PDA

View Full Version : NBA Executive of the Year

slashsnake
03-12-2015, 11:17 AM
This could be interesting.

Lets say Danny Ferry comes back from his self imposed exile...

And lets say the Hawks end up with the best record in the NBA.

No real stars, a team built of so many pieces that has the best record has to be the team where the NBA exec of the year comes from right? Spurs, Nuggets, and Pacers have won the last three. Teams without a true elite superstar, that won a lot of games with lots of pieces that fit well.

Could be an interesting vote for the other GM's.

KnicksorBust
03-12-2015, 11:20 AM
It should be David Griffin in a landslide.

IKnowHoops
03-12-2015, 03:11 PM

This

ewing
03-12-2015, 03:14 PM

yep

slashsnake
03-12-2015, 08:54 PM
yep

I could see that, a-la Riley, you get Lebron and he gets his buddies, you made the best move. Just saying that for a GM to not have the chance at Lebron falling in your lap, and put together a better team....

Cal827
03-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Lol, not to Griffin (although I think he's near the top). They had LBJ just come back, and they ended up trading away a guy who looks like he might be the next superstar for a guy who might leave in the off-season.

Again, this is something that would be easier to decide at the end of the season. For example, If Cleveland wins it all, or at least comes close, and Love resigns, then I think he should get it. I'll give him credit for the minor moves that have bolstered the team though (Mozgov, etc).

I'll say Portland's Neil Olshey for the teams success near the top for a few yrs in a row (despite that they were expected to fall off a bit)

HeatFan
03-12-2015, 09:58 PM
Does Ferry get overlooked because of the Deng issue?

beasted86
03-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Does Ferry get overlooked because of the Deng issue?

Why would he get awarded when the team really didn't add anyone significant?

The coach should and will get all the credit there.

curtcocaine
03-12-2015, 11:48 PM
Joe

ewing
03-13-2015, 01:53 AM
I could see that, a-la Riley, you get Lebron and he gets his buddies, you made the best move. Just saying that for a GM to not have the chance at Lebron falling in your lap, and put together a better team....

the Cavs went from awful to championship level. Luck is involved but he clearly did the best job

FlashBolt
03-13-2015, 04:15 AM
Griffin.. no question. Not only did he land the best player in the game. He somehow managed to get three players who are btw, largely responsible for why they have been the best team the past two months.

Jeffy25
03-13-2015, 04:43 AM
Lol, not to Griffin (although I think he's near the top). They had LBJ just come back, and they ended up trading away a guy who looks like he might be the next superstar for a guy who might leave in the off-season.

Again, this is something that would be easier to decide at the end of the season. For example, If Cleveland wins it all, or at least comes close, and Love resigns, then I think he should get it. I'll give him credit for the minor moves that have bolstered the team though (Mozgov, etc).

I'll say Portland's Neil Olshey for the teams success near the top for a few yrs in a row (despite that they were expected to fall off a bit)

I don't really understand this thinking.

Griffin's work is already done, he can't do anything new to help himself win this award. We should be judging executive awards based on the work they did. Not the outcome of the performances (for example, LeBron could tear his ACL and be out the rest of the way, in which case, Cleveland probably gets bounced, how fair is that to Griffin in determining this award?)

Goose17
03-13-2015, 07:36 AM
I don't really understand this thinking.

Griffin's work is already done, he can't do anything new to help himself win this award. We should be judging executive awards based on the work they did. Not the outcome of the performances (for example, LeBron could tear his ACL and be out the rest of the way, in which case, Cleveland probably gets bounced, how fair is that to Griffin in determining this award?)

True but you don't know if it was the right decision/a good decision until it's over.

If Love leaves was that a good trade? Really? If J.R chokes in the playoffs again was that a good trade? If the bench doesn't perform was that as well constructed as it first seemed?

You don't know if his decision were good decisions until after we've seen the consequences of those decisions.

Signing Klay Thompson to the deal he's on was seen as stupid. Then he came out balling, breaking records and ish. Combine that with the massive cap increase. That move looks smarter every day. But it didn't initially.

What about Dragic? That seemed like a smart move to begin with but if they're not willing to give him a max and it turns out to be a 4 month rental or whatever then it wasn't a good trade.

Sactown
03-13-2015, 03:57 PM
True but you don't know if it was the right decision/a good decision until it's over.

If Love leaves was that a good trade? Really? If J.R chokes in the playoffs again was that a good trade? If the bench doesn't perform was that as well constructed as it first seemed?

You don't know if his decision were good decisions until after we've seen the consequences of those decisions.

Signing Klay Thompson to the deal he's on was seen as stupid. Then he came out balling, breaking records and ish. Combine that with the massive cap increase. That move looks smarter every day. But it didn't initially.

What about Dragic? That seemed like a smart move to begin with but if they're not willing to give him a max and it turns out to be a 4 month rental or whatever then it wasn't a good trade.

Eh 20/20 is always a *****, you have to evaluate each move as they're made not after..

If I bet everything I own (car money house) on 18 black are you saying that's a smart move? Of course its not.. even if I win sometimes it's better to be lucky than good but it doesn't make it a smart decision regardless of the results

JEDean89
03-13-2015, 05:46 PM
I was thinking about this because not only was Danny Ferry good enough to build the best team in the East, and a top 2 team in the league, he was able to do it by trading his biggest star and letting his 2nd biggest one walk. If Brooklyn can't stop it's slide then Atlanta will get a top 6-7 pick, there are some guys that can really improve there team off the bench next year. Maybe they get Booker to become Korver's protoge. They also get a future 1st from Minny, and own all their own picks. Griffin did a great job with the Shumpert/Smith and Mozgov trades but LBJ and Love fell in their lap. Let us not forget that Griffin got 3 1st round picks in 4 years and did a pretty horrific job of drafting (thompson over a number of better players, Waiters at 4 over Drummond, Bennet #1), I mean come on, you get 5 top 4 picks and LBJ in 4 years and you ended with only 2 of those picks being good, and they were the consensus #1 overalls. Ferry did a far better job than anyone except maybe Joe Lacob, who did a great job in GS.

D-Leethal
03-14-2015, 04:50 PM
Danny Ferry, racism and all.