PDA

View Full Version : Which team will secure the 7th-8th spot in the WC/EC?

PurpleLynch
03-06-2015, 12:37 PM
EC:Miami(holds 7th spot right now),Charlotte(holds 8th spot right now),Indiana,Brooklyn.
[I didn't consider Detroit and Boston even if they are close to the 8th spot,Imo they won't make it.If you are in contrast with that,explain me why they could reach the PO].

WC:San Antonio(holds 7th spot right now),Okc(holds 8th spot right now),New Orleans,Phoenix.

These teams in the EC are not relevant for the Finals imo(I would be amazed if any of these team can get past the first round),but the battle for the last playoffs spot is always fun.

In the WC things are really different,both SA and OKC could have better records at the end of the season,the competition is really high and if they keep their positions,they surely won't be considered underdogs,despite their spot in the PO. [Maybe just NO and Phoenix could be considered underdogs,but they both are teams that can give a lot of problems].
So,which team do you got and why.
Thanks fellows posters.

Saddletramp
03-06-2015, 05:00 PM
I think Phoenix threw in the towel already and I doubt OKC and the Spur fall out unless they get and/or stay hurt. But does anyone think that Dallas could possibly fall out to the Pelicans or is there not enough time left? The Mavs are only about 6 games ahead of New Orleans and honestly, they could even bump up to third or fourth. Not sure who's playing who here on out, though, but with Rondo busting and Davis coming back, I wouldn't be surprised.

Hawkeye15
03-06-2015, 05:05 PM
I think Phoenix threw in the towel already and I doubt OKC and the Spur fall out unless they get and/or stay hurt. But does anyone think that Dallas could possibly fall out to the Pelicans or is there not enough time left? The Mavs are only about 6 games ahead of New Orleans and honestly, they could even bump up to third or fourth. Not sure who's playing who here on out, though, but with Rondo busting and Davis coming back, I wouldn't be surprised.

6 games is a TON with the remaining amount of games left.

dalton749
03-06-2015, 05:12 PM
east has gotten more competitive as the year has gone on
miami and indiana should fill out the last 2 spots
with a healthy bosh miami would have been a very tough out for anyone, though dragic, wade, deng, whiteside is still a solid lineup
and assuming george comes back and can get on track by playoffs indy is obviously no joke either
should be some good matchups

nastynice
03-06-2015, 05:17 PM
6 games is a TON with the remaining amount of games left.

yea, I was thinking same. It would take both a major slump on dallas part and major heat on pelicans part, in order to make up that kinda ground. The way those guys are scratching and clawing in the west, even if pelicans play very good, I just can't see dallas slipping that hard.

RaiderKid318
03-06-2015, 05:29 PM
Pels are playing great ball, if Jrue and Anderson come back I think we will make a playoff push

JasonJohnHorn
03-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Well... it was looking like the Trailblazers were on a bit of a skid a month back, but they have righted the ship. If they had kept losing, then I would have picked New Orleans to get that eight spot.

Now it looks like Portland will be staying where they are in the standings or dropping a little due to the matthews injury, but I don't think there is enough time to drop to either or ninth. I wouldn't expect to much from them in the post-season without Matthews, not that he's that great, but because you need a lot of depth, and without him, I'm not sure they have it.

So... OKC should remain steady, widen the gap between them and NO, and close the gap with SAS, but with SAS looking to secure that 50-win season, I wouldn't count on them dropping to 8th.

In the east... who care... who ever makes it is getting demolished in the first round. At least the Thunder have a legit shot at winning it all from the 8th seed. Charlotte, Miami, Indy, Brooklyn, Boston and Detroit would all lose in the first round against ATL.

I'm pullin' for NO... I want to see every team in the SouthWest in the playoffs for some reason.

SPURSFAN1
03-06-2015, 06:09 PM
SA is getting that 4th spot. For reals.

Chronz
03-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Now it looks like Portland will be staying where they are in the standings or dropping a little due to the matthews injury, but I don't think there is enough time to drop to either or ninth. I wouldn't expect to much from them in the post-season without Matthews, not that he's that great, but because you need a lot of depth, and without him, I'm not sure they have it.
Care to elaborate because that goes against traditional thinking. Its usually the teams that rely on depth to win that struggle the most in the post season(as opposed to winning with a top heavy squad), the reason for this is because teams shorten up their rotations in the playoffs anyways. Having great depth isn't as important come playoffs because you're not going to play that deep into your rotation the way you would in the RS.

And Mathews is a loss because he was EXTREMELY efficient, coming from a wing who could both space the floor and do damage from the blocks is very rare. He really is that great.

PurpleLynch
03-07-2015, 06:58 AM

It would be really fun. Looking at SA schedule,it could be possible,all big games are at the AT&T center.

kdspurman
03-07-2015, 11:39 AM
It would be really fun. Looking at SA schedule,it could be possible,all big games are at the AT&T center.

ive been saying, they have a home heavy schedule to close the season and they're healthy finally. it would not surprise me.

i think dallas has a chance of dropping to 7 or 8.

Thumper 88
03-07-2015, 11:44 AM
ive been saying, they have a home heavy schedule to close the season and they're healthy finally. it would not surprise me.

i think dallas has a chance of dropping to 7 or 8.
I agree with this.

People gave the spurs a lot of crap but they had a tough early schedule and injury's.

Dallas has fallen out of rhythm of sorts and they have only 18 games left to figure it out.
Luckily they started out really good so they must likely won't drop out of the playoff picture

kdspurman
03-07-2015, 11:51 AM
I agree with this.

People gave the spurs a lot of crap but they had a tough early schedule and injury's.

Dallas has fallen out of rhythm of sorts and they have only 18 games left to figure it out.
Luckily they started out really good so they must likely won't drop out of the playoff picture

is it really all rondo adjusting? and yea, i dont see them dropping out, and possibly not to 8 even just looking at the standings.

tredigs
03-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Well... it was looking like the Trailblazers were on a bit of a skid a month back, but they have righted the ship. If they had kept losing, then I would have picked New Orleans to get that eight spot.

So... OKC should remain steady, widen the gap between them and NO, and close the gap with SAS, but with SAS looking to secure that 50-win season, I wouldn't count on them dropping to 8th.

In the east... who care... who ever makes it is getting demolished in the first round. At least the Thunder have a legit shot at winning it all from the 8th seed. Charlotte, Miami, Indy, Brooklyn, Boston and Detroit would all lose in the first round against ATL.

I'm pullin' for NO... I want to see every team in the SouthWest in the playoffs for some reason.
You don't think the Blazers will fall 8 games in the next 20 that are left in the season. QUE HOT TAKE! ; )

And the 7/8 seed does matter in the East with the way the Pacers have been playing. Against Washington or Toronto they'd actually probably be favored even without HCA right now (both of those teams look terrible the past month), and if they can get PG back to 90% by that time, they are a dark-horse to knock out the Cavs.

mightybosstone
03-07-2015, 12:03 PM

That's extremely unlikely. They're 3 1/2 games, and they have three teams in front of them with only 20-21 games remaining in the season. I could buy them finishing sixth ahead of Dallas or maybe even fifth if one of those other squads slips, but all three?

mightybosstone
03-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Based on where things seem to be going in the West, I think this is the likely seedings by the end of the season:
1. Golden State
2. Memphis
3-5. Portland, Houston, LAC (in some order)
6. San Antonio
7. Dallas
8. OKC

I'd give New Orleans an outside shot if Davis continues to beast, but I still think it's unlikely they surpass OKC as long as Durant comes back soon.

In the East, it's probably going to be something like:
1. Atlanta
2. Cleveland
3. Chicago
4. Toronto
5. Washington
6. Milwaukee
7. Indiana
8. Charlotte/Miami/Boston/Brooklyn/who cares?

Indiana is the team to watch in the East. They're on a tear lately, and if George were to come back this season, they have a real shot to upset someone in the first round and make a run.

kdspurman
03-07-2015, 12:23 PM
That's extremely unlikely. They're 3 1/2 games, and they have three teams in front of them with only 20-21 games remaining in the season. I could buy them finishing sixth ahead of Dallas or maybe even fifth if one of those other squads slips, but all three?

Not impossible though.

kdspurman
03-07-2015, 12:29 PM
SA is 1 game back in the loss column behind 5th seed LAC, and they are in GS tomorrow and we're at home against Chicago. 3 games back in the loss column of 4th seed Houston. I don't think it's that unlikely actually looking at it. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's a realistic possibility. This is usually the time they peak, so we shall see.

SPURSFAN1
03-07-2015, 03:54 PM

I'm usually spot on with my assessments. The team is gelling for their typical long win streak right before the playoffs. I can easily see houston slowing down due to mileage on harden. Blazers losing a couple. Clippers and dallas only up by 1 game. *** the spurs can be 3rd place by the end of the season.

SPURSFAN1
03-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Wow if the pelicans can make the playoffs, all the southwest teams would be in the playoffs. toughest division by far.

mightybosstone
03-07-2015, 04:35 PM
I'm usually spot on with my assessments. The team is gelling for their typical long win streak right before the playoffs. I can easily see houston slowing down due to mileage on harden. Blazers losing a couple. Clippers and dallas only up by 1 game. *** the spurs can be 3rd place by the end of the season.

Yeah, they're beating up on some mediocre teams right now, but let's not crown them and assume they're all of a sudden going to skyrocket past three of the 6-7 best teams in the NBA just because they win a few easily winnable games. If the Spurs want to really impress, they'll start beating good teams. They get three of the East's four best teams in a row starting tonight. Let's see how they handle this before giving them too much praise.

Thumper 88
03-07-2015, 04:43 PM
is it really all rondo adjusting? and yea, i dont see them dropping out, and possibly not to 8 even just looking at the standings.
Since the all star break monta and dirk are not playing well at along with parsons being injured.

It's a combination of things with Rondo being one of them.

Tyson has been so great though

kdspurman
03-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Yeah, they're beating up on some mediocre teams right now, but let's not crown them and assume they're all of a sudden going to skyrocket past three of the 6-7 best teams in the NBA just because they win a few easily winnable games. If the Spurs want to really impress, they'll start beating good teams. They get three of the East's four best teams in a row starting tonight. Let's see how they handle this before giving them too much praise.

last year, people said spurs couldnt beat elite teams. you remember the overreaction right? so in reality, they dont need to do that to impress. they impressed more than enough on the biggest stage last year, despite them not beating elites early on. (btw theyve beaten their fair share of elites this year) as long as they are healthy, and clicking going into the playoffs, thats all that matters. and right now, theyre starting to show glimpses, regardless of who theyre playing against. theyre just getting everyone back and in rotation.

theyre getting respect/praise cause theyre the defending champs. same thing happened with miami the last few years. no one thinks theyre going to sky rocket. but the 3-4 seed are within reasonable reach. sky rocketing would be like saying theyll get the 1 or 2 seed

mightybosstone
03-07-2015, 09:04 PM
last year, people said spurs couldnt beat elite teams. you remember the overreaction right? so in reality, they dont need to do that to impress. they impressed more than enough on the biggest stage last year, despite them not beating elites early on. (btw theyve beaten their fair share of elites this year) as long as they are healthy, and clicking going into the playoffs, thats all that matters. and right now, theyre starting to show glimpses, regardless of who theyre playing against. theyre just getting everyone back and in rotation.

theyre getting respect/praise cause theyre the defending champs. same thing happened with miami the last few years. no one thinks theyre going to sky rocket. but the 3-4 seed are within reasonable reach. sky rocketing would be like saying theyll get the 1 or 2 seed
Even if a roster stays 100 percent the same, one year can make a ton of difference. Parker and Ginobili have not been the same guys this season. And even with Duncan playing essentially the same level of basketball and Leonard playing a greater role in the offense, unless those two guys pick it up, this is not the same Spurs team from last season.

Also, there's a huge difference between giving a team praise and suggesting that they're going to leapfrog three or four of the league's best teams that are as much as 3 1/2 games ahead of them with only 20 games left in the season. I'm fine giving them praise. I'm not fine suggesting that they're going to crack the top four seeds at the end of the season.

kdspurman
03-07-2015, 09:21 PM
Since the all star break monta and dirk are not playing well at along with parsons being injured.

It's a combination of things with Rondo being one of them.

Tyson has been so great though

Ah ok. There's not a lot of time left, but there is still some time left to get into a rhythm. And who knows what matchup you guys draw. Could be a favorable one, if there is such a thing.

kdspurman
03-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Even if a roster stays 100 percent the same, one year can make a ton of difference. Parker and Ginobili have not been the same guys this season. And even with Duncan playing essentially the same level of basketball and Leonard playing a greater role in the offense, unless those two guys pick it up, this is not the same Spurs team from last season.

Also, there's a huge difference between giving a team praise and suggesting that they're going to leapfrog three or four of the league's best teams that are as much as 3 1/2 games ahead of them with only 20 games left in the season. I'm fine giving them praise. I'm not fine suggesting that they're going to crack the top four seeds at the end of the season.

They haven't been the same, (Parker has been better lately) and they've relied less and less on Manu the past few years. That's why Belinelli's play off the bench, his offensive punch has been key. Regular season at least... That's why their depth does matter more than it might for other teams.

Praise was perhaps the wrong word, I think it's more of the benefit of the doubt that they will pick it up. They did go undefeated last March, and while that's not likely, it's not out of the question to see them go on a big run. It's OK that you're not fine suggesting they'll crack a top 4 seed, but it's a very real possibility.

And they too are one of the leagues best teams btw.

nastynice
03-07-2015, 10:45 PM
They get three of the East's four best teams in a row starting tonight. Let's see how they handle this before giving them too much praise.

Yea, spurs are always tough to judge. They're geriatric as ****, but theyre also very fundamental and come up big in big moments. Always so hard to tell when they're going into geezer mode, or just hiding in the bushes waiting to pounce, lol. These three games will tell us something, also end of march they got atl, dal, okc, dal. That'll probably be a good indicator of which spur team to expect in the playoffs.