PDA

View Full Version : Yu Darvish to have Tommy John surgery

#1 Romo fan
03-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Damn, this team is incredibly unlucky. They just can't stay healthy.

Young2Kinsler
03-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Excuse me while I search for a very tall bridge...

Un ****ING real how ****** a run of injuries this team has had

Burkey3472
03-07-2015, 01:44 PM
Such bad luck, I love watching him pitch too. Cant imagine Texas competing without him unless they make a deal for Hamels and even that is a reach.

JV35
03-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Everybody knew that was the sort of injury that was going to cause recurring problems and be an issue all year.

It isn't like he's ever been a real stud "workhorse". 2013 was the only year he even exceeded 200 innings.

I had to laugh when earlier this year they had a thread about the "best players in the game" and a lot of these people were arguing that Darvish was better than Verlander.

Darvish has always been a media creation (who had one solid year 2013 - 277K in 209.2 innings), outside of that he's been injury-prone and pedestrian.

(Waiting for advanced sabermetric rebuttal. *yawn*)

Now, they're talking about possible Tommy John surgery.

Yu Darvish is considering the possibility of undergoing Tommy John surgery after tests revealed that the Texas Rangers ace has a sprained ligament in his pitching elbow.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/12438332/yu-darvish-texas-rangers-sprained-elbow-ligament-mulling-tommy-john-surgery

Rush
03-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Everybody knew that was the sort of injury that was going to cause recurring problems and be an issue all year.

It isn't like he's ever been a real stud "workhorse". 2013 was the only year he even exceeded 200 innings.

I had to laugh when earlier this year they had a thread about the "best players in the game" and a lot of these people were arguing that Darvish was better than Verlander.

Darvish has always been a media creation (who had one solid year 2013 - 277K in 209.2 innings), outside of that he's been injury-prone and pedestrian.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/12438332/yu-darvish-texas-rangers-sprained-elbow-ligament-mulling-tommy-john-surgery

Pedestrian? One solid year? He's been a top of the rotation starter each of the three years he's been here.

jerryred
03-07-2015, 04:31 PM
now they got to get Hamels or Lee. could this trade work, hamels for C Jorge Alfaro, SP Jake Thompson, and SS/3B Travis Demeritte

Rynoplasty
03-07-2015, 05:57 PM
now they got to get Hamels or Lee. could this trade work, hamels for C Jorge Alfaro, SP Jake Thompson, and SS/3B Travis Demeritte

That wouldn't even get Amaro's attention. Have you seen the kind of packages he's been expecting?

Young2Kinsler
03-07-2015, 06:03 PM

LMAO at Texas giving up that much....not a chance in hell.

And there really is no point in making a trade right now. First, teams know you are desperate, and two, you aren't going to be able to replace Darvish with a trade.

Texas has to go into this season with what they have and see if they stay competitive, then make a deadline deal if they are.

jerryred
03-07-2015, 06:10 PM
really that is a lot for the rangers to give up, if he don't like that trade then just come out and say we are not going to trade him because teams are not going to give up more than that

Rynoplasty
03-07-2015, 08:12 PM
really that is a lot for the rangers to give up, if he don't like that trade then just come out and say we are not going to trade him because teams are not going to give up more than that

I'm not commenting on whether it's fair value or anything like that. Amaro has just been really unrealistic in what he's expecting, and that package isn't close to what he's holding out for. He was expecting ALL THREE of Pederson/Urias/Seager from the Dodgers and won't listen to the Cubs without Addison Russell being included. He's said that he won't consider trading Hamels unless he's "the clear winner" of the trade. He's openly not looking to get merely fair value.

GeronimoSon
03-07-2015, 08:42 PM
..Originally Posted by jerryred: ..really that is a lot for the rangers to give up, if he don't like that trade then just come out and say we are not going to trade him because teams are not going to give up more than that..

I'm not commenting on whether it's fair value or anything like that. Amaro has just been really unrealistic in what he's expecting, and that package isn't close to what he's holding out for. He was expecting ALL THREE of Pederson/Urias/Seager from the Dodgers and won't listen to the Cubs without Addison Russell being included. He's said that he won't consider trading Hamels unless he's "the clear winner" of the trade. He's openly not looking to get merely fair value.

As the GM, if the perception by the Phillies owner is that Reuben Amaro "caved" and gave away his best player, under team control for a reason length of time, then, without a doubt, Amaro would be pushed out the door. This is what is reflected in the comment about what Amaro has to do w/r to a Cole Hamels trade. That said, it's in the best interest of the Phillies to "win" a trade..whether that be Cole Hamels or anyone.. There is no doubt, the Phillies trading of Cole Hamels must bring back the kind of certainty that isn't necessarily found in most baseball trades..

Some team are of the opinion that their minor league players.. are NOT currency.. That is.. they're not going to trade a kid that they've drafted, developed and believe will be the kind of player they envisioned when they were drafted, traded for or signed. In addition to the performance.. there are emotional ties that bind..and remain bound..

In this case, the Dodgers, intellectually should give up at least two of those three to make a deal.. they won't. For the Cubs..same thing.. Both clubs have decided they would prefer to keep their kids.. There's a GOOD reason why a GM like Amaro wants those guys.. The same holds true for the Mets..they'd be dumb as fence posts to give up on any one of their core group of SP's.

At the end of the day..the Rangers have the prospects to get a TORP in trade..if they chose to trade. The Phillies, aren't the only game in town..coughwashingtonnationalscough...

slaker619
03-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Sad to hear

More-Than-Most
03-07-2015, 11:24 PM
LMAO at Texas giving up that much....not a chance in hell.

And there really is no point in making a trade right now. First, teams know you are desperate, and two, you aren't going to be able to replace Darvish with a trade.

Texas has to go into this season with what they have and see if they stay competitive, then make a deadline deal if they are.

Deadline deal would be even more costly and you can easily replace Darvish with a Healthy Lee or Hamels.

goingfor28
03-08-2015, 04:11 AM
Brett Gardner is sad to hear this

Pakman
03-08-2015, 04:14 AM
Poor rangers. They didn't have a chance this season before this injury now.....

Young2Kinsler
03-08-2015, 03:44 PM
They had plenty of a chance before this injury, only idiots didn't think so. And they still do. Their rotation, lineup, and bullpen are all still going to be better than last year.

JV35
03-08-2015, 03:59 PM
They had plenty of a chance before this injury, only idiots didn't think so. And they still do. Their rotation, lineup, and bullpen are all still going to be better than last year.

Everybody has got a chance at the beginning of the year. There are always the "surprise" teams (that are projected at 90 losses that make the playoffs). That's a given.

I just think that people looked at that division and saw LA/Oak/Sea and an up-and-coming Houston team and they didn't give Texas much of a chance coming off a 95-loss season.

Young2Kinsler
03-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Everybody has got a chance at the beginning of the year. There are always the "surprise" teams (that are projected at 90 losses that make the playoffs). That's a given.

I just think that people looked at that division and saw LA/Oak/Sea and an up-and-coming Houston team and they didn't give Texas much of a chance coming off a 95-loss season.

Texas will still finish ahead of Oakland and Houston, write it down. The other two are less likely without Darvish for sure, but we are still primed for 300-400 better SP innings than we got last year. That alone is a huge improvement, without even touching the lineup

Pakman
03-08-2015, 09:09 PM

More so this. I understand they were riddled with injuries last year but the west is no easy ride if a division. Angels and mariners are both very likely to win 85+ games this year imo. Barring a k.c. type year out of Texas I just don't see it.

1-800-STFU
03-10-2015, 09:06 PM

So yeah this is just wrong. His first year he walked to many guys but outside of that he was fantastic in 13 and 14 before he got hurt.

1-800-STFU
03-10-2015, 09:07 PM
More so this. I understand they were riddled with injuries last year but the west is no easy ride if a division. Angels and mariners are both very likely to win 85+ games this year imo. Barring a k.c. type year out of Texas I just don't see it.

Yeah, they are relying on a declining Fielder and Choo to carry the lineup outside of Beltre. Holland is fine but outside of that the staff is a bunch of average journeymen.

chi-townlove1
03-13-2015, 01:15 PM
Having TJ surgery. Season over

waveone
03-15-2015, 02:49 PM

This is probably one of the most na´ve pieces of homer tripe I have ever read- and I'm a Rangers fan since their beginning.

Just like the homer- clowns in the Ranger forum who think Daniels is the end all be all this is pure hopium.
It banks on Choo & Fielder performing as advertised , not prone to more injury and decline while being massively overpaid.

It further depends upon a devastated , now cobbled together BP except for Feliz and Sheppers, both of whom are questionable because of poor management decisions to force them into SP roles. Then we have the question of LF.

Sorry but your comments are long on hope and short on substantive, factual basis.