PDA

View Full Version : Slam Online Anthony Davis Article

Clippersfan86
03-16-2015, 10:00 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/the-magazine/features/anthony-davis-pelicans-wildcats/

Good time to post after his insane, near quadRuple double. When he was drafted I thought the hype was too much but this guy really is THE future (and maybe present) of this league for many many years to come. Please dont change like KD did from that naive, funny and humble personality. Happy Birthday AD.

Vinny642
03-16-2015, 03:06 PM
I still remember the lottery, got up and hit the wall, fun times

Chronz
03-16-2015, 04:02 PM
I was a believer when I saw him dominate a championship game without even scoring. Then again, I was a believer when Okafor won a game playing in only the 2nd half. Ironically both were overhyped defensively.

I dont care who you are, when you're putting up the numbers this kid is, you're in the conversation for best player and MVP. That said, being in the conversation is far different than being the favorite, we need more than a historic stretch for that. Im a big numbers guy but even I dont think hes as great they say, its mostly for his defensive mediocrity but to me he seems to get numbers in that Shawn Marion type of way where its always in the flow, usually created by others and without controlling the ball much at all. Because of that I dont think he impacts the game much outside of his own individual production.

But at the same time, not demanding the ball is something that can help team play but I think he needs a better balance. Then again, I could be wrong and hes the GOAT straddled by mediocre teammates.

All that said, anyone know what kind of work ethic this kid has, he went from being a non-shooter to a great one in like a span of 2 years. I always hear about Blake Griffin having this intense work ethic and seeing minimal year to year improvement (sometimes fluctuations). Either that tells me work ethic is overrated compared to talent/intelligence (some people dont have to work as hard to learn the same things) or that AD has an even greater motor.

Either way, Stern saved the Pellies from a treadmill future. In a way, he may have crippled our Clips. Some days I wonder what we could've built had CP3 never came.

Good thread tho, I think it was you who didn't like the idea of trading Blake for this unknown rookie when I proposed it years ago.

ewing
03-16-2015, 04:30 PM
I was a believer when I saw him dominate a championship game without even scoring. Then again, I was a believer when Okafor won a game playing in only the 2nd half. Ironically both were overhyped defensively.

I dont care who you are, when you're putting up the numbers this kid is, you're in the conversation for best player and MVP. That said, being in the conversation is far different than being the favorite, we need more than a historic stretch for that. Im a big numbers guy but even I dont think hes as great they say, its mostly for his defensive mediocrity but to me he seems to get numbers in that Shawn Marion type of way where its always in the flow, usually created by others and without controlling the ball much at all. Because of that I dont think he impacts the game much outside of his own individual production.

But at the same time, not demanding the ball is something that can help team play but I think he needs a better balance. Then again, I could be wrong and hes the GOAT straddled by mediocre teammates.

All that said, anyone know what kind of work ethic this kid has, he went from being a non-shooter to a great one in like a span of 2 years. I always hear about Blake Griffin having this intense work ethic and seeing minimal year to year improvement (sometimes fluctuations). Either that tells me work ethic is overrated compared to talent/intelligence (some people dont have to work as hard to learn the same things) or that AD has an even greater motor.

Either way, Stern saved the Pellies from a treadmill future. In a way, he may have crippled our Clips. Some days I wonder what we could've built had CP3 never came.

Good thread tho, I think it was you who didn't like the idea of trading Blake for this unknown rookie when I proposed it years ago.

he should and and I think will post up more as he matures. It will allow him to control the game and not have to watch guys like tyreke evans take awful shots in big situations where he doesn't even touch the ball.

Clippersfan86
03-16-2015, 05:06 PM

Correct, it was me. In general I'll man up and say I thought Davis was all hype. I thought he was going to be an improved Tyson Chandler or Marcus Camby, which is still a very good player. I didn't think he would EVER be a 25 ppg scorer and he's just about doing it by year 3. Which is incredible. As you said Blake's work ethic is hyped as being near Kobe level, yet someone without that work ethic hype in Davis has already surpassed Blake in 2 less years, so it makes you wonder.

Then again, Davis was already believed to be more skilled and more of a wing type player (due to very late growth spurt) than Griffin by most people. Griffin is having to learn from being a 100 percent in the paint, bully on the block type to developing a more finesse game, where as Davis was already more finesse with a softer touch.

FlashBolt
03-16-2015, 06:36 PM
This kid is 21. Yes, he's a damn kid. He has serious potential to be a top ten player. Someone will get bumped out tbh. It'll probably be Bird.

Clippersfan86
03-16-2015, 07:36 PM
This kid is 21. Yes, he's a damn kid. He has serious potential to be a top ten player. Someone will get bumped out tbh. It'll probably be Bird.

Turned 22 yesterday, but point still stands.

andy2518
03-16-2015, 08:10 PM

The reason Blake has minimal improvements from year to year is mainly due to the fact that he is one of the biggest ***** hounds in the NBA. I see this dude at all the LA hotspots on the regular. Not only that, but I know first hand about his little Norco habit that he keeps hidden. Not sure where you heard he had amazing work ethic, but I know what I know to be true in fact. Known all this for years and why I constantly told people that he would never progress to that elite status.

andy2518
03-16-2015, 08:12 PM

He is a phenomenal talent do doubt, but let's not speculate too far ahead now. it would take a lot for him to be on the level of a Larry Bird. Come on man, the guys hasn't even played one playoff game yet.

FlashBolt
03-16-2015, 08:24 PM
He is a phenomenal talent do doubt, but let's not speculate too far ahead now. it would take a lot for him to be on the level of a Larry Bird. Come on man, the guys hasn't even played one playoff game yet.

Well, I did say potential. I mean any time we are talking about top ten, of course it will take more than just one season. However, Davis clearly has the skill level and talent. He can hit jump shots, free throws, dominate the paint, block shots, defend, run the fast break, and he rarely turns the ball over. This guy is having one of the best regular seasons for a PF.