PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Roy

KnicksorBust
03-09-2015, 08:13 PM
I miss Brandon Roy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61dRAp0voaM&list=FLV7QDKVFsL3n7X41PFKKvgA&index=36

Ty Fast
03-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Me too. I wish him and oden could have stayed healthy.

Tony_Starks
03-09-2015, 08:35 PM
In his prime Kobe said Brandon Roy was his toughest cover....

PowerHouse
03-09-2015, 08:49 PM

Ummm actually T-mac is the guy Kobe said that about.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1740550-kobe-bryant-calls-tracy-mcgrady-the-toughest-guy-hes-ever-played-against

basch152
03-09-2015, 09:14 PM
I remember thinking when the Blazers drafted Oden that they were going to be one of the best teams for the next 10-15 years if they kept that team together.....

And then... well you guys know the history.

tmacsc2
03-09-2015, 09:49 PM
Roy would be right there with lebron and KD as for offensive games go and his D wasnt too shabby either

D-Leethal
03-09-2015, 10:18 PM

That was actually an epic rant from Ron Artest after Roy dropped 40 on him in a playoff game.

"Brandon Roy is the best player I've ever played against."

"Better than Kobe, LeBron?"

"Brandon Roy is the best player I've played against. Except this dude from my hood in Queensbridge..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC1PMNq6iII

D-Leethal
03-09-2015, 10:20 PM
The game he played on bum knees that basically sealed the deal for his career was so epic. Dropped 18 in the 4th against the future champion Mavs to spark a monster comeback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaTBKC2loLw

Tony_Starks
03-09-2015, 10:43 PM

That was actually an epic rant from Ron Artest after Roy dropped 40 on him in a playoff game.

"Brandon Roy is the best player I've played against. Except this dude from my hood in Queensbridge..."

Ahhh my man you are so right! I knew Kobe was in that convo somewhere and it surprised me.

Sidenite- Damn I miss Artest, that dude was as real as it gets!

IKnowHoops
03-09-2015, 11:07 PM
What set him apart was his super high b-ball IQ. Watching him, I used to think that this guy was Lebron James minus two inches, minus 40 lbs with Gary Payton athletic ability.

Chronz
03-09-2015, 11:09 PM
Ahhh my man you are so right! I knew Kobe was in that convo somewhere and it surprised me.

Kobe also said he was the most complete player outside of himself, that he came closest to matching his overall skillset or something.

Do you believe Artest was telling the truth about him being the tougher cover? I can certainly see why, Roy tore up the Rockets in ways that I dont even think Kobe did that year.

Tony_Starks
03-09-2015, 11:36 PM

Kobe also said he was the most complete player outside of himself, that he came closest to matching his overall skillset or something.

Do you believe Artest was telling the truth about him being the tougher cover? I can certainly see why, Roy tore up the Rockets in ways that I dont even think Kobe did that year.

I believe him. Roy was like a Kobe with a conscience.

Ty Fast
03-09-2015, 11:42 PM

I think ron artest said that

slaker619
03-09-2015, 11:43 PM
If only he stayed healthy

KnicksorBust
03-10-2015, 05:04 AM

If that dude didnt go to jail he would have been the GOAT.

PurpleJesus
03-10-2015, 07:10 AM
:laugh: Just another guy PSD would claim was overrated if he were to stay healthy, because championships mean everything.

R. Johnson#3
03-10-2015, 07:10 AM
Really one of the biggest disappointments in recent memory. I don't think there's one single basketball fan that disliked Brandon Roy. He played the game so damn well.

mightybosstone
03-10-2015, 09:03 AM
That video made me miss Roy AND Yao. :( Seriously, though, that game is one of the few regular season games I'll never forget, and was one of the most demoralizing regular season losses I've ever watched. I couldn't believe Yao made that shot, and I was 100 percent sure Houston had the win. And as you watch that ridiculous 30+ foot arching shot, you never actually think it's going in, but as it gets closer and closer to the net, you realize it's dead on. Devastating.

What the hell is up with Blazers players making devastating last second shots against the Rockets? Can we not have one of those again for like another decade? It would be much appreciated.

D-Leethal
03-10-2015, 10:40 AM

Artest is kinda like that old crazy dude that tells you stories from the past that you know cannot even possibly be true, but in their mind they sincerely believe it. I think he was being truthful, but looney toons like Artest are normally speaking nonsense even if they believe it.

LMAO, seriously I love that clip.

"I know Michael Jordan say he wish he could play me in his prime"

"I think Charles is a little overrated, he didn't play no defense"

We need more Ron Artest in the NBA.

valade16
03-10-2015, 11:23 AM
As a Blazer I miss Brandon Roy so much :(

LMA even mentioned when somebody asked him last season what it was like having Portland be your city and your team and he said "Portland is still B-Roy's city" and he was right. We embraced him so completely.

What he did against the Mavericks in the playoffs was one of my favorite moments in Sports. You knew it was his swan song but he refused to give up. He was so complete.

aLau10
03-10-2015, 11:43 AM
BRoy will forever stay as one of my favorite player... Sad how the knees takes out the careers of all my fave players

PurpleLynch
03-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Brando Roy was awesome and probably the most respected player in the Nba at the time. Seriously,I didn't see anyone complain about him for a lot of years,just compliments. And they were all deserved.
I wonder if excellent bball IQ could translate in a coaching career. At least he could win the title he deserves as a coach.

PurpleLynch
03-10-2015, 11:47 AM

Ahah I had the same thought!

MELO 15
03-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Ummm actually T-mac is the guy Kobe said that about.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1740550-kobe-bryant-calls-tracy-mcgrady-the-toughest-guy-hes-ever-played-against

Ummmm actually he said it about Melo.

http://youtu.be/mTUQWBguj9Y

MrfadeawayJB
03-10-2015, 12:14 PM
He would prob be the best sg in the league if he never got hurt

Chronz
03-10-2015, 12:44 PM

Your video is older and comes with the context of a comparison vs Bron and the current athletes he was facing.

Whereas the other video is not only newer but comes in a much more elaborate sit down where he discusses his entire career. He makes mention of Melo as well tho.

aman_13
03-10-2015, 02:12 PM
It's incredible that the Roy and Lillard game winners are at the exact same spot against the same team.

mightybosstone
03-10-2015, 02:19 PM
He would prob be the best sg in the league if he never got hurt

Mmmm... I wouldn't go that far. Roy had some fantastic years, but not even his best season stacks up to the year James Harden is having right now. If Roy had improved a bit over the years, maybe he could have been as good, but he peaked at 24 and Harden is 25, so that's probably unlikely.

valade16
03-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Mmmm... I wouldn't go that far. Roy had some fantastic years, but not even his best season stacks up to the year James Harden is having right now. If Roy had improved a bit over the years, maybe he could have been as good, but he peaked at 24 and Harden is 25, so that's probably unlikely.

Who said he peaked at 24? He had not yet reached his max potential before he started getting hurt. His 3rd year in the league he had a 24.0 PER, 123 Ortg, 5.9 VORP, .223 WS/48 (13.5 WS). He started getting hurt the next season.

Those numbers stack up to Harden's first 2 seasons in Houston. I agree Harden took it to another level this season and I'm not sure if you can say Roy would have for sure be better than Harden, but I don't think he had peaked yet. How many players who are healthy peak at 24?

D-Leethal
03-10-2015, 02:42 PM
As a Blazer I miss Brandon Roy so much :(

LMA even mentioned when somebody asked him last season what it was like having Portland be your city and your team and he said "Portland is still B-Roy's city" and he was right. We embraced him so completely.

What he did against the Mavericks in the playoffs was one of my favorite moments in Sports. You knew it was his swan song but he refused to give up. He was so complete.

Definitely something that gives you freakin' goosebumps watching in retrospect, knowing that basically sealed the deal on his career. Deep down he probably knew it as well, and he went HAM. Those are the moments that draw fans to sports - no aggregates, no spreadsheets, no "hot hands is nothing more than a statistical anomaly" - sheer will right there, and at its core that is what sports is all about.

mightybosstone
03-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Who said he peaked at 24? He had not yet reached his max potential before he started getting hurt. His 3rd year in the league he had a 24.0 PER, 123 Ortg, 5.9 VORP, .223 WS/48 (13.5 WS). He started getting hurt the next season.
Exactly my point. He was 24 in that third season. Could he have gotten better? Sure. But we don't know that, and there is no way to estimate projected growth for a player who gets hurt and is out of the league two years later. If he had stayed at that level for another decade, we'd be talking about him in the same breath as guys like Vince Carter. But he never had a season as good Harden's current year.

Those numbers stack up to Harden's first 2 seasons in Houston. I agree Harden took it to another level this season and I'm not sure if you can say Roy would have for sure be better than Harden, but I don't think he had peaked yet. How many players who are healthy peak at 24?
Quite a few players do actually. Heck, look at some of the guys at Roy's position in the last 10-15 years. McGrady was actually 23 in his epic 02-03 season. Carter's best season was definitely 01-02, when he was 24 years old (also his third season in the league). Iverson's best season was probably the year before in 00-01 when he was 25. Ray Allen probably had his best season at 25. And Kobe's second best season (02-03) came when he was only 24. His best was probably three years later, but it wasn't substantially better than that year, which was easily the best season he had with Shaq.

Chronz
03-10-2015, 03:36 PM

Yeah but come playoffs...... Its easy to see why Roy would be the best SG. Thats where he differentiates himself from Harden. Dude had a knack for rising to the occasion

And honestly, even then you could argue Roy. The numbers aren't really that decisive, unless you expect me to buy his DWS stock. He has a higher usage% but Roy never really got the chance to do that. They each proved differing levels of efficiency, given Roy's drastically short prime/peak run, its hard to substantiate but easy to speculate. For the sake of argument tho, we could turn to the good ol skill curve theory on any sort of projection.

PowerHouse
03-10-2015, 03:50 PM

Um....no. Nice try though. Chronz took the words right out of my mouth on that one.

Shady66
03-10-2015, 03:52 PM
I remember him making clutch half court shots lol. Dude was so good. Slasher that had a decent 3 point shot, deadly from mid. Its too bad about his knees

Rain City
03-10-2015, 04:15 PM
miss him so much. followed him close since Frosh in college. rare guy who stayed all 4 yrs, coulda left after 2, differed to guys unselfishly, added to his game each season by his sr yr he was 1st team All american. ROTY, year 2, AS, 2nd team All NBA, etc..

he played in such a way where scouts said he didnt do anything great, but the truth was he did everything you ask a SG to do really good which made him unstoppable.

the guy was so nice. under the radar but was just a slight notch below a prime kobe and wade, put up big stats with efficiency, in the flow of games, on playoff teams. one of the top closers in the game. great teammate.

b roy was the guy capable to bring a title to p town, surpass clyde as the franchises all time greatest and have a spot in HOF. just too bad. glad he's getting some respect in this thread tho.

D-Leethal
03-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Reminded me of Paul Pierce the way he wasn't faster, stronger or have a lightening quick first step, but you simply could not prevent him from getting exactly where he wanted to go or from getting the requisite space to get exactly the shot he wanted off on you.

D-Leethal
03-10-2015, 04:38 PM
There would be no Lillard but just imagine what could have been if that Portland team stayed healthy with Roy-Aldridge-Oden. Kudos to that FO for not throwing in the towel and retooling in a matter of 3-4 years after not one but two devastating, career ending injuries.

Hawkeye15
03-10-2015, 04:48 PM
There would be no Lillard but just imagine what could have been if that Portland team stayed healthy with Roy-Aldridge-Oden.

omg that roster would have destroyed it

rapsjaysfan88
03-10-2015, 05:08 PM
I wish Portland could have had there big 3 together and healthy 4 at least 5 yrs... It's a shame

valade16
03-10-2015, 05:20 PM
omg that roster would have destroyed it

We also had Nicolas Batum at that point. I'm still amazed we went from being the next Thunder to have 2/3 of our presumptive cornerstones retire to being back in contention so soon.

D-Leethal
03-10-2015, 09:03 PM
We also had Nicolas Batum at that point. I'm still amazed we went from being the next Thunder to have 2/3 of our presumptive cornerstones retire to being back in contention so soon.

Talk about retooling - you guys even scrapped the coach and GM after the Oden/Roy era right? McMillain and Pritchard left, you guys scooped up some new blood and went right back at it. Respect.

dhopisthename
03-10-2015, 09:04 PM

you can thank the nets. a #6 pick for a very rapidly againg gerald wallace will go down in the history books

Hawkeye15
03-11-2015, 12:22 PM

it's very surprising honestly. The Lillard pick was huge, and so was the Lopez trade.

Hawkeye15
03-11-2015, 12:23 PM
you can thank the nets. a #6 pick for a very rapidly againg gerald wallace will go down in the history books

seriously

CluTcH_c1tY
03-12-2015, 10:17 AM
There would be no Lillard but just imagine what could have been if that Portland team stayed healthy with Roy-Aldridge-Oden. Kudos to that FO for not throwing in the towel and retooling in a matter of 3-4 years after not one but two devastating, career ending injuries.
The Blazers and Rockets are mirror images of themselves. The Rockets as well lost both superstars to injuries (yao, tmac). They didn't tank and eventually acquired Harden and Dwight. As you watched last night the commentators kept noting that both teams are ranked similarly in several categories as well as record.

valade16
03-12-2015, 10:24 AM
it's very surprising honestly. The Lillard pick was huge, and so was the Lopez trade.

It is mostly thanks to Olshey, who came over from the Clippers. He sat down with LMA after Aldridge was expressing interest in moving on to compete and basically asked him "what do you need to succeed" and LMA said a rim protecting Center, which led Olshey to get Lopez.

KnicksorBust
03-12-2015, 11:07 AM
It is mostly thanks to Olshey, who came over from the Clippers. He sat down with LMA after Aldridge was expressing interest in moving on to compete and basically asked him "what do you need to succeed" and LMA said a rim protecting Center, which led Olshey to get Lopez.

I heard Bosh said the same thing to Pat Riley... and thus Hassan Whiteside was born.