PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather take now, Exum or Clarkson?

lakerboy
03-19-2015, 11:13 PM
Are we better off with Clarkson, or is it too early to call for Exum just yet?

jaydubb
03-19-2015, 11:20 PM
I watched exum play in person, I watched him specifically in the game because a lot of laker fans (myself included) wanted him.. My overall thoughts of him were that he looked super lost on both ends, didn't call or go to the ball at all, typical rookie stuff actually..

The kid is still like 19 tho.. Its too early to grade these picks or compare but one thing for sure is Jordan clarkson looks like a great 2nd round pick. Time will tell for these 2

McAllen Tx
03-19-2015, 11:52 PM
Exum (19) plays with Gobert, Favors & Heyward all three heads and shoulders better then anyone on the starting five of the Lakers. Of course Exum isn't gonna get the leeway Clarkston gets cause he's the 4th best player in the starting line up. Clarkston (22) plays with Ellington, Johnson, Boozer & Sacred (Clarkstn arguably the best player on the Lakers) and a lot of leeway to play his game. Exum is restricted at the moment cause of being so young. When Exum at 22 IMO he will be unarguably better then Clarkston. I will go with Exum. Clarkston at (19) no one even heard of him.

The Mender
03-20-2015, 12:53 AM
What is it with you and your hate for Jordan Clarkson? The dude is a gem in the rough. We got him for a second round pick and he is doing better than Exum, who was drafted 5 (I think).

All these flavors and you choose to be salty.

Teeboy1487
03-20-2015, 01:01 AM
Of course right now Clarkson has shown more. Even tonight with a bad shooting for Clarkson, he still had 8 assists. Should have had more with more minutes. I think Exum looks bad but he still has tremendous upside. He needs to be more assertive. Right now Clarkson looks like the better player.

jerellh528
03-20-2015, 01:56 AM
Still exum. I think exum in 3 years will be a much better player than clarkson is right now. Clarkson is already 22. Irving at the same age(22) just had one of the greatest games ever. Clarkson is good, but I'm not gunna roll out the red carpet yet.

clehmun
03-20-2015, 02:23 AM
On a side note, D'Angelo Russell reminds me a lot of Dante Exum... can anyone who've seen more of both play tell me otherwise?

LakersIn5
03-20-2015, 03:14 AM
Swap exum and clarksons place. What happens? I doubt clarkson gets even 10 minutes a game in utah

bleedprple&gold
03-20-2015, 09:01 AM
Swap exum and clarksons place. What happens? I doubt clarkson gets even 10 minutes a game in utah

Maybe not just because he's a 2nd round pick and they would start Burke over him. Exum is their high pick so they are invested in making sure he develops. Not because he hasn't been better than Exum.

McAllen Tx
03-20-2015, 09:32 AM
What is it with you and your hate for Jordan Clarkson? The dude is a gem in the rough. We got him for a second round pick and he is doing better than Exum, who was drafted 5 (I think).

All these flavors and you choose to be salty.

Why do I hate Clarkston? Because some of you say he has the offensive potential as Westbrook, Lillard & Paul and I say its more like Knight, Teague or Jackson, so that's hating?

Cause I say he would be a great combo guard coming off the bench ala Schroeder, so that's hating?

Is it cause I point out the players Clarkstons is playing with and how he Scott gives him the leeway to play his game and isn't at all restricted as Exum in Utah. That's hating?

Is it cause I would still as of right now take Exum over Clarkston, that's hating on Clarkston?

If Clarkston is as good as you make him out to be then why are we (Lakers fans) the only ones who knows it? If he really is as good as we (Lakers fans) make him out to be (the next Westbrook, Lillard or Paul) then why ain't ESPN all over it?

I've never said I don't like his game, I've said IMO his game is best suited with the 2nd unit cause that's what he's playing very good with right now.

Don't confuse reality with hate. You wanna see hate, take the Clarkston to Westbrook comparisons to the NBA forum. Take the Clarkston is better then Exum to the Jazz forum.

He was a great 2nd round steal in the draft if used properly.

Why does everyone fail to say another thing Clarkston is doing besides having a good game sometimes, he's driving the tank. He's the starting PG for the worst Lakers team ever. And I'm supposed to be excited about a few good games? I'm not a T-Wolves fan. Now that's some hate right there. Or is that just some more reality?

Vinylman
03-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Way to early to tell because of the age difference...

Personally, I have never been high on either.

GREATNESS ONE
03-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Yea me either really, I think we all favored Exum last year because he publicly said he wanted to learn/play with Kobe.

Time will tell.

bleedprple&gold
03-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Still exum. I think exum in 3 years will be a much better player than clarkson is right now. Clarkson is already 22. Irving at the same age(22) just had one of the greatest games ever. Clarkson is good, but I'm not gunna roll out the red carpet yet.

What are you basing that on, his draft position? Clarkson has proven to be quicker, more athletic, more aggressive and a better shooter. What advantage does Exum have?

Rocco007
03-20-2015, 01:50 PM
This is the reason why drafting a rooking PG in the lottery is not the answer for the Lakers....
Dante Exum was considered the best PG in the draft...His age is no excuse...
The guy had 1 asst in 20 plus minutes with a better supporting cast vs the Lakers.
For the season he's averaging 4pts and 2 assts in 21 mins...shooting 40pct from the field and 65pct from the line...spin that however you want..It's still trash...If Dante Exum was on the Lakers he would be getting trounced in this forum...Top 5 pick would be labeled a bust...Lets KIR...
IMO. Jordan Clarkson by far is the better prospect right now...especially when considering where they were drafted...He's shown the ability to improve...Exum is regressing...Age is not a factor...
All the great prospects have come in young...I mean Randle is 19???...Kyrie Irving played 8 games of college ball...No star PG has ever put up those dismal numbers as a rookie...

Now things could change but the Lakers can't afford to give a top 5 pick 3plus years to come around...Please draft a big man...

EL Captain
03-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Way to early to tell but Exum is still a better prospect at this point. Clarkson could potentially become solid player and I am excited by that but he will probably never be All-Star type player.

bleedprple&gold
03-21-2015, 03:43 AM
Way to early to tell but Exum is still a better prospect at this point. Clarkson could potentially become solid player and I am excited by that but he will probably never be All-Star type player.

You'll need to stop judging Exum based on his draft position. There is absolutely nothing Exum has shown thus far that he will EVER be a better player than Clarkson. I don't care who the "scouts" thought would be better, I'm using the eye test, and the eye test tells me Exum is a total bust.

McAllen Tx
03-21-2015, 08:38 AM
You'll need to stop judging Exum based on his draft position. There is absolutely nothing Exum has shown thus far that he will EVER be a better player than Clarkson. I don't care who the "scouts" thought would be better, I'm using the eye test, and the eye test tells me Exum is a total bust.

Saying Exum has shown to be a total bust is a bit extreme. And that's using the eye test. IMO he got drafted by the wrong team. I've seen a few Utah games and I always come to the same conclusion, Utah is a bad fit. And I agree that at this moment Clarkston has shown to be a better player but Clarkston has benefited greatly by his opportunity. Clarkston by default was GIVEN the starting PG spot of a team that went full tank mode as soon as they struck out on Anthony.

Exum got drafted by a team that already has a starting PG in Burke. They got Exum playing a lot of SG (SMFH) when predraft that was his weakness. And hes been horrific at shooting. He really needs to work on that. When playing SG he looks totaslly lost out there but that's not his game. GMs fell in love with his ball handling and passing skills ala Rubio. A fast break team. That's not Utah.

I'm just saying its too soon to call him a bust and unfair to compare him to a player that had a dream come true opportunity handed to him on his lap.

Vinylman
03-21-2015, 09:11 AM

Calling a 19 year old a total bust is ludicrous

Teeboy1487
03-21-2015, 11:13 AM
Exum certainly is not a bust. I agree with McAllen. Utah is a terrible fit for him. I was so shocked when they drafted him.

Rocco007
03-21-2015, 01:03 PM
So Utah was a bad fit...ok...
Can anyone explain...If Utah has a better supporting staff...which has also been brought up...why is he averaging 2 assts a game...why does he shoot 65% from the line...no one is guarding him there...
Newsflash...whether you start or come off the bench...Clarkson and Exum both play 21 minutes a game...
How do you spin that...age again???
Why is Marcus Smart bombing in Boston? Age???
Elfrid Payton is the gold standard right now for the PGs in that draft...and Jordan Clarkson is right behind him...Everyone else has been an extreme disappointment ....

Vinylman
03-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Clarkson must be enjoying all the deep throating going on in here

Again... it is way to early to evaluate how either of these guys will turn out... both have pluses and minuses

one is closer to his ceiling the other is not....

try and take your laker blinders off when evaluating these guys

Rocco007
03-21-2015, 02:10 PM
Everything changes when players don the Purple and Gold...
God forbid we draft Russell or Mudiay....But if we do...and they average 4 pts and 2 assts in their rookie season...
I would love to see the responses in here...
Let me beat you to it....
Our front office is incompetent...Jimbo must Go...Mitch is the worst...on and on and on...
Clarkson is getting lukewarm credit...
Exum is getting the benefit of the doubt...why? because he's not wearing the Purple and Gold...

bleedprple&gold
03-21-2015, 02:33 PM

Again... it is way to early to evaluate how either of these guys will turn out... both have pluses and minuses

We're not saying Clarkson's an all-star, we're just saying he's better than Exum, a guy with a robust 6.62 PER, so that's not really saying much and that's not deep-throating. Could Exum become the better player eventually? Sure, but I don't see it based on what I see today, and right now he looks like a bust. Obviously there is a reason why scouts were so high on him, not sure why. McAllen said it was his ball-handling and passing skills, which have looked pretty unimpressive to me so far. Also, agreed Utah is a bad fit for him, but even so he could still make a bigger impact on the game than he is right now. He could eventually put it together and become a solid player, but right now he looks slow, apprehensive, and like he doesn't belong.

Rocco007
03-21-2015, 02:50 PM
I guess Trey Burke has a chance to be an All star as well...He just needs more time...Nevermind that Utah drafted Exum afterwards... They should've been more patient...Give Burke 3 more years...He'll be awesome... :smoking:

How old is Zach Levine???

lakerboy
03-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Exum looks like he could have used a few more years to develop his game in a top tier college team like Duke, Kentucky etc.

New Power House
03-21-2015, 05:45 PM
The reality is that Clarkson is now playing better and he is with us. We got a guy that was suppose to be higher in the last draft and he felt on our hands. Utha and Boston just picked guards to to try to get them away from us andthen Randle felt on our lap! Two for one! This draft we are going to add at least two more very good players and tons of cash is coming to us. That is a fact!

jsthornton7
03-21-2015, 10:40 PM
I think Clarkson doesn't have a very high ceiling - I look at him like a less good version of Eddie Jones. That said, he is a fantastic pick for where we drafted him. Definitely not a PG though. If we draft Towns, Russell or Mudiay I am happy.

And seriously Exum is 19 living in a new country trying to adapt to the NBA. Neither Kobe nor Tmac lit up the Nba their first year.

Rocco007
03-22-2015, 02:23 AM
https://youtu.be/mSRg3kF2wk0

:dance:

ldawg
03-22-2015, 09:16 AM
To early to tell and Clarkson may never be a good pg. IMO he is like Sasha a few years back a combo guard with better ball handles and more athletic with ability to get in the lane sometimes. He does have the tools to be a solid player but i am not to sure about the pg. I cant compare him to Exum because i only saw 1 Utah game.

New Power House
03-22-2015, 01:47 PM
P
So Utah was a bad fit...ok...
Can anyone explain...If Utah has a better supporting staff...which has also been brought up...why is he averaging 2 assts a game...why does he shoot 65% from the line...no one is guarding him there...
Newsflash...whether you start or come off the bench...Clarkson and Exum both play 21 minutes a game...
How do you spin that...age again???
Why is Marcus Smart bombing in Boston? Age???
Elfrid Payton is the gold standard right now for the PGs in that draft...and Jordan Clarkson is right behind him...Everyone else has been an extreme disappointment ....

Shooting was not his forte and he has been now in a positon to show his abilities,but obviously our rookie gave him a spank lately. He is a potential good player,but Clark had to start on a team that is more on the eyes of the world ,so it is way more pressure to perform in a Laker uniform that it is on a Utah one. Clark is a gem no doubt about it. The facts show that.

New Power House
03-22-2015, 01:49 PM
To early to tell and Clarkson may never be a good pg. IMO he is like Sasha a few years back a combo guard with better ball handles and more athletic with ability to get in the lane sometimes. He does have the tools to be a solid player but i am not to sure about the pg. I cant compare him to Exum because i only saw 1 Utah game.
Clarkson is already way better than our one time show Sasha. There plenty of games to be able to compare these two. Maybe Exum needs to come to LA to play better?

Vinylman
03-22-2015, 03:17 PM
This thread just gets more hilarious by the post....

people ignoring the fact that clarkson is playing on a ****** team just need to see what has happened since KJ McDaniels got traded from philly to Houston... dude can't even get on the court...

who will be better in the long run? I have no idea at this point... nor does anyone else..

but alot of the guys ripping on exum were the ones begging for him leading up to the draft last year... funny ****

New Power House
03-22-2015, 04:52 PM
SOme people here want to ignore the fact that many players that looked better in college and being really high picks resulted in bumps or average at best before. Exumm is oung and he might not be happy there and this could be the reason taht he is performing below of what was expected of him, but Clark even though he is playing in a >>>> team has already shown that he can play with the big boys and his value has gone up,because he is a 44 something pick and Exxum is a 5 th pick. Can things turn around for either player? YEs! but so far Clark is the best pick. Randolph said that he did not know who this kid was,but he said that he thinks the kid is going to be a good one.

Rocco007
03-23-2015, 01:38 PM
In 19 mins vs Curry...Exum managed 0pts 1 asst 1 steal 3 turnovers and 3 fouls...

That's not age .... that's just no game...
Exum looks like our old draftee Morris....He has happy feet..jittery hands... and doesn't have a flow to his game...

Vinylman
03-23-2015, 01:49 PM
LMFAO... someone post a link to the draft thread please... the juxtaposition to the current posts will be hilarious

Rocco007
03-24-2015, 05:30 AM
Utah vs Minny
Battle of the 19 year olds...
Exum 4pts Lavine 27pts

Rocco007
03-24-2015, 06:24 AM
Scout says World Cup shown Dante Exum not ready for NBA yet

Kurt Helin
Sep 5, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT

6 Comments

Dante Exum
AP

Everyone loves the mystery man. It seemed those who had only seen YouTube clips of Dante Exum loved his game — nobody had seen much of him yet some fans were sold. As were some scouts. He was the No. 5 pick in the last draft and is a member of the Utah Jazz.

But as that mystery has been stripped away this summer Exum has looked like a project, a guy with a long way to go.

It started at the Las Vegas Summer League where there were certainly things to like — his loping, lull-you-to-sleep dribble followed by an explosive first step, plus some creative passes — but he had 15 turnovers to 14 assists and shot 30.8 percent. He struggled to find his way against a higher level of athleticism. That has continued at the World Cup, where Exum has played very limited minutes off the bench for Australia — until Australia was trying to tank and lose, then he played 31 minutes against a weak Angola team. Exum scored a dozen but Angola won.

A scout who tracked Exum at the World Cup told Sean Deveney of the Sporting News that Exum simply is not NBA ready. What did we learn in Spain?

“Not much,” said an Eastern Conference scouting director, laughing. “He’s not ready for the NBA, that is for sure. But a lot of guys are not ready for the NBA and they have got to learn on the fly. He is no different. But he is not going to jump into the league and all of a sudden average 20 points a game. There’s just no way.”

It’s not all bad.

“He is really, really good in the pick-and-roll,” the scouting director said. “He knows how to take the pick and emerge with his head up and he sees the whole floor. He will get better with his decision-making as time goes on and he gets experience, but that ability to come off the pick like that, you know being able to see and process everything immediately with your head up, that is something you can’t teach.”

The challenge for coach Quin Snyder is that with no jumper to speak of and his pick-and-roll skills, Exum is a point guard. But the Jazz already have Trey Burke in that role and the plan had been to have Exum at the two. How long can you stick with that experiment?

Snyder was brought in because the Jazz are loaded with young players who need to develop — Exum, Burke, Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter, Rudy Gobert, Alec Burks — and Snyder is the player development guy. They need to grow these guys, see who first where with whom, and start taking steps toward the future. It’s time to start getting a little payoff and seeing some growth from all these quality picks.

Exum is one of those big challenges. Can he develop into a two guard? And if not, there are roster decisions to be made.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/05/scout-says-world-cup-shown-dante-exum-not-ready-for-nba-yet/

Vinylman
03-24-2015, 10:25 AM
It all makes sense now

https://gma.yahoo.com/murder-suspect-rocco-jesse-zuccaro-escapes-custody-west-063816832--abc-news-topstories.html

lakerboy
03-25-2015, 12:48 AM
he's going to end up like johnny flyn

PowerHouse
03-25-2015, 01:20 AM
Clarkson just dropped 30 tonight (12/19 from the field) with a solid defender in Westbrook in his face. He is showing exactly what he can do when he plays the minutes and coach allows him some offensive freedom. Will Exum get to that level? Maybe but who knows for sure?

McAllen Tx
03-25-2015, 02:04 AM
It all makes sense now

https://gma.yahoo.com/murder-suspect-rocco-jesse-zuccaro-escapes-custody-west-063816832--abc-news-topstories.html

Lmfao!! Is there a reward? We can set up a fake Clarkston autograph (to be nice) session and catch him. I got a net in the garage.

Big Moves03
03-28-2015, 03:16 PM

You can't really judge what either of these guys ceilings are, they're both way too young (yes 22 is still pretty young, even for the NBA).

GREATNESS ONE
03-28-2015, 03:22 PM
Saying Exum has shown to be a total bust is a bit extreme. And that's using the eye test. IMO he got drafted by the wrong team. I've seen a few Utah games and I always come to the same conclusion, Utah is a bad fit. And I agree that at this moment Clarkston has shown to be a better player but Clarkston has benefited greatly by his opportunity. Clarkston by default was GIVEN the starting PG spot of a team that went full tank mode as soon as they struck out on Anthony.

Exum got drafted by a team that already has a starting PG in Burke. They got Exum playing a lot of SG (SMFH) when predraft that was his weakness. And hes been horrific at shooting. He really needs to work on that. When playing SG he looks totaslly lost out there but that's not his game. GMs fell in love with his ball handling and passing skills ala Rubio. A fast break team. That's not Utah.

I'm just saying its too soon to call him a bust and unfair to compare him to a player that had a dream come true opportunity handed to him on his lap.

Great post.

GREATNESS ONE
03-28-2015, 03:23 PM
It all makes sense now

:laugh:

Big Moves03
03-28-2015, 03:25 PM
It's important to keep in mind that for most players, they won't be ready to legitimately contribute in the NBA until their mid 20s or so (24-25). The guys who come out and are studs right away are rare, there are exceptions but not many. That's why guys should stay in college at least 2 years, but probably 3-4 for most. When drafting a player, most teams shouldn't expect them to be ready to give them big contributions for at least 2-3 years after being drafted. Not really fair to call a player a bust at 19, Exum might still develop into a good player. I really like clarkson and I stated as much after I saw him play his first preseason game, but he is not the next wade or westbrook. He reminds me of a bigger, much more athletic rod strickland. Clarkson has the tools to become an all-star caliber player, but he's a few years away from that. Either way, huge steal to take him in the 2nd round. Got to give the front office credit on this one.

royal bob
03-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Greatness is purely lightning in a bottle. Would Tom Brady be as great as he is if he played in Cleveland? Why wasn't Michigan unbeatable while he was there? The player and the coach/system has to click, or it doesnt happen. Exum came into the league with high expectations based on circumstance. Clarkson was a second round draft pick with almost none. Utah expects Exum to lead them into the promised land, while LA isn't even sure they want Clarkson around next year....at least much of the fanbase feels that way.

Kobe's first three meaningful shots were airballs. The first season means very little....other than you get a glimpse of what might be. Clarkson may not be the answer, but give me a kid as good as he is at his position....at every position...with at least the potential he is showing, and we'll contend for a championship by the third year. Its an absolute fact the playoffs arent one step closer when we throw away the entire roster every year and start over.