PDA

View Full Version : Ex-NBA executive: Thunder could trade Durant

HeatFan
03-09-2015, 05:59 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/exnba-executive-thunder-could-trade-durant-345400.html

What????

I get it that you may want him to commit long term before next year's deadline but this is really a shocker to me. Durant to me was one of the most untradeable players in the NBA.

Would it work?

tredigs
03-09-2015, 06:04 PM
It's an ex VP of operations for the Blazers sharing his opinion on a morning radio show. It means nothing.

The team looks weak with Westbrook at the helm though, so I'm not sure what they're talking about. They're 12-10 and needed OT wins against teams like Philly... it's not pretty. Obviously this is only something you do if you're positive KD is leaving town after next season.

HeatFan
03-09-2015, 06:07 PM
It's an ex VP of operations for the Blazers sharing his opinion on a morning radio show. It means nothing.

The team looks weak with Westbrook at the helm though, so I'm not sure what they're talking about. They're 12-10 and needed OT wins against teams like Philly... it's not pretty. Obviously this is only something you do if you're positive KD is leaving town after next season.

Would you trade him if he did not commit prior to the deadline? even without any indication he wants to leave?

FlashBolt
03-09-2015, 06:08 PM
I don't think this is something we have to do. In the most negative way, the only reason we would trade KD away is if his injuries are prolonged and or if it's definite if he leaves. With KD, OKC are a top 5 team.. easily.

Westbrook
KD
Morrow
Kanter
Ibaka

We can beat anyone. I think KD knows that and if it weren't for injuries, they would have a top seed and KD would be MVP.

colinskik
03-09-2015, 06:12 PM

For argument's sake, let's say WB did become the main piece in OKC and they surrounded him with complementary pieces. They would be a lot stronger than they are under the current construction. It could be like the Iverson Philly teams but better.

tredigs
03-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Would you trade him if he did not commit prior to the deadline? even without any indication he wants to leave?

Not unless the offer was unbelievable. Looking at it from a Warriors perspective, the least I'd take if I'm OKC would be a package like Klay + Barnes + 2 1st round picks (and it's a trade OKC loses big time).

It would be the 2nd time they traded a marquee player out of fear, something Westrook and Ibaka would be thinking about for their own free agencies the summer after next.

So pretty much, no, I would 100% not trade him.

For argument's sake, let's say WB did become the main piece in OKC and they surrounded him with complementary pieces. They would be a lot stronger than they are under the current construction. It could be like the Iverson Philly teams but better.

I could not disagree more.

FlashBolt
03-09-2015, 06:19 PM

If you think WB>KD, you are totally incorrect. KD is far better than WB is. WB is a great player and I love to watch him but his USG% is the highest ever. It's much better to build around KD than WB and anyone logical would agree to that.

colinskik
03-09-2015, 06:29 PM
If you think WB>KD, you are totally incorrect. KD is far better than WB is. WB is a great player and I love to watch him but his USG% is the highest ever. It's much better to build around KD than WB and anyone logical would agree to that.

Where did I say that WB is better than KD?

I said, "For argument's sake," which means let's take the argument and flesh it out. If we're assuming this rumor is even true, which it isn't, then a reason to support it IMO is because WB can be the Iverson-type player on a team that adds complementary pieces around him without KD.

But to be completely clear, I think OKC will do everything they can to keep both guys.

colinskik
03-09-2015, 06:30 PM
I could not disagree more.

Cool

Goose17
03-09-2015, 06:31 PM
LOL. Nonsense.

More likely to trade Westy than KD. His stock is rising. Sell high.

R. Johnson#3
03-09-2015, 06:34 PM
DeRozan, Raptors 2016 1st and Knicks 2016 1st

IndyRealist
03-09-2015, 06:37 PM
You do not trade a top 5 player, unless it's a sign and trade and he flat out refuses to stay. No matter how many picks and prospects you get, you'll almost never get equal value. And if one of your picks becomes a superstar, you've got to wait years for him to matter.

kobe4thewinbang
03-09-2015, 06:52 PM
OKC should not trade Kevin freaking Durant for anything less than the best two players of 20 teams. LOL.

tredigs
03-09-2015, 06:57 PM
Where did I say that WB is better than KD?

I said, "For argument's sake," which means let's take the argument and flesh it out. If we're assuming this rumor is even true, which it isn't, then a reason to support it IMO is because WB can be the Iverson-type player on a team that adds complementary pieces around him without KD.

But to be completely clear, I think OKC will do everything they can to keep both guys.

You said they'd be 'a lot stronger with a team built around Westbrook' than their current look. Barring a scenario where we are also replacing Brooks with Popovich (where they'd still be worse than the current squad), this is pretty much an impossibly tough opinion to back up. For reference, when this OKC team is 100% they are a hell of a lot better than Iverson's Sixers teams. This team is not good with Westbrook as the #1. They are struggling to stay above .500. You could obviously make them much stronger with a trade, but I'm not a fan of an ultra high usage PG who can't really shoot as the #1 instead of arguably the best player in the MVP.

da ThRONe
03-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Technically he's right they could trade Durant. And technically I could win the powerball.

Blitzace137
03-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Trade him to the Knicks for our top four this year, 2018 first, 2020 first, THJ and second rounders.

TyrionLannister
03-09-2015, 07:25 PM
And this is why he's no longer employed.

KnicksorBust
03-09-2015, 07:33 PM
I have said for years that Westbrook and Durant hold each other back. This recent push by Westbrook just proves my point.

lol, please
03-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Warriors.

NYSpirit1
03-09-2015, 07:48 PM
LOL - you all think this is so impossible.

We're talking about a GM who traded James freaking Harden for a bag of balls because he didn't want to pay him.

So you're telling me, if the Knicks approached the Thunder in June with the 1st overall pick in the draft, along with future picks in a trade straight up for Durant, they wouldn't even think about it for a second?

Hmm... should I let Durant potentially walk for nothing or should I make a trade and get a 19-year-old stud like Karl Towns, who athletically could run the league with Russell Westbrook. Surround those two with a ton of good players? Still a championship team and you don't have to worry about either leaving, like you do with Durant in 12 months.

You all act like the Thunder work with KD and Westbrook. They don't. It's like a good relationship between two people. Yeah, they're good together. But KD is his BEST SELF without Westbrook and Westbrook is his BEST SELF without Durant. Look at the splits, they don't lie. Durant went 36/6/6 on insane percentages wtihout Westbrook last year and Westbrook is on a historically good run without Durant.

They shouldn't be together. It's never going to work. Westbrook needs the ball in his hands 24/7. It's like Kobe and Shaq, but with less volatile personalities. It's two alpha males with only one throne. And they haven't even won a title. Not one. They won't in that Western Conference either. This will come to a head. Mark my words. I don't see them as teammates much longer.

Bostonjorge
03-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Klay, Barnes and green for durant is a great haul.

Also beal, porter and maybe gortat.

What about Gordon, Evans, Asik and 1st rd pick.

lol, please
03-09-2015, 08:01 PM
Klay, Barnes and green for durant is a great haul.

Also beal, porter and maybe gortat.

What about Gordon, Evans, Asik and 1st rd pick.

Barnes and Green for Durant, maybe, Klay isn't going anywhere. The goal is to have Curry, Klay, Durant, and Davis all on the same roster within 2 years.

TheNumber37
03-09-2015, 08:04 PM
For What?
Cousins, Mclemore, Stauskus and a 1st.

Bradley Beal, Gortat, Webster and 2015 1st, 2016 1st.

Can't get equal value

Blitzace137
03-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Wizards could offer a nice package and he's from DC.

Ty Fast
03-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Trade him for Greg Oden

Ty Fast
03-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Two options here
1. Knicks for The number one overall pick, future draft picks, and the trade exception.

2. Bulls with something involving Jimmy Butler.

da ThRONe
03-09-2015, 08:34 PM
I have said for years that Westbrook and Durant hold each other back. This recent push by Westbrook just proves my point.

Hold each other back from putting up crazy stats maybe, but not winning and that's far more important.

jerellh528
03-09-2015, 08:47 PM
There's no possible way to get equal value for him. But if okc knows for a fact that he will leave via free agency, might as well choose your favorite package for him.

KnicksorBust
03-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Hold each other back from putting up crazy stats maybe, but not winning and that's far more important.

With guys as talented as Durant and Westbrook you need more than just 1 finals appearance where you get run over...

Kobe and Shaq should have won more than 3...
LeBron and Wade should have won more than 2...
Durant and Westbrok should have won more than 0..

tredigs
03-09-2015, 09:00 PM
With guys as talented as Durant and Westbrook you need more than just 1 finals appearance where you get run over...

Kobe and Shaq should have won more than 3...
LeBron and Wade should have won more than 2...
Durant and Westbrok should have won more than 0..

They haven't had a healthy squad the past 2 playoffs and they play in the West, what do you expect?

Ty22Mitchell
03-09-2015, 09:12 PM
This is just the media trying to get ratings.

If I were to approach this question like a GM, I would trade Westbrook well before KD. KD is the third best player in the league at worst, and (IMO) it just doesn't make sense to ditch him for a volume scoring guard (dime a dozen) who doesn't make his teammates better (efficiency??). I wish Russell the best and hope this doesn't sound demeaning, but God help the team that has Westbrook as their "franchise guy."

I think Bill Simmons said it on a podcast, but why aren't the Thunder going all in? They have two prime superstars. It feels like they're just waiting out LeBron's prime.

LakersIn5
03-09-2015, 11:43 PM
Let durant leave for free agency and go to the lakers lol

SPURSFAN1
03-10-2015, 12:29 AM
Let durant leave for free agency and go to the lakers lol

http://lakersnationph.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Kevin_durant_Lakers_final.png

Vee-Rex
03-10-2015, 12:36 AM
I'm taking KD over every other player in the league if I'm starting a franchise.

I'd never ever trade him unless I'm absolutely certain he's leaving.

IKnowHoops
03-10-2015, 12:40 AM

Your not gonna get any better than you are gonna be with a healthy Durant.

PowerHouse
03-10-2015, 12:41 AM
They haven't had a healthy squad the past 2 playoffs and they play in the West, what do you expect?

True but they should have closed the deal in 2012 when they were the most loaded with talent. That was the closest they're going to get unfortunately.

tredigs
03-10-2015, 12:42 AM
I'm taking KD over every other player in the league if I'm starting a franchise.

I'd never ever trade him unless I'm absolutely certain he's leaving.

And even if you truly believe he will, I'd rather roll the dice and try to win the title and hope that would be enough to sway their opinion. Worst case scenario you get 20 extra mil to play with in free agency. Though I'm not sure how many players would be excited about heading to Oklahoma with Westbrook running wild using any and all possessions.

True but they should have closed the deal in 2012 when they were the most loaded with talent. That was the closest they're going to get unfortunately.

Maybe, maybe not. They were arguably the best team in the NBA the past 2 seasons before they got hurt, this season is far from over, and if they're healthy next year? Same deal. They'll be a favorite.

IKnowHoops
03-10-2015, 03:08 AM
Barnes and Green for Durant, maybe, Klay isn't going anywhere. The goal is to have Curry, Klay, Durant, and Davis all on the same roster within 2 years.

Barnes and Green for Durant is absolutely laughable. I wouldn't trade Durant for all three of them. There is no trade out there I would do accept for Lebron straight up. Klay/Steph/Green possibly or Lamarcus/Mathews/Batum/Lillard. Otherwise KD is totally untradeable for me. But its like trading Bron. There one of a kind by a long shot. You can't trade them. Especially with free agency, the way it is, and how easy it is to get other great players, not sure I'd want to take back four guys on the same team, when I can take back one or two and then pick from other teams free agents.

Chronz
03-10-2015, 03:11 AM
If I lose a player of KD's caliber and I havent yet won a ring, you may as well rebuild the whole thing rather than try and make up the loss eventually. Maybe WB changes the equation but it would take some miracle package to rebuild around him. Where would Durant even want to be traded?

Blitzace137
03-10-2015, 03:48 AM
If I lose a player of KD's caliber and I havent yet won a ring, you may as well rebuild the whole thing rather than try and make up the loss eventually. Maybe WB changes the equation but it would take some miracle package to rebuild around him. Where would Durant even want to be traded?

Knicks duh? joking but actually might be a possibility since him and Melo are boys. The likely team he prefers to get traded to is DC, since he's from there.

*Silver&Black*
03-10-2015, 04:15 AM
KD for Davis, just to see Anthony Davis and GOAT Westbrook.

dnl123
03-10-2015, 06:55 AM
If there was any way to get him to re-sign I would say my TWolves should offer the entire roster for him. haha.

omdigga
03-10-2015, 08:56 AM
its an interesting debate given how Westbrook has been playing, but I think trading Durant would go down as one of the worst GM moves in NBA history.

mike_noodles
03-10-2015, 10:16 AM
I called it in the summer. Not saying for sure that they would trade him, but rival execs will call and OKC will listen as long as there is no extension in place.

ewing
03-10-2015, 10:19 AM
do you think they would have interest in bargnani's expiring next year? they could really position themselves for 2017

D-Leethal
03-10-2015, 10:36 AM
I think the reason they would trade KD is because Westbrook has another year. They would probably trade Westbrook too in that scenario, but Presti has set precedent of trading guys before the free agency hoopla that comes with their expiring season. Similar to when Utah cut ties with Deron a year early. Someone throws a top 3 pick and another first at them they might be ballsy enough to do it.

I see no reason why KD would stay there, and I think Russell will have his eyes on the LA spotlight once his contract is up. They had a chance to build a dynasty and **** the bed with the Harden trade, unless they win a title this year, I think its a wrap for this OKC core.

beasted86
03-10-2015, 12:00 PM
LOL - you all think this is so impossible.

We're talking about a GM who traded James freaking Harden for a bag of balls because he didn't want to pay him.

So you're telling me, if the Knicks approached the Thunder in June with the 1st overall pick in the draft, along with future picks in a trade straight up for Durant, they wouldn't even think about it for a second?

Hmm... should I let Durant potentially walk for nothing or should I make a trade and get a 19-year-old stud like Karl Towns, who athletically could run the league with Russell Westbrook. Surround those two with a ton of good players? Still a championship team and you don't have to worry about either leaving, like you do with Durant in 12 months.

You all act like the Thunder work with KD and Westbrook. They don't. It's like a good relationship between two people. Yeah, they're good together. But KD is his BEST SELF without Westbrook and Westbrook is his BEST SELF without Durant. Look at the splits, they don't lie. Durant went 36/6/6 on insane percentages wtihout Westbrook last year and Westbrook is on a historically good run without Durant.

They shouldn't be together. It's never going to work. Westbrook needs the ball in his hands 24/7. It's like Kobe and Shaq, but with less volatile personalities. It's two alpha males with only one throne. And they haven't even won a title. Not one. They won't in that Western Conference either. This will come to a head. Mark my words. I don't see them as teammates much longer.

And that would be so "Knicks"... trade a #1 overall pick PLUS additional picks for a guy who will soon make a "new max" $30M per year salary instead of 7-9 seasons of a younger player at way less per year.

JasonJohnHorn
03-10-2015, 01:34 PM
I read this an though, any players name and any team could be put in place of "Durant" and "OKC".

Some former GM is saying that a team with the rights to a player could trade him. Um... that's news?

Yes... they could him, or trade Westy, or keep both and trade somebody else, or sign somebody else, or maybe the Heat could trade Mario Chambers, or the Clippers could trade Blake Griffin

Just some GM rambling and playing fantasy GM because he doesn't have a job any more.

KD is the better player. Westy is on a tear, but you don't trade a franchise player because an athletic guy who is injury prone tears it up for a few weeks during the regular season. KD's game is good for the long haul. He's a shooter, and like Dirk and Ray Allen, could be playing at an All-Star level until the age of 36 or 37, where as Westy's athleticism will slow down by the age of 30 or 31.

The only reason they'd trade KD is if he let them know he's sign elsewhere, or they believed he would, or if he asked for a trade.

colinskik
03-10-2015, 02:24 PM
You said they'd be 'a lot stronger with a team built around Westbrook' than their current look. Barring a scenario where we are also replacing Brooks with Popovich (where they'd still be worse than the current squad), this is pretty much an impossibly tough opinion to back up. For reference, when this OKC team is 100% they are a hell of a lot better than Iverson's Sixers teams. This team is not good with Westbrook as the #1. They are struggling to stay above .500. You could obviously make them much stronger with a trade, but I'm not a fan of an ultra high usage PG who can't really shoot as the #1 instead of arguably the best player in the MVP.

What I meant was OKC could be a lot stronger than their current look with KD injured. It would basically be what they have been running out there the last several weeks plus all the pieces/money they'd get from trading KD.

For the record, I don't like the Iverson Sixers model either (even though it is fun to watch) because an injury to the main guy is a death sentence. But i think WB could run that system better than Iverson did since he's a more complete player.

D-Leethal
03-10-2015, 02:49 PM
And that would be so "Knicks"... trade a #1 overall pick PLUS additional picks for a guy who will soon make a "new max" $30M per year salary instead of 7-9 seasons of a younger player at way less per year.

To be fair, Durant is going to go down as one of the greatest to ever play the game, top 20 all time talent. If the #1 overall pick this year ends up being on a Blake Griffin level, thats a beautiful trade for the team trading the pick. If he is on Anthony Davis level, not so much.

beasted86
03-10-2015, 03:20 PM
To be fair, Durant is going to go down as one of the greatest to ever play the game, top 20 all time talent. If the #1 overall pick this year ends up being on a Blake Griffin level, thats a beautiful trade for the team trading the pick. If he is on Anthony Davis level, not so much.
Seems to be infecting the entire fan base. You can sign him outright with cap space in the summer at end of next season to add with your #1 pick, but instead you'd trade multiple firsts for him 1 season earlier? So "Knicks"....

MILLERHIGHLIFE
03-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Seems to be infecting the entire fan base. You can sign him outright with cap space in the summer at end of next season to add with your #1 pick, but instead you'd trade multiple firsts for him 1 season earlier? So "Knicks"....

Sign and trade means the star gets his bird rights and fifth year for contract extension. Leaving in free agency and loses that fifth year and money on the table with a four year deal.

KnicksorBust
03-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Melo + the #1 overall pick for Kevin Durant

Who wins the trade? Knicks or Thunder

Corey
03-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Melo + the #1 overall pick for Kevin Durant

Who wins the trade? Knicks or Thunder
Interesting. I like it better for the Knicks because I can see players wanting to play with KD over Melo. Yeah, you give up the #1, but you get (arguably) a top 2 player in the league for (possibly) the next 4-5 years. I think that would pay more dividends, even if Okafor/Towns pan out.

Obviously the first thing I thought of was "What could Boston trade" (....nothing)

They have a slew of picks, Olynyk, Sullinger, Zeller, and a ton of depth pieces. I doubt they'd say Smart, Thomas, Bradley are off limits if Durant was on the table.

Durant wasn't what I had in mind, but Ainge is definitely waiting for an all-star caliber player to become available with all the depth pieces and picks he has. (KD will never happen)

KnicksorBust
03-12-2015, 12:35 PM
Interesting. I like it better for the Knicks because I can see players wanting to play with KD over Melo. Yeah, you give up the #1, but you get (arguably) a top 2 player in the league for (possibly) the next 4-5 years. I think that would pay more dividends, even if Okafor/Towns pan out.

Obviously the first thing I thought of was "What could Boston trade" (....nothing)

They have a slew of picks, Olynyk, Sullinger, Zeller, and a ton of depth pieces. I doubt they'd say Smart, Thomas, Bradley are off limits if Durant was on the table.

Durant wasn't what I had in mind, but Ainge is definitely waiting for an all-star caliber player to become available with all the depth pieces and picks he has. (KD will never happen)

The fact that it would take Melo AND the #1 overall pick to get Durant and you say the Knicks win the trade... I don't know if that says more about Melo or more about KD.

KnicksorBust
03-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Sidenote: With Durant in NY, Marc Gasol wouldn't seem like such a long shot anymore.

Verbal Christ
03-12-2015, 01:01 PM
I'd send them anything but Harden for KD if they were willing.

Corey
03-12-2015, 01:34 PM
The fact that it would take Melo AND the #1 overall pick to get Durant and you say the Knicks win the trade... I don't know if that says more about Melo or more about KD.

It wasn't meant to disrespect Melo.

I just think KD is transcendent and any team that gets him would automatically get a leg-up in free agency in terms of attracting role players and other top talent. Everyone knows what type of teammate and competitor he is. If he can co-exist with another high USG player like Westbrook, he can coexist with anyone.

I think Melo is one of the most talented scorers in the league, and I think the #1 pick holds a TON of value this year...I just think five years of prime KD is worth more.

Whats your opinion on the same question...as a neutral fan Im curious if your opinion differs being an NYK fan.

kobe4thewinbang
03-14-2015, 09:58 PM
Carmelo & #1 pick for KD?

No way. KD > Melo. Both can score, but Melo is not on KD's level.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2015, 01:30 PM

It wasn't meant to disrespect Melo.

I just think KD is transcendent and any team that gets him would automatically get a leg-up in free agency in terms of attracting role players and other top talent. Everyone knows what type of teammate and competitor he is. If he can co-exist with another high USG player like Westbrook, he can coexist with anyone.

I think Melo is one of the most talented scorers in the league, and I think the #1 pick holds a TON of value this year...I just think five years of prime KD is worth more.

Whats your opinion on the same question...as a neutral fan Im curious if your opinion differs being an NYK fan.

If I had a guarantee of KD staying in NY his whole career I would have to consider it but realistically the Knicks would be better keeping the pick. I am very high on the top of this year's draft class.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Carmelo & #1 pick for KD?

No way. KD > Melo. Both can score, but Melo is not on KD's level.

Well no ****. Lol but with Melo and a potential rookie superstar like Okafor that is different.

Bostonjorge
03-18-2015, 01:55 AM
Only package that seems fair is golden states where both teams stay commpetivte with a strong core. Klay, green and Barnes for durant.

Okc lineup

Ibaka
Green
Barnes
Klay
Westbrook

Best defensive team in the NBA. Add Tom tibb and possibly best Deffensive team ever.

Golden state lineup

Bogut
Lee
Iggy
Durant
Curry

Championship or bust.

valade16
03-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Sidenote: With Durant in NY, Marc Gasol wouldn't seem like such a long shot anymore.

It would only be worth it if they could get some form of guarantee like that. Durant + Gasol > Melo + 1st Rd pick.

If there is no guarantee with KD that NY will be able to entice someone like Gasol or LMA then they should keep the pick. This draft is very top heavy with quality talent.

Giving up a #1 pick like Okafor that turns out to be the next superstar plus Melo for KD would be exactly something the Knicks would do unfortunately.

nycericanguy
03-18-2015, 10:53 AM
It would only be worth it if they could get some form of guarantee like that. Durant + Gasol > Melo + 1st Rd pick.

If there is no guarantee with KD that NY will be able to entice someone like Gasol or LMA then they should keep the pick. This draft is very top heavy with quality talent.

Giving up a #1 pick like Okafor that turns out to be the next superstar plus Melo for KD would be exactly something the Knicks would do unfortunately.

Agree, Knicks need to be patient. Melo has 4 years left on his deal at $96m and with the cap about to explode that's actually not a bad contract and Melo should age fairly well like Pierce.

Durant is great but he has a TON of miles on him. He'll be 27 to start next season which is young but it will be his 9th season of playing HUGE minutes and all those deep playoff runs, olympics...etc... he has a lot of miles on him and you already see all the nagging injuries starting to hit. He's only played 27 games this year.

Okafor,TOwns or Russell could be stars for the next 10-15 years, 5-6 of those years at cost controlled cheap contract.

D-Leethal
03-18-2015, 11:06 AM
Melo has a no trade clause, all of these trade ideas are stupid as hell.

Stinkyoutsider
03-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Only way I trade Durant is if we sit down and talk and he tells me flat out that he's not coming back to the club. If there's even a hint of him wanting to stay, I'm not trading him. I wouldn't play games with whether I think he's going to leave or not.