PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly simple idea to replace the lottery....

ChiTownPacerFan
03-05-2015, 12:06 AM
Why not simply appoint a committee that will determine the NBA draft order? They would determine the draft order based on need, not record. So the team in the worst shape and with the worst outlook, not necessarily with the worst record, would get the number one pick. The committee would analyze the rosters of each team and determine the overall level of talent and potential. So this year, the number one pick might go to, say, the Lakers, even though they may finish with the fourth or fifth worst record. A team like Denver might get a better draft pick than their record indicates, while teams like Philly and Minnesota (who have lots of good young talent) might get slightly lower picks.

Sure, this would be subjective, but subjective is better than random. It would also eliminate tanking (the only way to tank would be to purposely construct a terrible roster, and what would that accomplish). Plus, it would create a ton of heated debate. Can you imagine the amount of speculation and hype that would lead up to the announcement. You could have a televised event early in the playoffs (or shortly after the finals) just like the draft lottery where the order is revealed.

And every team's position would be determined this way. So, say the Spurs win the championship this year and Parker, Ginobli, Duncan and Pop all retire. Instead of being stuck at the end of the draft, the Spurs could be given a higher draft pick based on the state of their roster.

I don't see how this isn't better in every way. I know people would end up being furious about their teams position every year (and lots would be screaming conspiracy theories), but that's not a bad thing for the league. That would only generate more publicity and more discussion.

Could it work?

goingfor28
03-05-2015, 12:07 AM
Bc every garbage team would whine about not getting it

ChiTownPacerFan
03-05-2015, 12:22 AM
Bc every garbage team would whine about not getting it

I think the fans of those teams would more than the actual teams would. This system would actually help give better draft picks to the struggling franchises most in need of a rebuild. I don't think the poor teams would really object too much. It would hurt teams who try to spend several years being "bad", while stockpiling talent. But I think that's a good thing.

jerellh528
03-05-2015, 12:29 AM
Honestly think that could work, but even more conspiracy theorists would emerge and backlash from fans wouldn't be worth it. I think the NBA would rather have fan bases upset at the outcome of random draw balls rather than the opinion of human beings. The lottery is an okay system imo

dhopisthename
03-05-2015, 12:31 AM
this would be pretty bad. I can't imagine all the rigging complaints that would be out there

Kyben36
03-05-2015, 12:42 AM
I really have no problem with the lottery myself, bad teams allways get the highest pick, but the worst tankers arnt guarenteed the first pick

NYKnickFanatic
03-05-2015, 12:46 AM
You mad?

XerxestheGreat
03-05-2015, 12:48 AM
Won't work, because the committee would consist of people and people have egos.

Random chance is much better.

They can keep the same system but expand it. Say.. the bottom ten team have equal chance of getting the number one pick in a lottery. That way teams won't be tanking as much

Sandman
03-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Flatten out the odds for all lottery teams

Either same for everyone or make it closer. 10% for worst, 9.5% for 2nd worst, etc.

Worst team still gets the #4 pick.

eibbor
03-05-2015, 01:00 AM
Honestly, and no offense, but this is a terrible idea. It's not because some teams or fans would think it's rigged. It's because it would absolutely by rigged. The second you use a committee there will be egos, money and ill advised opinions involved.

Play on the floor needs to determine it.

Instead, maybe make it so that, if you win less than 20 games, you have zero chance of a top 10 pick. If you only win 10 or 15 games and your team is pulled out for the first pick. Boom, nope, you get 11. It would make teams actually try and stop tanking.

HiphopRelated
03-05-2015, 01:01 AM
Lol @ committee.

If frozen envelope was bad, the room for conspiracy in a human decision process would go through the roof.

People cry about bias in an allstar game or all nba snub. Imagine the yearly outrage over decisions that can determine the next 10-15 years

ChiTownPacerFan
03-05-2015, 01:19 AM
I don't see why the idea of a committee is so absurd. The NCAA football playoff teams are selected by a committee. Assuming the league didn't rig it (they could just as easily rig the lottery anyway if they wanted to), it would be a better way to correctly determine a draft order that's best for the league.

eibbor
03-05-2015, 01:34 AM
I don't see why the idea of a committee is so absurd. The NCAA football playoff teams are selected by a committee. Assuming the league didn't rig it (they could just as easily rig the lottery anyway if they wanted to), it would be a better way to correctly determine a draft order that's best for the league.

The NCAA committee, which just gave it their first shot, ****ed it up and didn't pick the best 4 teams... It was because of $ and sponsors and opinion.

It has to be play of the field.

IndyRealist
03-05-2015, 02:01 AM
Isn't this what happens now, just with the fašade of a "random lottery"?

JEDean89
03-05-2015, 02:31 AM
WTF? one of the worst ideas i have ever read. first of all, do you have any idea how many people complain about a random lottery selection being rigged? this would be way too controversial. The NBA knows how it's going to fix the lottery, they just went overboard with the weighting. Something a little more favorable to the top still so that teams are doing what the 76ers are doing. I don't think any team will got that far if they know that there is a higher chance of them moving into the top 5, not top 3, and a higher chance of the #1 overall. This also has better players ending up on better teams, if would be cool if teams could get that guy to get into the playoffs, not having to wait 3-4 years after getting that guy. I think it will get done this summer, so this is the last year of full on tanking.

Sadds The Gr8
03-05-2015, 02:41 AM
Horrible

Goose17
03-05-2015, 09:40 AM
this would be pretty bad. I can't imagine all the rigging complaints that would be out there

This^

The lottery isn't that bad as it is anyway.

ChiTownPacerFan
03-05-2015, 09:49 AM
Well, okay then. Never mind. Nothing to see here...

2-ONE-5
03-05-2015, 09:52 AM
worst idea ever

valade16
03-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Wouldn't this provide more incentive to destroy your roster? It'd be hard to look at any rosters today and not say the 76ers need the most help. So the committee would award them with a top position. So now they get exactly what they want by sabotaging their talent.

Not to mention this would make trades infinitely more difficult. Would you trade your teams draft consideration potential? Then a team could trade you their "draft consideration" and then load up on talent so your draft pick gets deliberately worse.

jmartin80
03-05-2015, 11:01 AM
I cannot believe the number of people who think the lottery system isn't bad.

When ONE team gets 3 first overall picks in 4 years in a game that only starts five players, the system is broken.

I have no idea what the solution is, but the lottery system has ruined basketball. I don't think a committee is a good option, but there has to be something better out there then what is currently used.

JWO35
03-05-2015, 11:44 AM

This
If people already think the ping-pong balls bounce in certain team favors this would turn into "TeamX paid these guys off for the #1 pick"

Vinylman
03-05-2015, 11:47 AM
As a Laker fan I would be all for this because the league needs there market to be successful because they subsidize so many franchises...

conceptually it is idiotic... or na´ve at best

Goose17
03-05-2015, 11:49 AM

When ONE team gets 3 first overall picks in 4 years in a game that only starts five players, the system is broken.

I have no idea what the solution is, but the lottery system has ruined basketball. I don't think a committee is a good option, but there has to be something better out there then what is currently used.

**** happens.

To be fair at least the OP gave an alternative. You cant go complaining about things when you're not offering a solution.

Vinylman
03-05-2015, 11:52 AM

there is no need for the lottery... it should be a worse to best order like every other professional sports league.

tredigs
03-05-2015, 12:38 PM
Lmfao. If they were literally Buddhist Monks with an NBA acumen on this panel, OK, we could start the discussion.

But, as it stands the ignorance from the OP in thinking that our society could A) pull this off without rampant corruption and B) pull this off without rampant suspected corruption is actually quite endearing. Part of me wishes I could revert back to an age where I could think a plan like this was a great idea.

ChiTownPacerFan
03-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Lmfao. If they were literally Buddhist Monks with an NBA acumen on this panel, OK, we could start the discussion.

But, as it stands the ignorance from the OP in thinking that our society could A) pull this off without rampant corruption and B) pull this off without rampant suspected corruption is actually quite endearing. Part of me wishes I could revert back to an age where I could think a plan like this was a great idea.

Yeah, I guess this was more of a fun thought experiment. In an ideal world, this would be a better way of choosing a draft order. I guess it's too idealistic to really work in practice. I would like to think that there are great minds out there that understand basketball well enough to do this in a fair and impartial way, but even as I'm typing that it does sound a bit far fetched...

tredigs
03-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I guess this was more of a fun thought experiment. In an ideal world, this would be a better way of choosing a draft order. I guess it's too idealistic to really work in practice. I would like to think that there are great minds out there that understand basketball well enough to do this in a fair and impartial way, but even as I'm typing that it does sound a bit far fetched...

Just think, the cries of hypocrisy because "X team got Y pick so why didn't we get Z pick in T year?!?" would be never ****ing ending. Even if this panel was filled with NBA saints who came to their decisions with nothing but the best intentions, they'd be pariahs.

I truly do think the current system is about as close to ideal/fair as we can get without the NBA having a legitimate 'B league' and relegation ala most international sports systems. Certain GM's tank, sure -- but they're blowing valuable seasons in doing so and they are still far from guaranteed to get the top spot even if they're the worst team. It's actually MUCH more likely that the worst team in the NBA will not get a top 3 pick than that they do (65/35).

InRoseWeTrust
03-05-2015, 01:37 PM
No system pertaining to the draft will ever work and/or gain public acceptance if it's tied to human decision-making.

2-ONE-5
03-05-2015, 01:43 PM
As a Laker fan I would be all for this because the league needs there market to be successful because they subsidize so many franchises...

conceptually it is idiotic... or na´ve at best

so you want the largest market in the league to be handed the best players?

lakerfan85
03-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Just have the 4 worst teams play a single elimination tournament to determine who gets picks 1-4.. 5 and on would be determined by record..

TheNumber37
03-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Who you gonna pick that KNOWS NBA Basketball without Bias?

TheNumber37
03-05-2015, 02:08 PM
It should be...
Top 16 teams in the NBA go to playoffs. EVERYONE ELSE lottery.

SO yeah, that would mean that a team finishing 9th in the west, would have no trouble having a shot at the overall pick.

Teams would have NO reason to tank because a higher pick is not guaranteed by having a worse record.
It would also reduce the power of attaching picks to trades because you don't know where it's gonna be

GIANTKNICK
03-05-2015, 02:18 PM
Why not simply appoint a committee that will determine the NBA draft order? They would determine the draft order based on need, not record. So the team in the worst shape and with the worst outlook, not necessarily with the worst record, would get the number one pick. The committee would analyze the rosters of each team and determine the overall level of talent and potential. So this year, the number one pick might go to, say, the Lakers, even though they may finish with the fourth or fifth worst record. A team like Denver might get a better draft pick than their record indicates, while teams like Philly and Minnesota (who have lots of good young talent) might get slightly lower picks.

Sure, this would be subjective, but subjective is better than random. It would also eliminate tanking (the only way to tank would be to purposely construct a terrible roster, and what would that accomplish). Plus, it would create a ton of heated debate. Can you imagine the amount of speculation and hype that would lead up to the announcement. You could have a televised event early in the playoffs (or shortly after the finals) just like the draft lottery where the order is revealed.

And every team's position would be determined this way. So, say the Spurs win the championship this year and Parker, Ginobli, Duncan and Pop all retire. Instead of being stuck at the end of the draft, the Spurs could be given a higher draft pick based on the state of their roster.

I don't see how this isn't better in every way. I know people would end up being furious about their teams position every year (and lots would be screaming conspiracy theories), but that's not a bad thing for the league. That would only generate more publicity and more discussion.

Could it work?

This is dumb!
The lottery is the best way. The worst record hardly ever wins so I don't really get the problem with the process.

2-ONE-5
03-05-2015, 02:32 PM
It should be...
Top 16 teams in the NBA go to playoffs. EVERYONE ELSE lottery.

SO yeah, that would mean that a team finishing 9th in the west, would have no trouble having a shot at the overall pick.

Teams would have NO reason to tank because a higher pick is not guaranteed by having a worse record.
It would also reduce the power of attaching picks to trades because you don't know where it's gonna be

ha yea tihs would be fair

sports1983fan
03-05-2015, 02:38 PM
IMO tanking only works when their is a once in a life talent i.e Duncan Durant and the teams that do it year to year should suffer whatever they get. Smart teams do smart things and no how to build without high draft picks so anyway the draft order is picked would not change this

Vinylman
03-05-2015, 02:42 PM
so you want the largest market in the league to be handed the best players?

of course I do under his idiotic proposal... it is best for the league financially... and of course my team

jmartin80
03-05-2015, 02:46 PM
**** happens.

To be fair at least the OP gave an alternative. You cant go complaining about things when you're not offering a solution.

Yeah, I forgot that on a sports forum you weren't allowed to complain about things. People never complain about things on PSD without solutions. I forgot that rule. My bad. :rolleyes:

I also never said anything bad about the OP. I have always said I prefer worst record picks first and on down as compared to the lottery.

I understand that **** happens, but any system that gives the exact same team three picks in four years is broken and unfair for the league.

koreancabbage
03-05-2015, 02:55 PM
LOL worst idea ever. People are corrupt. People already thinking lottery is rigged - and that is already hard enough to predict - but is watched over by a large accounting firm I believe.

ChiTownPacerFan
03-05-2015, 03:45 PM
I don't agree that the amount of people screaming "rigged" would increase as much as some of you. There are already TONS of people claiming that every single year. Those same people that claim that the lottery is rigged would be claiming that the committee is paid off. That wouldn't really change...

Goose17
03-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I forgot that on a sports forum you weren't allowed to complain about things. People never complain about things on PSD without solutions. I forgot that rule. My bad. :rolleyes:

I also never said anything bad about the OP. I have always said I prefer worst record picks first and on down as compared to the lottery.

I understand that **** happens, but any system that gives the exact same team three picks in four years is broken and unfair for the league.

My point is you saw the lotto system is flawed, which it is, but that doesn't mean there's something better.

Nothing against complaining, just saying if you know what the flaws are why can't you think up a solution? Is it perhaps because there is no real solution, there is no better option at this point?

ChiTownPacerFan
03-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Furthermore, and more importantly, I don't care if people would cry that it was rigged. I'm not proposing an idea that would be best received by the fans. I'm proposing an idea that, if executed correctly, would be the best for the league.
Also, it WOULDN'T be rigged! This is a hypothetical situation. In other words, if I were commissioner, this is what I might do. It obviously wouldn't work if the system in place is corrupt and broken. But if that's the premise we're starting from, then nothing would work!

Vinylman
03-05-2015, 04:43 PM
Furthermore, and more importantly, I don't care if people would cry that it was rigged. I'm not proposing an idea that would be best received by the fans. I'm proposing an idea that, if executed correctly, would be the best for the league.
Also, it WOULDN'T be rigged! This is a hypothetical situation. In other words, if I were commissioner, this is what I might do. It obviously wouldn't work if the system in place is corrupt and broken. But if that's the premise we're starting from, then nothing would work!

na´ve much?

what is best for the league is the big markets having success because they have the greatest revenue potential...

so again... as a fan of a big market team I am all for your absurd proposal

ChiTownPacerFan
03-05-2015, 05:32 PM
na´ve much?

what is best for the league is the big markets having success because they have the greatest revenue potential...

so again... as a fan of a big market team I am all for your absurd proposal

Sorry, let me specify. When I say best for the league, I mean best for competitive parity. Not best for the league making money.

Vinylman
03-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Sorry, let me specify. When I say best for the league, I mean best for competitive parity. Not best for the league making money.

If that is your goal then you don't start with the lottery...

making the league more competitive is quite simple

1. contract 4 teams ... there is not enough talent
2. Install a Hard Cap
3. Eliminate max contracts....

The league would be transformed overnight

sep11ie
03-06-2015, 04:54 PM
This is a pretty bad idea.

da ThRONe
03-06-2015, 05:06 PM
There's nothing simple about the tanking process. It can be fix for the most part, but I don't think even Silver has the forward thinking to pull it off.

ThornMo
03-06-2015, 05:10 PM
not a great idea.

They'd put the lottery teams in their own single elimination playoff to determine draft order before they did what you suggested. and that's still a long shot.

HeatFan
03-07-2015, 03:35 PM

Could it work?

You essentially want a BCS like committee that no one every understands and constantly complains about. Truth is, no system will ever be perfect and the line has to be drawn somewhere. Not saying this idea is impossible, just saying I prefer the current system. There could be something else that works better, just don't think this would be it.

SeoulBeatz
03-07-2015, 03:45 PM
I can't see the OP's idea working at all.
Too much room for favoritism and corruption.

Sanjay
03-08-2015, 07:54 PM
You essentially want a BCS like committee that no one every understands and constantly complains about. Truth is, no system will ever be perfect and the line has to be drawn somewhere. Not saying this idea is impossible, just saying I prefer the current system. There could be something else that works better, just don't think this would be it.

I agree every model would have its' flaws, but I think a committee would be better than the current lottery. Regarding the college football playoff committee, at the end of the day they did get the four best teams in the country (although maybe Baylor would have something to say about that) and if the old college football model was used the title game would have been Alabama vs Florida State. The negative of a committee would obviously be bias (the original poster showed it, suggesting the Lakers and Spurs should get high draft picks - keeping the 'big' franchises at the top). However, I believe this would be better than teams tanking.

But, personally I think an elimination tournament with the lottery teams would be the way to go, picture the Suns getting the number one pick in a couple of years where there is the next LeBron, everybody wants to come and play with him and they eventually win a championship, then this player retires and the team goes down to the bottom, the teammates of the 'next LeBron' start sorting it out and eventually they win the elimination lottery tournament again (clearly this is a dream scenario and the timespan would be much longer. but I believe it is the general idea of this system).

RLundi
03-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Nah, not a good idea. The current system isn't all that bad tbh. You people are ALWAYS going to complain about it either way, so leave it the way it is.

JEDean89
03-08-2015, 09:06 PM
^^^ the fans will never accept a lottery committee, it would be so controversial that every year there would be the debate. Why have a subjective approach? It simply says, we value this franchise getting better talent than this franchise. What if the they decided that the Knicks, Lakers and 76ers should draft 1, 2, 3 because they are the biggest markets with the biggest need. It just would cause too much anger.

king4day
03-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Not a horrible idea. It'd have to be combined with other things but it's better than the stupid wheel idea.

2-ONE-5
03-09-2015, 09:59 AM
I agree every model would have its' flaws, but I think a committee would be better than the current lottery. Regarding the college football playoff committee, at the end of the day they did get the four best teams in the country (although maybe Baylor would have something to say about that) and if the old college football model was used the title game would have been Alabama vs Florida State. The negative of a committee would obviously be bias (the original poster showed it, suggesting the Lakers and Spurs should get high draft picks - keeping the 'big' franchises at the top). However, I believe this would be better than teams tanking.

But, personally I think an elimination tournament with the lottery teams would be the way to go, picture the Suns getting the number one pick in a couple of years where there is the next LeBron, everybody wants to come and play with him and they eventually win a championship, then this player retires and the team goes down to the bottom, the teammates of the 'next LeBron' start sorting it out and eventually they win the elimination lottery tournament again (clearly this is a dream scenario and the timespan would be much longer. but I believe it is the general idea of this system).

the same 4 teams likely make the playoff even with the old system, the commitee didnt really make any difference and is still a bad idea.

An elimnation tourney would be ridiculous too

HeatFan
03-09-2015, 10:45 AM

Have an elimination tournament doesn't necessarily help the bona fide horrible team. I mean, if you had such a bad record, even without tanking, how can you continue to be penalized having to then beat teams that are probably better than you. For example, let's assume OKC doesn't make the playoffs, they would be a clear favorite to win an elimination tournament for the draft, giving a team with two perennial all-stars a #1 pick. You think a team like NY or PHI have a good chance against them?

I think that maybe the lottery should be for the first 12 picks and then go by record. Also, reduce probability (ping pong balls) and make more parity in chances of getting the first pick than there is now. That way, you can tank all you want but it doesn't increase your chances. On the other hand, tanking reduces fan interest (meaning less $$$). Tanking really hard, under the current system, at the least guarantees a fourth pick. Which is still probably worth it for some teams (depending on how deep the draft is).

Lastly, if there is a committee, then have the committee exist only for purposes of investigating teams constantly. Something like the NCAA investigating player benefits and/or recruiting violations. If a team is really trying hard to tank, at some point it would be discovered, even if it happens after the Draft. Then put hard sanctions on teams that are later proved to have actively tanked (loss of picks, monetary sanctions, etc.)

KnicksorBust
03-09-2015, 10:51 AM

They would never do it but I completely agree that a tournament idea is wildly exciting. Single elimination/march madness style. You would be done in a week and they'd get great ratings. Plus the teams at the bottom would want to be competitive in the tournament so even teams in the lottery might make deadline moves. A lot less guys would be shut down early and taking extra games off which isn't that the whole purpose?

da ThRONe
03-09-2015, 12:41 PM
The reason things like tanking doesn't get solved is because the root problems aren't being addressed. The root problem is that tanking is the best solution for a bad team to get better. This is the best solution because it's a superstar driven sport just the way the Sterns league office wanted it. The NBA will never have a legimate answer for tanking until they make the sport more team oriented.

This is probably the only way to solve tanking.

-Reducing the season to 60 games
This would allow a two game a week schedule. Allowing coaches to properly gameplan and practice for each team.
-Getting rid of max contracts
Forcing franchises to pay full market value for it's players will create far more balanced rosters
-Creating five 3 team divisions with each division winner receiving automatic playoff spot
With 5 automatic spots up for grabs more teams have something to fight for much deeper into what would already be a shorten season.

With those rule changes I would just end the lottery altogether and the draft order would be given out by wins and losses.

valade16
03-09-2015, 01:08 PM
They would never do it but I completely agree that a tournament idea is wildly exciting. Single elimination/march madness style. You would be done in a week and they'd get great ratings. Plus the teams at the bottom would want to be competitive in the tournament so even teams in the lottery might make deadline moves. A lot less guys would be shut down early and taking extra games off which isn't that the whole purpose?

The only problem I foresee is you'd have teams like say NO or Phoenix who miss the playoffs and are "lottery" teams but obviously still very good. So they would likely win this tournament and get a high impact player over many other teams that actually need it.

Not to say the idea is completely unworkable, because it is an intriguing idea, I'd just like to know how we solve that problem.

KnicksorBust
03-09-2015, 02:37 PM
The only problem I foresee is you'd have teams like say NO or Phoenix who miss the playoffs and are "lottery" teams but obviously still very good. So they would likely win this tournament and get a high impact player over many other teams that actually need it.

Not to say the idea is completely unworkable, because it is an intriguing idea, I'd just like to know how we solve that problem.

But aren't the teams that "need" the players the reason why this thread even exists? People are so fed up with the teams like the Knicks/Sixers that they want to force those teams to be competitive. Are we even sure the "good" lottery teams are guaranteed to win a single elimination tournament?

Maybe the two teams in the tournament finals get picks #1 and #2 and everyone else is slotted in by record? This way the worst team in the NBA is still guaranteed the #3 pick but it gives a team like the Suns or Pelicans an incentive to continue to improve and get better at the end of the season because they know they can steal the top pick in the draft.

HeatFan
03-09-2015, 06:15 PM

Shutting guys down early, or resting, happens just as much with teams that are not even in the lottery conversation (e.g., spurs, cavs, etc.). How do you end it with those teams?

KnicksorBust
03-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Shutting guys down early, or resting, happens just as much with teams that are not even in the lottery conversation (e.g., spurs, cavs, etc.). How do you end it with those teams?

I don't. There should be no penalty for resting players. They are implementing a strategy that will help them in the short and long term. It's not like the Spurs or Cavs are intentionally trying to lose.

blahblahyoutoo
03-09-2015, 09:34 PM
i already proposed the best possible solution.

team that finishes last has ZERO chance at getting 1st pick, or some variation of this (e.g. bottom 3 teams no chance, or last place team 0 chance at top 3, 2nd to last no chance at top 2, 3rd to last no chance at top, etc.).
this will take care of tanking for 1st pick.

HeatFan
03-09-2015, 10:19 PM

team that finishes last has ZERO chance at getting 1st pick, or some variation of this (e.g. bottom 3 teams no chance, or last place team 0 chance at top 3, 2nd to last no chance at top 2, 3rd to last no chance at top, etc.).

Yeah, kind of like having the last place team of the Fantasy league pay an extra fee so that they try to at least beat the second worst team. Sounds fair. Also, it avoids having teams that are competing for playoff spots have their rival get a free pass when every game counts.

tredigs
03-10-2015, 01:23 AM

Short sighted at best. What's to stop the "mid-level" crap teams from tanking the 2nd half of the season for the 4th-6th worst record in hopes of getting the top pick? Meanwhile the truly terrible teams stay that way (at least have a better chance of staying that way), while the less weak teams get even better.

da ThRONe
03-10-2015, 01:36 AM
Why are people trying to penalize the teams that need the help the most? That is the point of a draft system.

2-ONE-5
03-10-2015, 08:50 AM

bahahah this might be the worst of all the suggestions

valade16
03-10-2015, 11:25 AM
But aren't the teams that "need" the players the reason why this thread even exists? People are so fed up with the teams like the Knicks/Sixers that they want to force those teams to be competitive. Are we even sure the "good" lottery teams are guaranteed to win a single elimination tournament?

Maybe the two teams in the tournament finals get picks #1 and #2 and everyone else is slotted in by record? This way the worst team in the NBA is still guaranteed the #3 pick but it gives a team like the Suns or Pelicans an incentive to continue to improve and get better at the end of the season because they know they can steal the top pick in the draft.

Of course in a single elimination tournament there is always luck that comes in to play. I mean, it's not a terrible idea. But I'm leery of an idea where an Anthony Davis led team can get the #1 pick. I mean, even adding in the #1 player are they guaranteed to even make the playoffs next season? The West is so deep. What if an Anthony Davis led team gets the next 2 #1 picks. That seems absurdly unfair.

deaner
03-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Committee? Nah

But I do think a franchise should be accountable for being competitive. I think they should look at either the NBA or owners being able to vote to replace an ownership group. Teams should be held accountable to be competitive in the present while building for the future. Set a criteria like: a team in the bottom 5 for three out of four years is doing the league or fans justice.

KnicksorBust
03-10-2015, 02:52 PM
Of course in a single elimination tournament there is always luck that comes in to play. I mean, it's not a terrible idea. But I'm leery of an idea where an Anthony Davis led team can get the #1 pick. I mean, even adding in the #1 player are they guaranteed to even make the playoffs next season? The West is so deep. What if an Anthony Davis led team gets the next 2 #1 picks. That seems absurdly unfair.

Good point. I suppose to me the fact that you said the bolded shows why it would be exciting for a team like the Pelicans to get a chance at the #1 pick. Also, I don't think there is even a counter argument about the competitive aspect. It definitely would force teams to play their best players to try and win games. "Tanking" wouldn't exist because teams like the Knicks/Sixers would know that they have no chance to get the #1 or #2 pick.

blahblahyoutoo
03-10-2015, 08:53 PM
Short sighted at best. What's to stop the "mid-level" crap teams from tanking the 2nd half of the season for the 4th-6th worst record in hopes of getting the top pick? Meanwhile the truly terrible teams stay that way (at least have a better chance of staying that way), while the less weak teams get even better.

that they could possibly finish bottom X of the pack?
it's easy to be last place without repercussion. trying to finagle your way into 5th last is much harder when the last place teams have a lot more to lose.

Sanjay
03-26-2015, 06:11 PM
the same 4 teams likely make the playoff even with the old system, the commitee didnt really make any difference and is still a bad idea.

An elimnation tourney would be ridiculous too

How come you don't like the idea of an elimination tournament?

2-ONE-5
03-26-2015, 06:33 PM
How come you don't like the idea of an elimination tournament?

bcuz its not fair. its never in a million years going to be considered so i dont much more thought into it

IDunknown
03-28-2015, 03:36 PM
I like the committee idea, but instead of a meeting it should be an anonymous vote.

ChI_ShIzzLe
03-28-2015, 03:57 PM
Worst idea ever. The only way to end tanking is getting 14 lottery balls with the 14 teams' logos on it that didn't make the playoffs, and then do a live drawing on TV the way state lotteries do. The first ball to come out will be the team that gets the first pick, 2nd ball 2nd pick, etc. The only tanking situation from this might be 7th and 8th seeds who feel they'd be better off going for a shot at a top pick instead of a quick 1st round exit in the playoffs, which is still better than what teams like the Knicks, Lakers and Sixers are doing because you can only lose so much since someone has to get those bottom seeds.

dhopisthename
03-28-2015, 04:16 PM
Worst idea ever. The only way to end tanking is getting 14 lottery balls with the 14 teams' logos on it that didn't make the playoffs, and then do a live drawing on TV the way state lotteries do. The first ball to come out will be the team that gets the first pick, 2nd ball 2nd pick, etc. The only tanking situation from this might be 7th and 8th seeds who feel they'd be better off going for a shot at a top pick instead of a quick 1st round exit in the playoffs, which is still better than what teams like the Knicks, Lakers and Sixers are doing because you can only lose so much since someone has to get those bottom seeds.

that is the problem with any kind of lottery is that lets say the celtics right now in the 8th seed but it loses a few games to go from 0% chance to a 1/14 you bet that a few of players might come up with mysterious injuries.

ChI_ShIzzLe
03-28-2015, 06:18 PM
that is the problem with any kind of lottery is that lets say the celtics right now in the 8th seed but it loses a few games to go from 0% chance to a 1/14 you bet that a few of players might come up with mysterious injuries.

That's not a bad trade-off for an all out 82-game tank marathon. At that point fans can bear a 15-20 game tank job to fall out of the playoffs and get a shot at a top pick as opposed to watching the disgrace to basketball for an entire season.

chitownbulls
03-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Honestly don't think this would be horrible if done correctly. Maybe if each lottery team had an opportunity to present their case why they would need a higher pick. And each case is open to the public to appease fans, and show why specific teams were selected where they were