes if you're making this thread.

do you think they would be better if MKG started launching them like Josh Smith?

tredigs
03-22-2015, 09:51 PM
do you think they would be better if MKG started launching them like Josh Smith?

Far better to take them from a few feet back than him taking ~30% of his shots from >16ft to <3 at a ~35% clip. Where he's taking them is equivalent to .70 PPP. If he can hit 3's at even a 26% clip he is smashing that.

They would be a better offense with ball movement that more often ended in high% 3pt looks, particularly if those looks were taken by players with a 3pt shot. Having so many non and/or incapable 3pt threats on the court at once is a pretty great indication that you will have a poor offense. The shot itself is part of the problem, and the lack of spacing is another.

slaker619
03-22-2015, 09:52 PM
51-89?

Raps18-19 Champ
03-22-2015, 10:06 PM
I know the answer since I was looking at him in fantasy league. Even if I didn't have him, knowing his game though, I think I would've had a close guess.

ewing
03-22-2015, 11:04 PM
Far better to take them from a few feet back than him taking ~30% of his shots from >16ft to <3 at a ~35% clip. Where he's taking them is equivalent to .70 PPP. If he can hit 3's at even a 26% clip he is smashing that.

They would be a better offense with ball movement that more often ended in high% 3pt looks, particularly if those looks were taken by players with a 3pt shot. Having so many non and/or incapable 3pt threats on the court at once is a pretty great indication that you will have a poor offense. The shot itself is part of the problem, and the lack of spacing is another.

having guys a bunch of guys that cant shoot means you can't score. this is true. MKG cant shoot. he should not be shooting 3s. when he is at 19 feet out he is providing the maximum amount of spacing defense will respect b/c he cant shoot. He is also allowing himself a chance to attack the paint. he only takes long two point jumpers when he is forced too- he isn't choosing that shot, he is looking for opportunities to slash or cut. I think he just needs to improve his J.

sixer04fan
03-22-2015, 11:13 PM
Gonna guess 0 for 1 for the purposes of this thread being made in the first place. But I wouldn't have thought that on my own. It's going to be something surprising like that

dhopisthename
03-22-2015, 11:42 PM
he is

0-0

Lakers + Giants
03-23-2015, 01:08 AM
20-100?

EDIT:

Just looked it up. :laugh2:

KnicksorBust
03-23-2015, 11:42 AM

Can he reach his full potential as a 6'7 SF who shoots 0's threes a game? MKG should pay that Spurs shooting coach Chip England half a million over the summer to work with him.

ewing
03-23-2015, 12:03 PM
Can he reach his full potential as a 6'7 SF who shoots 0's threes a game? MKG should pay that Spurs shooting coach Chip England half a million over the summer to work with him.

No, he cant reach his potential without learning to shoot. Heck, iguodala never became the player he was projected to be and he is a lot better shooter then MKG is right now. dude, needs to learn to shoot otherwise he will wind up being a 20-25 min a night guy, that will get dropped once he starts to lose a step. I love MKG but that's his problem. you are on the money when you said he should do whatever it takes to improve that J

xbrackattackx
03-23-2015, 12:23 PM
At least no one can say "he forces three's". Lol.

kozelkid
03-23-2015, 02:21 PM
I still can't help but laugh at the ridiculous Paul Pierce comparisons people were making when he was coming out. Dude has absolutely no scoring instinct. Never liked him as a prospect.

KnicksorBust
03-23-2015, 02:38 PM
I still can't help but laugh at the ridiculous Paul Pierce comparisons people were making when he was coming out. Dude has absolutely no scoring instinct. Never liked him as a prospect.

His stats are similar to Jimmy Butler circa 2013 minus 3pt shooting.

mike44
03-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Mkg doesn't have a 3 ball yet but I really like how he has played this year. He's worked on his shot a lot with mark price and it's been showing, he's hitting 50% of shots from 10-16 ft and 38% of shots 16ft-3pt, much improved from his first 2 years. Still only 21 years old he could get a reliable 3 in a couple years. With his defensive ability and rebounding he could be a really good player.

Sactown
03-23-2015, 03:09 PM
You think by sheer odds that he would have had to launch a 3 or half court shot at some point this season

kozelkid
03-23-2015, 03:29 PM
His stats are similar to Jimmy Butler circa 2013 minus 3pt shooting.

Is that supposed to be encouraging? You're also ignoring a few other factors besides 3pt shooting.

For one, there is a massive difference between a player in his second NBA season and one in his third (which is typically the break-out year). For another, Jimmy, with his limited offensive capabilities at the time, was already an elite defender. MKG is good, but hardly lighting the world on fire. For another, that's hardly impressive when you're the number 2 pick in a strong draft class.

And finally, I hope you're not saying this to suggest that is could mean that MKG is on the same trajectory as Butler was because NO ONE saw this jump in Butler's offensive output coming.

All in all, it's dissappointing production for a number two pick. One, who I never felt was more than a mid to late lottery talent anyway.

ewing
03-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Is that supposed to be encouraging? You're also ignoring a few other factors besides 3pt shooting.

For one, there is a massive difference between a player in his second NBA season and one in his third (which is typically the break-out year). For another, Jimmy, with his limited offensive capabilities at the time, was already an elite defender. MKG is good, but hardly lighting the world on fire. For another, that's hardly impressive when you're the number 2 pick in a strong draft class.

And finally, I hope you're not saying this to suggest that is could mean that MKG is on the same trajectory as Butler was because NO ONE saw this jump in Butler's offensive output coming.

All in all, it's dissappointing production for a number two pick. One, who I never felt was more than a mid to late lottery talent anyway.

i disagree with a number of things in this post. First Jimmy did show offensive signs. His numbers weren't great but he did have better tools then MKG from the time he came into the league. I'm not surprised he had a jump. Second MKG is an elite defender but If MKG is going have a jump he flat needs to learn to shoot Js. I haven't seen him bunch this yr and people do say its coming along but the skills he showed in college and last year showed a guy that needed much improvement on that end