PDA

View Full Version : Rockets GM Daryl Morey: "Take James Harden off our team, and we're nowhere, basically

SF8
03-03-2015, 11:20 PM
Dan Feldman‏@DanFeldmanNBA
"Take James Harden off our team, and we're nowhere, basically" -Daryl Morey

https://twitter.com/DanFeldmanNBA/status/571723622785679360

Its probably true but kinda surprising to see a GM admit this. He built the entire roster, and picked the coach and yet claims they are a one man team? Whose fault is that?

And do other Rockets players really enjoy Morey admitting that their all nothing without Harden?

Gotta love the honesty though.

Tony_Starks
03-03-2015, 11:32 PM
Keep talking Morey.....please just keep talking!

He's almost becoming as fun as the late Kahn. Actually he's more fun, he's Kahn with twitter tantrums!

rockets-fan
03-03-2015, 11:33 PM
I thought that without harden we were nothing...tonight proved me wrong. Yea we lost but the team played great...

And he's just campaigning for Hardens MVP. Don't read too much Into it

Blitzace137
03-03-2015, 11:35 PM
He's right you guys are making this out to be more than it is. Take any best player out of their teams in the Western Conference and most would struggle.

Ezio
03-03-2015, 11:37 PM
He's right you guys are making this out to be more than it is. Take any best player out of their teams in the Western Conference and most would struggle.

Best player out of any team.

ManRam
03-03-2015, 11:38 PM
It's a star-driven league, barring the very rare exceptions. He's a top-5 player, easily. Morey's smart and knows the value of having a legit super star.

Nothing here. Benign comment. Even after tonight's game where they competed admirably against a great team without him. It doesn't even represent a sample size, let alone a significant one.

eibbor
03-03-2015, 11:41 PM
lmao I wish I had never watched sports ever... Because this guy is absolutely the dumbest guy in sports and he is killing it money wise and a GM. FML

SF8
03-03-2015, 11:44 PM

Yea but he says they would be "no where".

If you took Curry off the Warriors, I don't think they would be "no where". If you took Lillard or LMA off the Blazers, I don't think they would be "no where". If you took Duncan off the Spurs, I don't think they would be "no where". Etc.

All those teams would still respectfully be at least playoff teams.

Hell Pelicans are 5-0 in their last 5 without Davis, Holliday and Anderson.

D-Leethal
03-03-2015, 11:49 PM
He has been campaigning for Harden's MVP all year, this is no different. Can't blame him, its a tight race and basically comes down to public opinion, every public statement helps sway that, from GMs, coaches, analysts alike. I remember when Chandler won DPOY, he wasn't even being considered until a John Hollinger article that had him leapfrog the competition like I've never seen before (didn't even get first all team defense). The reporter-voted awards are nothing more than beauty pageants. Flavor of the month usually wins.

Chronz
03-03-2015, 11:54 PM
Keep talking Morey.....please just keep talking!

He's almost becoming as fun as the late Kahn. Actually he's more fun, he's Kahn with twitter tantrums!
Kahn lacked his intelligence so Wats the corollary

D-Leethal
03-04-2015, 12:01 AM

The fact that he loves to hear himself talk, obviously, thats just what he said.

eibbor
03-04-2015, 12:09 AM

You would think someone who could use corollary in a sentence, though used incorrectly, could spell "what's."

Loco

Saddletramp
03-04-2015, 01:27 AM
Yea but he says they would be "no where".

If you took Curry off the Warriors, I don't think they would be "no where". If you took Lillard or LMA off the Blazers, I don't think they would be "no where". If you took Duncan off the Spurs, I don't think they would be "no where". Etc.

All those teams would still respectfully be at least playoff teams.

Hell Pelicans are 5-0 in their last 5 without Davis, Holliday and Anderson.

That's kind of his point, though. He's just trying to ram home the thought that Harden is the MVP.

And didn't the Pels just lose a game to the Mavs the other day?

Chronz
03-04-2015, 01:59 AM
You would think someone who could use corollary in a sentence, though used incorrectly, could spell "what's."

Loco

I can never tell if you're ******** or brilliant mudvayne.

KnicksorBust
03-04-2015, 01:47 PM
He has been campaigning for Harden's MVP all year, this is no different. Can't blame him, its a tight race and basically comes down to public opinion, every public statement helps sway that, from GMs, coaches, analysts alike. I remember when Chandler won DPOY, he wasn't even being considered until a John Hollinger article that had him leapfrog the competition like I've never seen before (didn't even get first all team defense). The reporter-voted awards are nothing more than beauty pageants. Flavor of the month usually wins.

Spot-on.

Goose17
03-04-2015, 03:18 PM
He's right.

But you have to think the other guys have an issue with him saying that. Especially sensitive guys like Dwight.

cmellofan15
03-04-2015, 03:32 PM
is there any context to this?

sep11ie
03-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Who cares, Morey also took a dump the other day that was built together better than the Knicks and Lakers combined.

Hawkeye15
03-04-2015, 04:09 PM

there was no bigger fan of Kahn, than Kahn

Hawkeye15
03-04-2015, 04:10 PM
He's right.

But you have to think the other guys have an issue with him saying that. Especially sensitive guys like Dwight.

considering how much time Dwight has missed, I don't think he would care about this.

tredigs
03-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Yeah, clearly he's just doing more promotion for his All Star (probably in the hopes that garnering an MVP for his player will sway more prospects to come), but at this point he's almost becoming a parody of himself with this ****. I don't think it's a great look when your GM is also #1 cheerleader.

SF8
03-05-2015, 06:48 AM
Yeah, clearly he's just doing more promotion for his All Star (probably in the hopes that garnering an MVP for his player will sway more prospects to come), but at this point he's almost becoming a parody of himself with this ****. I don't think it's a great look when your GM is also #1 cheerleader.
Sounds desperate imo.

kdspurman
03-05-2015, 04:31 PM

Goose17
03-05-2015, 05:43 PM

I ****ing love that man.

You can tell he came up under guys like Pop.

cmellofan15
03-05-2015, 06:24 PM
I ****ing love that man.

smoove move by kerr. I don't mind what morey said, but I love the tension that's stirring between the two teams.

Tony_Starks
03-05-2015, 07:00 PM

If Harden doesn't win MVP I can totally see Morey pulling a Kanye at the ceremony....

Saddletramp
03-05-2015, 08:29 PM

All he's doing is talking **** through the media while saying that he's above talking **** through the media. Kerr is a jokester, always has been since at least his TNT days. When he feels that Curry is no longer in the MVP driver's seat, he'll do his own campaigning.

InRoseWeTrust
03-05-2015, 08:32 PM
is there any context to this?

The context is the Rockets are putting on a massive PR campaign for MVP. See, e.g., their recent tweet about 'King' James.

Goose17
03-06-2015, 02:49 AM
All he's doing is talking **** through the media while saying that he's above talking **** through the media. Kerr is a jokester, always has been since at least his TNT days. When he feels that Curry is no longer in the MVP driver's seat, he'll do his own campaigning.

LOL. You mad.

Saddletramp
03-06-2015, 03:30 AM
LOL. You mad.

Nah. It's all good. I like jokesters.

Goose17
03-06-2015, 04:24 AM
Nah. It's all good. I like jokesters.

Yeah. Morey is a funny dude.

nastynice
03-06-2015, 06:26 AM
smoove move by kerr. I don't mind what morey said, but I love the tension that's stirring between the two teams.

yup, and it ALL started here on psd.

likemystylez
03-06-2015, 11:09 AM

LOL- I think it would help more if public statements were coming from multiple sources, as well as sources that clearly werent bias.

likemystylez
03-06-2015, 11:13 AM
If Harden doesn't win MVP I can totally see Morey pulling a Kanye at the ceremony....

LOL- and hed be doing it as his rockets were down 3-1 to the Mavs in the first round of the playoffs

kdspurman
03-06-2015, 11:33 AM
I ****ing love that man.

The "we're focused on other stuff" definitely sounds Poppish

TheIlladelph16
03-06-2015, 11:58 AM

Exactly. He's focused on other stuff for sure, like lobbing passive aggressive shots at other GMs through the media. I like Kerr a lot, but talk about hilariously contradicting yourself with one sentence.

Goose17
03-06-2015, 02:36 PM
The "we're focused on other stuff" definitely sounds Poppish

Exactly what I thought.

nastynice
03-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Exactly. He's focused on other stuff for sure, like lobbing passive aggressive shots at other GMs through the media. I like Kerr a lot, but talk about hilariously contradicting yourself with one sentence.

He didn't contradict himself. He said Morey is running an MVP campaign, while the Warriors are not. Are they? I didn't see him campaign anything for Curry in that statement.

nastynice
03-06-2015, 03:45 PM

He never said he was above talking **** through the media. He said he is focused on things other than running an MVP campaign.

lol, Kerr's the man. I love watching him get heated on the sidelines haha

D-Leethal
03-06-2015, 03:50 PM
LOL- I think it would help more if public statements were coming from multiple sources, as well as sources that clearly werent bias.

I didn't say this particular statement was going to sway Harden's perception in the right direction - if anything I think it backfired on Morey. I was speaking from Morey's point of view as to why he can't keep his mouth shut about Harden.

InRoseWeTrust
03-06-2015, 03:56 PM
He didn't contradict himself. He said Morey is running an MVP campaign, while the Warriors are not. Are they? I didn't see him campaign anything for Curry in that statement.

I think what the point he was trying to say is when you come out to the media and go "We're not campaigning for Curry for MVP", to a certain extent you kind of are by even putting the words 'Curry' and 'MVP' and acknowledging his candidacy.

Verbal Christ
03-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Kerr is just trolling MOrey because he failed miserably as a GM. He took Mark Jacksons team and designed a crafty offense for it and its working out. Good for him, its easy to talk smack when you are on top of the world. Moreys comments on the Dan Lebatard show:

DL: Why is Kerr going after you? He’s taking shots at you Morey. You’re focused on getting Harden and MVP he says and he’s focused on winning championships. Here’s the quote Morey that you can react to: “If Daryl Morey wants to run his own one-man campaign for James Harden he can do that. We’re focused on other stuff.”

DM: OK…Well, I haven’t seen that so I guess I can’t…

DL: WELL LIVE REACTION! LIVE REACTION FROM DARYL MOREY! GO AHEAD.

DM: (laughing) I would say that myself and James are only focused on winning the championship so I think that’s a bit of a straw man argument he set up…

Keep Kerr away from personnel decisions and the Dubs will be just fine.

Goose17
03-06-2015, 04:06 PM
I think what the point he was trying to say is when you come out to the media and go "We're not campaigning for Curry for MVP", to a certain extent you kind of are by even putting the words 'Curry' and 'MVP' and acknowledging his candidacy.

He didn't say that though. He never mentioned Curry's name.

Basically what he was saying is; We don't care about individual accolades. We're trying to win the championship.

TheIlladelph16
03-06-2015, 04:09 PM

I'm not even talking about an MVP campaign. Kerr just took a shot at another GM through the media under the guise that "they're focused on other stuff." Maybe if he was focused on other stuff like winning a championship, he should be doing that instead of taking cheap shots at another GM for doing what countless other coaches and GMs do every year. It's childish.

Ariza's Better
03-06-2015, 04:14 PM
I like Kerr as a coach but let's honest, what he said was pretty generic thing coaches say about individual awards. I guarantee every coach would say the exact same thing.

Goose17
03-06-2015, 04:27 PM
I'm not even talking about an MVP campaign. Kerr just took a shot at another GM through the media under the guise that "they're focused on other stuff." Maybe if he was focused on other stuff like winning a championship, he should be doing that instead of taking cheap shots at another GM for doing what countless other coaches and GMs do every year. It's childish.

LOL he got asked a questioned and he answered it honestly.

I don't see you whining because Morey is spending his time campaigning for Harden to be MVP. Let the man's game do the talking, saying that stuff is weak.

Chronz
03-06-2015, 04:35 PM

He sort of has a point tho. I remember when the Pacers were lobbying for Artest's DPOY, they were citing some crazy stat that was never verified but the media ate it up.

HeatFan
03-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Technically they are nothing without Harden AND Howard.

Vinylman
03-06-2015, 06:45 PM

except he never said what you put in quotes...

people's lack of understanding when it comes to the english language amazes me.

valade16
03-06-2015, 07:29 PM

Having seen a lot of Steve Kerr interviews I don't think he was being passive agressive at all. I think he was sincere in saying he genuinely doesn't care about that stuff.

Verbal Christ
03-07-2015, 02:20 PM
https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/574055202069700609

I courteously submit that @JHarden13, while only focused on obtaining a win, had a distinguished game 4the @HoustonRockets team this evening

:laugh:

Goose17
03-07-2015, 02:56 PM
https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/574055202069700609

:laugh:

LOL that's awesome. You were right, Morey is a jokester. :laugh:

SF8
03-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Has any GM or team staff whored more for their guy getting MVP than Daryl Morey has this season?

Scoots
03-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Morey said it at the MIT Sloan sports analytics conference when asked about Harden as an MVP candidate.

My favorite part is that sitting next to him was Bob Myers, GM of the Warriors, and he was asked about Curry's MVP candidacy and his response was something like "Well, Steph is leading the team with the best record and the team is 4-0 vs the Rockets." :)

Goose17
03-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Morey said it at the MIT Sloan sports analytics conference when asked about Harden as an MVP candidate.

My favorite part is that sitting next to him was Bob Myers, GM of the Warriors, and he was asked about Curry's MVP candidacy and his response was something like "Well, Steph is leading the team with the best record and the team is 4-0 vs the Rockets." :)

:laugh: Go get 'em Bob!!

Scoots
03-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Watching the Rockets games with Rockets play by play is funny all the hyping they do for their players. It's nearly constant. Everything is about the Rockets, every player on the rockets is the best. :)

Greg.
03-08-2015, 02:33 PM
Watching the Rockets games with Rockets play by play is funny all the hyping they do for their players. It's nearly constant. Everything is about the Rockets, every player on the rockets is the best. :)

omg our play by play guys have to be the worst in the nba

sep11ie
03-08-2015, 02:38 PM
Our play by play dudes are the most biased people i have ever heard.
Also, i have no problem with what Kerr said, he is proving this year that he is a great coach, but people that criticize Morey don't really understand his sense of humor.

Tony_Starks
03-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Morey is great entertainment indeed. If they fall on their face in the playoffs once again I'm going to need him to be as vocal as he is now tho. Elaborate on how what he calls the best C in the game and the MVP can't out of the first round.....

JJ_JKidd
03-08-2015, 11:45 PM
Its probably true but kinda surprising to see a GM admit this. He built the entire roster, and picked the coach and yet claims they are a one man team? Whose fault is that?

And do other Rockets players really enjoy Morey admitting that their all nothing without Harden?

Gotta love the honesty though.

I wonder what Dwight has to say? Assuming he is playing..

nastynice
03-09-2015, 12:03 AM

I don't think he took a shot under any type of "guise". I think he very openly and clearly took a shot, saying they got bigger fish to fry. It seems pretty straight forward to me, I don't get what all this talk about him trying to say something without actually saying it is all about. He actually said it. Very straight forward.

mightybosstone
03-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Why is this even threadworthy? It's no surprise what Morey said and this certainly isn't the first time a GM has campaigned for his player to win MVP, nor will it be the last.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
03-09-2015, 11:22 AM
Rockets been a one man show with Harden with Howard always injured lately. Wouldn't be shocked Rockets eventually trade Howard. Then he ends up being re-flipped a few times at end of his career base on name recognition like Shaq bounced around to a few teams at the end of his career. Could see Hawks trading for Howard within next 2 seasons.

Verbal Christ
03-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Kerr "we've got more important things to do .. meh"

then Morey retweets this gem:

http://i.imgur.com/ObaPwDJ.jpg

hilarious

Goose17
03-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Kerr "we've got more important things to do .. meh"

then Morey retweets this gem:

http://i.imgur.com/ObaPwDJ.jpg

hilarious

So he agrees then? Because that stat supports Green as DPOY. When he's off the court the opponent scores more. Way more.

Nice to see a rival GM root for our guy. That's when you know he's deserving, when ANOTHER GM does it, not when your GM does.

D-Leethal
03-09-2015, 03:15 PM
^^^ Unless I am misunderstanding I think he is bashing Kerr, for bashing him, for clamouring for his guy, while Kerr is clamouring for his guy.

Try to figure that one out.

kdspurman
03-09-2015, 03:24 PM
^^^ Unless I am misunderstanding I think he is bashing Kerr, for bashing him, for clamouring for his guy, while Kerr is clamouring for his guy.

Yah. My take as well lol

Tony_Starks
03-09-2015, 07:50 PM
Why is this even threadworthy? It's no surprise what Morey said and this certainly isn't the first time a GM has campaigned for his player to win MVP, nor will it be the last.

Better question: why post in a thread you deem unthreadworthy?

HeatFan
03-09-2015, 10:21 PM

Exactly!!

mightybosstone
03-09-2015, 11:40 PM

Under the misguided hope that PSD posters will someday grow a brain and learn that not every single thought they have or morsel of media dribble they read is worthy of a thread. Then again, I suppose that's not likely to ever happen...

Tony_Starks
03-09-2015, 11:48 PM

Under the misguided hope that PSD posters will someday grow a brain and learn that not every single thought they have or morsel of media dribble they read is worthy of a thread. Then again, I suppose that's not likely to ever happen...

.....or perhaps they are using the part of the brain responsible for recognizing and enjoying humor and are merely allowing your GM to provide them access to countless amounts of dopamine per tweet, quote, and interview?

JJ_JKidd
03-10-2015, 12:37 AM
Bye Harden Hello again Lebron James sez the "analysts."

nastynice
03-10-2015, 01:04 AM
hah, analysts is smoking something STRONG

Scoots
03-10-2015, 01:10 AM

I think it's funny that Morey took a quote that was taken out of context by ESPN and made it look like Kerr was campaigning for one of his players, just like when Kerr was asked about Curry as an MVP he said essentially "I don't care" but Morey, who loves a show, made it about himself :)

Morey IS funny and a jokester, but he's also totally promoting his team at every oportunity.

Also, people have said Kerr said things about "another GM" ... Bob Myers is the Warriors GM, not Kerr :)

PraiseJesus
03-10-2015, 01:18 AM
Steph Curry is clearly the MVP

tredigs
03-10-2015, 01:25 AM
Steph Curry is clearly the MVP

Are you sure? At this point last season you had written him off and said he'd never be as good as Kyrie Irving due to Kyrie's ability to do it in the high pressure moments (you were talking about the All Star Game...).

PraiseJesus
03-10-2015, 01:32 AM
Are you sure? At this point last season you had written him off and said he'd never be as good as Kyrie Irving due to Kyrie's ability to do it in the high pressure moments (you were talking about the All Star Game...).

You clearly don't remember who predicted that Curry would be an MVP during his rookie season

Me

Kyrie will be a better playoff player though for the reasons I mentioned. Cavs are my favorite to win it all this year

Ariza's Better
03-10-2015, 01:32 AM
Holy ****, I forgot about this guy. Didn't he also say kyrie would lead a team to a championship before curry because curry didn't win a 3 point contest?

PraiseJesus
03-10-2015, 01:34 AM
Holy ****, I forgot about this guy. Didn't he also say kyrie would lead a team to a championship before curry because curry didn't win a 3 point contest?

mY PREDICTION IS LOOKING PRETTY GOOD RIGHT NOW ;)

Saddletramp
03-10-2015, 01:39 AM
I think it's funny that Morey took a quote that was taken out of context by ESPN and made it look like Kerr was campaigning for one of his players, just like when Kerr was asked about Curry as an MVP he said essentially "I don't care" but Morey, who loves a show, made it about himself :)

Kinda like when Morey was just asked a question at that conference that you mentioned earlier?:

Morey IS funny and a jokester, but he's also totally promoting his team at every oportunity.

Also, people have said Kerr said things about "another GM" ... Bob Myers is the Warriors GM, not Kerr :)

What's wrong with that? It shows he believes in his player. And it's not like he's taking a week off to go on a tour of all the major newspapers like a politician or an actor promoting a movie. Jeez, who cares.

Saddletramp
03-10-2015, 01:43 AM

So, Kyrie's better than Lebron now? Ok then.

tredigs
03-10-2015, 01:48 AM

hahah yes, I loved that part especially. Because a single ASG where nobody tries on D and 3pt contests (where there is no D) are great sample sizes and litmus tests.

He must have been so conflicted when Curry won it this year though : /

PraiseJesus
03-10-2015, 01:51 AM
hahah yes, I loved that part especially. Because a single ASG where nobody tries on D and 3pt contests (where there is no D) are great sample sizes and litmus tests.

He must have been so conflicted when Curry won it this year though : /

R. Westbrook won this year.

He is garbage too right?

Saddletramp
03-10-2015, 02:08 AM

He is garbage too right?

Do you even watch basketball?

PraiseJesus
03-10-2015, 02:10 AM
Do you even watch basketball?

1988 Michael Jordan* Guard United States Chicago Bulls
1989 Karl Malone Forward United States Utah Jazz
1990 Magic Johnson* Guard United States Los Angeles Lakers (4)
1991 Charles Barkley* Forward United States Philadelphia 76ers (4)
1992 Magic Johnson* (2) Guard United States Los Angeles Lakers (5)
1993[b] John Stockton* Guard United States Utah Jazz (2)
1993[b] Karl Malone* (2) Forward United States Utah Jazz (3)
1994 Scottie Pippen* Forward/Guard United States Chicago Bulls (2)
1995 Mitch Richmond* Guard United States Sacramento Kings (6)
1996 Michael Jordan* (2) Guard United States Chicago Bulls (3)
1997 Glen Rice Forward United States Charlotte Hornets
1998 Michael Jordan* (3) Guard United States Chicago Bulls (4)
1999 Not awarded as the game was canceled due to the league's lockout.[3]
2000[b] Shaquille O'Neal Center United States Los Angeles Lakers (6)
2000[b] Tim Duncan^ Forward/Center United States[c] San Antonio Spurs (2)
2001 Allen Iverson Guard United States Philadelphia 76ers (5)
2002 Kobe Bryant^ Guard United States Los Angeles Lakers (7)
2003 Kevin Garnett^ Forward United States Minnesota Timberwolves
2004 Shaquille O'Neal (2) Center United States Los Angeles Lakers (8)
2005 Allen Iverson (2) Guard United States Philadelphia 76ers (6)
2006 LeBron James^ Forward United States Cleveland Cavaliers
2007 Kobe Bryant^ (2) Guard United States Los Angeles Lakers (9)
2008 LeBron James^ (2) Forward United States Cleveland Cavaliers (2)
2009[b] Kobe Bryant^ (3) Guard United States Los Angeles Lakers (10)
2009[b] Shaquille O'Neal (3) Center United States Phoenix Suns
2010 Dwyane Wade^ Guard United States Miami Heat
2011 Kobe Bryant^ (4) Guard United States Los Angeles Lakers (11)
2012 Kevin Durant^ Forward United States Oklahoma City Thunder (1)
2013 Chris Paul^ Guard United States Los Angeles Clippers (2)
2014 Kyrie Irving^ Guard United States[a] Cleveland Cavaliers (3)
2015 Russell Westbrook^ Guard United States Oklahoma City Thunder (2)

There is all the ASG mvps since 1988.

Who on that list isnt a Hall of Famer or Future one?

nastynice
03-10-2015, 02:44 AM
glen rice

Goose17
03-10-2015, 02:52 AM
glen rice

And Kyrie.

tredigs
03-10-2015, 02:58 AM

He is garbage too right?

I love the 'jump to conclusions' map you're offering. The stupidity of rating X player over Y because of an ASG appearance doesn't preclude the guy from also being good. If you're playing 25+ minutes in an ASG, chances are you're good. That's put on blast if you're also one of the 3 players in the game who are trying.

PraiseJesus
03-10-2015, 02:58 AM
And Kyrie.

I beg to differ on Kyire ;)

He might get his first right this year. Maybe the first of many.

He's legit

PraiseJesus
03-10-2015, 03:00 AM
I love the 'jump to conclusions' map you're offering. The stupidity of rating X player over Y because of an ASG appearance doesn't preclude the guy from also being good. If you're playing 25+ minutes in an ASG, chances are you're good. That's put on blast if you're also one of the 3 players in the game who are trying.

It appears you dont understand the asg too much.

IN a game of alpha males, who is the most alpha? That's really what it is. Kyrie, at his young age, was the one that year. Mistake???? Maybe.

But I've seen enough of him to think that Iriving has a knack for performing his best when the best moments arrive.

Lets wait and see the playooffs :)

Lakers + Giants
03-10-2015, 03:05 AM
Oh, you're alive?

You were living under a rock ever since the giants won it all huh?:moon::win:

tredigs
03-10-2015, 03:13 AM

IN a game of alpha males, who is the most alpha? That's really what it is. Kyrie, at his young age, was the one that year. Mistake???? Maybe.

But I've seen enough of him to think that Iriving has a knack for performing his best when the best moments arrive.

Lets wait and see the playooffs :)
And with this logic why, do you suppose, nobody seems to give two *****?

tredigs
03-10-2015, 03:19 AM
Also, who do you consider the best player on the Thunder now? KD was in that ASG. He had 3 points and stopped playing after 10 minutes.

Goose17
03-10-2015, 03:35 AM
I beg to differ on Kyire ;)

He might get his first right this year. Maybe the first of many.

He's legit

Put LeBron and Love on the Knicks squad and Bargnani might get his first this year. Doesn't make him a future HOF guy.

Saddletramp
03-10-2015, 04:34 AM
1988 Michael Jordan* Guard United States Chicago Bulls
1989 Karl Malone Forward United States Utah Jazz
1990 Magic Johnson* Guard United States Los Angeles Lakers (4)
1991 Charles Barkley* Forward United States Philadelphia 76ers (4)
1992 Magic Johnson* (2) Guard United States Los Angeles Lakers (5)
1993[b] John Stockton* Guard United States Utah Jazz (2)
1993[b] Karl Malone* (2) Forward United States Utah Jazz (3)
1994 Scottie Pippen* Forward/Guard United States Chicago Bulls (2)
1995 Mitch Richmond* Guard United States Sacramento Kings (6)
1996 Michael Jordan* (2) Guard United States Chicago Bulls (3)
1997 Glen Rice Forward United States Charlotte Hornets
1998 Michael Jordan* (3) Guard United States Chicago Bulls (4)
1999 Not awarded as the game was canceled due to the league's lockout.[3]
2000[b] Shaquille O'Neal Center United States Los Angeles Lakers (6)
2000[b] Tim Duncan^ Forward/Center United States[c] San Antonio Spurs (2)
2001 Allen Iverson Guard United States Philadelphia 76ers (5)
2002 Kobe Bryant^ Guard United States Los Angeles Lakers (7)
2003 Kevin Garnett^ Forward United States Minnesota Timberwolves
2004 Shaquille O'Neal (2) Center United States Los Angeles Lakers (8)
2005 Allen Iverson (2) Guard United States Philadelphia 76ers (6)
2006 LeBron James^ Forward United States Cleveland Cavaliers
2007 Kobe Bryant^ (2) Guard United States Los Angeles Lakers (9)
2008 LeBron James^ (2) Forward United States Cleveland Cavaliers (2)
2009[b] Kobe Bryant^ (3) Guard United States Los Angeles Lakers (10)
2009[b] Shaquille O'Neal (3) Center United States Phoenix Suns
2010 Dwyane Wade^ Guard United States Miami Heat
2011 Kobe Bryant^ (4) Guard United States Los Angeles Lakers (11)
2012 Kevin Durant^ Forward United States Oklahoma City Thunder (1)
2013 Chris Paul^ Guard United States Los Angeles Clippers (2)
2014 Kyrie Irving^ Guard United States[a] Cleveland Cavaliers (3)
2015 Russell Westbrook^ Guard United States Oklahoma City Thunder (2)

There is all the ASG mvps since 1988.

Who on that list isnt a Hall of Famer or Future one?

Hey, at least you can cut and paste. Tredigs was talking about the 3 point contest, which is what you guys were talking about. Not the ASG MVP.

mightybosstone
03-10-2015, 09:12 AM

How is it looking pretty good? Cleveland is a damn good basketball team, but if there is a favorite to win the championship right now, it is absolutely the Golden State Warriors. They're not just the best team in basketball. They're playing like one of the best teams the league has ever seen.

And to say Irving will be better than Curry at this point is pretty laughable right now. Curry is a mile above Irving right now as a basketball player. I'll admit that Irving is better at 22 than Curry was, but Curry also made a monumental leap in the last 3-4 years that Irving has yet to make himself. But to say that Irving will be better than Curry because of ANYTHING that happens during All-Star weekend is just on a whole other level of ridiculous.

mightybosstone
03-10-2015, 09:22 AM
As far as the All-Star MVP theory goes, that one is about as flawed a piece of logic to justify someone's Hall of Fame candidacy as I've ever seen. Here's a fun fact for you. The following players never won an All-Star MVP: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwon, Moses Malone, David Robinson, Dirk Nowitzki and John Havlicek. That's six guys who you could make a great case as being top 25 all-time players. Are you going to tell me that Tom Chambers, Glen Rice and Randy freaking Smith are more deserving of being Hall of Famers than those guys?

kdspurman
03-10-2015, 12:45 PM
This is an interesting read.

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2015/03/10/james-harden-might-be-the-mvp-but-we-might-be-missing-the-point/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Verbal Christ
03-10-2015, 12:58 PM
This is an interesting read.

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2015/03/10/james-harden-might-be-the-mvp-but-we-might-be-missing-the-point/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

poorly written piece on a good subject. he allows a bit too much 'bias' to slip out.

well then, using the formula of BEST PLAYER BEST TEAM ... I nominate (drum roll) Paul Milsap as NBA MVP 2015! I mean like the guy said, the Warriors destroyed Harden, so with the same logic Atlanta destroyed Golden State, such a no brainer.

kdspurman
03-10-2015, 01:12 PM
poorly written piece on a good subject. he allows a bit too much 'bias' to slip out.

well then, using the formula of BEST PLAYER BEST TEAM ... I nominate (drum roll) Paul Milsap as NBA MVP 2015! I mean like the guy said, the Warriors destroyed Harden, so with the same logic Atlanta destroyed Golden State, such a no brainer.

Yea, definitely some bias in how it was written, but some i think is a little true as well.

Verbal Christ
03-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Yea, definitely some bias in how it was written, but some i think is a little true as well.

heres a piece he did on the Spurs.
http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2015/01/28/san-antonio-spurs-window-slightly-ajar/

kdspurman
03-10-2015, 01:37 PM
heres a piece he did on the Spurs.
http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2015/01/28/san-antonio-spurs-window-slightly-ajar/

Ah yes, I remember reading this. Thought it was funny... (couple of these usually come up each year, I'm used to it) But yea. I thought it was interesting about Harden, mainly the forcing it part. Which seemed partly true. Now as a team/owner, I get it, and it makes sense. Just thought it was relevant to this particular Morey thread.

PraiseJesus
03-10-2015, 03:30 PM
How is it looking pretty good? Cleveland is a damn good basketball team, but if there is a favorite to win the championship right now, it is absolutely the Golden State Warriors. They're not just the best team in basketball. They're playing like one of the best teams the league has ever seen.

And to say Irving will be better than Curry at this point is pretty laughable right now. Curry is a mile above Irving right now as a basketball player. I'll admit that Irving is better at 22 than Curry was, but Curry also made a monumental leap in the last 3-4 years that Irving has yet to make himself. But to say that Irving will be better than Curry because of ANYTHING that happens during All-Star weekend is just on a whole other level of ridiculous.

Im a GSW fan and I admit that they will have trouble in the playoffs

Goose17
03-10-2015, 06:07 PM
You're a Warriors fan^??? Your title under your username says you're a Lakers fan.

Lakers + Giants
03-10-2015, 06:21 PM
You're a Warriors fan^??? Your title under your username says you're a Lakers fan.:burn:

Easy to jump ship when you're team is garbage. Whats next? **** the dodgers, "I'm a giants fan now??" :laugh2:

PraiseJesus
03-10-2015, 07:07 PM
You're a Warriors fan^??? Your title under your username says you're a Lakers fan.

Lakers are my #1 team, GSW #2

Love my Splash Brothers :)

Scoots
03-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Kinda like when Morey was just asked a question at that conference that you mentioned earlier?:

What's wrong with that? It shows he believes in his player. And it's not like he's taking a week off to go on a tour of all the major newspapers like a politician or an actor promoting a movie. Jeez, who cares.

I didn't say there was anything wrong about it, I just said it was funny that Morey DECIDED to take it as a slight just so he could make it a story.

Scoots
03-10-2015, 07:27 PM

Curry is 4-0 over Harden, Harden is 0-2 against Milsap, so Milsap over Harden has some limited merit, however Milsap's contribution to the Hawks is not nearly as big as Harden or Curry's contribution to their teams. Curry gets a chance to be 1-1 vs Milsap next week :)

Saddletramp
03-10-2015, 07:34 PM
I didn't say there was anything wrong about it, I just said it was funny that Morey DECIDED to take it as a slight just so he could make it a story.

So Kerr's quote was taken out of context but, while Morey's was as well, it's thread worthy? And the only reason Morey mentioned Kerr's DPOTY quote was because Kerr trolled Morey on a question that Morey was asked and then totally contradicted himself.

I really don't care, and I don't think you're being a jerk or anything, it's just funny that Morey is asked a question, answers it, then Kerr is asked basically the same question, trolls Morey, then later contradicts himself by praising his guy for a different award yet Morey is the guy who gets pushed around and people laugh off and then defend Kerr.

Saddletramp
03-10-2015, 07:58 PM
Curry is 4-0 over Harden, Harden is 0-2 against Milsap, so Milsap over Harden has some limited merit, however Milsap's contribution to the Hawks is not nearly as big as Harden or Curry's contribution to their teams. Curry gets a chance to be 1-1 vs Milsap next week :)

So, is it "best player on best team", "biggest contributions to a great team", best stats, best head to head vrs other MVP candidates, best player at the deepest position, best player in the world, exactly what is it?

To me, Westbrook has been putting up amazing stats but his team isn't winning those games. Davis hasn't led his team to a topside record and isn't even in the playoffs as of today and Lebron hasn't been dominate all year so it's between, to me, Curry and Harden. I'd be ok with either guy, honestly, but one guy has a stacked team with a great system while the other guy carries almost the entire load for his team with a weak coach/system and is only 6 or 7 games back. And I honestly think that if Curry and Harden switched places, the Warriors wouldn't miss a beat while I don't think Curry can do what Harden's been doing if he's the only guy opposing teams have to stop.

But Curry will probably win it and there'll be no objection from me.

Scoots
03-10-2015, 08:06 PM
So Kerr's quote was taken out of context but, while Morey's was as well, it's thread worthy? And the only reason Morey mentioned Kerr's DPOTY quote was because Kerr trolled Morey on a question that Morey was asked and then totally contradicted himself.

I really don't care, and I don't think you're being a jerk or anything, it's just funny that Morey is asked a question, answers it, then Kerr is asked basically the same question, trolls Morey, then later contradicts himself by praising his guy for a different award yet Morey is the guy who gets pushed around and people laugh off and then defend Kerr.

Find where I said ANYTHING negative about Morey. All I said was it was funny. How is that negative?

And yes, Kerr is answering pointed questions honestly, that is not the same thing as making statements without being asked ... on twitter for instance ... and if you then take a response out of context and say Kerr is promoting his players for an award then you are missing the point. Morey is loud about promoting his team, NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! But Kerr is just doing his league mandated press time and answering questions ... the two are not the same thing.

In the spirit of Morey being funny ... I found this to be a funny shot at a former MVP https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/572239283337076736/photo/1

Scoots
03-10-2015, 08:09 PM
exactly what is it?

It's a talking point is ALL that it is. There is no "exact" about it. It's just jabber to promote the NBA.

If Harden won the award I'd be fine with that. Nobody can question what he has meant to the Rockets.

But for me, right now, it HAS to be Curry or Harden. Westbrook, LeBron, and Davis have missed too much time.

Tony_Starks
03-10-2015, 08:14 PM

Find where I said ANYTHING negative about Morey. All I said was it was funny. How is that negative?

And yes, Kerr is answering pointed questions honestly, that is not the same thing as making statements without being asked ... on twitter for instance ... and if you then take a response out of context and say Kerr is promoting his players for an award then you are missing the point. Morey is loud about promoting his team, NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! But Kerr is just doing his league mandated press time and answering questions ... the two are not the same thing.

In the spirit of Morey being funny ... I found this to be a funny shot at a former MVP https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/572239283337076736/photo/1

Morey kind of reminds me of Steinbrenner behind the desk on Seinfeld......

Saddletramp
03-10-2015, 09:11 PM

Never said you were being negative.

And yes, Kerr is answering pointed questions honestly, that is not the same thing as making statements without being asked ... on twitter for instance ... and if you then take a response out of context and say Kerr is promoting his players for an award then you are missing the point. [b] Morey is loud about promoting his team, NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! [b] But Kerr is just doing his league mandated press time and answering questions ... the two are not the same thing.

If there is nothing wrong with that, then shouldn't people blow off what Kerr said? Isn't that the whole purpose of this thread? To downplay Morey because Kerr lobbed an lol Morey's way?

End of the day, it doesn't matter either way. The guys are just passive aggressively funnin' with each other and we're probably reading too much into it.

Scoots
03-10-2015, 11:34 PM
No, the purpose of the thread was to discuss what Morey said. Kerr never sent anything Morey's way. Myers did, but Myers and Kerr are not the same person.

Saddletramp
03-11-2015, 12:10 AM
No, the purpose of the thread was to discuss what Morey said. Kerr never sent anything Morey's way. Myers did, but Myers and Kerr are not the same person.

I misspoke. I meant after Kerr then Morey got chippy and ribbing. And Kerr did send a jab Morey's way. Page 2.

Scoots
03-11-2015, 03:39 PM
I misspoke. I meant after Kerr then Morey got chippy and ribbing. And Kerr did send a jab Morey's way. Page 2.

Yeah, okay, that is at Morey ... but it was in the context of Strauss talking to him about Morey promoting Harden brought up by Strauss so it wasn't just out of the blue.

You do realize that Morey is a showman and a shameless promoter right? This isn't all happening in a vacuum.

I think OKC has started promoting Westbrook for MVP too. Nothing wrong with it, but I think Morey likes to make noise.

Bob Myers on the other hand, he REALLY tried to show up Morey, but it's entirely possible they are buddies I don't know.

houstonfan
03-11-2015, 04:13 PM

Harden is 0-1 vs Milsap. Didn't play the second one because he kicked Lebron in the testicles.

Scoots
03-11-2015, 04:26 PM
Harden is 0-1 vs Milsap. Didn't play the second one because he kicked Lebron in the testicles.

And who hasn't had that impulse a time or two :)

MILLERHIGHLIFE
03-11-2015, 04:36 PM

Lets wait and see the playooffs :) Cavs weren't even playoffs that year. Irving shouldn't of been in the game. He got lucky Holiday was traded out west and a bunch of PG's were injured that year. Then he chucked his way to MVP. Just there in right place at right time. Kinda like MVP from Richmond that one year when he caught fire draining a ton of threes.

PraiseJesus
03-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Cavs weren't even playoffs that year. Irving shouldn't of been in the game. He got lucky Holiday was traded out west and a bunch of PG's were injured that year. Then he chucked his way to MVP. Just there in right place at right time. Kinda like MVP from Richmond that one year when he caught fire draining a ton of threes.

57 pts for Kyrie the other night