PDA

View Full Version : Worst Click-Baiting Article on NBA this season?

JasonJohnHorn
03-18-2015, 09:30 AM
I hate, hate, HATE all these click-baiting posts we've been seeing the last couple of years. Part of it is this 24-hour sports news cycle, and part of it is the proliferation of sports websites and competition for readers ship.

One of the most obvious instances is the recent article where a GM said that Westy is playing so well that the thunder could trade Durant in the offseason, which is true, but they could also trade Westy, or any other number of players, and the Cavs could trade LBJ. The former GM is in no way linked to the Thunder, never claimed to have ties, and offer no 'unnamed sources'. He was just an analyst speculating. But the analyst's hypothetical conversation was treated like inside information.

I expect this kind of $#!T from websites, but the New York Post joined the foray when they published an article titled "Start the countdown on when Phil Jackson will abandon the Knicks".
http://prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=346604

In the article, the 'writer' rails Jackson for NOT signing Kerr to a deal akin to the one he got in Golden State, and called the deal a 'low ball'. For the record, it was one of the richest contracts ever offered to a person with absolutely NO coaching experience. 13+ million for three year put him over 4 million a year, which was more than he ever made playing basketball. To put that in context, he'd be getting paid more that Frank Vogel, Jason Kidd, Scott Brooks, George Karl, and Dwayne Casey, and AS much as Tom Thibodeau! That is not a 'low ball offer'.

Then he, in the same article, he rails him for "taking a risk on a novice" coach in Fisher, while complaining that he didn't seal the deal with Kerr, who is also a novice coach. This is just AWFUL writing, and an attempt to sensationalize at story that isn't even a story. Everybody knew the Knicks would be awful this season going in, and that their focus would not be on contending this year, but clearing cap space for next year. their deals were all made with cap space in mind, and while they didn't thrown in the towel to start the season, they took a gamble on a few players in contract years so that if it didn't work out, as it wasn't likely too, then at least they weren't committed beyond this season and could pursue Kevin Love and other players; and if it did work out, they would be in a position to retain key players and improve.

These kind of click baiting posts, and posts which offer hypocritical/short-sighted analysis seem to becoming more and more common every passing week.

What are some of the worst instances of click-baiting you've seen in the NBA this season?

MonroeFAN
03-18-2015, 09:35 AM
It's pretty ridiculous. Steve Kerr offered the same set of guarantees that Fisher did.

I can't think of any NBA related click-bait articles right now, but there seems to be a lot of NFL related ones circulating lately.

ewing
03-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Seems you have little experience with the NY Post.

JasonJohnHorn
03-18-2015, 09:50 AM

This is true. I'm not from the area, so I don't read them often.... I feel bad for you if they are all this bad...lol

ewing
03-18-2015, 10:04 AM
This is true. I'm not from the area, so I don't read them often.... I feel bad for you if they are all this bad...lol

look at the front cover from 2 days ago

http://nypost.com/cover/

MonroeFAN
03-18-2015, 10:08 AM
I'm sure Windsor generates some trash-mags of their own.

JasonJohnHorn
03-18-2015, 10:24 AM
I'm sure Windsor generates some trash-mags of their own.

The Windsor Star is pretty bad in terms of news/politics, but our sports section is pretty tame stuff. We are a small market, so there isn't a demand. Most readers get their news from elsewhere.

Can I assume you are just over the river given that you are a Monroe fan? I assume Greg Monroe?

colinskik
03-18-2015, 10:28 AM
You should very much expect that type of journalism from the NY Post. It's kinda what they're known for.

JasonJohnHorn
03-18-2015, 10:30 AM
look at the front cover from 2 days ago

http://nypost.com/cover/

lol.... those are hilarious! It is like an amped up version of the Toronto Sun, which is pretty bad in its own right.

ewing
03-18-2015, 10:32 AM
lol.... those are hilarious! It is like an amped up version of the Toronto Sun, which is pretty bad in its own right.

yeah, the post is a total rag. They used to pretend too be a little legit but that went out the window sometime ago

MonroeFAN
03-18-2015, 12:04 PM
The Windsor Star is pretty bad in terms of news/politics, but our sports section is pretty tame stuff. We are a small market, so there isn't a demand. Most readers get their news from elsewhere.

Can I assume you are just over the river given that you are a Monroe fan? I assume Greg Monroe?

Yes, and I mean no harm with my comment. I was born in NYC and raised in metro Detroit. Collectively between the two of them I have read my fair share of nonsense. The Monroe part stands for both Greg and Earl. Not as big of a Greg fan anymore.

ManningToTyree
03-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Your first mistake was giving any credence to the Post haha.

Ny has some great papers but the post is and always has been sensationalized garbage.

Jeffy25
03-18-2015, 01:34 PM
I hate these things.

When it's nothing but an online writer's own speculation, and no links or quotes are ever provided

Vinylman
03-18-2015, 01:42 PM

that's what I was thinking

Cal827
03-18-2015, 02:32 PM
:laugh:

Being a Die-Hard Leafs fan, and a longtime Raptors fan.... You guys should see half of the articles here since the Leafs annual tailspin, and the Raptors recent rise to competitiveness.

It's been an absolute war here between the Leafs players and the media. Hell, a few Leafs players threatened to sue TSN (Sports Network) because at the trade deadline, they didn't block a fans tweet accusing one player of sleeping with another one's wife from hitting the twitter feed on the air. Also, there have been articles saying how the Leafs are doomed and need a long rebuild, to how they can rebound quickly, to how they should trade their young players, out within a few days of each other :laugh2:

Since the Raptors have become relevant, just as with other teams, a bunch of fans have come back, most of them being fairweather. Apparently, so has the media with their ****ing horrible articles how we are elite, and how Dwayne Casey is an excellent coach :laugh2: . A few months ago, I remember seeing an article that said something to the likes of:

"Move over New York, Toronto is the new Mecca of Basketball"

:facepalm:

Federal Reserve
03-18-2015, 10:30 PM
This is BY FAR the worst article you will ever lay your eyes on:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/03/18/blogtable-thompsons-37-or-kyries-57/?ls=iref:nbahpt6d

The article asks whether Kyrie's 57 points against the spurs is more impressive than Thompson's 37 points in a quarter against the kings.

PurpleLynch
03-19-2015, 05:42 AM
I don't know if you are familiar with him,but in the Lakers forum(once a glorious forum,now a wasteland) there's user "Rocco007" who is the master of the clickbait. I'm not joking,he's a Buzzfeed-like clickbait guy.