PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs Summer of 03

Chronz
03-11-2015, 01:18 PM
June 15th 2003, Fathers Day......The Spurs have just won their 2nd championship, Duncan posts a near Quad-Double vs an overmatched Nets team but not before defeating the dynastic Lakers in the process.....

Then D-Rob retired, Stephen Jackson thought he would find big money elsewhere. So the Spurs had some holes to fill, luckily, they had a boat load of cap space to do it. I cant recall the last time a championship team had so much money to play with, it felt somewhat unfair to me at the time.

The Spurs had two primary targets, Jason Kidd and Jermaine O'Neal. They wound up with Hedo, Rasho and Horry. Now the Spurs have recovered just fine, but I've always wondered what if. The very next year, the Spurs were on the short list of potential suitors for T-Mac. All of them spurned the Spurs because they may have been too good to join. Looking back however, Jason Kidd has already expressed regret for the decision.

So a few questions

Between Kidd and Jermaine O'Neal, who would have made the biggest difference, both in the short and long term outlook. Who should the Spurs have pursued most heavily?

Would Kidd and Parker have gotten along? Do the Spurs trade their rising PG for frontcourt help? Would Jermaine and Duncan been the best Big-Man duo of all-time?

FlashBolt
03-11-2015, 04:52 PM
Don't think I could answer this simply based off the fact that I never watched the Spurs play. Hard to bet against Jermaine, though. Duncan never had a legitimate frontcourt partner since Robinson (who was already old) and he's made other frontcourt teammates of his look exceptionally well. I don't see how Parker+Kidd would have worked and besides, Parker was a much younger player and came onto his own fairly quick. Duncan+jermaine would have caused havoc tbh.

smith&wesson
03-11-2015, 06:45 PM
I see no need for Kidd with Parker there, I dont really think parker could have slid over to the 2 spot so I dont see how that would work, who would come off the bench ? I think you would have a pg delema there, i dont think either could be a sg full time.

However, I think a prime Duncan and JO front court would be scary stuff.. With JO's defensive and shot blocking ability he could have started at the 5 along side Timmy.

JO is just the better fit imo..

mightybosstone
03-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Parker hadn't developed much at that point, but in a few years, you could make a case that he was every bit the player that Kidd was. However, you could also make a strong case that a Kidd-Duncan duo at both player's peaks would have been even more successful and would have won more titles than the Spurs did from 2004-2014.

That being said, I think O'Neal would have been an amazing fit. Can you imagine the sheer versatility and defensive dominance that front court would have provided at O'Neal's peak? There wasn't a team in the league that could have handled that duo. Those two guys with Manu and Parker would have been a remarkable quartet that might have won 2-4 titles together before O'Neal's productivity fell off.

FlashBolt
03-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Parker hadn't developed much at that point, but in a few years, you could make a case that he was every bit the player that Kidd was. However, you could also make a strong case that a Kidd-Duncan duo at both player's peaks would have been even more successful and would have won more titles than the Spurs did from 2004-2014.

That being said, I think O'Neal would have been an amazing fit. Can you imagine the sheer versatility and defensive dominance that front court would have provided at O'Neal's peak? There wasn't a team in the league that could have handled that duo. Those two guys with Manu and Parker would have been a remarkable quartet that might have won 2-4 titles together before O'Neal's productivity fell off.

Tony Parker was a good player since he began, though. I don't see how much Kidd would have really been better than Parker tbh. Especially since Parker was a much better player while Kidd turned to a locker room presence sorta figure. Hard to see Kidd winning more than one with Duncan.

mightybosstone
03-11-2015, 07:23 PM
Tony Parker was a good player since he began, though. I don't see how much Kidd would have really been better than Parker tbh. Especially since Parker was a much better player while Kidd turned to a locker room presence sorta figure. Hard to see Kidd winning more than one with Duncan.

I think the fact that Parker wouldn't peak for several years both makes this a discussion worth having and gives Parker and the Spurs a benefit. On one hand, if you swap a 30-year-old Kidd for a 21-year-old Parker, those next 3-5 years would have given Duncan and Kidd a really, really solid window to win more titles while Kidd was still in his prime. On the flip side, while Parker took another 3-4 years to really hit his stride, he's still playing at a competent level 12 years later. Duncan wouldn't have had that with Kidd, and he certainly wouldn't have made two straight Finals appearances with Kidd instead of Parker in 2013 and 2014. Kidd was a complete shell of himself by 2013 and retired by 2014.

KnicksorBust
03-12-2015, 11:29 AM
If they signed Kidd they win the title in 2006.

kdspurman
03-12-2015, 11:41 AM
If they signed Kidd they win the title in 2006.

Idk if Kidd makes them 3 peat material personally. I feel like O'neal would have been more helpful, though I don't think it was a reality of getting him. Spurs had some serviceable bigs throughout that time, Rasho/Elson/Nazr Mohammad/Oberto, etc... (obviously Horry, but he was a reserve guy) But never did they have someone of JO's caliber to play alongside TD.

That front court would have been a terror defensively.

KnicksorBust
03-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Idk if Kidd makes them 3 peat material personally. I feel like O'neal would have been more helpful, though I don't think it was a reality of getting him. Spurs had some serviceable bigs throughout that time, Rasho/Elson/Nazr Mohammad/Oberto, etc... (obviously Horry, but he was a reserve guy) But never did they have someone of JO's caliber to play alongside TD.

That front court would have been a terror defensively.

Mid 2000s Kidd locks up Terry, then Nash, then Wade. Timmy was there for the paint. None of those teams, Dal/Pho/Mia had two bigs that you would need JO.

kdspurman
03-12-2015, 12:42 PM
Mid 2000s Kidd locks up Terry, then Nash, then Wade. Timmy was there for the paint. None of those teams, Dal/Pho/Mia had two bigs that you would need JO.

they had Bowen on the perimeter for those guys. I don't think he makes a difference in that series they lost, Dirk went sort of nuts. (And Manu sort of handed them the game late) Having JO would have been nice to throw at him just to give him different looks.

They beat the Suns already 4-1 in the 05 playoffs, so they were capable of that already w/o Kidd, and who knows what would've happened in the heat series.

kobe4thewinbang
03-12-2015, 03:48 PM
I think Jermaine O'Neal and Duncan would be better than Kidd & Duncan because Parker and others would've helped make up for not having Kidd, unless they could have them both which would've won championships.

KnicksorBust
03-12-2015, 04:54 PM
I am surprised people see JO and Kidd as comparable talents.

KnicksorBust
03-12-2015, 04:57 PM

they had Bowen on the perimeter for those guys. I don't think he makes a difference in that series they lost, Dirk went sort of nuts. (And Manu sort of handed them the game late) Having JO would have been nice to throw at him just to give him different looks.

They beat the Suns already 4-1 in the 05 playoffs, so they were capable of that already w/o Kidd, and who knows what would've happened in the heat series.

Bowen should be on Dirk not Terry.

kdspurman
03-12-2015, 05:26 PM
Bowen should be on Dirk not Terry.

he was at times. as was tim, horry, etc... and even then, manu was a pretty good defender in his day.

Pop ended up not playing another big with Duncan that series after like game 3 i think and went with Duncan/Bowen/Finley/Manu/Parker because there wasnt consistent enough play from the centers that series.

Diop and Dampier played pretty solid roles with their physicality that series too.

Ty Fast
03-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Kidd and Timmy would have been unstopable.

KnicksorBust
03-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Kidd and Timmy would have been unstopable.

Yup. Look at what Jkidd did for those Nets teams with RJ and Kmart. Now put him on a team that could already win a chip without him.