PDA

View Full Version : The Utah Jazz do not have the oldest starting line-up in Utah

JasonJohnHorn
03-14-2015, 07:50 AM
Came across this on Reddit (thank's Redittor kqwi)

Utah Jazz Starting Lineup - March 12th vs Houston Rockets
C Rudy Gobert - 22.26
F Derrick Favors - 23.24
F Gordon Hayward - 24.36
G Rodney Hood - 22.14
G Dante Exum - 19.24
Average Age = 22.25

BYU Mens Basketball Starting Lineup - March 10th vs Gonzaga
C Corbin Kaufusi - 21.91
F Josh Sharp - 24.76
F Chase Fischer - 22.1
G Tyler Haws - 23.92
G Kyle Collinsworth - 23.44
Average Age = 23.23

People often say that NCAA teams couldn't beat an NBA team, and part of the reason for that is talent, and part of that relies on the fact that team have older guys, with more developed bodies, and more experience.

I certainly believe that the Jazz would woop the BYU men's basketball team, but at the same time, this seems demonstrative of the fact that there are NBA teams fielding rosters that aren't t the same level of lottery teams from twenty years ago.

If the 76ers, Utah Jazz, Lakers or Knicks were playing that Hill/Laettner/Hurley Duke team, I'm not sure they'd win a game. Likewise, of the Webber/Howard/Rose Wolverines squared off against any of those teams, I think they'd have a legit shot of beating them.

I'm opposed to the age minimum. I think if a guy is good enough to get paid, he should get paid, even if he's only 18, but I do see this as negatively impacting the competitiveness across the league.

Goose17
03-15-2015, 05:16 AM
I'm still of the opinion that if a guy wants to leave early he should be forced to spend 2 years with the d-league affiliate of the team that drafted him, thus making the d-league watchable.

Unfortunately he would probably be better staying in college for one year... but at least you would sort of force them into college for a year, haha.

Some of these guys have no idea what they're doing with their money and pro ball is a short career. Even if you manage to stay healthy, odds are you're going to be done by the times you're in your mid 30s. Which means you have (god willing) about another 30 working years. If you're one of the guys that partied his money away or didn't invest or save... guess what? Now you have no education, no money and you cant play ball. Enjoy you job at McDonald's.

Saddletramp
03-15-2015, 07:29 AM
Enjoy you job at McDonald's.

You too, hoss. :)

I honestly don't know what this thread is reaching for (I know it's reaching, I just don't know what for). Better players come out early, worse players that need extra time and seasoning come out later. Doesn't mean all of the players that come out after a year in college make it to their potential and it doesn't mean that every guy that plays a full four years will always be lacking. The pro team is younger, yet you think they'd smash the college team? And the point is? You think some of the worst pro teams of all time couldn't beat some of the best college teams of all time? Cool?

Basically, who cares?

bleedprple&gold
03-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Enjoy you job at McDonald's.

You too, hoss. :)

I honestly don't know what this thread is reaching for (I know it's reaching, I just don't know what for). Better players come out early, worse players that need extra time and seasoning come out later. Doesn't mean all of the players that come out after a year in college make it to their potential and it doesn't mean that every guy that plays a full four years will always be lacking. The pro team is younger, yet you think they'd smash the college team? And the point is? You think some of the worst pro teams of all time couldn't beat some of the best college teams of all time? Cool?

Basically, who cares?

I don't think this thread needs to reach for anything. I think it's just interesting that an nba team is younger than a college team. Most people wouldnt expect that and it's indicative of how young these guys are in the nba. But if they are good enough to play, let them play. Doesn't matter how young they are.

dhopisthename
03-15-2015, 01:40 PM

C Rudy Gobert - 22.26
F Derrick Favors - 23.24
F Gordon Hayward - 24.36
G Rodney Hood - 22.14
G Dante Exum - 19.24
Average Age = 22.25

C Corbin Kaufusi - 21.91
F Josh Sharp - 24.76
F Chase Fischer - 22.1
G Tyler Haws - 23.92
Average Age = 23.23

People often say that NCAA teams couldn't beat an NBA team, and part of the reason for that is talent, and part of that relies on the fact that team have older guys, with more developed bodies, and more experience.

I certainly believe that the Jazz would woop the BYU men's basketball team, but at the same time, this seems demonstrative of the fact that there are NBA teams fielding rosters that aren't t the same level of lottery teams from twenty years ago.

If the 76ers, Utah Jazz, Lakers or Knicks were playing that Hill/Laettner/Hurley Duke team, I'm not sure they'd win a game. Likewise, of the Webber/Howard/Rose Wolverines squared off against any of those teams, I think they'd have a legit shot of beating them.

I'm opposed to the age minimum. I think if a guy is good enough to get paid, he should get paid, even if he's only 18, but I do see this as negatively impacting the competitiveness across the league.

that byu team is ridiculously old to start with. 2nd how can you put the jazz in with those 3 other teams unless you don't pay attention at all. in the past ten games the jazz have beat the rockets and the grizzlies two teams that will be very high seeds. the jazz have also been 10-3 in their last 13

jerellh528
03-15-2015, 01:46 PM
I'd rather they got a full 4 year degree in order to be eligible for the NBA, a real education, not one where people do your homework and class work for you. If they want to play early, they can take summer and winter classes too, to graduate early. This would never happen, and it's only my opinion, but there ya go.

Cracka2HI!
03-15-2015, 05:27 PM
I'd rather they got a full 4 year degree in order to be eligible for the NBA, a real education, not one where people do your homework and class work for you. If they want to play early, they can take summer and winter classes too, to graduate early. This would never happen, and it's only my opinion, but there ya go.

They are some of the highest paying jobs in the country. I guess the league could have them get degrees. I'm not sure it wouldn't do more harm than good for the quality of play. In theory it makes sense but I think too many quality players would not be able to get the degree.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2015, 06:08 PM

C Rudy Gobert - 22.26
F Derrick Favors - 23.24
F Gordon Hayward - 24.36
G Rodney Hood - 22.14
G Dante Exum - 19.24
Average Age = 22.25

C Corbin Kaufusi - 21.91
F Josh Sharp - 24.76
F Chase Fischer - 22.1
G Tyler Haws - 23.92
Average Age = 23.23

Pretty cool. Lotta potential with that front line.

ewing
03-16-2015, 09:22 AM
I'm still of the opinion that if a guy wants to leave early he should be forced to spend 2 years with the d-league affiliate of the team that drafted him, thus making the d-league watchable.

Unfortunately he would probably be better staying in college for one year... but at least you would sort of force them into college for a year, haha.

Some of these guys have no idea what they're doing with their money and pro ball is a short career. Even if you manage to stay healthy, odds are you're going to be done by the times you're in your mid 30s. Which means you have (god willing) about another 30 working years. If you're one of the guys that partied his money away or didn't invest or save... guess what? Now you have no education, no money and you cant play ball. Enjoy you job at McDonald's.

you seem very concerned with these guys welfare- touching.

crewfan13
03-17-2015, 10:12 AM

I guess I don't see the point of making them get degrees. You already see it in college football, where you have to stay a minimum 3 years. The vast majority of guys who are either in college just to play a sport (whether they go pro or not) aren't going to college to get degrees that really matter. Its not like these one and done NBA guys would all of a sudden get engineering degrees or degrees that could be useful after their playing career is over. They all just take the easiest degree possible that requires the least amount of work where they can graduate as quickly as possible.

And for me, I would prefer no real age limit to be honest. I get that it increases the quality of play and quality of rookies coming out, but realistically, these guys have a skill that's very limited in usefulness. If you're the best engineer in the world, or the best marketing mind in the world, or the best whatever, you can maximize that earning potential until your in your 70s and maybe even 80s if you want. If you're the best basketball player in the world, you have until you're 40 tops to make your money. I don't like the idea of limiting their earning potential at all. Now I do with the NBA had a better developmental system, where guys could focus on improving their basketball skills while still making money, and I'd be all for teams offering college courses or help pay for college educations for the guys that want to have the education after their career is over, but forcing kids who couldn't care less about college to go to college for 4 years just to play basketball is pointless to me.

beasted86
03-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Double

beasted86
03-17-2015, 12:15 PM
I don't think some realize even the $25k D-league salary is more than some of their parents make for some of these students. Let them make their money or stop letting colleges exploit their students. They have $12M to pay a coach, but not like $20k to give students that could be working a part-time college job making that same amount, but can't because all their time is consumed practicing for the team?

tredigs
03-17-2015, 12:28 PM

C Rudy Gobert - 22.26
F Derrick Favors - 23.24
F Gordon Hayward - 24.36
G Rodney Hood - 22.14
G Dante Exum - 19.24
Average Age = 22.25

C Corbin Kaufusi - 21.91
F Josh Sharp - 24.76
F Chase Fischer - 22.1
G Tyler Haws - 23.92
Average Age = 23.23

One of these things is not like the other. The Jazz - in large part to a starting Gobert - are playing some of the better interior defense we have seen in years, and they are crushing because of it. Interesting that this is the crux of your post and dump them in w/ those other 3.

KnicksorBust
03-17-2015, 12:33 PM
One of these things is not like the other. The Jazz - in large part to a starting Gobert - are playing some of the better interior defense we have seen in years, and they are crushing because of it. Interesting that this is the crux of your post and dump them in w/ those other 3.

Hottest team in the NBA right now. 9-1 in their last ten. They have completely erased their point differential for the season. If they get a backcourt watch out.

scissors
03-19-2015, 03:19 PM
We have it completely backward. If you want to save college basketball you need to remove the NBA age limit. you will eliminate the 1 and dones and you will have more teams with upperclassmen playing team basketball. If a player wants to risk ruining his career to go to the NBA straight out of high school (or sooner) that's his choice.