PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets fired Brian Shaw

lamzoka
03-03-2015, 01:34 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Denver has fired coach Brian Shaw, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Zackthesack
03-03-2015, 01:45 PM
Sucks that he was the scapegoat, he was a given a team that didn't fit his scheme whatsoever.

NYKnickFanatic
03-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Come join the Knicks' staff.

Chronz
03-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Another Phil disciple bites the curb

colinskik
03-03-2015, 02:04 PM

I wonder if he'd be willing to go back to an assistant job, especially with Fisher at the helm.

Also, what's his rapport with players like? Seems like he definitely lost his team in DEN.

tp13baby
03-03-2015, 02:24 PM
I wonder if he'd be willing to go back to an assistant job, especially with Fisher at the helm.

Also, what's his rapport with players like? Seems like he definitely lost his team in DEN.

He is awful with players. Pretty much calls them out in the media all the time. Really unprofessional. Even guys like Afflalo who is the most professional player to play in Denver since Billups called him out. He isn't a head coach type. The lack of respect he showed his players is the reason they quit on him. Not one player on Denver liked him and that's documented.

Didn't fit his scheme but you got to play to our strengths to get wins. He didn't do that.

TheNumber37
03-03-2015, 02:27 PM

This is what I came to say.

I'd love to give him a job right away.

I could see him joining our staff as an assistant. Phil could easily convince him. When it's you're first year as a coach and you get fired, you go to the bottom of the list.

Knicks can afford to match his 2 million a year salary to be the top assistant.

tp13baby
03-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Sucks that he was the scapegoat, he was a given a team that didn't fit his scheme whatsoever.

He isn't a head coach. Completely ignorant and unprofessional.

lamzoka
03-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Nuggets won 57 games in 2012-2013 with George Karl, then fired him

They won 56 games in total since

tp13baby
03-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Nuggets won 57 games in 2012-2013 with George Karl, then fired him

They won 56 games in total since

That'll happen when over the last 2 years you are the most injury riddled team in the league with a coach that doesn't play to your strengths and has no respect from your players.

Blitzace137
03-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Another Phil disciple bites the curb

You think Kerr is next :)

Vinylman
03-03-2015, 02:57 PM

come on dude... you just destroyed his inane theory...

IversonIsKrazy
03-03-2015, 03:02 PM
Long overdue. I don't even understand why he was hired in the first place, clearly this team was not going to benefit from a Phil jackson protege of the Triangle system. This Denver team was so good, they lost Iggy, but damn this was still a deep team. Ty/Nate, Afflalo/Foye, Gallo/CHandler, Faried/McGee/Hickson I think. THere was prolly a couple of more players. Imagine Coach Bud or another Pop protege running that team, what they could've done.

And for the record, Kerr is more of a Pop protege than Phil. U see the way Warriors play this year? A lot more comparable to the ball movement of the Spurs, rather than the only thing Phil has taught his ppl, the Triangle System.

Hawkeye15
03-03-2015, 03:02 PM

tell me, who was Kerr's coach his last 5 seasons?

deaner
03-03-2015, 03:12 PM
I would love to see Shaw go to the Knicks. Watch all free agents not even answer phil's call in July.

Chronz
03-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Kerr worked as an assistant to Phil? When? If youre talking about him as a player Kerr has the pop factor helping him. You don't C MJ being a great suit.

Vinylman
03-03-2015, 03:38 PM
tell me, who was Kerr's coach his last 5 seasons?

There was more than one... but don't bother with details...

He probably learned a lot watching Laker film those first 3 years he was in SA as Phil's teams three-peated

Chronz
03-03-2015, 03:39 PM
come on dude... you just destroyed his inane theory...
It's not a theory. His lack of a coaching branch hell any sort of managerial placwment has been well documented. Not to mention the absolutely horrendous trades he clamored for as a coach and gm

Chronz
03-03-2015, 03:40 PM

He probably learned a lot watching Laker film those first 3 years he was in SA as Phil's teams three-peated
Kerr ain't running the triangle and definitely became more of a coach during his bench days.

Vinylman
03-03-2015, 03:44 PM
It's not a theory. His lack of a coaching branch hell any sort of managerial placwment has been well documented. Not to mention the absolutely horrendous trades he clamored for as a coach and gm

yep... those horrible pick ups he demanded when he went to LA to run his system

You know like

Salley/Shaw/Harper/Rice/Etc....

TheNumber37
03-03-2015, 03:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY6_bHropV8

Seems to be a mix of BOTH the triangle and Pop's Motion offense

Vinylman
03-03-2015, 03:45 PM
Kerr ain't running the triangle and definitely became more of a coach during his bench days.

obviously he is not running the triangle.. nor is he running the offense Pop was when he played there...

nice try though

JasonJohnHorn
03-03-2015, 03:54 PM
I would have let him finish out the season at least, and likely take on next season. This Nuggets team is nowhere near contending, and I don't think its a coaching issue.

Hawkeye15
03-03-2015, 03:59 PM

Kerr was never a Phil assistant to my knowledge, and sorry, I don't buy that a seasoned vet sitting on Pop's bench his last handful of years didn't absorb a lot of that. In fact, you learn more watching after you have played than you do just playing.

Watching GS, I don't see a single element of Tex's offense either.

D-Leethal
03-03-2015, 04:21 PM
Kerr was never a Phil assistant to my knowledge, and sorry, I don't buy that a seasoned vet sitting on Pop's bench his last handful of years didn't absorb a lot of that. In fact, you learn more watching after you have played than you do just playing.

Watching the Coach Nick video posted above, I'd disagree. It was from summer league as a "look ahead" - I can't really speak to whether or not its the same sets they are running now but I'd imagine it is because coaches pretty much always run their regular season offense in summer league.

IndyRealist
03-03-2015, 04:29 PM
He is awful with players. Pretty much calls them out in the media all the time. Really unprofessional. Even guys like Afflalo who is the most professional player to play in Denver since Billups called him out. He isn't a head coach type. The lack of respect he showed his players is the reason they quit on him. Not one player on Denver liked him and that's documented.

Didn't fit his scheme but you got to play to our strengths to get wins. He didn't do that.
Pacers players loved him.

Vinylman
03-03-2015, 04:34 PM

what unique component of Pop's offense run during Kerr's time in SA is Kerr running now? it works both ways my friend

Zackthesack
03-03-2015, 05:04 PM
That'll happen when over the last 2 years you are the most injury riddled team in the league with a coach that doesn't play to your strengths and has no respect from your players.

They brought him in to play a different style, they didn't bring him in to play fast paced like they did under Karl. The guy was set up to fail, the team is full of a bunch of immature ****s.

slashsnake
03-03-2015, 06:09 PM
I would have let him finish out the season at least, and likely take on next season. This Nuggets team is nowhere near contending, and I don't think its a coaching issue.

Agree on the second sentence, but him calling the players quitters, saying he needed to read books to communicate with them, the players doing the 1,2,3,6 chant in the huddle (6 more weeks till the season is over) and him trying to cover it up... He'd lost it from the moment he thought he could use Faried and McGee like West and Hibbert offensively and pissed off Andre Miller. I don't see any reason to keep him a day longer.

Bad choice on the management side of things to not try and get his players sooner too, and it turned toxic.

Usually I am ok when a coach wears out that welcome and understood George was at that point. I also know usually it doesn't work out as good as you would plan but am ok with a new chance (a-la my eagles with Andy Reid). But that was the one case where I saw a team I like doing that and didn't want it to happen. Nuggets aren't going to compete for a championship anytime soon, but Karl provided entertaining ball for 5 months out of the year for me and I was completely ok with that, even if it ended in a 1st round exit.

tp13baby
03-03-2015, 06:50 PM
They brought him in to play a different style, they didn't bring him in to play fast paced like they did under Karl. The guy was set up to fail, the team is full of a bunch of immature ****s.

Yeah they brought him to be a half court team. But a 100 percent transformation with that roster wasn't going to work. Set up to fail, sure.

Yeah cause guys like Afflalo, Nelson, Andre Miller and Ty Lawson are awful professionals. They hated him for good reason.

Hawkeye15
03-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Watching the Coach Nick video posted above, I'd disagree. It was from summer league as a "look ahead" - I can't really speak to whether or not its the same sets they are running now but I'd imagine it is because coaches pretty much always run their regular season offense in summer league.

I will check it out when I get home, but watching GS, I haven't seen anything that resembles execution of the triangle. I also don't see Pop's offense, outside a bit of the spacing and off ball movement patterns.

Hawkeye15
03-03-2015, 06:53 PM
what unique component of Pop's offense run during Kerr's time in SA is Kerr running now? it works both ways my friend

sure it does. point being made, Kerr isn't a disciple of Phil, the ones that keep failing.

Phantom Dreamer
03-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Kerr worked as an assistant to Phil? When? If youre talking about him as a player Kerr has the pop factor helping him. You don't C MJ being a great suit.Well, MJ just became a billionaire, that's the definition of a "great suit".

SF8
03-03-2015, 11:04 PM
It was pretty obvious that Shaw was gonna be fired. He's an idiot, how can any HC do something like this?

http://www.denverpost.com/dempsey/ci_27618378/hey-cancun-here-come-nuggets

Chronz
03-04-2015, 12:06 AM
yep... those horrible pick ups he demanded when he went to LA to run his system

You know like

Salley/Shaw/Harper/Rice/Etc....
He was behind the rice trade? Man did he get tapped. Im talking more about wanting to trade away Kobe and wanting Sean May over Bynum. Lakers never gave him that power for a reason.

D-Leethal
03-04-2015, 12:11 AM
sure it does. point being made, Kerr isn't a disciple of Phil, the ones that keep failing.

I think Kerr himself would tell you he is a disciple of Phil, along with the other great coaches he played for. GSW was too good to pass up but he does nothing but speak glowingly about the things he learned with his time under Phil.

Chronz
03-04-2015, 12:15 AM
obviously he is not running the triangle.. nor is he running the offense Pop was when he played there...

nice try though

Which system does his most resemble? And It's no try, its well documented

flea
03-04-2015, 01:55 AM
Running a triple post offense with the 2 best shooters in the game is something Mark Jackson would do.