PDA

View Full Version : The next player to record a Quadruple Double

JustinTime
03-14-2015, 12:46 AM
I was just looking up the last time someone recorded a Quadruple Double after Kyle Lowry's 19-8-8-7 game today and I was surprised to see that this hasn't been done since David Robinson in 1994. So who do you think will be the next to do this? My choice would be Westbrook since IMO he's the best player in the game and seems capable getting the rebounds/points and assists out of way in less than a half. Who do you got?

85BearsDefense
03-14-2015, 12:53 AM
Garnett

FlashBolt
03-14-2015, 01:04 AM
Better yet.. it's only been done four times. If anyone can do it, Westbrook or Davis will.

sixer04fan
03-14-2015, 01:09 AM
The homer in me says Nerlens or MCW will be able to get close at some points in their careers. Or Rondo. MCW or Rondo with steals. Nerlens with blocks.

GunFactor187
03-14-2015, 01:12 AM
Anthony Davis.

FlashBolt
03-14-2015, 01:15 AM
The homer in me says Nerlens or MCW will be able to get close at some points in their careers. Or Rondo. MCW or Rondo with steals. Nerlens with blocks.

Nerlens is a wannabe Anthony Davis. Totally forgot about him. Will be interesting to see how Sixers do. Embiid looked rather "healthy" with that dunk he did and Noel has been rather amazing the past few games. I actually think Sixers are a great team to play for. If Noel/Embiid are healthy, they could be the next twin tower front court. Tony Wroten will be a 15/5/5 player soon. Great future.

JustinTime
03-14-2015, 01:15 AM
Too bad Whiteside doesn't pass.

jerellh528
03-14-2015, 01:29 AM
Westbrook will get one with points, Rebs, assists, and turnovers

IKnowHoops
03-14-2015, 01:50 AM
DRob and Hakeem are the only two to do it since the stone aged. Anthony Davis is the only person with a chance to do it. Still its not gonna happen unless its a super talented athletic center with high basketball IQ

Trwood12
03-14-2015, 01:51 AM
Ad

Tony_Starks
03-14-2015, 01:59 AM
Cousins.

tredigs
03-14-2015, 02:44 AM
I was just looking up the last time someone recorded a Quadruple Double after Kyle Lowry's 19-8-8-7 game today and I was surprised to see that this hasn't been done since David Robinson in 1994. So who do you think will be the next to do this? My choice would be Westbrook since IMO he's the best player in the game and seems capable getting the rebounds/points and assists out of way in less than a half. Who do you got?

lmfao

WhosisKid
03-14-2015, 03:24 AM
Who is the fourth to do it?

I remember Nate Thurmond did it in the late sixties. I think he did it with points, rebounds, assists, and blocks.

Alvin Robertson, former stud defensive player and current career criminal, did it with, I think, points, rebounds, assists, and steals (he may have had the fastest hands I've ever seen - he started wearing sweat bands around his wrists so the refs could see his hands better - Jordan said he and Dumars were the only two guards who gave him trouble defensively). It is a shame he is such a thug today because it is hard to remember what a fine player he was.

After Robinson who was the next?

One thing to keep in mind is that only in the seventies did they start keeping close watch over a lot of stats. We know that Oscar Robertson AVERAGED triple doubles one season, but we don't know how many triple doubles he had in his career or if he ever had a quadruple double. Robertson would have had an unbreakable record in assists if they were recorded in his day as they are today. In the sixties, you had to make a pass that led directly to a score. Today they are a lot more lax about what it means to "lead to a score." Robertson was also probably the greatest rebounding guard in NBA history and was an outstanding scorer. It was noting for him to have a game where he scored 36, had 17 rebounds, dished out 13 assists, had 5 blocks, and 7 steals.

Didn't someone have a sort of a quadruple double by having 10 turnovers to go with points, rebounds, and assists?

Anyway, I don't remember the fourth. I just remember Nate, Robertson, and Robinson.

But getting it is all a matter of luck. Two players from the eighties who might have done it but didn't were Larry Bird and Sidney Moncrief. Both in at least one season led their team in points, rebounds, and assists, Bird as a forward and Moncrief as a guard (though his style of play was more like a small forward). Magic was another who might have done it but didn't. The problem is the 4th stat is so hard. A great shot blocker like Thurmond can maybe some day do it, but Bill Russell, who was the greatest shot blocker and rebounder of all time never did it (though he still holds the record for highest rebounds per minutes played and blocked shots per minutes played, but he simply didn't try to score and despite being maybe the second greatest outlet passer ever (after Wes Unseld, who is hands down the best ever at that) the offense for the Celtics didn't flow through him like it did with Chamberlain. And Chamberlain never did it, though he frequently had triple doubles (people forget what a great passer he was).

So more than anything it is luck. Michael Jordan never did it, though he was capable of ten steals like Robertson was. Same with Scottie Pippen.

asandhu23
03-14-2015, 03:26 AM
Draymond Green is a player who might someday do it.

Minimal
03-14-2015, 05:55 AM
If anyone is gonna do it, its Russell Westbrook.

And too bad they started counting blocks that late in NBA, because I bet Wilt Chamberlain was the king of quadruple doubles. Probably had hundred of them.

Goose17
03-14-2015, 06:15 AM
Westbrook will get one with points, Rebs, assists, and turnovers

LOL. I was going to say this.

Better yet.. it's only been done four times.

That we know of. I mean I bet Wilt had a few. I think Tim had one as well in that series against the Nets, I swear they must've not miscounted his blocks haha.

Personally I can't see Westbrook doing it, when is he ever going to get 10 steals or 10 blocks?

Anyone on a good night could get 10 points or 10 rebounds. So what we need to look at is steals/blocks and assists. You're far more likely to get 10 blocks than 10 steals.

That said, I think the best chance we have of seeing a Quadruple Double in todays game is with Davis. I think the next best chance is Cousins and then Ibaka.

If I absolutely had to pick a non-big man. Kawhi would be my dark horse pick. His high (in one game) for assists this season is 7, for blocks is 6, rebounds are 15 and for steals is 5. I could see him pulling off a 14-10-10-10 sort of game with increased minutes.

Lakers + Giants
03-14-2015, 06:43 AM
Cousins.

nah, max technicals is 2.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
03-14-2015, 08:53 AM
I was just looking up the last time someone recorded a Quadruple Double after Kyle Lowry's 19-8-8-7 game today and I was surprised to see that this hasn't been done since David Robinson in 1994. So who do you think will be the next to do this? My choice would be Westbrook since IMO he's the best player in the game and seems capable getting the rebounds/points and assists out of way in less than a half. Who do you got? Well the easy triple double is points, rebounds, assists. So picking a player will they get the quadruple double with steals or blocks? Big men can get the blocks. Last time I remember a quadruple double was with Hakeem.

KnicksorBust
03-14-2015, 10:07 AM
I would say Rondo but I am not sure he can get the points.

5ass
03-14-2015, 10:10 AM
Elfrid payton can do it someday.

RLundi
03-14-2015, 11:56 AM
I think Anthony Davis will do it next. Homer pick says Aaron Gordon will be able to do it one day.

HoopsDrive
03-14-2015, 12:06 PM
I'd say WB, easy enough for him to get pts+reb+ast so he only has to get 10 steals. No easy task mind you but without KD he has a better shot of getting it.

Does pts+reb+ast+to count? He would definitely be able to then... IIRC couple of players have done that in the past decade.

Miltstar
03-14-2015, 12:40 PM
Andrew Wiggins

ManningToTyree
03-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Anthony Davis.

But probably nobody anytime soon

BlueandWhite
03-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Kyle Lowry?

Sactown
03-14-2015, 02:07 PM
nah, max technicals is 2.

Blake, Markeef , Draymond, Barnes ,westy all have more

bleedprple&gold
03-14-2015, 02:30 PM
I'd say WB, easy enough for him to get pts+reb+ast so he only has to get 10 steals. No easy task mind you but without KD he has a better shot of getting it.

Does pts+reb+ast+to count? He would definitely be able to then... IIRC couple of players have done that in the past decade.

No TOs do not count. What are you going to do if you're a few TOs short, just start passing the ball to the other team? There's no skill involved there.

Ty Fast
03-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Cp3 with could do it with steals

benny01
03-14-2015, 03:42 PM
Bron or Noah. Just different names

Goose17
03-14-2015, 03:42 PM

Maybe, 10 steals is a stretch though.

diu9leilomo
03-14-2015, 03:43 PM
lebron with 10flops.

Just kidding im a lebron fan, and he could do it with either steals or block

benny01
03-14-2015, 03:59 PM
lebron with 10flops.

Just kidding im a lebron fan, and he could do it with either steals or block

At least your honest. I'd guess steals

goingfor28
03-14-2015, 05:28 PM
The Brow

HoopsDrive
03-14-2015, 06:10 PM
No TOs do not count. What are you going to do if you're a few TOs short, just start passing the ball to the other team? There's no skill involved there.

Oh I know, was just saying that in jest

HeatFan
03-14-2015, 06:13 PM
Too bad Whiteside doesn't pass.

True, lol.

HeatFan
03-14-2015, 06:13 PM
The Brow

Has to be him!! I could also see Steph Curry do it but not blocks. Would have to be steals.

Minimal
03-14-2015, 10:35 PM
How many triple doubles did Anthony Davis have this season? Its just a little bit funny that you all mention a guy to record a quadruple double, who only averages 1.8 assists per game.

Jeffy25
03-14-2015, 10:46 PM
Robinson did it in 94
Hakeem did it in 90
Alvin Robertson did it in 86

These are the only three times it has happened since 86

Kirilenko in 06 had a 15/11/8/8 - P/R/A/B game
Webber was two assists short in a game in 99
Hakeem was one assist short in another game in 90, and Robinson was 2 blocks short in another game in 94

In 02, Metta World Peace needed one more board, assist, and two more steals in a game
Mookie Blaylock needed two more boards in a game in 98
Drexler was one assist short twice, and one board short once
Bird was two steals short in 85
Michael Ray Richardson was a steal short in 85

It's just an unlikely thing to ever actually accomplish. Even if a player gets the 10 blocks of steals (which is the hardest thing to do I would argue), to still do that with a triple double is just insane.

As far as current players that could arguably accomplish it, I don't think there really is anyone that fits that profile, I would probably guess a big man that gets double doubles at a high frequency, because you can always have that one night where you get the 10 assists, or the 10 blocks/steals.

Jason Kidd would have been a good guess as someone who could have done it, but I guess he never did.

Jeffy25
03-14-2015, 10:49 PM
I guess Anthony Davis would make some sense.

Btw, Mario Chalmers on 2/20 had 6 boards, 8 steals, 7 assists and 13 points.

Kind of an unlikely guy to get anywhere close....he played 37 minutes, and Shabazz had a 7 turnover night, imagine if Mario had played more minutes?

Jeffy25
03-14-2015, 10:55 PM
Just realized that Westbrook has 8 Triple Doubles this season, I guess he would be a good guess. He hasn't topped 4 steals in any of those games, but if he could knock a 10 steal game, then he is a good guess.

Rondo, Harden, and MCW each have 3 Triple Doubles this season.

Note, Whiteside had a triple double this year with 0 assists (12 blocks, 13 boards, 14 points on 1-25)

I said Anthony Davis' name above, but he hasn't even had a triple double yet in his career (was one block short in a game in Oct and was one block and one board short in Nov of 13)

Verbal Christ
03-14-2015, 11:37 PM
Some anectdotal stuff about the subject and how close Dream was to 2 quadruple doubles within a couple of weeks of each other.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/27922/hakeem-olajuwons-phantom-quadruple-double

The NBA very briefly had a fifth quadruple-double in its record books, though. On March 3, 1990, Olajuwon of the Houston Rockets absolutely dissected the hapless Golden State Warriors en route to a 129-109 blowout. Olajuwon ended the game with a monstrous triple-double stat line: 29 points, 18 rebounds, and 11 blocks.

Of the current players I can see AD, KD, or Lebron doing it.

Cal827
03-15-2015, 12:43 AM
AD, Westbrook, MCW, and John Wall I think are the best candidates

Jeffy25
03-15-2015, 02:33 AM
Some anectdotal stuff about the subject and how close Dream was to 2 quadruple doubles within a couple of weeks of each other.

Yeah, he was only one assist short in the game that he missed out on it.

JasonJohnHorn
03-15-2015, 10:56 AM
DRob and Hakeem are the only two to do it since the stone aged. Anthony Davis is the only person with a chance to do it. Still its not gonna happen unless its a super talented athletic center with high basketball IQ

Alvin Robertson got it done with steals whilst Hakeem was playing.

JasonJohnHorn
03-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Right now, Joakim Noah is the only player who has gotten into double digits with points, rebounds, assists and blocks I think, though not in the same game. He'd be my pick.

AD is an obvious pick when he learns to make plays. He takes care of the ball well and passes well, but doesn't make plays the way Noah and Gasol do.

It is possible that either Curry, CP3 or MCW could pull it off with steals. All three of those guys have gotten double-digits in rebounds and could get a boatload of steals on a good night.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Anthony Davis, Joakim Noah or Rajon Rondo.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2015, 01:21 PM
I would say Rubio but I am not sure he can get the points.

IKnowHoops
03-15-2015, 02:33 PM

As Jeffy stated, Drob was also 2 blocks short of doing it a second time in 94.

Vinny642
03-15-2015, 07:44 PM
That Davis stat line lol

Goose17
03-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Is the game finished? At work. He was near.

kdspurman
03-15-2015, 08:19 PM
duncan came close in the 03 finals. 21/20/10/8 (2 blocks shy, though some have said they counted 10 watching the game lol)

i think Davis is a safe bet, but its obviously not an easy thing to accomplish

FlashBolt
03-15-2015, 08:23 PM
28/11/7/8 for AD... If this goes OT, he will get it.

sep11ie
03-15-2015, 08:50 PM
AD, Harden, Lebron and Westbrook are capable of doing it.

kdspurman
03-15-2015, 08:54 PM
AD, Harden, Lebron and Westbrook are capable of doing it.

what do you think the 4th is for harden? i assumed points/reb/assts (?)

xxplayerxx23
03-15-2015, 09:47 PM
AD will get it one day

BoSox47
03-15-2015, 10:42 PM
Marcus smart if he can score 10 points.

sixer04fan
03-15-2015, 11:37 PM
Haha damn. AD almost got it tonight

mRc08
03-15-2015, 11:57 PM
Lebron would probably be the most likely to do it. He passes, he is good enough defensively to get the blocks or steals. We know he can score and he is athletic enough to grab ten boards.

Problem is, I don't think its possible to do in a game unless you are completely focused on doing it. If lebron dialed in on each of those stat lines with zero regard for winning, selfishly he could probably do it. But to have it happen naturally over the course of a game is extremely unlikely.

FlashBolt
03-16-2015, 12:00 AM
Lebron would probably be the most likely to do it. He passes, he is good enough defensively to get the blocks or steals. We know he can score and he is athletic enough to grab ten boards.

Problem is, I don't think its possible to do in a game unless you are completely focused on doing it. If lebron dialed in on each of those stat lines with zero regard for winning, selfishly he could probably do it. But to have it happen naturally over the course of a game is extremely unlikely.

Nah, LeBron can't do it. Ten steals or ten blocks? LeBron James has never done either of those. To do it all simultaneously? He definitely isn't capable of that. Anthony Davis should have had it done. He had ten minutes to get three assists and two blocks. In those ten minutes, he only got a block.

rockets-fan
03-16-2015, 12:02 AM
what do you think the 4th is for harden? i assumed points/reb/assts (?)

Flops.

Haha jk by really maybe steals? He's been getting better at picking those lanes but unlike sepie, I doubt he would ever record one

lol, please
03-16-2015, 12:10 AM
What's the point of a triple double if you are inefficent doing it, basically chucking?

dhopisthename
03-16-2015, 02:23 AM
to put it into perspective there have only been 13 times in the history of the nba with more then 10 steals in a single game. http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/stl_game.html there have been 100+ 10 block games http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/blk_game.html
so picking a big makes sense.

who ever does it will just be a complete fluke of all the stars aligning

omdigga
03-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Lebron James

pts, rbs, asts, stls

even after reading the post above.

omdigga
03-17-2015, 09:28 AM
quick question:

If I deflect a pass and my teammate gets the ball. Do I get credit for the steal?

HoopsDrive
03-17-2015, 09:29 AM
quick question:

If I deflect a pass and my teammate gets the ball. Do I get credit for the steal?

Nah I don't think so, it's like with tipped rebounds as well, if you tip a missed shot out and a guard gets it the rebound is registered with the guard (I'm confident that's the case but correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

nickdymez
03-17-2015, 09:39 AM
lmfao
You're a troll

nickdymez
03-17-2015, 09:40 AM
No he can't bro

nickdymez
03-17-2015, 09:41 AM
What's the point of a triple double if you are inefficent doing it, basically chucking?
Here goes that stupid *** psd word, "chucking"

Clippersfan86
03-17-2015, 10:01 AM
Everyone seems to be forgetting that Anthony Davis missed one by like 2 blocks just the other night. He just turned 22. I think he will definitely get at least one.

kdspurman
03-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Everyone seems to be forgetting that Anthony Davis missed one by like 2 blocks just the other night. He just turned 22. I think he will definitely get at least one.

I don't think anyone is forgetting that, he was a common name brought up as an option. That game went to OT then Double OT i thought for sure he would get it.

dhopisthename
03-17-2015, 10:28 AM

like 50% of the people in this thread have said anthony davis. the homer in my says that if rudy gobert keeps improving his passing he might be able to come close one day. he is a very talented shot blocker

Minimal
03-17-2015, 03:28 PM
quick question:

If you deflect a pass nad teammate gets the ball as I know is basically considered as a pass. So you stole the ball and passed, sort of, so you get the steal.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Rubio could easily have a 12-11-10-10 game one day. Points/Rebounds/Assists/Turnovers

ewing
03-17-2015, 03:38 PM
i'm going to go with Kyle Korver. He does a little of everything, amirite?

Jeffy25
03-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Nah I don't think so, it's like with tipped rebounds as well, if you tip a missed shot out and a guard gets it the rebound is registered with the guard (I'm confident that's the case but correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

Yes, at least as far I understand it.

Jeffy25
03-17-2015, 03:59 PM
So Davis was 3 assists short, and 1 block short the other night.

But, just for reference, that 7 assists are his career high.

dhopisthename
03-17-2015, 04:35 PM
Steals:

A steal is made when a defender's aggressive action causes a turnover by either taking the ball away from the offensive player, intercepting a pass, or deflecting the ball away.

Key: The steal is always credited to the defender who initially disrupted the ball. It is never given to his teammate who corralled or ultimately recovered the ball.

Example: Kobe Bryant drives toward the hoop and the defender guarding him, Arron Afflalo, deflects Bryant's dribble without outright taking the ball from Bryant. The ball becomes loose and there's a scramble eventually culminating in Ty Lawson finally recovering the ball and running off for a fast break. Arron Afflalo will be given the steal, NOT Ty Lawson. Afflalo initiated the chain of events the result of which was a turnover -- even though the final benefactor was Lawson -- and is therefore given due credit for the steal.

JJ_JKidd
03-17-2015, 08:41 PM
James HARDEN NO DOUBT...................... ...............

D-Leethal
03-17-2015, 10:08 PM
Schved is the obvious answer. Don't even know his first name and quite frankly don't really care.

lol, please
03-18-2015, 12:32 AM
Schved is the obvious answer. Don't even know his first name and quite frankly don't really care.
:nod:

JEDean89
03-18-2015, 01:03 AM
10 steals is just crazy. IMO Anthony Davis and Giannis Antentokounmpo are the only guys with the game to do it. Giannis is 7 ft tall, he might be able to get the blocks and he runs the offense a lot as a point forward so he might be able to get the assists.

WOwolfOL
03-18-2015, 04:08 AM
Steals:

A steal is made when a defender's aggressive action causes a turnover by either taking the ball away from the offensive player, intercepting a pass, or deflecting the ball away.

Key: The steal is always credited to the defender who initially disrupted the ball. It is never given to his teammate who corralled or ultimately recovered the ball.

Example: Kobe Bryant drives toward the hoop and the defender guarding him, Arron Afflalo, deflects Bryant's dribble without outright taking the ball from Bryant. The ball becomes loose and there's a scramble eventually culminating in Ty Lawson finally recovering the ball and running off for a fast break. Arron Afflalo will be given the steal, NOT Ty Lawson. Afflalo initiated the chain of events the result of which was a turnover -- even though the final benefactor was Lawson -- and is therefore given due credit for the steal.
This is how it works on MyPlayer

valade16
03-18-2015, 09:52 AM
The obvious answer is the guy who just came very close, is an MVP candidate known for his well rounded game, and is only 22 with lots of room to improve.

If this were a betting proposition, Anthony Davis should be the overwhelming favorite.

D-Leethal
03-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Giannis in 3-4 years could be a nightly threat for **** like that.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2015, 01:52 PM

i't Sexy

ewing
03-18-2015, 02:16 PM
i't Sexy

It's Alexey "Sweaty Balls" Shved

Jeffy25
03-18-2015, 02:31 PM
The obvious answer is the guy who just came very close, is an MVP candidate known for his well rounded game, and is only 22 with lots of room to improve.

If this were a betting proposition, Anthony Davis should be the overwhelming favorite.

Except, again, his career high in assists is 7, which he just did the other night, and he's never had a triple double, or double digit blocks

the potential is there, obviously. But there are some guys like Westbrook that very well could be more likely, considering their propensity to getting triple doubles.

valade16
03-18-2015, 04:26 PM
Except, again, his career high in assists is 7, which he just did the other night, and he's never had a triple double, or double digit blocks

the potential is there, obviously. But there are some guys like Westbrook that very well could be more likely, considering their propensity to getting triple doubles.

True however assists are easier to accumulate than steals or blocks (as evidenced by the way more times people have gotten 10+ assists than steals or blocks) so I actually think it favors Anthony Davis in that it is easier, IMO, for a guy who routinely gets a lot of points, rebounds, blocks and steals to have a night where he is on fire passing it and accumulate 10 assists than it would be for a guy who gets a lot of points, rebounds and assists to get a lot of steals or blocks.

Also, we have to consider Anthony Davis is only 22 years old. He will almost certainly get better (which is a scary prospect). Durant's first 4 seasons he was at 2.7 APG, his last 4 were at 4.5. Scary prospect.

Jeffy25
03-18-2015, 04:26 PM
True however assists are easier to accumulate than steals or blocks (as evidenced by the way more times people have gotten 10+ assists than steals or blocks) so I actually think it favors Anthony Davis in that it is easier, IMO, for a guy who routinely gets a lot of points, rebounds, blocks and steals to have a night where he is on fire passing it and accumulate 10 assists than it would be for a guy who gets a lot of points, rebounds and assists to get a lot of steals or blocks.

Also, we have to consider Anthony Davis is only 22 years old. He will almost certainly get better (which is a scary prospect). Durant's first 4 seasons he was at 2.7 APG, his last 4 were at 4.5. Scary prospect.

Great argument

YAALREADYKNO
03-18-2015, 09:36 PM
Anthony Davis or Russell Westbrook

HoopsDrive
03-19-2015, 01:49 AM
Steals:

Does a similar rule apply to tipped rebounds as well? All this time I was under the impression that whoever had possesion at the end of a tip/scuffle would get the benefit of a rebound/steal. Good info though, learn something new every day.

Vee-Rex
03-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Lebron could get it.

Points, Assists, Rebounds, Turnovers.

dhopisthename
03-19-2015, 10:04 AM
Does a similar rule apply to tipped rebounds as well? All this time I was under the impression that whoever had possesion at the end of a tip/scuffle would get the benefit of a rebound/steal. Good info though, learn something new every day.

A rebound is credited when a player controls the recovery of the ball after a field goal attempt has been missed. Unlike with steals, the credit for a rebound is given to the player who "controls" the ball. "Control" is key here. If a loose ball is tapped up in the air by several players, the rebound is credited to the final player who ultimately corrals the ball.

It is important to note that you don't have to come down with the ball in order to be credited with a rebound. If a player taps the ball up in the air and mid-tap decides to pass the ball to his teammate, the tapper is credited with a rebound if the statistician feels he had "control" over the ball before making the pass.

so blindly tapping it back won't count, but tipping it to a teamate does count. it is very hard to judge based on this evidence

KnicksorBust
03-19-2015, 02:38 PM
A rebound is credited when a player controls the recovery of the ball after a field goal attempt has been missed. Unlike with steals, the credit for a rebound is given to the player who "controls" the ball. "Control" is key here. If a loose ball is tapped up in the air by several players, the rebound is credited to the final player who ultimately corrals the ball.

It is important to note that you don't have to come down with the ball in order to be credited with a rebound. If a player taps the ball up in the air and mid-tap decides to pass the ball to his teammate, the tapper is credited with a rebound if the statistician feels he had "control" over the ball before making the pass.

so blindly tapping it back won't count, but tipping it to a teamate does count. it is very hard to judge based on this evidence

That's why Tyson Chandler suddenly became a monster on the offensive boards. If it's a clean, direct tap-out to a teammate then you get the offensive rebound.