PDA

View Full Version : How good would a Gasol brother tandem be?

FlashBolt
03-06-2015, 02:32 AM
I'm a huge fan of both players and want to know what you guys think.

goingfor28
03-06-2015, 02:35 AM
Very

dhopisthename
03-06-2015, 02:37 AM
not sure because both are really centers

FlashBolt
03-06-2015, 02:39 AM
not sure because both are really centers

Not really. Pau Gasol is VERY diverse. He's played behind Bynum/Noah and has done very well.

DamnGoat
03-06-2015, 02:57 AM
Not really. Pau Gasol is VERY diverse. He's played behind Bynum/Noah and has done very well.
Pau at this point in his career is definitely a Center. He's been playing there all season (Noah's been playing PF) and just doesn't have the quickness to guard most PF's in the league these days.

Wade n Fade
03-06-2015, 06:31 AM
It would work very well, but I like Randolph and Gasol better. Big Zeebo is tougher inside. Pau is a bit more softer.

JasonJohnHorn
03-06-2015, 08:55 AM
I think they would be very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very good. Likely even great.

KnicksorBust
03-06-2015, 08:55 AM
In their prime amazing (see: Olympics). Now pretty good.

Oefarmy2005
03-06-2015, 04:44 PM
It would be even better if they have Rubio running the point.

MrfadeawayJB
03-07-2015, 12:49 AM
Both have the ability to face up so offensively great. However defensively they are both best guarding C's

eibbor
03-07-2015, 01:13 AM
Really guys? Good, great? lol

With stretch 4's and any teams that have a fast offensive tempo they would get killed by any playoff team in either conference.

They would be very dominant inside, sure. That's about it.

Lakers + Giants
03-07-2015, 01:15 AM
In their prime, best front court in the league. Right now? Probably still that, but it wouldn't be with as big a margin between the next front court.

I do agree that Pau is better suited as a center now, but I think he'd still be a great PF if he played alongside his brother, especially since he can rely on Marc defensively and both are amazing passers.

There's a reason the redeem team struggled to beat that spanish team.

PowerHouse
03-07-2015, 01:44 AM
Better than the Lopez bros.

benny01
03-07-2015, 02:02 AM
Playing together they would be a liability defensively and unstoppable offensively. I'd start Marc and play Pau behind him and always have the best center on the floor in any situation.

jerellh528
03-07-2015, 02:30 AM
Well pau and sporadic, inconsistent, head case, Bynum were awesome when bynum actually was healthy. With Marc who is 10x the player Bynum was, they would be off the charts. They each are extreamly versatile and Marc and paus game play to each other's strengths. but I might be a bit biased because they are two of my favorite players in the league

benny01
03-07-2015, 02:37 AM
Well pau and sporadic, inconsistent, head case, Bynum were awesome when bynum actually was healthy. With Marc who is 10x the player Bynum was, they would be off the charts. They each are extreamly versatile and Marc and paus game play to each other's strengths. but I might be a bit biased because they are two of my favorite players in the league
5 years ago I'd totally agree, today Pau looks like he's wearing concrete shoes. Don't get me wrong I love him, but his feet move so ****ing slow.

TrueFan420
03-07-2015, 02:56 AM

With stretch 4's and any teams that have a fast offensive tempo they would get killed by any playoff team in either conference.

Dude you have no clue what you're talking about. Who knows what their other pieces are. They could still have great spacing with a PG, SG and SF that can all hit a three. And any playoff team? Really... I bet the grizz with Pau instead of ZBO would still be a force to be reconded with and would easily be capable of beating a team in a series in the west or east.

HoopsDrive
03-07-2015, 05:10 AM
Now or in their primes? Gasol bros in their prime would be a scary proposition, Pau was already a dominant force with Bynum by his side but with Marc I'd imagine the chemistry would skyrocket.

Right now, it's still a very impressive big combo even if Pau has lost a step and can't hang with a lot of the athletic PFs anymore.

ewing
03-07-2015, 09:04 AM

Yeah you need a fast athletic PF like zbo with pair with Marc. These guys would be ****ing great

Shammyguy3
03-07-2015, 11:24 AM
a little better than Pau/Noah have been

Goose17
03-07-2015, 12:56 PM
In their primes you could totally play Pau at the 4. His midrange game does make him a "stretch 4" of sorts. I'm not saying he would be stepping beyond mid range, just that he could hit those mid range shots which would help with spacing and we know he can play the pinch.

Would you be willing to build around that though? Or would you want to bring in an elite offensive wing or guard?

TheNumber37
03-07-2015, 02:29 PM
Have you seen Olympic play. It's scary

Chronz
03-07-2015, 05:16 PM
Bynum was better than marc

mightybosstone
03-07-2015, 05:22 PM
It was sort of common knowledge that Morey was trying like hell to make this happen a few years ago in Houston. When the Chris Paul/Pau Gasol trade ended up getting vetoed, a lot of people seemed to think Morey was going after Pau to attract Marc in free agency.

Of course I'm still happy with how things played out, and I still think getting Marc would have been an uphill battle, but those two would have been a lot of fun to watch play together on the NBA level.

lakerboy
03-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Lakers could have had both. People forgot we drafted Marc Gasol.

We shouldn't have included the draft rights of Marc to Memphis in the Kwame trade. This was "probably" a throw in / filler in the trade. Instead we should have given them 6'9 Chinese PG Sun Yue in 2008. Every time I see Marc I can't stop thinking about that trade.

Sandman
03-07-2015, 06:50 PM
I'm a huge fan of both players and want to know what you guys think.

does not compute

2 Gasols on 1 team is like klitschko vs klitschko

they got traded for each other

its like dividing by zero

Sandman
03-07-2015, 06:51 PM
5 years ago I'd totally agree, today Pau looks like he's wearing concrete shoes. Don't get me wrong I love him, but his feet move so ****ing slow.

I see it but at 34 he is aging better than a lot of guys

jerellh528
03-07-2015, 06:52 PM

We shouldn't have traded the draft rights of Marc to Memphis during the Kwame trade. This was "probably" a throw in / filler in the trade. Instead we should have given them 6'9 Chinese PG Sun Yue in 2008. Every time I see Marc I can't stop thinking about that trade.

I'm not upset about it, that type of thing is bound to happen in pro sports, especially the NBA, it's the nature of the beast. That trade also helped net us 2 ships.

Sandman
03-07-2015, 07:06 PM

We shouldn't have included the draft rights of Marc to Memphis in the Kwame trade. This was "probably" a throw in / filler in the trade. Instead we should have given them 6'9 Chinese PG Sun Yue in 2008. Every time I see Marc I can't stop thinking about that trade.

What planet are you on? Nobody forgot where Marc came from, despite being IN THE PAU TRADE people still call that Jerry West's gift to the Lakers -- they coulda/shoulda/woulda given up LESS?

Who in the blue hell is Chinese PG Sun Yue?

KingstonHawke
03-07-2015, 07:06 PM
I've always wanted to see this and HATED from day 1 that they included Marc in the deal.

lakers4sh0
03-08-2015, 12:58 AM
Bynum/gasol was an absolute failure. IDK what some of you are talking about.

KingstonHawke
03-08-2015, 02:32 AM

Not like they won twice together, or almost combined for 40 pts and 20 boards per game one year.

At their peak Bynum, Gasol, Odom was a hell of a 3some in the post.

Goose17
03-08-2015, 04:00 AM
Bynum was better than marc

In which alternate universe do you speak of?

Chronz
03-08-2015, 04:31 AM
In which alternate universe do you speak of?

The one where Marc has nothing in his favor.

Goose17
03-08-2015, 06:49 AM

That sounds like an awful place. I wouldn't want to live in that world. A world where Gasols excellent post game is non existent. A world where his defensive prowess is non existent. Horrible. Just horrible.

PurpleLynch
03-08-2015, 08:38 AM

I wouldn't call "an absolute failure" 2 championships out of three Finals runs. Lakers had one of the best bigmen rotation in the league with Odom,Bynum and Gasol. Actually,I don't know what are you talking about.

mightybosstone
03-08-2015, 11:50 AM

At his absolute peak, Bynum might have been better. But that peak lasted all of one single season. And Bynum was not remotely as consistent as Marc Gasol. We're talking about a guy who played more than 65 games in a season one time in his entire career, topped 55 games only three times in eight seasons and averaged 30+ minutes per game only twice in his career.

Despite the time he missed last season due to injury, Gasol was a model of consistency the last three years. And this season, he made a substantial leap forward that would rival any of Bynum's best (including 11-12). I'd take Marc over Bynum easily based on consistency and Bynum's crazy off-court behavior.

Chronz
03-08-2015, 12:48 PM
At his absolute peak, Bynum might have been better. But that peak lasted all of one single season. And Bynum was not remotely as consistent as Marc Gasol. We're talking about a guy who played more than 65 games in a season one time in his entire career, topped 55 games only three times in eight seasons and averaged 30+ minutes per game only twice in his career.

Despite the time he missed last season due to injury, Gasol was a model of consistency the last three years. And this season, he made a substantial leap forward that would rival any of Bynum's best (including 11-12). I'd take Marc over Bynum easily based on consistency and Bynum's crazy off-court behavior.
I never said he was healthier, I know he didn't put up the better career stretch, Im talking strictly about their talent when they were on the court. Marc has gotten better but hes definitely regressed defensively and I dont agree that it rivals Bynum.

Bynum was at his best when he kept his mouth shut and didn't steal touches away from his teammates. Statistically, his best season may have been his All-Star campaign but in reality, his most productive from an efficiency standpoint were the years when he feasted off of offensive rebounding and deferred to Pau/Kobe. Dude was a beast pre injury and adjusted nicely after that.

jerellh528
03-08-2015, 01:20 PM
Bynum was better than marc at using his size in a more agressive manner, Bynum was ahead of his years in post positioning and using his body effectively. That's about all I can for sure say Bynum was BETTER at than Marc, and probably rebounding.

lakers4sh0
03-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Not like they won twice together, or almost combined for 40 pts and 20 boards per game one year.

At their peak Bynum, Gasol, Odom was a hell of a 3some in the post.

I wouldn't call "an absolute failure" 2 championships out of three Finals runs. Lakers had one of the best bigmen rotation in the league with Odom,Bynum and Gasol. Actually,I don't know what are you talking about.

revisionist historians at work

during the 2 peat, bynum was mostly riding the pine during the crucial moments as it was gasol and odom combo which proved to be the most effective

year 3 jimmy buss insisted that bynum be given more touches and playing time. phil was forced to play bynum and gasol together and it exploded right in their faces (vs mavericks), downhill after that.

Chronz
03-08-2015, 02:33 PM
Bynum was better than marc at using his size in a more agressive manner, Bynum was ahead of his years in post positioning and using his body effectively. That's about all I can for sure say Bynum was BETTER at than Marc, and probably rebounding.
Why just probably? Makes me question your analysis if it's not an open and shut case on something so obvious

jerellh528
03-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Why just probably? Makes me question your analysis if it's not an open and shut case on something so obvious

Okay rebounding too