PDA

View Full Version : Where does Gobert rank out of the entire NBA?

Spanklin
03-05-2015, 08:32 PM
From a Jazz forum:

Gobert is quickly rising in value in the NBA. Where do rank him? Combine future and right now rankings

My rankings......

1. Lebron James
2. Kevin Durant
3. Anthony Davis
4. Steph Curry
5. Rudy Gobert
6. Russell Westbrook
7. James Harden
8. Everyone else

I know Westbrook and Harden are a lot more talented, and so are a lot of other players, but I think Rudy has a bigger impact. I'd honestly rather build my team around him if given the choice. Westbrook has the talent to be the best player in the NBA, but I'm not sure he'll ever get out of his own way. Harden doesn't bring enough defense.

I mean, I think that's kind of bat **** crazy but wanted to get non-Jazz opinions.

http://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?38129-Where-does-Gobert-rank-out-of-the-entire-NBA

KnicksorBust
03-05-2015, 08:37 PM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/rudy-gobert-utah-jazz-fiba-potential-7-footer-tyson-chandler/

Great article about him. Bill Simmons ranks him #37.

GROUP K: “No Thanks — We Don’t Want Him to Come Back and Haunt Us”1

37. Rudy Gobert
Earned a top-40 spot after unleashing these promising January splits: 27.6 mpg, 9.4 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 3.1 bpg and 4.8 super-fun screen-and-rolls per game (unofficial). Sorti de nulle part!2 In six whirlwind months, Gobert went from “Tall French Dude On Utah’s Bench” to “Guy Making a Legit FIBA World Cup Splash,” “Guy Who Got His Own Movie Clip That Confused Jalen In Our Bill & Jalen NBA Preview,” “Mega-Fantasy Sleeper,” “Stealth Daily Fantasy Asset On FanDuel And DraftKings,” “SportVU Rim Protection God,” “Legitimate NBA Starter,” “Future Block Leader,” “Top-40 Trade Value Guy” and finally, “Winner Of The Best NBA Nickname Of The Decade.” Ladies and gentlemen, please, give a round of applause to the Stifle Tower, Mr. Rudy Gobert!

tredigs
03-05-2015, 08:42 PM
His rankings are a joke, but that's just a homer being a homer.

Rudy is going to be the best defensive big in the NBA, though. If he is not already.

KnicksorBust
03-05-2015, 08:47 PM
His rankings are a joke, but that's just a homer being a homer.

Rudy is going to be the best defensive big in the NBA, though. If he is not already.

Strong words. Put your ranking out there.

Deception
Am I the only one who hasn't been so impressed by him? I mean I know he has potential but that's all people are living off of as of now. I know he does well defending and altering shots but people are ranking him so high still

beasted86
Yes, that blogger or whatever is crazy.

He hasn't posted as gaudy numbers as Whiteside, but he seems like he will be a franchise corner piece top 5 Center in the next 5 years.

KnicksorBust
03-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Am I the only one who hasn't been so impressed by him? I mean I know he has potential but that's all people are living off of as of now. I know he does well defending and altering shots but people are ranking him so high still

Where would you rank Drummond? Is it a no brainer that you would rather have Drummond than Gobert?

xxplayerxx23
03-05-2015, 08:58 PM
I would rather have Drummond right now but I've been very impressed with him. He's a stud defender and rebounder, raw offensively if he can ever learn some defense he could become a great player imo

5ass
03-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Gobert is going to be a multiple dpoy winner.

KnicksorBust
03-05-2015, 09:06 PM
I would rather have Drummond right now but I've been very impressed with him. He's a stud defender and rebounder, raw offensively if he can ever learn some defense he could become a great player imo

What gives Drummond the edge long term?

5ass
03-05-2015, 09:11 PM
I'll take gobert over any other center if we're talking long term. I think he has best center in the league potential.

Spanklin
03-05-2015, 09:22 PM
Yes, that blogger or whatever is crazy.

He hasn't posted as gaudy numbers as Whiteside, but he seems like he will be a franchise corner piece top 5 Center in the next 5 years.

How so?

Gobert made a huge leap this year on both ends of the court. If he improves like this again next year he will possibly be considered better than Davis. I realize that's asking a lot, just sayin tho. Dude plays hungrier than Sandusky in a Jr. High locker room.

GodsSon
03-05-2015, 10:01 PM
How so?

Gobert made a huge leap this year on both ends of the court. If he improves like this again next year he will possibly be considered better than Davis. I realize that's asking a lot, just sayin tho. Dude plays hungrier than Sandusky in a Jr. High locker room.

Anthony "Uni-brow" Davis?

I like Gobert and all, but come on man.

flea
03-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Hopefully he means Ed Davis. He's got defensive upside for sure, but offensively he's a mess. I don't think any of the best centers in the NBA have ever been as bad offensively as he is to start their careers. Maybe if you count Wallace as being the best center at one point in time (I don't) then it's possible. I believe in the defensive ceiling, not the offensive one. But I haven't watched too terribly much of him.

Bruno
03-05-2015, 10:36 PM

I actually agree. I think he'll be the best defensive big in the NBA by 2016-2017, if not by the end of next season. the jazz have been elite defensively since the Kanter trade. Gobert has size and mobility that can't be taught and he has an inner dog. I think he's going to be great. He has flashes on offense as well, everyone compares him to tyson chandler but I can see Gobert averaging up to 15-17 a night in a few years. Simmons ranked him top 40 in his trade column and that was before the Kanter trade. he's proven more since then. the jazz are quietly putting together an excellent trade. they'll be a western conference power house if Exum develops into a DeRozen level all-star.

'i think Gobert could also go down as the best player from the 2013 draft, although I like Giannis and Oladipo a lot too.

KnicksorBust
03-05-2015, 10:37 PM

I actually agree. I think he'll be the best defensive big in the NBA by 2016-2017, if not by the end of next season. the jazz have been elite defensively since the Kanter trade. Gobert has size and mobility that can't be taught and he has an inner dog. I think he's going to be great. He has flashes on offense as well, everyone compares him to tyson chandler but I can see Gobert averaging up to 15-17 a night in a few years. Simmons ranked him top 40 in his trade column and that was before the Kanter trade. he's proven more since then. the jazz are quietly putting together an excellent trade. they'll be a western conference power house if Exum develops into a DeRozen level all-star.

I know Bruno I posted Simmons on this same page!!! :)

Bruno
03-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Hopefully he means Ed Davis. He's got defensive upside for sure, but offensively he's a mess. I don't think any of the best centers in the NBA have ever been as bad offensively as he is to start their careers. Maybe if you count Wallace as being the best center at one point in time (I don't) then it's possible. I believe in the defensive ceiling, not the offensive one. But I haven't watched too terribly much of him.

i disagree on the offense. his free throw stroke is clean and he has excellent mobility and hands for his size. he's getting ten a night on mostly on put backs and the occasional pick and roll, the Jazz use him for screens in pick and roll but never set plays for him.

he's excellent at setting screens and rolling, which really helps the jazz offense. Since the Kanter trade (7 games) Gobert has an offensive rating of 116 (with a defensive rating of 85). The Jazz played Portland, San Antonio, LAL, Denver, Milawakee, Memphis, Boston over that span. For the season the Jazz have a 105.5 offensive rating.

I think if anything his offensive impact is being undersold. if not yet on an individual level, certainly on the team level.

Bruno
03-05-2015, 10:44 PM
I know Bruno I posted Simmons on this same page!!! :)

whats funny is that i read that.

but yeah, even for defense give me Marc Gasol and a few other defensive centers going into a seven game series this post-season.

flea
03-05-2015, 10:48 PM
You might be right, like I said I've watched him pretty little - but every Jazz game I have watched was to see him. Still, he takes hardly any shots away from the rim and he doesn't convert the ones he does take, he turns the ball over at a pretty high level, and ORPM has him rated very poorly.

If his hands are as good as you say then yeah sure Tyson Chandler offense, but that's not all that great (certainly bottom half of the league). And I've never considered a guy like that to be the best center in the NBA.

DW3421
03-05-2015, 10:48 PM
I'd take Wiggins over Gobert that's for sure.

canefandynasty
03-06-2015, 02:01 AM
Whiteside is putting up 27.9 PER and .240 WS/.240 right now. I doubt Gobert puts those numbers up at any time in his career. I can see 25 PER... maybe. But, he's too offensively limited.

JEDean89
03-06-2015, 02:31 AM
Gobert will be DeAndre Jordan 2.0

JustinTime
03-06-2015, 02:45 AM
I'd take Wiggins over Gobert that's for sure.

Gobert was the real Allstar game MVP you know it, but yea i'd definitely take Wiggins because a great SF is way more valuable than a Great C.

JustinTime
03-06-2015, 02:46 AM
Surprised a European big can't shoot FT's.

Bruno
03-06-2015, 04:39 AM
Whiteside is putting up 27.9 PER and .240 WS/.240 right now. I doubt Gobert puts those numbers up at any time in his career. I can see 25 PER... maybe. But, he's too offensively limited.

why not? he's already averaging .200 WS and 21.8 PER in 23 mpg through 60 games this season. and in 45 of those games he came off the bench.

Bruno
03-06-2015, 04:42 AM
You might be right, like I said I've watched him pretty little - but every Jazz game I have watched was to see him. Still, he takes hardly any shots away from the rim and he doesn't convert the ones he does take, he turns the ball over at a pretty high level, and ORPM has him rated very poorly.

If his hands are as good as you say then yeah sure Tyson Chandler offense, but that's not all that great (certainly bottom half of the league). And I've never considered a guy like that to be the best center in the NBA.

I think Tyson Chandler is his offensive floor. gobert is averaging 12.5 over his past five starts, Chandlers never averaged more than 12 in a season.

WaDe03
03-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Probably 6th best center in a couple years behind Whiteside, Cousins, and Drummond, Gasol, and Howard.

IgglesFanInCO
03-06-2015, 01:20 PM
Not even as good as Nurkic at anything right now(besides maybe pure rim protecting, but Nurkic is the better defender) let alone in the future. He needs to move up the list of young centers, before people should even think about putting him in any list of the most valuable/best players in the league

Spanklin
03-06-2015, 02:25 PM
I'm guessing everyone knocking his offense doesn't realize what a crafty passer he is. He has court vision like the Gasol Brothers and Noah. Also, his post game is coming along rapidly. His hook shot is showing glimpses of being unguardable. We've all been waiting for the next sky hook, Gobert will bring it.

And yes, Anthony Davis. If Rudy continues improving at this pace the New Orleans guy will be known as Anthony Who?

beasted86
03-06-2015, 02:26 PM
How so?

How so?

Because he isn't even top 8 at his own position, how can you jump to the conclusion of top 8 overall projections so quickly? It doesn't make sense. It's a wish, not a projection.

Spanklin
03-06-2015, 02:39 PM
How so?

Because he isn't even top 8 at his own position, how can you jump to the conclusion of top 8 overall projections so quickly? It doesn't make sense. It's a wish, not a projection.

Rate of increase.

beasted86
03-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Rate of increase.

So then why stop at top 8 of current players. Why not go top 8 all time? If you simply believe he will double his production every season, you guys will have the GOAT by the end of his rookie contract.

HouRealCoach
03-06-2015, 03:04 PM
He's not even a top 5 C

dhopisthename
03-06-2015, 03:08 PM
I'm guessing everyone knocking his offense doesn't realize what a crafty passer he is. He has court vision like the Gasol Brothers and Noah. Also, his post game is coming along rapidly. His hook shot is showing glimpses of being unguardable. We've all been waiting for the next sky hook, Gobert will bring it.

And yes, Anthony Davis. If Rudy continues improving at this pace the New Orleans guy will be known as Anthony Who?

he will never be close to anthony davis offensive prowess which means he will never be close to his value. he is being really underrated on this board, but he won't even sniff anthony davis. However he might be the best defender in the nba by next year which is really nice and a huge piece for the jazz

tp13baby
03-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Denver fans are going to come in here to back Nurkic. Defensively Gobert is better rim protector. Probably faster. But Nurks game on both ends makes him a much more complete player.

Before he got injured Denver had the 8th worst average points given up per 100 possessions at 105. But when he was on the court assuming he played the entire game they were 3rd in the NBA at 99.6.

Nurk is also 2 years younger than Gobert.

I agree with whoever said it. Gobert is a Deandre Jordan type. Nurk has a similar game to Boogie.