PDA

View Full Version : Durant comes back... OKC's chances in the West with new additions

HeatFan
03-07-2015, 02:21 PM
So the West is very competitive right now and OKC is just barely hanging on. Durant is expected back in a week or so and there are some new additions that I really like (Augustine, Kanter, Singler, Morrow), some additions by subtraction (Perkins), and Westbrook in INSANE mode. If Durant comes back 90% himself (potentially 100% at some point if they advance), any chances you see them coming out of the West?

I personally have GS coming out of the West, and they would be a very entertaining draw for the Finals. But it is really wide open and I think OKC will really be an unfortunate matchup for someone in the first round.

LakersIn5
03-07-2015, 11:40 PM
My prediction in the offseason still stands

Okc over clevaland in the finals

goingfor28
03-07-2015, 11:48 PM
They're 5 back of SA so I don't think they'll get any higher than the 8 seed. And GS is 5 up in Memphis. Seems to be the sure fire first rd match up unless KD or Russ goes down again and phoenix or NO gets in

JeffG20
03-07-2015, 11:50 PM
I'm curious to see what happens when KD returns. Westbrook has never played at a higher level. Can he go back to being somewhat in a backseat to KD?

Deadpool
03-08-2015, 12:10 AM
If Westbrook can continue to play like an absolute beast when KD comes back and if all of their new trade additions can play into their roles than they can definitley be that dark horse team in the west.

KingoftheFall
03-08-2015, 12:14 AM
My prediction in the offseason still stands

Okc over clevaland in the finals

I agree with this and it wouldn't shock me either. As strong as the west the only two title contenders I actually saw admist all these excellent teams were the Spurs and Thunder.

mightybosstone
03-08-2015, 12:47 AM
OKC needs to actually make the playoffs fist. Their mediocre play without Durant has kept New Orleans in this thing, and now the Pelicans are starting to play some pretty damn good basketball with Davis back on the floor. And as I said in the game thread earlier, it can't be overlooked that New Orleans won the season series 3-1. So if there does end up being a tie for the 8th seed, the Pelicans will get in and the Thunder will be left out.

Should OKC get in though (and it is likely), I like their chances to at least give Golden State a run for their money in the first round. I see it as a six or seven game series that the Warriors will ultimately win.

Munkeysuit
03-08-2015, 02:24 AM
I'd say their chances would be pretty high! they've made some great acquisitions and will only get better with the reigning MVP back in action.

jerellh528
03-08-2015, 04:25 AM
i like their chances if kd is 100%. Westbrook has been a beast lately but even he knows kd is still the best player in the world, and he will defer to him accordingly.

TrueFan420
03-08-2015, 06:06 PM
i like their chances if kd is 100%. Westbrook has been a beast lately but even he knows kd is still the best player in the world, and he will defer to him accordingly.

Um idk about that

Sanjay
03-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Um idk about that

About Durant being the best player AND Westbrook letting him be the number one guy!

kobe4thewinbang
03-08-2015, 07:24 PM
If they get in the playoffs...watch out world. I think they would knock out the Warriors, especially if Westbrook keeps having triple-doubles and that unselfish hustle, or leave them so weary the Blazers (#4) or Mavericks (#5) will put on the finishing touches.

tredigs
03-08-2015, 07:51 PM
I don't think they will beat the Warriors. We're better on offense, better on defense, have better coaching and will have HCA. It's an uphill battle for them. Even last season we were playing them equal when Bogut was around, and this team is massively improved as a whole.

TrueFan420
03-08-2015, 08:04 PM
About Durant being the best player AND Westbrook letting him be the number one guy!

Westbrook strikes me as a im the best type of guy and he's shown before that he will not defer I doubt that changes.

TrueFan420
03-08-2015, 08:06 PM
I don't think they will beat the Warriors. We're better on offense, better on defense, have better coaching and will have HCA. It's an uphill battle for them. Even last season we were playing them equal when Bogut was around, and this team is massively improved as a whole.

Key word when Bogut is around. He's the second most important player next to curry

tredigs
03-08-2015, 08:11 PM
Key word when Bogut is around. He's the second most important player next to curry

Yeah, but he's been coddled by Kerr to ensure he's 100% for the playoffs. His health seems great, we just need to avoid the random freak injury like last season. Easier said than done with him of course. And honestly, even without him we'd give any team hell with HCA. Our D is statistically at its best when we go small ball and Dray is playing center. That lineup has a D rating of 87. That... is almost impossibly good.

JEDean89
03-08-2015, 08:39 PM
I think it would be a miracle if they even make it to the finals given how intense the west is this year and how little chance this current roster has had to gel, for Brooks to even know the rotations perfect and which guys mesh well is a stretch. If they were healthy, they would be the best team in the league. I think they are going to be an absolutely unstoppable machine next year. Kanter, Ibaka, Adams, Collison and McGary gives them exactly what they need upfront.

raiderposting
03-08-2015, 09:32 PM
"If the thunder make the playoffs"

Theyre making the ****ing playoffs

tredigs
03-08-2015, 09:49 PM

They don't have an easy road. This team is struggling w/ out KD. Barely beating a reeling Toronto squad @home, needing OT to beat the Sixers... losing to Chi/Phx/Por in their last 6. The Pels have won 7 of 9 and now they have AD back. Their schedule to close is also easier than OKC's, and if the two teams were to tie the Pels would take it (won 3 of 4 h2h). If KD doesn't come back next week, they're no better than 50/50 to make it imo.

nastynice
03-08-2015, 10:42 PM

Pelicans are making them earn it...

nastynice
03-08-2015, 10:43 PM
I'm curious to see what happens when KD returns. Westbrook has never played at a higher level. Can he go back to being somewhat in a backseat to KD?

I wouldn't even want westbrook to take a backseat. The guys been playing like a absolute freak, he might as well keep doing that, and understand he has one of the best shooters/scorers in the league, he'll make the dish when he needs to.

nastynice
03-08-2015, 10:44 PM
They're 5 back of SA so I don't think they'll get any higher than the 8 seed. And GS is 5 up in Memphis. Seems to be the sure fire first rd match up unless KD or Russ goes down again and phoenix or NO gets in

probably gonna be the funnest series to watch the entire playoffs

JasonJohnHorn
03-10-2015, 09:45 PM
I think they made some great pick ups.

Perkins wasn't going to be doing anything special for them. He's a solid player, don't get me wrong.

With Singler and Novak (assuming he's back for playoffs) added onto the team, they got some great spot up shooters who can spread the floor, and Enes Kanter is a bit of a wild card; were his stats inflated because he was on a bad team? Or is he a legit C? Him and Ibaka could be a potentially great tandem on the front court.

I dunno... Adams, Collins, Kanter and Ibaka ssems like a good rebounding/defense combo. Singler and Novak are solid shooters, Lamb's hitting 3's at .370, which is solid, and KD and Westy are both franchise players who can create offense and move the ball.

Plus they got DJ Augustin, he's a strong back-up PG

I'm not sure keeping Andre Robertson in the rotation is a good idea. Is this guy good on defense of something? Because his stats don't look impressive at all.

On paper, they look like they got their best roster since 2012 easily, but that's on paper. Chemistry is going to be really important. It's too bad they didn't have Phil Jackson, Rick Adleman or George Karl helming this ship.

Ty Fast
03-10-2015, 11:26 PM
It depends on his heath. They are the 2nd best team with him but might be 9th without him.

HeatFan
03-11-2015, 09:50 PM
It depends on his heath. They are the 2nd best team with him but might be 9th without him.

Just read he will be back in less than two weeks. Hope so. Timing is important and that gives him almost two weeks to play and get his rhythm back.