PDA

View Full Version : Brad Stevens COY?

CELTICS4LYFE
03-14-2015, 10:00 PM
IF the Celtics make the playoffs should Brad Stevens get serious COY consideration??

Celtics are now a half game out of the playoff picture in the East. Stevens is coaching a team of spare parts towards the playoffs after losing it's best 3 players from the start of the season (Rondo, Green and Sullinger).

Started as another rebuild season, looked like they were blowing it up and tanking after all the trades. Now they have won 4 in a row, 6 of 7 and 9 of 12.

kobe4thewinbang
03-14-2015, 10:02 PM
He might be securing his job for the rebuild, but not COY by far.

goingfor28
03-14-2015, 10:07 PM
I could see him finishing top 5
Mike Bud
Kerr
Stevens
seems good to me

bucketss
03-14-2015, 10:09 PM
hawks coach will most likely get it

Green_Monster
03-14-2015, 10:13 PM
He might be securing his job for the rebuild, but not COY by far.

His job was already secured. He's a good coach.

I could see him finishing top 5
Mike Bud
Kerr
Stevens
seems good to me

I agree with this. Kerr and Budenholzer are ahead of him.

Ariza's Better
03-14-2015, 10:16 PM
I would put budenholzer, Kerr, Kidd and joerger ahead of Stevens.

Verbal Christ
03-14-2015, 10:58 PM
Stevens is a great coach and has done a remarkable job, but I can't see how you can give it to anyone other than Steve Kerr.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-14-2015, 11:02 PM
IT's a 2 man race between Hawks and Warriors coaches. I'd consider coaches from Bucks, Cavs, Memphis over Celtics.

I like Brad Stevens but he shouldn't be considered as COY. Maybe 1 or 2 votes here and there.

CELTICS4LYFE
03-15-2015, 12:57 AM
A few votes here n there would be consideration wouldn't it? Lol

I don't expect him to actually win it but I think he should get some recognition for the amazing job he's done, look at his roster compared to the other coaches you guys have mentioned for the award.

Ezio
03-15-2015, 01:08 AM

I don't expect him to actually win it but I think he should get some recognition for the amazing job he's done, look at his roster compared to the other coaches you guys have mentioned for the award.

Kidd has his team in the playoffs missing his best player and his best big man who decided to quit all together

CELTICS4LYFE
03-15-2015, 08:22 AM
Missing his best player?? The Greek freak is out?

Goose17
03-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Nah. Good coach. But any coach worth his salt should be able to take a d-league team to the 9th seed in the piss weak East.

What's the 9th seed equivalent to in the west? 16th seed? Lmao.

likemystylez
03-15-2015, 10:00 AM
I could coach an average middle school girls team into the playoffs in the east. LOl last year the bobcats made it to the playoffs

LOL half of the teams are tanking anyway

KnicksorBust
03-15-2015, 10:20 AM
I like Brad Stevens a lot but they are 29-36. There is no way in America a coach with a losing record should get "serious consideration" for COY.

I get why people want to bring up Kerr but this is Mike Budenholzer's award.

JasonJohnHorn
03-15-2015, 10:53 AM
I would say no. Getting to the 8th seed under .500 in the East isn't that impressive. It's more about other teams/coaches being bad, and not about him being great.

To me, it's Kerr (GSW), Mike Budenholzer (ATL), or Dave Joerger (MEM).

I think Brooks deserves some consideration. People rag on him all the time, but he started the season out with a glorified D-League team and his best offensive player until December was Ibaka, and they've played at such a high level since, even with KD missing some games and getting a lot of new pieces, that the fact they've been able to get back into the playoffs in the West is pretty impressive. Most people say that is Westy's work, but it's a team effort, and Brooks is getting Westy to channel his style in a winning style, where as before people complained that he was taking shots away from KD.

Kerr would get my vote, but I'd have not problem with the other guys. Stevens, not so much.

leprechaun5
03-15-2015, 11:08 AM
I would say no. Getting to the 8th seed under .500 in the East isn't that impressive. It's more about other teams/coaches being bad, and not about him being great.

I think Brooks deserves some consideration. People rag on him all the time, but he started the season out with a glorified D-League team and his best offensive player until December was Ibaka, and they've played at such a high level since, even with KD missing some games and getting a lot of new pieces, that the fact they've been able to get back into the playoffs in the West is pretty impressive. Most people say that is Westy's work, but it's a team effort, and Brooks is getting Westy to channel his style in a winning style, where as before people complained that he was taking shots away from KD.

Kerr would get my vote, but I'd have not problem with the other guys. Stevens, not so much.

There was a stretch last night that our 5 on the floor was: Pressey, Datome, Crowder, Jerebko, Olynyk. If you think the Celtics are a talented team you're wrong.

D-Leethal
03-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Bud - Kerr - Kidd

Raps18-19 Champ
03-15-2015, 11:13 AM

I said he shouldn't be considered (meaning he shouldn't get votes), but he will still probably get a few.

likemystylez
03-15-2015, 11:15 AM
I like Brad Stevens a lot but they are 29-36. There is no way in America a coach with a losing record should get "serious consideration" for COY.

kerr has a better record, with better margins in a far far far tougher conference

LakersIn5
03-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Kerr gets it. He has the more talented team. It obviously depends on your roster. Im curious though if kerr and stevens exchange teams, what happens to the warriors and celtics

Sadds The Gr8
03-15-2015, 12:01 PM
He's impressive considering the terrible roster but no chance he wins.

Logic Man
03-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Stevens is the only superstar on the Celtics. He looks to be the next Greg Popovitch. Boston's second half change came by beating up on west coast and east teams.

Imagine once he gets to use those lottery picks and cap room

Atlanta coach deserves it.

Nick O
03-15-2015, 12:30 PM
buds got it. But Kidd Deserves some serious love too

KnicksorBust
03-15-2015, 12:37 PM
kerr has a better record, with better margins in a far far far tougher conference

He also is coaching a team with an MVP candidate that won 51 games last year. Bud is coaching the Hawks and made two players, Teague and Korver, into all-stars for the first times in their careers and has made Paul Millsap the leading scorer on a title contending team. This is another guy who didn't make an all-star team until he went to Atlanta and played for Coach Bud.

RLundi
03-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Lol at people mentioning Kerr. No. Bud in Atlanta will almost certainly win it. No one at all expected the Hawks to be a top 4 seed, let alone one of the two dominant teams in the league. Kerr inherited a pretty decent squad with two stars, and while I won't take anything away from him, if the Hawks sucked, COY would be his.

Bud

Kerr

Kidd

Joerger
Vogel

Snyder

These will probably all get at least a vote for COY. Btw Stevens should not get consideration.

Iron24th
03-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Budenholzer is a lock for COY

ManningToTyree
03-15-2015, 02:32 PM
Atlanta's coach should win it. What exactly did Kerr do for GSW? They were already a very good, young, rapidly improving team. I suppose he didn't screw it up and did a fine job as a rookie coach. But nobody is shocked the Warriors are this good.

KB24PG16
03-15-2015, 03:04 PM
its the east though

HoopsDrive
03-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Any other year and Kerr would win it easily. Unfortunately for him, Budenholzer happened.

kdspurman
03-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Stevens is a great coach and has done a remarkable job, but I can't see how you can give it to anyone other than Steve Kerr.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't coach bud

lol, please
03-15-2015, 03:37 PM
A tie between Kerr and Kidd.

JasonJohnHorn
03-15-2015, 03:56 PM
There was a stretch last night that our 5 on the floor was: Pressey, Datome, Crowder, Jerebko, Olynyk. If you think the Celtics are a talented team you're wrong.

I don't recall saying they were talented. I said the other teams were bad, a point which you highlighted, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2015, 03:59 PM

Dont you think you could play that same game with any team in the league? Stick to the Celtics starting 5. That is more impressive

2-ONE-5
03-15-2015, 04:36 PM
IF the Celtics make the playoffs should Brad Stevens get serious COY consideration??

Celtics are now a half game out of the playoff picture in the East. Stevens is coaching a team of spare parts towards the playoffs after losing it's best 3 players from the start of the season (Rondo, Green and Sullinger).

Started as another rebuild season, looked like they were blowing it up and tanking after all the trades. Now they have won 4 in a row, 6 of 7 and 9 of 12.

no. Coach Bud won it months ago

leprechaun5
03-15-2015, 05:05 PM
I don't recall saying they were talented. I said the other teams were bad, a point which you highlighted, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

There are teams with multiple former all stars in their team and play much worse than the Celtics do. I'm not saying he should win it, not even close, but his job shouldn't be diminished.

numba1CHANGsta
03-15-2015, 05:38 PM
lmao are Celtic fans this desperate for attention? Kerr or Budenholzer is winning it

lol, please
03-15-2015, 06:35 PM
nobody is shocked the Warriors are this good.

Mightybosstone is.

Logic Man
03-16-2015, 06:39 AM
lmao are Celtic fans this desperate for attention?

Yes, yes we are. That said, take a look at the last 8 weeks of work, beating WC teams in their house, all with a young / low round 1 roster and rotating 40 players through this year alone, and you can see we have taken the needle.

His post timeout play calls are really standing him apart from the famous ex NBA players who own supperstar rosters.

ManningToTyree
03-16-2015, 09:58 AM
lmao are Celtic fans this desperate for attention?

Yes, yes we are. That said, take a look at the last 8 weeks of work, beating WC teams in their house, all with a young / low round 1 roster and rotating 40 players through this year alone, and you can see we have taken the needle.

His post timeout play calls are really standing him apart from the famous ex NBA players who own supperstar rosters. what about atlantas coach?

Stevens is a good coach who made a bad team mediocre. Don't see how that warrants this discussion really.

Mr.ATLHawks
03-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Coach Bud
Kerr
Joerger
Blatt
Casey

Kidd has done a remarkable job but they are only 2 games above .500.

I think Coach Bud will win strictly bc the Hawks were well under .500 last year and with no major personnel changes are now on pace to win 60-65 games.

mike44
03-16-2015, 11:20 AM
Think coach bud has it at this point but Stevens has been very impressive

ewing
03-17-2015, 03:06 PM
There are teams with multiple former all stars in their team and play much worse than the Celtics do. I'm not saying he should win it, not even close, but his job shouldn't be diminished.

this time i am with you. I loved him and college and love him now. you guys got a good coach

Wrigheyes4MVP
03-18-2015, 01:00 PM
Bud

crewfan13
03-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Coach Bud
Kerr
Joerger
Blatt
Casey

Kidd has done a remarkable job but they are only 2 games above .500.

I think Coach Bud will win strictly bc the Hawks were well under .500 last year and with no major personnel changes are now on pace to win 60-65 games.

I'm not saying he should win it, but if your logic is based upon improvement, then you shouldn't count Kidd out. It the Bucks finish with 40 wins (very doable for them), they'll improve 25 wins on last year, which is the equivalent of the Hawks winning 63 (also doable).

I agree Bud will win it. And for the OP, I don't think Stevens should get too much consideration. Anyone who's looking at a coach taking a lesser talented team and improving them should vote for Kidd over Stevens. I don't think anyone is trying to diminish Stevens' coaching ability, but from the award perspective, I don't think there's a good reason to vote for him. Typically you either take a coach from one of the top teams or a coach that improved a bad team the most. While Stevens fits that 2nd profile, he should probably be considered below Kidd in that regard (not necessarily coaching ability, but results) and the COY typically comes from that first description of a coach from a top team anyhow.

scissors
03-19-2015, 03:09 PM

Rivers won it in 2000 when he "led" ORL to a 41-41 record while missing the playoffs. The Celtics management was trying to tank from the get go and traded their two best players since the season started. The team has just gotten better and better. He probably won't get it. But should definitely be considered.

HeatFan
03-19-2015, 08:22 PM
PSD had an article about Stevens actually hurting the Celts with such good coaching, thus worse draft position. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

torocan
03-21-2015, 12:30 PM
It's going to be Bud or Kerr.

I think it will be Bud. Best record in the East, 4 all stars, best month in NBA history, nobody pegged them for sniffing the top seed, leading it by 10 games, one of the best records against the West, running a 10 man rotation with evenly distributed scoring not to mention a top 10 offense and defense.

Kerr's done a great job but GSW was already was pegged for home court and had a top ranked defense last year. That's aside from the fact they have a very high visibility star in Stephen Curry (which hurts your COY chances if you have games that have to be "saved" by your Superstar).

Kidd will get some consideration The Bucks have made a massive turnaround in spite of being racked by injuries, but he won't win.