AllDay28
03-06-2015, 02:14 AM
Wow ... Such bad news for the blazers

lakerfan85
03-06-2015, 02:15 AM
Damn.. That sucks..

goingfor28
03-06-2015, 02:15 AM
That came out of nowhere. I'm assuming he got hurt tonight?

BKdoubleStacker
03-06-2015, 02:20 AM
Yikes at the very least they got afflalo I'm sure he's going to start now

Laker Legend42
03-06-2015, 02:30 AM
You could tell as soon as it happened. He jumped to catch the ball and was coming down and tring to take off all in the same motion and went.

dhopisthename
03-06-2015, 02:31 AM
wow and he is a free agent after this year as well. I wonder if he will be back in time for the start of the season.

sciferguy
03-06-2015, 02:35 AM
He is such a huge part of our success. He picks up the slack of anyone who is having a down game. I tore my calf doing the exact same thing, inbounding and turning up the court. He's got to be pissed.

Wondering if management brings someone in, if they are seeking finals this year they almost have to find someone to fill his shoes.

Chronz
03-06-2015, 02:37 AM
The AA trade now looks like a life saver. They will miss him tho, wonder how much their offense drops off.

Laker Legend42
03-06-2015, 02:38 AM
He is such a huge part of our success. He picks up the slack of anyone who is having a down game. I tore my calf doing the exact same thing, inbounding and turning up the court. He's got to be pissed.

Wondering if management brings someone in, if they are seeking finals this year they almost have to find someone to fill his shoes.maybe Aaron afflalo can become a bigger part of the team.

Sadds The Gr8
03-06-2015, 02:43 AM
Sucks. One of my fave players. Good thing AA is pretty similar

FlashBolt
03-06-2015, 02:44 AM
Sucks for Matthews. Contract year and he's injured. Potentially millions less now.

Goose17
03-06-2015, 02:50 AM
Damn. Awful news.

IKnowHoops
03-06-2015, 04:25 AM
Torn calf or torn achilles?

meloman1592
03-06-2015, 05:30 AM
Afflalo will replicate if not out do him. But this sucks for him personally because he's a FA

Wade n Fade
03-06-2015, 06:29 AM
I wish nothing but a full and speedy recovery for Wes Matthews. He's a fun player to watch and the Blazers are such an exciting team with him on the floor. Hope AA can keep them in it though.

QueensG_718
03-06-2015, 06:33 AM
Damn right before free agency...

kdspurman
03-06-2015, 07:50 AM
Torn calf or torn achilles?

ruptured achillies i believe

KnicksorBust
03-06-2015, 08:09 AM
Sucks for Matthews. Contract year and he's injured. Potentially millions less now.

This was my first thought as well. The Blazers were dangerous this year too. Last year they got their feet wet, this year could have been the break through season.

Goose17
03-06-2015, 08:25 AM
Afflalo will replicate if not out do him. But this sucks for him personally because he's a FA

LOL what? Afflalo has been slipping this season. On top of that he's not close to the defender Wes is. How will he possibly out do him?

I swear to god Wes is so underrated.

KnicksorBust
03-06-2015, 08:51 AM

LOL what? Afflalo has been slipping this season. On top of that he's not close to the defender Wes is. How will he possibly out do him?

I swear to god Wes is so underrated.

x100

valade16
03-06-2015, 10:04 AM
This ****ing sucks.

Slug3
03-06-2015, 10:30 AM
That came out of nowhere. I'm assuming he got hurt tonight?

Ya it was one of those non contact fouls where he planted and got hurt.

goingfor28
03-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Ya it was one of those non contact fouls where he planted and got hurt.
Ya I ended up seeing it last night after I posted. Tough blow to Por, and Wes who seems like a good dude

xxplayerxx23
03-06-2015, 11:45 AM

No way , Wes spreads the floor a good amount better

valade16
03-06-2015, 11:58 AM
No way , Wes spreads the floor a good amount better

Wes is better than Afflalo but I think he could do an adequate job replacing him in the starting lineup since he is a very similar player. That isn't the problem as our starting lineup could drop a bit and still be among the leagues best, it's that good.

The problem is this puts us right back where we started with our bench. Heck, it might be a little worse since we now don't have Barton or Thomas Robinson. Big blow.

xxplayerxx23
03-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Wes is better than Afflalo but I think he could do an adequate job replacing him in the starting lineup since he is a very similar player. That isn't the problem as our starting lineup could drop a bit and still be among the leagues best, it's that good.

The problem is this puts us right back where we started with our bench. Heck, it might be a little worse since we now don't have Barton or Thomas Robinson. Big blow.

I think wes is a lot better just my opinion. Yeah bench play is ganna suck now

valade16
03-06-2015, 01:04 PM
I think wes is a lot better just my opinion. Yeah bench play is ganna suck now

Oh Wes is definitely better but Afflalo is a similar player. But yeah Wes is definitely better.

TrueFan420
03-06-2015, 01:53 PM
The AA trade is looking like a massive life savor. It will be interesting to see who the Blazers can try and pick up to fill the newly created hole on the bench.

valade16
03-06-2015, 05:08 PM
The AA trade is looking like a massive life savor. It will be interesting to see who the Blazers can try and pick up to fill the newly created hole on the bench.

We reached out to Ray Allen but he said he is content to not play this season.

ewing
03-06-2015, 05:31 PM
I was a big AA fan in Denver and was not surprised at all when he put up big #s for a terrible Orlando team. I haven't seen much of him recently but do think it will be interesting to see what he does with this opportunity.

Chronz
03-06-2015, 05:33 PM

Define league best....

Goose17
03-06-2015, 05:35 PM
Define league best....

One of the best in the league?

And now it's your turn, define Floccinaucinihilipilifcation.

valade16
03-06-2015, 05:53 PM
Define league best....

I'd say the healthy Blazers starting 5 is one of the Top 5 best starting lineups in the league. Last season they were considered possibly the best and their scoring and efficiency numbers backed that up.

HeatFan
03-06-2015, 05:53 PM
Another one bites the dust.

Blazers have such bad luck. Probably second only to the Bulls. As if the Western Conference playoffs weren't going to be bad enough already, now this.

Chronz
03-06-2015, 06:00 PM
One of the best in the league?

And now it's your turn, define Floccinaucinihilipilifcation.

LOL. Just as vague. Does the 12th best starting unit have one of the best in the league? 14th? 8th?

I'd say the healthy Blazers starting 5 is one of the Top 5 best starting lineups in the league. Last season they were considered possibly the best and their scoring and efficiency numbers backed that up.

Really? I guess I can look it up but got any links handy?

Thanks for the actual answer tho. Unlike this Floccinaucinihilipilino above me.

Chronz
03-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Blazers have such bad luck. Probably second only to the Bulls. As if the Western Conference playoffs weren't going to be bad enough already, now this.

Bad enough? LMFAO wat?

HeatFan
03-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Bad enough? LMFAO wat?

Let me re-phrase, when I mean bad enough, I mean difficult enough. Bad by no means. Without Matthews even more difficult. I can see how that can get misunderstood.

valade16
03-06-2015, 06:18 PM

Although this link ranks them as the 8th best it shows the numbers they used:

http://hoopshabit.com/2014/08/26/nba-power-rankings-30-starting-lineups/#24/?&_suid=1425679893493015808709536088633

Last season they scored 82.9 PPG (1st in NBA) and outscored opponents by 7.9 points per 100 possessions. The reason the article had them 8th was because they weren't very good at defense (22nd), but this season they have played way better defense.

Then this link shows the Top 5 best Net Ratings for the beginning of this season:

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/12/02/golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-steve-kerr-lineup

Portland is 5th behind GS, Sacramento (who we can assume tailed off after their hot start), Dallas (who knows if they are still that good after the Rondo trade), and Memphis. They are just ahead of Atlanta, who we can assume is now somewhere near the top, but that still leaves Portland hanging around that Top 5 area.

I'd say GS and Atlanta are for sure better then them. Then you could make arguments for Cleveland, Memphis, LAC and Thunder.

Also, in Hollinger's ESPN Power Rankings they are 4th and that's with their notoriously bad bench. So I think it's safe to assume most of that heavy lifting was by our starting lineup.

KnicksorBust
03-06-2015, 06:24 PM

Although this link ranks them as the 8th best it shows the numbers they used:

http://hoopshabit.com/2014/08/26/nba-power-rankings-30-starting-lineups/#24/?&_suid=1425679893493015808709536088633

Last season they scored 82.9 PPG (1st in NBA) and outscored opponents by 7.9 points per 100 possessions. The reason the article had them 8th was because they weren't very good at defense (22nd), but this season they have played way better defense.

Then this link shows the Top 5 best Net Ratings for the beginning of this season:

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/12/02/golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-steve-kerr-lineup

Portland is 5th behind GS, Sacramento (who we can assume tailed off after their hot start), Dallas (who knows if they are still that good after the Rondo trade), and Memphis. They are just ahead of Atlanta, who we can assume is now somewhere near the top, but that still leaves Portland hanging around that Top 5 area.

I'd say GS and Atlanta are for sure better then them. Then you could make arguments for Cleveland, Memphis, LAC and Thunder.

Also, in Hollinger's ESPN Power Rankings they are 4th and that's with their notoriously bad bench. So I think it's safe to assume most of that heavy lifting was by our starting lineup.

Blazers (correctly) rode their starters hard. I made a thread about this theory last season...might have to dig it up...where teams that are properly built still need time to gel but its important that you keep your rotations consistent. Teams like Portland and Memphis have seen great record improvements with minimal roster turnover.

valade16
03-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Blazers (correctly) rode their starters hard. I made a thread about this theory last season...might have to dig it up...where teams that are properly built still need time to gel but its important that you keep your rotations consistent. Teams like Portland and Memphis have seen great record improvements with minimal roster turnover.

Yeah LMA, Batum and Wes talk about how much chemistry they all have on the court, and that comes from playing together the last 5 years straight with pretty much the same set substitutions and situations. You really start to know your role inside and out.

Chronz
03-06-2015, 07:48 PM
No team rides its starters more than the Clips, theres got to be a healthier balance.

Tony_Starks
03-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Afflalo will be fine but the real damage is they had to weaken the bench to get him. Still think they are better than anyone they will see in the first round but this sucks big picture. I had them as a dark horse to come out the West with their depth.....

Chronz
03-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Afflalo will be fine but the real damage is they had to weaken the bench to get him. Still think they are better than anyone they will see in the first round but this sucks big picture. I had them as a dark horse to come out the West with their depth.....

True. Depth isn't as important but Im not gonna pretend this wasn't a huge blow. Still, better to have AA than a bench. Its not like when Chauncey Billups ruptured his achilles and the Clips had to turn to the likes of Mo and Foye at the 2.