PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Kevin McHale?

JasonJohnHorn
03-18-2015, 02:34 PM
At the beginning of the season, it seemed like McHale was the consensus pick to get fired first.

Despite losing three key rotation players to trades and free agency (Parsons, Lin and Asik), and despite losing starters to injury (Howard, and Jones), McHale is on pace to get about as many wins as the Rockets earned last season (they are 9 wins off last season's total). He's got MVP play out of Harden, made J-Smoove look like he still belongs in the league, and made Ariza look like an upgrade from Parsons (at least in the first couple of months). He's helped Donata Motiejsghdkfghdkghdk develop into a legit NBA starter/rotation player, has helped to improve Beverly's passing game, and has Corey Brewer playing the best basketball of his career.

I never thought much of McHale as a coach after his time in Minny.... I thought he just took that job in an effort to keep his position as GM, but it actually seems like he knows what he's doing.

Thoughts?

curtcocaine
03-18-2015, 03:40 PM
Doing well.

ewing
03-18-2015, 04:12 PM
lanky. i honestly don't see enough games to have any insight that goes deeper then win/lose record

CluTcH_c1tY
03-18-2015, 04:14 PM
I'm a Rockets fan and honestly I'd prefer a different coach. He's done well this season based on the reasons you've stated but the offense imo needs to be improved. I'm not a big fan of isos.

Saddletramp
03-18-2015, 04:35 PM
I'm a Rockets fan and honestly I'd prefer a different coach. He's done well this season based on the reasons you've stated but the offense imo needs to be improved. I'm not a big fan of isos.

I think Harden has made his teammates better than McHale. And I think Morey assimilating those players via analytics has something to do with it, too (I know McHale drafted Brewer and is close with him but Morey wanted him for awhile, too).

That's a special group of players but it's not really a special group of plays.

In saying all of that, I don't think McHale is terrible, but I don't think he's going to make or break your team. He'll lead a bad team to a bad record and he'll lead a good team to a good record. But he's leading a slightly above average team to a good record moreso because of Harden.

flea
03-18-2015, 04:50 PM
From the Rockets games I've watched this year I've been very impressed with Motiejunas - and I think McHale should get some credit for that. Perhaps a big time Rockets fan can enlighten us further, but prior to this season I thought he was basically a spot-up big man who didn't have 3 point range yet, moved relatively well, but was terrible defensively.

This season he's excellent offensively in the low post, very smooth from what I've seen and shooting great percentages in the low block area. His defense looks better on the numbers, but I haven't watched enough games to really comment from a scouting perspective. At the least, he's not killing the Rockets there and that's what his problem was early in his career. I think McHale should get a lot of credit for that, considering that's his wheelhouse. He's turned a guy who many thought would be a stretch 4 bench big at best into a good starter at either big man position At the very least, he's no less than their 3rd most important/best player this year - with a solid argument for 2nd.

As for his offensive style, I sort of blame the roster on that. Ariza and Brewer are good in transition and can shoot 3s, albeit not particularly well, but don't bring much to an offense in the halfcourt. Brewer is an underrated passer but he's not someone you can run an offense through. Then there's Beverly, who is a 3 and D shooting guard stuck in a PG's body and that hideous collection of big men starting with Josh Smith. I think McHale actually deserves credit, albeit not as much as Harden, for the Rockets being top half in offensive efficiency.

But again, I never really got the hate for him as a coach. Seems like he's somewhat hamstrung by what the FO wants to do offensively, and he's had his team playing pretty good defensive ball without their best defender most of the year.

Tony_Starks
03-18-2015, 06:28 PM
Very good coach on a mediocre team. Hopefully he moves on soon.

Verbal Christ
03-18-2015, 06:45 PM
When did 50 win teams in the west become mediocre? Oh wait its just the standard PSD hate. Carry on.

FOBolous
03-18-2015, 06:47 PM
Houston's doing well defensively because of a new assistant coach we hired.

rockets-fan
03-18-2015, 06:50 PM
Very good coach on a mediocre team. Hopefully he moves on soon.

😂😂😂 your jealousy amuses me

rockets-fan
03-18-2015, 06:52 PM
As far as Mchale goes, he's not as good as the Rockets record suggests. He isnt great at drawing up plays in crunch time and can't keep the rockets composure when they have a late lead.

Overall he's an average coach, not bad but not good, like another poster said. He will lead a bad team to a bad record and a good team to a good record

CubsBullsBucs
03-18-2015, 07:01 PM
I lIle him but I hate their players and their GM.

Tony_Starks
03-18-2015, 07:01 PM
When did 50 win teams in the west become mediocre? Oh wait its just the standard PSD hate. Carry on.

If you can't get out of the first round I consider that mediocre, particularly when you have a MVP candidate. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt they make it to the second round this year unless they luck up and get Dallas.....

rockets-fan
03-18-2015, 07:07 PM
If you can't get out of the first round I consider that mediocre, particularly when you have a MVP candidate. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt they make it to the second round this year unless they luck up and get Dallas.....

Well yes normally I'd agree, but this year the West is stronger than normal, literally any team could lose in the first round.

Tony_Starks
03-18-2015, 07:19 PM

Well yes normally I'd agree, but this year the West is stronger than normal, literally any team could lose in the first round.

How's that different from last year? The eventual champ Spurs almost got bounced in round 1 by Dallas....

kozelkid
03-18-2015, 07:40 PM
How's that different from last year? The eventual champ Spurs almost got bounced in round 1 by Dallas....
In which case it seems like you have a pretty thin line between mediocre and elite.

Tony_Starks
03-18-2015, 07:47 PM
In which case it seems like you have a pretty thin line between mediocre and elite.

You are correct. Elite teams get scared in the first round and go on to the Finals. Mediocre teams get scared in the first round and go fishing.

A thin line indeed.....

rockets-fan
03-18-2015, 08:29 PM
You are correct. Elite teams get scared in the first round and go on to the Finals. Mediocre teams get scared in the first round and go fishing.

A thin line indeed.....

I think we can all agree that this year is the strongest the west has ever been. Yes it was tough last year but this year it's stronger....

So if GS gets bounced in the first round they're medicore??? No, they're a great team. I believe the west has 9 really good to great teams this year. No medicore teams in the top 9.

Someone has to lose...whether it be the Rockets, OKC, Memphis, LA....none of those teams are mediocre. This year is just full of contenders imo

Tony_Starks
03-18-2015, 09:31 PM

A thin line indeed.....

I think we can all agree that this year is the strongest the west has ever been. Yes it was tough last year but this year it's stronger....

So if GS gets bounced in the first round they're medicore??? No, they're a great team. I believe the west has 9 really good to great teams this year. No medicore teams in the top 9.

Someone has to lose...whether it be the Rockets, OKC, Memphis, LA....none of those teams are mediocre. This year is just full of contenders imo

I can roll with that. I was saying mediocre looking at their overall track record the last couple years.

But yeah I'll definitely concede I haven't the foggiest who comes out of the west this season. Could be OKC as far as I'm concerned.

G_S_W
03-18-2015, 09:48 PM

Well, the bolded is debatable. Dallas has been underwhelming after some splashy free agent signings and trades, the Spurs' Big 3 core is a year older, the Clips have performed below expectations, and OKC is struggling to remain in the playoff hunt with significant injuries to 3 key players.

edit: Add to that, PHO dumped Dragic, essentially eliminating themselves from playoff contention.

A cynical person might claim that you are already hedging your bets and/or making excuses for yet another 1st round playoff exit, potentially 3 straight now for the rockets. It sounds as if you don't have much confidence in your team.

I do think there are legitimate concerns about Harden's ability to lead a team during the playoffs. His game is very heavily predicated upon iso's and perhaps more so than any other player in the league, on favorable calls from officials when driving into the paint. In the past 2 seasons, the ticky tack calls with minor to moderate contact when Harden drives to the basket have evaporated in the playoffs (as it normally does for all teams), negating Harden's effectiveness.

If you are hedging so heavily, this raises significant questions as to whether Harden is a legitimate MVP candidate or not. I think he is, but his productivity and "efficiency" leans so heavily on subjective/borderline calls, there is reason to believe Harden's critics have legitimate criticisms.

Greg.
03-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Saw it brought up earlier but, Dmo has always had some pretty nice post moves. I know some people (including me) thoughthe could get some ROY love but once we got Harden we switched to starting more experienced players and he never got a chance posting up until this year. He's from the basketball school Sabonis started, which I think is pretty cool

KnicksorBust
03-19-2015, 02:40 PM
He'd be the best low-post option on the Knicks.