PDA

View Full Version : Steve Nash announces retirement

kdspurman
03-21-2015, 03:05 PM

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/steve-nash-retirement/

LA_Raiders
03-21-2015, 03:11 PM
About time. He just milk it for 2 years.

ghettosean
03-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Great career top 10 PG of all time in the books.

FraziersKnicks
03-21-2015, 03:38 PM

I'd like to see you walk away from $18m to sit on the sideline wearing an expensive suit. Just icing on the cake that it was the Lakers he milked.

WOwolfOL
03-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Great post by Nash

Raidaz4Life
03-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Sad to see him go, probably the only Laker fan not completely bitter towards him.

NYKnickFanatic
03-21-2015, 04:22 PM
Enjoy your life! One of the best PGs of all time.

AlexTmz2
03-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Great career. One of my favorite PGs to watch and one of the best at his position. :clap:

RaiderLakersA's
03-21-2015, 05:37 PM
He's one of the greats and I congratulate him for a superb career.

That said, I cringed when I heard that he was coming to the Lakers. I thought he was done his last year in Phoenix.

RaiderLakersA's
03-21-2015, 05:42 PM
Sad to see him go, probably the only Laker fan not completely bitter towards him.

I'd take a hammer to the fingers and toes of whoever had the "brilliant" idea to bring Nash to the Lakers. He was a great talent 4 maybe 5 years ago, but everyone knew he should have retired in Phoenix.

Lakers + Giants
03-21-2015, 05:43 PM

I'm not bitter towards him at all. Still one of my favorite all time players to watch. One of the best PGs to ever lace em up.

The only person I'm bitter towards is mitch, haha.

Blitzace137
03-21-2015, 05:51 PM

I heard he wanted to retire before the season started but the Lakers told him to come back for one more season.

Goose17
03-21-2015, 06:19 PM
My favourite player of all time.

For me, this hits harder than any other retirement to date. I grew up wanting to be just like Nash. A lot of people don't know this but I was a fan of Nash long before I was a fan of the Warriors. I'm really going to miss him, can't believe I'll never get to see him play again. Really wish he had won a championship. In my book, he's the greatest PG the game has ever seen.

Thanks for the memories Nash, and for the inspiration. :cheers:

JV35
03-21-2015, 06:23 PM
Just another decent HOF player who never got a ring.

Hawkeye15
03-21-2015, 07:23 PM
Just another decent HOF player who never got a ring.

a dirty Horry hip-check may have been the cause. We will never know...

kdspurman
03-21-2015, 07:52 PM
a dirty Horry hip-check may have been the cause. We will never know...

nash did admit he flopped/sold that hit fwiw. just sayin lol

Goose17
03-21-2015, 07:59 PM

He admitted to selling it AFTER he got hit. He was hit, he was knocked over. He just admitted that he threw his arms in the air to make sure the ref saw it. He also said he felt it was justified because the Spurs sold almost every "foul" and were flopping like mad. He isn't wrong. Before Harden there was Ginobili, let's not forget that.

That was the night Big Shot Bob became Cheap Shot Bob.

beasted86
03-21-2015, 08:02 PM
Nash was a very good player, but clearly one of the weakest MVPs of all time, and obviously the worst back to back MVP.

He will and should make the HOF, but I feel like 20 years from now the youngsters will look back and say "back to back MVP, zomg!" When in reality he's not in that league of player you would think he is based on that accolade.

Pfeifer
03-21-2015, 08:07 PM
Nash was a very good player, but clearly one of the weakest MVPs of all time, and obviously the worst back to back MVP.

He will and should make the HOF, but I feel like 20 years from now the youngsters will look back and say "back to back MVP, zomg!" When in reality he's not in that league of player you would think he is based on that accolade.

That's just wrong and he could have won 3 in a row. Nash could do pretty much anything he wanted offensively at times. Lethal off the dribble and hit circus shots. One of the best passers I've ever seen.

ManningToTyree
03-21-2015, 08:16 PM
My favourite player of all time.

For me, this hits harder than any other retirement to date. I grew up wanting to be just like Nash. A lot of people don't know this but I was a fan of Nash long before I was a fan of the Warriors. I'm really going to miss him, can't believe I'll never get to see him play again. Really wish he had won a championship. In my book, he's the greatest PG the game has ever seen.

Thanks for the memories Nash, and for the inspiration. :cheers: love Nash one of my favorites as well. But you gotta be kidding man haha

Goose17
03-21-2015, 08:23 PM
love Nash one of my favorites as well. But you gotta be kidding man haha

In my book he is. Nothing will change that. I realise this isn't a commonly opinion by any stretch, but it is what it is.

More-Than-Most
03-21-2015, 08:25 PM

You must of missed that article where the lakers basically begged him not to retire

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/12/report-steve-nash-wanted-to-retire-before-season-but-lakers-asked-him-not-to/

More-Than-Most
03-21-2015, 08:27 PM

fun note.. he didnt deserve the 2nd but could have and maybe should have won the 3peat mvp.... The first MVP was deserved... The 2nd wasnt but he did deserve the 3rd.

Lakers + Giants
03-21-2015, 08:53 PM
You must of missed that article where the lakers basically begged him not to retire

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/12/report-steve-nash-wanted-to-retire-before-season-but-lakers-asked-him-not-to/

LMAO. so asking is begging? Way to make **** up.

Avenged
03-21-2015, 08:53 PM

Agreed.

With that said, hallelujah!

kdspurman
03-21-2015, 09:01 PM
He admitted to selling it AFTER he got hit. He was hit, he was knocked over. He just admitted that he threw his arms in the air to make sure the ref saw it. He also said he felt it was justified because the Spurs sold almost every "foul" and were flopping like mad. He isn't wrong. Before Harden there was Ginobili, let's not forget that.

That was the night Big Shot Bob became Cheap Shot Bob.

dont want to derail this too much, and not saying what horry did wasnt wrong,(though i dont think its as bad as people say sometimes) but maybe if nash didn't act like that, maybe his bench doesnt rush the court like they did.

and thats an exaggeration that they flopped on every foul. ive watched that series plenty lol. manu did his fair share, but it wasnt even harden bad, since u brought him up. those suns teams just werent a physical team. those spurs were.

Hawkeye15
03-21-2015, 09:52 PM

doesn't change what I said though...

but, a lot needed to happen, even if they didn't hand out the suspensions. So I am not guaranteeing anything obviously.

Hawkeye15
03-21-2015, 09:54 PM
In my book he is. Nothing will change that. I realise this isn't a commonly opinion by any stretch, but it is what it is.

considering Nash couldn't stop me from getting to the rim, it simply limits his all time ranking.

Hawkeye15
03-21-2015, 09:55 PM
dont want to derail this too much, and not saying what horry did wasnt wrong,(though i dont think its as bad as people say sometimes) but maybe if nash didn't act like that, maybe his bench doesnt rush the court like they did.

and thats an exaggeration that they flopped on every foul. ive watched that series plenty lol. manu did his fair share, but it wasnt even harden bad, since u brought him up. those suns teams just werent a physical team. those spurs were.

he is right. Before Harden, there was Manu. I don't even care to re-hash the same old argument, but you are a rational Spurs fan. Please understand one of the keys to many of your chips is one of the biggest floppers the game has seen.

kdspurman
03-21-2015, 10:17 PM
he is right. Before Harden, there was Manu. I don't even care to re-hash the same old argument, but you are a rational Spurs fan. Please understand one of the keys to many of your chips is one of the biggest floppers the game has seen.

there are many other reasons why Manu helped win some of their titles. flopping would be near the bottom as key reasons imho compared to all the other intangibles.

i know how much he flopped though, im not denying that

Hawkeye15
03-22-2015, 04:02 AM
there are many other reasons why Manu helped win some of their titles. flopping would be near the bottom as key reasons imho compared to all the other intangibles.

i know how much he flopped though, im not denying that

oh duh, I agree with all that. Manu is a human snake, he slithers by defenders with a change of direction like no player I have ever seen.

slashsnake
03-22-2015, 04:55 AM
oh duh, I agree with all that. Manu is a human snake, he slithers by defenders with a change of direction like no player I have ever seen.

God I hate that about Manu. He's one of those guys you love on your team, but can't stand if he isn't.

Shady66
03-22-2015, 10:10 AM
My favourite all time player. Thanks for getting me into basketball Steve!

beasted86
03-22-2015, 10:16 AM
That's just wrong and he could have won 3 in a row. Nash could do pretty much anything he wanted offensively at times. Lethal off the dribble and hit circus shots. One of the best passers I've ever seen.

He was a terrible defender for all of his prime and career.

Hawkeye15
03-22-2015, 02:55 PM

that was my exact response earlier to a claim he was the best PG ever. No PG that can't stop me from getting to the rim can possibly be considered the best PG of all time, even if he has a really strong case as the greatest offensive PG to play.

SanAntonioSpurs23
03-23-2015, 03:06 AM
Probably one of my least favorite players of all time. I still get **** wearing Spurs gear in Phoenix. Nash and Co definitely made those Spurs vs Suns rivalries very fun for awhile. That Double OT game in round 1 where Duncan hit the three is still my favorite game to date (non championship).

That Nash and Stoudemire pick and roll was brutal.

KnicksorBust
03-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Where does he rank among all-time best shooters? #5? #3? #1?

Hawkeye15
03-23-2015, 12:02 PM
Where does he rank among all-time best shooters? #5? #3? #1?

#1 to me

PurpleLynch
03-23-2015, 12:33 PM
Props to Nash. Top 10 pg of all time in my book.
He was an average defender at best in his prime,but damn,he is the best shooting pg of all time(plus top 3 bball IQ among pgs).
Makes also a serious case at best shooter of all time in the entire Nba.

KnicksorBust
03-23-2015, 12:55 PM
#1 to me

Reggie? Ray-Ray? Kerr? Korver? Curry?

Tony_Starks
03-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Best pg I saw since Magic. Stole a couple MVPs but still one bad white boy!

Hawkeye15
03-23-2015, 04:10 PM

ever read the Hollinger article regarding this? Basically, set a minimum for attempts. Now add their FT, 2FG, and 3FG together. Highest number wins. And the mere fact that he is beating out snipers, guys who never took one with defenders draped all over them, and in fact, many Nash's came off runners, etc, and there isn't a better shooter in history than Nash for me.

KnicksorBust
03-23-2015, 04:22 PM

ever read the Hollinger article regarding this? Basically, set a minimum for attempts. Now add their FT, 2FG, and 3FG together. Highest number wins. And the mere fact that he is beating out snipers, guys who never took one with defenders draped all over them, and in fact, many Nash's came off runners, etc, and there isn't a better shooter in history than Nash for me.

Cant we say the same thing for Curry? Does he just need more years? How many?

Hawkeye15
03-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Cant we say the same thing for Curry? Does he just need more years? How many?

I don't remember what the minimum was set at, but Hollinger did even mention Curry was on pace to be ranked extremely high. All he needs to do is maintain, and hit the minimums. The article is 2 years old, he may have already hit it.

Currently, add all 3, Nash still leads. 1.822, to 1.802.

Goose17
03-23-2015, 04:53 PM
I remember watching Curry hit a one legged/off balance three against Denver in the playoffs and it looked so much like Nash. It was surreal.

zn23
03-23-2015, 06:37 PM
He should have won a ring in 2006/2007. I thought the Spurs series was horribly officiated. Had they made it to the Finals they surely would have beaten LeBrons Cavs.

Great PG either way.

FlashBolt
03-23-2015, 06:41 PM
He should have won a ring in 2006/2007. I thought the Spurs series was horribly officiated. Had they made it to the Finals they surely would have beaten LeBrons Cavs.

Great PG either way.

No they wouldn't. Spurs beat Cavs but not handily. In the last two Finals games, they only won by a total of four points. Not to mention that they had the best defense in the game (Cavs were up there in terms of defense as well).

Tony_Starks
03-23-2015, 07:41 PM

that was my exact response earlier to a claim he was the best PG ever. No PG that can't stop me from getting to the rim can possibly be considered the best PG of all time, even if he has a really strong case as the greatest offensive PG to play.

To be fair he was a terrible one on one defender because he was slow but his team defense was adequate. Its not like he was a Harden that just didn't care he just physically couldn't hang with the Westbrook's of the world....

Tony_Starks
03-23-2015, 07:50 PM

I hold no bitterness toward him, still one of my favorite pgs and shooters ever. One of the few players that actually really did "make everyone better."

I don't hold it against him that Mitch and Jimmy gave him a layup of a contract. Anyone halfway competent could see he's been playing on borrowed time for like the last 5 years. He was Larry Bird on the sideline, had he been anywhere but with Phoenix staff he would've been retired years ago....

KnicksorBust
03-25-2015, 12:47 PM
I don't remember what the minimum was set at, but Hollinger did even mention Curry was on pace to be ranked extremely high. All he needs to do is maintain, and hit the minimums. The article is 2 years old, he may have already hit it.

Currently, add all 3, Nash still leads. 1.822, to 1.802.

The only flaw is it factors out things like volume and degree of difficulty... If it's that microscopically close shouldn't an edge go to the player who gives you +23ppg and not 17ppg.

beasted86
03-25-2015, 04:02 PM
To be fair he was a terrible one on one defender because he was slow but his team defense was adequate. Its not like he was a Harden that just didn't care he just physically couldn't hang with the Westbrook's of the world....
Yet somehow offensively he had no problem burning opponents from one end of the floor to the next on the break or changing speed and direction off the ball to get wide open.

He had the physical ability up until about 35, he just had terrible defensive instincts and fundamentals and along with many players in the Nelson/D'Antoni offenses cared more about tempo than actual transition defense, defensive rebounds, and man to man fundamentals.

Hawkeye15
03-25-2015, 04:42 PM
The only flaw is it factors out things like volume and degree of difficulty... If it's that microscopically close shouldn't an edge go to the player who gives you +23ppg and not 17ppg.

volume is met with minimums (you needed to shoot a lot over time). And Nash used his shooting skill as a weapon to open up what he did even better, set up. Curry is more of a scorer, I am not penalizing Nash for that.

G_S_W
03-27-2015, 05:45 AM
Steve Nash was poetry in motion. He was literally one of the most graceful and smoothest players ever to play the game of basketball. Jordan, Nash, McHale, among others, made the game look like an art form.

sep11ie
03-27-2015, 06:12 AM
Come on, Nash was good, real good, but overrated.

ewing
03-27-2015, 12:08 PM
No they wouldn't. Spurs beat Cavs but not handily. In the last two Finals games, they only won by a total of four points. Not to mention that they had the best defense in the game (Cavs were up there in terms of defense as well).

the Cavs would have gotten smoked. the spurs were actually a better match up for them and getting swept is losing handily.

ewing
03-27-2015, 12:21 PM
volume is met with minimums (you needed to shoot a lot over time). And Nash used his shooting skill as a weapon to open up what he did even better, set up. Curry is more of a scorer, I am not penalizing Nash for that.

i would. they both took and made difficult shots. Curry takes more difficult shots in my opinion. I love Nash and before Curry he was the best shooter i had ever seen but there is new king IMO. Curry will never run a team like the Nash ran phx (will anyone?) but i rank him as a better shooter. the other thing i think Curry has that Nash did not is that he is more dangerous shooter, meaning i have no idea where his range ends. Reggie Miller had that to. Curry will hit couple big 3 in the playoffs on the move from a distance no one should have pure form from