PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on resting healthy players?

Sadds The Gr8
03-15-2015, 02:30 AM
This year it seems like there are more complaints about elite teams resting healthy players. I personally don't mind it because it keeps guys fresh for an important purpose but I can somewhat understand why people would be mad. I personally wouldn't bench ALL starters in a game if I were in that situation. I think I'd play 1-2 starters and give the others a day off, or just play my starters like 15-20 mins max. I don't think the NBA should do anything about it tho because teams shouldn't be forced to manage their players a certain way...it happens in soccer all of the time. But what do you think?

dhopisthename
03-15-2015, 03:41 AM
the nba needs to do something to make it so that teams don't need to rest players. its bs that people pay so much money to see the best talent play only to find out that they will be resting.

Ariza's Better
03-15-2015, 03:46 AM
Completely fine with teams resting players. I want to see the best players fully rested and healthy come playoff time.

Goose17
03-15-2015, 06:21 AM
The NBA just needs to shorten the regular season but make it last the same length.

So start in late October. But instead of 82 games just play 66 or whatever. They won't do it though they would lose too much money.

Can you imagine travelling from like Australia or China or wherever to see your team play and they rest the 3/4 biggest stars? That would suck.

But I do understand it from the teams perspective.

Saddletramp
03-15-2015, 07:37 AM
The NBA just needs to shorten the regular season but make it last the same length.

So start in late October. But instead of 82 games just play 66 or whatever. They won't do it though they would lose too much money.

Can you imagine travelling from like Australia or China or wherever to see your team play and they rest the 3/4 biggest stars? That would suck.

yup. Your Jordan quote kind of speaks of it. Is the purpose of the regular season to win games at an elite clip or to put yourself in a position to win a title? If you can rest, rest. Be healthy and ready for the playoffs. As long as title potential teams don't fully rust out, they should be fine. And if they don't then they probably wouldn't have won it all anyway.

hornetsfansydne
03-15-2015, 07:44 AM

This is a worry for me. I bought tickets to the Warriors Trailblazers game on the 9th April and am concerned that neither team will have their best on the court (I'm coming from Australia). However, I also realise that both teams are playing for a bigger prize in June and that it is my decision to come towards the end of the season.
I think it is unfair on people to do it before the all-star break but afterwards some of the vets need a game or 2 off

ewing
03-15-2015, 08:23 AM
the season should be shorter. once people see this work for a team like the spurs and see those old guys win a title....

Mell413
03-15-2015, 08:32 AM
I don't have a huge issue with it. The coaches are supposed to put their team in the best position come playoff time. Although you might be able to argue it would be better to not rest the starters all at once. But if you're a fan this is the kind of thing you have to prepare for when you buy a ticket this late in the year.

JasonJohnHorn
03-15-2015, 08:56 AM
I have no problem depending on the context.

If players are old and their bodies need time to recover. That is not 'healthy', so that is fine.
If a team has a huge lead, I see no problem with resting guys and taking them out in the 4th quarter.

There is the long game and the short game. The bottom line is that teams like the 06 and 07 Pistons didn't have as much depth as the 04 team, and Flip ran his starters into the ground. He didn't have much choice, but coaches need to develop the guys on the bench to rest the players and get the bench ready for their big moments in the playoffs. You can do that in garbage minutes, whether a team is way up or way down.

Likewise, when coaches like Doc and Pop only play All-Star players in their prime 30-32 minutes instead of 36-38, I understand. We see Kobe take on 38 minutes plus for uch of his career, and he's played fewer games than Duncan and Dirk, who both came in the league after him. Duncan may noy be as healthy as he is now if he had been playing 38 minutes a game from the age of 23-33. We are just like a machine. You drive a care 35 000kms a year, it won't last as as a car that you only drive 20 000kms a year. Your knees and joints go over the same stuff, and NBA competition is hard on your body. You let guys rest, use them less, they last longer, and if gives you time to develop the supporting cast.

Now, if I have a lottery team who has a healthy player in their prime, I have an issue with them taking him out with 20 or 30 games left because the season is a wash and they don't want to risk injury.

Teams should be expected to put the best product they can on the floor without risking the health of their players. But the 'health of their players' can be subjective.

I love Thibs, but I see that he drops crazy minutes on guys, and then you get what happened to D-Rose. Is it worth it?

It is hard to read.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2015, 10:24 AM
Karl Malone games played list:

49 (why only 49?? it was a 50 game season)
81 (AT AGE 39!)

I miss that.

jerellh528
03-15-2015, 11:28 AM
I'm definately not a fan of resting players. Exception for guys like duncan who are dinosaurs. But if you're under 32 or so, I don't think you should be skipping any games for any reason except injury, illness and personal emergencys. That's what they get paid for, and that's what the fans pay for. Honestly if I bought a ticket for me and my son and he was so excited to go watch a certain player, but he was out because he was "resting", I probably would be done with basketball or at least I would never go to another game or buy any NBA merchandise.

HoopsDrive
03-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Resting players should definitely be allowed, you can't just force teams to grind players until they get injured just for the sake of fielding the best squad possible. If you want to discourage that practice, best way would be to fix the schedule either by reducing the number of games or increasing the length of the season.

Resting players happens in all sports, happens in association football all the time and they usually only play 2 games a week at most.

Goose17
03-15-2015, 11:42 AM

81 (AT AGE 39!)

I miss that.

Yeah but Malone was a beast. Still is.

IBleedPurple
03-15-2015, 11:44 AM

81 (AT AGE 39!)

I miss that.This.

Even the GSW/DEN game the other day...a family drove from South Dakota to Denver to watch the Warriors (at least 6-7 hrs, up to 10-11). So they watch the B team hang in there and lose the game. Not as bad as the international example, but I'd be mad.

Yes the game is faster. No it is not more physical. Yes the nutrition and health of players is better overall. I understand both sides of this, but as a fan, get your *** out on the court.

Sadds The Gr8
03-15-2015, 11:59 AM
This.

Even the GSW/DEN game the other day...a family drove from South Dakota to Denver to watch the Warriors (at least 6-7 hrs, up to 10-11). So they watch the B team hang in there and lose the game. Not as bad as the international example, but I'd be mad.

Yes the game is faster. No it is not more physical. Yes the nutrition and health of players is better overall. I understand both sides of this, but as a fan, get your *** out on the court.
That south Dakota family story is what made me make this thread. Like I said before, I like the strategy of resting but just rest 1-2 players at a time instead of just benching your whole squad and playing d-leaguers. Sitting out a whole lineup is excessive.

Shammyguy3
03-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Resting healthy players is a sin. Resting hurt players is understandable.

mike_noodles
03-15-2015, 12:59 PM
Nba players are the biggest babies in NA sports. Wish I could complain about working back to backs.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2015, 01:23 PM

81 (AT AGE 39!)

I miss that.This.

Yeah I honestly dont understand how a fully healthy player in their 20s NEEDS to rest and not play a 30 minute basketball game.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2015, 01:24 PM
I will say this though

Even if I hate it, it should still be allowed. Suspensions and fines are ridiculous.

HoopsDrive
03-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Although it's understandable on the fan's part, especially for the ones that can only get tickets for 3-5 games per season, I don't think anything should be done to address this at all. Resting personnel is a key part of planning, one just doesn't go all out every single game because not every game is as meaningful as another. This is why there are reserve players, so you can field them when you have to rest players that have been used a lot.

A team has to monitor players' overall performance level. Fatigue, whether physical or mental, plays a key role in every player's performance. This whole warrior mentality/grinding it out is great and quite idyllic but simply not realistic in today's modern sports era.

More-Than-Most
03-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Got a bunch of tough ***** in here that never need to rest and compare their jobs to this... Playing a game 82 times over the course of several months is child play right? lets forget the part where they train every single day and fly from city to city and do pre game practices and so on but instead just focus on the games played crap... Next we will hear they make SOOOOOOOOOOOO much money and should never want a day off and then say we would do their jobs for much less and always play every minute of every second of every game even injured :rolleyes:

These guys that some of you think should be run into the group or are ******* are doing more physical labor in a 1 month span then most of you do in a year.

http://connectedcomedy.com/are-you-willing-to-work-as-hard-as-kevin-durant/

http://www.businessinsider.com/kobe-bryant-work-ethic-2013-2

http://www.usab.com/youth/news/2011/04/3nba-players-share-their-offseason-schedule.aspx

Goose17
03-15-2015, 04:32 PM
Yeah I honestly dont understand how a fully healthy player in their 20s NEEDS to rest and not play a 30 minute basketball game.

You don't understand it probably because you're not a player.

I like that people seem to think players just play a game, go home and chill. Rinse & repeat. Lmao.

We're not them. We can't judge. We don't know the situation.

albertajaysfan
03-15-2015, 05:12 PM
This is a scheduling issue that Adam Silver has acknowledged is an issue.

I understand the thought process behind resting players. I would do the same thing if I was in Kerr's position.

I really like the idea of shortening the preseason and stretching out the regular season over a slightly longer period of time.

In terms of reducing the number of games played. Only way I see that happening is if a midseason tournament is introduced. I love the idea of it but there are a lot of logistics that would need to be worked out for it to happen as well as serve a purpose.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-15-2015, 05:34 PM
Fine by me.

jerellh528
03-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Yeah but I bet if you told a guy he wouldn't get paid for the games he didn't play he most certainly would find some more energy. A guy who makes 15 mil per year makes 183,000 per game. Let him miss however many games he wants if he doesn't get paid for them, let's see how many he misses.

More-Than-Most
03-15-2015, 05:37 PM
Yeah but I bet if you told a guy he wouldn't get paid for the games he didn't play he most certainly would find some more energy. A guy who makes 15 mil per year makes 183,000 per game. Let him miss however many games he wants if he doesn't get paid for them, let's see how many he misses.

Do they get paid for working out in off days or going in 3 hours earlier when they dont have to and train? Lets pay the guys extra for the time they put in then if we are gonna take away pay for the days missed and i bet you it equates to much much more of them getting paid.

jerellh528
03-15-2015, 05:40 PM
Do they get paid for working out in off days or going in 3 hours earlier when they dont have to and train? Lets pay the guys extra for the time they put in then if we are gonna take away pay for the days missed and i bet you it equates to much much more of them getting paid.

No, they're overpaid as it is. That's what he offseason is for, they can have more laxed workout routines and maybe let up on their diet some over the 4 month vacation they have enjoying their millions. It's not like all they do is basketball 24/7. If so, there wouldn't be so many dumbasses getting drunk in clubs after games. Obvi they aren't too tired

PurpleLynch
03-15-2015, 05:48 PM
From a team perspective it's undeniable that you try to rest your best players when po come. And that's right.
Anyway,I miss players like Malone(I saw that he was brought in the thread.) Just having another example from the past,can explain my thought:KAJ played 80 games when he was 40. 80 freaking games.

More-Than-Most
03-15-2015, 05:56 PM
No, they're overpaid as it is. That's what he offseason is for, they can have more laxed workout routines and maybe let up on their diet some over the 4 month vacation they have enjoying their millions. It's not like all they do is basketball 24/7. If so, there wouldn't be so many dumbasses getting drunk in clubs after games. Obvi they aren't too tired

Over paid? Actually they are under paid when you factor in the business income and the percentage they make off of it compared to others.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/07/kevin-durant-is-right-top-nba-players-are-underpaid-with-max-salaries/

Lebron should be making 40 plus mill a year

jerellh528
03-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Over paid? Actually they are under paid when you factor in the business income and the percentage they make off of it compared to others.

You can say that about every employee. It's why owners choose to own rather than be an employee despite the risk factors. It's only accentuated on a larger scale. But I'll agree to disagree and can't fault anyone believing in either side.

More-Than-Most
03-15-2015, 06:08 PM
You can say that about every employee. It's why owners choose to own rather than be an employee despite the risk factors. It's only accentuated on a larger scale. But I'll agree to disagree and can't fault anyone believing in either side.

I know what your saying honestly.... Nobody should make that much money or why do they make that much but cops make pennies... doctors make a drop in the bucket worth when compared and so on all just because these guys play a sport. I dont disagree and if everyone was smart they would breed their kids to play sports.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2015, 06:14 PM

You don't understand it probably because you're not a player.

I like that people seem to think players just play a game, go home and chill. Rinse & repeat. Lmao.

We're not them. We can't judge. We don't know the situation.

We do know the situation. The player is fully healthy and the coach benches them for a day off.

ManningToTyree
03-15-2015, 07:48 PM
If the NBA wants to avoid it shorten the season. Can't fault coaches for wanting their guys 100% when it matters most.

Sactown
03-16-2015, 12:26 PM
Hard for us to say, obviously the coach sees something after the game , on the plane, or in practice that makes him want to give his guy a rest and I honestly don't blame them if you are a lock in the playoffs ... Why would you play a guy you can see physically running into a wall so to speak...

THE MTL
03-16-2015, 12:39 PM
Eh keeping his energized for the playoffs is much more important and entertaining.

The game will never be 66 games. First it ruins all-time stats and NBA is very stat driven. And also the NBA would miss revenue from 240 games! Thats 10s of millions of dollars.

The best the NBA can do is extend the length of the season. Start the season two weeks early and end a week later.

sheesh
03-18-2015, 05:55 PM
NBA deserves this. Them greedy suckers put more than half of the teams in the playoffs. They killed the regular season with their greed. Not the players and coaches who realized what total ******** this regular "season" was.

Phantom Dreamer
03-18-2015, 09:40 PM

81 (AT AGE 39!)

I miss that.God bless the Mailman!

da ThRONe
03-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Eh keeping his energized for the playoffs is much more important and entertaining.

The game will never be 66 games. First it ruins all-time stats and NBA is very stat driven. And also the NBA would miss revenue from 240 games! Thats 10s of millions of dollars.

The best the NBA can do is extend the length of the season. Start the season two weeks early and end a week later.

There is far more earning potential in reducing the season. Viewership is the financial life blood of sports. The key is to increase the people watching at home not how many people are attending games.

torocan
03-21-2015, 12:41 PM
While I sympathize with fans that buy tickets, resting players is common in many, many sports. Baseball players rotate pitchers, football players sub players, soccer rotates their players as well.

It's only highly visible in basketball because there's only 5 men on the court at a time.

The job of any team's management is to try to win a championship, and that means the best possible performance in the play offs. 82 games is a long season so if you want your team to win I'm perfectly fine with teams strategically resting players.

Also, for the guys talking about the old days the modern game is very different than the 80's/90's. Modern defense is far more fatiguing as they're motion defenses. With ball spacing and the advent of the 3pt centered offenses, teams are forced to rotate constantly to adjust for ball movement.

Guys like Malone weren't expected to guard the paint, go high to hedge a PnR, run back to the basket to recover and defend the inside pass, and then run out to the 3 point line to contest a shooter. They also weren't expected to rotate 2, 3 or 4 times per possession the way they are today.

Similarly, the level of current defense has put increased emphasis on early and transition offense so you're not facing a set defense. This means players are running up and down the floor even faster. You'll see very few good teams defensive jog up the floor on a rebound.

This isn't on the Coaches or the Management. This is on the league.

The NBA schedule needs to be adjusted to fit the modern game better, IE, fewer back to backs and fewer 4 in 5's. Cut down the preseason and extend the regular season by a couple weeks and you'll see fewer players resting. Eliminate the preseason entirely and start the regular season sooner and you'll eliminate a significant portion of the back to backs.

Or reduce the number of games played, but we all know that that's not going to happen.

Celticsfan2007
03-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Shorten the season by about 15-20 games. Suddenly games are spread further apart and each game means that much more in the grand scheme of things with seeding/playoff spots on the line. I doubt you would see any healthy players resting in that scenario unless there team is locked in to spot or not playing for anything towards the end of the season (NFL/MLB teams do this every season)

IKnowHoops
03-21-2015, 02:45 PM
I'm definately not a fan of resting players. Exception for guys like duncan who are dinosaurs. But if you're under 32 or so, I don't think you should be skipping any games for any reason except injury, illness and personal emergencys. That's what they get paid for, and that's what the fans pay for. Honestly if I bought a ticket for me and my son and he was so excited to go watch a certain player, but he was out because he was "resting", I probably would be done with basketball or at least I would never go to another game or buy any NBA merchandise.

I don't go to games, nor do I want to. I'm one of those people that would rather watch it on my big screen from couch with my girl. Now you give me court side tickets, I'll probably take that cause the experience is off the hook. But upper deck seats?, I'll take my couch every time.

rhino17
03-21-2015, 04:40 PM
I dint understand the problem

this literally is not an issue in any other sport, all of which rest players

Goose17
03-21-2015, 07:43 PM
We do know the situation.

Nah, we don't.

effen5
03-21-2015, 10:17 PM
This league turned into a vagina...only players that should be rested is

A) when a player is hurt
B) blowout

And I'm all for shortening the season...I think it's too long to begin with but you never heard 80s and 90s players where the game was a lot more physical about resting...

slashsnake
03-22-2015, 03:19 AM

Well in the NFL, they only don't play the starters and stars in a game if they are injured, or everything is wrapped up for the post-season. If you saw it was week 7 and the Packers are 4-2 and Rodgers was out but healthy, the sports world would implode.

As for sports though, I think the reason this isn't an issue in most of them and is in single athlete sports (Nascar with out Dale Jr, Golf tourney without Tiger, Tennis without Federer, a track event without Usain Bolt, etc) is that basketball is so star driven by 1 or 2 guys. What are the Lakers without Kobe, or the Knicks without Melo? Who wants to see that? They didn't market Miami as a team, they marketed the big 3 stars. In the NBA one star makes a huge difference and it is so much more driven by that single player. It isn't like resting a left fielder in baseball (who will be playing twice as often too, so you have double the chances to see him).

I think that's the issue that arises. You see the Thunder and Westbrook and Durant are resting, that's not the Thunder. You see the SF Giants and Pence and Lincecum are resting, you are catching Bumgarner, Posey, Sandoval, Crawford, etc instead. Still every bit a Giants game. There's very few stars in other team sports that carry the weight of an NBA star. So instead of it being like a baseball player taking a night off, it is treated like Michael Phelps decided to pull out of a swimming competition. That's a pretty huge impact.

Sadds The Gr8
03-22-2015, 12:53 PM

I agree. Its mainly about the fans buying tickets and finding out the starters won't play. I'll admit I'd be disappointed if I was in that situation but it's nothing to consider changing. Resting players is smart

Raps18-19 Champ
03-22-2015, 05:19 PM

81 (AT AGE 39!)

I miss that.

MAybe he should've sat out and studied the game so he wouldn't choke so much in the plyoffs.

tredigs
03-22-2015, 05:27 PM

The more I think about it, the less I buy this actually. For one, regular season games would be seen as more of a "premium" event if there was 15+ less of them, and as a result more people would attend and do so at a slightly higher price point. Ditto for more people watching them on TV, which would result in a slightly higher charge to advertisers. I also think that there would be less injury, and we all know that this a star driven league from a marketing standpoint. No D-Rose likely crushes the potential of Chi's revenue stream, and with a 66 game who knows, we might have never lost him/countless others.

As for this thread, I'm 100% OK with coaches managing their rosters however they see fit to maximize the long term success of their team. Players are more explosive than ever and defensive pressure is at an all time high. This is not the game of the 70's, or even the 90's. And the NBA should probably adjust accordingly if they want to avoid more injuries. If not, we'll just continue to see coaches resting players.